- Text Size +

 

 

Justin pulled up in front of the diner a little after one in the afternoon. He had driven Brian home to change his clothes, then they returned to the city.

His shaky hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. He could see their friends through the establishment’s window.

“Stop stalling.” Brian opened the door, sliding out. “Do something productive and come give me a hand.”

Taking a deep breath, Justin got out of the car. He helped his son out, before joining Brian at the front of the Jeep, offering his arm.

“You really need crutches.”

“You really need your head checked.”

Justin rolled his eyes. He opened the diner’s door, guiding Nick in first.

The place fell silent when they stepped inside. Most likely, every queer present remembered the show Brian and Justin had put the last time they were seen together.

“My eyes are playing tricks,” Debbie squealed, rushing over with her arms outstretched. “Sunshine!”

Her exuberance made Nick cower behind his father’s legs, whimpering.

“Hey, Deb.” Justin hugged her tightly, only to pull away when she slapped him behind the head.

“That’s for not talking to any of us for years!”

“Yeah. I deserve it.” He looked down, dejected.

“I can’t say I’m not surprised to see you two together.” She looked between Justin and Brian, eyes full of questions. Then she noticed his foot. “What happened to you?”

“Long story,” Brian muttered, hopping on one foot to the booth hosting their friends. He pushed Michael into the wall, sliding beside him.

Justin picked Nick up, kissing his cheek. “It’s okay. These are my friends.” He stroked a hand down his back, looking at everyone. “I want you to meet Nicolas, my son.”

“Did you turn straight while in New York? We won’t judge you or anything, baby.” Emmett stood, enveloping both Justin and Nick in a big hug. “It’s so good to see you!”

“Uh, no.” At the surprised looks he received, Justin chuckled a little. “I mean, I’m not straight. I decided I wanted a baby.” He shrugged.

“On your own? It must have been hard,” Michael commented. He eyed Justin critically. There was something off with Boy Wonder, and he had a feeling they would find out what soon.

“No. Can we sit down? I have so much to tell you…”

“Deb, you better have your heart pills close by,” Brian warned, sneering at Justin who glared at him.

Justin pulled a chair at the end of the booth, sitting down with Nick on his lap.

Debbie brought coffees, taking a seat next to Justin. “We’re all ears, honey,” she urged him to start talking.

“I have no idea where to start…”

“How about the events that followed in the night we broke up? How you found your way back to—”

“I’m telling the story,” Justin snapped, glaring at Brian.

“Then you better not skip any detail.”

“Don’t mind him. Tell us what you want,” Emmett said gently.

Justin started with what Brian suggested—the night they broke up, explaining how he had ended up at Daphne’s. They got drunk, went to the park, and found a homeless Ethan on a bench. That piece of information got a common gasp from his peers. Then he continued his story with how he had returned to New York with Ethan. His intention at first was to help him get back to his feet, but it got to be more in only a few days. After some months cramped in Justin’s small studio, they bought a condo. When they found out same-sex marriages were legal in New York State, they invited Daphne over as their witness.

Brian interrupted. “Unwilling witness, mind you.”

Justin rolled his eyes, not minding him as he continued talking. He told them about the moment they decided to have a child, after meeting Lucy—a surrogate mother, at one of Justin’s after show party.

That way appeared Niccolò, named after the great violinist and composer Niccolò Paganini, but usually referred as Nicolas or Nick. Everyone “aww-ed” upon hearing that, except Brian, who looked ill.

Justin skimmed over his fructuous life in New York City, his fight with his mother, and got to the sad end of his fairytale and the reason he was back.

Debbie, being closer to him, pulled him in a hug, allowing him to cry in her shoulder.

“I sprained my ankle, if anyone is interested. Daphne offered me her spare bed, but then it got occupied by them.” Brian pointed to Justin and Nick.

“Why didn’t you come over?” Michael was hurt at not being Brian’s first option when he needed a place to stay.

“I gave it some serious thought about where I’d be less irritated. The only one who won was Daphne. Between you and Debbie, I’d rather shack up with Honeycutt, but then I’m not that desperate.”

Emmett pouted. “We could have done our manicures.”

“Exactly. I’d rather have my nails pulled out.”

Justin sniffed, wiping his eyes. “You’re going home anyway. I hope you’re going to pay me.”

Brian smirked. “Yeah, you’ll be my bitch for the next couple of weeks.”

“So you two…” Emmett gestured between them.

“No!”

“Fuck no.”

“Well, that settles it.” Debbie laughed. “We found something they agree on. Why are you going with him, then?”

“Like Brian reminded me earlier, Britin is mine too. I need a place to deposit my paintings, and somewhere to sleep. I don’t want to bother Daph. We’ll be in the guest bedroom…like housemates.”

“That hate each other’s guts,” Michael mumbled.

“It’s only temporarily. Until I find a place for Nick and me,” Justin explained.

“I’ll let him believe that,” Brian mumbled, leaning into Michael’s side.

“Don’t tell me you want—” Brian clamped a hand over Michael’s mouth.

“Shhh!” He narrowed his eyes at his best friend.

“After everything he’s done? You’re out of your mind.”

Brian glanced at Justin, who was busy looking over the menu with his son. He shrugged to Michael, but he was determined to get Justin back. He still loved him, and he knew Justin felt the same even though the arguments toward the end of their relationship might cloud his judgment.

Once everyone placed their order, Justin slid on the booth next to Emmett, and Debbie went back to her job.

“So where are Ted and Ben?” Justin asked, shifting his eyes between Michael and Emmett.

“Ben’s busy grading exams,” Michael explained. “And when he’s not doing that, he’s researching for a new book.”

“For two years now,” Emmett supplied, laughing.

“It takes time to come up with great ideas,” Michael defended his husband.

“And Theodore’s got whatever stomach bug Blake had. I swear, he does these things on purpose. When we’re busier than usual, he gets sick.” Brian groaned loudly.

“Yes, Brian. I’m sure Teddy just loves being glued to the toilet. At least, Blake is taking care of him.” Emmett smiled. “But enough chit-chat about us. Tell us about you!” He took Justin’s hands.

“Didn’t I just spend an hour to tell you all about my life?”

“We caught the gist of events. We want deets from the famous artist’s life.”

“Famous, my ass.”

“True words. Your ass is famous.” Brian snickered. Justin kicked him under the table, getting a howl of pain from Brian.

“Holy shit. I’m sorry!” Justin bit his lip, regretting his jerk movement.

“Fuck you too, Sunshine.”

“Really, I didn’t mean it.”

Emmett decided to distract them before an argument blew in their faces. “What do you mean you’re not famous? We read about your shows in the newspaper. You have an admirer in Rose Warren. She always writes lengthy reviews on your shows.”

“I know. She never misses a show. Daphne sent me one of her articles, and next time she attended one of my shows, I cornered this Rose. She has been writing about me for a couple of years then.”

“I guess she’s excited one of us—from the Pitts, I mean—made it out there,” Michael said.

“Yeah, definitely. Though, she makes me sound bigger than I am.” Justin narrowed his eyes at Brian when he opened his mouth. “Anyway, I’m known in certain circles, but nothing really…big.”

“We thought you lived big with your paintings…” Emmett wrapped an arm around Justin.

“I did. I do. I have some paintings at a gallery, but I’m bringing everything home.”

“Wait. You’re not going back?” Emmett’s eyes widened. “Why in the world are you coming back to Pittsburgh? Are you crazy?”

“There’s no reason to go back—only memories that hurt more than I want you to ever know. It’s time I come back, and tie some loose ends.”

“Like making up with Mother Taylor,” Brian suggested with a raised brow.

“Among others.”

After eating, Emmett declared that now Justin was back, they should throw him a party. Justin was about to reject the idea, when Nick squealed, nodding eagerly. He hadn’t warmed up to his friends, but Emmett’s idea for a party sounded like lots of fun.

“You can’t say no, now.” Emmett winked.

“But some other time. I’ll be crazy busy this following week. Which remind me; I have to call Mitchell about when exactly my stuff is being delivered.”

“And before that, we have go. Lots to do.” Brian seized Justin’s elbow, tugging him to the door.

Justin freed his arm, nearly throwing Brian off his already precarious balance, before wrapping his arms around Emmett, then Michael, and the last was Debbie.

“Now that you’re back, don’t be a stranger, Sunshine. We missed you.” She patted his cheek.

“I promise, Deb. Like I said, it will be a crazy few days, but once I settle back here in Pittsburgh, you’ll get sick of me.”

“Not possible,” Emmett declared loudly. “And bring your precious little one along.” He smiled at Nick, who was behind Justin’s legs, clutching to his jeans.

“Will do. How do you say?” He raised an eyebrow at his son, lifting him in his arms.

“Bye.” Nick waved to them, quickly burrowing his face in Justin’s neck.

“As for you, take care of yourself.” Debbie shook her finger at Brian. “I’m sure Justin’s kid is more mature than you.”

“I told him kicking inanimate objects would get him nowhere.” Justin smiled, ducking from Brian’s flying arm to his head. “Bye, guys. Come on.” He grabbed Brian’s bicep, steering him out the door.

The moment they were gone, the whole diner exploded in loud rumor.

“I give them one week before they give in,” Emmett said.

Michael gave him an incredulous look. “They’re lucky there’s that kid involved too now, or we wouldn’t have seen them. We’d have heard Justin was back…and kept wondering where the hell he was.”

Debbie shook her head, slapping the back of her son’s head. “Mark my words—Brian will have to grovel. Justin won’t fall for Brian’s sly smile and sweet words.”

“Ma, it was Justin’s fault they broke up, remember?”

“It was both their fault. I always sided with Sunshine, and I won’t stop now. Brian was always guilty.”

Before Michael could side with his best friend, Emmett nodded in agreement. “We all thought he’d stop tricking when they got engaged. Jesus, I still can’t believe that actually happened.”

“But then Justin left!”

“He was pushed to go to New York. Even Brian told him to go, to have that experience. Look where it brought them.” Debbie sighed, sadly.

“Still, I give them a week before they get back together,” Emmett announced loudly. “Anyone with me?” He looked around, and got nods of approval from most of the queers in the diner.

Debbie huffed. “I say…a month.”

“Ma! Do you realize I’m in the middle? I can envision Brian telling me about his plots…and how they failed. He’ll drive me crazy,” Michael whined. “I say the sooner they get back together, the better. It’s clear there’s a hell lot of tension between them.”

“Justin suffered a great loss, and he has that precious child. He’ll be cautious in accepting any of Brian’s proposals. When it happens, there will be terms settled, mark my words. It’s time Brian grew up.”

“We’ll see who wins.” Emmett smiled, secretly planning many sleepovers for Justin’s kid to leave the adults alone. If Justin was going to live with Brian, there would be no avoiding the inevitable.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

What are your bets? =)