- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

A nerve wracking day



Brian dropped the small spring bouquet on Cynthia’s desk on the way to his office, without a word. As he could have predicted, she was in his office three minutes later, her arms crossed over her chest, and a look that said, “I will not take no for an answer.”


“Cynthia?” asked Bran innocently.


“Brian. Are you going to tell me what’s going on tonight?”


“I thought we had that covered. You are going to make yourself beautiful, and show up at the address I gave you at 6:45 pm exactly, and you are keeping this absolutely confidential.”


“Brian…” There was a definite threat to her tone.


“Believe me. That’s all you need to know…”


“I talked to Julie earlier, at Starbucks. She said she received an invitation Wednesday, to a mandatory work related soiree, formal, requesting her arrival tonight at 7:15 exactly at an address around the corner from the one you gave me, with the addendum that all discussion of the invitation on work premises would lead to immediate dismissal. She had to cancel a date. She said luckily she was not going out of town this weekend, because she was invited to Justin’s opening tomorrow but she was a little annoyed. When I talked to Sam on the elevator earlier, he got off on his floor and said, 'See you tonight, Cynthia.' Care to elaborate on this?”


Brian shrugged with a smile. “No!”


“Damnit, Brian!” She leaned with both hands on his desk. “Have I ever failed in keeping any of your secrets, professional or otherwise? You trust me with the access to your personal bank accounts and all your credit cards, the codes to your home, a copy of your will and testament and…”


He chuckled. Flustering Cynthia was not easy to do. He decided he had tortured her enough. They did not see each other outside of work, but they did spend at least ten hours a day together, and he did trust her with his life. He had not thought of her as an employee for years. To him, she was a full partner in his professional life. He would not have taken the job in New York had Cynthia not come along.


At his chuckle, Cynthia realized he had just wanted to rile her and she had, sadly, completely fallen for it. She sat down, knowing he was finally going to fess up.


“Tonight at 6:50 I’m going to ask Justin to marry me. If he says yes, we will be married at 7:40, with all his friends and family there. I would like two of the most important people in my life to stand by me at the altar. My best man Michael… and you.”


She looked at him for a moment, saying nothing. However much affection she felt for him, she knew never to show or mention it. This show of affection on his part obviously touched her deeply, but she was not going to gush. She knew Brian too well. “You want me to be your…” she struggled for the right word, “groom’s maid?”


Brian grinned. “No. I want you to be my best woman.”


She grinned back, looking genuinely pleased and happy for him. “Cool.” He was incredibly appreciative that she was not reminding him of what he had said so many times about gay marriages, or about the fact that Justin and he had only been together for an incredibly short time. Instead, she giggled and said, “The folks from the art department are going to shit themselves…”


She got up, the intimate moment past, back to her business persona. He appreciated her more at that moment than he could say. “Sylvestro in 45 minutes” she reminded him on her way out. Then she turned back at the door. “You did invite Dwayne, right?”


“Of course.”


“And Sarah?”


“Fuck.”


Cynthia sighed. “Go down now. I’ll hold the fort.”


Brian got up. Sarah was… not overly smart, but, Brian supposed, well intentioned, and he knew Justin would feel badly if she had been left out. He took the elevator down to the lobby and went to her desk. She was on the phone.


“I’m sorry, Mr. Rosen’s desk is not answering. Would you like to speak to someone else in the Art Department, leave a message, or have me page him?... All right, I will put you through to Julie McLaughlin. Please hold while I ring her desk… Julie? A Mark Taggard from Graphic Supplies is on the line. Sam is not answering. May I connect you to him?... Thank-you Julie, please hold. Mr. Taggard? Julie will speak to you now. Have a nice day.”


She hung up the phone and looked up with a professional smile. “Sorry to keep you wai… Oh! Mr. Kinney. What can I do for you, sir?”


Brian was impressed by how professional and competent she had been on the telephone, as well as with the way she had addressed him, thinking he was a customer. She obviously knew her job and was not only able but also good at it.


“Hello, Sarah. I am afraid it's awfully short noticed but…” He had just noticed the flowers on her desk. For some reason, he had assumed when Justin had bought them that morning that they were for Betsy, Alan’s assistant, since he knew they were friendly. She had given Justin a very nice pair of running pants for Christmas and not too long ago had brought him some homemade cookies.


“Justin Taylor bought you flowers. Is it your birthday Sarah?”


“Uh. No, sir, Mr. Kinney. He’s just sweet, you know? And I know he just does it to make my day, because he’s… uh… oh.” She turned bright red. “You said short notice, sir?”


“Because he’s what, Sarah?” Brian could just not resist torturing young women today, apparently…


Sarah took a deep breath and finished a little defiantly. “Because he’s gay, sir. So I know he is not one of those boys who are nice to me just because they want to get in my pants. And while we are on the subject, I think it’s a stupid rule.”


What subject? What rule? Brian was completely lost now.


“What rule is that, Sarah?”


“That upper echelon people cannot get involved with employees.”


“I’m sorry, Sarah. You’ve lost me.”


Once again, she blushed crimson. “Me and my big mouth” she mumbled to herself. “I’m sorry, sir, you… intimidate me a lot and I … should just be quiet.”


“Sarah, I was perhaps a little harsh on you the first time we met. You have since proven your competence at your job. You should not feel intimidated about speaking your mind around me. It is something I value and respect in people as long as it is done for a good reason.”


“I am not sure you would consider it a good reason sir. It was done out of friendship.”


“Friendship is usually an excellent reason to do things…”


“Well, then.” She looked as if she was bracing herself for the worse. “I think Justin is sweet and cute and it’s a shame that he should be alone so I told him this morning that… you’re gay too and I think you might fancy him. That’s when he told me about that stupid rule.”


“I see. And what makes you think I might fancy him?”


“The way you look at him, sir, when you forget you are not alone in the lobby, and he can’t see you…”


Brian was nonplussed. Sarah might not be overly bright, but she certainly was observant.


“Sarah, knowing that rule now, what do you think two people would do, whose feelings pushed them to ignore it?”


“Well, they would have to be really discreet, and make sure no one knew how they…” He could almost see a light bulb above her head go on. “Oh, my God! Are you saying that you and Justin…” She hid her face in her hands. “Oh, for heaven’s sakes… He must think I am such an idiot!”


“No. I know he thinks you are very sweet, and that we should be more cautious around you…”


“But, but, why are you telling me, sir?”


“Well, Sarah, I know it’s short notice, but could you come to a surprise party in Justin’s honor this evening at 7:15 at this address?”


Her face lit up and with a smile she asked, “Is this a party that’s going to make it OK for Justin and you to be together?”


“Yes, yes it is. And it’s an absolute secret, Sarah. No one else in the company has any clue what this party is about and they have been told that discussing it at work would get them fired.”


“Wow. Thank you for thinking of me, Mr. Kinney. Is it a fancy party? It’s in the posh area of town…”


“Yes it is. Make yourself beautiful, and make absolutely sure you are exactly on time, OK?”


“Oh, yes sir, Mr. Kinney.”


“And Sarah? I have never given you any reason to be nice to me. The fact that you tried getting Justin and me together despite that shows what a good heart you have. I am glad Justin got you those flowers. I will see you tonight.”


Sarah blushed brightly again. “Thank you, sir. See you tonight, sir.”


Brian walked back to the elevators. He turned back and looked at Sarah for a second. She was smelling her flowers, a bright smile on her face. Brian reflected that it was another thing he had learned from Justin, that it was as easy to be kind as to not.

 

*****



Sylvestro was a restoration supply company. They produced hardwood floors that looked and felt as if they were a couple hundred years old. They were used inside of restored historical monuments, old churches and so on. They were absolutely convincing. Their scope of clientele was much greater in Europe, where so many older homes were restored while keeping the spirit of the original, and Brian had been sure, when he had seen the advertisement designed for the restoration trade magazine by a junior exec whose work he supervised, that there would be a huge market for the product in the general public.


He had worked with Randy and the junior exec in preparing a much broader campaign to go in House Beautiful, Architectural Digest, and other related publications. Now he had to sell it to Sylvestro. The Junior exec would do his little spiel, Randy would show some beautiful boards for possible paper ads in the popular, nontrade magazines, and Brian would take over, convincing them to be aggressive bold innovators with a quadrupled advertising budget. He was very much looking forward to it…


He walked into the conference room, feeling at ease in his Armani suit, and perfectly prepared for his presentation.


Of course, the Sylvestro representatives and vice president who were there were completely convinced and enthused by Brian’s presentation. They signed on eagerly for the expanded campaign. The junior exec went back to his cubicle with two pieces of gossip: One, Brian Kinney truly was an advertising god, and two, he did sport a hard on during the entire presentation.


He also brought back a personal realization. A new awareness of how much he had yet to learn. The next time there was griping among the junior execs about the factor of ten difference between the Senior and Junior exec salaries when ‘They did exactly the same job,’ he'd keep his mouth shut.


Happy with the outcome of his morning’s presentation, Brian went and worked out hard at lunchtime. He knew that as the day wore on he would have more and more reason to stress out and hoped a good sweat now would translate into a more relaxed attitude later. So many aspects of his plan were out of his hands now; so much he had no control over and would just have to trust others to handle right… Something that definitely was not second nature to him.


He went for a quick trim and a manicure at the salon on the ground floor of the building. As he was sitting there, he wondered. Why in the world had he decided on something so elaborate? Because if he pulled it off, and if Justin liked it, it would be a memory they could both return to when things were rough, a tangible proof of his feelings for Justin.


At five, he was mercifully done with appointments for the day. Cynthia came in with the confirmations for his and Justin’s activities the following week. She very much approved of every idea. Brian was glad.


He placed a quick call to Charles Bernard, who assured him that the airport pick-ups had started and that everything was going smoothly. Another call to Brook, Jessica’s butler, reassured him that the guests that had already arrived were much too in awe of their surroundings to be much trouble, and if Mr. Kinney would allow him to say so, young Gus was a gorgeous and very sweet child.


One final call and he had to go.


“Jessie’s Bed and Breakfast”


“Is that how your house feels?”


“Not at all. I haven’t seen anyone yet. I’m in the pink salon, away from all the action. But don’t worry, I’ll be there to deliver my line when the elevator door opens… You, on the other hand, better get here, Lilah called and he should be here in about ten minutes…”


“I’m off. See you soon.”


He made it to Jessica’s at 6:20 and the doorman shook his head “No”, Justin had not arrived yet. He sent his cab around the block, and arrived back to see Justin alight from his taxi. He threw the cabbie a $50.00 bill, told him to keep the change and called out to Justin who was about to go in.


Justin’s smile was worth every anxiety he was about to put himself through. In the elevator, he pulled his Sunshine to him, and kissed him avidly. He could not believe what this evening would mean if it all went well. Justin’s soft lips and his surrender to his kiss was just what he needed right now, to calm down and remember why he was doing it all. He loved him so much, and his body craved him with such intensity.


Twenty-six floors were just about enough for a decent kiss, really. The doors opened, and Jessica laughed at them.


“Caught in the act! I have good news and I have bad news. The bad is that Brandon and Todd are going to be a little late. The good is that the night is clear, and Jason is setting the telescope up on the roof for the kids. Why don’t you two go up there and check out the city?”


Brian and Justin looked at each other. “Sure,” said Brian. “Yeah. I’d love to see the city from the roof,” said Justin.


Brian had thought Justin would enjoy it, and he was glad he’d been right. He could feel his stress level going up, with the usual resulting hard on as they stepped on the roof.


Jason was so relaxed, playing his role perfectly. As they ‘checked’ Justin’s answers, they were actually seeing how far in their preparation Brandon and Todd were, and when Jason gave Justin the answer as to where St. Patrick's was, it was because they were ready. Jason called Todd’s cell phone as soon as he stepped off the roof so they would start waving, and unrolling the banner. It worked like a dream.


Brian was suddenly scared shitless. Acting the picture of cool, he waited for Justin’s answer, and for his clarification that he didn’t mean to get married in five years or so. That would have been OK, they would have celebrated their engagement tonight, but Brian wanted so much more. He was thrilled with Justin’s answer, and his reaction at all the people from Pittsburgh being there.


It was hard to leave the roof without further ado, he wanted Justin so much at that moment… But there would be none of that, not until they were home and could savor making love without condoms…


It was silly, but when Justin left with Jason, Brian felt it like a physical loss. He went to one of the bedrooms, took a quick shower, shaved, and got dressed. He looked great but was so incredibly nervous. How would Justin react? Now he had to go talk to Mikey, and then a few others to tell them why they were really there… The folks from Pittsburgh had been told he was going to ask Justin to marry him before being bussed to the park, but they had no clue the wedding was …now. As for the rest of the guests, Justin’s old roommates, and all their co-workers, they had no idea whatsoever what was going on…


He entered the lobby, where everyone was enjoying champagne and hors d’oeuvres, and found Mikey. Ben had kept his part of the bargain. Mikey had only known about the trip two days before when he and Ben had gone to pick up the tuxes Brian had rented for them at the nicest shop in Pittsburgh. Ben had said there was no use in purchasing one, since neither he nor Mikey would ever wear them again. It fit Michael beautifully and was Armani, not some hideous prom thing. Brian had quite a hard time disengaging from everyone else but managed and took Mikey to the yellow salon to talk to him.


“This place is amazing!” said Michael, very impressed. “You have some seriously rich friends!”


“Actually, Jessica was Justin’s friend first. Wait till you meet her. She is remarkable. Mikey, I have a favor to ask you.”


“What is it?” asked Michael, happy at the idea of doing something for Brian, for a change, instead of Brian helping him.


“Well, we talked about it not too long ago and you seemed willing, I just want to make sure. Will you be my best man?”


“Of course,” said Mikey with a smile. “When the time comes, I’ll be proud to be your best man, Brian.”


“Great. Come with me.” They went to the ballroom, which of course was set up as a chapel.


“Holy shit, Brian! You’re doing it today? Oh, my god!” Michael looked so happy and excited, it was sweet.


“Yes, well. Strike the iron while it’s hot…”


Cynthia and Brandon had just come in, laughing together. Brandon looked truly amazing in his tux, and Cynthia, in a floor length backless gown, her hair up in a loose bun decorated with pearls, was extremely beautiful. They made a striking couple.


“You and Cynthia will stand by me. Daphne and Brandon by Justin. I’ll go get Daphne now, and then get everyone else in. Justin should be down in about half an hour…”


He went back to the lobby and grabbed Daphne walking with her towards the ballroom. She looked lovely in a champagne colored gown with her wild hair tamed in a beautiful upsweep. “Daphne, you will be Justin’s best man, don’t you think?”


“Unless he wants his ass kicked on his wedding day…”


“That’s what I thought.” They entered the ballroom, and Daphne’s mouth fell open. Then she walked to Brandon and started punching him. “You big lug! You knew about this and you didn’t tell me?”


Brandon was laughing. “Daphne, stop, you are tickling me with your little fists… I was sworn to secrecy by Brian and his fists are a lot bigger than yours…”


She stopped trying to hit him and laughed. “Oh, my God. I can’t wait to see Justin’s face!”


Leaving the wedding party happily chatting, Brian went to talk to Molly next. She was gorgeous, in a short beaded dress. She looked sufficiently like Justin that Brian felt an immediate affection for her though he did not know her at all.


“Hello, Molly, I’m Brian.”


“Hey. I recognize you from my brother’s drawings. You are just as good looking in person.”


“Thank you”


“Don’t thank me, thank your parents and the god of genetics. You want something?”


“I am marrying your brother in twenty minutes. I thought you and your mom should walk him down the aisle. What do you think?”


“Holy fucking shit. Good thing he is so much younger than you,” she said with a wicked grin, “at least he won’t have a heart attack. Are you afraid he’ll change his mind, or what?”


“No. I am passionately in love with him and I can’t wait.”


“Oooh. Good answer, that. So yeah. I think Mom and I should be the ones to give him away. But what I said about you hurting him still holds.”


“I know.”


“Hey, and I thought you said there’d be some people my age at this party. I’m all spruced up for nothing here.”


“You haven’t met Hunter yet?”


“How old is he?”


“18? Something like that?”


“No. I haven’t had the honor yet. Before you run off to stick your dick up my brother’s ass, make sure to introduce me, OK?”


“Will do. Can you tell your mom what’s going on while the maid takes you to Justin? Please don’t tell him though. I really want to surprise him.”


She looked at him in a calculating way. “I could charge you for my silence, you know…”


He gave her his best ‘I eat little girls like you for breakfast’ smile. “I could have Todd and Debbie walk him down the aisle, you know…”


She gave him a true smile, apparently glad he wasn’t a sucker. “Point. See you in the chapel of love.”


“See you.” She went to grab her mom and followed the smiling maid. Good god. It was like dealing with Justin’s evil twin…


He looked for Debbie and Lindsay. By a stroke of luck, they were chatting together with Mel and Carl. He got close, and got almost bowled over by Gus. Finally. He had wondered where his little man had been hiding.


“Daddy! Daddy! You and Jutsin are engaged! He’s almost my daddy too!”


Gus was wearing the same tuxedo Brian was, with the black shirt and the white silk scarf. Brian had had it specially made. He looked really beautiful, more handsome, Brian thought, than he had been at that age. Brian was crouching in front of him, to look him in the eye. Gus’s eyes were the exact same color as his own. For some reason, it made Brian’s insides feel tight.


“Gus, do you remember when you were the ring bearer for Uncle Drew and Uncle Emmett?”


“Sure. It was a big reson-psa-bility. And I did really good.”


“Yes, Gus. You did really well. I was very impressed. Do you think you can do the same for Justin and I?”


“When you two get married?”


Brian winked at Gus, and whispered, “Yes, Gus, when we two get married, in about fifteen minutes…”


Gus whispered back, loving the secrecy. “You’re doing it today? But mommy and mama don’t even know that!”


“It’s a big surprise. They’ll find out in a minute. So you want to do it?”


“Oh, yeah! It'll be fun!”


“OK, then. Here are the rings.”


“I put them in my pocket, Daddy, and when the man says, 'The rings, please,' I bring them over, right?”


“Right.”


Gus smiled a huge smile. “And then, my Jutsin is my daddy.”


Brian had to smile too. “Right.”


“That’s really good, Daddy. Good job.”


“Thank you, Gus.” Brian hugged him tight, and kissed his warm neck. He got up, and walked to the three women still in an intense discussion, Carl following the conversation, trying not to smile. They quieted as he greeted them.


“Ladies, you look beautiful tonight.” He kissed Lindsay on the cheek, then Debbie, and to her astonishment, Mel. “Mel, would you mind keeping an eye on Gus for a few minutes?”


At that moment, Brook entered and called everyone’s attention. “Ladies and Gentlemen, if you would follow me, please?”


Brian held Debbie and Lindsay back. “I need you both for a minute.” Carl offered Mel his arm. “My dear lady, shall we go in?”


“Hey! Where are you going?” asked Debbie.


“I am neither the sister nor the mother of the groom. I’m just a friend,” answered Carl.


“What the hell are you talking about?” asked Debbie.


“You’ll find out soon enough. See you soon.”


Lindsay raised an eyebrow to Brian. He took a deep breath. “Justin and I are getting married in… ten minutes. His mother and sister are walking him down the aisle. And I want the mother and sister of my heart to walk me down the aisle as well. That would be the two of you. What do you think?”


“Oh, Brian, I’m so happy for you,” said Lindsay, hugging him tight. “I’m honored to be the sister of your heart! And I love my dress, thank you…”


“I knew when you told me you let that kid top you that it was true love,” said Debbie laughing, “but I didn’t know you were such a fucking romantic. Shit, I don’t want to cry, my mascara will run, and I don’t want to kiss you and put lipstick on you. Just make sure you save me a dance so I can do both later. If you boys keep getting married, I’m going to have a whole new wardrobe…”


They were both wearing the clothes that had been waiting in their room. Made of the same beautiful grey silk and silk gauze, Lindsay’s dress was fitted to the waist and three quarter length with a beaded bodice and a sheer shawl. Debbie was wearing a loose pantsuit with a beaded top and a knee length sheer coat. Both had actually been chosen by Jessica, and she had done a terrific job.


They walked to the double door of the ballroom, and waited. A few minutes later, Brook came out and said, “We are all set, sir,” and he opened the doors. There was quite a din in the ballroom as people were discussing what was going on with each other, especially the people who had not been witness to the ‘engagement’. Jason smiled at Brian, turned to the piano, and started playing “Ode to Joy”.


Brian walked to the front, Lindsay and Debbie holding his arms, unable to pay enough attention to see more than a few flashes of people. There was Marcus and his wife; Sam, grinning like a loon, and Katie; and looking fresh and lovely, little Sarah in a pretty pale green gown sitting next to one of Justin’s roommates, Rory, perhaps. Lindsay and Debbie each kissed his cheek before letting him climb the podium next to Michael. Now that the time had come, that he had nothing left to do, Brian started letting his nervousness get the better of him. What had he been thinking? What if Justin had wanted to do things differently? What if Brian had forgotten to invite someone important to him? What if he hated surprises? What if he hated this surprise? What if he turned away and left?


When the doors opened, he was as nervous as he had ever been. Justin was looking around, seeming happy but a little puzzled. He looked towards Brian, and Jason started to play. Brian could tell exactly when Justin realized what was going on. His gorgeous face was suddenly illuminated by the most beautiful smile Brian had ever seen, and he looked at Brian with so much joy and love, Brian suddenly felt ten feet tall.


He smiled back at his love, all cares suddenly removed, feeling very, very happy, and watched him coming towards him. He looked so… beautiful, so perfect, so incredibly handsome. When Justin reached him, and after his mother and sister had said they were the ones to give him away, he took Justin’s hands in his, and that small touch was marvelous. He could not look away from Justin’s blue eyes. The minister was talking, and Brian made an effort to concentrate on his words, waiting for the important moment, the moment when he could speak his commitment.


“Brian Kinney, do you take Justin Taylor as your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, forsaking all others, until death do you part?”


Finally! “I do.”


“Justin Taylor, do you take Brian Kinney as your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, forsaking all others, until death do you part?”


“I do.”


He was smiling at Brian and had sounded so sure. God, Brian loved him. He felt so lucky. Did all people feel this happy, and lucky, and sure of the rightness of their decision while speaking those words? He hoped so. At this moment, with a most uncharacteristic sentiment for Brian Kinney, he wanted the entire world to be as happy as he felt.


Soon, Gus was there with the rings. Brian wanted him to stay, and was thrilled when Justin held him back as well.


As he put the ring on Justin’s finger, Brian felt a thrill like never before. Justin was his, forever. As Justin put on his ring, Brian felt an intense sense of belonging. His best friend, his amazing lover, this remarkable young artist was now his husband. He was no longer alone in the world, with only a family of choice. He had a real family.


He held Justin’s left hand with his left, and crouched to put himself level with the other member of his true family. It was magical that Justin did the exact same thing. They both held Gus’s hand on theirs, Gus leaned over and kissed their bonded hands, and his smile to each of them was so sweet. The minister introduced their family, Brian, Justin and Gus Kinney, and Brian thought his heart was going to burst.


“You may kiss your husband.” Brian was extremely happy to comply. It was the kiss that had brought them together, the kiss that was the representation of their love. As Brian held the back of his neck, a hand on his lower back, Justin’s body was melting against his, and Brian would happily have kissed him all night. He felt Justin smile against his lips, and knew it was time to desist. Justin’s eyes were dancing, promising “later, later” and Brian smiled back with the same promise in his eyes.


They walked down the aisle, and people were clapping and cheering, and smiling. Todd looked incredibly good, standing next to a radiant Jessica, Emmett and Drew were smiling, their arms around one another. He was very glad of the few minutes he was going to spend alone with Justin according to the Jewish tradition, even though neither of them was Jewish. Jason had encouraged him to do so, and right now he was so grateful. He was not ready to share Justin with anyone yet.


As soon as Jason closed the door of the yellow salon behind them, he held Justin against him, tightly. He needed that closeness so much, to feel the small beloved body tight against his own. They eventually moved to a couch, their bodies still touching, like they always did in the back seats of limos and taxis. They talked about the rings. He had agonized over the choice and was thrilled that Justin liked them, as well as the inscriptions.


They both suddenly felt overwhelmed at the same moment by what those ring represented, and by a need to affirm their commitment in more than words. The soft touch of their lips would have to do until later. Through it they could feel the flow of their love for each other, and the joy their bodies took in one another. It was both sweet and dizzying at once.


“My guess is,” said Justin chuckling, “pretending to fall asleep is not going to help us tonight…”


Brian chuckled too. “I think you’re right…” though he knew he would be counting the minutes until they could abscond.


Brian did feel some excitement when Brandon and Todd came to get them, because he knew for a fact that Justin would love the next event. He guided Justin to the dance floor, and smiled at his surprise. He had worked hard to learn the steps to dance with ease to “Save the last dance for me” and was able to relax. Justin was, as in everything else, the perfect partner, their motions easy and coordinated, their harmony natural. He followed Brian without hesitation, fully trusting him, smiling with pleasure, making him look much better than he actually was.


Brian loved spinning him, dipping him, and lifting him to twirl him, but then his parted lips were so close, he could not help but take them in a kiss, and had the hardest time letting them go. He was sure Justin could feel his erection, just like he could feel Justin’s, and that people would notice them, but he didn’t care. He was in love with Justin, and his body was in love with Justin’s.


When the music ended, they took another moment of closeness, foreheads resting against one another, isolating them from the rest. Soon they would go home and celebrate alone. Now it was time to celebrate with those they loved. The lights brightened as they faced their family and friends, holding hands with their fingers entwined.