- Text Size +

 

 

Brian stood at the window showing inside the small daycare he had at Kinnetik. He leaned against the window slightly, his foot still in a cast, for a few more days as the doctor had instructed.

However, his injured leg was the least of his worries at the moment.

The little blond boy inside the room was the only one sitting by himself, clutching a plush bunny, and rocking slowly.

Over the past several days, Nick had stayed at the daycare center while Justin was busy running errands.

They had fallen into an easy pattern. Justin drove them to Kinnetik in the morning, hugging and smothering Nick in kisses, before waving goodbye to Brian. If he had time, he brought some lunch, before he was gone again, only to return close to six in the evening to take them home.

Brian was grateful for their routine. Justin hadn't commented on his injury or the fact that he was Brian's chauffeur and maid. He was still as discreet and natural about everything as Brian could remember.

Which brought Brian to his current dilemma. What was going on with Justin's child? Nick was Justin's son, so he shouldn't be so closed off and outcast.

He went into the room, greeting Susan, who was huddled around a table with the other children, drawing. She greeted him back, glancing at Nick and shaking her head. It was another failed day to make him socialize.

“Hey, kiddo!” Brian sat next to him.

Nick looked up from his toy, sighed heavily, before closing his eyes and sniffing loudly.

That was new, and Brian had no idea what to do with an about to cry child. “Hey, buddy. How about we join the others and draw something nice for your dad?”

Nick shook his head. He looked up at Brian, his eyes shining with tears and bottom lip trembling. “I want Pappy!”

Oh shit.

“I'm sure your dad explained to you enough that it's not possible. We even talked about it. Remember?”

“I want my Pappy! Pappy always had time for me when Daddy was busy.”

“Well, how would you like to spend the rest of your wait for your dad in my office? I've got some pretty neat stuff in there. I'm actually working on an advertisement for toys. You can play with them.”

Nick eyed him thoughtfully. “Really?”

“Really.” Brian smiled, offering his hand.

Nick stared at it, debating whether or not to take it, before his small hand curled around Brian's big one. He threw him a smaller version of Justin's Sunshine smile.

.

.

.

Justin was running late, and Brian buried himself in Babylon business to kill time until Justin arrived.

It was close to seven when Justin burst into Brian's office, his face drawn and eyes wild. “Where’s Nick?”

Brian lifted a brow at how unobservant, yet how fiercely devoted Justin was. He pointed to the couch where Nick was fast asleep, clutching one of the toys Brian had to advertise.

Justin drew a shaky breath, before scrubbing his face. “Fuck. I didn’t realize the daycare closed and you brought him here.”

“I brought him here since ten this morning.” Brain waved him closer. “Come here. Don’t start screaming before you think about it.”

“What is it?” Justin asked warily, going to sit in the chair across Brian's desk.

“I think Nick should talk to a doctor. You clearly have no idea what to do, and it’s not normal how he behaves. I told you how he doesn’t interact with anyone at daycare. Well, today, he was sitting forlorn in the corner, crying silently. When I asked why won’t he play with the other kids, he said he wanted his pappy.”

Justin turned to look at his sleeping son, before he pressed his hands over his eyes. “I’m aware he needs therapy, Brian. I don’t have that kind of money now, besides…I don’t want to traumatize him further by making a white coat talk to him about Ethan.”

“It’s their job. They know how to approach the subject,” Brian argued. He was willing to offer the money Justin might need for this, but he wasn’t ready to have a fight with him.

“Yeah, like my mom made me see that doctor about being gay,” he sneered.

“That’s different.”

“Forget it.”

Justin stood abruptly and went to pick his son up. Nick stirred in his slumber, clinging to his father’s neck.

“Do I have to carry you too, to the car?” Justin snapped, stopping in front of Brian's desk.

Brain gathered the papers on his desk. “We need to make a stop at Babylon.”

“What the fuck for?”

“Business.” Brian showed him the papers. “It won’t take long.”

Justin gritted his teeth. “Fine.”

It took Brian no less than forty minutes to talk to the manager and make sure the bar was stocked and they were ready for the upcoming events Babylon was going to host.

When Brian returned to his Jeep, he expected to find Justin fuming, or simply gone. Instead, he found him fast asleep in the driver’s seat. It was the most vulnerable he had seen Justin since his return.

Brian got in the backseat, and found Nick awake and looking out the window.

“Hey,” Brian whispered.

Nick smiled and pressed a finger to his lips. “Daddy is sleeping.”

“I can see that, but we need him to get home.” Brian felt like he was committing a crime when he reached over to touch Justin's shoulder.

Justin startled, turning to look at him with wide, blue eyes. He glanced at his son, then back at Brian.

“You can sleep when we get home. I’ll help Nick with anything he needs,” Brian offered.

Justin laughed, and it sounded genuine. “I’d love to see you giving him a bath.”

“I’ll have you know, I washed Gus on several occasions.”

“I’m not doubting your skills,” Justin said seriously. “Nick hates bath time.”

To cement Justin's words, Nick scowled and folded his little arms across his chest. “I don’t need a bath.”

Justin focused on backing out from the alley, but commented, “Fine. Stay dirty.”

“What’s wrong with bath time?” Brian asked curiously.

“It’s boring. My skin get wrinkly…like old people’s ass.”

“Nick,” Justin shouted. “I said that once, and you weren’t meant to hear it.”

“It’s funny, Daddy.”

“How about showering? It’s faster and your skin doesn’t get wrinkly,” Brian suggested. He knew better than to comment on what Justin had once said around his son, even though it was hilarious.

“He’s five, Brian! He can’t shower.”

“What’s a shower?” Nick seemed interested.

“You still go in the bathtub, but you don’t sit inside it. You stand under the water spray, soap up, rinse, and get out.”

“I want to try it.”

“Be my guest,” Justin insisted. “But don’t request my help.”

Brian rolled his eyes, because Justin was as devious as ever. Brian wouldn’t be able to help Nick, considering he could barely hold his equilibrium, and he shouldn’t wet the cast.

He hoped to be able to guide the child in the art of showering.

The rest of the drive was spent in silence. To Brian's amusement, there was a hint of a smile on Justin's lips, as if he doubted Brian's skills.

When they arrived home, Justin helped Brian upstairs with Nick following them.

“I’m going to start dinner. If you need me…you better not. Have fun.” Justin ruffled his son’s hair, before abandoning them in front of the guest bedroom.

“So…how about that shower?” Brian asked, opening the door.

“No wrinkly skin or rubber duckies?” Nick asked.

“You don’t like the rubber duckies?” Brian was curious why the kid didn’t want the toys.

“Nope.”

“Then, no rubber duckies, and definitely no wrinkly skin.”

Brian guided him toward the adjoined bathroom. He made sure the water was warm enough, but not too hot.

He turned around to find Nick watching the bathtub with a frown.

“Come on, buddy. Take your clothes off.” Brian clapped twice, urging the child to get a move. He wanted to prove to Justin that Nick liked showering.

“Daddy helps me with my clothes. I get stuck in them.”

Laughing, Brian motioned for Nick to step closer to where he was leaning against the sink. He made quick work of his clothes.

“Go on. Hop in the tub.” Brian nudged Nick toward it.

Nick climbed in the tub, and stood under the shower head, shivering. His trusting eyes were on Brian.

“Get yourself wet.”

Brian beamed when instincts took over, and Nick tilted his head back to wet his hair, before he turned this way and that way to get all his body wet.

“Want me to shampoo your hair?” Brian offered.

“Yes, please.”

They made a good team. While Brian shampooed Nick’s hair, Nick poured liberal amounts of shower gel all over his body.

“Give me the shower head. Careful, let’s not spray the whole bathroom.”

Brian rinsed Nick from head to toe, then leaned over to shut the water. He wrapped a fluffy towel around the child’s body.

“That’s all?” Nick sounded bewildered.

“Yes. You’re squeaky clean.”

“Wow. I love showers! Thank you, Brian.”

Brian kept him at arm’s length, when Nick was about to hug him. “I’m glad to have taught you a faster way to wash.”

Once Nick was relatively dry, Brian led him downstairs. He arrived much slower, because of his leg.

Justin seemed to have forgotten to stir in the pan on the stove. His wide eyes were on his son.

“Don’t let the food burn, dear,” Brian sneered, going to the fridge and taking a can of beer.

“How?” Justin gasped.

“Showers are cool, Daddy! You get in and out of the tub, fast and efficient.”

Brian laughed at Nick’s words to describe how cool he believed showers to be.

“What are you making, Daddy?” Nick went closer to the stove. “Daddy is an amazing cook, Brian.”

Justin groaned, turning to face the food. “Meatballs with marinara sauce and pasta.”

Brian slumped into a chair, opening his beer. He watched as Justin offered the spoon to Nick, so he could taste the red sauce. Brian refused to remember all the times Justin had offered him to taste the food he was cooking. As much as Brian had appreciated a home cooked meal, he had always mocked Justin's love for cooking. Only when he had lost Justin, he realized the little things that had disappeared along with his boyfriend.

“Does your foot hurt?” Nick’s voice pulled Brian from the lane of memories.

“No,” he said in a broken voice. Brian cleared his throat, watching as Justin instructed Nick to set the table in the dining room.

That was a room Brian rarely used.

“What’s wrong with eating here?” he asked, confused.

Justin took his time to answer, as he finished preparing the food. After he shut off the burners, he turned to look at Brian with the most honest expression he had since his return.

“Please, don’t get close. Don’t get attached. It’s enough he’s crying about Ethan. I’m not ready to hear him crying about you, as well, when we find our place.”

“Then stay,” Brian said quietly.

“I thought I was clear, Brian. I appreciate you’re helping us. It hurts both of us…being here…I’ll be out of your hair as soon as I can find a place.”

“Have you talked to your mother?”

“We’re meeting tomorrow for coffee.”