- Text Size +

 

"Daddies! Daddies!" Jessi's voice was sinking into Brian and Justin's subconscious slowly until she leaped onto the bed between them. "DADDIES! It's all sparkly! Look! Someone put glitter all over our yard. Jessi pushed first Justin and then Brian out of the bed before dragging them both to the French doors. 

The first beams of sunlight poked over a nearby peak, sending shafts of light across the fresh blanket of snow. The three of them stood, the men on either side of their daughter, holding hands in silence at the pure wonder of the scene. Brian and Justin looked over her head and leaned in for a kiss. "See, I told you, someone put glitter all over the snow. Who would have done that?"

Justin reached down and picked her up, kissing her cheek. "Thank you for waking us up. I forgot how beautiful it was after the angels were busy."

"Angels?" she said in awe.

"Of course! You know they are always watching over you. I'm sure they know you love sparkles."

"And there are so many boys in this house. They don't like sparkles as much as me." She moved, letting Justin know she wanted down. He kissed her and set her on her feet.

As Jessi continued to chatter to no one in particular, Brian pulled Justin close and whispered in his ear, "Angels and glitter?" He blew lightly in his ear.

Justin tilted his head, pressing his lips against Brian's ear. "It just made sense at the time." He turned his head and their lips brushed against each other. "I want to crawl right back in bed with you, but I am afraid the reality is that we will be outside building snowmen right after breakfast.

"Did I hear snowmen?" Jessi asked excitedly, having been pulled out of her fantasy chat. "And, Daddy, are you sure it was angels? Maybe it was fairies. Fairies do sparkly things."

"Ya, Daddy," Brian said sarcastically, "Fairies are sparklier."

Justin squatted down by her, but glanced at Brian. "The problem with fairies is they are so small their wings freeze when it is cold." Now he stuck his tongue out at Brian and said, "Jess, why don't you go upstairs and put on some jeans and a warm sweatshirt or sweater."

"Ok, Daddy. And I will put on my big, fluffy socks Grandma sent last week."

"That sounds perfect. If you beat us to the kitchen, let Emma know we are awake," Justin stepped in front of Brian and reached back, gently cupping his crotch, "and we'll come down for breakfast after we take a shower."

By the time Jessi had shut the door, Brian was fully erect from Justin's ministrations. Without a word they stripped and then hands and mouths were everywhere at once. They stumbled into bed and Brian did a quick job at driving Justin over the edge, and then, Brian turned him onto his stomach and took him. Justin met him, thrusting upward, stroke for stroke. Then it was Brian's turn to cry out and collapse onto Justin.

After a couple minutes Justin said, "Bri, we need to get dressed and go to breakfast."

Brian rolled off of him and said, "Hell, that was good."

"Let's take a quick shower. I need it after that." Brian raised his eyebrows. "A shower, Brian!  Just a shower."

 

When they walked into the kitchen, Jessi was telling Emma about the angels and then said, "Daddy said it couldn't be fairies because it is too cold for their little wings."

Emma kissed the little girl's cheek and with more of an Irish accent then was normal said, "Well, I would say that is true. I have seen a fairy or two in the summer, but I think they have a warm fairy house to spend their winters in." She winked at Justin over Jessi's head.

"What can I do to help?" Brian asked Emma. "Do you think there is something I could do for Joshua?"

"He and Dusty have it. He couldn't sleep last night so he was out as soon as the wind went down."

"Nova?" Brian asked softly as he started cracking eggs she handed him.

"Yes. Can you help track..."

"Already have someone on it."

"What do you already know?"

"Her grandmother passed away recently. Luke filled us in on that."

"She was all that child had! The poor baby."

"So you knew about his first wife?"

"He is very ashamed of that part of his life, but he was so young."

As breakfast was made, the remainder of the occupants wandered in. The kids were energized by the snow and the promise of being able to go out after they ate. Even Gus was trying to act cool, but was excited, too. Emma's phone pinged and she looked at the message as she poured the eggs Brian had scrambled into a pan. "My men will be here in ten minutes."

Justin started pulling food out of the oven and warming trays. "Emma, were you up all night? The variety of food you made is crazy."

"When Joshua is up," Justin saw a mysterious smile cross her face before she continued. "When he went outside, I just got up."

"Sorry you didn't sleep well, but I think it was to our benefit," he said looking at the spread.

"I didn't mind the sleepless night one bit."

The door opened and Dusty and Joshua walked in from their apartment. They had taken off their heavy, outer clothes already and Joshua walked over and kissed Emma's cheek before he handed her a plate and guided her to the food. 

When the loud and boisterous crew had finished eating, every last person bundled up and went outside. They made snowmen, had a snowball fight, and they all made snow angels before they went to see the animals. Luke and Matt chose to go in the house, saying they needed a nap after all that fresh air.

"Ya, I want details about the nap later." Brian smirked as the couple moved toward the house,

"Brian, you are terrible," Justin said as he raised his face for a kiss and Brian complied willingly, before all of them entered the stables. 

There were two goats and two calves so each of the kids spent time with each of them. Griff and Justin shared a hay bale and took their own turns petting each of the new pets. Brian and Terry were on another one of the hay bales until Terry got a text. Terry looked at it. "Shit. I better go see if my plane is movable."

"What is it, Terry?" Griff stood and walked over to Terry, putting his hands on his hips. "You look scared."

"If I can get the plane out, I have a clinic full of flu patients and it appears there will probably be more coming in."

"I don't like it." 

Elian came over to his dads when he heard Griff was upset. "What is it, Dads?" 

"I need to take a flight over the mountains. There are some sick people I need to check on."

"Terry, are you sure that is safe? What if it gets windy again? What if... Terry, you can get sick, too."

"Griff, I am always careful. It's what I do." Terry tried pulling him close, but Griff pulled away. He took Elian's hand and walked across the aisle to the ponies. 

Brian looked at Terry, "I'll come with you to the airstrip in case you need some help." 

Brian walked over to Justin and softly said, "I'm taking Terry to the plane. Once he's in the air, I'll come back. The men hugged and Brian whispered, "Looks like Griff needs some time in the studio."

"I'll talk to him." Justin kissed Brian, then Brian and Terry left the stable. Justin's attention went back to the children. He looked over at the mini cows and found Aaron sitting in the middle of the stall with the cows laying on either side. The goats were curled up next to each other in a corner, under a heat lamp.

"Dad, these guys are so cool. I love them so much." He put his hands under each of their chins and tilted their heads up so Justin could look into their faces. "I mean aren't they the sweetest?"

"They really are." Justin petted both of them. "I don't know about all of you but I am ready to get out of these soggy clothes. Let's go back to the house and change into dry clothes."

Everyone but Aaron was ready to go to the house. "Dad, can I stay out here for a little longer. I promise I'll come back soon."

"Ok, Aaron. If I ring the dinner bell, you come back to the house right away."

"I will, Dad. Thank you." Aaron gave him a hug and plopped back down on the floor of the stall.

Justin picked Jessi up and put her on his shoulders as they walked. The three children walked with the two men until they got to Terry and Griff's house. Justin took Jessi down and said to Gus, "Take your sister into the house and if she needs help changing will you help her, please?  I will be back in a few minutes.

Gus' eyes followed Griff and El who were entering their place. "Sure, Dad. And if Aaron comes back, I'll tell him to change."

"Thank you, Gus. I think Willow and Emma are around, too." Justin followed Griff into their house. Griff was already telling Elian to go change into dry clothes and turned around and saw Justin standing there. "Are you alright?"

"No, I'm not alright!" Griff said it softly but sharply. "I married a psychiatrist, not someone who runs headlong into a pandemic. He has a family to think about. I just can't do this! What if he gets sick? What if he brings it back to us?"

Justin put his arms around Griff, "I know what you are saying, but I also know Terry is a doctor and he is going to help if he can. Why don't you and El come over and then after we have a bite, we can go work in the studio."

"Ok, we'll be there in a bit." Griff was obviously still upset.

Justin took both of his hands, "Griff, Terry will come back. He has been flying for years." A tear rolled down his cheek and Justin brushed it away with his thumb and kissed the spot on his cheek. "He'll be back soon. Now, pull yourself together and put on your studio clothes. I am ready to create."

"Sure." He turned and walked up the stairs as Justin left the house.

 

Brian drove Terry to the airstrip. "I knew Dusty was down here." Brian commented as he stopped by the small hanger.

"Brian, am I out of line? Should I stay here? Griff was pissed."

"Terry, if you think it is safe, you need to do what you need to do."

"When he gets like this, life can get rough, and Elian has never seen him like that. I know you have seen him moody. You know I love him, but he does get unreasonable. You and Justin balance everything so well."

"Terry, when Griff moved out to work with Justin, he wasn't living at the house. I can't even remember what happened. Usually I did something he didn't like. I would get absorbed in a deal and neglect the family, but sometimes he would just kind of have a breakdown. It could be because of his head injury, but more likely it was because he's an artist and he was in that mode." By now they were in the hangar and Terry had his preflight checklist. "We married artists.  I think we are fucking lucky they love us."

"I know. I can't imagine life without him." 

Brian stayed around until Terry had finished his paperwork, and once Terry had taken off, Brian closed the doors and drove back to the ranch.  

"Brian, everyone else has eaten already." Emma said as she started pulling food out of the warming drawer. "Our artists are in the studio and the kids are upstairs with Luke watching a movie." She handed him a plate with a hot turkey and cheese sandwich on it and some chips.

"Thanks, Emma. This looks great and I am really hungry all of the sudden."

"Being out in the fresh air and new snow will do that. After you eat you'll want a nap."

"Oh, that does sound good."

"Luke said they would be watching a movie but my guess is they are all napping."

"Why don't you go take a nap yourself. You said you didn't sleep well last night and we can manage dinner. Take the rest of the day off."

"I'm not going to argue that. Luke was planning on doing dinner anyway. I think he mentioned making lasagna."

"Well, I will go take kid duty once I've eaten and Luke can work on dinner." Emma took off her apron, but before she could leave, Brian stopped her. "Emma, take care of him. We know he doesn't share, but I know you know what's going on in his head. Let me know if I can do anything for both of you."

She smiled at her handsome employer, "Thank you, Brian. My husband is a proud man and I am not sure he knows how to deal with his own emotions."

"He's lucky he has you." He took a big bite of his sandwich and then looked at it. He wasn't sure what was in it but it was no plain turkey and cheese. When he had finished the sandwich, he took a soda out of the fridge, and before leaving the kitchen he snatched a cookie off the plate on the counter. Damn, he had a good life.

 

Brian spent the afternoon with the kids while Luke worked in the kitchen and the artists remained in the studio. Eventually, Gus was tired of hanging out with the little kids and went down to see if he could help him with anything.

"What are you up to, Gus?"

"I like some of kid's movies but I can only watch so many of them. Can I help you with anything?"

"If you want to. You could make garlic bread. The bread is cut and just needs the garlic mixture spread on it."

"I can do that."

As they both worked on their tasks, Luke asked. "Are you liking school here?"

"Ya, I am. I kind of feel like this is the first time I am attending a real school. I have had tutors and, of course, on the island I went to school but it was such a small place. I did some classes online. Did you know some of the kids had to take a boat to school every day?"

"I had heard about that on islands."

"Some of those kids had never been anywhere. I am not saying they were dumb but they didn't know about a lot of things I knew. My classmates now, at least most of them, have been to a lot of places. Duh, you know that."

"I'm glad you realize that your previous classmates were not unintelligent. They just had smaller worlds. Does that make sense?"

"Sure. I have to think a lot harder here but I like that."

"That's because you have been taught to stretch your reality. Can I ask how you are doing after the kidnapping? Do you still have bad dreams?"

"It has been a while. Talking to Terry helped a lot. He just seems to ask me the right things to make me think straight."

"Terry is good, but he knew you were smart and would understand."

"He just kept reminding me of everyone who loved me, but he also said it was okay if I still felt scared sometimes."

"It is. Remember if you ever have one of those feelings at school you can come to my office.  Even if you just need a minute to remember you are safe."

"Thanks, Luke."

Luke asked more questions about Hawkin's Island and Gus was happy to answer.

 

Brian was in the middle of Aaron's room tossing a ball back and forth between the kids when his phone rang. "I'll be right back, guys. El, it's your dad."

Brian stepped out into the hall and answered, "Hey, Terry. How are your patients?"

"One passed away and there are three new cases. Right now they are all stable. I just showered and should be back at the landing strip in about 30 minutes."

"Let me know when you land and I should get there by the time you get the plane housed."

"Brian, how is Griff?"

"I haven't seen him. He has been in the studio with Sunshine and Matt."

"Can you set it up so that Griff and I can spend some time alone?"

"I will text Justin. I am sure they will leave when you arrive."

"Thanks. See you in half an hour." Terry disconnected the call.

Brian called Justin but he didn't answer. After letting Aaron, El, and Jessi know he was going out to the studio, he also informed Luke and Gus so they were aware the younger children were alone. He grabbed a jacket and slipped on some boots before going out the door. He had about twenty minutes until Terry landed, so he moved as quickly as he could through the snow and let himself into the studio. He watched as the men worked individually and yet together. If he had the time, he would have watched for a while but he didn't have the time.

Justin was on the end of the project near the door and he slipped up behind him. He wrapped an arm around Justin's neck and covered his mouth as he brought his lips to Justin's ear. "Shhh, come with me for just a minute." Together they walked out into the entry without Matt or Griff noticing.

"Brian, I would love to have sex right now but..."

Brian kissed him and said, "I wish we did have time for sex, but I'm going to go pick up Terry. Can you be ready to wrap up whatever you are doing in about an hour?

"Ya, we are all finishing up what we are working on right now."

"Good. I'm picking up Terry now and we should be back in about 45 minutes to an hour. Don't tell Griff. They just need a little time alone and if Griff knows he's coming he might leave."

"Alright, when Terry shows up, we will duck out."

Brian leaned in and kissed him. "Damn, I wish I had time to..." with that Justin hugged him and, making eye contact, drew his fingertips along his jaw, before going back into the studio. Brian's heart skipped a beat. Justin still did it for him. As Brian moved to the SUV he thought to himself that he needed to plan a get away with Justin soon. It had been a while since they had an uninterrupted weekend. They needed a weekend with clothes optional and sex... lots and lots of sex.

 

Terry's plane was just skipping on the runway and slowing to a stop as Brian pulled into the gravel lot. Terry guided the plane to the hangar and Brian strode in behind him. "How was the flight?"

"It was stunning up there. All the fresh snow was totally undisturbed. It was magical. Oh, and believe it or not, I just saw the mountain lion. He was about a mile from here. I was already descending to land. I actually took an extra loop to get lower to see him. It looks like he is injured. I am sure I saw blood on his shoulder."

"I'll have Joshua call the Wildlife agents to check it out. That would solve two problems, it will help the cat if he is injured and get him out of our area." Brian helped Terry close up the hangar and together they walked to the SUV.

"So, did you set it up that I will get Griff alone?" Terry asked nervously as they got into the vehicle.

"Yes, Justin was going to make sure he and Matt were at a place they could step out when you showed up."

"Do you know how mad he is?"

 "As I said earlier, we are married to artists. They are temperamental and passionate and that is what makes them who they are. We just have to deal with the temperament to get to the passion."

"I know you're right. I just wish he could see my point."

"He loves you. You're the rock for the family. If something happens to you, he doesn't know what he would do, and I think the fact that now you have Elian, he would be the sole parent."

"Brian, I understand all that but he knew he was marrying a doctor. He has to give some."

"Can I give you a little advice?" Terry nodded. "Remember to deal with it carefully. It will sink in when he isn't worried about you. Remind him how much he loves you and why."

Brian pulled the car into the garage and Terry said, "Wish me luck."

"You don't need it."

Brian texted Justin, and they were literally coming out the door as Terry reached for the nob. Matt and Justin walked out and Justin kissed Terry's cheek and pushed him through the door gently. Brian saw the men heading his way and waited for them. Justin started to jog. All of the sudden he needed to kiss him. Brian's hair was tousled and the chill in the air had put color in his cheeks. Matt discreetly moved toward the house as Justin threw himself into Brian's arms. By the time the kiss ended both of them had warmed from the inside out. 

"What was that for?" Brian asked Justin. "Not that I'm complaining."

"I love you and although we have seen each other all the time, I feel like..."

"We haven't had time for us."

"Exactly!"

"I promise that within the next month we will go somewhere. I was thinking during the week might be better than a weekend."

"It probably would. I know I have to go to Denver for a day in a couple weeks but other than that..."

"Why don't we use that trip for our getaway?

"That would work. It's a Tuesday morning."

"Well we can go into the city on Monday and maybe stay until the end of the week?"

"I like that idea. We will talk later. Right now we better go in. We are being watched by a little brown eyed, adorable girl."

Brian waved at Jessi, "Let's go." They kissed once more and then walked, hand in hand, to the house.

 

"What did you forget?" Griff said without looking up.

Terry moved up behind him and put his arms around him from behind and pulled him against his chest. "I didn't forget anything. I didn't forget that my husband is the most important man in the world to me. You and Elly mean everything to me." 

Griff tried to get out of Terry's arms but Terry just tightened them. "Terry, let go of me."

"I need you to listen to me and I think you will dart if I let go."

"If I promise not to leave will you let me go?" he shoved Terry away and Terry let him go. 

"So let me have it. I know you are upset with me." 

Griff walked away and stared at the commission. It amazed him how the project was progressing. Then he looked at Terry and something changed in his expression. "You left us.  Without checking with me, you just made plans and..." Griff stopped and turned away from him. Saying it out loud made him think. "I sound unreasonable. I hear it, but you deal with life and death and when it could affect you, it affects me. I'm not strong like you are. You know that.  When Justin hired me, I barely left my apartment except to go to the art store. Working for Justin, I finally found the self confidence to live a semi-normal life. And then I met you, and you were so perfect, and for some reason, you loved me. I..., I really am being selfish."

Griff turned and was surprised to find Terry right behind him. Terry extended a hand, and when Griff took it, he pulled him close. "We all have a right to be selfish sometimes. And right now it is my turn." Terry wrapped his arms around Griff's waist and pulled him close. Their hips pressed against each other and then their lips found each other and Griffon clung to his neck, deepening the kiss.

When they finally separated Griff said, "I love you, Terry Andrews. I'm just not sure I could love without you."

"You would find a way, because you love our son and he would need you all the more." He kissed him once more and then said, "I love you, too, Griffin. More than I knew I could love anyone. And now, I think we should head back to the house before Justin comes out to see if you killed me or not."

"I really can be an idiot." Griff smiled at him before going to get his jacket and together they walked back to the main house.

 

The lasagna was a big hit, and as they ate it Terry told everyone about his day. "It was a perfect day to fly. The snow was so untainted. It was stunning."

"Did you see the angels sprinkling the sparkles?" Jessi asked as her brothers rolled their eyes but didn't say anything.

"You know, I bet that is what I saw. I saw something that didn't look like a cloud but it went too high for me to see it anymore." 

"Wow!" Jessi said in amazement.

Terry went on, "Anyway, I tracked where the flu came from and I expect everyone else to pull through without any trouble. The man who passed away was very old and had a lot of medical issues."

"Did you see any angels on the way back?" Elian asked.  He knew the other boys didn't believe in it but he wasn't sure.  He had never seen anything sparkle like the snow.

"No, by then they all were tired, I'm sure. But I did see our mountain lion." This got everyone's attention. "Brian, did you talk to Joshua?"

"I did. Last I heard the Wildlife agents were going to try to get some traps set up in the area."

"Nobody will hurt him, will they?" Aaron asked.

"No, they will help him. He looked like he might be injured. They will probably medicate him and then, when they know he is healthy, they will take him back out to a safer place that isn't so close to our house."

"Did you see the bison herd?" Gus asked.

"I saw their tracks. It looked like they moved to the lower prairie. They will probably stay down there most of the winter, according to Joshua."

"Terry, do you think I could fly with you sometime? I want to see where they live this time of year."

"We could probably work that out sometime. You could come with me to the reservation, too."

"Oh, that would be cool!"

"We'll get it set up on your next day off." Terry smiled at him.

Matt and Luke talked about looking for a new place to live. Their apartment was leased through the end of the year but they didn't want to stay there.

"I don't know if you are interested, and it would make your commute longer, but the bunk house has two sides. Dusty and Willow have fixed up their half really nice.  It has all been insulated and the plumbing and electric has been done. It could be set up with two bedrooms and still have room for all the necessities." Justin was thinking as he spoke.

"Are you serious? That would be unbelievable." Matt said as he looked from Brian to Justin and then to Luke.

Brian nodded, "If you are willing to be the school bus, you could use our SUV since yours would be a little crowded with four more." 

"Dusty seems to enjoy the remodeling so we will talk to him tomorrow. We can have him show you around and tell him what you want."

 

As the evening wound down, Terry, Griffin, and Elian went to their house and Luke and Matt couldn't wait until the next day to see their new place and start planning.

Soon the house was quiet and Brian and Justin started a fire in their bedroom hearth. They undressed and slipped into robes before sitting on the small sofa by the now roaring fire. They sat there for several minutes without saying anything, Brian's arm around Justin's shoulder and Justin's head resting on Brian's shoulder. 

"Brian," Justin said simply, "I love you." He brushed his mouth along Brian's jaw.

As he neared Brian's mouth, he turned to meet him. They didn't rush. Their mouths and hands moved slowly along the exposed skin, but when that wasn't enough, one by one they slid the robe off the other, caressing the now exposed areas and once they both had shed their robes, Justin started to slip down to the rug in front of the blaze.

"Sunshine, if you don't mind, we have that amazing bed ten feet away. This old body..." 

Justin stood and reached for Brian's hand. Together they walked to the bed and dropped onto the mattress. For the next half hour they explored every inch of their partner's body and then they made love just like they did the first time. Justin's legs were on Brian's shoulders and as they moved their hips to meet each other Brian leaned down to kiss him.

The need for release grew for both of them and they both moved faster and faster until they both found the pleasure they always found when they were together.

When their breathing got back to normal and Brian's head lay on Justin's chest, Justin said, "Every time I think I know every inch of you and I start to wonder if we will get tired of each other, there is a night like tonight and then I know, I will never tire of your body or your soul. You know me like no one else ever has or ever will."

"That's a good thing because I will never let you go."

"Love you, Sunshine," Brian said and then as he drifted off he started planning their time away.