- Text Size +

 

 

The days leading to Justin’s painting exhibition were hectic.

On top of having Nick constantly home, he also worked on the details regarding the trip to Florida in July. Brian got the hotel rooms booked and plane tickets, but it was Justin’s job to find activities for them during their stay.

It was difficult to find something remotely interesting for a child, especially since he had an interdiction to pick Disney World. And Justin had given up on his dream when he saw clips on the internet about how crowded it got. His anxiety would require a whole bottle of Xanax for him to survive in that place for a few hours.

The day before the show, Justin was more nervous than he had been on his first show at the Center when he was seventeen.

“Would you calm down?” Brian stepped out of the shower cabin, and met Justin’s eyes through the wiped part of the foggy mirror.

Justin glared at him through the patch in the mirror, placing his toothbrush in the cup. “It’s my come back exhibit. If I don’t make connections and meet people interested in commissions, I’m fucked.”

“Stop being a Drama Princess.” Brian grabbed his face cream from the cabinet. “Everyone will swarm around your stuff, as usual. Now, let me relax you.” He rubbed the cream under his eyes and on his cheeks.

“You don’t need the anti-aging cream, Brian,” Justin said softly, combing his fingers through Brian’s wet locks.

“That’s kind of you to say. Yet, you still like what you see because of this absurdly expensive cream.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “Now, who’s a Drama Queen, Brian?”

“I’m realistic.” He capped the jar, then turned to loop his arms behind Justin’s neck. “Is your mom still taking Nick after the show tomorrow?”

Justin nodded, pulling Brian’s head closer to kiss him. “She’s in for a surprise. After how she praised him the other week, after his birthday party.”

“It’s like you don’t want her to help again.” Brian kissed him deeply. “I’m starting to understand why your sex life was questionable. A child sure makes it difficult.”

“You don’t say?” Justin laughed nervously. This was what he had been dreading all along. Brian would realize he wasn’t capable to deal with Justin’s new life.

“Stop overthinking. I’m still all for adopting him,” Brian reminded Justin, as if knowing where his thoughts had led.

“I can’t help these thoughts. I know you, and I also know how you’ve changed…”

“But you’re too used with the old me.”

Justin grimaced. “I guess,” he mumbled.

Brian took Justin's hand, pulling him to the bed. He hooked his fingers under the elastic band of Justin's sleep pants, pulling them over his ass and down his legs.

Justin undid the towel from around Brian's waist, kissing him slowly. He gasped against Brian's lips, when Brian pulled him flush against him.

It was such unhurried moments, yet urgent touches, that led to Brian showing his most vulnerable side. And as much as Justin loved these moments, he also loved when Brian plowed him into the mattress, leaving him aching for hours after they had fucked.

“Think he’ll stay asleep?” Brian asked, as he pushed Justin back on the bed.

“I hope. Fuck, I need you so badly.”

Brian chuckled. “I swear, it’s like he’s doing it on purpose after the kitchen incident on his birthday.”

“He’s a thoughtful shit. He wants to check if I sewed your underwear.”

“Oops. Looks like I lost them again,” he joked.

Justin pressed a hand to his mouth, trying to muffle his laughter. He had to agree with Brian, about Nick walking on them multiple times during the past week. Justin could count on one hand the times Nick had walked in on him and Ethan in New York, but he was running out of fingers for the times Nick had disturbed his alone time with Brian since his birthday.

Brian stroked Justin's dick slowly, biting on his chin. “You know what we didn’t get to explore?”

“What?” Justin was curious what Brian had to say, because it was unlike Brian to chat during foreplay, let alone during the fucking.

“Granted, we were interrupted back then, as well,” he added thoughtfully, amusement evident in his voice.

Justin rolled them around so he was on top of Brian. He straddled his thighs, pumping his erection steadily. He lifted a brow in question.

“Remember our talk about trying it raw?” Brian ran the back of one hand over Justin's arm. “Maybe tomorrow…when we’ll have more time.”

Justin grimaced, his stomach tightened in worry as nerves made his hand falter in bringing Brian pleasure. “I’m worried,” he admitted. “Can we talk about this tomorrow?”

“Of course.”

#

The show was overwhelming for Justin. He didn’t expect for so many people to remember his name and come by, asking to meet him.

Brian was at his side most of the night, and Justin was grateful for that, because at some point it got too crowded for Justin’s anxiety. Brian only had to touch the small of his back, and say something silly about the trolls the gallery had hired as waiters.

“No guy here is remotely fuckable.”

“I’m seriously offended,” Justin retorted, amused.

“You are the only exception,” Brian emphasized. “Oh, would you look at that guy?” He added with disgust in his voice.

Justin followed his line of view and noticed Matt. “That’s the main show. Remember, I told you how he convinced the owner to have me here.”

“Riiight. The guy you fucked a lifetime ago.” Brian turned to look at Justin, amused. “Were you on something from Anita? Did he have a bag over his head?”

“He’s not that bad,” Justin mumbled. “It happened at one of those parties Daphne used to drag me to…you know, to meet people my own age.”

“Right. Was this the guy you kissed? The virgin?” Brian mock-gasped.

“Shhh,” Justin hissed, pulling Brian aside. “Please, behave. I’m not sure what gave it away, but yes.”

“I remember your stalker and how you kicked him out of the diner. You broke his widdle heart, and he gave you a place in the gallery where he has a show. And…and…wait! He became an artist because of you.”

“Christ, you’re such a jerk,” Justin mumbled.

“Oh, come on. You can’t expect me not to find this funny. Aw, look! He’s coming over.”

“Behave!” Justin put a wide smile on his face, greeting Matt. “Hi! I love your art!”

“Hi, Justin. You do? That means so much. Of course, it doesn’t compare with your stuff. You stole my show, but I don’t mind.”

Justin laughed nervously. “I didn’t expect this to happen.”

Brian cleared his throat loudly.

Justin rolled his eyes, tightening his arm around Brian’s elbow. “This is Brian, my partner. Brian, this is Matt.”

“Of course, the famous Matt with a big heart who gave you a spot in his show.”

Matt nodded emphatically, not sensing the sarcasm. “That would be me. I don’t even mind Justin is outshining me.” He turned to Justin, smiling. “You deserve your own show.”

Justin smiled indulgently. “Thank you, Matt. Uh…we have to mingle.”

“Of course.” With another wistful look at Justin, he departed.

“Christ. I hate repeating myself, but were the lights off when you fucked him? Was he gagged?”

“He was a sweet guy that night. Maybe it’s my fault he turned so pushy and needy…you know, for how I kicked him to the curb after we fucked.”

“Everyone, here stands Justin, the Martyr.” Brian rolled his eyes. “Have I taught you nothing?”

“Shut up, Brian. That was the old you. Hell, you were never heartless. You always had your rules to protect your heart. You knew love meant pain from your parents. I never blamed you for how you acted.”

Brian stared at Justin, amazed how well the man had read him from the beginning. It was little things like this one that Justin had silently acknowledged and accepted, which his life-long friends were still processing.

They stopped near one of Justin’s paintings where a small group was admiring it. One of the men from the group looked around and his eyes landed on Justin.

It made Justin want to flee because this was one of Ethan’s old friends from Pittsburgh. He wasn’t ready to face him, but Jeremy was smiling brightly and waving at Justin.

“Another loser you know?” Brian inquired, snorting.

“It’s one of Ethan’s old friends. Behave. He doesn’t know anything,” Justin explained.

“Justin! I thought the name was familiar when I read it. How have you been?” Jeremy came close to where Justin and Brian were standing. Then he noticed Brian, and eyed him curiously.

“Hi,” Justin said softly. “It’s been years. I’ve been busy.” Justin waved to his paintings. “You?”

“These are pretty amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of your stuff back then.” Jeremy glanced back at his group. “My team from work wanted to check the gallery, then I noticed your name.”

“Well…thank you for coming over.” Justin tightened his arm around Brian’s elbow, ready to steer him away.

Jeremy raised a hand, as if to stop Justin from leaving. “Uh, maybe you didn’t hear…or you don’t care anymore…” He glanced at Brian then back at Justin. “Ethan lost his studio. I haven’t heard from him in years. For a while he was in the park and I took him to my place as often as I could, but he wouldn’t accept my help.”

Justin cleared his throat, fighting the tears in his eyes. He turned to Brian, touching his chest. “Go to Nick. I’ll be right there.”

Brian pursed his lips, but spun on his heel and disappeared toward the refreshment table where the family had gathered.

“What’s up?” Jeremy asked, suspiciously.

Justin jerked his head toward a quieter section of the gallery. As they walked, he summed up the story of how he had met Ethan in the park and taken him to New York City where he used to live, and after a few details about their life there, Justin concluded with the sad news.

Jeremy gasped, cupping his mouth. “No!”

“I’m afraid it’s true. I still want to believe it was a drunk driver who ran him over, but the police said it was clearly a hate crime because he had multiple fractures. The car had gone over his body several times.”

“Jesus Christ!” Jeremy leaned against a wall, having gone pale. “I can’t believe it.”

“Trust me, it took me months to accept this.”

“When did it happen?”

“Around mid-February, and a week later I was back here. I couldn’t live there a minute longer.”

“Of course, I understand you. I see you found someone else,” Jeremy said, curiously.

“That’s Brian. You know…the same Brian, I left to be with Ethan.”

“Wow. He isn’t as bad as Ethan used to portray him, especially after you two ended things.”

Justin grimaced. “It’s complicated. I’ll let you go back to your friends. My whole family is here, and they’re probably going to send a search party after me,” he joked.

“It was really nice seeing you again. Good luck with your art. You deserve it.”

“Thank you.”

After shaking hands, Justin left Jeremy to process the sad news he had given him, while he went in search of his friends.

He found them easily.

Brian was chewing at an olive, picked from Michael’s glass.

Ben was in a deep conversation with Justin's mom and Ted.

Though, he couldn’t see his son.

“Where’s Nick?” Justin asked, stopping close to Brian.

“Debbie stole him,” Brian explained, spitting the olive pit in his hand.

“He was tired, and Ma offered to take him home. Your mom agreed, because she is busy in the morning.”

“I know, she only told me a hundred times we have to pick Nick at seven tomorrow,” Justin muttered, shooting his mother a dirty look. Of course, she was none the wiser.

“So, Ma took Nick home. He wanted to say good night to you, but we couldn’t see you,” Michael continued, sadly.

Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders. “I promised to kiss you for him,” he said, amused. Then, he leaned closer, slobbering Justin's cheek.

Justin laughed, feeling a little better about knowing where his son was, yet it stung he hadn’t been able to hug and kiss him before spending the night apart. Justin pushed Brian away playfully. “Nick isn’t so moist.”

Brian fake-gagged. “Can you not use that word? It makes my dick soft.”

“It’s true,” Justin insisted.

“It is,” Brian agreed seriously, somberly.

Michael snorted into his glass, at his friends’ exchange of words.

“Justin, we couldn’t find you. Debbie took Nick to her place so you’d be able to sleep in tomorrow,” Jennifer said, joining them.

“I remember. You’re busy in the morning. Don’t worry.” Justin patted her arm.

“So, we’re going…to be able to catch some sleep.”

“It’s barely eleven,” Brian said scandalized. “How much sleep do you need?”

“Me? Not much. Tuck is a grouch if he doesn’t sleep eight hours…and by the looks of it, we’re lucky if we’ll get a full six hours shut-eye.”

“What is it with youth these days?” Brian cried out.

Justin mock-punched his arm. “Sleeping at least seven hours per night is the ideal time recommended by doctors,” he said in a matter-of-fact voice.

“Don’t start your PSA propaganda,” Brian groaned.

Jennifer took Justin in her arms. “I’m so proud of you.”

Justin was taken by surprise, feeling overwhelmed by how much he had missed his mother. “Thank you, Mom. If you liked anything, just tell me which one. It’s yours.”

“No way. There is one painting Tuck liked, but we are buying it if it is still available.”

 

“No,” Justin insisted. “Which one? Nevermind, I’ll ask Tucker.” He knew, arguing with his mother was not the brightest idea.