- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

 

Jan. 2005, Justin POV.

Getting the hell out of LA.



Justin arrived at LAX a little short on time. Luckily he only had his duffle bag and his carrier pouch and knew from experience the duffle could fit in the overhead compartment. He found his departure gate on the electronic panel, and headed directly there at a jog. By the time he had gotten through security and found his way through the warren of LAX, the passengers of his flight to Pittsburg were already lining up for boarding. Thankfully, he already had a boarding pass, but he needed a seat assignment. Making his way through the crowd, he reached the counter. He gratefully dropped his duffle.


“May I help you?” The airline employee behind the counter was a pretty blonde, with her hair in a French twist. Her eyes matched the blue-grey of her uniform exactly. Her nametag said Beth Miller. She looked up from her keyboard, and her smile went from professional to genuine in answer to Justin’s.


“I don’t have a seat assignment.” He passed his ticket and blank boarding pass to her.


She worked on the computer for a moment and looked up at him hopefully. “Mr. Taylor, our flight is overbooked. Would you be willing to reschedule to tomorrow? We would pay for a hotel room and give you a voucher for the free domestic flight of your choice…”


A very handsome man, in his early fifties, who had made his way to the counter now stood next to Justin and was watching him with an appreciative gaze.


The airline’s offer would have been very tempting except for two things: Justin had to be in New York the next day to start school and couldn’t miss his connecting flight in Pittsburgh, and he could not wait to get out of LA.


He had come here only six months ago, with Ethan, who was to record his first commercial CD. He did not want to think about how happy and optimistic he had been then. They had been “in love”, their future bright.


Justin had transferred from PIFA to the Los Angeles School of Design to follow his lover. He would lose almost a whole semester of credit, but his life was with Ethan, and being at his side while he took the first step to his professional career, even though Justin had to stay in the shadows, being there for Ethan, was all that mattered.


He had been such a fool, and Ethan such a consummate liar. Several times, Justin had been suspicious that Ethan was not faithful to the promises they had made to each other, but somehow, Ethan always assuaged his fears, and even made him feel guilty for doubting him.


Until the fateful afternoon four weeks ago when he had been released from class early and had thought to surprise Ethan by meeting him at the recording studio, only to find him bent over the piano bench, with his accompanying pianist’s dick up his ass. So much for keeping his sexual orientation a secret. Neither of them had even noticed him.


Justin had bought his ticket back to Pittsburg that afternoon. He had gone to their small rented condo, packed his things, and gone to the diner where he’d worked for rent money, fully intending to leave in the morning and go lick his wounds at Daphne’s.


His boss, Sue, whom he really liked, had pleaded with him to give her at least two weeks to find someone else, and hearing of the Ethan debacle had offered Justin the use of her guest bedroom if he would stay. Justin had agreed. On a whim, he had sent his resume and an application to the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, where he had always wanted to go, though the deadline had already passed.


He was astonished when he received a phone call from the Dean of Student Affairs. They loved his resume, they admired his work, especially the paintings he had done while in LA. One of the students who had been accepted had chosen instead to go to Les Beaux Arts in Paris, and the four students on their alternate list had all already decided on other schools.


They would be glad to have Justin, if he could make it for the beginning of the winter quarter in four weeks. Though he would lose yet more credit, Justin decided to go for it. He figured he would be so far in debt with student loans after he graduated, he would spend the first five years of his professional career on bread and water.


Sue was happy to keep him through the holiday season, giving him as many shifts as possible. Now that he did not have Ethan’s feelings to worry about, Justin came to work in clothes that put his assets to their best advantage, and flirted outrageously with the customers, making a fortune in tips. It would give him a little nest egg until he could find a job in New York.


“I’m sorry,” was Justin’s answer to the nice airline employee’s offer, “but I have to be in New York tomorrow. If economy is full, I would be totally willing to sacrifice myself and travel first class though,” he joked.


Beth just looked at him and laughed. “Oh, thank you Mr. Taylor. I don’t think that will be necessary.”


“Can’t blame a guy for trying,” was Justin’s answer.


“Please take a seat, Mr. Taylor. We will announce our offer to the passengers on the plane once everyone has boarded. There are usually no shortages of volunteers when we offer a free voucher. We will get you a seat.”


The handsome older man had smiled at Justin’s cheek as well. He now tried to change his first class aisle seat for the window, but Beth could not accommodate him either. Resigned, he boarded.

Beth had been right. Within minutes, four backpackers, who were travelling together, exited the plane, having taken the offer. The waiting overbooked passengers stood up to board.


Beth came to him, with a huge grin on her face. “Mr. Taylor, this is your lucky day. Boarding is closed, and one of the first class passengers has not shown. I guess you will have to sacrifice yourself after all!”


Justin gave her his best smile. “This is great! Thanks!”


She could not help but smile back. “We’re not supposed to do this, but since you so generously volunteered…” She winked at him, and preceded him on board.


She went to the man who had been requesting a seat change. “Mr. Anakian, it seems we are able to accommodate you request after all. You may switch to the window seat. She helped Justin cram his bag overhead, and went on to start her duties as a flight attendant.


Justin collapsed into the incredibly comfortable seat, and gave his neighbor a friendly nod.


“It looks like we both got our way,” was the man’s comment. He extended his hand to Justin. “Chaz Anakian”.


“Justin Taylor, nice to meet you.”


“So, what compels a young man such as you to turn down a free ticket?” asked Chaz.

 

 

“I am starting school tomorrow at the Pratt Institute.”


Chaz looked impressed. “That’s a prestigious school, Justin. Congratulations. You are cutting it a bit fine, though, aren’t you?”


Justin laughed. “I know. I worked until the last possible minute. I’m going to need the money. I’ll be sleeping on a friend of a friend’s couch when I get there. I have to find a room of my own. This has all happened rather fast.”


Justin found Chaz to be very pleasant to talk to, and quite knowledgeable about art and design. He ended up showing him his portfolio, and taking out his laptop to demonstrate for him his computer graphics program, after Chaz expressed admiration for some of the designs he had done for one of his classes at PIFA.


“This makes it really easy,” he explained. “The program is amazing, you only provide the creativity, and it does all the rest.”


“Only the creativity?” teased Chaz. “Isn’t that the most important part?”


“Well, yes, sure. But with this tool, the sky is the limit. If you can conceptualize it, it can do it. It’s like magic!”


Chaz was amused. Justin’s enthusiasm was a pleasure to see, after dealing daily with so many jaded people.


“What do you do in New York?” asked Justin, wanting to demo the program.


“I own a dance club, among other things.”


“Okay. Say we wanted to design a logo for your club, and maybe some posters, and brochures. With this it would be super easy.” Justin started a new file on the program.


“What’s the name of your club?”


“Essengy.”


Justin looked at him with a frown. “What does it mean? Is it like a mixture of essence and energy?”


“Most people think so,” laughed Chaz, but it is actually a play on the initials S and G, for Sodom and Gomorrah.”


“Oh. A gay club then.”


“Yes.”


“Well, for a gay club, I would want the design to vibrate, you know, to express the glamour, the glitz, and the thumpa-thumpa, as well as showing some sweaty bodies, or at least the suggestion of sweaty, sexy dancing men.” He started working quickly, from stock images, and the special effects in his program. Soon, Chaz was leaning toward the screen, making suggestions, pointing at the design, discussing colors and font with him.


Justin was in his element. Creating was what he thrived on, and he found Chaz’s cooperation stimulating. He could not believe it when the descent to Pittsburg was announced. They had been so absorbed in their task, they had completely lost track of time. He saved their work, and closed his computer. He had not realized that the landing in Pittsburgh was only a stopover. The same plane went on to Kennedy. The continuing passengers did not need to get off unless they wanted to stretch their legs.


Justin and Chaz were still talking animatedly as they got off, intent on taking a break from sitting for so long. Justin’s eyes were sparkling with excitement, and he couldn’t stop smiling. This was the most fun he had had in months. They both ordered Perrier water at the bar on the concourse, and chatted about the finishing touches on their project while waiting to re-board.


At first call, they made their way back, and Justin stretched languorously as they waited in line, his short t-shirt riding up and showing his belly. He did not even notice the admiring glance of one of the other first class passengers, who was boarding in Pittsburgh. He was tall, dark and handsome, wearing a most exquisite suit.


Brian Kinney stared like a hungry wolf at the patch of skin exposed by the blond boy’s stretch, and as he took his place in line, could not take his eyes off the finest ass he had ever laid eyes on (and he had seen rather more than most). Brian was heading back to New York, where he was a partner in a prestigious advertising firm, Plexus, after a visit home to see his friends and son. His hand was almost itching with the desire to run through the silky blond hair of the young man in front of him, and he took a deep breath capturing the arousing scent of sun and youth. Checking out the older man who was in animated conversation with the object of his lust, he concluded they were father and son, perhaps on a college tour. He could tell they were enjoying each other’s company. They seemed to have an easy rapport, tinged with mutual respect. He could only hope he and Gus would be that close when Gus was that age. 17? 18? Too young . Definitely much too young, but oh, so tempting…


Back on the last leg of their trip, Chaz and Justin wasted no time before reopening the file and putting the final touches to their cooperative design.


When they were done, they both sat back and laughed. Justin knew it was unbelievably good. Probably the best thing he had ever produced for this kind of work. It was really a shame it was only a mock up.


“You know, Justin, I have been meaning to revamp the club’s image, as we just finished some major renovations. I would love to buy and use this design.”


Justin was completely taken by surprise. The thought that this work could actually be used was incredibly exciting.


“I couldn't sell it to you. It was totally a cooperative effort! I’ll burn you a CD, and you can absolutely use it!”


“Cooperative effort? You do not give yourself enough credit, Justin. My input was less than 10% at most. Sign the design. I will make sure to credit you. And accept some payment, for heaven’s sake. Your talent is worth a lot!”


Justin added “Justin Taylor design” in minute letters that did not detract at all from either the logo or the other images, placed a CD in, and burned it. He slipped it in an envelope, and handed it to Chaz.


“I don’t want any payment. Really. This was fun. I haven’t enjoyed myself this much in a long time.”


Chaz took the CD. “Fine, Justin. Have it your way.“ He took out his iphone, and connected to the Internet. A couple minutes later, he disconnected and smiled. He took out a business card from his wallet.


“This is my club.” Chaz stared at the current logo on the card and shook his head. “My god, I always thought this design was not perfect, but now… I just cannot believe we kept it for so long.” He handed the card to Justin.


“I just illegally used the internet on this flight, at the risk of all of us crashing to our death, to add you to the permanent VIP guest list. You can come to the club anytime. No charge, no wait. You can even bring a guest.” He smiled. “Use it well, and use it often.”


Justin looked at the card. “Wow. Thanks. This is awesome. And that,” he pointed to the logo, “is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.”


They both laughed.


Brian was surprised, while getting in his hired limo in front of the airport, to see the two other first class passengers from his flight say goodbye on the sidewalk, the older man getting in a limo like his, and the younger one walking away in the direction of the subway entrance, a duffle bag on his back. Not father and son, then. He did not spend too much time thinking about it. He was tired, looking forward to getting back to his loft and getting ready for a night on the town.