- Text Size +

 

 

After the most relaxing and fun-filled couple of weeks, their vacation had come to an abrupt end. The wake-up to reality happened on the way back when Nick realized how close to Disneyland he was.

Despite Brian's warnings and Justin's knowledge of how crowded the park got, he caved and convinced Brian to make a detour to Orlando.

Gus was all for staying in the car, but Brian told him to come along because someone had to keep an eye on Nick. Justin knew Brian wasn’t going to be able to take care of both Nick and Justin, but he had hoped nothing could trigger his panic attack on a Tuesday morning.

Of course, the park was as packed as expected, especially the hottest spots for children.

They managed to ride only a couple of games, before going to check out the food area. This was where Justin felt like he was going to suffocate and there seemed to be no escape from the crowd. He was vaguely aware of Brian handing Gus his credit card and telling him to bring Nick to the car after getting food.

All Justin could focus on was Brian's arms around him as they made their way through the masses. He could heard Brian trying to calm him, but he couldn’t pay attention to the words.

Only when they reached the Jeep, and Brian helped Justin in the passenger seat, muttering under his breath – these words, Justin could hear clearly. Brian was upset with how utterly stupid Justin had been.

“I’m sorry,” Justin managed to mumble.

“Next time, you better listen to me.”

It took another hour for Gus and Nick to return to the car.

They ate in silence, before continuing their journey home.

Justin had fallen asleep after accepting a Xanax from Brian, without even questioning why he had such a pill on him.

He was brutally jerked awake by the car coming to an abrupt stop as Brian gripped the steering wheel to keep the car right on the road. It was dark outside.

“What happened?” Gus gasped.

A second later Nick started crying loudly, and Justin fought with his seatbelt, turning to check if his son had been injured. He appeared to be still tightly strapped to his seat, only shaken.

“It’s okay, baby. What happened, Brian?” He patted Nick’s leg, turning to meet Brian's eyes.

“I drove over something and I think we have a punctured tyre.”

“Christ.”

“You okay, Gus?” Brian caught his eyes in the rearview mirror.

“Yeah. It looked like gravel. I was looking out the window.”

“Whatever it was, I’m going to check the tyres and the car,” Brian said, getting out.

Justin turned the interior light on, looking for his phone, which had fallen from his lap during the harsh stop.

Brian knocked on his window, jerking his head, motioning for Justin to join him outside.

“Stay put,” Justin said to Nick, as he left the car. “What is it?”

Brian pointed to the back tyre, slashed out. “It wasn’t gravel, and I don’t even care what it was, at this point.” He looked up at the night sky, glaring at it.

“Well…do you have a spare?”

“Do you know how to change a tyre?” Brian challenged.

“Don’t you? Wait, I remember Emmett's story from when you came after me in New York,” Justin snorted.

“Laugh away, Taylor.”

“So, spare tyre? You’re helping me since we don’t have Emmett around to do it for you. I can’t believe Emmett knows how to change a tyre, and you don’t! He doesn’t even own a car.”

“Stop gloating. I never bothered to learn this, because I could always call for help. The upside? The mechanic who came to assist me with my little problem got a tip he most-likely never forgot.” Brian winked.

“I bet it was more than the tip,” Justin teased, following Brian to the back of the car to get the spare. “And the tool box,” Justin said over his shoulder, as he rolled the tyre to the right rear side.

“You took it out so we could fit all the bags, remember?” Brian pointed out.

“That was the tool box?” Justin leaned against the side of the car. “Why did you have your tools in a leather box? I thought you kept your spare toys in there.”

“In the car?” Brian lifted a brow, amused at Justin's overactive imagination.

“Well…we’re fucked.”

“We’re actually thirty minutes from home,” Brian explained. “Let me call Honeycutt since he’s an expert at changing tyres.”

“It’s…like…” Justin checked his phone. “It’s one in the morning, Brian. Be reasonable.”

“Would you walk home?”

“We can call a tow company.”

Brian rolled his eyes, already dialing Emmett's number. He walked several feet away, pacing.

Justin rounded the car, gesturing for Gus to roll his window down. “We’re stuck here until Emmett comes to rescues us.”

“Why can’t you guys change the tyre on your own?” Justin could guess that Lindsay and Melanie never had such a ridiculous problem, and they had taken matters in their own hands. Justin would have done the handiwork himself if they had a tool box.

“I’m sure you heard the conversation I was having with your dad. I took out the tool box when I had to make sure all our bags fit in the trunk.”

Trunk,” Gus huffed. “Three of me could fit casually in that place.”

“We had many bags. And now we have even more.” Justin pointed to the ones stowed between the front seats and the backseat bench.

Brian joined them, touching the small of Justin's back. “Emmett and Drew are coming over.”

“I’m thirsty,” Nick announced loudly.

“Did you drink all your juice from earlier?” Brian asked.

“Yes.”

“What juice?” Justin asked, curiously.

“We stopped for a refill in a gas station and I got everyone snacks and juice. I got you a water, though.”

“Do you want my water?” Justin offer, going in the driver’s seat to search for the bottle Brian was talking about. When he found it, he uncapped it and handed it to Nick. “Let me know if you want to pee after drinking so much.”

“I’m good,” Nick mumbled.

Justin climbed out and closed the door, going to Brian who was leaning against the back of the car. He had a foot on the protection bar, smoking, and staring at the clear sky.

“How are you feeling?” Brian whispered, pulling Justin closer.

“Much better. I was an idiot,” Justin admitted.

“You were. And I was a bigger idiot to allow it to happen. I know you wanted Nick to have fun and see how Disneyland was…”

“At least, he had a blast,” Justin said quietly, taking the box of cigarettes from Brian's hand. Justin shook one out and lit it, taking a pull. “I fucking hate not being able to enjoy these things with him.”

“I’m curious how you managed at the Pride Parade in New York, now that I know how badly crowds still affect you.” Brian picked the cigarette from Justin's fingers.

“We marched with the other parents, and escaped as soon as Nick complained about being tired or hungry…which was fast,” Justin joked. “Maybe next year we’ll go to New York for the parade. It’s different, trust me. If you’re with the correct group, it’s not as chaotic.”

“You mean the ones with the noose around their necks?” Brian grimaced.

Justin retrieved his cigarette. “Not necessarily. Not all couples are married, many of them are co-parenting.”

“Huh. I figured everyone had rushed to the city hall since gay marriages are recognized in NY.”

“Come on, Brian. You know better than anyone else…not everyone wants a piece of paper to tie them together forever.”

“So that’s no longer a dream of yours?” Brian checked, accepted the cigarette.

Justin shrugged. “Light years away,” he teased, meeting Brian's eyes. “And only if it’s something you want. I don’t want you to take this step for me, or worse, because of me.”

“Okay, okay. I get it. But do you still want this?” Brian insisted.

“Truth?” Justin leaned into Brian's side, touching his chest. “It makes life easier due to different names bureaucracy.”

“Justin,” Brian groaned, because he was stalling.

Justin titled his head to find Brian's amused, hazel eyes. “I’m afraid. This is something I’ve wanted for all my life…I mean, being your husband…but I’m afraid we’ve waited for too long and I’m worried it won’t mean anything at the end.”

Brian gasped. “As you know, marriage was never something I wanted, but you made me see the advantages…the bright side of this whole ordeal.”

Justin chuckled. “Somehow, I feel like you want this more than me, which is funny.”

“I want to join in the talks at the water cooler about what restaurant I sampled with my husband, what new ways I managed to upset my husband, how we made up and the hot sex we had…”

Justin threw his head back, laughing loudly. “I knew you had an ulterior motive.”

Brian grinned, catching Justin's lips in a deep kiss. “I want to be your husband,” he whispered against Justin's mouth.

“Fuck,” Justin whimpered, pressing against Brian's front. “You really have a way to propose to me.”

Brian combed his fingers through Justin's hair. “This is not me proposing …it’s just a statement. Trust me, you will know when I propose to you.”

A loud honk made them pull apart, when Justin was ready to fall to his knees and hope no one, especially not the kids, would catch them. They turned to see Drew’s Hummer pulling up on the opposite lane.

“Hey, lovebirds!” Emmett chirped, skipping across the road.

“You’re a life-saver! Thank you so much for coming at this time of night,” Justin said, going to hug their friend.

“No need to worry. I’m part-time mechanic, too,” Emmett joked.

“Hey, guys!” Drew joined them with his tool box.

“This way,” Brian said, leading Drew to the other side of the car.

Emmett went to greet the children, while Justin went to check if Brian and Drew needed help.

“Can you take Gus and Nick out of the car?” Brian asked quietly.

“Sure.”

“Take them to my car if they’re tired,” Drew offered, already taking a jack out of his tool box.

With Emmett's help, Justin moved Nick and Gus to Drew’s car. Nick had fallen asleep, and Gus wasn’t far behind from nodding off. Justin kept Emmett from going back to their men, grabbing his elbow.

“Uh, remember when Brian joked about you finding your notes about our fluke of a weeding?”

“No way!” Emmett cupped his mouth.

“He kept hinting at it, but I was sure it was one of his jokes…but the more he brings it in discussions, the more I believe he means it. He didn’t ask me, well…not in so many words, and he said I’d know when he proposed again…”

“Oh, baby!” Emmett threw his arms around Justin. “Of course, I still have your notes.”

“Great. I might surprise him and be the one to ask him, since he’s so adamant about getting married,” Justin said, joyfully.

“I’ll bet Brian will be shocked.”

“Yeah, but I think this is something he wants to do…so I won’t steal his show,” Justin decided. “You just be prepared.” Justin winked.

“Whenever you stopped flirting with Honeycutt, get your ass here. We need help,” Brian shouted from around the Jeep.

“Jealous much?” Emmett teased.

“I don’t do jealousy,” Brian snapped. “Piece of shit.” He kicked at the tyre, which didn’t want to be pulled off the hub.

“Did you take off the nuts?” Justin asked, crouching next to Brian to check what he had done wrong.

“I did,” Drew said from a few feet away. “And we have another problem. My jack broke, and I have to keep it with my hand to hold the car up.”

“Move away.” Emmett waved at Brian and Justin.

He had the old tyre out and the new one in place faster than anyone expected. He was screwing in the bolts and lug nuts when Gus called from Drew’s car that Nick was awake and wanted Justin.

Justin wiped his dirty hands on his jeans and sprinted across the empty street to the Hummer. He climbed in the backseat, hugging his son.

“I’m here, kiddo. Brian's car needed a tyre change.”

“Where are we?” Nick mumbled, burrowing closer into Justin's chest. “It’s so hot.”

“Yeah, well…it’s July. What did you expect? We’re going home soon, and we’ll have the AC on, okay?”

Gus yawned loudly. “Yeah, summers here are brutal.”

“You haven’t experiences summers in New York,” Justin told him, amused. “You feel like you’re melting.”

“Gross.”

Emmett came over, opening the back door and clapping. “All done! You can go home. Brian promised I could throw you a ‘welcome back’ party for saving your asses.”

Justin grimaced. “Nothing too much…”

“You know me.”

“That’s why I’m afraid,” Justin joked. He picked Nick up, carrying him back to the Jeep. He clung to Justin, not allowing him to move away. When Gus joined them, Justin steered him to the passenger seat.

“Think you can talk Emmett out of the party I agreed for him to throw us?” Brian asked, once he got behind the steering wheel.

“He was so excited when he told me what you agreed to…” Justin teased.

“Fuck. Fine, we’ll suffer.”

“We have to share with them pictures and stories,” Justin said, amused.

“I hope this party will be after I return to Toronto,” Gus quipped.

“Don’t be a party-pooper. We’ll need your input for when you babysat Nick,” Brian admonished him lightly.

“I’m sure everyone will be so happy to hear you left Nick with me while you went to clubs every night.”

“We didn’t go every night,” Justin retorted, before Brian could point out how Gus wasn’t old enough to join them to the clubs.

“Yeah, even if you stayed in, I had to keep him from coming over. As big as that place was…it wasn’t soundproof,” Gus groaned.

“Don’t tell your moms,” Brian said hurriedly. “They’ll never allow you to visit again.”

“Don’t worry. I didn’t mind keeping Nick company. He’s such a sweet kid. Compared to Jenny…I would have preferred to have him as a younger brother growing up.”

“We covered that she’s the devil’s spawn. Between Melanie and Michael…what did you expect?” Brian laughed.

“At least, she got better as she grew older…somewhat,” Gus mumbled.

“I know exactly how you feel, Gus. I resented my sister for years. I was older than you when I started accepting her, if that helps. Which reminds me, I have to return Molly’s call and meet up now that she has returned to Pittsburgh.”

“Oh, right. She called the other day,” Brian remembered.

“Yeah, and I cut her short because you were an idiot in the ocean with Nick.”

“He was having fun. You’re just paranoid.”