- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

This was written by Simply written, not by me. I am just posting it for her.

~Lorie

 

 

 

Prologue

 

(When we left our family they were making the move from Hawkin's Island to Spirit Pass in the beautiful Rockies. Joshua, along with his wife Emma, managed the property, and their grown son, Dusty, was one of the ranch hands. Terry and Griffin, along with Elian, would be arriving soon.)


Where were they when we left them:

 

Jessi sat next to Gus and was squeezing his hand tightly. She was so excited. Aaron slipped his hand into Justin's and whispered, "It's a good thing there is a place for JC and KC to get fresh air. We can't let them lose here."

"That is definitely true. Your cats were okay outside near the house on the island, but not out here in this big space."

"Gussy, what kind of American Indian did Daddy say Mr. Josh was?"

"He is Apache and Comanche," Gus responded.

"How can he be both?"

Gus groaned a little bit, "Dad, she's asking questions again."

"We'll have lots of time to get to know Joshua and Emma."

"Are you sure she will let me bake cookies with her?"

"She is very excited about having your help in the kitchen."

 

After debarking, Jessi moved next to Brian, who picked her up. "Daddy, they are really big. I feel very small here."

"Well, Jessi, you have a big enough personality that you should never feel small." He turned his attention to Joshua, "Thanks for having this all lined up, Joshua."

"This beautiful lady must be Jessi."

Jessi nodded, "You're right, and you have a wife."

Joshua smiled, "Yes, I do. You can call her Miss Emma. She is looking forward to having another lady in the house. She gets tired of only having me around."

"I get tired of only having boys around, too," Jessi responded.

Justin and Aaron came behind, each carrying a cat carrier. "Mr. Joshua, I don't mean to rush anything, but my cats really want to get out."

"Well, you must be Aaron. I brought the extra vehicle just for an emergency like this. Why don't the seven of you take off. One of the ranch hands is coming over right now. Oh, it's our son," he pointed at a twenty-something young man coming on horseback. "Dusty, come meet the family before they take off so the cats can stretch their legs."

The handsome young man touched the brim of his hat as his dad introduced each of them.  When he got to Jessi, Dusty dropped to one knee, "Hello, beautiful. Do you have a boyfriend?"

Jessi giggled, "No, and I don't have a girlfriend either."

"Phew, sounds like I have a chance."

"Your horse is very big."

"He is big but he's very gentle."

"Do you have any smaller horses?"

"It just so happens that about a month ago, we got two ponies and a small paint. They are all very calm and perfect for some new riders." Dusty stood up, "I hear a couple of cats need freedom. I usually eat breakfast with my folks. If that is still alright, we can set up a time to get to know them tomorrow."

Brian patted Dusty's shoulder. "You are always welcome to join us and I am sure they will take you up on the introductions tomorrow."

Justin had walked over to the SUV with the kids and the cats and they were all buckled in when Brian got in. Joshua came up to the driver's window, "We had a road built between here and the house. If Mr. Andrews will be flying out of here regularly, I thought we could use a better path. There is one fork in the road. Just stay to the left. The right will take you to the main road."

The children were quiet on the way to the house. They were absorbed by the forest all around them, and when there was a break in the trees they saw the vast mountains. Everything seemed so big.

"Look at these gorgeous children," Emma said as she met them at the door, "I hear there are some felines that are ready to stretch. "Young Aaron, as you can see we made a special place for your friends." She led him to the far side of the family room. There was an area with a sliding door. She opened it up and Aaron entered it. He opened both of the kennels and sat down by them, coaxing them out.

"Miss Emma, can you please shut the door? I think they will feel better if they feel more secure."

Emma smiled at the gentle little boy. "I will let you get them settled in. I placed a chair in there for you to sit in if you want to stay with them."

"Thank you," he said as she closed the door.

 

An hour later, Aaron had fallen asleep in the cat condo while Justin had taken the other kids and looked around the house. Brian walked into Gus' room, "So what do you think?"

"Dad, this place is really cool. When I go out on the balcony I can see something in a valley. I know they are animals but I can't tell if they are cows or horses."

"I think they are actually bison. I bet there are binoculars around here. We will ask Joshua at dinner tonight."

"Cool." Brian could tell that Gus was going to say more, "Dad, Emma sounds like Kate. I'm going to call Fiona tonight and tell her about this place, if that is okay."

"That sounds like a great idea. How are you feeling about all of this? Your dad and I know this is a big change, and being the oldest, it might be hardest for you."

"I think I am going to like it here. Do you think I can have my own cart to get around?"

"That's something we can talk about once we are settled. I am going to go find your dad and see if there is anything else we need to do before dinner."

 

After an early dinner, the kids were all ready for bed. Jessi and Aaron were sleeping soundly within minutes and Gus, though sleepy himself, stood on his balcony with a pair of binoculars Joshua lent him. "Dads, this is so amazing. The moon and stars are so bright I can see the bison down there."

"That is amazing, Gus!" Justin said, looking through the glasses for a minute. "It is getting chilly out here, Gus. Please don't stay out here too much longer."

"I'm coming in now. I will have to call Fi in the morning. The move has changed the time difference."

"Good thinking." Brian shut the doors as Justin helped Gus out of his jacket and made sure he was comfortable before they left him watching a movie.

Justin slipped his hand in Brian's as they descended the wide staircase and walked across the entry to their bedroom suite. Both of them dropped onto the bed without undressing. After a few moments, Brian reached over for Justin and pulled him close.

"I love it here, Brian. I know this all kind of fell together in four months, but I think it is the best thing we've done in a long time."

"I couldn't agree more. I'm glad it is just us for a while. Once Terry and Griff get here in a couple of months we will get back into work mode, but this summer is ours." As Brian talked, Justin undid Brian's fly and started unbuttoning his shirt. "Justin, I like where you're going with this. I might have just enough energy to slide into that tight..."

Justin's mouth stopped Brian's comment mid-sentence. They slowly removed each other's clothes, and as Brian entered him, Justin reached back and pulled Brian's head close so could feel Brian's chest against his back. "Let the next chapter of our life begin."

"I want our kids to know that we love each other and we love them. That is their Legacy."



Spirit Pass: The Legacy of Past and Future

Chapter 1

"Daddies, where are you?" Jessi's weepy voice drifted down the steps as she moved down the stairs. "I don't remember where your room is."

"Good morning, Jessi," Emma hurried out of the kitchen to comfort her. "Hello, Love. Did you sleep well?" Emma wrapped her arms around the little girl and kissed each cheek.  

She sniffled and said, "Miss Emma, do you know where my dads sleep?"

"I sure do." She extended her hand and Jessi took it. 

Hand in hand they walked into a hallway and then Emma rapped her knuckles on a door.  "Excuse me, gentlemen, but I found a waif looking for her daddies."

Brian stretched, he looked at the clock. "Shit," he said softly. "One second, ladies." He jumped up and grabbed a robe. Justin grabbed shorts to slip on while Brian walked to the door. He opened it and saw a timid Jessi with Emma. He dropped to his knee and pulled Jessi close. "Oh, Jessi, you're alright. I'm sorry you were scared."

Her voice was still a little shaky but she said, "I wasn't scared, Daddy."

"Of course you weren't, Love." Emma squeezed her hand. "You were in a strange home and still just a bit unsure of where things are. Since you are now with your papas, I will go back to the kitchen."

Brian stood with Jessi in his arms and from bed Justin said, "Thank you, Emma." Brian dropped on the bed and Justin reached for their daughter. "I am so sorry you couldn't find us. Did you call for us?" As Justin talked to Jess, Brian went to the bathroom and put some clothes on under his robe.

"I didn't call very loud. I was going to keep walking, but Miss Emma found me."

"I will make sure we put a monitor up there. That way you will just have to call for us and we will come."

"Okay, but now I know where your room is. I was going to go to Gus' room if Miss Emma hadn't come."

Brian had to smile at his brave little girl and laid back down. Jessi snuggled down between the men she loved and kissed both of them. "I'm fine now," she said with an upbeat tone and then she started talking about everything she wanted to do today. "Do you think we will have pancakes for breakfast? Will I get to pick my pony? When do you think Mr. Dusty will take me to the barn before breakfast?" 

"Woah, Jessi. We have all day to do all that and, remember, Dusty may have things that have to be done before he can introduce you." Justin hugged her tightly and Brian wrapped his arms around both of them.

"I think it is going to be a nice day. Maybe we can have a picnic for lunch somewhere on the ranch," Brian suggested. That will give us a chance to see some of the land."

Just then the door flew open and Aaron ran in, "Dads, Jessi is gone!"

Jessi sat up so her brother could see her. "I'm not gone. I'm right here!"

"Oh, good." Aaron sighed. "Your bedroom was empty." As he walked in, JC and KC followed, and soon the bed was full with four people and the two cats.

They planned part of the day and played with the cats for about half an hour before Gus arrived. "Family party without me?" He smiled at his family members. "Emma asked me to tell you that breakfast is ready anytime you're ready to eat."

Jessi got out of bed, "I'm hungry!"

"Me, too," Aaron agreed.

"We will be there in a couple minutes," Justin said. "Aaron, why don't you put the cats in the cat area. This place is very big and I think they will feel more comfortable there."

"Okay. Gus, can you carry KC?" he asked as he held JC. "I think they will love their new play area because they can even go outside but still be safe." Gus picked up the second cat and all of them headed to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry Jessi woke up a little scared this morning, but they seem to be excited to be here.  The island was amazing and I am sure we will enjoy visiting there, but I love the land here.  They will learn so much." Justin had started dressing as he spoke.

"I agree. There will be so much for them to see and experience here."

Once they both had put on sweats and a t-shirt, they left their room, and crossing the grand foyer they could smell all kinds of aromas. They entered the kitchen wing and Emma was helping the children get the food they wanted. "Sweet Aaron, let's stop at that. Trust me, you can have seconds and thirds but we don't want to waste it if you fill up both legs and your stomach."

"Ok, Miss Emma. Thank you." He smiled up at the woman he was already very fond of. He carried his plate to the table and joined Jessi and Gus who were already eating.

"Well, good morning again." Emma smiled at the men as they walked in. "May I say, your children have the best manners I have seen in a long time. They are so polite and caring."

"Thank you," Justin said as he looked at the spread of food, "We are very fortunate, although," he looked at their children and Brian continued.

"Don't let them fool you. They have their moments."

"Don't we all," Emma responded.

"So true," Brian agreed as he draped an arm over her shoulder.

"Dads, when I finish can I call Fiona in Ireland? I want to show her the house."

"Fiona? And she lives in my homeland? Who is this Fiona?"

"She's my best friend. They lived on our compound, but moved back home a year ago."

"I bet she is lovely." 

"She is," Gus beamed. He started eating quicker.

Brian put a hand on his shoulder as he walked past with his own plate of food. "You have plenty of time. Slow down. This looks too good to rush through." He turned to Emma, "We do not need this every morning."

"Oh, this is a welcome breakfast and a way for me to see what you like best. I hope you will share your favorites and what you really don't care for."

"We'll talk later, Emma. This is amazing." Justin took a bite of sausage.

"That is bison sausage. It is made locally." Joshua responded as he walked in and started loading his own plate. "We cull the herd when need be. Once a year we round them up. We look for any illnesses or injuries. This came from an injured cow. If we can't use the meat we give it out to one of the local tribes."

"How did the bison hurt itself? Aaron asked.

"We can't be positive, but Dusty found her after an ice storm, so she probably fell and broke her leg."

"And we are eating her?" Aaron looked at the last bite of meat on his plate.  

Gus stood, "You know where meat comes from, Aaron." Gus said with the tone only an older brother can have. He turned to Brian, "Can I go call Fi now?"

"Set your plate in the sink first," Justin said and then quickly looked at Emma.

"That would be wonderful," Emma said as Gus followed instruction and then left the room.

Joshua continued, "We can't let an animal suffer and my people don't let anything go to waste. A bison can feed many families and they use the pelt too."

"Do you think I can see them closer up sometime?" Aaron asked.

"I am sure you can. There is a lot of area they roam, so the next time they are closer to the house I will let you know."

"Thank you." Aaron put his plate in the sink and went into the cat area to play with his friends.

"I'm going to go get dressed, Daddies. Are you going to be here when I come back down?" She asked warily. 

"One of us will be in here or we will come up and tell you our plans." Brian hugged her and she skipped out of the kitchen.

"I have to admit, I am in love with all three of them already. Gus is getting to that hard age, isn't he? Did it have something to do with his friend leaving?" Emma asked as she refilled everyone's mugs with fresh coffee.

"That definitely started it. Fi's mother married my cousin," Brian said. We had lived in Ireland for a few months and Fi and Gus became fast friends. They moved to the states and worked with us, but they lost a child and Kate had a very rough time of it, understandably. Then they moved back to Ireland, which was very hard on Gus."

Justin continued, "They had been best friends since they were six. He is a very loyal friend and Fiona was all he needed. This past year was hard on him. He was re-finding himself, but I think he is over the hardest part and I hope he will find that kids here are open to him and I already can tell nature is sucking him in here. We love that our kids have had a chance to see different cultures and seem to adjust very well."

Emma glanced at Aaron to see if he was listening to them but when she saw he had gone into the room with the cats, she asked, "Your boys look so much like the two of you."

"She's a nosy one," Joshua said, standing up and kissing his wife. "I need to get to work. If you don't want to tell her, tell her it is none of her business."

Once Joshua left, Justin answered Emma's question. "Gus is Brian's biological son. His mothers live in Europe and we have had Gus full time for over ten years. Aaron is my biological half-brother. It is a long, unpleasant story that I'll tell you about sometime."

Brian continued, "At some point you will meet my father and sisters. My father started several clinics for LGBTQ teens and young adults. Jessi was born to a woman who my dad and sisters worked with. Justin always reminds me that I wasn't too excited about two kids barely a year apart, but you've met her. She is the bright spot in everyone's life who has met her." 

"Daddies, can I see the ponies now?" Jessi said as she came bounding in.

"Are you going to go see the ponies?" Aaron called from his perch with his cats.

"Let me check with Dusty," Emma said as she got up and walked to her phone.

"Why don't we go grab some light jackets. If Dusty is busy we can walk around a bit. Aaron, will you check with your brother and see if he is done talking to Fi and if he wants to come along."

"Okay." Aaron said as he followed Jessi out of the kitchen. 

"Dusty will be here in about 20 minutes. He is about done working on a project and had planned to come up here anyway."

"Thanks, Emma. I think we will go change clothes for being out on a ranch. If the kids come down..."

"I will be here if the children come down before you return."

Brian smiled, "Emma, you are the best. Thank you. You are already invaluable."

 

When Brian and Justin walked toward the kitchen they heard Jessi chatting with Dusty. She loved his teasing and could hold her own with a comeback. Justin stopped Brian so he could listen to the two. Jessi always seemed to find a special person. When she first met Griffin it had been an instant attraction. They would always have a special relationship, but it had changed over the four years. He could still hear her little voice calling for Griffy when she was upset at her dads. Well, Griff now had competition.

Brian gently squeezed Justin's hand, "You okay?"

Justin kissed him and said, "Ya, I'm fine. I'll tell you later. Let's go see some ponies." Justin said loud enough for those in the kitchen to hear them coming.

They went outside and as Gus climbed in the back of the pickup on his own, Dusty gave Aaron a little boost up, and as he picked up Jessi she hugged him and kissed his cheek, "Thank you."

"You are welcome, lil bit." He set her on the bed of the truck. 

"I'm not little," she put her hands on her hips.

"Of course you aren't, but once you meet our critters, you will see why I called you that."

"Is that safe?" Brian asked, looking at his children in the back of a pickup.

"I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was. Now, kids, here are the rules back here. You must sit on the floor. And we will only do this when we are cruising around the buildings and I will keep it very slow. If you break the rules, you will sit up front with me." Dusty made eye contact with each of the children and then turned to Brian and Justin. "You can ride up front with me or sit in the back or on the gate."

"Since it is our first ride, I am sitting back here with the gate up," Justin commented. "Bri, you can sit up front."

"Can we just go already? I don't want my pony to grow into a horse before I see him."

"Jessi, a pony never grows into a horse. They aren't the same." Gus corrected her.

"Daddy, is that true?"

That was the last Brian and Dusty heard from the back as he moved slowly down the road. "Your kids are great. Jessi is something else."

"Yes, there are days we wonder what that something is. I think living on a ranch, it will be easier for us to keep her away from the boys." Brian commented, half in jest but with a serious undertone.

"I can only imagine the feeling of keeping your children safe. I want you to know, when they are with me, I will treat them as if they were my own. I can't promise they won't get an injury. They live on a ranch. But if I can stop it I will."

"I believe you, Dusty. Kids are kids and we have a lot of bandaids, not to mention, we have a doctor coming in a couple months.

"I am so excited for his arrival. I hear there will be one more child with them?"

"Yes, he is a recent addition to their family. He is Aaron's age."

"I'll keep an eye out for another pony on sale."

"Has living here kept you from finding your own family?" Brian looked at him and retracted his question, "None of my business."

Dusty didn't respond as he pulled the truck to a stop by the stable. Justin helped Jessi off the truck bed as the boys jumped off on their own. Aaron walked over to Brian and said, "That was cool but you can feel every bump."

"Makes you tough," Dusty said as he smiled at him. "Alright, before we go in, I want you to give you a little lesson about horses. First, we like to keep things calm in the stables. Once the animals get to know you they won't be as skittish."

They walked into the dim barn and they were hit by the scent of hay and horse. Each side was lined with stalls, and as they walked and the horses heard Dusty's voice they appeared for an appropriate greeting. As Dusty rubbed the first horse's nose, Gus walked up to the one across the aisle and slowly reached out to pet the velvet on his nose. "It's so soft," he said in a whisper.

Jessi held both Brian and Justin's hand. They could feel the horses' size made her tentative, so Brian picked up his daughter and walked up to Gus' new friend and pet the horse's nose. When he whinnied and shook his head a little she leaned back against Brian.

"That is a greedy one. He thinks everyone has treats for him." He handed a small piece of carrot to her. "Place it in your palm and extend your hand. He won't bite you but your carrot will disappear."

Slowly she extended her hand and when the steed's lips lifted the carrot off her hand she giggled. "They are so soft."

As if all the horses smelled the carrots, each one appeared to greet their guests, hoping for a sample. Soon they were all interacting with the horses. When the carrots were about gone, Aaron walked over to Dusty and said, "Excuse me, but where is my pony?" He stood there holding his last piece of carrot.

"I knew these big guys and gals would want to meet you." He pulled out another bag of carrots.  "Follow me." The kids had all gotten more comfortable and left their fathers behind them as they rushed to see their new friends.

Dusty led them through another set of large sliding doors and there were two large size stalls on both sides of the walkway. "In the past these have been our birthing stalls, but we don't have any babies on the way so we have the ponies and the paint here." They could hear the motion of the animals even though they couldn't see them.  

"Excuse me, but a paint is different from a pony, right?" Gus asked.

"You are right. Many people associate paints with Native American culture. Their ancestors come from Spain but over centuries they became the first horses of the Indians. They are a little smaller than our previous friends over there. I will tell you, yours is a little skittish. She just wants to get to know you a little."

"Let me see my pony, please!" Jessi begged.

"Give me a minute to move Gus' horse to another stall. Dusty came out leading a beautiful brown and cream animal out. 

Gus stepped up and took the rope and led her into the next stall. As Gus tied her to a hook in the stall, Aaron and Jessi walked into the stall. There they found two Shetland ponies. One was cream colored with speckles and a cream mane, while the other was all black except for a white mark on its forehead. Without a word Aaron walked to the brown one and Jessi moved directly to the black one.

"Jessi, may I have this one?"

"Oh, yes. I love this one. He's black like me. Dusty, is this a girl or a boy?"

"Both of the ponies are boys and I think I said the paint is a girl. As long as you don't jump around too much they both love to be petted so just get to know them a bit." Dusty moved so he could see Gus. He found the boy with his arms wrapped around her neck speaking softly. He turned to Brian and Justin, "I think it's love all around."

For the next half hour the kids got to know their new companions with Brian and Justin watching. Dusty went and did a couple chores and then returned to show them more of the ranch.

Gus looked reluctant to leave but Brian said, "You can come back again this afternoon."

"Okay," Gus said as he kissed her forehead and led her back out so she could be in the company of the ponies again. Aaron and Jessi said goodbye, too, and they all got back in the pickup. As much as they had wanted to stay with their horses, they were soon absorbed in other parts of the ranch. Dusty had opened the window in the back of the cab and pointed things out along the way. He came to a stop at the top of a ridge and down below, there were bison as far as the eye could see.

Everyone stood silently for a moment. The mountains soared behind the beasts as they grazed in the mountain pasture. "They don't look too big. We can't get any closer?" Aaron asked. They don't look bigger than the horses."

"It is a little hard to see the size of them with the mountains behind. Our next stop we will meet a few up close, well, closer."

As the herd moved further away, Dusty drove the family over to a ten foot fence with posts the size of trees. It was obvious the fencing between the poles was stronger than most. They followed the fence line in the pickup until a single bull bison stood on the other side of the wires. Once the truck had stopped Justin and the kids stood up and, surprisingly, the beast slowly walked closer to them, looking curious, not threatening. 

Justin heard Aaron take in a breath, "They are huge. I mean, his head is as high as the pick-up... and he is..."

Gus continued, "Dusty, is he extra big? He looks like he might be."

"You have a good eye, Gus. An average bull is about six feet tall and nearly 2000 lbs. This bad boy is almost seven feet tall and weighs about 2200 lbs. Want to know his name?" Everyone nodded. "His name is Gus," Dusty laughed. "He has always been Big Gus. He was found as a calf who lost his mother and was raised with our cattle. Next thing we knew, we were raising beefalo." 

As if he was tired of being looked at, Gus roamed away from them. "Daddy, he scares me a little." Jessi said as she sat back down along with everyone before they started moving again.

"I don't think you have to be scared of them, but you do need to respect them. If you ever see a bison out of the fence, you would just walk quickly back to the nearest adult and get inside. I am sure they don't come near the house very often."

"Ok, Daddy." She yawned. "I'm kinda hungry and thirsty."

"Me, too." Aaron and Gus said together.

"Good thing we are heading to lunch now." Dusty called from inside the cab. "Mom texted to bring you all in." As they pulled up, Justin reminded the kids to wash their hands before going to the table and by the time everyone had done that, Emma had the food out on the counter.

"I hope it is alright to do lunches like this. I usually have soup or stew and sandwich fixings. Oh, and I always have a treat for a little dessert."

"That looks perfect." Brian said, kissing her cheek.  

"Joshua is not going to be joining us today. He had to go to town for a part. That seems to happen about once a week." 

Soon they had filled their plates and bowls and were sitting around the big family table. By the time Jessi had finished her soup, her head was starting to nod. Aaron was fighting the tiredness a little better, but it was obvious he could use a little rest, too.  

"Okay kids, why don't you all go to your rooms or hang out in the cat area for an hour or two. I'm not saying you have to sleep, but I think a little relaxation would do us all good." Jessi and Aaron went to the upper level of the cat area and, although the TV was on, it wasn't long before each of them were asleep with a cat tucked in next to them. 

Gus went up to his room and sat on the balcony. Looking at the bison now was very different.  He was picturing the size of the muscular animals now. They were so big. As he watched them, he realized how peaceful it was, even though there were all kinds of things to do here. He hadn't been sure he wanted to move, but now he knew he would miss the island, but this was going to be home, he could tell.

 

It was about 3:00 when the kids were ready to go back to the stable. Brian had to call Terry about business, so Justin got keys to one of the carts and the boys sat backward while Jessi sat next to Justin. It was a short trip, and when Justin stopped, Gus asked, "Dad, do you think I could learn to drive this? I could help out around here if I could get places."

"I'll talk to your dad and Joshua. I am not sure if they have rules about that."

"Ok. Now I need to go check on my horse." Gus and Aaron ran to the door but then both entered the stable calmly and said a quick hello to the other horses, they got to the back where theirs were. Gus moved his horse to the next stall again, and when Justin and Jessi caught up Aaron was in the stall with the ponies.

"So have any of you thought of names yet? There isn't a rush but I am sure you are thinking about it."

"I'm naming my pony Cookie because he has the colors of a chocolate chip cookie."

"That's a great name for him," Justin said.

"I like that, Aaron." Jessi gave him a big smile.

"I was thinking about calling her Spirit, but I can't decide yet. I am going to research names." Gus was brushing the paint. "How about you, Jessi. Have you decided what to call yours yet?"

"I don't know. I have to think about it. Coco is all I thought of yet."

"If you want me to help look something up, you can ask," Gus volunteered.

"Thanks, Gus." Jessi said, "I am going to ask Dusty to help."

After spending time with their animals, it was time to go back to the house. "I think Dusty said we would take them out tomorrow."

"Can we ride them?" Aaron asked.

"I don't know about that. He might have a few things to teach you before riding." Justin smiled at him. "It will be fun no matter what."

"I love playing with my pony." Jessi said as she stepped off the cart and skipped to the house.

 

By the time everyone had finished eating, it was time for baths and showers. Brian helped Aaron start the shower and get the temperature right and then let him wash by himself. Justin filled the bathtub for Jessi and after helping her wash her hair, he let her play for a while. He dug out some rubber bands and a pick.  He had learned enough about his daughter's hair that he could do several braids that kept it out of her face and if he did a good job, it would stay neat for several days.

There was a small media room upstairs, and after the kids were in their pajamas, the whole family sat to watch a movie together, and as it played Justin worked on Jessi's hair. When he had finished, she got up and crawled onto his lap. "Are you ready for bed, Sweetheart?"

She just nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck and he carried her out of the room. He tucked her in and got her some water. "Thank you, Daddy. I know where you sleep now so you don't have to worry about me."

"Well, I made sure there is a monitor in your room now so if you wake up all you have to do is say ‘Daddy', and one or both of us will be here as fast as we can."

"I love you, Daddy. And I love my pony. The bison was SO big." Jessi kept talking but as she did, she drifted off. Justin kissed her and silently walked out of the room.

Once the movie was over Justin and Brian put Aaron to bed and stopped by Gus' room, asking him to be in bed by 10:30. "Goodnight, Dads. I will be in bed before that. I am too tired to stay up long. Oh, I found a name for my horse."

"That's great. What is her name?" Brian asked.

"Her name is Catori which is Comanche for spirit."

"Gus, that is perfect for your beautiful horse." Justin gave him one more hug and then they left him alone.

 

Brian and Justin walked down the steps and to their room. "What do you say we try out that jacuzzi outside on our patio? We both need a shower or bath." Brian started pulling off his clothes.

"I think that sounds perfect." They both undressed and put on heavy robes and grabbed towels. 

Brian shivered, "Damn, it is chilly here at night." They had pulled the cover off and the steam coiled upward. With robes and towels draped over a chair, they slipped into the water. 

"Oh, does that feel good," Justin said as he sank down across from  Brian. 

"What are you doing way over there?" Brian asked.

"I could ask the same thing," Justin responded. Brian glided across the tub and then positioned himself between Justin's legs and wrapped his arms around Justin's waist. They kissed and then Brian turned over and rested his head against Justin's chest and floated. Justin slipped his hands under Brian's arms and rested his hands on his chest. "So we have Cookie and Catori. What will our firecracker name hers?"

"I think we will find out soon. Was today as special as I felt it was? Seeing the kids with their horses and then to see the buffalo out there grazing. I loved the island but it was a small, beautiful world, but now... just look up.  Look at that sky."

"It looks like we could reach out and touch the stars." He kissed Brian's head. "I see something else I would like to reach out and touch," his hands glided down Brian's body.

"I can't believe I am saying this but, let's hold off for a couple minutes. I need this water to work out a few more kinks and then I'll be ready to give you all my attention."

"You're right, and if we don't make love out here tonight, we have thousands of nights ahead."

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"Only a few thousand times, but I expect to hear it that many more times," Justin said. "And by the way, I love you, too. I love this adventure we are on."

"There's no one else I would take it with."