- Text Size +

 

 

It was several weeks later when Brian picked Nick from school, then went to collect Justin from the gallery where he was preparing a show.

Justin complained loudly about being taken away from organizing his paintings which would be displayed that weekend.

Brian ignored him, keeping his attention on driving.

“Where are we going?” Justin asked suddenly, when he noticed the unknown route Brian had taken.

“It’s called a surprise.”

After touching the subject of what dog would Nick like, and getting the same answer…just a dog, and after thinking of what breed would be best for them, Brian had found a few options at the biggest adoption center in Pittsburgh.

He had spent only a few minutes on their website, because it was heartbreaking to look at the sad dogs, expecting to find a forever home.

He had his eyes on a Shepherd, but it would be Nick who chose the dog.

“WOW!” Nick cried out when they stopped at the gates of the vast property. “We’re getting the D!”

Justin covered his face, and Brian chuckled. “Isn’t this what you’ve been asking for about a year now?” Brian asked, unbuckling his seat belt.

“Yessss!” Nick wrapped his little arms around Brian's neck, nearly toppling over between the front seats. “You’re the best dad!”

“What the fuck am I here? Chopped meat?” Justin huffed.

Nick peppered kisses on Brian's cheek, squeezing him tightly. “You wouldn’t get me a dog. Brian did.”

Justin gasped, throwing his hands in the air.

“That’s not true, Nick. Remember how we all discussed this?” Brian said gently, not sure if Justin was indeed upset.

“Can we go inside?” Nick asked, excitedly.

They piled out of the car. Nick skipped ahead of them, and Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders.

“Is this such a good idea, Brian? We decided to wait on the horses because of the wedding.”

“Yeah, well…after our chats with Nick regarding the D-Thing, I got so invested I’ve been researching a lot of shit on dogs.”

Justin smiled warmly, taking his hand. “I can’t believe Brian Kinney is willingly getting a dog.”

“Shut up, you. Here’s my promise to you – I will help with everything regarding the dog. You won’t do it on your own.”

“Let me get my phone out and record you,” Justin joked.

“Don’t be a twat.”

They reached the reception area, and after talking to the young man about the reason behind their visit, they were led to a vast room filled with large crates. The man explained how all crates had a back door which led to the yard outside, but at the moment, all dogs were inside, because it was dinner time.

Nick ran from crate window to crate window, staring inside at the different breeds.

Brian and Justin walked several feet behind him, looking around, but they allowed Nick to be the one to choose.

The caretaker waited for them to make a few rounds of the room.

“Well, do you like any of them?” Justin asked, watching a sad, old dog inside the crate to his left.

“We also have a few puppies,” the caretaker said, waving to a side of the room they hadn’t gone to.

“Puppies!” Nick barreled in that direction.

Justin grimaced, and Brian squeezed his hand. “I think it’s best if it’s a puppy. They’ll grow up together,” Brian suggested.

“It’s not that. It’s…someone threw away goddamn puppies. That should be a crime,” Justin mumbled.

They found Nick glued to a crate window, staring in awe at a black orb of fur. “This,” he whispered. “This one.”

“That’s not a puppy,” Brian complained.

“It is,” the caretakers joined them. “It’s a Newfoundland dog. This fellow is about four months old male. His previous owner got him when he was barely two months old, which is clearly illegal. When he realized how big the puppy was getting…he brought him here.”

“Newfoundland,” Justin repeated. “These dogs are like bears, right?”

“Yes,” the caretaker nodded. “So, please think twice before you agree to something like this. We’d hate to see him returning here in a few weeks. It’s happened before with other dogs.”

“If Nick wants this dog…” Brian shrugged.

Justin turned to stare at him in horror. “This thing will be bigger than you when he reaches maturity.”

“I know, Justin.” Brian stepped closer to Nick who was tapping the glass while the puppy licked it from the inside. “Do you like this one, Nick?”

“Yes. Can we get him? Please?” Nick spun to look at his daddy. “Please, Daddy.”

Justin sighed loudly. “Oh, what the hell. Can we see him closer?” He turned to the caretaker.

The man brought over a slip lead, then opened a side door and coaxed the dog out. After having the lead over his head, he brought him closer.

Nick fell to his knee, petting the dog enthusiastically, and the dog sniffed him before licking his cheek.

“Aw, look, Daddy. He likes me.”

“I guess, we’re taking him,” Brian said quietly. He joined Nick and the dog, reaching out to stroke the puppy’s black fur. It felt tangled up at touch, but he could bet no one had cared for the poor thing to groom him.

“So, do you have a name for him?” Justin crouched on Nick’s other side, allowing the puppy to sniff his hand.

“Tank.”

“Tank?” Justin repeated.

“He’s big like a tank,” Nick said seriously.

“Honey, he’ll get a lot bigger. Tank is a good name,” Justin agreed.

To prove that Tank was a big dog, he raised on his back legs and reached up to lick Justin's face. He was already taller than Nick.

“Okay, so we’re taking…Tank,” Brian said, looking at the caretaker.

The man smiled brightly. “I rarely see such a united family who comes to adopt. I’m sure he’ll be happy in your family.”

“Thank you,” Brian said, wrapping an arm around Nick’s shoulders.

Justin placed the end of the slip lead into his son’s hand. “Take him, baby. Just hold tightly.”

“Don’t worry about his pulling or anything. He’s such a chill dog,” the caretaker said, walking them back to the reception area.

Tank walked besides Nick, sniffing at the ground and wagging his tail. Brian smiled at the picture. He imagined the dog could smell his freedom.

After signing adoption papers, they left the place.

Tank stopped right outside the gates, squatting down, and Nick stared at him, worried.

“We’re going home. Don’t be scared,” he told the dog, as if the animal understood.

Brian realized, they had to have a chat with Nick about Tank being a dog who wouldn’t understand his human talk, apart from some firm orders used in training him.

“He’s peeing,” Justin stated. “I guess he’s still too young to lift his leg.”

Brian noticed a considerable puddle under the dog. “Uh, there’s a blanket in the trunk. Please put it on the floor in the back.”

Justin rolled his eyes, but did as Brian said. Then Justin held the door open, guiding the dog inside.

It took him a few tries to jump, but then he curled on the soft blanket, turning into a black orb. Nick climbed after him, smiling brightly at the puppy.

Justin closed the door, turning to look at Brian, pursing his lips. “You’re such a softie.”

“Shut up. I’m trying not to envision how I will step on him during the night.”

“Why would you do something like that?” Justin gasped.

“Because he’s a black void,” Brian pointed out.

“That’s so mean…and so racist.”

“It’s a dog, Justin. But I could tell you about the time I fucked this man at the White Party some years ago. His skin was so dark, I was grateful for the fluorescent paint on his body, or I wouldn’t have found his ass in the darkness.”

Justin slapped Brian's arm. “Why am I friends with you, again?”

“You’re more than my friend. We’re getting married,” Brian said, jovially.

“For unknown reasons,” Justin grinned, bringing Brian's head closer to kiss him.

“We have to stop at the pet store and get him food, toys, the usual.”

“How about a vet trip first? I don’t know anything about dogs…especially this giant breed.”

“You’re in luck. I’m a step ahead of you. I already made an appointment for six o’clock.” Brian checked his phone. “Which is in fifteen minutes, so we better hurry.”

Justin opened the passenger door, smiling. “So you were sure we were getting a dog today?”

“Pretty sure, yeah.” Brian pecked his lips, before round the car to get behind the wheel. He glanced back to see Nick leaning down to pet the puppy. Like Brian had feared, he couldn’t even see the thing.

.

.

.

It was late in the evening when they arrived home, after visiting the vet and the pet store.

Nick disappeared into the living room with Tank, while Justin and Brian unloaded their purchases in the kitchen. Brian dumped the large food bag by the pantry, cracking his back and wincing.

“I told you to let me help,” Justin said anxiously. “Did you hurt yourself?”

“No. I’m not some old fart.”

“Brian, that bag is huge…and it will probably last less than a month.” Justin took out the new set of bowls, taking them to the sink to wash them.

“I can handle it. I press more than that at the gym,” Brian reminded him. “We need to set some rules now, before it’s too late.”

“Like what?” Justin pulled up his sleeves so he could clean the bowls.

“Not allowing the dog in bed, or in our rooms?”

“Okay, the rule about the bed is good. Also, maybe not on the couch, either.” Justin glanced at Brian over his shoulder. “I don’t think you can keep him out of Nick’s room. We can even place one of the beds we got him at the foot of Nick’s bed. You know? To show them how they each have a place to sleep together.”

“That’s not a bad idea.”

“Uh-huh! We have a problem,” Nick said urgently, running into the kitchen.

“If he peed on the carpet…” Brian stomped toward the living room.

“What happened?” Justin asked, worried. He followed his son, not sure what to expect in the living room.

He found Brian holding the puppy in the blanket they kept on the couch. They were by the fireplace. The carpet was filled ash dirt.

“It’s bath time,” Brian muttered.

“What happened?” Justin repeated, staring at the carpet. He had no idea how to clean that mess.

“Tank went to sniff at the fireplace, then jumped inside and rolled around,” Nick explained.

“Christ. Let’s help Brian clean Tank.”

They used the shower cabin downstairs, and Tank proved to accept his fate easier than anyone expected.

“I’m going to call Mom and ask how to clean the carpet,” Justin offered, when he realized Brian had the dog’s bath under control.

“Roll it up. I’ll take it to the cleaning store on Monday,” Brian said. “But we need some towels to dry Tank.”

“Get the blue towels from the linen cabinet,” Justin instructed Nick. Justin was happy to finally find a good use to those terrible towels he had gotten the other month. They felt all wrong on the skin and he generally hated them, but he hadn’t trashed them.

After taking the rolled-up carpet into the garage, Justin found Brian in the kitchen with Nick and Tank. Brian was showing Nick how much food Tank needed, as per the instructions on the bag.

Brian filled one of the bowls with kibble, then walked around the kitchen, looking for a good spot to place the bowl.

Justin stifled his laughter when the puppy followed him, staring at the bowl, yapping loudly when Brian didn’t seem to put the bowl down fast enough. Brian shot the dog an annoyed look, then placed the food by the door leading to the porch.

Tank dove into the bowl, chewing happily.

Justin brought over the other bowl filled with fresh water.

Nick sat down next to Tank, watching him eating.

“How about we eat something too?” Justin suggested.

“Nothing for me,” Brian said softly. “I’m going to change out of these wet clothes.”

Justin realized only then that Brian was still dressed in his designer suit. He had washed the puppy wearing Armani, which said a lot about the whole thing.

“You sure?” Justin insisted.

“Yeah. I had a late lunch with a client.”

“Okay.” Justin reached over to touch the small of Brian's back. “Nick, come on. Let the dog eat. We have to change out of the outside clothes, as well, and then it’s dinner time.”

.

.

.

It was much later, when Justin made it to their bedroom.

It had taken a lot of convincing on his side to get Nick to understand that Tank had fallen asleep in his pet bed in the living room. Brian had insisted on buy three beds for the dog, and they weren’t exactly cheap. Good thing was the dog loved the one he had discovered installed by the fireplace.

Justin made sure to close the gate to the fireplace, hoping the dog would learn that was not a place to play in again.

He found Brian on his laptop, with all the pillows behind his back.

“Is your back hurting?” Justin asked softly.

“I’ll be fine. I took a Tylenol earlier.”

“I could rub your back,” Justin offered on his way to the bathroom.

After a quick shower, he applied some of Brian's face cream on his chin and nose, then returned to the bedroom, rubbing the cream on his skin.

“Get this,” Brian said conversantly. “Average weight is between one-hundred-thirty and one-hundred-fifty…almost as heavy as you.”

Justin smiled, climbing in bed next to Brian. “I can’t believe you’re researching Newfoundland dogs.”

“We have one now. They’re widely known as Newfies, since the full name is a fucking mouthful. Better to know what to expect. It’s a good thing they’re very good with children and affectionate with family. They’re also lazy as fuck, according to this website.”

Justin pressed his lips to Brian's throat. “I love you.”

Brian placed the laptop on the nightstand, guiding Justin's head lower. “I’m sure you can find other ways to thank me.”

“Don’t be an asshole,” Justin said against Brian's shoulder, placing soft kisses on his skin.

“Also, we should watch his calories. I was just reading how this breed tends to gain fast.”

“A thing you have in common,” Justin chuckled.

“Now that the weather is nicer, I might start jogging. Maybe I’ll take him with me.”

“Thank you…for accepting this and for actually getting a dog for Nick.”

“Come on, Justin. It could have been worse, but since I’ve embraced this domestic life, I understood the importance of a dog in a family’s life,” Brian said, combing his fingers through Justin's wet locks.

“You’re so full of shit. You just got tired of hearing Nick whining about the D-Thing.”

Brian pursed his lips. “My D is hard. You’ve got to be kidding,” he groaned, when the puppy started yapping loudly.

Justin nearly fell out of the bed, as he hurried to get out of the room and downstairs before the dog could wake Nick. Sadly, Nick was already in his doorway, when Justin opened the door of their bedroom.

“What’s wrong, Daddy?” he asked, sleepily.

“He’s probably not used to sleep alone. Go back to bed.” Justin went downstairs to find the dog had climbed several steps. He waved his tail eagerly when he spotted Justin. “Come here, you big fluff.”

Justin took Tank in their bedroom, surprised to see Nick had listened and was back in his bed.

“What are you doing with the dog in here?” Brian demanded.

“He’s not used to sleep alone.” Justin placed the dog on the carpet at the foot of the bed, petting his head. “Now, where were we?” He climbed on top of Brian.

“I can’t fuck with him staring at me.” Brian pointed to the dog, peeking curiously at them. His front paws were on the edge of the mattress to see them better.

Justin flopped on his back. “Cockblocked by a dog.”

“You brought him in here, Justin.”

“Good night.”

“Thanks for giving me the worst case of blue balls,” Brian muttered.

“You’re the one who said no.” Justin glanced at the dog, but he wasn’t visible anymore. “See? He’s no longer looking.”

Brian rolled on top of Justin. “This better be a one-time thing. I won’t give him a free show every night.” Brian took the tube of lube from the nightstand, making Justin laugh.