- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Part Two of the Wedding

 

 

Brian went to Chuck, his DJ from Babylon. “Have you lost your common sense? This party fucking sucks. What’s with the chamber music?”

Chuck grimaced. “Sorry, boss. Emmett instructed me to keep it quiet until your first dance. Then I have a specific playlist.”

“May I see it?” Brian placed his glass of champagne next to Chuck’s laptop.

“I heard Justin was involved in creating it.”

“Still,” Brian insisted, hovering over Chuck’s shoulder. “I hope you have the Babylon playlist in the laptop, too.”

“Emmett made me promise not to fuck it up.”

Brian rolled his eyes, touching Chuck’s shoulder. “You’re already fucking it up. Fine, keep this funeral songs until our first dance. Then, you better pull up the Babylon playlist.”

“Come on, Brian. The playlist is not that bad.”

“You have three songs to impress me,” Brian demanded, before taking his glass and departing, stopping to greet a few of his associates.

He was pulled away from a conversation, which was rapidly turning into business, by Nick. The child tugged at Brian's pant leg, making Brian turn to smile at him. After excusing himself from his associates, he picked Nick up.

“What’s up, kiddo?”

“Have you seen Daddy?”

“Not in a while. He went inside with his sister to give Oliver a nap.”

“Aunt Molly is over there with Nana Jen.” Nick pointed out.

“Did you need Justin? Do you need anything?” Brian asked, ready to go in search of Justin.

“No, but it’s funny how you already lost your husband.”

“Hey, he’s somewhere around here.”

“You better find Daddy. Unc’ Emmett was looking for both of you.”

Brian rolled his eyes. So Emmett had sent Nick on a mission. “Well, you better go and tell Emmett, we will join everyone in a minute.”

Nick nodded, and once he was back on the ground, he ran toward the barn where the tables had been moved. The sky held dark clouds once again, and it looked like it would rain some more.

Brian went inside the house, ready to search for Justin, unsure why he was hiding in there. Then, he heard quiet voices from outside the guest bedroom on the ground floor. He stopped behind the stairs, staring curiously at Justin and none other than Hobbs. It sounded like they were talking about how fast a child was growing.

“I hate to interrupt,” Brian said.

Justin jumped, startled, holding a hand to his chest. “Kill me, why don’t you?”

“We’re expected for the first dance.” Brian held a hand out.

Justin shrugged at Hobbs, who stepped into the guest bedroom, while Justin took Brian's hand. “You fucking scared me.”

“I didn’t know you were so engrossed in giving Hobbs tips about when Oliver would start walking.”

“He’s already struggling to do it,” Justin said, laughing. “I saw him earlier. He’s hilarious.”

“Now tell me something. What sort of atrocious songs are on the playlist? So far, it feels like a funeral.”

Justin laughed loudly, leading the way out the house. “This was Emmett's idea of chill and cozy music. Don’t worry, when I heard Chuck was our DJ, I created the best playlist.”

“Emmett still thinks we’re going to dance on the lame song from your prom?” Brian asked casually.

“Everyone believes that. Even Daphne asked me earlier.”

“Can’t wait to see their faces when they realize we have chosen a different song. I don’t do repeat performances,” Brian said seriously.

“You’re so full of shit,” Justin laughed, as they approached the dancefloor set right inside the barn doors.

Everyone turned to them, when the music ceased.

“Time for the newlyweds’ first dance,” Chuck announced loudly in the microphone.

Brian held Justin loosely, keeping his lips pressed together.

Justin had discovered this song by mistake, and claimed it to be their song, since Brian ever so often lately liked to refer to Justin as his prince. Placebo was a band Justin had always loved, and they had a song called ‘My Sweet Prince’. The lyrics fit their relationship, and it had taken some convincing on Justin's part for Brian to agree to make it their song.

Brian kept his eyes on Justin, ignoring all the gasps around them when they heard the lyrics and the melody. Justin looped his arms around Brian's neck, smiling brightly.

Brian mouthed some of the lyrics, making tears spring into Justin's eyes.

“My sweet prince, you are the one.”

Justin pressed his cheek against Brian's shoulder, sniffing loudly. “I love you.”

Brian kissed his temple, before touching his lips to Justin's ear. “I love you.”

Everyone started clapping around them when the song was over, yet they stood swaying from side to side until a loud, techno beat filled the air.

“Now, this is what I’m talking about,” Brian said cheerfully, taking a step back from Justin.

Justin grinned, “I told you. There might be some songs you won’t expect, but most of them are…dancy.”

Jennifer was the first to approach them. “Can I steal your husband?”

“Which one of us?” Brian teased, but made to place Justin's hand in hers.

“Actually, you,” she said softly.

Justin chuckled. “I’ll go steal your husband, Mom,” he said, amused.

“We’re not married yet,” she called after his retreated form.

“Did you want to talk?” Brian asked, lifting a brow.

“I want to thank you, Brian. You’re a good man, and I know how much you love my son. I might have been difficult and appeared ungrateful at times, but I’ve always known how much you loved him.”

“Always?” Brian repeated, in disbelief.

“The first time I knew you cared for him was when you tried to bring him home, but Craig’s hate made you remind him, and me, frankly, that the way he planned on treating Justin wasn’t love.”

“You know I always said only things I meant, even if they hurt. And here is me thanking you for believing in me and accepting me as your son’s lover.”

“You’re his husband now,” she reminded him, smiling.

Brian grinned, glancing around until he spotted Justin crouched to his son, hugging him tightly. “That he is.” Brian nodded. “I better go and check why Nick is so upset.”

Brian was a few feet away when Nick saw him, and rushed to him. “Tell Daddy, he’s a big meanie.”

Brian caught Justin's eyes, lifting a brow. Justin grabbed Brian's elbow.

“I dare you to cave to his puppy eyes,” Justin hissed.

“What do you want to do?” Brian asked quietly, crouching to Nick’s level.

Nick huffed, folding his arms across his chest. “I want to play the piano.”

“But the piano is inside the house. Look, we already have music,” Brian explained.

“I want to play for you and Daddy,” Nick whined, tears pooling into his eyes.

“Why didn’t you say so?” Justin groaned. “Anyway, maybe after everyone leaves…”

Now! After the party, you will go on your honeymoon.”

Brian laughed, rubbing’s Nick’s back. “We’re leaving next week for our honeymoon,” he explained.

“Now, let’s wipe your eyes and blow your nose.” Justin steered him toward the house.

Brian followed them, and once Nick was snot-free, Brian led them to the living room.

“No one will miss us five minutes,” he reasoned.

“Yes!” Nick clapped, running to his piano. He ruffled through his music sheets, before he started playing a song Brian wasn’t familiar with.

Judging by the shocked look on Justin's face, he knew the song, but it was something he didn’t expect to hear.

“This is a song Ethan taught him. Well, he tried. He also told Nick it was often played to celebrate love. Nick has never played it before,” Justin explained.

The beautiful melody stopped abruptly. “I messed up,” Nick gasped.

Justin went to him, sitting next to him on the bench. “It doesn’t matter. It was very beautiful, baby.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes,” Brian agreed, joining them. “And let me tell you a little secret. Artists never show they messed up. They keep playing as if it never happened.”

Nick covered his face. “I wanted it to be perfect. I know that. Pappy used to tell me the same thing.”

Brian grimaced, but didn’t let Nick see it, as he hugged him tightly.

“That was your son playing?” Hobbs asked from the doorway.

“Did you like it?” Nick perked up. “I know some other songs.”

“Maybe another time. We don’t want to wake your cousin. He’s napping,” Justin hedged.

“He sleeps like a log,” Hobbs dismissed Justin's worry with a hand. “What else do you know how to play? I wanted to take piano as a child, but my father put me in karate classes.”

“Go and entertain your guests.” Nick pushed his daddies away from the bench. “I’ll show Uncle Chris what other songs I know.”

Brian palmed his face. “If you get hungry, come join us outside.”

“Later,” Nick said excitedly, already stacking his music sheets, ready to show them all to his uncle.

Justin hooked an arm around Brian's elbow, walking out the house. “It’s fascinating to watch his personality developing every day. Being bossy is definitely a Gemini trait.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Brian joked. “What is fascinating…is the fact that we can accept Hobbs as part of the family.”

“I knew this moment would come from the first time I accepted him as Molly’s boyfriend. And what you just saw…Nick deciding to share his music with him…that’s proof he’s not the bad guy.” Justin cupped Brian's cheek. “I’m not finding him excuses, but he was influenced by his family. True, it wasn’t his family cracking my head open, but they instilled the hate for gays in him.”

“You’re far too selfless, Sunshine.”

“There you are!” Gus interrupted them. “I’m not sure why is it always me sent in search of the two of you…”

“You found us,” Brian said, rolling his eyes. Of course, their deranged family would send the innocent ones to find them. First Nick, now Gus. And it wasn’t the first time they had sent Gus to find them. “What’s up?”

“No idea. I mean, I heard several reasons: we should eat, it’s toast time, and yeah…some of the family is appalled that you ran inside for…you know.”

Justin groaned. “Come on, or we will never hear the end of it if we send Gus back to lie about finding us in some compromising position.”

“We’re surrounded by prudes,” Brian lamented, wrapping an arm around his son.

#

Emmett had warned both Brian and Justin that they wouldn’t have a quiet moment during the reception.

The toast had felt interminable with their close friends raising, one by one, to each make a heartfelt speech.

Brian had barely managed a bite from the duck, when Lindsay came over. He chewed slowly, staring at her, standing next to him.

“Can we talk after we eat?” he protested.

“Save me a dance, then,” she agreed.

“Sure.”

“Before I escaped inside the house earlier, you know, to show Hobbs were to put Oliver to bed, I was accosted,” Justin said.

“Yeah, at least, you weren’t trying to eat. I’m actually starving,” Brian admitted. “Speaking of Hobbs. Did Nick ever resurface from inside the house?”

“Fuck. No. I think Hobbs got his redemption through listening to Nick playing the piano,” Justin said. He got up, took a healthy gulp from his wine, then rushed out of the barn.

Brian couldn’t understand why Justin was so anal about Nick’s joy in playing the piano. Hobbs had looked honestly interested. And the kid was decent, for a seven-year-old.

“Last minute check-up with you,” Michael said, joining him, taking Justin's seat.

“I knew your life-long dream was to be my husband,” Brian said tersely.

“Stop joking. I’m nervous about the plan.”

“How difficult can it be to be part of ‘the not married people’ making a line before we throw the bouquet?”

“Because I’m married.”

“Not recognized by our country,” Brian pointed out. “Did you try the duck?”

Just then Justin breezed back, leaning between Michael and Brian, showing Brian his phone. “Look at him! He’s so fucking adorable.”

Brian peered down at the screen, amazed at how careful Nick was in the picture. He was sitting in one of the stuffed chairs with Oliver on his lap, feeding him some baby food, closely supervised by Hobbs.

“If you get baby fever, I’m having an annulment,” Brian said in warning.

“Fine, I’ll have to relive the beautiful toddler stage through Oliver.”

“That you do.” Brian nodded firmly.

“He is adorable,” Michael said empathically. “I’ll go try the duck.”

“You do that,” Brian said, feeding himself another piece. “Aren’t you hungry, Justin?”

Justin took his seat. “A little. I also convinced Nick to join us for some food when he was done helping feed his cousin. Shit, I said I’d send Molly inside.” He hurried to her table, making Brian look after him, amused.

#

After enjoying the feast, everyone seemed to have moved to the dance floor. Chuck played upbeat songs, keeping the party alive.

Nick was in the middle of the crowd, dancing with his arms in the air.

“Your son is stealing my best moves,” Emmett said, amused, joining Justin and Brian.

Justin smiled fondly at Nick, then poked his tongue out at Emmett. “He’s a natural. I didn’t teach him how to dance.”

“I’m going to show him how to sway his hips wider,” Emmett said, thoughtfully.

“He’s seven, for fuck’s sake, Emmett,” Brian groaned, but laughed at the sight of Emmett skipping to Nick’s side.

Justin rested his back against Brian's chest, tilting his head to look up at him. “I think Emmett should be more worried about your guests coping a feel at his man.”

My guests,” Brian scoffed, running a hand down Justin's chest, then pulling him flush against his front.

Justin pressed his ass against Brian's tented dress pants, biting his lips. “They are your associates.”

“When do we bring out the cake?” Brian pressed his lips to Justin's ear.

“Later. Whenever we say it. Emmett said…” Justin trailed off, when Brian more or less dragged him out of the barn. “What? You want it now?”

“I want you, now,” Brian said hotly, looking left and right when they were outside.

Jennifer was on the porch with Oliver and Tank, so going inside the house was out of question.

Brian led the way into the stables, behind the barn.

“Whoa! What are you doing?” Justin cried out, but laughed loudly.

“Since we almost got married in the barn, I think it’s appropriate to have a romp in the hay.”

Justin stared at the ballots of hay stacked up at the far back of the stables. After much debates, they were finally getting horses, which would arrive after they returned from the honeymoon.

Brian pushed Justin into the pile of hay, working his pants eagerly. Justin had long ago accepted his entire relationship with Brian was to experience the unexpected. This suppressed all his expectations.

“I got some lube earlier when I was inside,” Brian commented, unzipping his dress pants.

“That’s so kind of you,” Justin snorted.

“Did you want to use spit?” Brian teased.

Justin reached for the hem of Brian's shirt, pulling him on top of him. “Quick, before someone realizes we’re missing. We’ll never hear the end of it.”

“As if they don’t know us.” Brian rolled his eyes, but extracted the foiled of lube he had taken from the kitchen drawer. They had discovered such pocket sized foils of lube were perfect for their adventures in the kitchen.

Justin slapped a hand over his mouth when Brian pushed inside of him after stretching him swiftly. He braced himself with his other hand on Brian's shoulder, wincing at the hay scratching the tender skin on his ass.

“What,” Brian gasped against his mouth. “Hurts?”

“Hay rash,” Justin muttered. “And frankly, I’m afraid I’ll get it up my ass.”

Brian groaned, but wrapped one of Justin's legs around his hip, then rolled them around, so he was the one lying on the hay. “Giddy up, cowboy.” Brian slapped Justin's ass, making him moan loudly. “Sshhhhh!!”

The rush of fucking so close to the party where their guests were enjoying themselves unaware of the newlyweds literally rolling in the hay, had them finding completion sooner than expected.

After zipping up their pants and tucking in their shirts, and making sure their clothes were still pristinely white, they rearranged each other’s bow ties.

Justin led the way out of the stables with a big smile on his face. They ran smack into Emmett.

“There you are! Are we ready for the cake, then throwing the bouquet?” he asked eagerly.

“Sure.” Justin nodded, scratching absently at his neck.

Emmett gave them an once-over, his eyes stopping at Brian's hair. “Is that…what the hell is in your hair, Brian?”

Justin glanced over to see pieces of hay sticking out of Brian's mussed-up hair.

Emmett threw his arms in the air. “If you ever want to renew your vows, forget my number. I’m so done with your behavior.”

“Hey!” Justin hurried after him, catching Emmett close to the house. “We…” He stopped talking, because he couldn’t say they were sorry, or that they wouldn’t have done it if they believed anyone would catch them, but Justin realized how right Brian was about apologizing.

“Forget it, Justin. I’m trying to remind myself at every turn that it’s you two and nothing should surprise me by now.”

Justin winced, scratching vigorously at a spot behind his ear. “Yeah, and I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he grinned, now scratching at his inner elbow.

“Are we ready for the cake?” Jennifer asked, spotting them close to the porch.

“Yup. I’ll bring it. You go back to the party.” Emmett ushered them.

“What happened to you?” Jennifer asked, worried, staring at her son.

“Nothing,” Justin said defensively, rubbing at his cheek. He couldn’t understand why he felt so itchy suddenly. “Come on, Oliver. I think your parents enjoyed themselves too much. Time to disturb them.” He picked the little boy, who giggled gleefully.

“Is that hay in your hair?” His mother followed him. She picked the stray pieces of hay from his hair. “I’m still not sure why you didn’t tell me about getting horses.”

“Why? You don’t like them?” Justin asked curiously.

“I would have told you about the time we took you riding at the country club.”

“That’s why I wanted them. I remember having a good time,” Justin retorted.

“Honey, you were too young to have the full memory. You had a terrible allergic reaction to hay, after feeding one of the horses.”

Justin almost dropped Oliver, as he slowly turned to his mother. But she kept walking, only to stop a few feet ahead and turn to stare at him.

“How badly?” Justin could barely hear his voice.

“We were lucky there was a doctor close-by. You went into shock and only the epi pen helped.”

“Fuck,” he spat, scratching at the tip of his nose. “Send Brian inside the house. Now,” he said, panicked, putting Oliver down then running toward the house.

He nearly collided with Emmett, who saved the cake at the last minute. “Bring Brian now,” Justin shouted, diving for his bag of meds. “I’m going to murder my mom for not telling me before now I’m allergic to fucking hay!”

Emmett left the cake on the table, and ran out the door.

Justin could feel his hands shaking as he looked through his allergy pills, not sure what to take. He had already taken his dose for the day. He felt like crying, when Brian appeared inside the kitchen, looking anxious.

“What happened? Your mom and Emmett said you were having a panic attack.”

“That’s the last of our worries. Let’s hope I don’t go into anaphylactic shock. My mom just said I had a bad reaction to hay during my most prized memory of riding a horse when I was a kid.” Justin slumped against the kitchen cabinet, scratching at his neck. “Fuck, I don’t think I’ve ever had this severe reaction to anything before.”

“Okay, calm down. Did you take any pills?” Brian went closer, but Justin noticed how his hands shook.

“I don’t know what to take…if I’m allowed to take more than one per day.”

Jennifer joined them, lips pursed. “Emmett just told me what you did.”

“My bad, I forgot to run it by you, and let you know I was going to fuck in the hay,” Justin spat.

“No need to get smart.” She sorted through his pills, selecting two of strongest of them. “Water,” she demanded, looking at Brian. “Here, take these. I thought you knew everything you were allergic to.”

Justin swallowed down the pills, standing on unsteady legs. Brian wrapped his arms around him, kissing his temple.

“I didn’t know about the hay. Fuck my life.”

“I’m expecting the full list of your allergy triggers by the end of tomorrow,” Brian said sternly.

“I think I gave one to you when Justin decided to live with you when he was seventeen,” Jennifer said thoughtfully.

Emmett chose that moment to return, with Michael and Drew.

“I’ll have to visit the doctor and get a fresh one,” Justin mumbled. “Take the cake out. We’ll join you in a minute. I need to sit down for a second,” he said to Emmett.

He caught Michael’s terrified eyes, before turning around and heading into the living room. Brian joined him, sitting next to him on the couch. Brian rubbed his back slowly, and Justin appreciate the silence.

“You have no idea how it is to play Russian Roulette with your life when you try something new,” Justin whispered.

“You fucking scared me,” Brian admitted.

“We’re stocking up on epi pens, because I never bothered to buy a new one since I returned to Pittsburgh. I used to have two in New York – one in Ethan’s nightstand and one in the living room…you know, in case…anything happened. I didn’t take them when I packed up because they had expired…and I didn’t buy new ones because I had never used these.”

“Shh. Now relax. You’re fine.”

Justin scratched his head. “I’m not fine, Brian. I never will be fine.”

“Don’t be a drama princess. Come on, the cake awaits us.” He steered Justin toward the back door. “Oh, aim for Debbie when you throw the bouquet.”

“I thought the plan was for Michael to catch it,” Justin said, confused.

Brian shrugged. “He’s right. He’s already married to Ben. For them, it’s legal, and now the certificate is recognized by our state, as well.”

“You got it, then.” Justin beamed, entering the barn. It felt like a slap of reality after his panic attack when he believed he was going to die, to find everyone still dancing and having fun.

Nick rushed to them, clinging to their pants. “Where were you?”

“Around.” Justin crouched to hug his son, fighting the tears in his eyes. It reminded him how he had to take better care of himself, because Nick needed him.