- Text Size +

 

As fall turned to winter, changes occurred on Spirit Pass Ranch. Nova started by spending a few weekends at the ranch, but by Thanksgiving, she had moved in with her new grandparents full time. Matt and Luke moved into their apartment the same weekend. They had planned to wait until Christmas, but their new place was more spacious so they changed residence over Thanksgiving instead of Christmas. Now Spirit Pass had three new residents.

After Nova came to live with them, Joshua knew he wanted to slow down and readily agreed to hire a foreman. He wanted to be free to spend time with her. He had missed out on almost eight years of her life. He didn't want to have to spend his nights checking on animals or plowing the driveway.

Joshua worked with Brian and Terry to help find his own replacement. He heard about a man that he had known as a boy. Hank had spent time working on the ranch through high school and college and knew the property well. Since his family owned the nearest ranch, he would not need a place to live. His parents had sold most of their land to Spirit Pass, but the house was still owned by the family so he could stay at his own place and still live very close. He was a great worker but even more important, he really cared for the people on the ranch. He was always willing to help the kids with their horses or take them along to see Big Gus. He would join them for dinner from time to time but as much as he enjoyed ranch life, he did like his own space and usually left when his work was complete.

Emma had agreed she could use some help herself now that she had more work in her own place. It was decided that after the first of the year they would start looking for someone to do all the cleaning, while Emma would continue cooking for them. She could always cook ahead for them if she had things to do with Nova. 

Nova already loved her grandparents. As they got to know each other, Emma could see similarities between Joshua and their granddaughter. They were both somber most of the time but had huge hearts, and Nova had a need to learn about her culture, which made Joshua beam with pride.

Gus talked to his dads about flying to the Hawkin's Island and they agreed that a private plane  made sense for the eight of them. The day school was out for Christmas, the two families boarded the plane. Everyone was excited to see Molly and Daniel and their sweet little boy, Jaylen. They had also missed James and Emmett, and Jessi could barely contain herself knowing she would see Milly, her best friend in the world. To top it all off both Jenn and Kevin would be there to spend Christmas with their grandkids.

Everyone enjoyed their time at the beach with their friends and family. When it was time to go back to Colorado, Kevin went back with them to spend a little more time with Brian and his family, while Jenn stayed on the island with Molly's family. All of them said they would do their best to come to Colorado for the grand opening of the museum and the unveiling of Justin's biggest commission to date. 

As they arrived back at Spirit Pass Ranch Justin and Griff started preparing for the competition of the project. They ordered the remaining supplies required and started to plan the strategy of moving the project to Denver. The move would take several trips, and they hoped to start early in March.  

One night early in the new year Brian and Justin sat in the hot tub outside as more snow came down. "Do you still have more of the piece to pack up?"

"We should be able to finish it tomorrow," Justin said as he put his head back and caught some flakes on his tongue. He then turned to Brian and licked some flakes off his face.

Brian rumbled deep in his throat. He captured Justin's head between his hands and pulled him close for a long, gentle kiss. "Do you really have to go to Denver for two months?"

"I don't know how long it will be, but Griff and I will go down late in March so we can get it assembled before the big celebration. We will go back and forth."

Brian's mouth trailed down Justin's neck as he said, "I'll miss you. I'll miss this." He pulled Justin onto his lap.

They caressed each other in the chilled air. "I'll miss you, too, but you know I will be an ass under the stress of the project."

"Well, that's true but that ass is one of my favorite things in the world."

"Does it help to know that for the next few weeks I will have more free time than I have had in weeks."

"Good! That means I can take you somewhere for Valentine's Day. I am hoping we can go away for a week, or at least five days."

"You don't know how much I could use that. Where are we going?" Justin asked excitedly.

"You leave it all up to me. I will check if Willow and Dusty will stay in the house while we're gone."

"Where are we going?"

"None of your business. It will be warmer than here. Do you want to be around a lot of people or just the two of us?"

"Just us. It would be nice if we could have some meals delivered so we don't have to cook all our meals."

"Oh, Sunshine," Brian pulled him against his chest, "Is that all? I promise you a trip where the only thing you need to do is wipe that beautiful ass of yours."

The tone of Justin's voice changed. "You won't do that for me?" he whispered into his ear.

"Damn, you know I would do anything you needed me to do." They kissed again and Brian straightened up. "Ready to go in? It is getting colder out here. The wind is picking up."

Justin stood and rushed out of the water. And without grabbing a towel, he rushed into the house. Brian followed, grabbing two towels on his way past. As soon as they were in the room, Brian tossed one of the towels to Justin and they moved in front of the fireplace to dry off. "When I think about it, I'm not sure I should go away. I know the large pieces will already be in Denver but I still have some of the smaller pieces..."

Brian pulled him close, "Sunshine, you know you can take some time off. And if I'm honest, we need time alone. Christmas was great with Mol and her family, and Em and James, and it was nice for Dad to come for a couple weeks, but when was the last time you and I," his hand came to rest on Justin's ass. "I love you and I need you. You are going to be spending most of your time in Denver and when you are here on the weekends, the kids will need you and want to be with you and they should have your attention then, but I am getting you all to myself for as long as you will let me. Two weeks?" Brian pressed his pelvis against Justin's and felt him respond.

"I can't do two weeks. How about five days?" Justin responded.

Brian's mouth traveled down Justin's neck and across his clavicle. "Ten days," he said and then moved his mouth lower and his tongue began to circle one of Justin's nipples. 

Justin's head dropped back and Brian immediately moved to his exposed neck. "A week. Seven days." His voice trembled a little as his need for Brian grew.

Brian now dropped to his knees and, with his hands on Justin's cheeks, slowly took Justin into his mouth. After giving his cock several moments of attention, Brian freed his mouth and said, "Ten days?" before flicking the end of the erections.

"Damn!" Justin grabbed Brian's head and pressed it so he took his cock back in his mouth and then expressing air through clenched teeth, he said, "Ten days! Now take me to bed!"

 

Brian had less than two weeks to plan. Kevin had visited them for a couple weeks, but had now gone home. So the morning after Justin agreed to go away, Brian was on the phone with his mother-in-law. "Are you still on the island?"

"I am at the moment. There is nothing wrong, is there?"

"No, Jenn. But I finally convinced your son to run away with me for ten days. I know we have friends here that will watch the kids but..."

"When do you want me there?"

"We are leaving February 10th and will come back on the 20th."

"I will be there by the eighth. I will get in touch when I have everything set."

"Thank you, Jenn. He will feel so much better with you here." Brian was glad she agreed.  "I think Terry will be able to meet you at the airport and fly you the rest of the way here."

"Where did the two of you decide to go?"

"I haven't told him and I am still working on some of the details, but I have a plan."

"I am sure you do. Thank you, Brian, for knowing what he needs more than he knows himself."

"Jenn, you know I would do anything for him."

"I do know that. I know both of my children are loved by their husbands as much as I love them."

Brian said he would be in touch and suggested they would keep her arrival a secret from everyone. And now that he had Jenn on her way, he needed to lock down a location.  

By the end of the day, Brian had a place on the San Antonio Riverwalk. He had wanted to go somewhere they had not been before but he also didn't want to spend half their time enroute. Then he remembered Terry talking about an old friend's place on the Riverwalk. Terry called his friend and then Brian connected with him, and he said the place was theirs for ten days. It was a small but elegant place on the riverwalk and, best of all, it came with a chef for half of their stay.  Breakfast and lunch would be prepared for them ahead of time and dinners would be prepared about half the time, leaving them some evenings to check out the nightlife. 

Brian connected with the chef and gave him some meal suggestions for their visit and the chef would make reservations at top restaurants for a couple of the nights. Brian was almost glad Justin was in Denver for a few days. He would have been trying to get the information out of him every day and that would stress both of them out. When Justin and Griff got back for the weekend, the kids wanted all his attention, especially knowing he would be leaving again soon along with Brian.  

As Jessi crawled up on the sofa, making room for herself between her dads, she stuck out her bottom lip and gripped a hand on either side of her. "Now, Daddies, I understand why you need a break from those boys, but I think I should go along. Who will take care of you? Who will take care of me?" she asked, turning her big eyes first at one dad and then the other.

Brian and Justin looked at each other over her head and held back their smiles. Justin lifted her up onto his lap and said, "Who would watch over the boys if you came along?"

"They have Emma and Willow."

"Wouldn't you have Emma and Willow, too?" Brian asked and received a scathing look from his daughter.

Later that night, after the kids were in bed, Justin began to feel guilty. "Are we sure we should be gone that long? I've been gone, and in the next couple of months I will be spending so much time away..."

Brian cut him off with a kiss and slipped his hand between Justin's legs as he did so. He then brought his mouth to Justin's ear and said, "They can come next time. I need you all to myself and to step out into the world with you on my arm."

"What part of the world?" Justin questioned lightheartedly, trying to get some information out of him.

"Let me tell you..." he dropped a kiss on Justin's forehead as he stood up, "when we get on the plane." Justin threw a pillow at him, nailing him in the back of his head.

 

Justin and Griff did another overnight trip to Denver early the next week. They left on Wednesday and planned to return on Thursday. While Justin was away, Jenn arrived. When the kids got home from school, they exploded with excitement. Jessi flung her arms around her grandmother's waist. "Grandma! I didn't know you were coming!" She looked over at Brian and gave him a dirty look. "You and Daddy didn't tell us she was coming."

"To be honest, your other dad doesn't know she is here. It is a surprise for him, too. As much as we love and trust Willow and Emma, we knew no one is better than a grandparent when we are gone, and since Grandpa was just here, it was Grandma's turn."

"Oh Grandma, I am so glad you're here." Aaron gave Jenn a big hug. I wasn't worried or anything but I don't think our dads have ever been gone over a week."

"Well, I just spent time with Jaylen and, I know I saw you at Christmas but I have never been here so now the three of you," she hugged Gus to her side, "can show me all the amazing things on your ranch." She kissed the top of Gus' head, "You are growing up too fast."

"Now, we need to plan this surprise for your dad," Brian said conspiratorially. He will be here in about an hour. I was thinking that Grandma could just go sit in the cat loft by the TV up there," he pointed up in the loft. "He will focus on us but eventually it will click."

"He will definitely figure it out when he sees what's for dinner."

Gus looked at his grandma, "Did you make your lasagna? Yours is the best I ever had."

"I did, Gus." Jenn smiled at him, "I happen to know it is your favorite, too."

"Ok, you three, why don't you get busy on your homework because we all know once he's home, you won't want to work."

"Oh, and Emma left some snacks for you. Sit down at the table and I will bring them to you."

 

The kids were just finishing up homework when Brian received a text from Justin. He and Griff would arrive in about half an hour. "If you are done with your homework, why don't you get your backpacks put away and then come down to see your dad and his surprise."

When the alarm went off that Justin had entered the property, Jenn went up to the loft by the cats and Jessi was right at the door while the boys were nearby. The door opened and Justin strode in with his overnight bag on his shoulder. "Now this is a great way to be greeted. My whole family is standing here to greet me."

"Hi, Daddy, did your project go good?"

"It did, Sweetheart." He dropped his bag and Jessi stepped into his arms. He picked her up and hugged her tight. "How was school?" Justin asked, looking at the boys. 

"School was fine," Gus said. "I'm glad you're here. I'm getting hungry."

"I'm getting hungry, too," Aaron chimed in.

Justin set Jessi down and walked toward Brian to greet him. "Damn, it does smell good in here. If I didn't know better, I would say that was Mom's lasagna." Jessi giggled and Gus covered her mouth while Aaron put a finger to his lips. Justin kissed Brian before he continued, "Is it Willow's lasagna?" Justin noticed the TV on up in the loft and said, "Aaron, did you leave the TV on in the loft? I thought we were going to try to save some energy." Justin moved half a step to one side and continued, "Is someone up there? Who..." And then he pulled everything together. "Mom?" He looked at Brian, "Did you...?"

"Hi, Honey," Jenn said as she came down the steps and by the time she made it to the door, Justin was there to meet her. He picked her up and she kissed his cheek. "I hope you don't mind me keeping the kids company. Brian called a week ago."

"Mom, I am so glad you're here." He turned toward Brian and said, "Thank you."

"I figured if Jenn could come you would worry a lot less." Brian took a step closer to him and kissed him.

Justin smiled and said, "So that really is your lasagna?"

"Yes, Son. Gus, will you help me get dinner ready for the table? Justin, why don't you bring that bag to your room."

Justin smiled at her, "Yes, my mother is in the house." 

Aaron picked up Justin's bag and said, "I'll carry it for you, Daddy." He put the bag over his head and shoulder and then he took Justin's hand and they walked hand in hand back toward the bedroom.

"Grandma, can I help with dinner, too?"

"Of course you can. Why don't you set the table for six people."

 

Twenty minutes later they were sitting around the table listening to Jenn's stories about Jaylen while everyone else ate lasagna and garlic bread. Jaylen had started walking and was into everything.

When Jenn took time to eat, Gus spoke, "So do you know where you're going, Dad?" he asked Justin.

"No, I don't. Your father is being unreasonable." 

"It isn't unreasonable to want to surprise someone."

"How are we going to know where you are?" Gus asked.

"Your grandma will know where we are and she can tell you when you get home from school after we have left."

"Okay, that works for me," Gus responded. "Can we call you?"

"I've got an idea," Jenn said. "I will schedule some time with your dads and then if something really important comes up, we will make a special call."

"That sounds perfect," Justin said, smiling at his mom.

 

Jenn and Justin enjoyed their day together, and that evening everyone on the ranch came to the main house for a big going away dinner. Brian had wrapped everything up in his office but filled Terry in on the current projects in case some emergency came up. There were lots of laughs during the meal and after the children were put to bed, the adults drank wine and all the couples spoke of how jealous they were that they weren't going away. Terry had already lined up a week for he and Griff to go to the same place after the museum opening. Griff, however, already knew the location, which irritated Justin a little.

Earlier in the day, Jenn helped him pack. He didn't know if he needed shorts or pants. Did he need a jacket or a heavy winter coat? When Jenn said he had the right clothes packed, including some swim trunks, Justin dropped on the bed. "I am so glad you're here. I had such doubts about going away. I have so much to do on the commission yet and I have never been away from the kids this long and..."

Jenn wrapped her arms around her son, "Justin, I think deep down you know you need this. I know how important your art is to you, but you know your relationship with Brian is the most important thing in your life. He is always your inspiration."

Justin hugged his mom, "I don't know what I would have done without you on my side."

"You'll never have to find out."

 

Once the friends had all gone home, Justin and Brian said goodnight to Jenn and went to their room, falling into bed. "What time are we leaving in the morning?" Justin asked.

"We will leave as soon as the kids are on their way to school." Brian turned and draped an arm over Justin's torso. "Are you alright?" He rested his head against Justin's. "Keeping the secret didn't stress you out too much, did it?"

"A couple days ago, if I'm honest, it was stressing me out, but with Mom here for the kids and knowing we got everything moved to Denver, I think I am really ready to get away." He kissed Brian and added, "It better be a good time." 

"I will do whatever I have to, to get you to relax."

"I can think of a few ways that I can do that just fine." After a few more kisses, they both drifted off.

 

They arrived at the airport at 10:00 a.m. and as they walked to the terminal from the garage, Justin asked, "How long is our flight? Do we have a layover?"

"Do you want a long flight? Did you want to go out of the country?"

"I am sure I will be happy wherever we go. I guess I'm hoping we don't have to fly for too many hours."

"Then you will be happy to know we should arrive at our lodgings by 4:00 this afternoon." 

"Are we going to California?" Justin questioned as they walked into the airport...

"No. I hope Texas is alright. We are  going to San Antonio." Before he had a chance to respond they arrived at the self check in and soon they were on their way to the gate.

"Don't they have a section of town along a river?"

"We are actually staying right on the Riverwalk area. We don't have to worry about our meals. Breakfast and lunch foods will be available in the loft, and for our dinners we have a private chef part of the time and the other nights the chef has made reservations at some of the best local restaurants."

"Oh, Brian, that sounds wonderful."

They continued to talk as they boarded the plane and found their seats in first class. Brian pulled out his tablet and showed Justin a couple of downloads he had saved about locations near the loft they were staying in.

Once they were up in the air and Brian put the device away, Justin rested his head on Brian's shoulder and they both dozed until the attendant announced they were landing. They left the plane and went to pick up their rental car. Everything went smoothly and soon they were on their way to the Riverwalk area.  

 

Brian pulled into a parking spot that his GPS guided him to. They were in an alley that looked a bit sketchy. "Are you sure this is the right place? Terry suggested this place?" Justin asked as he got out of the car.

"I was warned about this. Look at the ends of the alley. There are gates. It is only open right now because we were arriving." As they stood there, the gates on both ends of the alley slid shut. "Now, let's grab our bags and head to the loft." There was a nondescript door near the car and Brian had a code to get them inside. They stepped through the door and were in a small elevator that took them automatically to the loft. When it stopped, the back wall of the elevator opened and they were hit by a flood of light. They stepped into a large room. The sun streamed in through a wall of windows. They both walked in and dropped their bags as they moved directly to see the view.

"Wow, it looks like we can see almost the whole city from here," Justin said.

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin from behind. "I would say we will be able to find something to do around here, but right now," he turned Justin around and kissed him. "May I make a suggestion of an activity right now?"

Justin started tugging Brian's shirt up, "If your suggestion includes getting naked." 

"Where the hell is the bedroom?" Brian said as Justin finished pulling the shirt off over his head. Justin took his hand and guided him to a short hall that had to be the right direction. 

Justin opened the door and they stepped into a spacious room with a large bed in the center of it. "Bingo!" he said as he reached for Brian's fly.

 

Two hours later, Brian and Justin sat on the sofa in the main room. They had taken a shower and now they were looking through a notebook that was filled with the list of foods available in the apartment as well as reservation plans for them and a list of places to check out. 

There was also a personal note from the chef, "Good day, gentlemen. I thought, being your first night you would enjoy eating at a little bistro for an early evening. You will not need your car, so enjoy some wine or bourbon. Your reservations are for 7:30. Cross the nearest bridge to the other side of the river and you will be at your destination. If you want to extend your evening, there is a great drag show just around the corner. Ask at the bistro for directions. Enjoy your evening and I will be in touch tomorrow, letting you know what time I will be in the apartment making dinner."

"I think a drag show would be fun," Justin said with excitement in his voice. 

"It's been a long time since we went to a club."

"Do you miss it? Family life and going out at night just doesn't work well," Justin commented.

"I wouldn't change our family life for anything. I don't think any of the kids would want to live anywhere else right now."

"I totally agree. The animals and having Elian and now Nova to play with, they are content. I guess I sometimes worry about Gus. He has had so much go on in his life. The shit with Mel and the kidnapping, not to mention Fiona moving to Ireland."

Brian stood and helped Justin stand up. "We better get moving. I need to comb my hair before we leave."

 

The bistro was just as the chef said. It had a relaxing feel with staff that was friendly but didn't hover. They made great suggestions from the menu and, when they asked about the drag show, the manager gave them free passes into the show. Once they had finished their meal, they strode, hand in hand toward the club nearby. "Are you enjoying the evening so far, Sunshine?"

"It is great. I can't wait to do some exploring. These shops look amazing."

"After a morning in bed, it will be a nice way to spend an afternoon," Brian stopped as they arrived at the club. He pulled Justin close and Justin put his arms around Brian's neck pulling him closer to deepen the kiss.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" a voice said from behind them.

Brian stiffened. He hadn't expected that they would have problems outside a club like this. They had never hidden their love, so he turned, hands clenched, ready for a fight if need be. 

"Down, pretty boy," said a beautiful drag queen in full regalia. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"I wasn't scared," Brian let his hands relax. "I was just going to..."

"Hello," Justin stepped in front of Brian. "Are you performing tonight?"

"I am. Sylvia Penn, at your service."

"We are heading into your show. I'm..."

"You are Justin Taylor, and your husband, who is beginning to relax, is Brian Kinney."

"How do you know who we are?" Brian stood straighter again.

"I don't expect you to remember me. I worked for your dad in his store. I actually attended your memorial," he said looking at Justin. "I was so shocked when it came out you were alive and your dad set it all up."

"You worked for my dad? He hired..."

"He hired a twenty year old that was so far in the closet that no light reached the back corners. Because I lost my job when your dad was sent away, I started a new life." Sylvia looked at her watch. "Shit, I have got to get in there." I will make sure you are seated at my private table and, if you don't mind, I'd like to join you on my break."

"Thank you. We would like to talk more," Justin said as Sylvia rushed into the building.

"Just tell them you're my guest," she said over her shoulder as she disappeared into the building.

 

They enjoyed the remainder of the evening. As they talked, Justin remembered Sylvia. In her everyday life her name was Silvio Rossi and used he/him pronouns. At the end of the evening they said goodnight and Brian and Justin walked back to their apartment. When they had reached their destination, they moved, hand in hand, to the bedroom. Piece by piece their clothes dropped to the floor. They were in no hurry. Their foreplay went on for an hour before they both dozed before making love.

Brian woke to the feel of Justin's mouth traveling down his body. Brian lay still while Justin woke up his entire body, one kiss, one flick of his tongue at a time. Moving from one part of his body to another, Justin soon was at his feet and began to slowly move up his inner legs until he neared his upper thighs. 

"Sunshine, please, God, I need you!" his voice came out in bursts as Justin gently blew on his cock. He reached down and tried to pull him up. 

By now Justin was desperate himself. He positioned himself on his knees on the bed and then dropped down onto his chest while Brian positioned himself behind him, entering him slowly, but he picked up motion and as the friction grew they both lost themselves to their passion.

After recovering their breath, they lay in bed and talked. "Remember how enamored Jessi was of Griff when he first arrived?" Justin said.

"I do. I have been thinking about the kids and how fast they are growing. Aaron was so young when we got Jessi."

"He was and he has always been a doting big brother. And Gus always looked over both of them."

Brian turned to face Justin, "Are you happy with our life, Justin? I know we have done a lot of moving. I often wonder if that is good for the kids."

"Our kids have everything they could ever want and I don't think you would find any family that is happier. I know we had some rough spots, but I don't think I would change any of it, even the bad. It has made us stronger." Justin kissed him and began getting up, "And I love you more today than ever before." He moved toward the shower. "But right now, I need a shower and, more importantly, sustenance."

 

As they ate brunch they talked about last night. The show was great. The performers had real talent and after Sylvia had finished her set, she joined them for a drink and conversations of old times in Pittsburgh. Sylvia had told them that Justin's coming out was what he needed to admit he was gay to his parents and he often wondered if they had accepted him because of Craig's bad behavior.

"I was surprised that because Craig treated me so badly, Silvio had an easier transition. That makes me feel like it was worth it all."

 

Each day was better than the last. Brian and Justin reconnected and drew strength from each other. They had enjoyed strolling along the water and browsing small shops, picking up gifts for everyone back home. They ate amazing meals prepared by the chef and also at the restaurants he had suggested. San Antonio had won their hearts.

As they packed to go back home, they were anxious to see their children. Talking to them daily just wasn't the same. They missed them, and Justin was ready to finish the most important project of his life thus far.