- Text Size +

 

With the arrival of the Hart-Andrew family, the ranch got into a routine. They had hired Willow to take some of the load off of Emma and she fit in perfectly. She set up a routine for the three youngest right away. Since Gus was still laid up, he still had to spend most of his time around the house. He was healing both physically and mentally. Terry had spent time with him doing therapy on his knee. Gus felt so comfortable with Terry that he didn't even realize Terry was helping him work through all his trauma.

Once Jenn was sure Gus was healing and everyone was safe, she flew back home. Molly, Daniel and Jaylen were coming for a visit, so she needed to get back to her own life. She promised Emma she would be back for Thanksgiving and help with the cooking. After kisses and a few tears Terry flew her down to the airport on his way to one of the local reservations to work at a clinic.

Justin and Griff both thrived being back together. They were already planning a new exhibit. It would be a group of paintings and sculptures of the nature around them. Terry and Brian had to smile at their husbands. They both knew when their husbands were involved with something creative, because their creativity followed them to the bedroom.

Willow had agreed to work for them until she left for college. She planned different activities for them.  She was familiar with the area so they took many field trips. Gus went along some of the time but other times he stayed back and spent time in the studio with Griff and Justin or in the kitchen with Emma. A couple times Terry took him up in his plane. He loved that. Gus couldn't decide if being a doctor or being a pilot was cooler.

By mid August Gus was back on Catori and the camping trip was on. As they packed the night before Brian went to check on Gus. "Are you sure you are up to this? If not, I will volunteer to stay back with you," Brian offered.

"Dad, do you really hate this so much? I mean you are just driving over and hiking about a mile."

"And you're sure you're up to riding the whole way across the meadow? You haven't ridden that far for a long time."

"Terry says I'm ready and I think I am. All the exercise has really strengthened my leg and riding Catori has really helped." He looked at Brian's face, "Why don't you want to do this?"

"I guess it is just out of my comfort zone. I was a poor city kid and nature really wasn't something I had experience with."

"You and Dad have been to lots of places now."

"Yes, but they all had indoor plumbing," Brian smiled at Gus, "I guess I am never too old to try something new at least one time."

"Dad, this place doesn't have normal indoor plumbing but it's not like you have to go out behind a tree."

Brian pulled back the covers and Gus got in bed. Brian sat on the edge next to him and said, "Gus, I know you were a little nervous when you first came back up here to sleep."

"The first night I was really scared. I knew it was stupid, because those bad guys weren't coming back. One was back in Italy and the other was locked up for murdering that poor guy, but I still couldn't stop worrying."

"Why didn't you call your dad and me? We would have come up."

"I didn't want you to think I was a baby."

"Gus, that is one thing we would never call you. Hell, I would have never made it out there."'

"You would have, Dad."

"But the fact that you remembered how to use the stars just listening to Joshua and Dusty shows just how smart you are, and those shoes you made..."

"The shoes were crap," Gus said. "I had to stop a lot and find more moss." Brian pulled his son into his arms as a wave of emotion rolled over him. Gus hugged him back. "Dad, maybe you should talk with Terry. I know he helped me even if I wasn't supposed to know he was giving me therapy."

Brian kissed Gus' cheek. "Again, wiser than me. Can you watch out for me in the woods when we get to the cabin?"

"Sure, Dad." As Brian walked out the door he heard Gus laugh softly, "You're so stupid sometimes, but I love you."

"Love you, too, Gus." 

 

The next morning after breakfast, the four kids, along with Willow, Dusty, Joshua, Justin, and Griff started out to ride to the camp. Three ponies and five horses were on the move. Emma had packed a lunch for them and they would stop about halfway to eat, and watch the bison for a while if they happened to be grazing in the area. They might take a dip in the steam if they got too warm. It would be a nice break for the horses and then they would move on and be at the cabin by mid afternoon.  

Brian and Terry had an early afternoon meeting and then they, along with Emma, would drive the supplies over to the hunting cabin. They would walk the mile from the road to their lodgings, and after everyone was there a couple of people would go back to the vehicle to pick up the supplies on horseback. They would spend two nights there. There was no cell reception. There was a generator for a refrigerator but the house was not wired with lights. There was a compost toilet and a pump for water to clean with, although they brought drinking water with them. The pump water was probably safe to drink but they didn't want to risk getting sick from it.

 

By the time the riders stopped for lunch they all needed to stretch. Once there the steeds were staked near the brook with plenty of grass for grazing and enough shade to get out of the heat. The spot they had chosen was a little higher than the floor of the meadow, giving them a great view. Dusty and Willow set out the food on a blanket. There were sandwiches made specifically for each of them and then there were a couple bags of chips along with fruit and vegetables to munch on, and a container of peanut butter cookies, because chocolate chips would have been too messy in the heat. 

The bison were visible on the far side of the valley but as they sat and ate, the herd began to move closer. All of them got quiet as one of the big bulls came close. Jessi crawled into Justin's lap and whispered, "Daddy, he is so big!"

Softly Joshua said, "He is the biggest bull there is out here."

"Gus is bigger, isn't he?" Gus asked about the bison bull back at the ranch.

"Yes, Gus is bigger. He has always been fenced in so has never had to scrounge for food. Remember, he was orphaned as a baby and would have died if we hadn't taken him in."

Griff asked, "Is it best to take in an animal like that? I have read that it is best for nature to make the decision."

"It is," Dusty said, "but this was a special circumstance. "Mom watched Gus being born and then watched his mother die. The herd had moved to the other side of the valley and Mom couldn't watch the calf die. She managed to clean him off with an old blanket, and once Gus could walk she managed to get him in the pickup. One of our cows nursed Gus."

"I would have done the same thing," Willow interjected. All the adults saw the look that passed between Dusty and Willow and the flush that came to Dusty's cheeks afterward. 

"Papa?" Elian said softly as he encircled Griff's neck with his arms, "He scares me a little. He is so big. He can't get us up here, can he?"

Joshua stood and looked directly in the eyes of the beast and spoke, "He could, but he won't.  We are not threatening him. He is just letting us know that he is the boss here and I am letting him know we are safe."

"You can do that just by looking at him?" the small boy asked.

"I can. My father showed me the old ways," As Joshua said this, the bull shook his massive, shaggy head, turned, and walked away.

"Wow," Elian said, "You did it. Can you teach me how to do that?"

"Well, young man, if your dads don't mind, I can teach you what the chief taught me."

"Can he, Papa?"

Griff flipped his son over his shoulder and Elian squealed as he ended up in his dad's lap. "I don't see a problem but we will clear it with your Dad."

They packed up and continued their trip. After a few minutes Gus moved next to Justin and Griff moved ahead to ride next to Elian.

Justin glanced over at Gus, "Something on your mind?"

"Daddy J, that creek we were by, that's the same one I followed, isn't it."

"It is. Does that bother you?"

"Not really. The sound of it reminded me of how scared I was those two nights."

"Are you still scared?"

"No. Not when it is light out. I can promise I won't be in the woods alone at night again, for a very long time."

"Well, that is smart no matter how old you are." Justin reached over and touched Gus' leg. "I think I can see the cabin." He pointed, changing the subject.

The cabin was farther away then it looked and it was another hour before they got a clear view of the building. "It doesn't look very big," Willow commented.

Dustin replied, "It isn't very big, but we will be setting up tents. Willow, you can sleep in the loft or in the tent with the kids. Dad, Mom, and I will sleep in one of the tents and we have a third tent we can set up if we need it but I think the two couples will sleep inside. There is a small bedroom and a loft inside."

"I grew up sleeping in tents. We went camping all the time."

"How come we never met before?" Dusty asked.

"We lived about an hour away. My parents just moved to the area and our moms met, which is how I got here."

"I was wondering." 

Joshua turned around and said loud enough for everyone to hear, "We will be there in about ten minutes. We will just need to go around the next little hill."

"Damn, that's good. My ass is worn out," Justin said softly to Griff.

"Are you going to break the news to Brian or should I?"

Justin laughed loudly, "I missed you so much."

 

Emma directed Brian as he drove down an old logging road and then guided him where to turn.  After a few miles the trail ended at a spot barely big enough to turn around. They each grabbed a small bag of supplies and they started the short hike.  

They had been walking about five minutes when they heard something ahead of them. Emma stopped and put up a hand for the men to stop, too. Then from the path ahead of them they heard a horse whinny. "Is that you, Dusty?"

"Hey, Mom." Dusty came into view, leading a horse with Willow riding behind that. They had a brief exchange and both groups continued on their way. Dusty and Willow loaded up the extra horse with the supplies and then Dusty handed a bottle of water to Willow and sat on the edge of the tailgate.

"Thanks, I am thirsty." Dusty also pulled out a candy bar and took a big bite. "Are you okay? You aren't feeling shaky or anything are you?" Willow had been told right away about Dusty's diabetes.

"I just need to replenish a little. My watch told me my blood sugar was starting to dip just a little."

"How are you liking the watch?" Terry had hooked Dusty up with a monitor right after arriving.

"It works well, but now that I see how well this works, I think I will try the pump."

"I can't imagine what it would be like to have to monitor everything like you do."

"If I'm honest, that is easier than my anxiety. The diabetes, especially now with the monitor, is much easier to keep track of, but if I get anxious it can take hours or even days before I start relaxing again."

"Can you tell when something like that is coming on?"

"Sometimes I can. If I have to go somewhere new, I will definitely feel it coming on. Sometimes medication helps. Some of the local places in town I feel comfortable most of the time, but then it will sneak up on me and I can just melt down in a place even if I know it well. At least they know me and understand. They will let me go to a back room or get me out before it really hits." He stopped a moment and then said, "I don't know why I'm telling you all this. I guess it is because you have never shown any judgment."

"Who am I to judge anything? People are who they are. It drives me crazy when someone says something isn't normal. Who gets to decide what normal is? People are who they are. They love who they love. I just wish the world would realize that as long as we are kind to one another and are there for one another, everything would be so much better." She reached out and squeezed Dusty's hand.

"Willow, I really like you and I... I have never had a girlfriend." He looked at her face, "Maybe that isn't even what you are thinking. Maybe I am reading you all wrong."

Willow moved closer and brushed her lips against his. "You were reading everything right, Dusty." This time her lips lingered on his and his arm went around her neck, holding her close as their lips continued exploring the feel of the others.

Finally Willow pulled away gently, "We better get the supplies back to the cabin."

"Ya, or Dad will come looking soon." Dusty flushed.

 

When Willow and Dusty arrived back at the cabin they were surprised that no one mentioned how long it took them. The tents were set up and the three littlest were in one of them getting their sleeping bags ready. Gus and Terry were collecting wood in the forest. Terry thought it would be good for Gus as long as it was light and they stayed within earshot of the cabin. Inside the house Brian and Justin put fresh sheets on the bed and Griff did the same in the loft. When Griff finished, and when he came back down and heard Brian and Justin, he stuck his head in the room. The two were rolling around on the bed they had just made.

"Oh, sorry. By the way Brian, Justin's ass is worn out so you may need to get those ideas out of your mind."

Brian looked at Justin, then at Griff, and then back to Justin. "It was the longest I have ever ridden a horse," Justin said, before kissing Brian.

"Well, I think it will need a good massage later." Brian ran his hand over Justin's jean clad ass.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. But we should probably go outside now. We need to be good little campers." Justin stood and offered his hand to Brian and the three men walked outside.

Emma made dinner for everyone and after eating and cleaning up everyone sat around the campfire and listened to Joshua tell stories. "Horses were very important to my people. They didn't arrive here until white man brought them. Before the horse came to our country, the indigenous people lived in a small world. They would only travel a day's walk. They would hunt cuhtz, the Comanche word for buffalo or bison, on foot."

"How did they sneak up on a buffalo?" Aaron asked.

"They would use hides from a previous hunt. They would throw them over themselves and hide among the herd. They would choose a specific animal and then, using arrows and spears, they would attack."

"They killed the buffalo? That sounds mean," Jessi said.

"It was how they survived. They would use every part of the animal. They used the hides for clothes and shelter. They used the meat to feed their families. They would even use the bones for tools. They didn't leave one scrap of waste." Joshua smiled gently at Jessi curled up on Brian's lap. "I can see how it would seem wrong, but the Great Spirit provided those animals for my people's survival. When horses arrived it made hunting easier, but it also made the world so much bigger. They felt they could ride the wind now and travel so much further. They became more nomadic and continued to travel until we were sent to live on reservations."

Joshua finished his story and then Emma and Willow brought out the makings for smores. The kids ate them and then they all washed up in a bucket of water that had warmed near the fire. And then the little ones went into their tents and crawled into their sleeping bags. It was only moments before the kids were sound asleep. It had been a big day and now they would dream of the adventures of the past.

"Willow, do you want to check the picket line with me? I just want to make sure the horses are all secure for the night," Dusty asked as he picked up a flashlight.

"Sure!" Willow stood, and as soon as they thought they were out of sight Dusty reached for her hand and turned on the beam.

Once they were sure the couple was out of earshot, Justin said, "You know there is something going on there, right?"

"I have been watching sparks for the last couple of weeks. I take it that something happened today," Emma said, looking in the direction that her son had walked.

"I think something happened on the supply run. They are good together," Brian added.  

"They are both young, but they are good for each other," Joshua said. "The stars are speaking tonight. Look at all of the winking they're doing."

The three couples all gazed up at the sky and watched the light show.

 

"I still can't get over the stars you can see here," Griff said as he and Terry looked up through a skylight in the cabin. 

"It is pretty astonishing. It almost looks like the sky when I'm flying." 

From below they heard Justin muffling a groan. "Sounds like Justin is getting the ass massage Brian promised."

"Ass massage?" Terry questioned.

"Justin had said his ass was worn out from all the horseback riding today."

"Well, maybe I should see if I can notice any wear and tear on your backside." With a quick movement, Griff was laying on his stomach and Terry's mouth began working its way down Griffin's back and then his tongue moved through the valley between his cheeks and very soon Griff was muffling his own pleasure.

 

After they had finished making love, Justin lay in Brian's arms and told him about the ride, and then told him about the conversation he had with Gus. "I think I should go check on him and make sure he and the other kids are sleeping."

"Let me go," Brian said as he moved to pull on some sweats and a sweatshirt. "Damn it is colder than I thought it would be tonight." He bent and kissed Justin, who held onto him and deepened the kiss. When he finally let go of him, Brian said, "That should keep me warm. Remember where we were," he said as he slipped out the door as quietly as he was able, not wanting to wake Terry and Griff.

Once he was outside, Brian was surprised to see Gus sitting by the campfire where he had put more wood on the embers, rebuilding the fire. He didn't want to scare him so he cleared his throat before moving toward him. He sat next to him on a bench. He reached over and took his hand. They sat there in silence for several minutes before Brian said, "Can't sleep?"

"I know it's stupid, but the noises and smells... I keep thinking I hear someone."

Brian put an arm around Gus' shoulder as his son rested against him. "You have every right to feel scared or nervous. Do you want to come in the cabin and sleep with Justin and me?"

He hesitated for a moment and then said, "No. I don't want the kids to wake up and find me gone."

"Are you sure? I could stay out here and you could go in."

"Dad, that would be your worst nightmare. I feel a lot better now."

"Just remember if you want to come inside you can."

"Okay, Dad."

Now Brian was sure he heard someone talking. "What's going on? Now I hear..."

"You hear Dusty whispering to Willow. I heard him sneak into her tent just before I came out here. They aren't" he paused, "they aren't doing anything. They're just talking." He smiled. "I'm ready to sleep now."

"Just remember you can come in if you want to."

"I know, Dad."

They stood and Brian walked him to the tent. "I love you, Gus."

"Love you, too, Dad." He kissed Brian on the cheek and, after making sure the others were asleep, Brian closed the tent. He made sure the fire was banked and walked back to the cabin. He wasn't sure if Justin was asleep so he tried to be quiet as he entered the room.

"You were out there a while. Were the kids awake?"

"Only Gus. He was sitting by the fire."

"He couldn't sleep?"

"You can imagine. I told him he could come in but he didn't want to leave the others."

"I can go sleep out there with them."

"I offered him my bed and I would have slept out there but he said he was good. He did seem good. Now for the gossip.."

"Gossip?"

"Dusty is in Willow's tent."

"They aren't doing anything... Are they?"

"Gus said they were just talking."

"I don't see those two jumping into something like that."

Brian moved against his husband, "Jumping into what?"

Justin pressed himself tightly against Brian and ran his hand down his back. When he got to his briefs his hand moved under the waistband. He gently squeezed one of Brian's ass cheeks, "Not everyone spends their first night fucking their brains out?" Justin asked.

"Are you complaining?"

Justin threw a leg over Brian's pulling him even closer. "I don't think I have ever complained about making love with you."

 

"Gussy, I'm cold," Jessi whispered right by Gus' ear.

"Do you want to go into the cabin?" he asked her.

"It is starting to get light. Can I just come in your sleeping bag?"

"Sure you can." Gus opened the sleeping bag far enough for her to slide in and then he sipped it back up. She laid her head on his pillow and that is how Aaron and Elian found them. They tiptoed out of the tent with their heavy jackets on. 

"Good morning, boys. How did you sleep?" Emma asked as she poked the roaring fire.  "Come sit over here and you will be nice and warm. "Where are the other two?"

"They are still sleeping. Jessi is in Gus' sleeping bag with him."

Emma looked in and snapped a picture of the brother and sister. Even though his arm was inside the sleeping bag, she could see Gus' arm was around her protectively. She walked back and poured two small cups of hot cocoa for the boys. "You can sip on this while I make breakfast."

"Yummy!" Elian said, and he carefully blew on it. 

"You can have more but it will cool quicker this way so you can actually drink it."

Soon Dusty and Joshua appeared. They had been taking care of the horses. Emma poured them each a cup of coffee and it wasn't long before everyone was up and enjoying a hearty breakfast. After they had finished eating, Willow and Dusty took the kids on a nature hike. As they walked away, the rest of the adults heard Willow pointing out different plants.

"So do we have anything planned for later?" Justin asked.

"We're going fishing," Joshua stated. It didn't sound like a suggestion. It sounded more like an order.

Terry smiled, "It's been a long time since I fished in a stream in the mountains." As Joshua moved to go get more wood, Terry said, "I'll go with you." Joshua had an ax and Terry grabbed some tarp that would help them carry the wood back.

They worked together and when they had enough they sat down for a minute and drank some water. "Joshua, I have been studying your heritage since I will be working with different tribes. They were quite the warriors."

"If you mean they were brutal, you are right. They were very proud people and they believed in getting revenge. I would never question my grandfathers, but I wish I could spend a day with them when they were not at war. Life was hard. They were hard."

"I would never expect Comanche today would be like their ancestors, but I do find it very interesting as a psychiatrist."

"My people didn't treat women well. Can you imagine Emma not speaking unless I spoke to her?" Joshua shared a rare, mischievous smile with Terry. "Progress is good."

"You do have a very good partner. She is so warm and just knows how to make you feel at home."

"Yes, I am fortunate. You and Griff are right for each other. You knew right away."

"I think we did. And when Elian came along, we had all we needed."

They both went quiet in their own thoughts and together they used the canvas to get the wood back to the cabin. Before they got to the clearing they could hear the kids had returned.

Joshua stopped. "Your son, he is new to you, right?"

"Do you know the story?" Terry asked and he nodded. "Elly deserved so much. His life had been one disaster after another and we could give him the stability he needed and anything else he could ever want."

"You were meant to be a family. This was planned by the universe." Without another word he began to walk again. 

As soon as they hit the clearing by the house a voice called out, "Daddy!" and Elian ran toward him and Terry dropped to one knee and encircled his son in his arms. "I missed you."

"Did you have fun on your hike?"

"I did. I learned lots of stuff." Elian turned and looked at Joshua. "Mr. Joshua, when are we going to go fishing?"

"After lunch, young man."

"And lunch will be in about 30 minutes," Emma called out from her place by the fire. 

"Hey guys, I put a bag of activity books and games in your tent. Why don't you bring them out here and I am sure you can find something to do."

As Elian, Aaron, and Jessi dug through the bag, Terry came up behind Griff, who was drinking a bottle of water and relaxing against a tree. Wrapping an arm around Griff's shoulders he bit him lightly where his neck became his shoulder. "I love you and I love our family," he said softly in his ear.

Griff turned and kissed him, "I love you, too. I could never have imagined a life like this. It is all because of you."

"Face it, neither of us had it together until we got together."

"Terry, you were a doctor and a CEO of a couple companies when we met."

"Money is a necessary evil in the world, but the real reward is this." Terry placed a hand on either side of Griff's face and brought his mouth down to his lips. The tenderness of the kiss and connection of the spirit had them both soaring to the mountain peaks.

"Lunch is ready," Emma called loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Let's eat! I'm ready to catch more fish than all of you put together." Willow said, jabbing Dusty lightly.

"Only in your dreams," Dusty said as he took her hand and led the way to the food.

 

All of them spent the afternoon by a river near the camp. The Colorado natives taught the others how to use a rod and reel. Each local was in charge of one adult and one child and soon they had several stringers of fish.

"Emma, are we really going to eat these for dinner?"

"We are. There is nothing better than fresh trout."

"How do they get from here to..." he looked at the flopping fish in the shallows of the river.

"Let's just say that Dusty will release their spirit and then Joshua and I will prepare them," Emma smiled at the quizzical boy.

"What does he do?" Gus asked.

Looking around to make sure none of the little ones were listening, she replied, "The most humane way is knocking them on the head with a stick. It may seem terrible but we are using these fish for food. We are not killing them to put on a wall or to go to waste."

"I know it is like eating a chicken leg or a hamburger. I just never thought about how they were... um... prepared for the table."

"Maybe you would be interested in how we prepare them for the pan."

"Ya, I think I would like to see what happens once they aren't flopping."

"You're on."

 

When they had enough fish for dinner, the group started walking back to the cabin while Dusty and Joshua stayed back and made quick work of taking care of the fish. They arrived only minutes after the rest had gotten to the familiar clearing. While Gus learned to clean fish, Griff and Terry went inside. And while Willow and the other kids brought treats to the horses, Justin and Brian stretched out on a blanket.

"Brian Kinney, if I didn't know better, I'd say you are enjoying yourself."

"I'll admit, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It is obvious the kids are enjoying themselves and that is all that matters." He moved closer to Justin and placed his armpit close to Justin's nose. "I do believe by the time we get home you'll be ready for me to take a shower. I know I will be ready for a shower."

Justin took a deep breath and then kissed him. "I am sure eventually I'd tell you to shower but I like it when you smell... well, like you. It is a scent that only you have." 

They lay in silence for a few moments and then Brian said, "Can you believe Gus is helping with the fish. I'm not sure I would want to cut up an animal, even though I don't think of a fish having a personality or anything. I am sure I would get trashed by one group or another for saying that."

Emma came up to their blanket and said, "Just about ready to start frying fish. Would the two of you mind getting the rest of the food out? The menu is on the counter."

Brian jumped to his feet and offered his hand to Justin. "We got this."

 

The fish was amazing and the other food to go with it made a perfect meal. After they finished the meal, Joshua again told stories about his ancestry, but this time he focused on the Apache side of his family. Jessi sat next to Griff, but as the story went on, Jessi started to droop. Griff lifted her onto his lap and as her head lulled against his chest she said, "Thanks, Griffy."

He bent his head to hers and kissed her lightly on top of the head, "Any time, Jessi."

 

As they sat around the fire a whiskey bottle was passed around the circle. Willow and Dusty made a last check on the horses, and shortly after, Emma and Joshua said goodnight. As they moved toward the tent Joshua turned, "It will rain tonight, but the tents should be fine. If that changes, we will bring them in."

"Thanks. We'll check in on them later," Justin said. He stood up. "I think I might have just felt the first drop." They banked the fire and the men moved into the house. By the time they actually got into bed they could hear the steady rhythm of the falling rain as both couples drifted off to sleep.