- Text Size +

 

Late that afternoon, Gus was sitting out on the patio when he received a text from Fiona. The message said, ‘Didn't want to wake you. Tomorrow night, join Rowen and me with a few friends and go to a movie?'

"Gus, was that Fi?"

"It was. She was wondering if I could go out tomorrow. There is a group of her friends going to a movie."

"Of course you can go. It will be good for you to meet a few people before school starts in a couple of weeks."

"I was thinking that, too."

"Rowen will be there?" Lindz asked as she sat on the arm of his chair.

"Ya. Not sure if I want to meet him or not."

"I don't know much about him but you know the saying, ‘Keep your friends close and your enemies closer'? I hope you aren't enemies, but hopefully it will make you feel better once you've met him."

"I know." Gus' phone rang and he looked down and saw Jessi's face flashing on the screen. "It's Jess, Mom. I told her to call when she woke up." He pressed the button, "Hey Jess."

"Whose arm do I see? Is it Fiona?" she asked excitedly.

"Sorry, Jessi. It is just me," Lindsay said, showing her face on his camera for a minute. "I was just leaving to start dinner."

"Bye, Gus' mom."

"Goodbye, Sweetheart." Lindsay waved and, after kissing Gus' head, she moved into the house.

Jessi waved back and once she was gone, she said, "I like this mom. Our dads are the best, but sometimes I wish I had a mom."

Gus smiled, "We do have the best dads, don't we. So what have I missed?"

"Not much. Daddy J let me shop online since we aren't going to get to Denver before school starts and I have grown a lot this summer."

Gus looked at his sister. She had changed a lot. She had lost her little girl look and was now looking much more like a teenager and he wasn't sure he liked it. He would have to talk to Aaron about watching out for her at school. "That's cool."

"Have you seen Fi?" Jess asked.

"I saw her as soon as I got here, and tomorrow night we are going to a movie."

"Ooooo, a date already."

"No. Her boyfriend and some other kids will be there. It will be a way for me to get to know some of my classmates."

"Are you sure you won't punch the guy if he kisses your girlfriend?" she said with her typical cockiness.

He had to smile, "She isn't my girlfriend, Jess. She is a girl and my friend but that is all."

"Hey, Gus," Aaron popped in.

"Love you, Gussy. I have stuff to do."

"Love you, too, Jess."

Aaron and Gus spoke for a few minutes before the phone was passed to Justin and Brian. After talking for a few minutes, Justin said, "Gus, I'm sorry but I have a business call coming in a couple minutes. I love you. We miss you so much already."

"Love you, too, Dad. It will only be a few months until you come and visit." 

Once Justin had left, Brian asked, "So what is the boyfriend like?"

"I haven't met him yet. I will tomorrow night, but Dad, I don't think I'll like him. From what Fi said, I don't think he treats her very well. Maybe I'll meet him and find out I am just protective of her because... well, she was my first girlfriend."

"That's the right attitude. And you're right. You have excellent instincts."

"Thanks, Dad. I'll let you know more after meeting him this weekend. Oh, I was going to ask, does Dad have a new project going? He doesn't usually get a ton of business calls."

"You know he doesn't talk about his work until it is locked down. He never has and never will."

"I know that. You two always keep your business stuff separate. Which I always found funny since you always do everything else together."

They spoke a few more minutes and then disconnected. Gus walked into the kitchen and said, "Hey, Mom, can I help with dinner?"

 

Grant volunteered to drive Gus into the village. As they moved down the winding road, Gus was quiet. After a couple minutes Grant asked, "Is everything alright? You look like you have something on your mind. If you're nervous, don't be. A good looking young man like you will have to beat them off. I have spent a little time with your cousin, Quinn, and the girls still look him up and down when they see him, and you could be his son."

"That's because he's almost my dad's twin."

"That is what Lindsay told me. I think I am just fortunate that your fathers have such a strong relationship or your lovely mama may have married him instead of me."

"Trust me, if that had happened they would have killed each other long ago. And, I'm okay about meeting new people, but Fiona's boyfriend..."

"You still carry a torch for the girl. She is a stunner, and not one of those show pieces. I know that is outdated terminology and I don't want you to think I am looking at high schoolers. Your mom is all the woman I can handle."

"I didn't think you were. I like you, Grant, and I like the way you treat my mom."

"As long as she wants me around, I will do anything I can to make her happy."

"As long as she wants you around?"

"Well, I don't doubt she loves me, but you know your mom. She seems to need adventure and change. I mean, she was married to your other mom. I guess I wonder if she will ever..." He glanced at Gus, "Like I said, I plan to enjoy that beautiful woman."

They entered the village, and as Grant pulled up to a pub he asked, "Do you need a ride home?"

"No, Fi said they would drive me home. I don't know who ‘they' are, but I should be fine."

"If plans change, just give us a call. I am guessing you and your mom talked about the time you would be home?"

"Ya, if it will be later than midnight I'll text and let her know an approximate time." Gus opened the door.

"I see Fi coming your way. Have a great time, and relax."

"Thanks, Grant," Gus said as he shut the door. He turned around to smile at Fi. As he did, he saw a boy coming up behind her, and then the boy spun her around and kissed her. Gus watched his Fi in the arms of someone else and he didn't like it.

He stood there, awkwardly, until a girl about his age appeared at his side. "Hello, gorgeous," she said, taking Gus' arm. "You must be Gus, Fi's friend. And, yes," the girl said looking at Rowen and Fi, "they are disgusting sometimes."

Gus looked at the pretty girl standing next to him. She had thick, curly, copper color hair and the greenest eyes he had ever seen. She was a little taller than Fi but they both had a similar build. "I am. You must be one of Fi's friends that is joining us."

"As far as I know I'm the only friend joining. I'm Shea."

"Rowan, enough. I want you to meet one of my best friends in the world." Fi had finally broken out of Rowen's embrace. "Shea, I see you met Gus. Gus, this is Rowen. Rowen, this is..."

"Let me guess. Gus. The only thing you have been able to talk about in a month." Rowen gave Gus a slight nod. 

"He really does look like Quinn, doesn't he?" Shea said, looking between Gus and Fi. "Gus, I know you are related to him somehow, right?"

"I don't know that I ever got it straight myself, but Quinn and my dad are cousins, although they look more like brothers."

"I'm hungry. Let's get some grub." Rowen wrapped his arm around Fi's neck and started to move toward the pub door. 

Gus smiled at Shea, "Shall we?" He laid a hand on her lower back.

"Oh, we shall!" standing on her tiptoes she kissed Gus' cheek. "I just wanted to get that first kiss out of the way so you don't have to ask me when you want to kiss me goodnight," Shea said as they followed the other couple through the door.

 

Gus had a good time. He really liked Shea, and Rowen was alright. He was a little too self absorbed for Gus' liking, but when he wasn't bragging, he could maybe see what Fi saw in him. After eating fish and chips they went to the small theater and watched the only movie that was playing. Gus couldn't help himself. When Fi and Rowen started kissing he got distracted. 

"You know, I could help get your mind off them," Shea said as she rested her hand on his thigh.

"I'm sorry. I was being rude." Gus put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her a little closer. He kissed the top of her head and, with his free hand, took the one on his thigh and squeezed it gently and then they both focused on the movie again.

When the movie ended, they all got into Rowen's vehicle. They stopped at Shea's cottage and Gus walked her to the door. Gus bent down and kissed her on the lips. It wasn't deep but it was long enough to give Shea hope for another date. Gus' mouth moved to her ear and said, "Call me. Fi has my number." He jogged back to the car and as he opened the door, he turned and waved at her before getting in as Rowen pulled away.

When they arrived at Grant and Lindsay's, Fiona got out of the car along with Gus. "Thanks for being a good sport tonight, Gussy."

"You could have just told me it was going to be a double date."

"Would you have come?"

"Probably not," he admitted. "And I liked her. I had fun."

"Fi, I don't want my dad to eat the head off ya. We need to go."

"Eat the head off ya?" Gus questioned.

"Just a saying. He'll get annoyed if Ro gets home late. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Ok." Gus looked in the door at Rowen, "Thanks for the ride. I had fun."

"Later," Rowen began to drive almost before Fi had the door shut.

 

"So that is your cocky American. He's alright, but it is obvious he still wants you."

"Gus and I never had that kind of relationship. We were just kids. And you saw the way Shea was looking at him. I think she will soon have his full attention."

"She better. He needs to stop looking at you like that." There was a threat in his tone and Fi didn't want to stir him up when they'd had such a good time.

 

"How was your evening? Did you meet a lot of classmates?" Lindsay asked as Gus walked into the family room where she sat with Grant.

"I was duped a little. I met Rowen and a girl named Shea. It was a setup for a double date."

"Was that so bad?" Grant asked.

"No, not at all. I had a good time. Shea is a lot of fun, and she's almost as pretty as Fi..." Gus stopped. 

"I wouldn't say that in front of any of them," Lindsay said. "How was Rowen? Did you get a feeling from him?"

"He thinks very highly of himself, but if Fi can put up with his bullshit ego, I can't condemn him." Gus looked at his mom and step dad. "But that doesn't mean I won't keep an eye on him. I'm going to head to bed. I told Aaron I would call him when I got home. I hope I catch him before they start dinner."

Gus went up to his room and called his little brother. "Hey, Aaron, how's life going?"

"Gus! I'm glad you called. Guess what? One of the miniature horses is pregnant. I'm so excited. The vet said everything is good and that it will be about six months before she is due, then... Sorry, I was talking too much. Did you have your date with Fiona? Did it go well? Did you kiss her?"

Gus had to smile. He really missed Aaron. "Well, it really wasn't a date with Fi. It was Fi and her boyfriend and she had a friend come along for me."

"Is she pretty? What's her name?"

"Her name is Shea, she is very pretty and I like her. It is very cool about the horse." The brothers talked for a few more minutes and then Gus heard someone come in the room.

"Is that Gus? Can I talk to him?" Jessi's voice came through the phone.

"Hey, Jessi!" Gus said loudly.

"Aaron, I need to talk to Gus alone." Gus could tell Jessi was walking out of the room with Aaron's phone.

In the background she heard Aaron call out, "Jessi has a boyfriend."

"Shut up, Aaron!" She yelled back as a door slammed. A minute later he could see she was in her own room. Her face came into view and he smiled at her. "Why did he say that? I wanted to talk to you about Teddy."

"He knew you were going to tell me or he wouldn't have."

"But... he... ya, I know. I think he has a boyfriend, so I can tell on him, too."

Gus really wanted to pursue that comment but knew he needed to let it go for now. "So, tell me about your friend."

"He is really cute, Gussy. His name is Teddy and he just moved here from England." She talked for the next ten minutes until there was a knock on the door. Gus heard someone say something but it wasn't clear. "Dinner is ready. I have to go."

"Alright, Jess. You can tell me more about him next time we talk."

"Okay."

"Jess, does Aaron really have a boyfriend?"

"I don't know for sure, but they spend a lot of time together and I have seen them watching each other. I gotta go. Love you, Gus."

"Love you, too, Jess. Tell our dads I'll talk to them tomorrow."

 

Gus got in bed and thought about his siblings. She could almost see Jessi with Teddy. Whoever she was with would always have to expect her to lead the way. She would never follow a man. She was always strong willed, but still one of the most caring people he knew. Aaron also had that amazing heart. That's what worried him a bit. Aaron was so gentle Gus was afraid someone might step on his heart. Thirteen was such a hard age. He would ask his dads about it tomorrow.

"Gus, are you still awake?" Lindsay tapped very quietly.

"I'm awake," he responded, and she opened his door.

"Did you talk to Aaron?"

"For a few minutes. Jessi blew in and took over."

"I love her spirit."

"So do I." His voice drifted off a little.

"Is something wrong?" Lindz asked as she sat on the edge of his bed.

"No. Jessi was telling me about her new boyfriend but then she mentioned Aaron had a boyfriend, too. That worries me a little bit."

"Gus, I know you wouldn't care if he is gay, so what is bothering you about it?"

"I just don't want him to be hurt. His heart is so timid, and if he really likes this boy, it will be hard for him when it is over."

"You are such a good big brother."

"Maybe I shouldn't have come here. What if they need me?"

"Gus, your dads are there and they are really there. They have always given you all they can and I just got you. I know it is my fault we have been apart so much, but I am so thankful you agreed to come for this school year." She bent and kissed his cheek.

"I'm glad I'm here, Mom, and I'm glad you found such a nice guy."

"Love you. I'll let you sleep."

"Love you, too, Mom."

After Lindsay had closed the door, Gus' mind went back to the mountains where the rest of his family was. He hoped his dads knew about this boyfriend of Aaron's. He didn't want to miss out on this one.

 

When Gus woke up he called his dads. "Talk!" Brian's voice came out clearly but he seemed distracted. It only took a second for him to realize that his dads were kissing.

"Hello?" he said loudly.

"Oh, Gus, glad you called!" Justin's voice got closer to the phone as he heard Brian suck in his breath. He had a feeling Justin had just nailed him in the ribs. "Sorry we didn't get to talk yesterday. Jess said you went on a date."

"Fi set me up with her friend, Shea."

"Was that weird for you?" Brian asked. Both his dads were on screen now.

"It was a little strange, but Fi has a boyfriend and Shea is a lot of fun. I know I don't have a lot of time. I can smell breakfast, but with Jessi in the house I am sure you know about Aaron having a friend."

"She is teasing him a lot."

"Who is this kid? He isn't going to hurt him is he?"

"Awe, Gus, you are worried about him," Justin smiled. "You are such a good brother."

"He's a nice kid. He has been over here a couple times this week. His name is Oliver. One of his dads was killed, and his other dad is a diplomat who will be around part of the time, but he is overseas right now." Brian filled him in.

"So he won't hurt Aaron?"

"Gus, what are you worried about?" Justin asked.

"Aaron is so gentle and look how easily he gives his heart to all the animals. If he falls that hard for Oliver, what will happen to him?"

"You know, Gus, if we thought it would be a negative thing, we would discourage the friendship, but," Justin said softly, "he needs to live his best life, and we all know that life can be hard sometimes."

"Ya, I know, and I know you wouldn't let anything happen to him."

They talked a few more minutes and then they said goodbye. Brian pulled Justin into his arms again and nuzzled his neck. "When are you going to tell him?"

"I think I'll wait until everything is definite. Do you think he is going to be happy about it?"

"I am sure he will be happier than I am about it." Brian began to lower Justin's pants as Justin unzipped Brian's.

"You'll live big boy," Justin said as he dropped to his knees and removed Brian's penis from his fly.