- Text Size +

 

The next day the snow was still falling and the sky was still heavy, making it appear they could still get several inches. Justin went out with Joshua after breakfast. He wanted to talk to him about yesterday and wanted to have him clarify a few things so he could make an educated response to the email. The kids were excited about their planned morning of baking. Willow and Luke also came.

Brian went to his office. There was an email from his security company about Lily's attorney, who was her power of attorney. After glancing through the material, Brian forwarded it on to Robert, and then took time to read through it. It was obvious to him that Lily had made requests for Nova's future. However, it didn't include a copy of the will and Brian was also curious what Nova's parents had planned for their daughter in their wills. He shot Robert one more email. All it said was, ‘What about the parent's wills?"

 

"So, Justin, I don't think you are joining me because riding in a snow plow has been a lifelong dream," Joshua said in his expressionless way.

"Well, as much as I am enjoying this, you're right." Justin paused for a moment before telling Joshua about the email he received. He then went on, "Joshua, obviously I know what your nature is, and know that you don't have anything to do with the brutality."

"I was told at the feet of my ancestors about our history, and I have often wondered if I would have been one of those young warriors who went out to look for our enemies."

"And what did you decide you would do? From what I read, not all of those murdered were attacking. I mean, there were women and children tortured."

"This is true, but the part that rarely gets told is the ordeal the Comanche nation had been through. The Spaniards had taught them to trust no one. To quote a song Emma likes, ‘you've got to be taught to hate and fear'. The Comanche were taught to hate and fear anyone that was different from them."

"Joshua, I think my exhibit needs that story next to it. Would you write some ideas down for me so we can put something together to honor your ancestors?"

Joshua stopped the blower and turned to look at his passenger. "Thank you. Yes, they were brutal, but there is a history behind it. My ahra, my uncle, knows many of the old stories. He will help."

"I want to show the whole history, not just what is published in most books." Justin patted Joshua's shoulder as they had come around near the stables. "If you could let me off, I should get to the studio."

Joshua stopped, and at a jog, Justin headed to his workshop, feeling much better than he had the day before.

 

After lunch, the kids, including Elian, were allowed to go to the stable to play with their animals.  As they left, Brian realized that it was safer, now that the mountain lion had been trapped after the last snow. He had been injured somehow, but they had been notified that he would soon be brought back to the wild, but would be dropped off a distance away from the ranch where the wild life agents knew there was an abundance of food, as well as great dens for him to make his home. Brian watched them walk, Gus holding Jessi's mittened hand and the other boys walking side by side.

"Brian, I will go out with the kids as soon as I help Emma get the kitchen picked up," Willow said when she saw him watching them.

"Thanks, Willow. I have a little work to check on in my office." He now turned to Emma, "Robert said he would contact me today and let me know if he had found out anything yet."

"Did your people find anything?"

"They did, and I forwarded it onto Robert this morning. I didn't look at it closely but it appeared to be a copy of Lily's will, but I didn't see Nova's parents' wills. My lawyer isn't an expert in this kind of law but her parents' wishes may be honored if it says anything about Joshua."

Emma did the sign of the cross and looked toward heaven. "I don't know how to thank you."

"Give that child a good home. That's all I need." Brian looked at the door when he heard it open, expecting it to be one of the kids, but it was Terry. "Hey, Terry, I was just heading to the office.  Do you have time to go over a few things?"

"That's why I came. I know I have been leaving too much of that to you."

The two men strode out of the kitchen, moving toward the office. "How was the night with the family?" Brian asked.

"Who knew that playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and eating cardboard pizza in front of the fire could be one of the best nights of your life? I have never heard Elian laugh so long and so hard. The only thing better was the first time Griff said he loved me."

Brian smiled, "Did you have s'mores afterward?"

"It wouldn't have been a slumber party if we didn't have them for dessert. Then we put a bunch of blankets and rugs in a pile and slept there" 

"Do you think people that knew they were loved as kids have the same reaction to time with family that we do?"

"I think so, but I don't think it sinks as deep into the core. Justin couldn't love his kids or me any more than he does, but you've met Jenn, he always knew someone loved him. He has talked me through many meltdowns where I just couldn't figure out why I was worthy of all of this."

"I get that, Brian. My parents proved to me everyday that I wasn't worthy of love, but at least I had Darla. Now that I have seen the movie ‘The Help', I see she was the one that made me feel worthy of anything, just like the help in the movie. I miss her, but I know she is happy where she is and I know she will come visit."

"Will she be on the island when we go back for Christmas?" Brian threw out.

"I don't think so. We are working on a trip this spring." Terry looked at Brian's cluttered desk. "So what is up in the business world?"

The men sat across the desk from each other for a couple of hours before there was a knock on the door. Emma popped in and said, "I brought you some coffee and fresh scones."

"You are amazing, Emma. Your timing is impeccable. We are just finishing up," Terry said, smiling at the woman.

"I have to admit this isn't all hospitality. Brian, have you heard anything from Mr. Charles?"

"I'm sorry, I haven't been in my personal email since this morning." He clicked a couple keys and took a sip of the coffee while the machine whirred and a new window popped up. 

"I'm sorry, Brian. I shouldn't have bothered you. You and Terry are working."

"Don't be silly. We really were just finishing up. There is an email from him. Give me a minute." Brian concentrated on the screen in front of him. Brian let a soft sound slip between his lips and then looked up at Emma. "I need to make a call. I hope you don't mind."

"Emma, you wouldn't happen to have more of these scones, would you?" Terry asked as he guided Emma out the door, closing it behind them.

Brian picked up the phone and dialed the number in the email. "Mr. Kinney, what can I do for you?" Derek's voice came across the line with a hint of flirtation.

"I need to talk to Charles."

"Mr. Charles didn't tell me you were..."

"Derek, having met Mr. Charles, I don't think he tells you everything that is going on. Now, will you please let him know I am on the phone?" Brian could almost hear him shrug and walk across a room.

"You checked your email," was all Robert Charles said when he came on.

"I did. What is the big news?"

"I made a couple calls. One was to the local tribe, and from the information I gleaned there I called the lawyer that produced Nova's parents' wills."

Brian got excited, "Is he sending you a copy? Did he tell you what they said? Can you forward them to me?"

"Kinney, slow down. I don't only have a copy, but by tomorrow, if the road to my place gets open, I will have the originals of the wills." His voice was cocky.

"Robert, remember this is not about Joshua. It is about a young girl."

When Robert spoke again he was serious, "Brian, I told the lawyer I had been hired to represent Joshua. That is why he is sending me original copies of the wills. When Lily received custody, Joshua was mentioned, also, but she told them she thought Joshua was dead, even though she knew he wasn't. I will be receiving a copy of the wills that have Joshua's name on them."

"Damn, Robert, what am I supposed to tell Joshua?"

"What if I have the package rerouted to your house and I will come to you?"

"Um, Robert, I thought you didn't leave your place."

"I don't like to leave my place and I don't like crowds, but as much as I don't care for Joshua, he is a good man and that little girl needs a family. I'll let you know tomorrow what time to expect the package and what time to expect us."

Before Brian could respond, the phone went dead.

As Brian walked toward the kitchen, he wondered how he was going to talk to Emma and Joshua about the call with Robert Charles, Esq. The only real information he had was that they were having guests tomorrow, and those guests would rock their world, no matter what they were told. As he entered the kitchen and found the three younger kids had returned and were in the cat enclosure watching movies. Luke was making one of his desserts with Gus' assistance and he could hear they were deep in discussion. He realized how fortunate they were to have Terry and now Luke to help Gus through his kidnapping. He shivered just thinking about how the situation could have turned out differently.

There was sound coming from the laundry room so he looked in to see who was there. He found Emma, with her back to the door, humming an Irish folk song he recognized. He walked up behind her and tapped her shoulder. She turned and Brian offered his hand to her. She started singing the tune and she and Brian waltzed to the end of the song. Emma giggled like a young girl. "I haven't done that in years." She kissed his cheek and said, "Brian, Justin is a very lucky man to have such a romantic in his life."

"I'm afraid I fall short more often than I should."

"Your Sunshine knows how much he is loved."

"I think he really does now, but I put him through a lot of shit," Brian saw Emma's disapproval. "I didn't make it easy for him."

"Joshua was no picnic either, but both you and he were worth the effort." Emma drifted off for just a moment, obviously thinking about her love. When she came back to the present, she said, "Now, you didn't just come in here to dance with me. You heard from Robert."

"I did. He will be coming here tomorrow afternoon. He will let me know what time later."

"Why is he coming here? That doesn't sound good."

"All I know is that there was something about Joshua in his son's will. Lily had lied to the lawyer and told them that Joshua was dead or something like that. The wills will be delivered here tomorrow and Robert will be coming to review them with Joshua. I tried to get more out of him but he hung up."

Emma laughed, "Now that doesn't surprise me. Bobby never did like phones."

"Bobby? That's what his boyfriend calls him." Brian looked at Emma's face and for a moment her expression changed. "Why do Robert and Joshua dislike each other? I know it has something to do with a court case for the tribe, but I think there is more than that."

"You are a nosy thing sometimes," Emma said, but then smiled. When I met Joshua I was engaged to Bobby." Emma saw Brian's mind kick into high drive. "I don't know how young his latest boy is, but when we were engaged Bobby couldn't even admit to himself that he would never be happy with a woman. Although we loved each other there was never that tension... you know what I mean."

"I do," Brian gave her a reassuring smile.

"I saw my brave and I forgot Bobby's name."

"Robert didn't seem too upset, at least not with you."

"Joshua and Bobby will never be friends, but although neither would admit it, they do respect each other."

 

Everyone met at the main house for dinner that evening. After Dusty had finished helping with the snow, he and Matt had spent a good part of the day working on the apartment Matt and Luke would be moving into around Christmas. Justin and Griff spent their day in the studio and were excited when they arrived at the house. They had gotten a new image and changed a minor part of the project that solved an issue they had run across.

As they ate, Dusty and Willow asked if the kids would like to go skiing with them tomorrow. They had cleared it with Brian before mentioning it. None of them had been skiing before but there was a small slope that Dusty had used as a kid and it would be perfect for them to learn. Matt and Luke agreed to go along so the four kids and four adults would be out of the house all afternoon.

Gus was very excited to learn how to ski. Dusty promised to take him a little distance away from the others on a little bigger slope that would be too much for the younger ones to try this time. As soon as dinner was over Gus went up to his room and the others all ran to Aaron's to ‘plan' their day.

Soon Dusty and Willow, along with Luke and Matt, walked back to the place they would be sharing. The place was far from done but the bedroom was completed enough for them to sleep in. It had heat and was insulated. That was all they needed.

That left six of them in the great room. They had moved out of the kitchen area and sat in the overstuffed furniture on the other side of the room in front of the fireplace. They all had port or coffee, and after Justin and Griff explained the changes they had made, Justin explained how Joshua was helping him add a story about how the indigenous people had been treated so they trusted no one.

"I know we will have a lot of challenges ahead yet, but I am feeling good about this."

"I can't imagine anyone else treating this project with as much respect as you are, Justin," Joshua responded and then continued, "Now, Brian, I hear you have heard from Charles. Is he playing games? Why won't he tell you what is going on?"

"Joshua, Robert is having a legal document delivered here tomorrow and he will be here around 3:30 tomorrow to read the document to you."

"I can read myself," he said with no emotion.

"I know that and so does he, however, I think we both know that legalese can be confusing. You are listed on this document and it will be completed legally." Brian put an arm around Justin and pulled him close.

Joshua's nerves were getting the best of his calm demeanor. "Brian, he had to have told you more than that."

"All I know is you were listed in your son's will. Honestly, Joshua, I would tell you if I knew more."

"Come on, Chief, let's go to bed." Emma stood and held her hand out to Joshua who took it and rose. They all said goodnight and the older couple walked to their lodgings. As they walked Joshua leaned a bit on Emma, reminding them he wasn't as young as he sometimes appeared.

Once they were gone Terry said, "I think we need to hire a new ranch foreman and promote Joshua to ranch manager so on days like this he doesn't have to spend hour after hour out in the blow and shoveling by hand. We will never get him to stop working with the animals but he can manage a foreman who takes care of all the rest."

All four men agreed. Griff added, "That will give him more time with his granddaughter, too."

"It will, and that is probably how we will get him to take the new position," Justin added. He leaned over and kissed Brian.

"I think it's time for us to collect Elly and head home," Terry said, standing and pulling Griff close for a hug and a kiss. Griff and Justin went upstairs to get El while Brian and Terry started planning how to advertise for the new position.

Brian and Justin had a hard time getting Jessi and Aaron settled down. They were very excited about going skiing in the morning, but they finally managed to get them to sleep. Then Brian and Justin walked across to Gus'. They found him standing in the dark at his balcony door. They walked up behind him and Justin said, "Hey Gus, are you looking at the stars?"

"Not really," he said with no energy in his voice.

Brian put his arm around their son's shoulders. "What is it? Did something happen?"

"Not really. I just am a little worried about skiing. I really want to learn, but what if my leg... it still hurts sometimes, and what if it breaks again."

"Oh, Gus, I think if Terry thought it was dangerous for you, he would have told you." Justin kissed the top of his head and realized how much he had grown. "How about if we text Terry and ask him if it might be a good thing to wear the brace you wore after the cast came off? I think that should work to ski in." As Justin was talking, Brian was texting.

Only a moment later Brian's phone pinged. "Terry said the brace is a great idea. He will see if he needs to make adjustments to it in the morning." Brian looked at his son and said, "He's right. You have grown in the last couple months."

Gus walked to the bed and Justin and Brian followed him. "Thanks, Dads. I feel a lot better now." He hugged both of them and Brian and Justin said good night and walked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

"Did you realize how tall he was getting?" Justin asked.

"I think he is growing about an inch a month lately," Brian hugged Justin. "They are all growing up so fast."

‘We could have another one," Justin commented, looking into Brian's eyes hopefully.

"Justin, we can try to make a baby as often as you like, but seriously, don't you think three is enough? We are already outnumbered and, as much as I love ours, I don't think I want to start with diapers again, or being kept up all night or..."

"Alright, alright..." Justin kissed him lightly and they moved down the steps. As they walked into the primary bedroom, Justin said, "I'm taking a bath." He pulled his shirt off. "Want to join me?" He dropped his pants to the carpet and walked into the bathroom.

"Fuck ya," Brian disrobed as fast as he could and followed Justin into the bathroom. When he arrived in the bathroom, the tub was filling and Justin was in the small toilet room. Brian sank into the warm, churning water and rested his head against the back of the slipper tub and closed his eyes.

Justin came out and found him dozing off. He walked softly and when he came up behind him, he began to gently draw circles on Brian's temples. Brian sighed "That feels wonderful."

"Well, I am hoping a few other things will feel really good while we're in here," he said as he stepped into the tub between Brian's legs and sat down so he could rest against his chest.  Brian wrapped his arms around him, tightly for a moment and then loosened them a bit as he licked him below his ear, sending a shiver from that spot right down his chest and to the end of his cock.

Brian's hand moved to Justin's penis and began to run his finger up and down the protruding vein on the bottom side. "Relax, Sunshine, go with it."

Justin let Brian take him to paradise, and after the orgasm finished running through him, he managed to turn around and wrap his legs around Brian's waist and his arms around his neck. "I love you, Brian."

"I love you, too." The two kissed, exploring each other's mouths and then their chests and necks. Brian took Justin's hips, and with Justin's assistance lowering himself, Brian moved deep inside of him. Brian pulled Justin tightly against him and held him like that for some time. Justin contracted his sphincter around Brian and held him tight. "I don't think I can hold on long."

"Then don't, Bri. Fill me." And with that said, Brian began to tremble and then he sighed. 

 

Later, as they laid in bed together, Justin said, "Do you think the will is in Joshua's favor? You didn't give any impression one way or the other when you were talking to Joshua and Emma."

"I didn't want to give them any false hope, but if I have intuition, we will soon have another child on the ranch."

"I really do hope so, not only for Emma and Joshua, but no seven year old should be at a boarding school with no one to go home to."

 

The next morning Terry got together with Gus and made some slight adjustments to his brace. Gus was still able to move fluidly, but the leg he had damaged had extra support. "This was a great idea. I should have thought about it."

"Thanks, Terry. I don't know why I was so worried but..."

Terry hugged him, "Gus, you went through hell last summer. You suffered a lot of pain and no one would forget that." He let go of him and asked, "Are you sleeping alright? Any panic attacks?"

"No. Not at home or school, but I am not ready to spend time around a lot of strangers."

"Well, no one is going to make you."

"Terry, I know it is a couple months away, but I'm not sure I can handle the airport or a plane when we go back to the island for Christmas. I'm not sure I can..."

"Have you told your dads?"

"I have been causing so much more work for them. I don't want to add to it."

"Gus, none of this is your fault. Your dads don't feel that way. I can talk to them if you don't want to."

"If you're sure it isn't a big problem, I will talk to them." 

"In fact, you talk to them and I will get in touch with a couple of my friends that have private planes."

"Thanks, Terry. I'm really glad you and my dads are friends. Actually, you are family."

 

The children all had a few chores they needed to complete, but an early lunch was served and the four kids and adults left in two vehicles. They could have squeezed into one but in case someone needed to go back early, they didn't want to ruin the day for everyone else. Everyone watched the cars pull out and then preparation for their visitors began. It would be another two hours before they arrived and they were expecting the package in about an hour. Terry and Griff felt they shouldn't be there for the reading and decided they would take advantage of having the house alone for a few hours. 

The package arrived in a sealed manilla envelope. If they opened it Robert Charles would know it. Brian tried to distract Joshua while Justin stayed with Emma, getting treats and coffee ready.

"Emma, I have never seen these cookies before. What are they?"

"I used to make them for Bobby. I never knew why he liked them so much. There is nothing special about them. There are no nuts, no chips or spices."

Justin took one and bit into it. He closed his eyes and savored the texture and the flavor. "Damn, I think I agree with him. These literally melt in your mouth. They don't need any bells or whistles."

"He used to say it was the love I put in them."

"I believe that, Emma. You put love and care in everything you do," Justin said, and then noticed Emma's lip was quivering. He put his arms around her.

"I just want to be able to show that wee one that although she lost all those that loved her, that we love her too."

"Ah, Emma, they would be crazy not to give you custody."

"But we don't know what that document said."

"If it is negative, that doesn't mean you can't still fight. Joshua is her grandfather and he is an upstanding leader in the community. You aren't worried that Mr. Charles will sabotage it, are you?"

"No. Bobby would never take out something like that on an innocent child." Emma touched her hair and took off her apron.

"You don't need it, but go check yourself out." He flapped his hands at her and she smiled as she threw her apron at him and moved to her apartment.

 

The gate alarm sounded and Brian buzzed them in. By the time the car pulled up in front of the main house, Brian and Justin were waiting at the door, and they opened the door just as Derek raised his hand to knock. "Thank you for coming," Brian said and waving them in. "Gentlemen, this is my husband Justin Taylor. Justin, this is Robert Charles and his... assistant, Derek." 

The men greeted each other and Derek immediately offered his hand to Justin, lingering as long as he could. Charles looked at Derek and Derek let go. "I apologize, Justin. My paramour has a bit of a crush on you." Robert said and Derek blushed. "I agree your work is stunning. I might like to have you paint something special for my place."

"I'd be honored, as soon as I finish the commission I am doing for the state at the moment. If next summer is early enough we can talk about it."

They escorted their guests into the great room and guided them to the fireplace where Emma had set out the refreshments and where she and Joshua were waiting to greet them. Joshua offered his hand and Robert extended his as well. After they shook hands, Robert locked eyes with Emma and as he stepped toward her, she met him halfway. They hugged each other briefly.  Both Derek and Joshua never looked away from their lovers' greeting. 

"It has been a long time, Emma. You have aged like fine wine."

"Still a liar, aren't you," she responded and stepped away from him. "Now, let's all sit down and get down to business."

Brian handed Robert the sealed delivery envelope and he laid it on his lap. "I have a couple things we need to discuss before I open this." Joshua opened his mouth but closed it again. "I want to give you the backstory I was told by the lawyer who wrote the will that is in this envelope." He picked up the cup of coffee that was in front of him and took a swallow. "When your son and his wife were killed, Nova's grandmother, Lily, lied and declared you dead." Robert looked at Joshua. "The lawyer should have done some research, but he didn't have any reason to doubt her. Before I go on, do you have any questions?"

"Please just tell me if I will be able to help my granddaughter," Joshua commented.

Robert opened the envelope. "I had received a copy of this, but this is the original signed will. Inside there was a smaller envelope. He handed it to Derek who stood and walked over to Joshua, handing it to him.

Joshua opened the envelope and pulled the document out. He started reading but then looked up and said, "Please just tell me what it says and what it means for Nova, Robert."

"Emma, Joshua, we do have to file some paperwork, but with the lawyer in agreement, your granddaughter's custody will be turned over to the two of you. There will be a social worker that will need to check out your living situation and review your history, but none of that should be a problem. If the social worker can contact the school counselor, they would like you to meet with Nova at the school. They don't want to rush the adjustment."

"Sorry to interrupt, but Luke, the school counselor, is actually out with our kids right now.  He and his partner are going to be moving up here soon and already spend every weekend here."

"Well, that should speed up the transition if Luke agrees," Robert concluded.

Emma reached over and hugged her husband, "It sounds like we need to start redecorating a bedroom."

They talked over a few more details and Emma refilled coffee cups. "Please help yourself to cookies and scones." The conversation turned much lighter. Derek asked Justin several questions while Robert spoke to Emma.  

As they spoke he reached for a cookie and took a bite. "Ah, Emma, you remembered."

"Of course I did, Bobby. I know they are your favorite. I have some boxed up for you and I included the recipe in case Derek or you want to try them."

"They are as good as I remember them. Joshua, I hope you know how fortunate you are. It took me years to admit this, but Emma and I, as much as we loved each other, would never have truly been a couple, not like the two of you are. I can tell you are happy together."

After a little more conversation, Derek and Robert got ready to go. "You are welcome to stay for dinner if you would like. Our meals are usually loud and active when we all eat together." Justin offered.

"No. We need to get home before dark. The roads are still a little iffy in spots," Robert said as he stood. "But maybe we can have a raincheck? It has been a long while since we have socialized."

"Oh, could we?" Derek asked as he clapped.

"Well, if we get an invitation, we can."

"Of course, Bobby. Once we have Nova, we will set up a time." 

Joshua and Emma walked Robert and Derek to the door just as the others returned from their ski outing. To everyone's surprise, the kids were quiet when they entered. Justin and Willow made hot chocolate for everyone that had been outside for hours. Brian added more cookies to the plate and cookies were offered along with the cocoa. 

As the kids finished their snack Brian asked, "So how was skiing?"

The children smiled and Aaron added, "Dad, it was a lot of fun but can we talk about it at dinner time? I am going to go play with JC and KC. Skiing is a lot of work."

"Sure, Aaron," Justin said. It looks like all of you could use some down time. Why don't you go do some reading or take a nap and you can tell us all about it later." All three of them polished off their treats and walked out of the kitchen together.

As they rinsed out cups, Justin asked Willow how the day went, "I won't spoil the stories they will tell but all three of them did so well. After dinner, if the pool heater is working well, it is probably a good idea to let them in there for a while. They will probably be a little achy tomorrow, but they are so young they may not even notice it."

Willow left for her own place, leaving Brian and Justin alone. "I don't know about you but I think today couldn't have gone any better," Justin said as he slipped his arms around Brian's waist and kissed his chin.

"I totally agree. Now tomorrow Terry and I can approach Joshua about hiring a foreman." Brian leaned down and kissed Justin. He led Justin back to the couch in front of the fireplace and they sat down together.

"That went about as well as I could have expected." Brian draped an arm around Justin.

"I couldn't agree more. Our kids obviously had a good time, and better yet, a little girl is going to have a family."

Brian smiled, "And as we know, family is everything."