- Text Size +

 

Everyone enjoyed the rest of the day. Luke and Matt relaxed the minute they were in the pool, and it was obvious that the kids loved them. By the time the grill was lit, the sun was going lower in the sky and the temperature was dropping quickly.

"Hey, Terry, my knee does feel a lot better after swimming and then sitting in the hot tub."

"Tomorrow morning it will probably be a little stiff, but why don't you put on some sweats or something that stretches and when you come back down, I'll wrap your leg again. It doesn't hurt to have a little support on it for a couple days."

As Gus walked away, Luke walked into the house with Terry, "It must be nice to have a man with so many skills living here. I have heard about Eagle Medical. All the doctors in the program are pilots, too."

"This has been family land for years, although we didn't spend much time up here. My father wasn't into philanthropy but he did fund this program. He set up a trust that still supports it. When Brian mentioned wanting land in this area I remembered the ranch. We had taken over ownership when I bought my dad out."

"Well, this place is amazing. You didn't want the main house?"

"No. Brian and Justin need more room, plus Griff doesn't like having live-in help, although, my former nanny may still move out here, but right now she is helping on the island where we used to live and I don't think she really wants to move here. As long as I know she is cared for, she can stay wherever she is happy. We have Willow cleaning our house for us and that is all we need."

 

After the kids were all down for the night, Elian shared Aaron's bed so the men could all be in one location and the beverage of choice changed. Terry had brought along a bottle of scotch that he had found in the back of a liquor cabinet that was high quality. The three couples sat around a fire pit with blankets draped around each couple.

Through dinner Luke had drunk only soda, and when he refused the scotch, Brian was curious. "None of my business," Brian said as he took the first sip of the smooth, deep cherry note with a smoky finish, "but, no alcohol by choice?"

Matt's arm tightened around Luke, who looked hesitant.

Justin leaned into Brian and said, "Luke, you don't have to answer that. We won't be offended.  Like Brian said, it is none of our business."

"I don't talk about it a lot because as a school counselor, some Boards would not hire me if they knew my history."

"You're in a safe zone here if you want to talk," Terry said.

Griff spoke up, "Come on, guys, it is obvious Luke isn't comfortable. I know I wouldn't be."

"It's okay, Griff. My mom was a single parent and she had a lot of problems. She had a drug problem and you can imagine what she did to get them. I was in and out of foster care, but by the time I hit my teens, I knew I was gay and being moved from foster family to foster family... I was done. I spent the next five years on the streets. I drank to forget what I was doing to survive. I..."

Matt continued for him, "He was arrested on his 18th birthday and thankfully the judge he stood before saw something in him. Luke entered a program where he got his GED and then went on to college and then grad school. I'm so proud of him." Matt kissed Luke. "At first I never drank in front of him, but over the years, he has convinced me that I can have a glass of wine and it doesn't bother him."

"Luke, you should be proud of your past and where you are now." Terry stood and walked over to hug Luke. "You are the exact kind of person I would want to be there for Elian. You know real life. You get that life isn't perfect."

"I agree with Terry," Brian said from the other side of the fire. "Even rich kids go through a lot of neglect. Terry knows all about that."

"I really appreciate your support. This is our third year at this school and you four know more about me than anyone here." Luke said as Matt pulled him close.

"I hope you know you are always welcome here. Obviously we have plenty of room. If you'd like, the weekends Matt works up here, plan on staying up here. You can use the guest room," Justin said.

"It makes more sense to give them one of the rooms upstairs," Brian said. "That way you can just leave some stuff if you want to," Brian said, adding to Justin's comment.

 

An hour later the party broke up and the men separated two by two. Matt and Luke almost giggled as they dropped into bed and they rolled over and back a few times and then Matt pinned Luke to the mattress. They kissed long and deep and when Matt put a little space between them, he said, "I have a really good feeling about this year already."

"So do I, and I have a really good feeling about tonight," Luke turned over pinning Matt below him, "but before we focus on that, this is just what you deserve. I know you love teaching and the kids, but your heart, your soul, has needed an outlet, and now you can have it all with the help of these two amazing artists."

"I could never have dreamed... I am never going to be able to sleep. I can't focus!"

"Matty, I can help with that..." As Luke's tongue made a path downward, Matt had something totally new to think about.

 

Justin woke at sunrise and felt restless so he got up and decided to take a horseback ride. He dressed for the cool temperature of the morning and opened the door. 

"Sneaking off to someone else's bed?" Brian's voice was sleep heavy.

Justin turned and walked back giving him a long, languid kiss. "I'm going to take a horseback ride. I need to get inspired for this new art project. Go back to sleep." 

"Sunshine?"

"Ya, Bri?"

"Love you."

"Love you, too." Justin walked out of the room and smiled. Why wasn't there a word more powerful than love? He asked himself. 

As he turned the doorknob to leave the house, he heard footsteps behind him. He turned and saw Matt coming into the kitchen. "Oh, hey! I'm surprised to see you awake already."

"I could say the same. You're up early."

"It's this new project. I thought a ride might make things clearer."

"A ride?"

"Do you ride horses, Matt?"

"I did when I was at camp as a kid, but that was a few years ago. I was going to go out for a run."

"Let's let the horse do the work. Follow me."

Twenty minutes later, with Dusty's help, two horses were saddled and ready for a morning adventure. Justin started with a walk, "I'll take it easy first."

"What is this big art project that was commissioned?"

"It is for one of the museums. It is supposed to show Colorado. The old and the new."

"Now the ride makes sense. The state is beautiful, but this place is more stunning than most."

"Let's get to the spot I want to show you a little faster." With that, Justin clicked his tongue and tapped the horse's flanks with his heels. The horse moved from a walk, to a trot, and then to a gallop. Matt followed and soon the horses and riders were flying. Justin took the trail that led to the meadow. He slowed down and called back a warning where some of the tree branches were hanging a little low. When the trail narrowed and began to slant down, they returned to a walk. 

Justin stopped about twenty feet from the clearing and turned to Matt, "I want you to go first.  This spot is so amazing and first thing in the morning. I hope the herd is there."

"Herd?" Matt asked, but Justin just waved him past.

Matt rode the last twenty feet and he nearly dropped the reins as the horse took a couple more steps so Justin and his horse could also enter the sun dappled high meadow. Below, in the valley, was the whole herd. Steam rose from the meadow as the magnificent animals grazed. The shafts of sunlight made their way through the mist like a spotlight focused on some of the individual animals.

"I told you. It is amazing. Now picture the mountains. In the distance there will be a modern city... sort of a city in the clouds. The painting will come off the canvas into sculpture. Some of the buildings will be 3-D. Then down in the valley... this valley... there will be animals and indigenous people. Some will just be in the painting, but some of them will be coming off the canvas. Then a large bison and a native in full regalia will come right off the wall."

"How big is this going to be?" Matt's mind was spinning, picturing it all.

"The wall we are working on is two stories and wider than it is high."

"This is going to be exquisite."

"Griff is such a skilled sculptor. I wanted to combine our strengths and make something unforgettable. I did look you up and..." Justin stopped talking as the herd below began to move, slowly at first, and then as if a command was given, they began to run. They could feel the movement as well as see it. "Can you imagine when the group might have been 2000 instead of 200. They even say on the open plains there could be as many 20,000 or more."

"I can't imagine what that would be like. I still have to meet Big Gus." Matt replied as the animals moved out of their sight.

"Well, we better go back. I don't know if anyone will have started breakfast with Emma gone. Do you like to cook?" Justin clucked his tongue and the horses started moving.

"I can cook, but Lulu loves to cook." Matt bit his tongue. "Don't tell him I called him that. I am only supposed to use that at home."

"I won't say a word. It's funny what love does to you, isn't it? This morning I looked at Brian, all mussed clothes and tousled hair and I thought my heart would explode. Now I'm the one who needs to say, don't tell Brian I said that."

"I wouldn't want Luke to change in any way, because he is perfect for me, but I have to admit, you and Brian are two of the most gorgeous..."

"Matt, we are just two dads. Brian got all the strong genes in his family."

"You hold your own just fine." 

"I'm blessed with a beautiful mother who shared a thing or two." 

"And your father?"

"We better get back." With that Justin pushed his horse to a gallop and Matt followed close behind.

When they got back to the stable Dusty took the horses and as they walked back to the house, Matt said, "I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds. I shouldn't have mentioned your father."

Justin rested his hand on Matt's shoulder. "You didn't do anything wrong. Usually it doesn't bother me anymore, but my father is an ass. He is actually Aaron's father too. Now's not the time but I promise I'll tell you the whole story sometime."

"No problem. It's your story to tell." Matt opened the door to the kitchen and the smells of breakfast wafted out. "Oh, someone is up and if I'm not mistaken I smell Luke's biscuit cinnamon rolls."

"Smells divine."

They found Luke and Willow in the kitchen along with Jessi, and Gus was sitting in a chair nearby with ice on his knee. Justin walked over and brushed Gus' hair back and kissed his forehead. "How's the knee this morning?"

"It is a little stiff but it doesn't hurt much." Gus replied and went back to the tablet he was watching. "Oh, El and Aaron are at Elian's house. He needed clean clothes."

"Thanks, Gus."

Matt walked over to Luke and kissed his cheek as he looked over his shoulder. "I knew I smelled those."

"Willow, have you seen Brian or is he still in bed?"

"Daddy has been up," Jessi said, "but he went back to dress."

Justin picked her up and gave her a hug and kiss. "Well, I could use a quick shower. Do I have time?" Justin asked, looking toward Luke and Willow.

"Breakfast will be in about fifteen minutes," Luke said.

"Then I'm going to rinse off," Justin said, heading to the door.

"Me, too," Matt followed him.

From his chair, Gus said, "20 minutes, Dad. Don't share the shower or I promise, I'll eat all those cinnamon rolls."

Matt went to their room and Justin went into the main bedroom. Brian was just striding out of the bathroom totally naked. "Damn, we only have 15 minutes before breakfast and Gus already warned me we can't be late." Justin was undressing as he talked.

"Hell, we can make that." Brian said as he grabbed Justin, now naked, and pulled him into the bathroom. The water pounded down on both of them as they made frenzied love and after a quick rinse they dried off and pulled on clothes, walking into the kitchen just as Gus sat down with a plate full of food.

"Come on, Dads, seriously? We have company," Gus said, rolling his eyes.

"Justin, have you noticed how often our son is thinking about sex lately?" Brian caught Gus' eye for a second and then he greeted the others in the room.

"Griff, I can't believe the plan for your commission. It is going to be so... I can't even find words."

Once the kids all had food, the adults filled plates and joined them around the table. The kids asked Luke and Matt all kinds of questions about school, and as they finished breakfast Dusty and Willow volunteered to take the younger three for a horseback ride.

Terry suggested Gus stay off the horse today, so after a quick call from Brian to Kate, Gus and Fi had a gaming date for the next four hours. With the time difference, that would be Fi's bedtime. 

Terry had received a text and he had to make a run into town. "The police have someone locked up and they aren't sure if he needs a 72 hour hold or if he is faking it. The normal doctor they use is out of town. I shouldn't be gone more than a couple hours." He walked over to Griff and kissed him. "Love you."

"Drive carefully. I love you, too." Griff said and hugged him.

"Come here and give your dad a hug, El."  Elian ran over and gave him a hug before Terry walked out the door followed by Matt, Luke, and Griffin.

"Brian, are you coming? I know the studio isn't all that exciting for you."

"I'll clean up a little bit and come down in a while," Brian said as he pulled Justin close and kissed him. Then as Justin turned to walk out the door, Brian smacked his ass and hummed low in his throat.

The dishes were already in the dishwasher but there were leftovers to put away and then he wiped down the counters. Brian had been listening to Gus interacting with Fiona, but he couldn't hear Fi's response because Gus had on headphones.

As Brian finished, Gus set the computer down and hobbled over to the fridge for a bottle of water. "Where'd Fi go?"

"She went to the bathroom and then had to do one thing for her mom but she will be back in about 10 minutes." Gus carried his bottle back to the chair and sat down.  

Brian followed him back and sat down on the ottoman near his son. "Gus, you know Justin and I love each other. We have never been bashful about sex. Are we embarrassing you lately?"

"If it doesn't bother you, why do you care?" He said with angst in his voice.

"We have younger kids around."

"They can't know you have sex?" 

"Gus, enough." Brian's voice was sharper than he meant it to be. "If you want to talk about sex, talk to me. Talk to Justin. Talk to both of us. We will answer any general questions, but you do not need to call us out in front of anyone else."

"Shit, I can't say anything anymore." With that comment Gus put on his headphones again and picked up his computer. 

Brian stood and pulled one side of his headphones away from his ear. "I will be in the studio. Text me if you need me." Brian rolled his eyes as he left the house. He hoped he had done the right thing. He didn't want Gus to stop talking to them, but he didn't want him to be a brash, entitled punk either. He would tell Justin about the talk and Justin could go in and smooth out anything he shouldn't have said. He never wanted Gus to stop coming to him but he didn't like his recent attitude. He knew they had a few years of this ahead, but in the end, he wanted Gus to be as strong and thoughtful as he has always been.

 

When Brian walked into the studio he stopped in his tracks. He had heard Justin talk about the project and had seen some sketches of it, but nothing could have prepared him for the hologram that greeted him. When he moved again he walked up behind Justin and put an arm around his neck, pulling him back against his chest. "That is far beyond what you told me."

"It really is taking on a life. And it will be so much more detailed than this is."

Luke stood with his arm around Matt's waist and his head on his shoulder. "I am so glad you get to be part of this, and in some ways, we are part of this."

"I did some research on you, Matt," Griff said. You have some strong skills, but weren't at the right place at the right time. I would be in the same position if I hadn't connected with Justin."

"When this project is done, I suspect you will be able to choose whether you want to keep teaching or go into art full time, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We have nine months to complete this. By the time school ends in the spring, this needs to be ready for a new exhibit. I am hoping you will be free to help set up the exhibit before it's opening. It must be set up by the Fourth of July, but the real celebration will be August first, and anniversary Colorado became a state.

"When do you plan to start?" Matt asked, excitement in his voice.

"We will start tomorrow. I don't plan to put in weekends right away, but you are welcome here any weekend. The studio is yours to use as long as whatever it is, isn't involved in someone's project. It is our first fall here so I am excited for the colors," Justin commented. "I may be distracted by that for a canvas or two."


"What do you think, Luke? Could you deal with spending weekends living in the mansion rather than that one bedroom apartment above the hardware store?"

"As long as they let me help cook in that amazing kitchen."

"That actually might really be helpful. Emma deserves to have a little more time off and if you are willing to help out, we can insist she has some time to herself."

"I'm in!" Luke said.

After about another half hour in the studio, they all wandered out. "Are you ready to meet Big Gus?" Justin asked.

"Hey, Sunshine, can I talk to you for a minute?" Brian asked.

"Sure," they stepped a few feet away from the other men. "What's up?"

"I confronted Gus about his comments this morning. He is probably still on with Fi, but he's been in the house by himself.."

"I'll go to the house. I know what Big Gus looks like." Justin said and kissed Brian. He then addressed the rest of the men, "I am going to head to the house and check on Gus. I'm thinking of pizza for an early dinner. See you all later." Justin turned and jogged toward the house while the other four climbed on one of the carts with Brian behind the wheel.

 

When Justin walked into the kitchen he didn't see Gus at first. His computer was sitting by the chair but it was turned off. As he stood in the kitchen he listened and then he was sure he heard a soft noise somewhere in the cat area. The TV wasn't on in the loft but he entered the area and in the back, Gus was sitting in one of the roomy chairs with KC sitting next to him and JC was wrapped in his arms against his chest, his face buried in her fur.

"Gus, is something wrong? I thought you would still be online with Fi."

"She got mad at me. She said I was being rude."

"Were you being rude?" Justin asked as he lifted KC out of the chair and then squeezed in next to Gus, depositing KC on his own lap and slipped an arm around Gus' shoulders. From Gus' reaction he could tell he was. "Why were you rude?"

"I wasn't rude to her." Justin waited for him to finish. "I was talking shit about Dad and a little bit about you."

"What did your dad say that pissed you off?"

"He used to be able to take a joke."

"Do you think talking about us and our sex life is funny?"

"No. I think it is gross, and you..."

"Gus, there is nothing gross about sex when you are with someone you care about. Why do you think it is?" Justin's voice was even and non-judgmental. "Did someone say it was?" Gus hesitated long enough that there was something behind this. "Gus, who did you talk to?"

"It was just someone who sent me a picture and said that my dads did what the men in the picture did."

"Who sent you pictures?" Now Justin's tone had changed. "Is it on your computer?"

"I didn't know him. After those guys took me and I couldn't do much while my leg healed, I made some new friends."

"How did they find you?"

"On the gaming site. There were only four of them. Three of them just talk to me when I play games."

"But the last one?"

"He started messaging me in private messages. That's how he sent me the picture."

"Who is he? Do you know his name?"

"He's just a twelve year old boy that must live close."

"Gus, I need you to show me this information on your computer."

"Dad, is it really that big a deal?"

"Yes, Gus. It is a big deal."

"I'm in trouble again, aren't I?"

"I hope not, but I need to see what he has sent."

"Can I talk to Terry?"

"I think that is a very good idea. As soon as he gets home I'll see if he can come talk to you."

"Dad, I'm sorry I have been saying stuff."

"I'm glad you told me what's been going on. Now, why don't you email Fi and apologize while I get you a sandwich."

"I'm not hungry, but I will email Fi."

 

"How much does that behemoth weigh?" Luke asked. "And why is he up here all by himself?"

Brian looked at the large bison, "Gus was orphaned and hand raised. I would never walk into the fence with him but he doesn't have the wild instinct. Because of him we have a herd of beefalo, but Big Gus has passed his prime. Joshua put those old cows in with him so he isn't lonely."

"He is pretty amazing. They don't look nearly that big from a distance. This morning when Justin took me to the valley they were a distance away and I could tell they were huge, but this close you can just see all the detail." Matt was taking pictures the whole time he spoke.

Brian turned when he heard the sound of horses and there were the three ponies and two horses. Brian and Griff both walked to the ponies and gave their children hugs. "How was the ride?" Griff asked Elian.

"It was a little scary."

"Scary? Why?"

"We saw a bear," Jessi blurted out.

Instinctively, Brian wrapped his arms protectively around his daughter. "A bear?" he said as he looked at Dusty.

"We will see more of them this time of year, but he was a long way away and it is rare for them to come near the ranch buildings."

"Guess that is something new to think about." Griff responded, squeezing El's hand.

"Let's go get the ponies brushed down and then go in for lunch. I figured after our big breakfast we could just have sandwiches and some fruit," Willow suggested.

Aaron added, "And some chips? I love me some chips."

Willow had to smile. "And a few chips." She clucked her tongue and the horses and ponies moved on.

 

While most of the group had a bite to eat, Justin and Brian went to the office with Gus' laptop. By the time they went back to the kitchen area they were both livid but had gotten their anger under control for now. They had decided to turn this over to the police tomorrow and to have Brian's company security department try to find the guy who sent Gus the picture. It wasn't a simple picture of two men having sex. It showed bondage as well as hardcore play with toys and other household objects. They both agreed that if those men were into that, it was fine with them, but it was not something for a middle schooler to see.

Terry had returned and had already talked to Gus before everyone dug into homemade pizza.  There were three larges. One had cheese, one had just meat, and the third had everything imaginable. The conversation went from the art project, to Big Gus, and then to the bear who was out in the woods.

"I missed out on seeing a bear! Stupid knee." Gus grumbled but he was smiling again, feeling much better now that he had emailed Fi and talked to Terry.  

Once dinner was done, Matt and Luke went home, Terry, Griff, and Elian went back to their place, Joshua and Emma returned, and Brian and Justin started getting the children ready for bed. They helped Aaron and Jessi pick out clothes for the next morning and Aaron had a shower while Jessi had a bath. Then as Justin braided Jessi's hair in Aaron's room, Brian read a story to both Aaron and Jessi. When the story was done, and Aaron had gotten hugs and kisses, Brian carried Jessi to her room and her dads gave her hugs and kisses as well.

The last stop was Gus' room. Justin knocked and they entered when they heard him say come in. "Do you have everything ready for tomorrow?" Justin asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I think so." Gus looked at Brian.

"Dad, I..."

"It's okay. Well, what you said needs to stop, but I understand a lot more now. You do realize that the picture and conversation was wrong on the other person's part."

"He is about my age. Maybe he doesn't realize it was wrong."

"Gus, we aren't sure it is a kid your age. Terry agrees it seems like an older person." Justin leaned against Gus a bit. "Just promise you won't respond to him again and if you get an email from him, let one of us know."

"I will, Dads. I can't believe how stupid I was."

"Gus, he took advantage of your trauma. We will contact the police tomorrow and our own security will try to follow the clues, too." Brian walked around and kissed Gus' forehead. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Dad."

Justin hugged Gus and stood. "Lights off at 9:30."

"I know. Goodnight."

Brian poured drinks for both of them and they sat on the small sofa in their bedroom. "I can't believe that Gus had been emailing with a stranger all this time. Gus is a smart kid but he fell for it." Justin rested his head on Brian's shoulder.

"It just shows how hard it is to monitor kids. We have security on his computer. I had the best of the best installed and we still didn't realize this was going on."

"I know I was a little lax on checking what he was doing on the computer because we did have all the safety features. We need to catch this bastard."

"I guess we will be much more careful from now on," Brian stated as he placed his glass on the end table and then he took Justin's and set it next to his. "Love me?"

"You do know I always love you, and right now I'd love to show you how much."

As they began to kiss and touch, clothes ended up on the sofa and the two of them found their way to the bed. "Sunshine, we are good parents, aren't we?"

"Brian, we do the best we can in everything we do. Now kiss me and let's see what our best is."