- Text Size +

 

The next morning, Lindsay and Justin left the house together. Justin had made an appointment with the dean of the school and Lindsay insisted on going along. He would be leaving for Italy the next morning and he needed to know Gus was safe here, or he would send him home. His first instinct was to book the ticket, but his son was in love. Gus needed enough time to know if it was the real thing or if it was just memories from the past.

When Gus' parents left the school, they both felt reassured that the school was looking out for Gus. They were assured that Rowen Brennon was no longer welcome at this institution. Now they could just hope that the judge also restricted Rowen.

Grant and Gus were waiting at the hearing room when Lindsay and Justin walked in. Grant put an arm around his wife's waist and said, "So, what happened at the school?"

"We were assured that Rowen will never be allowed to return to this school," Lindsay said as she rested her head on his shoulder for a moment.

Gus looked to his dad for reassurance, "He really won't be back?"

"No, even if the ruling is for leniency, Rowen won't feel welcome around here." The voice came from behind them. Robbie Ryan, Esquire, strode up. He looked up at Gus' strained face, "Young man, you are not at fault here and I will make sure that is clear, although I think the judge knows that. He is a fair and intelligent man."

Moments later the small group were called into the hearing room. Gus had not prepared himself for seeing Rowen again. He immediately made note that Rowen still had his arm in a sling, but had no other signs of the fight. For a split second, when their eyes met, Gus was sure he was going to come over the table at him. But then he realized Rowen's look wasn't hatred, but instead, fear. He sat between two men. Gus was sure the one was a lawyer, since he was standing up and offering his hand to Robbie. The other man had to be Rowen's father. He glowered at his son. Robbie finished his words with the other lawyer and guided Gus to his seat.

It was only moments later when they were told to rise and the judge walked in. It was less than fifteen minutes later when they rose again and the judge strode out. Lindsay reached for Gus and gave him a big hug.

"Is it really over? I'm totally in the clear?" Gus said as he moved for a hug from his father as well.

"Yes, Gus, you are free and clear," Robbie patted his shoulder. "Unlike the lad Rowen," he said softly. He looked over Gus' shoulder as a bailiff led Rowen away. 

"So, he is really going to jail?"

"He will be here for a couple days before he is escorted to his army training," Robbie responded.

"Excuse me," a deep voice came from behind.

No one had heard Mr. Brennan walk up behind them. Gus turned around and said, "Sir, I am sorry about Rowen. I never wanted to..."

"It isn't your fault, lad. My father tried to get Rowen back into the old ways. The Army will do him good. He needs to learn how to get respect and give it. My father will not be alive when he gets out. He has cancer and, unless there is a miracle, and he doesn't deserve any, he won't be around this time next year so, in some ways, this may have saved my son's life. I do regret that he injured you so badly."

Justin slipped his arm around Gus' waist as he stepped up and offered his hand to Mr. Brennan.  "Gus is getting better and there was no permanent damage. We wish Rowen all the best."

"Well, that is all I wanted to say. I am supposed to have a chance to talk to him before he leaves, so I will be off." The men shook hands again and Mr. Brennan left the hearing room.

"Oh, Gus, I am so glad you will be staying here." Lindsay hugged her son while Grant patted his back. 

"Can we just get out of here? I need to go to school," Gus said, not liking all the attention. He walked toward the door. As they got to the outside door he turned to Justin, "You'll be here tonight, right?"

"Yes, I will leave in the morning,"

"Ok, well, I'm going to school." With that, Gus walked away without turning around.

 

When Gus entered the school he found Shea waiting at the door. "Gus, what happened? What did the judge say to you and Rowen?"

Gus looked at the girl he had taken to that eventful dance and now he could see that she had only been going out with him because of Rowen. Rowen wasn't interested in her for anything but sex. "Hate to disappoint you, but I will be completing the year here."

"Oh, Gus, that doesn't disappoint me. I didn't mean..." She looked into his eyes and continued, "He made me do it. He knew I loved him and would do anything for him." 

Gus noticed she kept looking toward the courthouse across the road. "Shea, he isn't coming back to school. The judge basically told me it was a set up and Rowen was to blame."

"Where is he? Is he still talking to the judge?"

"Shea, I don't think I should be talking to you about this."

"Gus, you have to tell me."

Before Gus could say anything, the school dean walked out of his office and interrupted them, "Shea, please come in my office and let Mr. Taylor-Kinney go to class." He nodded at Gus who slipped down the hall.

Before he made it to his classroom, someone grabbed his arm from a doorway and pulled him into the opening. Fiona let go of him and didn't have to say a word. Gus touched her cheek and said, "He is going into the military." 

Fi nodded and asked, "You staying?"

"Do you want me to?"

"I think I do, but..."

"Let me know when you're ready." He gave her a quick kiss and left her standing there.

 

Justin left the next morning and Gus fell into a new routine. School was much more enjoyable now that Rowen and the other two that had helped him with the attack were no longer in the building, He soon had evenings full of school activities and invitations to go to parties and the movies. He didn't accept all of them, but if he knew Fi was going to be there he went. 

Fiona had put space between them. The fact that she had dated Rowen and he had then nearly killed Gus had her confused. Gus had assured her he didn't blame her, but if she wanted space he would wait for her.

 

As Christmas neared, Gus got excited for his family's arrival. He also would be spending nearly two weeks with Fiona around because their families would be together most of the time. Brian, Justin, and the kids were staying with Kate and Quinn. Gus had the option to stay where he was, but he wanted to spend as much time as he could with his Colorado family. He never thought he would miss Aaron and Jessi as much as he did, and he had seen Justin recently, but he couldn't wait to spend time with Brian. 

As Gus packed a bag with a couple days worth of clothes. He knew he could stop by every couple of days and get more clothes and he figured his dads would want to spend a little time with Lindsay, too. Justin had just spent time with her but Brian hadn't spent real time with her for a few years. Lindz and Brian had always had a connection. They had become friends in college and for several years she was one of his landing spots. Once Justin came into his life the main connection was Gus. 

Grabbing his bag and throwing it over his shoulder, he moved down the stairs. He noticed a little twinge when he had picked up his bag, but the bruises had healed and he had been cleared to start martial arts again. Even though he hadn't done much of that in a couple of years, he now had an urge to get back into furthering his training. Lindsay was in the kitchen when he came into the room.

"Gus, are you sure you want to stay at the B&B? Won't it be hard to be so close to Fi?"

"I hope it will be hard for her," he said with a sly smile. "I promised I wouldn't press her, but..." He put his arms out, "How can she resist this?" He put his arms around his mom and kissed her cheek.   

Lindsay saw the doubt in her son's eyes even though he sounded confident. "Just remember, you can always come here and get away for a bit. If you want, your brother could stay here, too."

"Thanks, Mom. I'm going to just go hang out on the cliffs until they get here. I know they are getting close, Aaron texted me they were leaving the airport about half an hour ago." He slipped on his coat.

Lindsay wrapped a warm scarf around his neck. "If you get cold, wait in the car until they get here." She kissed his cheek. "I love you, Gus."

He opened the door and took his keys off a hook, "Love you, too, Mom. I will probably see you in a day or two. I know you are talking about having us over for something called forty clove garlic chicken." He winked at her and strode out the door. As he got into his car he realized he couldn't remember the whole story about that chicken recipe, but it was something his mom had made once for his dad and his dad didn't show up until hours after he was supposed to be there. 

He drove to the family's favorite spot. It was always breezy up there, but today it was chilly up there. He texted Aaron and let him know he was at the cliffs, but before he got the response back he saw a vehicle in the distance. Moments later he was sure it was his family and he wasn't sure who he would hug first. Knowing his sister, she wouldn't give him an option but to hug her first.

As the car turned into the parking area, he couldn't help but smile. Jessi was already leaning out the window and before Brian could put the car in park, she was already running into her big brother's arms. 

"Oh, Gus, you're really here!" Gus wrapped his arms around her and spun her around.

"I should be the one saying that. Damn, Jessi, I've only been gone for three months but you look three years older." He said as he set her back down just as Aaron came over to them. Aaron gently hugged his big brother. "I'm all healed, bro. Give me a real hug."

With that Aaron tightened his grasp around him. And then Justin and Brian were by their children and Brian's long arms wrapped around his oldest son and Gus leaned into him. "Gus, you're really all better?"

"Ya, Dad, I'm fine. I missed you." Gus buried his face in Brian's shoulder. 

"Damn, son," Brian said softly. "I have missed you, too. I wanted to come over but..."

"You had Aaron and Jess to think of. I had Dad here." Then Gus added, "And Mom and Grant were here."

The two separated and Brian added, "I don't know which one of you kids is growing faster. In three months you grew an inch or so, haven't you?"

"Ya, my pants are getting short." Gus grinned at his dad and Brian couldn't stop himself from giving him a big kiss on the cheek.  

"My turn," Justin said as he pushed between Brian and Gus. He kissed Gus' other cheek and said, "You look so much better."

"I am. I am healed up and school is great now, like I've been telling you."

"And Fi?"

"Can we go see Fi and Kate? I miss them," Jess interrupted. "I want to see them and the house I don't remember."

 

Aaron rode with Gus to the B&B. "So, little bro, do you really have a boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?" Aaron questioned.

"Don't act innocent. Jessi told me you did."

"She has a big mouth, but... I really like Teddy, but he hasn't shown me that he likes me like that. He's nervous about being called gay."

"Well, Aaron, you love who you love. I'm glad you have Teddy, whether it is just friends or more."

"Thanks, Gus. I wanted to talk to you about it but I just wasn't sure how to do it."

"Aaron, I know I give you a bad time, but that's what big brothers are supposed to do. You're my little brother. You can always talk to me."

 

Gus followed his dads and pulled up to the house that overlooked the cliffs half a mile away. As they all clambered out of the vehicles, Kate, Quinn, and Fiona came rushing out the door and everyone was hugging and talking at once, except for Gus. He had just done that with his family a little while ago.

Jessi rushed to Fiona and the girls hugged. "Wow, Jessi, you have grown so much!  You were just a little girl and now, we need to talk about your boyfriend later."

"How do you know I have a boyfriend?" Jessi asked.

"You do, don't you?"

Jessi giggled as she moved to Kate's arms while Aaron, bashfully, walked over to Fi. "Hi, Fi."

Fiona looked at Aaron, "You aren't a kid anymore, Aaron!" She reached out and he moved closer for a hug.

Gus observed his brother and wished he was standing there instead. As he was deep in thought, an arm draped over his shoulder. He turned and looked into Brian's eyes, so much like his own. "Still no communication between you two?"

"Not the kind I want. We talk in school when we have things to talk about, but never outside of school activities."

"Maybe we can work on that while we're here."

"Dad," Gus looked at Brian and had to smile. "Try to work your magic, but please don't make it worse for me."

Brian ruffled his hair like he had done so many times when he was younger, "Just remember you are very young for making life decisions."

"I'm the same age as Dad was when you two got together."

Before Brian could respond, Quinn spoke up, "Let's get inside. It is much warmer there and if I'm not mistaken, it is going to get wet out here soon."

 

Fi and Quinn showed their friends to their rooms. Brian and Justin were staying on the second floor along with Quinn and Kate, and the four kids were sleeping on the third floor where Fi's room was located. Gus groaned inwardly at the thought of having Fiona so close. He had Jessi's suitcase and followed her into the room she was going to sleep in. It was connected to Aaron's and they would share a bathroom. "Why don't you unpack your suitcase. Your clothes will get rid of some of the wrinkles from packing. I think I am down at the end of the hall."

"Ya, right next to Fiona. You know you two belong together. Work your magic, Gus. Make her fall in love with you. I want her for a sister." He was glad she was speaking softly.

"Please, Jess, don't say anything to her, okay? She's had a rough time after she found out what a jerk her boyfriend was. And I think she feels a little guilty that I got hurt, but I'm okay now and Rowen is out of the area. I can wait for her."

"I'm not a baby anymore. I won't do anything stupid. Now, let me unpack. You don't have to see my unmentionables," she looked at him over the shoulder and swung her hips as she opened her luggage. Gus kissed the top of her head and went out to check on Aaron.

 

Brian and Justin had put their clothes away in the closet and the dresser that was in the room.  They happened to be in the same room they were in for the three months they lived here. Justin looked out the window and Brian came up behind him and enclosed his husband pulling him tightly against him. "What were you looking at, Sunshine?"

"I was looking at the garden house. I remember spending time out there with my art."

"Yes, and you spent time away from me there." He kissed Justin below his right ear, feeling his pulse beating steadily.

Justin turned and put his arms around Brian's neck. "I sometimes wonder why you have put up with my artist's tantrums all these years."

"For the same reason you have put up with me... It's our fabulous bodies!" He stifled Justin's laugh with his mouth. 

Justin pulled away from him and locked the door to the hall. "I think we have time to explore those bodies for a while."

"Fuck. And that is another reason I love you so much. You have such a brilliant mind." Brian tugged off his shirt and moments later the bed covers were on a chair and the naked men had arms and legs entwined as their mouths began to explore each other, leaving ribbons of heated flesh.

"Damn, I love you!" Brian said as he moved down Justin's chest.

"How could you resist? I've had power over you for over 16 years," Justin said and then inhaled deeply as Brian's scalding mouth surrounded his now hard cock. "Oh, Brian, you know you are the only man I have ever loved!" He got it out just before he exploded deep in Brian's throat.

 

Gus knocked on the door to Aaron's room and Aaron called out, "Come in, Gus."

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Well, I can hear Jess unpacking in there and you and I both know what our dads are probably up to." Aaron had emptied his suitcase and was now pulling out his chargers for his tablet and phone.

Gus laughed at his brother's comment, "You are probably right. You know it is kind of cool that they are still so hot for each other, right?" Gus dropped down onto his brother's bed.

"Ya, I know it is. You're the one that used to make a big deal about them being in love." Aaron walked over to Gus and sat next to him. "I think Fi's that person for you."

"Aaron, I wish that was true, but right now, we are both just too young to know that. She can barely look at me right now."

"Gus, she sees you. She just can't have you know that right now."

Gus looked at his younger brother, "I am not sure I know what you mean by that, but you have always been far smarter than I am."

"I'm not smarter than you. We just think differently. I just seem to notice some stuff."

"Does that work for yourself? You should be able to realize if Teddy likes you or not."

"Oh, I know he does. I just don't know if he will be able to get past the fact that we are both guys. Why does he even have to think about it?  We are just two people that like each other. Have you ever liked a guy like that?"

"I haven't, but not that I wouldn't have. I think it is just because I had Fi for so many years."

"Gus, are you in there with Aaron?" Fi's voice made Gus jump to his feet.

"Ya, we're both in here. What's up?" Gus reached up to check his hair and Aaron laughed.

"Fiona, you can come in. We are just talking." Aaron said, opening the door for her. "Did you need us to do something?"

"Aaron, you never change." Fi wrapped her arms around him and kissed the top of his head. "Mama was wondering if we could get the Christmas decorations out of the attic. We are going to decorate the tree tonight."

"Sure, I'll go get Jessi." Aaron left the room to go get her, leaving Gus and Fi standing alone for just a moment.

Fi instantly fidgeted a bit and mumbled something about asking her mom something and that the door was open to the storage room. She rushed past Aaron and Jessi as they stepped out of the room. Gus watched her go down the steps and then looked at his siblings. 

"I told you Gus, she likes you, too."

"Aaron, how can you say that? She couldn't wait to get away from me."

"Gus, she's not trying to get away from you. She just doesn't know how to be with you right now."

"Aaron, why do you always have to talk weird like that? It is just obvious that they belong together. They have to be the two hottest kids in their school." Jessi smiled at Gus. "Do you think she will ask me to be a bride's maid?"

Gus growled at her a little and smiled at his sister, "Let's go get some ornaments. We have a tree to trim tonight. As they walked toward an open door at the other end of the hall, Fi reappeared and the four of them sorted out all the boxes that had Christmas written on them.

 

Kate had made a wonderful dinner of lamb stew and homemade soda bread. It was an early meal because the new arrivals were starting to feel the jet lag. By 8:00, the tree was decorated and many other embellishments were placed throughout the house. By then, Jessi was curled up in a chair and Aaron was leaning against Brian to remain upright.

Justin looked at his younger children and said, "Why don't you two go to bed. We have a couple weeks to catch up."

Jessi stretched and Aaron walked over to offer his hand to help her stand up. Kate smiled at the two and said, "Will you let me take you to bed like I did when you were wee ones? I would love to tuck you in."

Brian and Justin kissed the kids goodnight and then Kate walked with them out of the room and up the stairs. "I think they have the right idea. I would love to stay up and talk," Brian said to Quinn, "but I am exhausted."

"As Justin just said, we have many days to catch up. Go to bed, and these two," he looked at Gus and Fi, "will help me get these boxes tucked away." 

 

Gus and Fi brought up the last of the empty boxes. As Fiona leaned over to place a smaller box between two larger ones she lost her balance. Just as she started to prepare herself for a crash on the boxes, she felt strong arms coming around her and pulling her back until she was in an upright position. "Woah, Fi, you're alright. I've got you."

On reflex, Fi wrapped her arms around Gus' neck. "That was close. I was sure I was going to end up on the floor like all those crumpled boxes."

Gus loosened his grip just a little and Fi put just a breath of space between them. Gus pressed a kiss on Fiona's forehead and then, locking eyes with her, he began to move a little closer as his eyes locked on her lips. 

As Fi felt his breath brush over her face, she pushed him back gently. "Gus, I just can't." 

Gus took a couple steps backward. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I promise I won't do that again."

"Gus, don't stop trying, just let it be my choice, like you just did. One day I'll be ready. I really will be."