- Text Size +

 

 

“I’ll come get you from Kinnetik as soon as I’m done with my sister,” Justin told Nick.

“Why can’t I come with you?” The little boy pouted.

“Because your dad hasn’t seen his sister in years and he needs to do this alone,” Brian interjected. “Come on, you can stay in my office and color, or in the daycare with the other kids.”

Nick perked up when he heard he could stay with Brian. “Okay.”

Justin relaxed, knowing his son accepted the situation. He turned to Brian, who was playing with the car keys.

“Thank you. This shouldn’t take long. I should be back around lunchtime. Want me to get something?”

“Whatever you want. And don’t worry about Nick.”

Justin grinned, wrapping his arms around Brian and kissing him soundly. Brian held Justin close, deepening the kiss.

“What sort of behavior is this in front of the child?” Ted tsked, stopping next to them.

Justin glanced at Nick who was watching them with a big smile. The kid probably still believed he had played matchmaker and convinced Brian to date his dad and make him happy.

“You’re late. Do you want me to fire you for tardiness?” Brian jested.

“We stayed up late. It was my thirteenth anniversary,” Ted admitted.

Brian clapped his back. “Promise to throw a big bash for Sweet Sixteen?”

“I’ll have to ask Emmett.”

“Thirteenth anniversary? Since you first met Blake?” Justin asked, confused.

“I first met Blake around the time you met Brian. No, I’ve been sober for thirteen years,” Ted explained.

“Oh. Crap. I’m an idiot,” Justin mumbled, because he hadn’t thought of that. He had even managed to forget the trouble Ted had been through, but he hadn’t been around their group much back then because he was dating Ethan.

“Go, before you’re late, too. Your sister will report to Mother Taylor about how lazy you are.” Brian shoved Justin playfully.

“She will never,” Justin claimed, but crouched to hug Nick and kiss his forehead. “See you soon, baby.”

“Bye, Daddy!”

Justin waved to Brian and Ted, heading toward the mouth of the alley into the main street. Molly had chosen a coffee shop just off Liberty Avenue, and Justin was grateful for it.

He had never been to this particular coffee house, but it looked fancy from outside. It had a bohemian air with white walls and intricate trims.

Justin climbed the steps to the main entrance, and stepped inside through double French doors, looking around.

The place wasn’t crowded, and it wasn’t difficult to spot Molly. What made him feel faint was the person at her side. His mom had told him on several occasions that Molly had a boyfriend, but she didn’t know who he was.

Justin wished for a sign to tell him he was seeing things, because someone would leave in tears from this place. The person beside his sister was none other than his number one enemy – Chris motherfucking Hobbs.

“Justin!” Molly skipped to him, meeting him in the middle of the room.

Justin hugged her by instinct, but he kept his eyes on Hobbs, who had paled. He was curious how they could escape this sticky situation. He had to get his sister alone and tell her the truth.

No one had talked about Justin's near-death experience with her. Sure, she knew that Justin had been in the hospital, then he had extremely volatile behavior once he was out, but no one had told Molly what had happened, who had caused him to act like that.

“Mollusk,” he said quietly, hugging her tightly. “It’s been ages.” He chose to focus on having his sister close after what felt like centuries.

“I wanted to visit you in New York, but Mom didn’t allow me. And then…with college and classes in the way, I couldn’t escape. And I lost hope in Dad ever buying me a car…”

“What,” Justin spat. “Don’t tell me that piece of shit isn’t doing his part of the deal.”

“Don’t get upset. Forget it. Come, meet my boyfriend.” She took his hand, pulling him to the table.

Hobbs winced, and Justin could clearly remember their last encounter. Justin was also pleased to realize none of his old feelings were present. There was no fear or anxiety, only loathing that grew in intensity the longer he stared at his basher.

“Molly, I can’t,” Justin said abruptly.

“What? You have to go already?” She sounded heartbroken.

“I will go,” Hobbs offered.

“Don’t do this. You promised to stay with me when I tell Justin,” Molly protested, turning to him.

Hobbs got up and came to stand by Molly’s side. He glanced at Justin, before focusing on her. “There’s no easy way to say it…and I’m sure Justin will appreciate if I make the first step here. I told you I once did a terrible thing in high school…how I put someone in the hospital because I was a complete moron back then.”

Justin bit his cheek to comment, because Hobbs had been more than a moron. He would have been charged with attempt murder if he were eighteen, but he wasn’t, so he ended up mopping floors at the community center.

“Yeah, but you’ve changed,” Molly insisted. “Why are you even bringing that in discussion?” she added slowly.

“Because he almost killed me on Prom,” Justin said in a steady voice, but he suddenly felt as if the room was spinning. He gripped the back of the nearest chair.

Molly took a step back. “No! No, this can’t…it’s not…”

“You never showed me a picture of your brother, but it did cross my mind once or twice that it could be the same Justin I knew. I mean the family name and him being a painter added up…” Hobbs continued. “That’s why I told you the story. I didn’t tell you any names, because I was scared.”

“Oh, God.” Molly’s wet eyes met Justin's. “I’m sorry, Jus.”

“You didn’t know. And yeah, this is fucked up…”

“I’ll let you talk to him. Then…we’ll have a talk later, if you want,” Hobbs said slowly, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Of course, I want! This whole thing is insane!” Molly threw her hands in the air.

Hobbs cleared his throat, turning to face Justin. Justin narrowed his eyes at him, feeling his defense walls raising because he wasn’t sure what to expect. A million memories flashed before his eyes – the times Hobbs had shoved him in the school hallways, when Justin used to watch Hobbs practice for his football games, when Justin had given him a hand job, and his still freshly recovered memory…when Hobbs had noticed Brian crashing their Prom and coming to dance with Justin…and then the hateful act he had committed in the garage.

“I’m really sorry, Justin. I don’t think I ever properly apologized…not like my words will ever make it better.”

Justin was rendered speechless, because he hadn’t expected to hear those exact words from Hobbs. “Whatever,” he muttered.

Hobbs headed to the door, but Molly called his name, and Justin hoped she wouldn’t make him stay. She hurried to where he had stopped, and they exchanged soft words, and he handed her a set of keys before kissing her, and leaving.

Justin hadn’t meant to stare for that long, but by witnessing their body-language and the way he had kissed her, it was clear they were in love.

“Oh, Justin,” Molly moaned, joining him. “Oh, God…this sucks. Shit, what am I going to do?”

Justin slumped in one of the chairs, pulling the closest one out for Molly to sit in. “You can say again that this sucks.”

“I was hoping for a casual morning, catching up. I actually expected you’d bring Brian, that’s why I insisted for Christ to join me.”

Justin choked on his spit. “You should be so happy it is only me. If Brian had seen Hobbs, it wouldn’t have ended well.”

“Damn…Our plan was to see Mom this evening,” she mumbled.

Justin scrubbed his face. “How serious is it?”

“It doesn’t even matter at this point. I won’t hurt you like this.”

“Molly, I know someone in love when I see them. And as much as I hate Hobbs, I could tell that you’re both in love. He looks completely changed, too.” Justin stared at his hands, unsure what the best decision was in their situation.

He couldn’t forbid his sister to see Hobbs, yet he knew that if they kept dating the tension in the family would grow until someone snapped. And it would end in Molly being hurt no matter what decision would be taken.

“Just tell me…how serious?” Justin insisted.

Tears sprung in Molly’s eyes. “We wanted to get married. Uh…I’m pregnant.”

“Fuck,” Justin spat, leaning back in the chair. “Shit. Fuck, Molly.”

“We covered it…it’s fucked up.” She managed a small smile.

“That’s why you came back home?”

“I came back because I finished college. Chris opened his own construction company a couple of years ago, and I decided to help him until he could find people. Yeah, we’re in love…I love him a lot, Justin. And this other thing…I found out last week when we returned. It wasn’t planned, or anything.”

“Christ. Let’s catch up and find the best plan to tell Mom,” he decided. “Did you order?”

“We were waiting for you…” she whispered.

“What sort of coffee do you like? I’ll get for both of us.” He stood, cupping her shoulder.

“Black tea, please.”

“Mom would be proud of your WASPy behavior.”

Molly huffed. “That’s what Chris tells me when I order tea at a coffee house.”

“I hate to agree with him, but it can’t get more posh than that,” Justin teased, heading to the counter.

.

.

.

After catching up for a couple of hours, and touching the dreaded subject of the gravity of what had happened to Justin on his Prom, they chose to call their mother and meet her at a restaurant downtown.

When they climbed down the stairs of the coffee house, Justin was about to point out they didn’t have a car and he hated public transport, but Molly led him to a white Mercedes.

“Remember how I mentioned I lost hope in Dad ever getting me a car? Well, this was a gift from Chris for coming home and also an engagement present.”

Justin whistled. “Fancy.”

“It’s not just mine…it’s ours. He had to change his old car, and we chose this. I wanted it white.”

“Good luck becoming a frequent visitor at the car wash,” Justin snorted, getting in the passenger seat.

The car still smelled of new and all leather and wood. It was so modern and expensive looking that he didn’t want to know how much it had cost. It also proved Hobbs was loaded.

“I’m going to call Chris about this change of plans…” she said, unsure.

“Go ahead. I also have to call Brian and tell him I’m doing lunch with you and Mom.”

It turned out Brian was in a meeting, and his new assistant, Damian, promised to rely the message. Damian also assured Justin that Nick was alright and currently napping on the sofa in Brian's office.

Justin caught the end of Molly’s conversation with Hobbs, where she promised to pick him from wherever he was when she was done.

“Look, Molly…” Justin said quietly, once she hung up. “I don’t want Mom to influence your decision. As insane as this situation is…I will never attempt to break you up. I know how it is for people to disagree with my relationship, and I’d hate to be the bad guy and tell you who you should date…marry…have a child with…”

“But it hurts you,” she protested.

“Judging by what you told me, he’s nothing like I know. Of course, I will always see him in a certain way, but if he makes you happy, I don’t care about the past.”

Molly shot him an incredulous look, as she started driving toward the restaurant they were meeting Jennifer.

“Okay, I care…but I’ve recently decided to leave the past where it belongs and embrace the present and the future. That’s all that matters.”

She pursed her lips. “Mom will go ballistic.”

“Don’t expect her to be as understanding as me. God knows how long it took her to accept my relationship with Brian.”

“But it’s different! Brian didn’t try to kill anyone.”

Justin winced. “I’m still shocked Hobbs told you about this part of his past.”

“Like he said, he never told me any names. Maybe if he had…we wouldn’t be here. I’ve been seeing him for over three years, Justin. Of course, I talked a lot about you…but I didn’t have a picture of you,” Molly explained.

Justin sighed loudly, trying not to think of what ifs, because the reality was that he had to learn to accept who made his little sister happy. “I promise to be on your side if Mom starts screaming.”

“I don’t deserve you, Jus.”

“Shut up, and focus on the road. Remind me to never get in a car with you.”

“I’m a good driver,” she defended her atrocious driving skills.

“Whoever told you that is a damn good liar…or he loves you too much to comment on how he probably shits his pants whenever he drives with you,” Justin commented, amused.

Molly got a thoughtful look. “You know, now that you mentioned it…Chris rarely lets me drive. I thought it was sweet that he wanted to be the one behind the wheel.”

“He probably wants to live to see another day too much to allow you to drive. Watch out! It’s red,” Justin groaned. “Christ. You’re making me want to walk across town.”

Molly made sure the doors were locked. “You’re not escaping. And from now on I’m driving everywhere.”

“There are other ways to off your boyfriend…fiancé.”

“Justin,” she gasped, scandalized.

“What? Just saying,” he teased. “I’m sure Mom and Brian would be happy to assist with that task.”

“Don’t remind me how everyone will probably consider me a monster for dating…wanting to marry the man who had tried to kill my brother.”

“And I’ll be your bodyguard. Though, as much as I hate this…I would like to have a chat with that asshole…in private.” Justin knew if he managed to have a decent conversation with Hobbs where they put the past to rest and all the hatred and fear and anxiety they had caused each other, they might come to a common agreement to accept the situation.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Molly checked, meeting his eyes.

“No,” Justin admitted with a laugh. “But it’s something I have to do. And I’ll bet Hobbs wants it, too.”

“He mentioned he would like to talk to you,” she said quietly.

 

“Good.”

Chapter End Notes:

Hold the pitchforks I'm sure you want to throw at me. =)