- Text Size +

 

Justin heard the knock on the door and called, "I've got it, Lindz." It was exactly 5:00.

"You can meet in the library.  That will give you some privacy," her voice came from the kitchen where she was working on dinner.

Opening the door he found a man about his age, and if a person can look like their voice, Robby Ryan looked as Justin had pictured him. "Mr. Ryan, please, come in." 

"Robbie, please." He offered his hand to Justin. "And you are Justin Taylor. I recognise you from some media event you had. Your image doesn't do you justice, just like photographs don't do your work justice." 

"Justin is good."

Robbie looked around the foyer, "This is a great old house. I can see the updates, but they kept the essence of the place." He commented as he followed Justin through a nearby doorway.

Justin directed him to a chair and sat down in a chair across from him. "I am sure Lindsay and Grant would love to show you around later, but right now, I am interested in knowing what you have found out about Rowen Brennan."

"Of course you are. How is Gus doing? It sounded like Brennan did a number on him."

"He did. Gus held his own against the three of them."

"I heard the last kick he got in is the one that broke his collarbone."

Justin looked at Robbie. He was about his height and had red hair and freckles. At first glance, he looked like an easy going, good natured person, but Justin immediately noticed a spark in his eyes that told him this man was much more than the first impression. "Yes, Gus has had about five years of martial arts, but I think this is the first time he had to use it in a real life situation."

"It was," Gus said as he moved into the library. "Since this is about me, I wanted to hear what's going on." He was still moving very slowly and Justin got up to help him sit down with no sudden jolts.

"Gus, this is Mr. Ryan. He is the lawyer your mom... Mel, called." Gus hadn't called her mom since he was kidnapped because of her.

Robbie stood and stepped over to Gus, extending his hand. "Just call me Robbie. Melanie and I have tried a few cases together. She's a great lawyer."

"Glad she's good at something," Gus mumbled.

"She told me that you two weren't close and said it was her fault, but she must love you or she wouldn't have contacted me."

Justin saw Gus was about to continue the conversation and knew they had other things to talk about. "Robbie, you were about to tell me what you had found out about the Brennan's."

"The family has tried to go legitimate, but old habits die hard. They are still a bit shady, but most of the clan is now keeping out of trouble. I think young Rowen is just proof that family traits run deep. I have heard he is trying to get his granda's attention."

"Robbie, I don't want to rush you, but more guests will be here soon. Is Gus going to be charged with anything?"

"Ah, I'm sorry. I have a tendency to be a blatherskite, especially when I start talking about the old mobs.The garda are not charging Gus with anything. However, although the Brennans have cleaned up their ways, they will still try to get something for nothing. And with your connection to their old enemies, the Cains, they may try to get money from you. It is well known that you and your husband have done very well financially."

"I just wanted to talk to him. He's the one that set up a trap. My dads shouldn't have to pay anything." Gus jumped up but then doubled over in pain. 

Justin rushed to him and had him sit down again. "Gussy, calm down." He sat on the arm of the chair and draped his arm around him.

Robbie dropped to his knees in front of Gus, and putting his hands on Gus' knees said, "I will take care of it. If I need you to come to court it will be to get money from them for the injuries he caused to you. I am ashamed at how my countryman has treated you." Robbie stood and said, "Why don't I go round up a cup of tea from your mother. Without waiting for a response, he stood and walked out of the room.

After he left Gus said, "Sorry, Dad. I just... maybe I should just go back to Colorado. I don't know how the other kids will react at school and I don't think Fi wants anything to do with me." He took a careful breath as tears began to run down his face. "Why am I feeling so... I don't even know how I feel."

"Awe, son, you have every right to feel unsettled, but I think some of it is because of the painkillers you have been taking. I'll contact the doctor tomorrow and see if he has something else you can take during the day and just take the strong stuff at night."

"I think it is making me feel weird but I still think I should go home."

"Gus, give it a couple days. Let Robbie get some things settled and Fi will be here tonight. You have always been able to talk to her and she has always been honest with you."

"Ya, but Dad, if she doesn't want anything to do with me... I don't know if I could handle it. You are only going to be here a few more days and..."

Justin leaned down and kissed the top of his head. "Let's take it one moment at a time and I can change my schedule if I need to. You are more important than any business meeting."

Moments later Lindsay walked in with water and was going to start asking questions, but Justin shook his head back and forth just enough so she would notice and mouthed the word, ‘later'. She leaned down and kissed Gus' cheek, handing him a mug of tea. "Kate, Quinn, and Fi will be here soon."

Justin replied, "We'll be out as soon as he finishes his tea."

After she had left them, Gus looked at Justin. "Thanks, Dad, for cutting her off. I love her but sometimes she just doesn't get the hint I need a little space." He looked up at Justin, "How can I answer questions when I don't have anything myself?" He took a sip of tea and set it down next to him. "And one more question," he smirked at his father. "Can you explain why they are so hooked on tea here?"

Justin smiled at him, "I like a cup now and then but, no, I could never figure that out either."

After finishing the tea, Justin had helped Gus stand up just as he heard the sound of a car pulling up. "Dad, I'll be out after I use the bathroom."

"Take your time. You might want to wash your face, too." His finger traced a trail left by a tear. "I won't send Fi in. Come find us when you are ready."

 

"Justin, it is so good to see you!" Kate hugged him and then stepped back and looked at him more closely. "I see a little age on you but in all the best ways."

"Thanks, Kate. You look wonderful! You look content."

"I am. I think we all are happy, although Fi talks about moving back to America. How is Gus?"

"Mom, quit hogging Justin." Fi walked up to them and Justin reached out and put an arm around her waist.  

"Fi, you aren't 12 anymore!" He looked at the stunning young woman. "You have turned into a beautiful young lady."

Fi blushed, "Thanks, Justin, but you are so sweet you would always say things like that." She kissed his cheek. "Gus told me you are around a couple more days. By the way, where is Gus?"

"He should be here in a minute."

Grant stepped up and said, "Lindsay said we have about half an hour until dinner is ready. I thought we could start going over our options for Gus. I can stay in here while the parents talk with Robbie."

"Sounds good to me," Robbie responded. "Maybe we can get this out of the way and then enjoy the rest of the weekend. Quinn, would you mind sitting in with us? You know the Brennans and their ways."

"Sure, no problem." 

Kate spoke up, "Grant, why don't you go with them. You're part of this co-parenting group. Fi and I can watch over the meal."

"I don't need to be there," Grant began. "I am not his father. I don't want to overstep."

Justin looked over at the man, "Please join us, Grant. Gus would like you to be part of it, I'm sure." He then looked at Kate, "Thanks, Kate."

Grant led the way into a formal living room at the front of the house. As soon as the group passed the door of the library, Gus slipped out and walked toward the kitchen. Justin stopped to watch his beautiful, strong son move slowly and carefully toward Fi's voice. 

Quinn put a hand on his shoulder, "Justin, he is on the mend and you are the best medicine he could have."

"Thanks, Quinn, but I think your daughter is all he really needs right now."

 

Gus slipped into the kitchen and saw Fi and Kate by the stove. He moved toward the kitchen island near them and had just sat down when Fiona turned around and let out a little cry in surprise. "Oh, Gus, I didn't hear you come in." She set a plate of food on the counter and walked around to Gus. She reached out to the now fading bruise on his cheek and rested her hand on it for a second. "It is looking better. How are you feeling?"

Before he could answer, Kate turned and looked at the two. "Well, Gus," she said in her lilting accent. "I am glad you are on the mend."

"Hi Kate." He turned back to Fi and took her hand. He squeezed it and then loosened the grip but didn't let it drop. "I'm still in some pain but I can tell it is getting better. Where was everyone else going?" He nodded toward the front of the house.

Kate came around and gave Gus a gentle hug, "We've been worried about you. They are talking with Robbie about possible outcomes."

"I think I will go see if I need to be worried."

"Gus, you don't have to worry. I think it is Rowen who should be shaking now."

"I hope so. I'll be back. I am going to listen to my own fate."

 

"So, the Brennans have left the Cain's alone recently?" Robbie was asking Quinn as Gus walked in.

"They have. It is the old Mr. Brennan, who had a few run-ins with my granda years ago that hasn't moved away from their old ways. It sounds like Rowen's da has made himself clear that he is no longer thinking the old way. That's why I hadn't worried too much about Fi spending time with him. I had no idea he had been spending so much time with the old man."

While he had talked, Gus walked over and sat on the arm of the chair Justin was sitting in. "So am I going to be able to leave the country? If I am, I think I should just go back to Colorado."

"Oh, Gus, NO," Lindsay responded. I was supposed to get you, sorry that sounds wrong but you know what I mean, until the spring."

"Mom, I just don't think..."

"Gus, let me take all this information to the judge tomorrow. Don't make any rash decisions."

Gus looked over at his mom and said, "I really do want to spend the rest of the time here but I've been so much trouble, and even if Rowen lightens up, how do I go back to school with everyone knowing I got him in trouble."

Justin rested an arm across one of Gus' legs, "I think Robbie's right. Let's see the outcome. Your dad and I would never say you must stay here and neither would your mom," He looked at Lindz who nodded slightly, "but you love Ireland."

Fiona stepped in the room and said, "Mama said dinner is ready to eat and it isn't her fault if everything dries out."

 

Everyone enjoyed the meal. They stayed away from what the judge would decide and the conversation drifted to the antics Fiona and Gus got to while growing up on the island so many years ago. By the end of the meal the conversation turned to stories between Quinn and Robbie about the old days of the mob. They had both grown up with the stories and the adults were all enjoying the conversation. They had called Brian and skyped him in so he could join in the conversation.

Fi looked at Gus and said, "Gus, you're looking tired. Why don't we go someplace so you can relax a little."

"Sounds like a plan," he said as he got up.

"Fi, why don't you grab a couple of those pastries I planned for dessert," Lindsay said. "Grab a couple waters or sodas, too." 

Soon Fi was following Gus up the steps. Even though he was still moving a little awkwardly, she couldn't help but look at his ass as he moved in front of her. His thick dark hair and trim body made him a perfect specimen. She knew some girls liked the boys who were broader and muscle bound, but Gus had muscles and was no weakling. Then she reprimanded herself. The last thing she needed was to get involved with Gus. He was her best friend and he would only be in the area a few months. She wouldn't risk their friendship over a fleeting relationship. As they entered his room she wondered if he would even be interested. She had basically lied to him. She had known some of the crap Rowen was doing.

Gus sank into a chair that was near the window while Fi set down the dessert and drinks on a little table next to him before she sat down on the bed. They had both joined in the conversation at dinner but they really hadn't spoken one on one since she had stopped by the day he had gotten out of the hospital. The silence finally got to her.

"Gus, I am so sorry. I should have known he was going to pull something like that. He had dropped enough hints along the way."

"Quinn said he got home before you did that day so he didn't have a chance to do anything?"

"He threatened me and it scared me, but Quinn wasn't playing. I have never seen him more angry. He kept himself in check but Rowen knew better than to push him. Quinn can seem very different when he goes into Cain mode."

"Cain mode?" Gus questioned.

"I just mean he was raised by a gangster and he doesn't show that side very often. He never liked the unlawful side of the family but he had learned a lot from that part of his life and Rowen knew he was serious." Fi knew she was rambling.

"Fiona, what do you think is going to happen at school? If Rowen is gone, do you think I can get some of them to interact with me? Do you think some of them will accept me?"

"I know a lot of the kids wanted to be friends but they were too scared of Rowen to do that."

"Is that true or are you just saying that to make me feel better?"

Fi stood and walked over to Gus' chair. Gus took his feet off the footrest and she pulled the ottoman up next to it. She sat on it and took his hand. The warmth of her hand sent an involuntary shiver through him. "Are you cold? I can get you a blanket?" Fi commented in response.

Gus shook his head. "No, I'm good. So was what you said true?"

"Gus, Rowen had everyone under his control. He has always been a leader and when he was a kid, he might have been a little pushy, but over time he started being more and more of a bully. I should have known better. I was sure he wouldn't act like that with me. I was so wrong and all this is my fault." Tears rolled down her cheek as she leaned into him, careful not to cause him pain.

Gus put an arm around her and whispered, "Ah, Fi, you aren't to blame. It isn't your fault you are the most amazing person in the world."

Fiona turned to look at him and before either realized it, their lips brushed against each other. Gus pulled her closer to deepen the kiss but had to stop as pain ran through his side. "Shit!"

She jumped up and away from him, "Oh, I shouldn't have... I can't do anything right."

Gus stood, stepping over to her. He wrapped his arms around her from behind her, "I am healing. I was the one that thought he'd play fair," he whispered in her ear. He turned Fi around and this time, nothing got in the way. He pulled her near and this time he was much less gentle as his mouth again went to hers and as her arms went around his neck. 

After a couple minutes, they both nearly jumped apart. "Fi, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I know you are still... I don't know where you are with your relationship with Rowen. Neither of us..."

"You can't think I would ever go back to him after what he did to you and then he threatened me! If I can help it, I will never speak to him again, even if I have to see him." She realized she was talking too loudly. She took a deep breath. How could one kiss have her feeling like this? Kissing Rowen had never made her feel like this. "I didn't mean to yell. The only thing wrong about that kiss is that I... my mind isn't in the right place."

From the hall they both heard footsteps and then a tap on the door. "Fi, we are about to leave," Kate said from the other side of the door."

"You can come in, Kate." Gus put more space between Fi and himself. 

She entered the room and looked from Gus to her daughter, "Sorry to interrupt but we need to get home. Robbie is ready to settle down for the night and since we run the B and B..." She smiled at the young people.

"That's okay. I am getting really tired anyway and I am going back to school tomorrow, for at least part of the day."

"I'm ready to go, Mama." Fi turned to Gus and said, "I'll see you tomorrow. If you need any help tomorrow, let me know." She kissed his cheek and walked to the door.

"Thanks, I should be fine. Goodnight."

As Fi and Kate approached the steps, Kate stopped her daughter. "I don't need to know what is going on, Love, but I will listen anytime you want to talk."

"Thanks, Mama. I am not sure what is going on but I do know I need to keep some space between Gus and me. He confuses me."

Kate hugged her, "Awe, honey, I understand that and I think Gus understands too. Give yourself time. You have plenty of time."

 

After Fi had left, Gus washed his face and laid on his bed. He jumped when his phone rang. He looked at it and answered, "Hey, Dad." His voice was a little flat.

Brian heard the inflection immediately. "What's going on, Gus? Justin said you were having dinner with the family tonight. Is your pain worse?"

"No, I'm doing ok."

"Gus, you know your dad is the one who has all the right words and I know he is still there. For me, you just need to spell it out."

Gus took a deep breath and said, "I don't know what to expect with the judge tomorrow, and I don't know if I want to go back to school here, and... I'm in love with Fi, Dad. I didn't mean to fall in love with her but I did."

"Oh, Gus, not the best timing, huh?"

"Dad, I just want to pack and go back to Colorado, but I really don't want to leave Fi now but she is more confused than I am and..." Brian texted Justin that Gus might need him.

"Gus, does Fi feel the same way?"

"I don't know. She is confused about Rowen and..."

Justin stepped in the door and listened to Brian's voice on speaker phone, talking to their son. "Gus, you know I'd love for you to come home, but what I want probably isn't what is right for you. We all miss you, but I think, as long as you are safe, you should try to stick it out."

Gus was a bit surprised when Justin sat on the edge of his bed. Justin said, "Gus, I agree with him. Hi, Bri." Justin said, putting his head next to Gus'. 

"Gus I love you and I will welcome you home with open arms anytime you want to come here, but why don't we talk tomorrow after school. Then we will know what the judge has said and Justin will have some promises from the school. Does that sound fair?"

"Ya, I know I'm not thinking straight."

"Love will do that to you. Everytime I see your dad, my heart skips a beat and right now, I would really like him here with me." 

"I love you, too, Brian. I'll call you later."

"Love you both. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"I love you, too, Dad, and tell the kids I will talk to them tomorrow."

The call was completed and Justin looked at Gus, "Love?"

Gus told Justin about his time with Fi. "Dad, you know we have loved each other for a long time but something changed tonight. Dad, I'm in love with her. This isn't just a kid thing." He sat up and hugged him. "Should I just go home?" Gus then pulled away a bit and looked at his dad. 

"I heard what Brian said. I plan to talk to the school dean tomorrow before I go to the courthouse."

Gus sat up straighter and then said, "Dad, can I go with you to the trial, or whatever it is? I want to see Rowen. He'll be there, right?"

"Yes, he will be. You know you aren't in any trouble with that, right?"

"I am not going to run. I can't. I need to see what might be between Fiona and me. I want to show the judge what Rowen did to me and I want to face him to show him I'm not going to back down."