- Text Size +

 

Gus woke up. It was still dark outside. He wasn't sure what woke him at first but then he realized he heard an alarm going off somewhere. He opened his door and nearly smashed directly into Brian. "Dad, what is going on?"

"The alarm went off. It is more than likely a wandering deer or a lost bear, but we wanted to check on the three of you." Justin came out of Jessi's room carrying her. "Let's all go into Aaron's room. That way no one is alone."

Once Gus and Jessi were tucked into Aaron's big bed, Justin whispered something to Brian and left the room. "Where is Dad going?" Gus asked softly, not wanting his siblings to wake up.

"He is just checking with Joshua. He will know which camera was triggered and will have spotted that raccoon."

"Or bear, or deer." Gus mouthed before Brian could. 

"Gus, tell me how you're feeling."

"Dad, do you mind if I don't? I'm really not sure how I feel and, face it, Daddy J. is much better at this stuff. I'm a little scared, but I know Joshua and the other men are doing everything they can. I think I can sleep. Are you staying here?"

"I'll be here until the sun comes up." Brian kissed Gus' forehead and moved to the overstuffed chair next to the bed. He looked at the bed full of his children and his heart nearly exploded with emotion. If anything happened to any of them... Brian closed his eyes. He would just rest them until Justin got back.

 

Justin found Joshua in the ranch office. Without turning around Joshua said, "It wasn't an animal. It was a man. He triggered the camera at the north gate. It appeared he knew the layout of the ranch. What he didn't expect was our extra patrols. I can see where the guard is spotted and where the intruder retraced his steps. The patrol did see a vehicle leave, but they were too far away to see much. I will check all the footage in the morning and see if any of the cameras caught any detail."

"Thanks, Joshua. I am sure this is a little more excitement than you planned for when we moved in."

"When the Andrews spent time here, years ago, when Terry was just a boy and I was about Dusty's age, we had a full security team. My father was in charge then and he had been well trained. Not only was he a code talker in World War II but he had been fully trained as a tracker by the tribe. He taught me the old ways and I learned it from him. We don't expect them to come back tonight. They will regroup and figure out how to get around the extra men."

"Yes, I'm sure you're right, but the fact they have already come on our property means they will try something soon." Justin went silent for a minute. "I am going to go fill Brian in. We will be up with the kids tonight."

"Understood," Joshua responded. "I plan to get a couple hours of sleep now myself." They walked out of the office and went their own ways. 

 

Justin smiled when he silently entered Aaron's room. Their children lay in the bed. Jessi lay between her brothers and the boys had joined hands at some point. And then he looked at Brian. His body, not quite as lean as when they met, still made him catch his breath. There was no place he would rather be than in bed with that body wrapped around him. He moved over to the chair and slid into the chair next to him. Brian turned toward him and pulled him close.

"What did you find out?" Brian asked as he kissed Justin so gently he wasn't sure they really had actually touched lips.

Justin brought his mouth to Brian's ear and said, "It was a man. He left when he saw extra patrol out and about. Let's sleep now and we can talk in the morning."

This time there was no doubt that their lips were pressed tightly together and as their tongues began to dance, they both pressed even tighter together. When they finally separated Justin laid his head on Brian's chest. "Sunshine, I think Gus will want to talk to you. He knows you're the one to talk about feelings like that."

"I'll get some time with him alone tomorrow." With that, Justin's hand slid under the hem of Brian's t-shirt so he could feel the warm flesh under his palm. "Love you, Bri."

"Love you, too." Brian pulled Justin closer and they both fell asleep. 

 

"Should we wake them up?" Jessi's loud whisper penetrated Justin's sleep. "Daddies, the sun is up. Gus is getting dressed."

Justin, after peeking out from under his lashes, reached out and snagged their daughter around the waist, causing her to squeal. "Damn, girl, you can be loud," Brian grumbled and winked at her.

Jessi threw herself over both of them and kissed each of them. "Dads, breakfast is almost ready," Aaron said from the bathroom.

"Well then, we better go get dressed." Justin set her on her feet and stood. "Go get yourself dressed and tell Emma we will be there in a bit. We both need a shower."

"Just a shower, Dads. I'm sure Joshua wants to talk to all of us," Aaron called as they walked out the door.

Gus' door opened as they walked past. "Jessi woke you up, didn't she?"

"It's ok," Justin said as he hugged him. "We are going to grab a shower. You alright this morning?"

"Ya, I'm fine."

"How about you and I take a cart ride after breakfast. We are going to stay near the buildings, but at least we can get some fresh mountain air."

"I'd like that, Dad." Gus hugged Brian before he moved ahead of them and down the stairs.

Justin put his arm around Brian's waist and Brian stopped and looked at Justin. "You felt that?" Brian asked. He had wanted to rush after him.

"Brian, don't you think I want to hold his hand all day? Or keep him in my sights at all times?" They moved down the stairs and headed toward their room. "We can't do that. He is smart. He will be careful."

"I know you're right, but it is so hard." Brian opened the bedroom door and they got ready for their day.

 

After breakfast, Jessi stayed with Emma, Aaron went with Brian, and Gus went for a ride with Justin. He decided, although the cart would be more fun, it was better if they took an SUV. They would be better protected if something did happen. Justin drove to an overlook that was still in view of the house and yet there was no one nearby, although Justin knew they were being watched by Joshua or one of the other men.

"Dad told you I wanted to talk to you, didn't he?"

"He did."

"You know he has never been good with listening."

"Ah, Gus, the problem is he listens with his heart instead of his head."

"You listen with your heart, too."

"I do, Gus, but I can do two things at once. You know when Brian loves someone, he struggles to think straight and that's not a bad thing."

"Daddy J," Gus began. He hadn't used that name for Justin for a long time. "I don't know why I'm scared. You and Dad always keep me safe, so I shouldn't worry and that isn't counting all the other guys around." His words came out in a rush.

Justin reached over and took his hand. "Oh, Gus, of course you're scared. There is some maniac on the loose and even with all the people around, I'd be scared to death, too. Do you have any questions?"

"Why isn't my mama here? If she loved me she would be here with me. It's her fault this is happening. I hate her." The tears began to flow now and Justin pulled him into his arms. "I really do HATE her."

"If you hated her, it wouldn't hurt so much." The tears slipped from Justin's eyes as he watched his son work through his pain and fear.

Several minutes later Gus moved back and looked into Justin's eyes. "Thanks, Dad."

"Anytime, Gussy. You know your dad and I will do anything to keep you safe."

"I know that and that's why I know you love me."

"Damn, Gus, you can't even imagine how much we love you and your brother and sister. So, what have you and Fi talked about lately?" Gus started talking about his friend and they talked for several minutes about anything that came to their minds. 

"Dad, thanks. I feel better but now, I really need to go to the bathroom."

"No problem. And I know it is no fun having to be with an adult all the time."

"I don't mind. I am with the kids or Dusty most of the time anyway. Now I'll just make sure I am with someone. It won't be long."

Justin turned the vehicle around and headed back to the house, "How did we get a kid as good as you?"

"You weren't thinking that not long ago. I know I drove you crazy on the island."

"Gus, you were a normal kid." Justin pulled up to the house and Gus was out of the vehicle the moment it stopped and was in the door before Justin could even move.

Gus helped Emma and Jessi make cookies and then the three of them made homemade pizza for lunch. When everyone came in they all enjoyed the meal and then had ice cream for dessert. 

"Hey, Gus, want to come with me this afternoon?" Brian asked. 

"Where are you going?"

"I, I'm not sure. I just thought..."

"Dad, I know you don't want me to be bored but I can entertain myself for an afternoon. Maybe Fi will be able to play.

"Maybe when she has to go to bed, I can play with you," Brian offered.

"Dad, you are horrible at video games."

"How do you know Justin and I aren't playing every night?"

"Dad, you and Daddy J play, but it has nothing to do with the TV."

"Hahaha, smart ass. You are getting way too ..."

"Observant?" Gus smiled. "I'm not a kid anymore, Dad."

"I'll text Kate and let her know it is fine with me."

"Thanks, Dad." Gus said as he moved out of the kitchen and Brian and Justin went outside with Aaron and Jessi to go on a horseback ride.

 

Gus and Fiona played their favorite game until Fi had to go to bed, but it was only 3:00 pm in Colorado. He looked out the window and saw the rest of his family out by Gus the bison's pen. Maybe he should have gone with them, but he didn't want anything to happen to them so it was best if he just stayed in the house. He started reading a book but soon he had fallen asleep and found himself dreaming of Fi and Ireland.

 

He stood about twenty feet from the house in the thick forest. He was wearing camouflage and was fairly sure someone could be staring right at him and not see him. From his position he could see into the kid's room. He had been in there all afternoon and the don didn't want to waste anymore time. Tonight a storm was expected and when the time was right he would work his way into the house, up to the brat's room, and they would be long gone before anyone knew he was missing. He slipped back farther into the trees and moved toward the vehicle he had parked about a mile away. They had worried about how he would get the kid away from the house, so they decided a horse would work, but the boy would need to be knocked out so he wouldn't fight. He would throw him over the saddle in front of him and ride to the road where the don would be waiting. They would stay at the small cabin they rented tonight and tomorrow they were moving to a different cabin about 20 miles away. From there they would contact his mother and make the bitch pay.

 

"I just want all of you to know that we are going to get a storm tonight," Joshua said as everyone ate cookies for dessert. "I don't expect it to be dangerous but it could be loud." He smiled at Jessi. "I know you don't get scared easily."

"But I don't like thunder," she said, crawling up on Dusty's lap as she took a second cookie. "I am sleeping with my daddies tonight." She stuck the cookie in Dusty's mouth and he took a bite.

"Of course you can, baby girl," Justin said.

Under his breath Brian sighed and said, "Two nights in a row."

"What was that, Dad?" Gus asked, smiling at his dad. He understood immediately that his dads missed being alone at night.

Justin looked at Joshua and asked, "Is it just going to rain or wind or what?"

"I expect rain and thunder, but there is a chance of some wind, too. But it shouldn't be anything more than you were used to on the island. We might have some gusty wind and if we happen to lose electricity, the generator will kick in. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds or so."

Brian took a swallow of his drink and said, "Thanks, Joshua. You are right about the storms on the island. We had a couple bad ones while we lived there."

Soon Justin was helping Emma clean the kitchen while the kids cleared the table and Dusty was off to meet up with the men that were patrolling tonight. Brian and Joshua moved to the office to talk in private. 

"Brian, I have nothing to base this on, but my feelings are rarely wrong. Someone was watching the house today even though I couldn't see him on camera."

"Do you think they are going to hit soon?"

"I did see an area behind the house that had a trampled area but I couldn't be sure it was human but it was in an area with a good view of Gus' room."

"Isn't there a camera around there?" Brian asked Joshua.

"There is but it is solar powered and because of the heavy foliage, it didn't fully charge."

"Did you fix it?"

"I did. I put a backup power source on it."

"Thank you, Joshua. Do you have a feeling whether or not they are around now?"

"My first thought was nothing will happen tonight with the storm predicted, but now I am not so sure. I feel there is a very negative power around us. My grandfathers are watching over Gus and they will keep him safe. I have prayed to the spirits of earth and fire and they will keep him safe."

"I really hope you are on good terms with those spirits," Brian said. "May I ask what earth and fire stand for?"

"Earth is security and home while fire is energy and passion. This home is full of passion and good energy."

"I like that and for some reason, it does make me feel better."

 

They all heard the storm rolling in and when it came time to go to bed, the family of five stood in the grand entry. "Gus, are you sure you don't want to sleep with us, too? We could make it a big slumber party," Justin said with a hand resting on Gus' shoulder.

"I'd rather not, unless you really want me to."

Justin looked over at Brian and he responded, "You don't have to, if you don't want to." He really wanted to keep him close but they had done everything they could to protect him and with the storm outside, no one was going to come up to the house. Justin squeezed Gus' shoulder before reaching for Brian, assuring him he agreed with what he said.  

"Just make sure you have a flashlight by your bed in case we lose power and you can always come down any time," Justin said as it thundered loud enough to rattle the windows.

"I promise. I kind of like storms." Gus said as Jessi hugged him.

"Gus, you are so brave."

"Night, Jessi. Love you," he said as he hugged his little sister and then spontaneously hugged each of them and said he loved them before he ran up the steps to have the whole floor of the house to himself.

Brian and Justin took the other two into their bed and they started ‘Big'. That was always a family favorite and it wasn't long before the two little ones were asleep, despite the rolling thunder and the breeze outside. Justin got out of his side of the bed and moved around to slide into bed next to Brian. They had to lay tightly against each other to fit but that was just fine with them. 

"Do you really think Gus is alright up there?" Justin asked as Brian's hand slid into the shorts he was wearing and pressed him even tighter against his pelvis. 

"Damn, I want you." Brian whispered into his ear.

"Just think how good it will be when we are finally alone." Justin's lips searched out Brian's and they kissed, exploring each other's mouths for several minutes as the storm ramped up outside.

 

Gus went into Jessi's room and looked out the window. From there he could see the driveway.  In the distance he could see one of the ranch pickups parked across the road and there was a dim light coming from inside. He then went back to his own room and stood in the darkness, watching the lightning. Eventually he got in bed and he, too, was soon asleep.

 

Outside the house, unseen by everyone, the man was back. He had night vision glasses on and had watched the brat look out the window. They had to change their escape plan when the horse they got was too skittish in the thunder. Luckily, when he arrived, he saw a pickup parked across the drive. He only saw one man in it so he could deal with it. He would take out the power and the generator. Then he would get in and knock the boy out. He would carry him out of the house and then take care of the driver and drive away. He figured it shouldn't take much more than two minutes and with the sounds of the storm, no one should even know. Hopefully, they wouldn't even know anything had happened until sunrise.

And now it was time to put the plan in place as the storm started to increase. Within fifteen seconds he had moved from his spot in the woods to the side of the house where he tripped the generator's fuse and then killed the power to the whole ranch. He jimmied the lock and rushed up the service stairs tucked away in the corner of a hallway.  

He had soaked a cloth in chloroform which he had placed in a sandwich bag. Once he was in the room, he pulled out the cloth and in one smooth move, covered the boy's face. He never woke up. 

Soon Gus was over his shoulder and he was moving down the back steps. He knew he had about thirty minutes before the chloroform wore off. He laid Gus in the underbrush before sneaking up to the pickup. It didn't appear the man had even stirred when the power had gone off. In one smooth move he opened the door and shot the man at the base of his neck. He carried the body to the spot he had left Gus. He exchanged the dead man for the drugged boy and, as predicted, less than two minutes had passed since the power went out. As he started the pickup, boy by his side, he tossed the cell phone belonging to the now dead guard out the window.

By the time he dumped the stolen truck for his own vehicle Gus was starting to stir so he pressed the cloth over his face for a few seconds, sending him back to unconsciousness.

 

Joshua and Emma stood outside the primary bedroom. Joshua had stopped Emma from pounding on it, knowing the kids were with them. "Emma, go in and try to get Brian or Justin out here."

"Yes, the wee ones don't need to wake up to this." Emma silently entered the room and her heart ached even more than it already did as she looked at the four in the bed. Justin had gone back to his original spot and he and Brian held hands with the kids between them. It took her a split second before she moved to Brian's side of the bed, bent down and whispered, "Brian, be silent and come to the hall."

Brian stirred and as soon as it sunk in that Emma was in their room and what she had said, he was out of bed and followed her out into the hall. As soon as the door was closed he said, "What is it?"

Joshua didn't waste time "Gus is gone. The sheriff is already looking for him. One of the men was killed and he killed the man in front of the house."

Brian stood in stunned silence for a long moment and then said, "Why are we standing here? We need to find him. I'll dress and start looking. We need help. We need to call..."

Emma put her hand on Brian's shoulder as Joshua said, "I have everything in place. I just wanted to tell you before I go join the search."

"Brian?" Justin stepped out of the room and looked at the three. He instantly knew something was wrong. "Gus!" It came out as a whisper as pure fear crossed his face. He went back into the bedroom and immediately started dressing.

Brian and Justin were dressed and leaving the bedroom when Aaron and Jessi woke simultaneously. Brian looked at Emma and she waved them on. "I will explain to the wee ones and take care of them." She turned to Joshua and kissed him. "Keep me up to date."

Joshua took the lead while Brian and Justin followed while Emma stepped into the bedroom.

 

The next couple hours Brian and Justin were in a haze. They separated, going in opposite directions, one with Joshua and one with Dusty. By mid morning the stolen truck was found and they called Joshua to the scene. The authorities could see what direction the truck went but Joshua was the best tracker any of them had ever known. He was sent to several spots throughout the morning but none of them led to anything.  

At noon everyone met back at the house to eat and regroup. When Brian and Justin walked into the kitchen, Jessi rushed to them. "Daddies, I am so worried. Where is Gus? We need to find him. I know Gus is big but he doesn't know anything about bad guys."

Brian picked her up to hug her. He just needed to hug her. Justin kissed her, before walking over to Aaron, who was helping put sodas out for the people coming to eat. He wrapped his arms around his mini me from behind and kissed the top of his head. " Hi Dad. They haven't found him yet?"

"No, we haven't."

Aaron turned and put his arms around Justin's neck, pulling him down and hugged him tight. "Daddy, they killed a man. What if they..."

Justin wrapped his arms tightly around Aaron and just held on to him for a long time. "Oh, Aaron, I don't think they want to hurt him. I think they want Mel to..."

Aaron let go of him and stood up straight, looking directly into his dad's eyes. "I hate her! If I ever see her again, I'll..." He didn't finish his sentence and ran into the cat area and as far away from reality as he could get.

 

Gus had a headache. He tried to sit up but his arms and legs were both tied together. He could tell he was in some small room with either no windows or the window was boarded up. He didn't remember leaving the ranch. He instinctively knew he must have been taken by the men his mama had warned them about.

He was very thirsty and his stomach gurgled but the worst thing was, he had to go to the bathroom and he couldn't wait much longer. He could hear noise coming from the next room.  "Hello? Is someone there? I really need to go to the bathroom."

The door opened and a man with a stocking cap walked in. He didn't say anything but untied his hands and feet and led him to a small bathroom.

"Sir, I don't know what you think I can help you with but..."

"Hurry up!,"  The man said. 

When Gus came back out he asked, "Could I have some water and maybe something to eat?"

"Sit down!" The man spoke gruffly and then using rope and chain, he attached Gus' ankle to the wall, giving him a little more mobility than previously. "Don't try anything."

The door was closed and Gus could hear the man talking to someone. Whoever it was had a heavy accent. He hoped the man was bringing food back to him. He would need his strength if he was going to escape.

Five minutes later the man returned with a plate of pasta and a bottle of water. "Thank you, Mister. What is going on? If this is about my mama, I haven't seen her in a long time. I think it has been three years." 

The man looked at him and appeared ready to say something but didn't. As he walked to the door he turned and said. "Get some sleep. We will be moving on tonight."

The words felt like ice in his blood. He had no idea he would have to be out of here so quickly. He heard the men talking in the other room. He couldn't understand it all but he heard his mama's name. He ate the food and drank the water. Later his plate was collected and he was given another bottle of water. The man said, "Sleep," and left him.

 

The sheriff's department had contacted the FBI and they arrived mid afternoon, landing on the small airfield prepared for Terry's use starting next month. By the time the sun was setting late that evening, Gus hadn't been found, but they had checked out a lot of areas so they were now focused on a much smaller area than that morning. There were three specific buildings they would look at once the sun went down. They would use a drone to check out each cabin or shed. Different groups were already getting in place quietly as the sky darkened. Brian was located nearby with one of the deputies so he would be close when they found Gus.

Justin was at the house with Aaron and Jessi. They were both upset as well and the three of them spent a lot of the time sitting together and reading books or watching TV until they just couldn't anymore. Eventually, Aaron went to spend time with his cats and Jessi and Justin decided to make bread. Once the overnight dough was in the fridge Justin tried to get them down, but neither of them could get settled until Justin, Jessi, and Aaron got into Aaron's bed along with the cats and Justin started singing softly to them. As the children fell asleep, the tears started running down his cheeks. Their boy was with an international criminal. How could anyone treat their amazing son like this? Mel was finally showing concern and was flying into Denver sometime late tonight and she was expected at the ranch before noon. He didn't want to deal with her shit. He sat with the kids for a few more minutes and then got up. He felt completely helpless and if he felt like this, he could only imagine what Gus was feeling. He pulled out bacon and eggs and started making a breakfast quiche.

 

Gus hadn't slept at all. When his eyes adjusted to the dark room, he could see there was a window and it had only taken him a few minutes to realize if he removed his shoe, he could wiggle his foot out of his tether. He went into the bathroom and shut the door. In near total darkness, Gus began to pull at the boards and he was glad to realize the wood had rotted. He would frequently check to make sure the two men were still quiet in the other room. As soon as he managed to get two pieces of the wood off he grabbed the bottle of water he had saved and the thin blanket they had given him. At the last minute he picked up an old nail and before sticking it in his pocket he dug it into the wood. Then silently he slipped out into the pitch black night.

 

As soon as it was completely dark the FBI put two drones in the air. The third spot had been ruled out after realizing there had been a fire in it and there was no longer a roof on it. It was soon obvious which location was occupied. There was a large SUV partially hidden under a pine tree. They immediately started implementing their plan and began to close in on the cabin. 

Brian called Justin and he answered, "Do they have him? Have you seen him?"

"Sunshine, they have found the location. They are moving in now."

"Are they sure it is the right place?"

"As sure as they can be. How are the other two?"

"They finally fell asleep. Brian, I am so scared. I can't imagine the fear he has."

"Ah, Justin, I have been thinking the same thing all day."

 

The agents surrounded the cabin and just as they began to move in they heard a voice from inside shout, "He's gone. The fuckin' little bastard got out." The door flew open and the two men ran out only to find at least ten guns pointed directly at them.

Some of the agents entered the cabin as others cuffed the suspects. Brian pulled up with the deputy as the first agents came out.

"There is no kid in there but there is an open window in the back," one of the agents stated.

In a strong Italian accent one of the men said, "Bambino? We have no bambino. We are just up here for the view."

"Where is he!" Brian shouted at the two men. "What have you done with him?"

"Sir, I don't know anything about a missing child." The Italian said.

Brian had just called Justin and let him know Gus wasn't at the cabin with the men. "Bri, what do you mean he isn't there? He has to be there."

"Mr. Kinney, could you come here for a moment?" the lead agent called to him.

"Sunshine, I love you. I have to go. They want to show me something in the cabin. I will call you if I hear anything else." Brian walked to the cabin. The small building was now flooded with light. The first room wasn't in bad shape. There were two cots and a working kitchen. 

When they moved into the second room the conditions dropped dramatically. He could see the restraint that had been used to hold him. "Where could he have gone? It is obvious someone was tied up and who would it be other than Gus?" Brian asked.

The agent said, "I agree, but those slimeballs are going to say we have no proof."

In the small bathroom where the boards had been pulled off the window another agent called out, "Hey, Chief, come look at this!" 

Brian followed the lead agent to the doorway of the room as the agent held up a board. On it something had been etched into the wood with an old nail. It said, ‘Gus was here.'