- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Michael worries about seeing Brian, and keeps replaying over and over again in his head the last time he saw him. It’s now been twelve years, and Brian and Justin are coming to Pittsburgh for Molly’s wedding.



Title: The Big Sleep…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 7384
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Angst, Love, Passion, Anti-Michael…
Beta Queen: Bigj52

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: After a series of accidents Brian finds himself hospitalized, with memory problems…

Chapter Summary: Michael worries about seeing Brian, and keeps replaying over and over again in his head the last time he saw him. It’s now been twelve years, and Brian and Justin are coming to Pittsburgh for Molly’s wedding.

Epilogue ~ Life Goes On…

A couple of days after Brian is released from the hospital…

Michael’s pounding on the loft door, demanding to be let in; finally Justin pulls the door back.

“What is it, Michael?”

“I want to see Brian!”

“He’s not here right now.”

“Where is he? Why hasn’t he returned any of my phone calls?”

“I don’t know, Michael, maybe he doesn’t want to talk to you?”

“Or maybe he never got my messages? Maybe you’ve convinced him not to talk to me? Maybe you spread a bunch of lies about me?”

“Really, Michael? I don’t need to convince Brian you’re not his friend, you’ve done a good job of that all by yourself.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”

“Like I said, I don’t answer for Brian. He’s a big boy and he can choose who he wants to be friends with all by himself.”

“I know you’ve prevented me from seeing him while he was recovering in the hospital. You think you’re so high and mighty now you’ve got Brian’s Power of Attorney? Well you can’t come between us, I’m his best friend. Always have been, always will be! You’ll see!”

“Whatever, Michael!”

“I’m busy. I need to get back to…”

Just then the loft door is pulled open and Ted, Emmett and Brian come in, loaded down with boxes. Michael blinks, wondering what’s going on. It’s then that he focuses in on all the boxes stacked up against the back wall, on the kitchen counter, and still more in the bedroom and near the door.

“What’s going on?”

On closer inspection he recognizes some of Emmett’s things from when they lived together. He looks in some of the other boxes, and sees Emmett’s dishes, pots and pans that he uses for his party planning business. But the ones against the back wall and near the door, seem to have Brian’s things packed in them.

“Brian? What’s happening? Is Emmett moving into the loft?”

“Yes. How very observant of you, Mikey.”

“Are you moving?”

“Right again.”

Michael feels like he can’t breathe, nothing is making any sense. He’s not sure if he wants to cry or scream.

“Brian, maybe you and Michael should have a talk in private.”

“Yes, why don’t you leave, Justin? Brian and I need to talk alone.”

“Michael! Don’t ever talk to Justin like that again! Let’s go to Woody’s and have a drink, we can talk there.”

Michael looks over his shoulder at Justin, Ted and Emmett, wondering just what is going on. Ten minutes later he and Brian are walking into Woody’s. Michael goes to sit at the bar, but Brian gestures for them to have a seat in the back booth for more privacy.

“This is nice, just like old times. Remember, Brian?”

“Michael…”

“I know you’re sorry you haven’t called me. You’ve been busy. I understand, but now we have time to catch up on everything.”

Brian takes a deep breath, wondering how to start this conversation.

“So why haven’t you returned any of my phone calls? Let me guess. That little stalker never told you I called? Why is he even living with you again? You don’t need him, you’re all better now. So you can finally tell him to take a hike, and now that Ben and I are no longer together we can finally give us a shot.”

“MICHAEL!”

“What? Why are you shouting? What’s the problem?”

“Stop! Slow down, and stop assuming how things are between us.”

“What do you mean, assuming?”

“Michael, Justin gave me all the messages. Christ, you must have called me ten times a day.”

“So why didn’t you call me back then?”

“I didn’t have anything to say to you, and I didn’t want to see you.”

“But why?”

“Because each time after I got out of the hospital I needed you. I really needed my best friend.”

“I know, and I was there for you. I am your best friend.”

“You may have been there, but you weren’t acting like a best friend should.”

“Sure I was.”

“No. Not really. A best friend would have been supportive, and answered my questions. He would have told me the truth.”

“Dr. Phelps said we weren’t supposed to tell you about your past. I was just following your doctor’s orders.”

“You had no problem telling me about Justin cheating, and leaving me for Ethan.”

“Well, you needed to know that. You needed to understand he’s no good for you.”

“Justin is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Can’t you see that I love him?”

“That’s priceless! Brian Kinney doesn’t do love!”

“No, you’re wrong. I do. I’ve loved him for a long time. I was just too frightened to admit it, and then I lost him.”

“Brian Kinney isn’t afraid of anything!”

“Michael! You’ve built up this image in your mind of who you think I am, but that’s not me.”

“Sure it is! You’re Brian Fucking Kinney!”

“You know I may have allowed myself to build up that façade, but it wasn’t real. I was never that person. Justin saw that, he saw right through all my mantras. He saw me for who I really was, flaws and all. And you know what? He loved me just the way I was, not for who he thought I should be.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I know… That’s the problem. You never understood me, or who I really was. You’ve always seen me as some kind of superhero, but I’m not a hero, Michael. I’m just a man.”

Michael’s confused; he doesn’t understand why Brian feels like he has to change. He doesn’t understand that Brian never was who he thought he was. And most of all he doesn’t understand why he wants Justin and not him. After all he’s finally ready to love someone and it’s supposed to be him.

“Michael, what I wanted to tell you is that I’m moving. Justin and I are moving away from Pittsburgh.”

Now Michael really can’t breathe. He feels light-headed, his throat has a lump in it, and tears are starting to roll down his face.





“What about me? Brian, I’m your best friend.”

“You’re going to be alright. You’re going to move on and live your life. Like you should have done right from the beginning.”

“No. No, you are my life.”

“No, I’m not, Michael. I never was. I’m sorry I didn’t make that clear from the beginning. We both know that it never would have worked. We’re all wrong for each other.”

“No! I love you, and I know you love me. Always have, always will. Remember?”

“No, Michael, not like that… I’m not in love with you, never was, never will be.”

“This is total bullshit!”

“Calm down. Now you have to let go of this foolish childhood fantasy.”

“It’s not foolish, and it’s not a fantasy.”

“Michael. It’s not going to happen. It’s time to face reality. It’s time to grow up and be the man you’re meant to be.”

“I can’t! If you leave, I’ll have nothing!”

“Stop being a drama queen!”

“Brian! Don’t go! I won’t make it without you!”

“Michael!”

“I’ll kill myself! I will. I’ll kill myself if you leave me.”

“I’m not leaving you! I’m just leaving!”

“It’s because of him, isn’t it? He’s making you choose between us, isn’t he?”

“Michael! Pull it together! Justin isn’t asking me to choose between the two of you. Besides there’s no choice, I’m with Justin. Period.”

Michael softly whispers. “Brian…”

“Listen. You’re going to be okay. Call Ben, I bet he’ll try and work things out.”

“I don’t want Ben. I never wanted Ben the way I want you.”

“Stop! Just stop! It’s not going to happen!”

“But I always thought we’d be together in the end.”

“We need to move this conversation along or end it.”

“No! No, don’t go yet.”

“Okay, fine.”

“So where are you going? When will I see you again?”

“Justin’s applied to art schools in Manhattan, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, starting the winter term. We’ll be traveling for a month or so, and then when he gets accepted we’ll move there and start looking for a house.”

“But you’ll be back for Christmas?”

“I don’t know. Probably not.”

“Justin won’t be coming home to spend Christmas with Molly and Jennifer?”

“I’m pretty sure they’ll be visiting us for the holidays. That way they can help us organize the new house and picking out new furniture. We’ll have a lot to do before school starts in January, and it’s already early November.”

“But… You’ll have to come back and get your stuff at some point.”

“Actually Ted and Emmett are going to ship our things, once were settled. The rest is being donated, or sold. Emmett is buying the loft along with the furniture.”

“Emmett’s buying the loft?”

“He’s really clever, and a great cook. I’ve looked at his business proposal and I’ve decided to help him with his startup funds. To help get him on his feet, just like I did for you.”

“So you’re just giving the loft to Emmett?”

“No. I just told you he’s buying it from me, on a rent-to-own basis.”

“What if I want the loft?”

“You can’t afford the loft.”

“And Emmett can?”

“I told you he’s very talented, and he has a solid business plan. I think he’s going to do really well starting his own business.”

“But what about me?”

“What do you want, Michael?”

“I want you to stay. I want you to give us a chance.”

“Okay, we’re talking in circles now.”

Brian motions for him to drink up.

“No, wait! Don’t go yet.”

“I have to get back and finish helping Emmett move his things, and help Justin with the packing.”

“What about Ma? Does she know you’re leaving us?”

Brian looks irritated. “I’m not leaving you. Justin and I are moving out of state.”

“She’s not going to take this well.”

“She already knows.”

“She knows, and she didn’t tell me?”

“We thought it was best if I told you.”

“So… So when are you leaving?”

“Bright and early Monday morning. Jennifer’s having a going-away dinner at her house on Sunday night. I hope you’ll come with Deb and Carl.”

“That’s tomorrow night! Tonight will be our last night together! So we’ll have to go to Babylon one last time. Really do it right. You’ll have your pick of all the beautiful men one last time before you leave. Just like old times.”

Brian shakes his head as he stands up, wondering when Michael will see that he’s not that person anymore. He’s committed to Justin and their relationship, no longer interested in other men.

“Actually, Justin and I went dancing at Babylon last night. We’ve already said our good byes.”

‘But… But we didn’t get to have one last drink together.”





“Michael, we just did.”

“That was it? That’s all I get?”

“Michael, I’m not going to do this. Don’t you get it? I’m really angry with you right now. I’m mad at you for the way you manipulated me. You lied to me about Justin. I just don’t trust you or feel close to you anymore.”

“But I’m your best friend…”

~~~

Twelve years later…

“Michael, I need you to clean your room, and help clean up around the house and yard.”

“Ma! I’m busy.”

“You’re playing video games and reading comics.”

“This is my day off. Can’t I just relax without having to work around the house?”

“Michael Charles Novotny! I don’t ask much of you. I let you live here rent free, I cook all your meals and do your laundry. The least you can do is help out when I ask you to.”

“What’s the big occasion? Are you hosting this month’s PFLAG meeting?”

“No. Molly’s wedding is this weekend, and we might have guests from out of town stopping by.”

“Who the fuck is Molly?”

“Molly is Jennifer’s daughter. If you were actually nice to her, not rude and condescending, you’d know that.”

“Oh, Justin’s bratty sister.”

“Michael! She’s twenty-four years old. She’s sweet and charming, and she’s getting married on Saturday.”

“Like I care. Besides, why would any of her friends be stopping by here?”

Debbie hesitates to actually tell Michael, but realizes that she just has to get it over with. “Brian and Justin are flying in for the wedding.”

“Brian’s going to be in town and this is the first I’m hearing about it? Why didn’t you tell me? I have tickets for the Comic Con, but I guess I could miss it this year.”

“There’s no need for you to change your plans.”

“Of course I’ll change my plans. Brian and I have so much to catch up on.”

“Michael! I doubt that he’ll have much free time. He and Justin will have to attend all the events to celebrate Molly’s wedding.”

“Why wasn’t I invited to the wedding?”

“Do you even know Molly? Why would she invite you? Besides, the way you talk about Jennifer and Justin, it’s obvious that you don’t like them or have any interest in their lives.”

“But Brian could have invited me. I’m his best friend.”

“This isn’t Brian’s and Justin’s wedding. He’s part of the family, but it’s Molly’s wedding.”

“I’m sure Brian still wants to see me. You said it was Saturday. How long could the wedding be? Three, maybe four hours? We’ll have lots of time together. God, I’m so excited!”

“Michael, they’re here for more than just the wedding. There’s the welcome home dinner, and the rehearsal dinner. Then there’s the day of the wedding, making sure everything runs smoothly. After that is the wedding itself, and the newlyweds’ breakfast the next morning, before they leave for their honeymoon.”

“Doesn’t she have a wedding planner? Besides, I’m sure Brian has no intention of being involved in so much family time.”

“Yes, Emmett is their wedding planner, and he’s organized all these events for the weekend. Besides, Brian’s changed. He’s grown up in the last decade since you’ve seen him.”

“That I’ve got to see. I’m sure he’s still the same hot stud he’s always been.”

“Michael. He’s forty-four years old these days. He has his own advertising firm, and a family. He’s very committed to his relationship with Sunshine, and he’s happy for once in his life.”

“He has kids?”

“Yes, Michael. He’s not some over-aged club kid anymore, and he doesn’t prowl the backrooms looking for blowjobs and a quickie. Like I said, he’s grown up and has a family.”

“Are you implying that I’m ‘some over-aged club kid?’“

“I’m just saying that your lives have very little in common anymore. Maybe you should grow up and take some responsibility for your life, instead of sleeping till noon on your days off, reading comic books and playing video games.”

“I can’t believe Brian’s a father.”

“Brian’s been a father for fifteen years. Remember Gus?”

“But he’s Mel and Lindsay’s kid. Besides, they moved to Canada shortly after Brian left town.”

“Yes, but he’s been very much involved in Gus’s life as he’s grown up.”

Michael’s annoyed, frustrated, and angry about everything he’s been told about Brian and Justin’s life. He’s having a hard time accepting that Brian has grown up and changed. He still thinks of him as he was before his first accident, experiencing memory loss. It’s a case of out of sight, out of mind.

After he left Debbie’s house he called Ted to get the scoop, he’s been out of the loop since Brian and Justin left town, in denial for years. Everyone walks on eggshells around Michael when it comes to them, knowing that he still carries a torch for Brian. He basically lives in a bubble, not willing to accept Brian and Justin’s relationship. He’s sheltered himself away from everyone, over time withdrawing from most of his friends, seeming to mostly live in his head with his fantasies.

Brian started his own ad agency in San Francisco called Kinnetik, and after Justin graduated from The Academy of the Arts, has had a very successful career as an artist. Ted and Emmett visit them almost every year, but Michael rarely asks about them. It’s still too painful for him, and no one wants to pour salt in his wound. Everyone assumed that he’d resolve his reality and let go of his dream. But he’s still bitter and has yet to really date anyone since Ben, let alone fall in love. Once Ben and Brian were no longer in Michael’s life he became depressed, often not opening the comic book store until late afternoon. Within the first year he had to declare bankruptcy. He moved back in to his old room at Deb’s and she got him a job at the diner. After waiting tables for a few years he was promoted to line cook, which is steady work but he doesn’t really make much money.

Ted and Emmett are a different story; they’ve always been good friends and are very close. So after several failed relationships they decided to try dating, and soon fell in love. Years later they married on the very first day it became legal in Pennsylvania. It’s kind of funny that the very popular party planner ends up eloping, and foregoing a fancy wedding for himself. After a year or so of running his website, Ted sold it and made a killing, and opened up his own accounting firm. He ended up luring away most of Wertshafter’s clients, becoming one of Pittsburgh’s most influential financial planners.

Deb and Carl were married a few years after Brian and Justin moved to California. But they couldn’t get away to attend the wedding, although Brian insisted on paying for it. Their twin daughters, Caitlyn and Joslyn were born on the same day Debbie and Carl tied the knot. Brian and Justin always kept in touch, letting Deb know how they and the kids were doing. Brian insists on flying them out once a year for a few weeks’ vacation. Deb and Jennifer are still very close, and both are still involved with PFLAG as well as organizing marches and speaking on behalf of same-sex marriage, and the right to adopt.

It’s been quite a year for Brian and Justin, especially after the Supreme Court made same-sex marriage the law of the land. They renewed their vows, having gotten married those few days a couple years ago before the State of California’s law was challenged. It made them one of those couples who were legally married, but caught up in the loophole of the law. They elected not to tell anyone at the time, knowing how upset they’d be at not being invited. Then the girls wanted them to get married again, because the first time they did it on their lunch hour all by themselves. So it was just a handful of friends, the girls and them on the ocean’s edge at the Golden Gate Park at sunset. They promised themselves that they’d do it again on the first anniversary of their second marriage, inviting everyone, hoping they’d be none the wiser.

Emmett has been helping plan Molly’s wedding for the last eighteen months. Deb and Jennifer have decided to wait until after Molly’s wedding before they start pushing Brian and Justin to tie the knot. Earlier this year Melanie and Lindsay put their house up for sale in Toronto, and have applied for jobs in Pennsylvania as well as California. They’re ready to move back to the States, because they can renew their vows and still have their original wedding in Canada recognized in the States.

Lindsay is pushing to move to California, as she’d like to live near Brian and Justin to allow Gus to spend more time with his father as a teenager. Not that he hasn’t seen Brian and Justin often, having spent every summer living with them, since they moved to California. It’s also become tradition for them to spend all the major holidays in San Francisco every year. Even though Lindsay always wanted another child with Brian, she’s resolved herself to being Aunt Lindz to their daughters, and Gus loves being a big brother.

Brian worked very hard to make Kinnetik prosperous, and it has grown into a large international ad agency. He’s actually semi-retired, only going into the office from nine until two, but still works from home and travels frequently. He loves being home, helping raise the kids, and his schedule allows him to drop them off and pick up the girls from school. Both he and Justin love being parents, they’re very involved with the girl’s activities and tend to spoil them just a little. Okay, who are we kidding? Brian loves spoiling them a lot, but he can afford it.

Justin is very popular in the local art scene, and his paintings are shown in several galleries in San Francisco on a permanent basis. He also has several special events and art shows throughout California and the country during the year. He usually does one international art show per year during the summer. He always insists that Brian and the girls travel with him when he’s away for more than a few days at a time. His family is very important to him, and they always come first.

They were very lucky when they met Virginia, who lives just a few houses down from them. She is also a local artist and over the first few years they all became great friends. She was thrilled when Brian and Justin approached her about being a surrogate for them. It worked out so well for everyone involved that their little clan isn’t so little anymore. She and Justin make very beautiful children, and as much as Justin loves his girls, it’s Brian who is completely devoted to their children. They’re true fashionistas in training…


Caitlyn & Joslyn


Roxanne



Elizabeth

Angela

Yep, it’s a full house at the Taylor-Kinney residence, and they’re all Daddy’s little girls…

“Brian, are the girls ready? The car service is going to be here any minute to take us to the airport.”

“Don’t you think our sweet little angel looks just like Jennifer Lawrence?”

“What? Jennifer Lawrence? Brian, what is she wearing?”

“I think it’s one of those Tae Kwan Do outfits.”

“You think? Brian, she’s fourteen months old, she didn’t just pick this up on her way home from the mall.”

“The mall? Lord forbid!”

“Brian!”

“Okay, it is a Tae Kwan Do outfit.”

“Is she also enrolled in Tae Kwan Do classes?”

“No, of course not. She’s too young”

“But she has the outfit?”

“Apparently?”

“Because you bought it for her?”

“Well, yes… But I bought all the girls Tae Kwan Do outfits.”

“Because you’re planning on raising a clan of blonde Ninja warriors?”

“Self-defense is a very important skill.”

“You have way too much money and way too much time on your hands.”

“I was thinking they needed a new activity.”

“Right, because Spanish, ballet, and piano lessons aren’t enough? Oh and let’s not forget soccer.”

“You know, I think you’re right. We better hurry, the limo’s going to be here soon.”

“Jennifer Lawrence? You really think so?”

“She’s adorable…”

“Is Jennifer planning on wearing that on the plane, or are you changing her outfit?”

"Okay, I’ll change Angela’s outfit. But just so you know, she picked this out.”

“I have no doubt about that.”

“She’s showing her independence, that’s a good thing.”

“Make sure she’s wearing something comfortable. It’s going to be a long flight, and even longer with five girls to wrangle.”

“My daughters are all sweet little angels.”

“You mean our daughters.”

“Of course I do.”

“I’ll remember that when they hit puberty.”

Brian’s face turned to horror just thinking about them actually growing up.


Justin’s POV

We’re in first class, of course, Brian would never fly in coach. The flight attendants can’t stop gushing over the girls, and Brian, but that’s to be expected. The flight was actually calm, the twins played with their Barbies, talking quietly between themselves in what has become their own private language only they understand. Roxanne sat with Brian and read him several of her favorite books before falling asleep. Elizabeth snuggled right down with her panda bear and slept most of the flight. Angela and I made kissy faces, babbled to one another in baby talk and ate an entire box of graham crackers. We’re now both covered in crumbs and a little moist from baby drool, because that’s what babies do.

The car service pulls up in front of Mom’s house and she runs out the minute we come to a stop. She loves being a grandmother, and she and Tucker visit us three or four times a year, so the girls know her pretty well.

“Oh My God, there’s my little angels! I’ve missed you all so much!”

“Mom, you were just out for a visit six weeks ago.”

“Six weeks is a long time. Look how much Angela has grown.”

Once inside we see that everyone’s here, as if we weren’t going to see them every day were visiting. But this way we have lots of help with the kids. Deb comes over and smothers the girls with hugs and kisses, and Carl can’t help mentioning how beautiful and grown up they are. They bask in the attention until Brian shoos them out the back door to play on the swing set, but mostly so mom’s house doesn’t look like a tornado struck it.

While Joslyn, Caitlyn and Roxy fill with excitement, talking a mile a minute, running around crazy, Elizabeth and Angela become shy, insisting on being held by Brian and me. It will take them a little while to feel comfortable around so many strangers. Of course they’re not strangers, but the girls are young and don’t remember Deb and Carl as well as they do Mom and Tucker.

Soon Molly and Brad join us for dinner as we kick off the long weekend of celebration. Afterwards they went out for one last night on the town. Brad, with his fraternity brothers and friends. Molly, with all her bridesmaids, college friends and a few girls from St. James. We stayed for a while, chatting and going over the schedule of events for the weekend. Soon the girls were getting sleepy so we headed back to our hotel to get settled in. They were out as soon as their heads hit the pillows, so Brian closed their bedroom doors and grabbed both baby monitors so we could keep an ear on them.

It’s been a long day, and Brian always knows just what I need. He comes up behind me as I stand in front of the picture windows of the penthouse. Looking out over the city, I can’t help remembering how I chased Brian as a love-sick teenager, but I finally got my man.

“It’s been so long since we’ve been back. I didn’t think it would bring back so many memories.”

“I remember how the light from the streetlamp reflected off your beautiful blond locks, stirring up something deep inside of me.”

“As I recall it stirred up something in the nether region as you whisked me away to your lair.”

“My beautifully naive young boy, so innocent and longing for love.”

I grin as I rest my head back into his shoulder, he leans down and tenderly kisses my lips.

“I loved that I was your first.”

“I loved that you were my first too. I couldn’t have had a better teacher.”

“You captured my heart that very first night together.”

“Yet you pushed me away like I was on fire.”

“You were on fire. God, I was so jealous of anyone who came near you.”

“Yet, you insisted on keeping me at arm’s length, reeling me back in when it suited your fancy.”

“I may have been a bit possessive. I didn’t understand my feelings at the time.”

“I’m so glad you figured them out.”

“Me too. I’d be lost without you.”

Brian slowly starts unbuttoning Justin’s shirt, and then moves to his zipper. Once his clothes are in a pile on the floor, he carries him to the bed and lays him down, running kisses all over his body.

“You’re still so beautiful. God, I love you.”

They hear a few cries, and then Angela settles down again.

“Hurry up and make this fast before someone needs water, or has a bad dream.”

“Yes, dear…”

~~~

Brian strips in record time and flips Justin onto his stomach in one fell swoop. He pulls him up onto his knees, nudging them apart. Justin rests his head and shoulders on the bed, giving Brian full access. Brian’s hard-on rages as he sees Justin balls hanging between his legs, he’s never seen anything more beautiful. He pulls his cheeks apart and licks in circles, until his tongue is breaching his rosebud. Pushing deeper, he penetrates his tight muscle, opening him up as he hears Justin moan his name.





Several more circles, then he replaces his tongue with a generously lubed finger. He licks and kisses his way up Justin’s spine until he reaches his neck, nibbling him gently. Once aligned he thrusts deeply into his blond, filling him completely. Justin moans as Brian sets a rhythm that soon pulls them both close to the edge. He reaches around and grasps Justin’s cock in his hand, gliding back and forth until he feels Justin’s orgasm trigger deep within him, his muscles squeezing him tightly. They both cum together, loving the intense sensations quaking through them, sending them off in to a deep night’s sleep.

They wake the next morning to the girls bouncing on the bed, begging to go swimming in the pool. Brian takes them all down except Angela, then they meet up in the hotel restaurant for breakfast an hour later. Justin talks with Emmett and makes arrangements for the girls to come over and try on their dresses for the wedding. Over the last twelve years Fabulous has flourished, and expanded so Em and Ted ended up purchasing the loft building on Tremont and Fuller.

They took over the top two floors as their living quarters, and the bottom two floors houses Fabulous. Now divided into three sections, the second floor is Fabulous Feasts that handles all the catering needs, and the first floor is open to the public, featuring Fabulous Flowers that handles all the decorations and flowers for events. And finally Fabulous Fashions, that specializes in evening wear. Everything from ball gowns, bridal and bridesmaids’ gowns and designer dresses to a comprehensive line of men’s suits and tuxes. There’s also several tailors on site for alterations and custom-made fashions.

Jennifer and Debbie had their dresses designed by Oscar, as well as Molly’s wedding gown, and the bridesmaids’ dresses. There are seven bridesmaids, including Caitlyn and Joslyn, Roxanne is the flower girl. Molly had wanted Elizabeth to be the flower girl but Justin didn’t think she was old enough. Being only three he felt she would be easily distracted and may divert the wedding guest’s attention from the ceremony. But she and Angela are still wearing complimentary outfits to match the other girls.


Justin’s POV

Brian has this weird obsession with dressing them alike. I’ve tried to tell him that it’s just a matter of time before they start rebelling, after all Joslyn and Caitlyn are almost nine. They’re headed right into double digits next year, and soon after that they’ll be teenagers. Of course this totally freaks him out, making him panic a little. I’m not sure if it’s the idea that they may or may not be gay. He still has an aversion to the idea of lesbian sex, but the idea that they’ll like cock isn’t much better. If he had his way they’d never grow up, they’d stay the same age as they are now. But then again, so would he.

After talking it over last night we decided that it was best if we stopped in to say hi to Michael at the diner. This way Michael would only be able to take a break, or possibly his lunch hour. Either way it would limit the amount of time, and being in a public place he is less likely to cause a scene. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that he’s moved on with his life, and let go of some of his anger towards us. Who knows? Maybe he’ll even be happy, and it won’t be too awkward for everyone.

Brian has called him a few times since we’ve moved to California, but those conversations didn’t go very well. Michael was obviously still carrying a torch for Brian, and he was a bit delusional about everything. So Brian stopped calling, or returning his calls and their friendship eventually faded away. Even though we’ve stayed in touch with Deb, Carl, Ted and Emmett, they rarely mention Michael, and we don’t ask as it just makes everyone uncomfortable. Brian feels bad about how things have worked out between them but it was an unhealthy relationship and some childhood friendships weren’t meant to last a lifetime.

Once Roxanne, Elizabeth and Angela try on their dresses, and Oscar checks the fit, Brian decides to take them to the park. We make plans to meet up for lunch together at the diner once we’re through here. Caitlyn and Joslyn love being part of the wedding party, fussing over the details. They try on the hats Molly picked out for them, but they really don’t work; they look ridiculous. So Emmett is working with Oscar and the floral department to make a crown of daises and baby’s breath, to circle their heads.

Brian calls to let me know the girls are getting hungry, so Caitlyn, Joslyn and I meet them at the park and we all head out to the diner. Deb’s working today so as soon as they walk through the door, Debbie has us engulfed in one of her bone-crushing hugs. Michael hears all the commotion, sticking his head out from the kitchen. He’s shocked to see Brian and quickly asks if he can take his break now. He comes over and grabs Brian, hugging him much like Debbie just did; the girls just stare at him, wondering who he is. Michael looks around and sees me, and I can see the disdain for me in his eyes. Debbie’s right there with a highchair to put at the end of the booth. Michael looks confused then focuses on the girls.

“Michael, these are our daughters, Joslyn, Caitlyn, Roxanne, Elizabeth and Angela.”

“Wow? I can’t believe you have so many kids. How did Justin manipulate you into that?”


Brian frowns, trying to control his anger. “Justin didn’t manipulate me into anything, Michael. I love my daughters.”

“Yeah. Right.”

“Michael!”

“Brian, I know you, remember? You’re not meant to be a family man, or even married.”

“Michael, I told you last time I saw you that I’ve changed and since then I’ve changed even more. I love being a father and a husband. I can’t imagine my life without them in it.”

Michael looks at him in disbelief, but he sees the look in Brian’s eyes and knows not to continue with this line of conversation. Debbie overheard him and she smacks him across the back of his head, telling him to behave and grow up. I motion for Brian to take the first booth for him and Michael, while the girls and I take the next one. Michael grins, seeing that he has Brian all to himself, momentarily, anyways.

“How convenient to have a built-in babysitter.”

“Michael! Justin’s my partner and husband.”

“Right, of course.”

Brian’s sure this was a mistake, and he wonders if they should just get up and leave, but Debbie’s making a fuss over the girls. Elizabeth comes over and sits next to Brian. “Daddy, I’m starving.”

Brian looks at the diner menu, having forgotten just how bad the food here is. “Okay, how about breakfast for lunch?”

“Yes! I want waffles!” Now Roxanne is also sitting with Brian and both she and Elizabeth are all smiles chanting, “Waffles, waffles, waffles.”

Brian orders his usual turkey sandwich with oatmeal for Angela, while the twins and I read through the menu.

Angela reaches out, touching my arm. “Fies, Daddy.”

“No, Angel, we’ve ordered you oatmeal. It’s your favorite.”

She looks at me with her most serious expression. “Fies!”

“Yes, Daddy J, please can we have French fries too? Please, Daddy, please???”

Realizing this isn’t a fight I’m going to win, I give in and order a large plate of fries for the table.

“Wow! These little brats sure know how to get their way, don’t they?”

Brian glares at Michael. “Don’t. Just don’t start, Michael.”

“What? I didn’t say anything.”

Brian wonders who’s more immature, the girls or Michael. Things are already off to a bad start and they’ve only just ordered. He really wishes he had come here on his own.

“Daddy J?”

“Yes, Roxy?”

“You said you we’re going check Angela’s diaper.”

Deb comes by and scoops Angela up, saying she’ll change her in the employee lounge, she’s not sure how clean the restroom is. Brian thanks her, knowing the bathroom is probably a cesspool. Michael’s sitting in his seat snickering, finally he bursts out laughing when he looks at Brian.

“Diaper, Huggies.”

“What? What are you laughing about?”

“I was just remembering that guy you fucked who wore a diaper.” More laughing…

“Michael!”

“Daddy, he said a bad word.”

Angela, “Fuck!”

Justin’s not happy and Brian angrily snaps. “What the fuck is wrong with you? Not in front of my kids!”

Elizabeth eyes are really big. “Daddy, you and Angela both said a bad word.”

Roxanne says, “Daddy? What did he mean? Men don’t wear diapers.”

“Jesus Christ, Michael!”

“I didn’t do anything! I mean. I didn’t mean to.”

“You’re a fucking asshole!”

“Daddy!”

“I know…”

Debbie returns looking at Brian she can tell he’s stressed. She just knows this has something to do with Michael, because he’s looking guilty as sin.

Justin and the twins end up ordering cheeseburgers and cokes.

“So, Daddy? Does this mean we get ice cream and hot fudge?”

“We have to Daddy, it’s the law!”

Debbie looks at Brian and Justin questioningly? “Law?”

Caitlyn says, “She means rule.”

“Rule?”

Joslyn tells her, “Yeah. When daddy says a bad word we get ice cream, if he’s says a bunch of bad words we get hot fudge sundaes.”

Debbie. “I see…”

Joslyn replies, “Yeah, Daddy says a lot of bad words.”

Debbie says, “What happened to the idea of a swear jar?”





“It was getting too full, so we went out for ice cream.”

Justin’s not happy because he told Brian that he didn’t want the girls eating lots of chocolate or sweets today. He thought they might get sick before the wedding tomorrow.

“Justin, please, just give me a break? We’re on vacation.”

Elizabeth says, “Yeah, Daddy J, we’re vacating.”

“Okay, but just a little bit.”

“Deb, can we get those waffles with a little ice cream and hot fudge?”

Elizabeth emphasizes, “I just want hot fudge.”

Roxanne adds, “I want ice cream on mine and lots of hot fudge.”

“No. Elizabeth, you get bananas with a small amount of hot fudge on your waffles. Roxanne, you get a small scoop of ice cream and a small amount of hot fudge on your waffles.”

Angela just squeaks. “Yes, I haven’t forgotten about you. She’ll have a couple of banana slices with whipped cream, no hot fudge.”

In unison both Roxanne and Elizabeth ask for whipped cream too. Justin nods okay as he feels Angela’s sticky hand touch his.

“Cher…”

“Oh yes, she needs a cherry on top.”

“Me too, me too.”

Justin looks at Caitlyn and Joslyn telling them they can split a hot fudge sundae, but only after they’d eaten their lunch.

Michael’s break is over and he has to go back to work, irritated that he didn’t get to really spend any time with Brian. But maybe that’s a good thing because he’s never seen Brian so angry with him before. He realizes he was acting like a total ass, but he just couldn’t help himself. He wasn’t thinking, and then he started feeling like Brian wasn’t paying any attention to him and resented it.

The rest of the weekend went by in a blur; Emmett did a wonderful job as the wedding planner. Everything was perfect. Molly looked beautiful and the dinner was fabulous and everyone had a wonderful time. It was great for Brian and Justin to be back in town and spend some time with old friends and family. The girls were pampered by both their grandmothers and it was hard to say good-bye to everyone. It was an exhausting trip, but it was also good to be home, and sleep in their bed.

“Next time we go away, I want it to be just the two of us. Someplace romantic even if it’s only overnight.”

“Yes, dear…”

~~~

Michael finds himself sitting in the back of Woody’s drinking, as Brian’s words keep echoing through his mind. It was twelve years ago, but it seems like yesterday to Michael…

“Justin is the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“But I always thought we’d be together in the end.”

”You never understood me, or who I really was.”

“Justin saw right through all my mantras. He saw me for who I really was, flaws and all. And you know what? He loves me just the way I am, not for who he thinks I should be.”

“But what about me, Brian? I’m your best friend.”

“You have to let go of your foolish childhood fantasies.”

“I won’t make it without you. I love you.”

“You’re going to be alright. You’re going to move on and live your life. Like you should have done right from the beginning.”

“When will I see you again?”



Then there’s his mother’s voice, he was so happy when he heard that Brian was coming into town. Then it all changed…

“But Brian could have invited me. I’m his best friend.”

“I’m just saying that your lives have very little in common anymore.”

“But I’m his best friend.”

“He’s very committed to his relationship with Sunshine, and he’s happy for once in his life.”

“Michael! He’s not some over-aged club kid anymore, and he doesn’t prowl the backrooms, looking for blowjobs and a quickie.”

“But I’m his best friend.”








Over the last decade he’s wondered if Brian and Justin were really still in love, or if they’d lost that spark. But it was so obvious seeing them together, they’re even more in love today than they were twelve years ago. Michael’s drinking heavily, but his pain just keeps getting worse. It’s like he stopped living when Brian left town, and he was just waiting for Brian to return and realize he made a mistake. He’s been waiting for Brian to come and beg him to forgive him, telling him how much he’s loved him all along.

Now he’s feeling his age, and looking at his life or lack thereof. He’s middle aged, living in his childhood bedroom, still obsessed with comics and the new boy in school. That was thirty years ago, and he’s never grown up and now looking back over his life he realizes how pathetic he is. Tears run down his face as he tries to figure out what to do. The saddest part is he still has no idea what he wants to do, or who he wants to be when he grows up.

It is obvious that he really screwed things up when he saw Brian at the diner. He can’t help wondering if they’ll even see each other again, but he knows it’s unlikely. Brian’s moved on with his life, and just like his mother said, they really don’t have anything in common anymore.

Now it seems Michael is the one with memory problems. But his problem is he’ll never be able to forget…

The End…

The End.
7Wildwaysup is the author of 89 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Big Sleep also liked 290 other stories.