- Text Size +

 

Gus had now been in school for nearly a month. He was a novelty. The small village didn't get new students very often. Fi introduced him around and Shea spent time with him, but very soon she had competition. Nearly every girl in the secondary school swooned when he walked past. It was great having people to talk to, however it didn't make him very popular with the boys in the school. None of them trusted the friendly, young American, especially with Rowen making things up about him.

Driving home with his newly acquired international license, Gus was puzzled by his lack of male friends at school. He wished he knew what he was doing wrong. He had never had trouble making friends. Why was Ireland so different? It couldn't just be because of the girls. He was doing nothing to encourage them, and he couldn't think of a way to get them to leave him alone.  Why couldn't they just be friends?

There was some kind of fall party this weekend and Shea asked him to take her. Of course Fi and Rowen would be there. Aaron had made him smile. He told him to just be himself and pretty soon he'd have plenty of friends. His kid brother was really growing up. He never thought he would miss them all so much. Aaron had admitted that he had a ‘friend' but right now they were just friends. "Oh, shit," Gus mumbled to himself when he realized he had missed the turn to the house, so he went on to the Cliffs of Moher. Once he had parked, he texted his mom and told her he'd be a little late. The wind was sharp so he grabbed an old blanket out of the backseat and wrapped it around his shoulders as he got out of the car and let the sound of the ocean draw him nearer to the edge. The ocean was crashing loudly below him.  

After a few minutes the blanket wasn't enough. He turned and moved toward the car. He looked in the distance and saw Kate and Quinn's place. It was the same house they had lived in while visiting when he was a kid. Fi. She always made him feel confused.

Gus had been so deep in thought, he hadn't seen the figure walking toward him. "Are you lost?" a voice came from the side of the cliff.

He spun around. "God, Quinn, where did you come from? Don't tell me. You were down the side of the cliff."

"I was, and what are you doing out this far? Were you coming to see my daughter?"

"Actually, I was daydreaming and missed my turn. I decided since I was almost here, I might as well stop here before turning around."

"And how has school been going? Have you made any new mates?"

Gus' smile disappeared. "I guess school is going alright. I mean I'm not having trouble with any of my subjects but..."

"You don't feel like one of the group yet?"

"That's it. I don't know why, but none of the guys will give me the time of day. I've never had trouble fitting in."

"Well, Gus, I happened to hear something that I think you should know." Quinn draped an arm around his shoulder. "I heard Rowen talking to one of his friends one day when he was visiting Fi. He told his friend that you were causing trouble with Fi and that she couldn't figure a way to get rid of you without... Gus, I know he is a pansy, but he threatened to physically hurt you. When I let him know I heard he tried to convince me he knew I was there and he was just joking. Gus, he hasn't threatened you in any way has he?"

Gus was surprised, "No. He's the only guy that actually talks to me. Do you think he is telling..." Gus paused for a moment. "That fucker has set me up!"

"I really don't know what Fi sees in him, but my girl is too old for us to pick her friends."

Gus took a step away from Quinn and said, "I need to go. I have a date tonight with Shea."

"Gus, as a father and cousin, I need to say, don't do anything stupid. Now, as a family member, I'm here if you need anything and if it helps, Rowen is a coward. He may fluff up like a rooster, but if he is challenged he will either run or fight dirty."

Gus had already started walking to the car before he had finished. He opened the door before he realized he needed to go to the left side of the car. He slammed the door and then rushed to the other side and after a nod of his head he was on the road heading toward home.

Gus didn't even notice Lindsay when he arrived home. He moved through the kitchen and went straight to the stairs. "Gus?" She called but he didn't stop. He went to his room and without thinking, he undressed and got in the shower. Once he was under the pounding water, he started playing through a lot of scenes at school. A group of guys talking, but when they saw him they lowered their voices so he couldn't hear them.

"He has been setting me up this whole time!" He shouted to the ceiling.

"Gus?" Lindsay's upset voice came through the door, "Are you alright in there?"

"Fine!" His voice came out harsh and short.

Lindsay left Gus' room and walked down to Grant's office. She wrapped her arms around his neck. "Hey, Love, was that Gus I just heard shout? Do I need to put him in his place?"

"It was Gus, but something is wrong. He came home late and went straight to his room. I came up to check on him and he just growled out one word."

"I'll go see if he wants to talk to me. He is used to talking to a man."

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?" Lindsay kissed his neck.

"You have, and I'd love for you to show me tonight."

Lindsay laughed, "I think I can manage that. Give him a couple minutes. He's in the shower." 

 

Grant gave his stepson fifteen minutes before walking down the hall to his room. He knocked and waited for him to respond. "Gus, can I come in?"

"Fine," Gus responded. As Grant entered Gus said, "Mom sent you, right? I shouldn't have yelled at her, but she never knows what to say anyway," Gus responded, but it was obvious he was distracted.

"Did something happen?"

 

Gus sighed and then, as he paced, told Grant about missing the road and going to the cliffs. He told him about Quinn showing up and their conversation about Rowen. "So, Rowen's been lying to all guys so all of them hate me. Now I have to figure out how to get the truth out without Fi getting angry with me." Gus dropped to his bed, putting his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. Grant sat next to him. "I've been trying so hard. I know Fi is with him and I tried to like him but I..." his voice cracked. "It's not fair to Shea. I don't want to lead her on. I like her but I don't think my heart will ever totally belong to anyone but Fiona."

"Gus, I am sure you feel that way now, but you are so young."

"Grant, I know you are trying to help but..."

Grant stood, "I'll leave you to get ready, Gus, but know, if you just want to talk, I'm here."

"I appreciate that, Grant. Now, I better get dressed. If you go downstairs, please tell Mom I'll be down in about fifteen minutes."

"I will, Gus."

As he got dressed, Gus started trying to come up with the best way to handle the situation. He decided to approach it head on. He tried to call his dad but Brian didn't answer, but by the time he drove to Shea's he had a plan.

 

Gus had gone to the door and met Shea's mother. Connie was an older version of her daughter. She was friendly and full of life. "Well, Gus Cain, it is so nice to meet you."

"It is nice to meet you, too, but my last name is Taylor-Kinney. We are related to the Cains, though."

"Awe, that's right. I met Brian Kinney once when you spent your time here and his partner, Justin Taylor has made quite a name for himself."

"Ya, Dad is really good. He always seems to have a big project developing."

"Ma, we need to get to the party."

"Have fun, and remember if you are going to be late to text." She took a couple photos of the couple and then they moved out to the car.

"Sorry about all that, Gus. Ma really likes to talk."

"I liked her," Gus said and then he focused on the road. His mind went back to his plan on how to deal with Rowen.

Shea talked for a couple minutes before she realized Gus wasn't paying any attention to her. After saying his name twice, she reached over and tapped his shoulder, "I hope I am not boring you," she snipped.

He flashed her a quick smile, "I'm sorry, Shea. I still keep forgetting what side of the road to drive on and..."

"And?" She smiled at him, letting him know she wasn't angry.

 

"You know what Rowen has been doing, don't you?" Out of the corner of his eye he saw her head drop.

After a haltering breath she said, "I'm sorry, Gus. I do know, but I... I didn't know what to do. Rowen can be fun but he can be cruel, and he knows things. Things that would kill my mother if he told her.

Gus pulled the car to the side of the road and turned to her, "Shea, has he hurt you? If he..."

"You know we went out a few times before he got with Fi. Well, for a while after he started seeing Fiona, he would still meet me and we would... Gus, we had sex. Fi wouldn't do it and he came to me and told me he would spread it around school that I was easy if I didn't keep seeing him. I finally convinced him Fi was getting suspicious."

"Or Fi started having sex with him," Gus thought out loud. "I'm sorry, Shea. He is a real ass."

"My mom doesn't know I've had sex. She is kind of old fashioned that way." She touched his cheek. "You are so sweet."

As Gus pulled back on the road lightning streaked across the sky. The only sound was the rumble of the motor and distant thunder as they drove the last mile. Before they got out of the car, Gus said, "I'm going to confront him tonight. I thought maybe I could reason with him. If I disappear for a while tonight, just figure I'm talking to him."

Shea looked at him, "Gus, be really careful. He isn't afraid to fight."

"Neither am I. You and Fiona are worth it." Gus started to open his door.

"Thanks, Gus," she smiled. "Oh, and as far as I know, Fi is as pure as the driven snow. Well, maybe not pure... but you know what I mean."

Gus got out and walked around to open Shea's door. He pulled her close and kissed her, "Thanks for that. It's just that she has been my best friend for almost all my life."

Shea looked up into his deep brown eyes and said, "Gus, I know you are a genuine guy. There aren't many like you. You treat me like a princess, but I know you who owns your heart. That silly girl will eventually see what's right in front of her." She stepped up on tiptoes and kissed him. "Now, let's go knock Rowan off his high horse and onto his arse."

Gus grinned, "You know if I hadn't been in love with Fi for as long as I can remember, I would be all over you." They move toward the door, arms around each other.

"Ya know, I wouldn't mind having you..." she laughed and as they felt the first drops of rain, they ran into the building.

 

Gus enjoyed himself on the dance floor with Shea, but also danced with a couple other girls he knew from classes. While he was out on the floor he kept an eye on Rowen. He lost track of him for a couple of moments. His mind quickly went to Fiona's safety, so he let out a sigh of relief when he saw her walking toward him.

"Hey, Shea, do you mind if I dance with Gus while Rowen is out having a smoke."

"He's all yours. I might go see if I can get a puff off of one of his fags."

Fi called after her friend, "You know those things will kill you." As Gus reached for Fi, the upbeat music that had been playing stopped and a slow, traditional waltz began. "You don't mind, do you?" she asked him. 

"Not at all," Fi stepped close to him but did leave a little space between them. "I think we learned how to do this dance back on the island, didn't we?"

"We did," Gus pulled her a little closer. "Fi, why are you going out with that asshole? Do you know what he has been doing? He has been telling everyone lies about me and that's why none of the guys want to hang out with me. Rowen is..." He pulled Fi even closer.

"Gus, he is really sweet when it is the two of us. He wants everyone to think he is the tough guy but..." Fi took a large step backward and Gus didn't have to ask why. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Rowen stride back inside one arm around Shea's neck until he saw Fi with Gus. He then dropped his arm from Gus' date and started moving toward them.

"Excuse me, Fi, but the time has come to get this sorted out."

"Gus, I don't think..." Fi began but Shea walked over and stopped her. "No, Fi. He needs to do this."

"But what if..."

"I think Gus can take care of himself."

"He can, when it's a fair fight." As they talked, they watched Gus approach Rowen, but although they couldn't hear what was said, Rowen followed Gus out the same door he had just entered.

 

"What is it, Yank?" Rowen asked Gus in a voice that was supposed to be friendly but Gus heard the sarcastic undertone.

Gus followed a path outside the building. He didn't want to turn to make sure Rowen was following but he was sure he heard footsteps behind him. What he couldn't tell was if it was just one person or a group. 

Once he thought they were far enough from the building to be out of range to be overheard, Gus turned to face Rowen. He was glad to see only one person behind him although he was sure there were a couple shadows several yards behind them.

"Rowen, I want to know why you are lying to everyone about me. You seem to be trying to make sure I'm not accepted here."

Rowen leaned against a light pole, "Could be I don't want you to get too comfortable here. You strode in here like a cock in a new hen house." He stood up and took a couple steps closer to Gus. "A pretty, rich boy with two fairy fathers. You come here trying to take my girl, but that's not going to happen. You see," he looked over his shoulder, making sure his backup was still waiting nearby. He lowered his voice so they couldn't hear what he said. "My mates will believe anything I say, so I talked shit about you and your family. They know how you are related to the Cain clan and most of them know they have murdered people. Then I told them you have been calling Fi trying to force her to come back to you. You will have no friends here. And as for Fi, that beauty will soon be mine in every sense of the word. I wonder if she is as soft and warm on the inside as she..."

 

At that moment the rain began again. There was a crash of thunder that distracted Rowen just long enough for Gus' fist to connect with his jaw. He gave him no time to raise his fists or for his bodyguards to make it to his side. Soon it was Gus against Rowen and his goons. He had never been in a fight before. After one of the boys landed a glancing blow to Gus' solar plexus a survival instinct kicked in. He had spent hours in martial arts classes at his school in Colorado.  He didn't want to hurt anyone. He just wanted to clear the air with Rowen and move on. Gus did well the first few moves, but then the fact it was three against one caught up with him. Rowen's buddies each got one of Gus' arms and held him while Rowen pummeled Gus' midsection.

Somewhere in the back of his mind he heard the word FIGHT float through the air and then more movement. The movement distracted Rowen enough for Gus to kick up and catch him center mass, sending him flying back about six feet just as the local garda rushed up. The two that were holding Gus up let go of him and he crumbled to the ground holding his stomach.

 

Gus had a vague memory of what happened after that but he wasn't fully conscious again until he was laying on an exam table, being poked and prodded by a young doctor. He tried to sit up but the woman laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Lay back while I'm checking you out. You took some hard blows. And after looking at the other three you got in a few punches yourself." She gave him a shot, "This should help the pain."

"Are they alright?"

A voice came from the corner of the room. He hadn't noticed the officer standing there. "Two have minor scrapes but young Rowen is being checked for a concussion and possibly a broken clavicle. You have some explaining to do."

"That will have to wait until my examination of Mr. Taylor-Kinney is completed. Stand there and be quiet."              

"But he is awake."

"Another word and you will wait out in the hall. This young man is no threat to me. He was thoroughly beaten. He was beaten by three others." 

The garda closed his mouth and said, "I will go check on the other three." He slipped out of the room.

"Thank you," Gus softly, cringing as the doctor pressed on his abdomen. A tear slipped down his cheek. "Do you know if my mom has been called? I think I'm in a lot of trouble."

"Yes, I was told your mom and dad are on their way, and you may be in some trouble but I am sure you didn't start this, did you?"

Gus didn't correct the doctor that Grant wasn't his dad. That wasn't important at this time. "Actually, I threw the first punch but it was because of what Rowen said." The pain med was affecting him now. "Is he mean? Do you know that guy?" His eyes were now fluttering shut.

"The garda is fair, and from the injuries, you may have started it but it is obvious they were ready for it and had a plan of sorts."

In a drug induced haze now, Gus mumbled, "I want my dads."

 

"Did Gus tell you he was having trouble?" Lindsay asked Grant as he flew down the road to the nearest hospital.

"My love," he told me Rowen was stirring up dust, but that is all he told me. "Did you get a hold of him?"

"I did. He will meet us at the hospital. I can't believe that my baby is in the hospital because three other boys attacked him."

"We haven't heard from Gus. We do need to find out the facts." Grant turned into the hospital parking lot and Lindsay was out before the car was turned off. "Lindsay," Grant grabbed her arm just before she got to the door. "You see if you can see Gus. I will talk to the garda and see what story they have." He took Lindsay in his arms and kissed her. "Please remember you are not in America right now. Our laws are different for children, and Gus is a child."

"What would I do without you here?" LIndsay said as she took his hand and they walked into the emergency unit together.

 

An hour later they were sitting in the waiting room. Gus had been sleeping but Lindsay was able to look in on him. His face was bruised and from the nurse's report, his stomach was also full of marks but far too soon they asked her to go sit in the waiting room while Gus went to have some tests done.

Lindz and Grant sat side by side in worn chairs. "What did you find out, Grant?"

"Gus admitted he did strike first, but it was because of something Rowen said. He also said the girls tried to come here but the garda sent them home."

"What could that boy have said to make our sweet Gus hit him?"

"I am sure it had to do with Fi."

"He does love her, doesn't he. He won't admit it but I'm sure it is killing him to see her with someone like him."

Grant wrapped his arms around her, "Shut your eyes for a few minutes, Love. They will get us when he wakes up."

 

Lindsay's eyes fluttered open when she felt a hand on her arm. "You're here!" she said in a loud whisper as she jumped up and hugged him. "Have you seen  him yet?"

"The nurse said he was just starting to stir.  Do you have any details? Why was Gus fighting with anyone?"

"Let's just talk to Gus and get it from him. He was on pain meds last night and he wasn't making a lot of sense." Lindsay and the new visitor walked toward the desk as Grant slept on.

 

"Gus, how are you feeling?" a nurse asked.

"My ribs really hurt. Are they broken?"

 

"There are a couple fractures which is why we taped them."

"Are you up to seeing your mom and dad now?"

Gus almost corrected her but he was fine with Grant coming in. In fact, she would probably help keep her calm. She tended to over react. "Sure. Did they stay here all night?"

"Your mom did, but your dad just arrived. I'll send them in right after you take this pill. I am hoping you don't need another shot but if the pain is too bad let a nurse know." She stepped in the hall letting the door close behind her.

Gus reached up to run his finger through his hair but had to stop as intense pain moved through his chest. He thought it was odd that Grant hadn't been here all night. He was so devoted to her.

Lindsay rushed into the room and over to her son, kissing his cheek and forehead. Gus smiled up at her and, seeing her concern, he said, "Mom, I'll be fine."

"Oh, Gus, thank god!" 

"DAD!" Gus' head snapped toward the door and there he saw Justin moving toward him. Then Justin was by his side and, as gently as he could, he held his son in his arms and Gus began to cry. "You're really here!  You didn't have to come. Wait, how are you here already?"

"Calm down, Gussy. You need to rest and I will be around as long as you need me."

"Dad, can you stay with me at least until I fall asleep. My med is starting to kick in and I want to know how you got here."

Justin carefully slipped into the bed next to his son. "All of the questions can wait until you get some sleep." Justin lay next to his son who was nearly a grown man. He brushed a lock of hair off his forehead. Although Gus appeared to be sleeping he softly said, "I'll take you back home if you want to come with me."