- Text Size +

 

The next week the two families took day trips to visit a couple of sites they had visited before and a couple of places the kids were too young to enjoy when they had been here earlier. On Christmas Eve the eight of them went to a small village that was decorated as if it was from the story of the Christmas Carol, along with carolers on the corners and wreaths on every window. They all separated into groups of two to buy gifts for each other. Jessi went with Fi, and Gus went with Aaron. They set a time to meet the parents at a pub to have hot apple cider before leaving for home.

Jessi and Fi walked into a shop that sold woolens. They looked at plaid scarves first. An older woman walked up and asked, "Are you looking for something special, ladies?"

Jessi smiled at her and said, "I don't know a lot about plaids and clans but do you know if you have the Cain tartan? My grandpa is a Cain and I think he would like something like that."

"You don't mean Kevin Cain do you?" the lady inquired.

"You know my grandpa?"

"I do. We went to school together when we were wee ones. Since you are American I thought it could be him. I have heard the story of his family. How is he doing?"

"Grandpa is good. He might come live with us if he ever retires for good."

"I am glad to hear that." She started looking through a pile of scarves she had on the bottom shelf of a cupboard. "I thought I still had one... here it is!" She had a deep green and navy blue cloth in her hand.

"Oh, Grandpa will like that. I'll take that one." Jessi reached out and touched the material. "That is soft and it feels warm for when he is in Pittsburgh, or visiting us in Colorado."

Fi felt the material, too. "Do you have another one of those?"

"Let me check." She handed the chosen scarf to Jessi and she stepped into a back room..

"Fi, are you getting one for Quinn?" Jessi asked.

"I am thinking about it or..."

"Oh, you want to get it for Gus." She dragged out her brother's name.

"Do you think he would like it, or is it stupid?" Fi asked Jessi.

"He would love anything from you." Jessi looked at her, "Are you ever going to put him out of his misery and tell him you love him?"

"Love him? I don't... I just don't know why he would love me. I almost got him killed, and he is the most gorgeous, smartest, sweetest, and..." She stopped as the lady came out of the back.

"I found one more! This one is longer and a little narrower but it is the same plaid."

"That one will be perfect for Gus. In Colorado it gets cold so he can wrap it around his neck more than once."

"And if he is like the other Cains, he is tall and lean." Both Jessi and Fi saw the sparkle in the older woman's eye.

"We'll take both of them," Fi said and they moved to the register.

"Can you tell us where we can get sweaters and other knit stuff?" Jessi asked.

As they each paid for a scarf, the older woman told them about two different places to buy knitwear. Jessi took one of the business cards that were by the register. She wanted to see if her grandpa would remember this woman since she definitely remembered him.

The girls walked out with their purchases, linked arms, and headed toward the next shop.

 

Aaron and Gus entered a little shop after Aaron saw something he thought Teddy would like. "Gus, do you think Teddy would like this old telescope? I mean it isn't really a good one but it is really cool looking."

"Aaron, I don't know him but I would say he would love anything you gave him, and it is obvious you know what he is interested in. It is really cool."

The boys looked around the store and decided they would get their dads an antique lead crystal decanter that Gus spotted. "Do you think this is enough of a gift from the two of us? I mean it is an old, second hand bottle."

"Aaron, you are a very smart kid but, trust me, this is more than an old bottle."

"How do you know about it?" Aaron asked.

"One time, a long time ago, Dad Justin and I were in Georgia and we saw something like this in a museum and Dad couldn't stop talking about it. I went home and looked it up. I was pretty young but I looked up glass bottles. I guess I just stayed interested and have looked up a lot of types."

"Whatever, I believe you. We still need to find something for Jess. Our dads said they would take care of Quinn and Kate. Oh, are you getting Fiona something? I bet she would like that even though she wouldn't expect it."

"Ya, I was thinking about it, but I just don't know what I would give her. I mean, I wish she was my girlfriend but right now we are just friends."

"Let's pay for this and go find something for the girls."

As a middle aged man checked them out he said, "How old are the ladies you are looking to buy gifts for?"

"Our sister is 11 and his girl... his friend is 17," Aaron said.

"I would suggest you go to the little shop with the red door that is just around the corner. It is definitely a shop filled with lovely new items for your sister but for your friend, may I show you something?" the teller asked.

"Sure," Gus said. "I really don't have any idea what to give her."

The man reached below the counter and brought out a box that he opened and picked up a tray inside. On the tray lay a fine chain with a small pendant on it. "This is a claddagh," he pointed to the charm. "This is a sign of friendship, love, and loyalty. The kind of love that you feel for a friend and sometimes friends move to another level. I overheard your conversation and it sounds like you would like this special someone to be more than a friend, so I thought this would be perfect. Friendship, love, and loyalty should always go hand in hand."

The hands of the claddagh were holding a small green stone in the shape of a heart. It was stunning. "It looks really expensive. How much is it?"

"Well, it isn't cheap, but from the look of the credit card I don't think money is a real problem. But I won't charge you more than it is marked, and since you are buying two items that have been in the shop for a long time, I will give you a 10% discount." He showed Gus the price tag attached to the chain and, after a little mental calculation Gus nodded. 

"I will take them both, but can I have them rung separately? I want to pay for the necklace myself, not the credit card."

The clerk smiled, "I like you, young man. I hope the lass comes to her senses."

 

It was about 3:30 when they met back at the pub. Everyone was keeping packages close so no one would get a peak in the wrong bag. After everyone had a hot drink and a few appetizers, they all headed back to the B&B. They would have a late dinner, giving everyone time to wrap their gifts and dress up a little bit for Christmas dinner. 

When they arrived home, Kate's parents were already there working on different dishes for the meal. After greeting them, everyone went their own way to wrap presents. Kate had rolls of paper, scissors, and tape located on the second floor. Brian and Justin went upstairs to see if any of their kids needed some help. The youngest two shooed them away, but Gus called them inside.

"We didn't think you would need our help, Gus." Justin walked over and gave him a hug. 

"I am guessing you don't need help wrapping something," Brian commented. "What did you get Fi?"

He pulled out the small wooden box the clerk had put the necklace in and handed it to Brian. "Tell me if this is too much. I had already gotten her something that I could give her instead."

Brian opened the box and after looking at it, he handed it to Justin. "That is a beautiful piece of jewelry."

"It really is, Gus. I don't think it is too much. The claddagh is perfect. You two have been friends for so long. No matter where your relationship goes, I think you will always love each other."

"The piece looks very old. I don't care if you did, but did you put it on your credit card? The bank will contact me if it is above the limit I set for you per month."

"No, Dad, I had money I saved, but just so you are aware, it is none of your business at Christmas to see how much we are spending. Aaron and I bought a couple things together and I really am not sure if we put it on my card or his."

"And as much as your sister can spend, I will let the accountant know to expect it," Brian said with a smile. He then touched Gus' chin. "Fiona will love it. And Gus, if I haven't lost my ability to recognize that look, she loves you, too."

"Thanks, Dads. I needed to hear that. I have missed you both." Gus looked at his watch, "I need to get this wrapped and get ready for dinner." The three hugged and Brian and Justin left to get ready for dinner themselves.

 

Gus stepped out of the door at the same time Fiona opened her door. Gus stood there almost holding his breath. He had put on a pair of brown corduroy pants and an ivory wool sweater that had accents in deep red that Lindsay had gotten for him. Fi had put on a cream blouse with a crimson velvet skirt. "You look..." Gus started, but Fi interrupted.

"I know. It makes me look like a frump. It is just sort of a tradition that Mama and I wear similar outfits on Christmas Eve."

"I remember that, but there is nothing frumpy about this." He reached out and brushed a strand of hair behind his ear. "You are always beautiful but tonight you are stunning." He took a step toward her but stopped himself. "I brought my presents down earlier. Do you need help with anything?"

"No. I have everything downstairs except for this one," she said as she picked up a flat box next to her door, "and I'll carry this one."

Gus smiled, "Is that for me?"

She blushed a little, adding a rosy glow to her cheeks. Why was she suddenly nervous? "I wanted to get you something. I hope you like it." Gus reached for her hand and they descended the staircase.

Kate saw them coming down and nudged Justin, who was standing next to her. One by one everyone noticed them walking down the steps. Jessi whistled softly and then said, "They look perfect together." 

Aaron leaned close to her and said, "Wait until you see her present from Gus."

"Is it romantic?" Jess asked.

Aaron thought for just a second and softly said, "Yes, it is very romantic."

"Oooo, I can't wait to see it." Jess whispered back.

Kate walked over to her daughter. They were wearing the same style skirt but different cream colored tops. "You look lovely, Fiona, and Gus, you are very handsome."

"You two even match," Jessi shared. 

"Give us a few minutes and dinner will be ready." Kate and her mother walked out arm in arm.

"Can I help?" Justin asked.

"No, we have it all ready. We'll just be putting the food on the table."

 

Fifteen minutes later, everyone was around the table passing plates and bowls, helping each other load their plates. Gus sat between Aaron and Jess and across from Fi. He made sure they both got the food they wanted and helped pass the heavy platters when Jessi couldn't quite manage.

Everyone found their favorite dishes and everyone ate until they were stuffed. "May I make a suggestion," Quinn said, standing up. "Let's go open the gifts under the tree and then we can dig into the sticky toffee pudding and the pies I saw in the kitchen."

"That works for me!" Jessi agreed, pushing her chair back a little. She almost jumped up but then remembered she wasn't six anymore so she regained her composure as she stood and started to walk toward the door. Brian caught her around the waist and pulled her against him. He tilted his head back and Jessi smiled and kissed his cheek. "Are you coming, everyone?"

"We're coming," Kate stood and leaned against Quinn as he encircled his wife with his arms. She looked up at him and he kissed her. He then stretched his arm out to his step daughter and Fi walked over to join her parents. In groups of two and three, they all walked into the living room where the large tree glowed from the lights that filled every branch and made the ornaments sparkle. 

Gus came up behind Fi and softly said, "I have something but I'll give it to you later."

"Ok." Fi smiled but was a little confused.

Soon Jessi had spread out boxes and bags to everyone and soon there was paper and emptied bags everywhere. Everyone was showing off what they received. Brian and Justin loved the decanter the boys had picked for them and the scarves Jessi gave them would be perfect for the mountain ranch. Jessi and Aaron had small gifts their dads had bought earlier in the day but they had gotten gifts before they came to Ireland. 

Brian and Justin had brought some gifts for Gus from the states. They brought some shoes he had wanted and a new computer for him. In the village they had bought some local specialties the shopkeeper had assured them teen boys liked. These are great, Dads." Gus left the one from Fi for last. He made sure she was watching when he lifted the lid on a thin box. He flipped the tissue paper open and saw the plaid. By now he was the only one opening a gift. Everyone watched as he pulled the scarf out. 

Fi explained, "It may seem like a strange gift but, that is the Cain tartan. Jessi bought one for your grandpa and I thought this would help you remember your Irish roots."

"Oh Fi, this is great. Wool is usually scratchy but this feels so soft." He wrapped it around his neck. 

Brian looked down at Jessi who was curled up between Justin and himself.  "You bought Grampa one?"

"He'll like it, won't he?"

"He will love it," Justin said as he wrapped an arm around her and she rested against him.

"Since that was the last gift, let's move to the kitchen. Dessert is waiting for us."

Everyone began to move to the door but Gus reached out and stopped Fi from leaving. "Wait a minute." he said softly as Fi's grandfather glanced back as he left the room.

"We'll be right there, Grandpa," Fi said with a smile.

Gus opened the drawer of an end table and lifted out the small box. "When did you put that in there?"

"It was in my pocket when I came down earlier but it was uncomfortable so I hid it there. Let's sit down for a minute." They sat down side by side on the sofa. He handed the box to her.

Fi looked at the box and then at him. He thought for a moment she was going to say something but instead she undid the ribbon he had added and lifted the lid off the box. Nestled on a cushion the same color as her skirt was the gold claddagh with the emerald gleaming in the center. "Oh, Gus, you..."

"Fi, please don't say you can't accept it. You know the meaning of the claddagh better than I do.  You have been, no, you are, my best friend. I don't want to lose that no matter what you decide about us taking it to a different kind of relationship. If you don't think we should date, I'll understand, but I want you to know that I want you to always be my best friend."

Fiona lifted the necklace out carefully. "Will you help me put it on?" Gus took it from her and, with little effort opened the small catch and put it around her neck as she lifted her auburn tresses out of the way. When he closed the catch over the ring, the pendant rested in the small hollow of her neck.  "Gus, it is beautiful and I hope we can always be best friends, too."

"You don't have to say more. I don't want to pressure you."

"Gus, we will always be friends and I think I am ready to see if we could be more than that." She moved closer to Gus and his arms wrapped around her. Their lips brushed against each other gently. 

Jessi poked her head into the living room holding a plate with two different slices of pie. She smiled seeing them kiss, "Hey, are you ready for some dessert?" The young couple moved apart just a little bit but kept holding hands.

"Are you ready?" Gus stood and offered his hand and Fi took it.

"Gus, next to you I'm ready for anything." Fi smiled and took his hand. "Jess, you didn't eat all the sticky toffee pudding did you?"

Together the three walked out hand in hand being led by the laughter coming from the kitchen.



Epilogue

Six years later

"Are you ready, Fiona?" Jessi asked as she strode into her dads' bedroom. Kate was adjusting her veil over her face and then down her back. "Wow, Fi. Gus is going to..." she looked at Kate and didn't finish her sentence. "Kate, the caterer had a question for you and it's about time for everything to start moving."

"Fiona," Kate said, nearly starting to cry, "Is there anything I need to help you with?

"No, Mom. I just want to get this wedding over so I can have fun at the party."

"I love you, my beautiful daughter. I will send Quinn down in a few minutes."

"I love you, Mom," Fi hugged her mother.

"Jessi, please stay with her until Quinn gets here."

"I will." Jessi said and as soon as Kate was out of the room, she said, "Gus is going to cum just looking at you."

Fi laughed, "I'm glad we decided to have the wedding here on the ranch. Ireland will always be my home, but after going to college here and spending most of my breaks on this mountain, I knew this is where we needed to get married."

"This is the perfect time of year to get married here. It worked well with Aaron and Teddy's travels this summer and then all three of us are going to college."

"Are you sorry you chose the same college as Aaron?"

"Naaa, I know how big the campus is and it will be nice to have Aaron close if I need him. Don't tell him I said this but I love him."

Fi smiled, "Hate to tell you this but everyone knows that. I really don't know anyone who doesn't love Aaron."

"He is the best." There was a knock on the door and Jess hugged her sister-to-be. "That's your dad. I'll see you in a little while. Come in, Quinn," she called over her shoulder. As she turned she caught her image in the full length mirror. "By the way, this dress is slammin'."

"I knew it was perfect for you. The ocean blue color on your skin is perfect. Thanks for being my maid of honor." The women hugged once more before Jessi headed to the door. She patted Quinn's cheek as she walked past and then she left them, shutting the door behind her.

 

Brian and Justin knocked on Gus' door and walked in. Aaron was straightening Gus' tie while Teddy was using a lint brush on the tux. "He looks so much like you did when we met. If he wasn't my son..." Justin squeezed Brian's hand.

Gus stood straight, emphasizing his 6'4" frame. He had been wearing his hair longer which showed off his natural curl. "Dads, have you seen Fiona? Is she ok? How does she look?"

Aaron and Teddy stepped away so his dads could move to Gus' side. "I haven't seen her but Jess was heading her way when we came up." Brian started finger combing Gus' hair, getting the curls in place.

"Of course she is stunning, Gus," Justin said.

Aaron spoke up, "We are going downstairs. We'll let you know when it's go time."

As the two young men left the room Gus started pacing. "Are you nervous?" Brian asked.

"No, not really. In a couple hours I will be married to my best friend. I think I told you I was going to marry her when I was six. Of course we've had some disagreements but we know what is the most important to each other and we know how to give and take. I think we are a lot like our parents. We have seen our parents fight but the four of you know how to make up."

"You make us very proud. Have you noticed the sun is getting low?" Justin turned Gus toward the window. 

Brian pulled out his silenced phone. "Aaron said it's time for us to move downstairs to the kitchen. That way we can't run into Fiona."

"I'm ready! Is Grandpa down there?" Gus said as he headed to the door.

"Yes, Dad is waiting in the family room off the kitchen."

 

Quinn had to blink away tears as he looked at his step daughter. "Fi, you are as lovely as your mother. I am so..." he swiped at his eyes.

"Oh, Da, don't do that. I hope they are happy tears."

"Fiona, I hope you know that you are my daughter. I will always think of you as blood of my blood. When I married your mother, I knew you were part of the deal and I would not have it any other way."

Fi wrapped her arms around his neck. "You have always been there for me. I knew you would always support me." 

Quinn took a step back, "You look so beautiful. That dress..." He looked at the miles of lace and pearls that covered the silk sheath. "How are you going to dance all night with all this long train?"

Fiona smiled, "The train, actually all of this lace, comes off and then I just have this little white dress that I can dance all night in. I expect you to be my first dance."

"Of course, Love."

There was a tap on the door and Jessi stepped in, "Time to start the party!"

 

Gus moved out of the side door with his grandfather at his side. A four piece string quartet began to play as they walked down the path created between two sets of chairs. Gus bent and kissed his mom who was sitting in the front row with Grant before he and Kevin turned with their backs to the setting sun and faced the guests. Many friends and family had come to join in the celebration. Nearly everyone from Hawkin's Island was there as well as Fi's grandparents from Ireland. Next came Kate, walking between Brian and Justin. Aaron came next, gently touching Teddy's shoulder as he walked past him. When he got to the front he hugged Gus before taking his place next to him.

Jessi walked down the path next. She had put on a short sleeve jacket over the dress. It had a small train behind her. She had loved this dress since the minute she saw it. Once the party began she would ditch the top layer and dance the night away in the barn where the reception was to be held. When she made it to the front she gave her oldest brother a squeeze and then stood on the opposite side. 

The music stopped for a moment and when the music began again, everyone stood and turned to wait for the bride.

Quinn turned to his step daughter and said, "It's time, Love.  Have I told you how much you look like your mother and how much your mother and I love you?" A tear slipped down Quinn's cheek and Fi held him tightly for just a moment.

"I'm ready, Dad. Thank you for being my dad." This time he pulled her close and kissed her cheek.

"I wouldn't let you go for any other man than Gus. Now, let's go." Quinn placed her hand in the crook of his arm and then moved into view of the guests. Fiona had also put a jacket over her dress and as she walked in the train slid along the walk. 

Gus stood speechless. As she neared him he saw she had the necklace he had given her that six years before. When he had asked her to marry him he offered her a heart shaped diamond with emeralds surrounding it. The wedding band had alternating emeralds and diamonds to complete the set.

"Who brings this woman to join this man? Kevin asked.

Quinn stepped back and rested his hand on Kate's back, "I do as her mother, and I know she will be loved and cherished." Kate stepped forward and kissed Fi and Gus before letting Quinn guide her back to their seats.

Kevin said some loving words and then had Gus and Fiona recite their vows. With perfect timing Kevin said, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Please seal this ceremony with a kiss."

As Gus pulled Fiona into his arms and as their lips met the sun hit the horizon and the couple was surrounded by a halo of light encompassing them. As they slowly separated, the sun faded beneath the mountains, the guests stood and a cheer went up.

 

The reception went on until late into the night, but after a wonderful meal and a couple hours of dancing, Gus lifted his wife onto a wagon and climbed up next to her. He gently tapped the horses with the reins and they began to move. They talked about the beautiful day and how wonderful it was to have all their friends and family there. They drew near the end of the lane and Fi said, "Where are we going?"

"Shhh," Gus put the brake on the wagon and out of nowhere a ranch hand appeared and took the reins from him. Gus jumped down and lifted Fi off the surrey and kissed her lightly. Taking her hand he led her down the small path. 

"Gus, what..." She stopped talking as the path was lit by moonlight and when Gus stopped her gaze followed where he was pointing. "Oh, you told me about this," she said in a whisper. As they looked out, Spirit Pass was immediately below them and as far as the eye could see there were bison. It looked as if each animal below glowed from the moon reflecting off the backs of the large animals.

"I love Spirit Pass almost as much as I love you."

"Oh, Gus, you know I love it here, too. I really hope we can stay near here." Gus pointed across the valley where she noticed light coming from somewhere in the distance. "Gus, isn't that about the same place that old cabin is?"

"It is, but it isn't an old cabin anymore. I left some of the original walls, but it has mostly been rebuilt. Fi, I have a car waiting nearby that will take us to our new home. Even if it is only a vacation spot for us, a place for us to escape the craziness of the world.

"Gus, do you think we could call our place Spirit's Rest? I can always find rest for my spirit up here."

"Spirit's Rest. That is perfect. I love you Mrs. Kinney." Gus pulled tightly against him and kissed her deeply.

"Mr. Kinney, why don't you take me to this place called Spirit's Rest. I have a feeling it has a large comfortable place to do just that, rest!"

"Rest?" Gus raised his eyebrows as he hand slipped below her waist, cupping her butt and pressing her against his pelvis. His mouth dropped a trail of kisses from her mouth to her jaw, and then down her neck.

"Well, we'll rest later. Much, much later."



 

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.