- Text Size +

 

February rolled into March. Both Justin and Griff worked on small projects that would be added to the main project but spent their evenings with their families. By mid March, Justin and Griff started spending time in Denver, and by the last week of the month, the two men moved into a residential hotel. Because the art piece included painting, sculpture, and other 3-D effects it wasn't as simple as just throwing something on the wall. Justin and Griff had put all the tasks down and tried to estimate how long it would take for each step. If things went as planned they would be able to go home on weekends.

As Griff and Justin left, followed by a van with the last pieces of the project in it, Brian watched them until they were out of sight. He turned and Terry saw the look on his face, "Brian, you look as if they are moving across the world. They will be back in five days."

"I hope you're right, but I know my Sunshine and now that they have gone, I predict they will make it back two times, maybe three. Griff may come back more often but I don't expect Justin to."

"Justin will come back," Terry tried to assure Brian.

"Terry, I know he doesn't love us any less. He is just in full creative mode right now. He forgets his life."

"Do you really think Griff will stay away?"

"I don't know. I have seen him get obsessed but he doesn't withdraw as much as Justin does. I am sure you could go down on weekends if he doesn't come home."

"So could you and the kids."

"I might take them in a couple weeks but,... I am just getting ready for a long, lonely couple of months. We'll be fine, then it will just take us a little while to get back into our normal rhythm, but we will. I am just feeling sorry for myself and the kids preemptively."

"We'll have each other," Terry said lightheartedly, putting his arm around Brian's shoulder.

"Let me warn you about one more thing. If Justin comes back don't say anything that might make him think that we might even..."

"Whoa, Brian, you didn't think I was serious, did you?"

"Of course not, but Justin can get very black and white in his thinking when all his creativity is absorbed by his work."

"Brian, I have to admit you are making me a little nervous."

"I'm sorry. Maybe I will be totally wrong about Justin."

"I doubt it. I have never known any couple that knows each other as well as you two do. At least it won't be a surprise."

 

Brian was right about Justin. Griff made it back every other weekend, and Terry and Elian went into the city to see him on the opposite weeks, but Justin was too busy. As predicted, he was absorbed 18 hours a day at the exhibit, and then, if he actually made it to the hotel, he crashed.

One Saturday afternoon when Justin had been in Denver for three weeks, Nova knocked on Brian's office door. "Mr. Brian?"

Brian said, "Come in?" He smiled at the little girl who had become Jessi's best friend. "What can I do for you?"

"Mr. Brian, Jessi is in her room and she's crying. I didn't do anything, really! She was crying when I walked in."

"I am absolutely sure you didn't, Nova." Brian stood. "Thank you for letting me know. You are a great friend. Let me go talk to her and when she is ready she will come find you."

"I'll be in the kitchen with Grandma. I will make Jessi a snack."

Brian walked over to the young girl and placed a hand on her shoulder, "I'm glad you're part of our tribe now and thank you for looking out for Jessi." He went to Jessi's room and knocked before letting himself in. He found his daughter curled up on her bed but was surprised to find Aaron with her. He had his arms around his sister comforting her but he was crying himself.

Brian had to blink back tears himself. He didn't have to ask what was wrong. He lifted Aaron onto one knee as he sat on the bed and then pulled Jessi up on his other knee, and wrapped his arms around them both.

Nothing was said for several moments as both of the kids melted into their dad. Jessi was the first to speak, "I miss Daddy so much my heart hurts. Doesn't he love us anymore?"

"Of course he loves us. He is just really busy in Denver," Aaron said firmly, but looked at Brian for reassurance, doubting his own words.

"You're right, Aaron. Of course your dad loves you and he loves me but when he has such an important piece to work on, he gets distracted."

Jessi's watery eyes looked up and met Brian's, as her lip quivered she said, "I'm important, too."

"Oh, of course you are, Sweetheart. What do you say we get up early in the morning and go visit him?"

"Can we?" Aaron asked hopefully.

"Of course we can. Now, your sweet friend, Nova, was making a snack for you and I am sure there will be plenty for you, too," he said to Aaron. Aaron extended his hand to Jessi and they walked out of the room.

Brian took out his phone and tried calling Justin, not expecting him to answer. Griff had been keeping Terry up to date and Terry filled him in. Brian hated bothering Griff and Terry, but he knew they were spending the day in Denver with Elian. It was a beautiful spring afternoon so he was sure they were out in nature somewhere. He called Griff's number and soon he heard Griff's voice.

"Hey, Brian, is everything alright?"

"Do you know where Justin is?" Brian snapped.

"I haven't seen him today. I left the exhibit yesterday about 4:00 to meet Ter and Elly at the hotel."

"I don't want you to go out of your way. When you get back to the hotel can you stick a note on his door and maybe put a copy under his door. We are driving down tomorrow and should be there about 10:00. If he doesn't see the note, we will track him down, no matter where he is." Brian's anger was coming through but then he took a deep breath, "Is he doing okay? I'm sure he isn't taking care of himself."

"I make sure he eats something at least once a day and I keep his water bottle filled. Brian, you know what he is like in situations like this."

"I do, but we have kids that it is affecting now," Brian snapped.

Now Terry's voice was on the line. "Brian, this isn't Griffin's fault. Don't take it out on him."

"Fuck! I know you're right, but I just had two of my kids sobbing and I really need to check on Gus. He left to ride Catori hours ago and I haven't seen him since. I think he is with Dusty so I'm not too concerned, but I am sure he has felt the effect, too. I'm sorry I snapped."

"Brian, we know you care. I will try to talk to Justin and let him know you are coming tomorrow."

"Apologize to Griff for me."

"I will," Terry said before disconnecting the phone.

Terry and Griff left a note on Justin's door and then went past the museum. Griff asked the security guard, who he recognized as one of the regulars. When he came back to the car, he told Terry, "The guard said he left about an hour ago. We could go back to the hotel and see if he  returned."

"Dads can we go to the pool?"

"That sounds perfect," Griff responded. "We can order a pizza and spend the evening swimming."

"Yeah!" Elian responded.

"I'll check Justin's room while you two decide on what kind of pizza to order."

"If he's there, invite him to join us," Griff suggested.

"I will." Terry moved down the hall and knocked on Justin's door. "Justin, are you in there?" He listened and heard nothing. He put his ear to the door and could hear nothing.  He texted  Brian and asked, ‘Do you have tracking on Justin's phone or car?'

‘Is he missing?' Brian replied.

Terry let him know, ‘Not missing. He had left the museum before we arrived. He is probably eating somewhere and having a drink.' While he sent the response, he received something from Brian, and soon he was looking at the address of a bar, just around the corner.

 

Terry stopped by their room and found out the pizza would be almost an hour. He let Griff and Elian know he needed to run an errand for Brian but would be back in time for pizza and to swim with them afterward. Then he left on foot and walked to the nearby bar. When he arrived he looked around the room. He didn't see him at first but then he saw him in a back booth by himself. He not only had a glass of something but a full bottle of an amber liquid sat in front of him. He watched him for a few minutes. He looked like Justin but his actions were someone else's. The normal smiling blond was now morose and withdrawn.

Terry approached his table and sat down. Without looking up, Justin said, "Not interested".

"Well, Brian will be glad you aren't looking to get picked up."

Justin's head jerked up. "Terry, what are you doing here?" His voice showed surprise but he gave him a little smile. "Brian sent you, didn't he?"

"Not really, but he is worried and he wanted you to know he and the kids will be here tomorrow morning around 10:00."

"I can't take the day off. I have too much to do. Time is flying and..."

"Justin, Jessi and Aaron were in tears today. They miss you. Brian misses you. He understands your work and your need to stay focused, but your kids don't."

"What about Gus? How is he doing?"

"He's staying away from the house as much as he can. He doesn't say much because he wants to think he understands you in work mode, but it is still hard for him at twelve."

"I just can never get it right when I do something like this. The project just changes me."

Terry looked at his watch. "I have to head back. A pizza is going to be delivered in a few minutes. Want to join us?"

"Thanks but no. I will finish this one," he raised his glass, "and then head back. Thanks for tracking me down."

Terry hugged him before slipping out of the booth. "You know he'll always love you. They all will always love you."

"I know, Terry. I really do know."

 

The next day Brian and his family arrived at 10:00 a.m. The first hour was spent in the living room with Justin and the kids and hugs and kisses and chatter. The moment something on TV caught all three  kids' attention, Justin pulled Brian into the bedroom and his arms went around Brian's neck. Brian pulled him close and they kissed. They savored the contact but before they let it go too far Brian stepped back. "I'm glad you could make time for us." He was happy to be with him but he was still a bit irritated. 

"I'm sorry," Justin said softly. "I just really need to be working. Once this project is done, I'll..."

"Justin, I understand, but they don't." He glanced at the door. "Today you are a father first. We better get out there so we can do something with them."

"Brian, I..."

Brian stopped him with a kiss before saying, "I don't want you to change. You are who you are and today you are their daddy." He took Justin's hand and opened the door to the main room.  Addressing the kids he said, "How does a trampoline park sound?"

A cheer went up from all three of the kids. "That sounds like a perfect way to spend the afternoon," Justin said, trying to sound excited.

 

Brian thought about the day as he drove back to the ranch. He thought about the day and the joy on the children's faces. He was sure part of the time Justin was having as good a time as the kids. He turned the radio on softly and hummed along with the song until he heard something from the seat behind. "Did you say something, Gus?"

"Ya, I slept for a few minutes but I woke up." There was silence for a moment and then Gus continued, "Is Daddy J doing alright? I could tell he had fun part of the time but most of the time he wasn't really with us. I don't think the others noticed, but I did."

"It has been a long while since your dad has had a huge project like this. Do you remember him working like this before?"

"Isn't that when Griff moved into the barn?"

"Yes, but part of that was my fault back then. Your dad just gets absorbed with his projects, but he will be finished in about six weeks and after that he will be back to normal."

"I know and I'm glad about that, but Dad, what if he becomes really famous from this? Will he get more and more and more jobs? What if the next one is far away?"

"Well, Gus, if that comes about, I promise we will talk about it. I don't think he would take on something this big again, or at least not for many years."

"I hope not. I don't like it when we aren't all together."

"Me neither, Gus."

"You miss him, don't you?"

"Damn straight, I do."

 

Soon it was April and then May. Justin had managed to come home for a long Easter weekend and everyone was thrilled to have him around, but he slept with the kids rather than Brian. He wanted to make love to him, but even more, he wanted to lay in his arms and talk for hours. He just wanted to spend time with him. As he lay there, he started planning a family vacation. He would invite Matt and Luke to come along. The first week would be for the family, while the other two men could have a private vacation, but then, the kids could go home with Matt and Luke and he and Justin would spend a few nights, just the two of them. As he lay in bed, he started looking for a location.

Terry and Griff had already planned a trip to the island when this was over. Terry had lined up an intern to take his place in the clinics for a couple months so they were going to spend time on their yacht, and on the compound. Elian would always have a connection down there and Terry and Griff wanted him to remember his past and ancestry.

 

The last week of the project, Justin, Griff, and now Matt, were spending sixteen hours a day at the exhibit. The large parts of the piece were now assembled. A warrior along with the bison  came out at you, as well as an eagle whose wings held him in flight. In the distance, in the mountains, was a city, merging the present with the past. Now they were working on minute details, like the fur on a mountain lion and the pine needles on the trees. The final work was breathtaking. With every additional detail more energy emanated from it.

Justin made it clear that no one was allowed in this exhibit other than the three of them. He promised to be finished by 5:00 p.m. Friday for a Sunday afternoon opening. The family, including Jenn and Kevin, would be there for dinner on Friday. And then, Brian and Justin would have dinner with all their friends and family before Jenn and Kevin took the kids to a suite at a nearby hotel and Brian and Justin would be alone. It would be the first time they would spend that much time alone since their trip to San Antonio. Brian had thought of little else for the last two weeks. 

Terry and Griff had a similar plan. Elian was going to stay with Jenn and Kevin at the big fancy suite as well. There was a private lap pool up on the roof for them to swim part of the day and with both grandparents there, they would find something fun to do.

By Thursday, Justin sent Matt and Griff to the hotel. He was not going to let them back into the exhibit. He had them help cover everything up with a huge tarp before they left, then Justin moved between the canvas and the work, to continue with a paint brush and a pallet. Justin kept working all night. About 10:00, when Matt and Griff realized he wasn't coming back to the hotel to sleep, they brought a burger and some fries and a soda with a mini whiskey. They didn't go beyond the exhibit door but Griff called in, "Justin, we brought you something to eat." No reply.  "Justin, Brian will be here in less than 24 hours and you'll need your energy." No reply. "Justin, answer me so I know you're still alive."

From within the room they heard, "Thanks, I'll grab it in a minute." Then they heard him add, "Get some rest, your husbands will be here tomorrow." His voice was almost playful.

"I think the boss is finally starting to relax," Matt said.

"Don't you let him hear you call him boss. That's not his style. He gave both of us a lot of credit and exposure."

"I know. I can't believe that because of this project, I won't be teaching next year. I'll be working for this museum in the restoration department."

"That is so great, especially since they will let you work from the ranch most of the time. Meeting the Taylor-Kinney's changes everyone's life."

"Who knew when the adorable Jessi wandered in my classroom, my whole life would change."

 

Justin stumbled out of the museum at noon on Friday. He really wished he could take off the canvas covering the piece so he could take one more look at it, but he would have to wait until Sunday for that. He walked toward the hotel and stopped for a large coffee and a croissant filled with a cinnamon sugar filling in the layers and a center of cream cheese. He sat by a table outside the coffee shop and soaked up the sun. He sipped his coffee and broke small pieces of the pastry and savored the buttery roll. He looked at the nearby mountain range and then let his eyes flutter shut.

Moments later he felt a shadow cross his face and jumped when a hand rested on his shoulder, "Mind if I join you?" The voice was low and husky. Justin's eyes fluttered open. "Hello, Sunshine," Brian said as he brushed his lips against Justin's upturned mouth."

"You're early," Justin said.

"Griff told Terry you would probably be done about now." They continued to just look into each other's eyes.  

"I was going to shower and nap. I must really stink."

Brian extended his hand and Justin took it as he stood. His arms went around him and inhaled his scent. "I love the way you smell."  

"Want to wash my back?" Justin asked.

"I want to wash a lot more than your back," Brian leered at him. "The car is right over here." 

Hand in hand they walked across the road. Brian opened the door for Justin and after he sat down, Brian leaned in and his lips lingered on Justin's mouth. As he raised his head he said, "I love you, Sunshine. I have missed you so much." Brian shut the door and moved around the car to get behind the wheel.

"Are the kids here?"

"They are with Dad and your mom at the new hotel. You haven't checked out of your hotel yet have you?"

"No, I told them I would pay for tonight, even though we wouldn't be staying."

"Good, because I don't want to share you until dinner. We should have about three hours before we need to shower and meet everyone for dinner."

They rode in silence the short distance to the hotel and, going in the side door, they went to his room and opened the door. As soon as the door was shut, Justin pushed Brian against the wall with such force they heard something crack. One of Justin's hands went behind his neck while the other slid down Brian's chest and then continued below his waist. Justin's tongue invaded Brian's mouth while his hand began to work frantically at his fly. 

As soon as Justin's fingers wrapped around Brian's phallus he nearly lost control. Brian moved forward, making Justin step back. They continued across the room and then, taking their time, they removed every piece of clothes and then the exploration of hands and mouths across each other's bodies began but soon their bodies screamed out for more. Brian positioned himself above Justin and using every ounce of control, they moved slowly as one. As their eyes locked, they both knew it was time. As Brian sank deep inside Justin, they both sighed as the world went back to center and all was right with their world.

An hour later, they lay on their sides, face to face. They had been talking for the last thirty minutes. Justin wanted to know everything he had missed in the last few months. "Brian, I am so sorry I act like this. I don't know what comes over me. I just..."

Brian rested a finger on Justin's lips, "I married you for who you are. This is a big part of you. Now, tell me about the commission. Did it turn out the way you expected it to?"

"Brian, you know I have had a few favorites, but this one... It took me somewhere else. I don't think I have ever felt like this about a piece before."

"I can't wait to see it. I know it is amazing." Brian kissed him and then said, "As much as I would prefer to stay here laying next to you, we need to shower. Our kids are very excited this project is over." 

As they stood under the stream of the shower, Justin asked, "When do we leave on vacation?"

"A week from today. Matt and Luke will come the first week and then they will take the kids back home and we will stay an extra few days for just us. We do have several weeks to make up for."

"So you are going to keep me in bed?"

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin, "I will admit I missed this gorgeous body of yours but, Sunshine, I missed you. I missed talking to you, laughing with you, seeing you play with our babies. God, I love you."

"Oh, Brian, I have missed you, too. I just hadn't taken time to realize how much."

 

Justin and Brian walked into the restaurant and Brian guided him to the back of the room and down a hall. "Where are we going? Right out the back door?"

Brian stopped and, without saying a word, opened a door. A shout went up. All the residents of the ranch, along with their parents and a few other members of the museum staff applauded as Justin entered. The evening was full of wonderful food and wonderful company. As people mingled and helped themselves to food, Brian watched Justin come alive. He worked the room, catching up with all their family and friends. One of the kids was at his side all the time and Justin gave them as much attention as he did the adults around them. At one point he handed Brian his plate of half eaten food, kissed his cheek, and walked away to sit on the floor with Jessi and Nova.

Kevin walked up and draped an arm around his son, Brian said, "He's beautiful, isn't he?"

"Yes, Brian, he is very handsome, but you have known that since the day you met."

"You're right, but now I see the beauty from deep inside. Look at him with the kids."

"Brian, every time I see him with you, I see the beauty you have created. I don't know if I can think of anyone who has the depth of a relationship you two have. Some come close, but you two just have something special."

"Thanks, Dad. Thanks for coming for the weekend. Since we are leaving it was a long trip for a couple days."

"Justin is my son, as much as you are. I would not have missed this for anything. I have to admit, I have read about this exhibit and although no one has seen it, everyone is anxious to see it."

"I am anxious, too. I saw all the sketches and now it is all real." Brian moved toward Justin without addressing his father and walked over to Justin. Music had begun to play softly and after assisting Justin off the floor, he took him in his arms. Soon, more of the group were dancing and Brian and Justin were dancing with the two little girls rather than each other.

Then Jenn stepped in and her son took her into his arms. "I wish Molly could have come," he said as he kissed her cheek. "Don't get me wrong, I understand it is a long trip for one day."

"She really wanted to be here, but Daniel has a trip to take for James, so Jaylen is staying with his other grandma and Molly and Daniel are spending a few days in Atlanta after a couple days of work."

"I'm glad they get to do that."

"Your trip sounds great, too."

"I can't wait. I'll have time with the kids and then time with Brian. Did he get more gorgeous the last couple months?"

"He is pretty special." Jenn kissed Justin and turned so she could step out and Brian could replace her. She kissed Brian's cheek and walked away.

The music was soft and Justin's arms went around Brian's neck as he rested his head on his collarbone. Brian's arms went around him and the world disappeared for both of them. Justin sang quietly as Brian kissed the top of his head, his temple, his cheek, and eventually brushed Justin's lips with his own. Justin pulled Brian closer and deepened the intensity. They forgot the world around them until they both felt a tug on their button down shirts.

"Dads, I hate to disturb you, but everyone is watching," a very polite Aaron said.

Brian and Justin both smiled at him and looked around the room, not sure what to say. To their surprise, Griff stepped forward, "I...," he stumbled on his words, and Terry stepped up and put an arm around him, and then he continued. "I just want to tell all of you that this is the most amazing project I have seen and I am so proud I got to be a part of it. Thanks, Justin, for letting me be a part of it." 

Justin walked over to him and kissed him, "Remember I couldn't have done it without you. And Matt was the final link so we could finish the project the way we designed it."

There was a little applause and many hugs and goodbyes. Kevin and Justin rounded up the kids and left for the hotel. After a majority of the guests had left or were moving toward the door, Emma came up to Brian and Justin and said, "You two take off."

"I need to take care of the bill first," Brian said.

"We will take care of it. I have a ranch card." 

Joshua walked up with Nova asleep in his arms. "Go on. You know better than to argue with her."

Brian leaned forward and kissed Emma and then pressed his lips on Nova's cheek. "Thank you." Justin hugged Emma and they left for the short walk to their hotel.

It was a quiet walk back and once they were in their room they took a long bath. They didn't need to talk. All they needed was to feel the heat of their bodies mingling. "Brian, will you come with me at noon tomorrow?"

"Of course I will. I am at your service the rest of my life."

"I love you."

"And I love you."

 

The next day at noon, Justin and Brian arrived at the museum. A reporter from a major TV show was going to interview Justin for about thirty minutes and Griff and Matt would be there around 1:00 to answer a few questions for the show, too. The exhibit opened at 1:30 and at 2:00 the unveiling occurred. When everything calmed down, he had to give the reporter a few more minutes and then he would endure the afternoon with Brian by his side and then go home with his family. He sighed loudly.

"Are you alright, Sunshine?"

"I was just thinking about the rest of today and am glad you are here with me and that I get to go home with you."

"That is definitely the best part of this, although I can't wait to see the commission." Justin kissed Brian and then heard some movement behind him.

"Mr. Taylor, excuse me." The host of the TV show was standing next to him.

Brian took a step back from Justin as he turned to look at the gentleman. "I was going to tell you we needed you in makeup, but I can tell that will take no time at all. Mr. Kinney, we could use you in the..."

"No, this is Justin's day." He then added, "You're right. He doesn't need makeup, except for the tip of his nose." Brian kissed his nose and walked away.

The interview focused on the project as Justin had agreed on. His family was off limits, although he did provide them with a couple family shots. The host was professional and by the time Matt and Griff arrived, they were ready for them to join in the conversation. 

Brian had been in view of Justin the whole time. As the interview wrapped up, more and more people began to arrive. Local celebrities were there and all their friends and family. Just before 2:00 the governor arrived with his wife, along with other leaders of the state, and then it was time for the main event.

The museum director spoke about Justin and what they had asked from him. Then the governor came up and the countdown began. 3, 2, 1... and the cord was pulled. The two story canvas wrap came crashing to the floor and a hush fell over the room. Even the children stood in silence, not knowing where to look first.

Justin stood with Brian on one side and his mom on the other. Gus stood by Kevin and Aaron, and Jessi stood in front of their dads. 

After a moment, the murmuring began. Jessi turned around and Justin picked her up. She whispered, "Daddy, it is amaaazzzzzinng."

"Thank you, Sweetie." 

And then the murmur exploded into applause and the crowd began to move toward the piece so they could look at the details. The conversations went from the huge buffalo that stepped out of the image ten feet while an eagle soared above them. Others looked at the city in the mountains and recognized the local high rises. Everyone in attendance was enthralled with it. Early in the day, Justin heard some of the audience commenting on the use of a Comanche chief, but as the group read the brochure or the story posted in the exhibit, the negative talk quieted.

By 5:00, when Justin was free to go, he couldn't wait to get home. He didn't want to spend another night in a hotel. Both Kevin and Jenn said goodbye to the family at the museum. They were both flying out later that night, promising to come back sometime that summer for a longer visit.

With the kids in the backseats, they all took turns telling Justin about things he had missed in the last few weeks. By the time they neared the ranch, the car was quieter. As they walked into the house, the smell of food wafted in the air. Joshua and Emma had left early along with their family so she had a light dinner ready for them. It was nearly 9:00 when they finished eating, and after Justin spent some one on one time with all three of his children, he went to find Brian already in their room.

"You look tired, Sunshine. Lay down and I will give you a massage."

"I can barely keep my eyes open now. The adrenaline has crashed, along with me."

Brian undid Justin's buckle and unbuttoned his shirt. Justin undressed and handed his clothes to Brian, who hung them over a chair, and then Justin lay down on his stomach with just his briefs on. As Brian quickly undressed, he noticed Justin was already sleeping. He covered him up and got into bed next to him. Life was in balance again.

 

"Daddy, do I need to bring any pants? I have shorts and dresses packed," Jessi asked Justin.

"Let's take one pair along. I know it is warm in Mexico, but if we go to the beach at night, you could get chilly."

Brian and Justin had helped all their children pack and had packed for themselves. They were heading to an all inclusive resort that was especially for families. As much as they loved the mountains, they were ready to spend some time at the beach.

At the end of the week, they got into two vehicles and left for the airport. Luke and Matt were in one of the cars, along with Jessi. They were excited to go along with the family on their trip.  They had a bungalow of their own for a week, and then they would take the kids home, letting Brian and Justin have a few days alone.  

Terry and Griff were leaving with Elian the next day, so that would also give Joshua, Emma, and Nova to have some family time as well. Dusty and Willow were planning a wedding for that fall so this would be a good time for them to get arrangements started.

 

As they waited for the plane to take off, Justin sat with Aaron while Brian sat with the other two a couple rows ahead. After they had gotten to cruising altitude, Aaron looked up from the book he had been reading and said, "Dad, your painting was really good. I didn't know anyone could make something like that and now I know my dad can."

"Wow, Aaron. Thank you."

"I think I might like to be an artist but I also want to be a veterinarian."

"Well, you know you could be a vet and do art as a hobby."

"What would you want me to be when I grow up, Dad?"

Justin took a moment. He saw Brian watching a movie with Gus and Jessi. Brian kissed Jessi's head as he watched and then heard all three of them laugh softly. He looked at Aaron and said, "Happy. I hope you find what makes you happy. I know I did." Justin hugged him tightly. As the attendant came on the loudspeaker giving them directions for landing, Justin looked at his son and said, "Love you."

Aaron smiled up at his dad and said, "That makes me very happy."

The End

 

I used AI to create the image.  I really wanted it to have a more realistic bison 

and warrior but this is what I could manage.

 

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Legacy 7 - Spirit Pass: The Legacy of Past and Future also liked 234 other stories.