- Text Size +

 

"Gus, I'm trying, but I keep forgetting your horse's full name." Jessi asked as she tentatively walked up to the bigger animal. All of their new steeds were getting much more comfortable with the children. They had all been on them and led around, and Gus was feeling comfortable riding now, even if it was only in the corral so far.

"Her name is Catori but if you want to call her Cat, we don't mind." Gus smiled at his little sister. Both Brian and Justin had noticed Gus was much more relaxed here. He didn't get as frustrated with his younger siblings now that he had room to get away out on the ranch. "Have you figured out a name yet?"

"I think I did. Did you see how puffy his hair was yesterday when I brushed him?"

"I did. That's because he is a Shetland pony. They have a thicker coat. So what is his name?"

"Coco Puff." Gus smiled. "Have you told our dads or Dusty yet?"

"Nope, I just decided a minute ago. Don't tell anyone. I want to tell everyone at dinner."

"I won't say a word. Now, I'm going to find Dusty so you need to go back to the house."

"Why can't I stay here with the horses?"

"Those aren't my rules. Maybe Emma will bake cookies."

Gus walked Jessi to the house but didn't go in. He got on one of the carts he was now allowed to drive and he started looking for Dusty's pickup.

Jessi walked into the house and it was now routine to wash her hands before entering the kitchen. She then ran over and hugged her new friend. "Miss Emma, can we bake cookies?"

"Hello, wee one. I am making pie dough right now. How about you make a pie with me and I promise, tomorrow we will bake cookies. It is supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon so it is the perfect day for a baking party."

"I don't know how to make pie, but I like to eat it. What kind are we making?"

"I was thinking about rhubarb and apple."

"I like apple pie. What is rubber pie? That doesn't sound very good."

Emma hugged her tight with a smile on her face. "Rhubarb, not rubber. It doesn't grow everywhere. It looks a little bit like celery but it doesn't taste like it and it can be a green or red color."

"Can I taste some?" She pointed at the stalk she now knew was rhubarb.

"You may, but it is very sour. Why don't you dip it in this sugar and then take a small bite."

Jessi dipped the stalk into a small dish of sugar  and then took a small nibble and shivered. Her face puckered up as she chewed. "That is sour!"

"So you didn't like it?"

"I don't know. I think I would like it in a pie with the yummy stuff added."

"Everyone can try the rhubarb if they want. My men like it and I think almost everyone likes apple."

"We do."

 

When Justin walked in after working in his studio, he found Jessi and Emma had just put tops on two pies and now Jessi was rolling out some dough scraps. He walked over and wrapped his arms around Jessi making her giggle. "Daddy, I'm busy. I am making pie dough cookies."

"You are? What is a pie dough cookie?"

"I'm not sure yet. Miss Emma is teaching me."

"And she is doing a great job. Look at these pies." Emma popped them in the oven and shut the door to the oven.

"Miss Emma, is this good?" Jessi asked as she set the rolling pin aside.  

"That looks perfect. Now comes the fun part. Ready to get your fingers dirty?" Jessi looked at her quizzically. Emma dropped a blob of butter in the center of the dough. "Spread that all over with your fingers. 

Justin reached around to help but Jessi stopped him. "Daddy, you didn't wash your hands." 

"You're right."

"Justin, you can help with this," Emma said, handing him a cup with brown sugar and cinnamon mixed together. "If you can sprinkle this on top, Jessi girl, you can spread it out evenly." They both followed Emma's instructions. "And now, I will do this next step and next time you will know how to do it."

In a matter of seconds, she had the dough rolled like mini cinnamon rolls and then cut the roll into pieces about an inch thick. Jessi helped her place the little rolls onto a cookie sheet and Emma placed them in the second oven. She set the timer for 12 minutes and started cleaning up the counter.

"Oh, Daddy, I have a name for my pony!"

"What are you calling him?"

"I will tell everyone tonight when we are eating our pie." Without taking a breath, she said, "Do you like rhubarb?"

"Rhubarb? Wow, it has been a long time since I have had that."

"Well, I actually made two types of rhubarb pie. One is a cream pie with meringue and the other is made with a double crust. Hopefully you will like it."

"And she made apple because everyone likes apple," Jessi said with authority. 

"Jessi, why don't we give Emma some space. Have you seen your other daddy and Aaron?"

"No, but Gus is with Dusty. He is driving the cart."

Justin stiffened a bit. He wasn't sure he liked their son driving that thing, but Joshua said by the time he was Gus' age he was driving a pickup, and the cart didn't go fast enough to be too concerned. 

"Thank you, Miss Emma. I had fun."

"So did I and tomorrow we will make cookies."

Jessi clapped her hands, "Chocolate chip?"

"We will make a couple kinds, and chocolate chip will definitely be one kind." 

Justin looked at the door, "I hear a car. Let's see if it's Aaron and Brian."

They walked out hand in hand and as Brian got out of the SUV, Jessi called, "Hi Aaron. Hi Brian." Jessi thought she was funny.

"Brian is it?" Brian said as he swung her up into the air and then pulled her against him and kissed the tip of her nose.

"Aaron, I made pie cookies. Do you want to taste one? I am sure we can have one before dinner."

"Sure. I could use a snack." As they walked away, Brian and Justin heard Aaron telling her about the trip into town.

Justin stepped into his arms and kissed him. Brian's arms tightened around him and held him close. Justin dropped his head on Brian's chest and said, "So how was the town?"

"Everything went well. I put an ad online for an office worker. Once Terry is here, we will want someone to help keep our business organized, and with Terry flying out frequently for medical appointments, we just need an assistant."

Justin pressed his pelvis against Brian's. "Suppose we have enough time to..." He rubbed back and forth.

"We will make time." Brian pulled Justin around to the back of the house and they jogged to the French door into their room. They didn't bother to totally undress. Their hands went up shirts and down pants as they both needed to feel the heat of skin. Their lips sometimes barely touched and other times they crushed each other. 

Justin was panting as Brian feasted on his neck but said, "We... don't... have... a lot... of time."

"Damn. I know, you're right," Brian said as he began to undo his fly while Justin did the same. Brian guided him to the four poster bed and Justin positioned himself over the foot board and moments later they were in sync and Justin was arching backward so he could kiss Brian while they were one.

 

"Aaron, where did our dads go? They never came in." Jessi stood at the door and looked out.

Aaron walked over to look out and saw something in the distance. "Is that Gus? He is going too fast." 

Emma walked to the door just as Gus stopped on the driveway. "Emma," Gus said loudly, "Where is Joshua? I need Joshua."

"What is it, Gus? Take a deep breath and then you can tell me."

"It's Dusty. He is... he asked me to get his dad. He can't seem to move but he didn't get hurt."

"Where is he?" Emma tried to keep her voice calm. "Joshua isn't around."

"He was near old Gus, by the hay bales."

"Gus, your fathers are in their bedroom. Tell Brian where I am and tell Justin to watch the food in the oven." And then she was on the cart Gus had just driven up on.

"Aaron and Jessi, stay here." Gus ran to the other side of the house and rushed into his dads' room. "Dads! Something's wrong with Dusty." If Gus had rushed in five minutes earlier he would have seen more than he wanted, but Brian and Justin were just zipping up their pants. 

Brian rushed over to Gus and put his hands on his shoulders, "What's wrong?"

"Emma said I should bring you back to where he is, and Dad," Gus said as he turned to Justin, "Emma wants you to check the food. Come on, Dad." He turned to Brian, "We need to go. Oh, Jessi and Aaron are in the kitchen." Gus grabbed Brian's hand and pulled him out the door Justin and Brian and used to slip in.

Justin rushed to the kitchen where he found Aaron standing with his arm around Jessi looking out the door as Brian and Gus pulled out. He dropped to one knee and put his arm around both of them. "Did Gus tell you what was wrong?"

"No. He just said Dusty needed help." Aaron and Jessi turned back into the house. Aaron took Jessi's hand and said, "Let's go play with KC and JC."

"Can we watch a movie, too?" Jessi asked

"Sure," he said as he led her into the enclosure.

Justin smiled as they walked away, but as he walked to check on the food on the stove he glanced out the door and worried about what was going on.

 

Brian and Gus pulled up to the cart and both Gus and Brian ran to Emma and Dusty. Dusty was now sitting up leaning against a bale of hay, drinking juice. "What can I do, Emma?  What is it?"

"Dusty is diabetic. He was so busy today, he didn't take care of himself. He always has juice and snacks with him. Gus, please go to his truck and open the glove compartment. You will find different snacks there. Just grab a couple more."

As soon as Gus was out of earshot, Emma continued, "When his insulin drops he often has a panic attack."

Brian took Dusty's hand, "Are you feeling better now?"

"I'm getting there. I know better. It was my own fault." Dusty finished the juice as Gus ran up with a plastic bag filled with snacks and handed it to him.

"I didn't know what you wanted," Gus asked. He still had a terrified look on his face.

"Gus, you did a great job. You did exactly what needed to be done." Emma wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheek. "Sorry, I shouldn't kiss you without asking, but I know your family are kissers. You saved his life, and it is our fault we didn't tell you ahead of time. When Dusty is feeling better he can explain everything to you."

"Thanks, Gus," Dusty held out his fist and Gus bumped it.

While Emma checked Dusty's blood sugar level and asked him a couple questions, Brian messaged Justin saying, ‘All is good. Back soon'. He knew Justin would be on edge.

Justin messaged back immediately, ‘Thank God'.

Brian helped steady Dusty, and Emma walked with them back to Brian's vehicle. Brian looked at Gus, "Son, will you drive the cart back to the house?"

"Sure, Dad." Brian noticed a little shake in Gus' voice and walked over to hug him.  

Gus hugged him back. Brian kissed the top of his head and said softly, "You did good. I'm proud of you." As Gus drove the cart away Brian realized how fast he was growing. He wouldn't be a boy for long.

Emma sat next to her son in the back and Brian drove them back, following Gus. He was the first one in the kitchen and, to Justin's surprise, Gus came over and put his arms around him. Justin knew he would hear the story, but right now, his son needed a hug. He always had time for his kids.

 

Ten minutes later Dusty was sitting in a comfortable chair with Jessi on his lap while Gus and Brian were out doing a couple chores Dusty didn't get done, and Justin helped Emma finish dinner. Justin slipped an arm around Emma's waist and softly said, "Are you alright?"

"I am Justin. Thank you. It has happened before, but it has been a long time since it was a bad one. He usually catches it before it gets to that point. We hope he will get the monitor soon. You can imagine he isn't fond of doctors. He was poked and prodded a lot. Maybe when your friend moves here he will be able to get him started on that."

"I am sure Terry will help in any way he can." 

Gus and Brian returned and washed up and then Emma called everyone to the table. "Aren't we waiting for Joshua?" Brian asked.

Emma responded, "He is on the property. He will be here shortly. Dusty needs a real meal."

Everyone was just sitting down at the table when Joshua arrived. He walked straight over to Dusty and said something softly to him before giving him a pat on his shoulder and then he hugged Emma tightly before sitting down next to her.

Conversation was lively as they ate. Joshua told Brian and Justin about his trip to a nearby town where he sells some of the livestock. Brian assured him that he could make decisions on whether it was a good deal or if they should hold on for another few weeks.

"Daddies, do we need to talk about business? I want to tell you what I named my pony!"

"Oh, Jessi, I can't wait to hear it." Dusty reached over and squeezed her hand. "I have been wondering what to call him.

Joshua smiled at the precocious little girl, "I'm sorry. We should not be talking business at the table. What name did you choose, Jessi?" 

"Well, we have Cat. That is easier for me to say than Cato..." At the same time Aaron and Gus said Catori. "Ya, Catori. And Aaron's pony is Cookie, so I decided to name him Coco."

"That's a great name," Dusty said, smiling at her. "I am sure he will love it and he is a smart pony. If you start calling him Coco all the time, he will soon come when you call. I think tomorrow your horses will go out into the side corral and once we know they feel at home with their names, we can put them out in the big pasture. Once they come running when you call them, they can have a lot more room. We will have to go and get them sometimes anyway because they have minds of their own, but they already love you so they will want to be with you." Dusty continued, "Gus, if you're done eating, how about coming out to my truck with me and I will tell you about my diabetes and show you how you can help if I need it."

Gus nearly knocked his chair over as he stood up. "Sure, Dusty."

"Dusty, can I go talk to Coco when you are done?"

"Jess, Dusty might not be up to..." Justin started to say, but Dusty held up his hand.

"I'm fine, Justin. I'm glad the chores are done, thanks to Brian and Gus, but I need to bring the horses in anyway. Aaron, I know you can tell time. In ten minutes you and Jessi can come out and we will go see Catori, Cookie, and Coco."

"Dusty, I can help you, too. Can I come out now?" Aaron asked.

"Aaron, I know you would be a great help, too," He looked at Jessi, "And you, too. And before the end of the week I'll show the two of you how to help, too. Ten minutes, Aaron."

Dusty walked out the door with Gus. He put his hand on Gus' shoulder, "Thanks, again. You didn't panic at all, even when I couldn't talk. How old are you?" 

"I'm almost twelve. Did I really do good?"

"Yes, you did." Dusty went over what Gus should do if this ever happened again. "And, this doesn't happen very often. There are times I might ask you to get me a snack if I feel a little off or ask you to get my monitor. You know where all that is now, right?"

"I do, and all you have to do is ask." Gus smiled at Dusty, "Here come the kids," he said, pointing toward the door.

"Let's go check on those ponies and get the horses in the barn." Gus took Jessi's hand while Dusty draped his arm around Aaron's shoulders and the four walked toward the barn.

 

"I take it Emma explained Dusty's condition?" Joshua asked as the men sat outside on the terrace.

"Yes. Has he been diabetic since birth?"

"He was about five when we discovered it. He was poked and prodded so many times before they figured it out. Since then he hates doctors, and that's when the anxiety set in. Dusty rarely leaves the ranch. He will go into town and pick up something for me as long as it is ready." Joshua took a sip of the coffee he was holding. "Dusty is a good ranch hand. I hope his condition..."

Justin raised his hand and said, "Of course his condition makes no difference. I've had periods in my life where I wasn't the most stable person. I blame it on my artistic side, but I will get into a mood and..."

Brian put an arm around him and kissed his temple, "And I probably pushed him to it but what we are trying to say is, we all have our days."

"You are very right. Being raised on a reservation, mental health wasn't addressed directly, but those that had issues usually had it addressed through the supernatural. That has changed over the years, but spirituality will always be part of the tradition. The Great Spirit guides us. My parents raised me with all the beliefs, and I still find strength in it."

"I would love to hear about it sometime, and I am sure the kids would, too," Justin commented.    

"What would you think about doing an overnight camping trip? There is a place I am sure the kids would love."

"Um, camping?" Brian asked. "We love this nature, but we kind of like what's behind us." He glanced behind them at the house.

"I know it isn't anything like this place, but there is a cabin there and it may not have normal plumbing but there is a bathroom that works. Oh, and no wifi, but you can get on your phone in the area."

"Electricity?" Brian asked.

"There is a generator, but unless it is storming and we can't be outside, I don't like to use it except for the fridge."

"I think we could manage that for a couple days." Justin smiled and kissed Brian.             

"There will be some tents, too, so the kids can choose." Joshua continued telling them about the camping site as the sun set and the stars came out.

 

The kids brought their animals in while Dusty called the other horses in. While he fed the horses, Aaron fed both ponies while Gus fed the paint. Jessi groomed Coco as he ate and kept using his name so he got used to the sound of it. Dusty stood at the door and watched the interaction as all three of them took care of their new friends. Aaron saw him there and pointed at the open stall across from them. "What goes in those stalls?"

"We haven't ever had animals there permanently. It could be kind of fun to get a couple miniature cows or pygmy goats."

"Oh, that would be so much fun. Do you think your dad would let us?" Jessi asked, walking over and hugging Dusty's arm.

"That would be up to your dads."

"I think we will need a pony for Elian when he gets here, too." Aaron said. "I know it will still be two months before he comes."

"I will make sure Dad keeps an eye out for a pony for sale." Dusty glanced outside. "It is time to go back to the house. The sun has disappeared."              

 

Justin and Brian heard the kids coming so they walked down to meet them so Dusty didn't have to walk all the way back and Joshua went into the house to see if his wife was ready to call it a night.

"Daddies!" Jessi came running up and into Brian's arms. He swooped her up and put her on his hip.

"How was Coco? Does he like his new name?"

"I think so."

Aaron moved next to Justin, "Don't you think we will need to get a pony for Elian before he gets here?"

"I agree, Aaron. I will ask Griff if it is alright and we will make sure we find one for him. 

Jessi had her arms around Brian's neck and kissed his cheek and he braced himself for what she was planning to say next. "Daddy, can we get a mini cow? They are so cute and they don't get big. There is a place for them right by the ponies."

Brian looked at Justin, "I think that is something we will have to talk over with Joshua."

"Pleeeeease, Daddies." Jessi kissed Brian again. The look on Brian's face told Jessi the conversation was done for now, so she laid her head on his shoulder and he kissed her forehead. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you, too, Jessi."

"So is everyone ready for baths or showers?" Justin asked and all the kids said they were. 

 

By 9:00 pm, the younger two had cleaned up, and after some reading time with their dads they were both asleep in their rooms, Aaron with a cat on either side of him.

Gus was in his bed with his tablet, checking out more information about nature in the area. "I'll look up mini cows and send you some links."

Justin took Brian's hand as they walked down the stairs. They separated long enough to make sure all the doors were locked and then met up again at the entrance to their wing. They entered the bedroom just as Justin got a text. "It's Gus, he sent me a link to Highland Mini Cows and says he is going to sleep now."

‘Goodnight, We love you' Justin texted back. "Are you as tired as I am tonight?"

Brian opened the door to their room and draped his arm around Justin and then pulled him close and kissed him. "It has been an eventful day. I was thinking about the hot tub, but maybe the bathroom tub would be even better."

"I totally agree with that." He tugged Brian's shirt off and then his own. Soon Brian stepped into the tub and Justin followed, sitting down and leaning back against his chest. Brian's arms went around him and kissed the curve of his neck.

"There has been a lot going on. How soon before we own miniature cows?" Brian asked as he  moved up and down Justin's chest with a wet washcloth.

"They are adorable," Justin sighed as Brian dropped the cloth and began to move his hand over his skin. "I'm glad Dusty is alright and that now we know about it. I was so proud of Gus."

"Me too. He is growing up so fast, and I think he likes having Dusty as a big brother here on the grounds. What do you think about a camping trip?"

"I think I need to see it before I agree. You aren't any more excited about it then I am?"

"But the kids would love it and I am sure they would be enthralled with what Joshua told them about the Great Spirit. I have to admit I want to hear it."

"I know I have said this before but I love living here, although I have to admit I am excited for Griff to get here. I have lots of ideas coming to me and you know he is my art sounding board, like you are for the rest of my life." The feel of Brian's hand was lulling him into sleep.

"What would you say about the two of us getting away for a day? I was thinking about going into Denver. We can make sure Emma is alright with it and it would only be a day. We could be back in time for bed."

"Oh Brian, that sounds perfect." He pulled out the sprayer on the side of the tub and washed his hair and then helped Brian finish washing. 

By the time they got out of the tub they were both half asleep and relaxed. Once they were dried off and they had combed their hair, they both pulled on shorts and fell into bed. They laid in each other's arms kissing, but not needing more. They softly talked about some things they might do in Denver.

"Did you see that lightning?" Justin asked, half asleep.

"Are you sure?" Brian said, pulling Justin tightly against him just as the whole house shook as thunder crashed overhead.

"Do we go up to them or do we let them come down to us?"

"Let them come here. I don't want you in another room tonight." As they kissed again, a small voice came through the door, "Dads, the kids are scared so I brought them down." Gus' voice came through the door.

"Come on in, guys." Justin said and kissed Brian once more. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you, too, Dad."