- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin and Gus start their journey to rescue Brian and are dumped in the most unusual of places.

 

Warning: Justin/OC briefly in this chapter. However, before you get upset, remember my handle (wink)

 

THE ICE KING

Chapter 3

The Garden of Eternal Summer

 

         It was daytime so they must have flown into another time zone. They were in a snowy field next to a one lane country road. The road was plowed but iced over. And just down the road a bit they could see that it ended at a garden gate. A white, 9 foot high picket fence surrounded a large property.

         "I'm cold," said Gus. "Do you think that house is friendly?"

         "I don't know, buddy. Let's go find out."

         Justin was cold too. The North Wind had chilled him to the bone, his clothes were wet and snow had gotten down into his boots. He and Gus were both a little blue and he couldn't stop shivering.

         With difficulty, he hauled himself out of the snowbank, and then lifted Gus out as well. Together, they carefully picked their way along the icy roadway toward the gate, with Justin holding onto Gus' hand. When they reached the gate, Justin tried it to see if it was open. It was. He pushed it open. His eyes widened and he gasped in astonishment.

         There was a quaint two story cottage inside. The cottage had a thatch roof and a red door and a wraparound porch. It stood in the center of a large property. There was a large lawn with garden beds and flowerbeds dotted throughout.  But that wasn't what made Justin astonished.

         Inside the gate, inside the yard, it was summer. The flowerbeds were in bloom and the vegetables were growing. There was no snow and the grass was green and thick. In fact, Justin could see where the snow ended, right at his feet at the border of the gate.

         Justin and Gus stepped inside and let the gate snap shut behind them. The cold winter became a memory and they were enveloped in sultry, hot air. They took off their hats and undid their scarves and their jackets began to steam. They could feel themselves finally start to warm up.

         As they walked slowly up the stone walkway, Justin said softly but urgently, "OK Gus, listen carefully. It's important. We're far from home. We're the strangers. We've taught you good manners for visiting. I need you to be on your best behaviour, OK buddy?"

         "OK Papa! I'll be good. I promise."

         The smell of the flowers was intoxicating. There were all kinds, hyacinths, chrysanthemums, tiger lilies, violets, daisies, and many others. There were dozens of rose bushes everywhere adding their perfume to the mix.

         Justin and Gus made it up to the red front door and knocked. There were sounds of movement as someone thunked downstairs and through halls. Justin felt that tensing as one does when one knocks on a strange door and doesn't know what they are going to encounter.

         The door opened. Before them stood a handsome young man in his late twenties with curly brown hair and a small, curly, goatee.

         "Hello?" he said friendly but warily as if Justin might have been an unwelcome salesman.

         Justin turned his multiple hats in his hands nervously. He felt like the cliché hobo who goes begging for alms or bread. But he forced himself to look up into the greenest eyes he had ever seen. "Hello sir. My name is Justin. Justin Taylor. This is my son Gus. We're...we're travelling..."

         "We're going to see the Ice King!" piped up Gus unhelpfully. Justin closed his eyes in consternation. Oh, great! The guy would think they were crazy or liars or worse.

         "The Ice King! My goodness! You boys still have a long way to go!" said the man in an accent Justin could not identify, staring down at Gus in adoration.

         Justin's eyes popped open. One green eye gave a lazy wink that made Justin's heart turn over. Brian used to do that all the time before....before.

         "Gus! Manners!" Justin softly admonished, and said, "The thing is...we have become a bit lost. We could use a rest from the cold and...well it was cold...and maybe a meal. If that's too much we could just sit outside here and warm up and get our bearings..."

         The man laughed and his laughter was like music. "What nonsense! Of course you shall come in! And you shall share my dinner and sleep in a good bed with a trundle bed pull out for Gus here. You can continue your journey tomorrow if you like."

         "Oh that would be wonderful! Thank you! Are you sure we're not going to impose on you...or anybody else?"

         "Not at all. And there is no one else here to impose on. I have been alone here for many a year. I am what you call...a recluse? Yes that is it."

         "But why?" asked Justin, "You're so young! Don't you want to share your life?"

         "Sometimes. But I prefer my own company and do not wish to seek after a woman. And besides, I am guardian of the most wonderful spot of the Earth and it occupies my time constantly. I am never bored. Please come in."

         He ushered them into a vestibule with hooks for coats and a place for their shoes. There was just enough room for everything. Then the young man gave them a quick tour of the house.

         "Kitchen and eating area...living room...bathroom. The bedrooms are up the hall. There is a guest bedroom that will have your own small bathroom. That's it. My name is Ian."

         Justin felt a chill. "That's funny. I..." He stopped.

         "Yes? Is there something wrong with my name?"

         "No! No, it's just I used to know someone named...well, I thought I knew him.  Uh...say thank you to Ian, Gus."

         "Thank you Ian," piped Gus.

         "Your welcome, little one," said Ian.

         "Ian, I'm confused. It is winter...it was winter...We were so cold. But here..."

         "It's nearly Christmas!" yelled Gus excitedly.

         "And yet...here, it's summer. How can that be?"

         "That's a story to be told over a cold glass of lemonade," returned Ian, "For now, just know that within my borders it is summer. In fact, it is always summer." He led them over to the back door. "Welcome," he opened the back door," to the Garden of Eternal Summer."

         Justin and Gus gasped and stepped out onto the back porch. They stared and stared but they couldn't look hard enough. It was unbelievable and so beautiful it was like looking at Paradise.

         As far as the eye could see in every direction was a lush garden made up of all kinds of flowers, vegetable beds growing all manner of vegetables, berry bushes, and fruit trees and bushes. Near the house to either side were a number of composters.  To the left and far off was a clearing with a number of boxy structures. Nearby these was a henhouse. Hens milled about free range. There was a large greenhouse. Far in the distance to the left was a small apple orchard. Far in the distance and to the right, was an orchard alternating peach and pear trees. And all throughout was a red brick path winding and twisting and branching off and coming together, separating and joining the beds together in a fun way. The sky was blue. The air was hot and nicely humid. Justin could feel the chill that had wormed its way into the marrow of his bones finally begin to wear off.

         "I don't understand! How can this be? Doesn't it mess up the natural order of things?' asked Justin.

         "Natural what, Papa?" Gus asked confused.

         "Say Gus," said Ian, producing a basket from seemingly nowhere, "How would you like to pick us some strawberries for after dinner?"

         "Oh boy!" cried Gus, "Hear that, Papa! Strawberries!"

         "Now, listen carefully. Do you see that patch of daisies? That's right. Just beyond them you will find the strawberry patch. Eat some if you want but remember, you must have room to eat dinner and you must fill the basket. If you feel you cannot find your way back, stand still and say I'm lost, I need some help and one of the robins will lead you out again. Can you remember that?"

         "I'm lost, I need some help. Fill the basket. Yes, I'll remember."

         "That's good. We'll be right here waiting for you. Good luck."

         "OK!" Gus took his basket and started to wend his way through the paths.

         "He's an adorable little boy," said Ian, watching him go.

         "Yes," Justin answered.

         "But he isn't yours," Ian said matter of factly.

         Justin felt a chill go through him that had nothing to do with the weather. "No, that's true. Biologically, he's my partner's. He donated sperm for a lesbian couple we know. But as far as he's concerned, I'm his other Papa, just as if I was. As far as I'm concerned too," he said pointedly.

         "Ahhh. I see. So you are not a seeker of women either."

         "I - well, I - well, no, I guess I'm not."

         "Why do you hesitate?"

         "I didn't mean to. It's just I've never really heard it put like that before."

         "Ahh I see. Why don't I get us some lemonade? Then I'll explain the garden to you."

         As Justin waited, his stomach continued to churn nervously. His mind began to race.  Was Ian really a benefactor? Did he have designs on Gus, to take him away? Did he have designs on him now that he knew Justin was also a homosexual. What if the sole reason Ian was a recluse was because he was a homosexual? And did that mean there was a town nearby that he needed to hide out from? A town where Justin could get his bearings from and continue north. And how was this place possible? So many questions with no answers.

         Ian came back with two glasses and a pitcher of lemonade. As he poured, Justin said, "Ian, I think I should make something clear. I want to thank you for your hospitality and for your friendship but I am not a seeker of man anymore either. Well, I am but I'm a seeker of one man. My partner was taken...kidnapped..."

         "By the Ice King...yes, I know," said Ian calmly.

         Justin's eyes widened. "You do!? You know about the Ice King?" Suddenly he was on his feet. "You didn't have anything to do with Brian's abduction, did you?" he asked fiercely.

         "Justin, Justin, calm yourself. No, I didn't have anything to do with that." He handed Justin his lemonade. Slowly, Justin sat down but he was on the edge of his seat now.

         "Heh! Heh! Thought I was just humoring your boy earlier didn't you? Yes, I've heard the legend of the Ice King too but I thought it was just that...a legend, a fairy tale. All I know is that every story I have heard about him portrays him as a benevolent being. If he is real, and your partner has been taken by him, rest assured, he is unharmed and in no danger."

         "But - well, it's a long story on how we got here but the long and short of it is, I don't know where to go next. Also, I need a phone! I need to talk to his mothers as soon as possible"

         "As to where you go next, that's easy enough. When you are ready, go to the back of the garden," Ian pointed toward the back of the yard, which could not be seen. The gate out the back points exactly north. Just go in a straight line away from my place and you'll be headed north."

         "Oh, thank you!" Justin said, "That's a great help!"

         "Unfortunately though, I have no phone. I'm completely self sufficient here. There is no need for one."

         "Drat! I really need to talk with them. I did not mean to bring Gus along but...it became necessary."

         "Try not to fret about it. You will find what you seek eventually. Rest first. Spend a night or two. I'll tell you about the garden now if you like."

         "Oh yes!"

         Ian got up and went to the porch railing and looked away from Justin out into the garden. "I wanted to wait until I had occupied your boy before starting my explanation. The fact is...I'm a warlock. Fear not. I know no harmful magic. My dominion is over nature and the animal world. That is why I decided to make this paradise for myself, drop off the grid, and live my life in peace."

         He paused for a beat, took a deep breath and turned around. His face lit up. "You are still here! I am happy."

         Justin was confused. "Where would I have gone?"

         "I have told that story to many a traveler and all of them were dressed and halfway to the front gate by the time I turned around. You alone have stayed."

         "Well, I have Gus to think about. But even so..." he continued, "I would have stayed. I am many things that mainstream society does not approve of. I have no right to judge."

         "Nevertheless, I thank thee. Now, where was I? You asked about the natural order. The natural order is fine. Things grow, things die. New plants grow in their place. If I grow too much of a surplus, I sell them. If the hens grow too numerous I sell them. It pains me to know what will happen to them but I must to keep them from overcrowding. Those are beehives," he said, pointing to the boxy structures. "Every so often they will swarm and fly out of my dominion. They - oh, my goodness! Look! It's happening right now! Watch!"

         So Justin watched as a cloud of bees arose from one of the hives and hovered for a moment and then flew off toward the edge of the yard. They flew over the fence and BAM! It was as if they hit a wall and they fell out of sight, all together.

         "What happened!?"

         Ian sighed. "Instant hibernation. Often fatal. It is winter out there, you said? Once they leave my borders they are subject to the conditions of the real world. I do wish they wouldn't do that during the winter but..." he shrugged helplessly.

         He changed the subject. "Everything that dies, and the chicken's...poop...I compost.  The compost feeds the living gardens. The cycle continues and is everlasting. The only thing that is missing is someone to share it with. "

         "I thought you didn't want that," said Justin.

         "I can live without it. And I have never found anyone to accept me yet. But..."

         "But what?"

         "If I did find someone who accepted me...I would ask him to stay and share in my eternal summer for as long as we lived."

         "Uh oh!" thought Justin.

**    **    ****

         Gus was having a grand old time. He had found the strawberries and promptly forgotten what Ian had said about saving room for dinner. He had eaten about 2 for every 1 that went in the basket and now he was stuffed. But he had also finally filled the basket per Ian's orders. He was ready to go back.

         Back. OK. Right. Gus remembered something about daisies. He picked out a bush and struck out. He could not see the house; the bushes were too thick and high for his little 5-year-old self.

         But before he could get to the daisy clump, he reached a fork in the path that he didn't remember. He chose the right fork, the one that went toward the daisies.

         But almost immediately the path curved around and away from the daisies and went deeper into the garden. There was another fork, then another and then all of a sudden he was almost at the orchards instead of the house.

         Oh dear! He was definitely lost.  What did that new and rather scary man tell him to do? What were the words?

         Oh yes. "I am lost. I need some help!" called Gus.

         Almost immediately, three robins flew down and tweeting a greeting and flew around his head. Two flew off again but the third alighted on a bush a chirped twice. Gus followed it. The bird flew down the path and alighted on the next bush. He chirped again. Gus followed it.

         On and on, the robin led him, finding many paths that missed Gus' eye. And finally, they were there. The path opened up into the yard and there was Papa and the new man. The robin alighted on a bush near Gus and chirped a farewell. Then it flew away.

         "Papa! Papa! I'm back! I got losted but guess what? A little robin DID help me!"

         "That's wonderful sweetie! I'm glad you're back!" Justin gathered him up in a big hug.

         "I see you filled the basket, Gus," the new man said, "Did you remember to save room for dinner?"

         Uh oh!  He sounded mad. Gus started getting nervous. "Well, maybe...well, kinda...not really," Gus admitted. His nervousness increased. Suddenly he didn't feel so well. He struggled to get down. Oh, his tummy definitely felt funny now, like when Daddy took him up in his elelator except way worse than that. He struggled harder. Justin let him down and Gus ran over to the porch railing. He leaned over the side and BLLOOORRT! He puked up a mess over the side.

         After Justin had cleaned him up and he had a glass of water, he said brightly, "I think I have room for dinner now!"

***    ****      ***

         Dinner itself was a rather subdued affair. Gus was too shy, and Justin was too wary for either of them to be truly comfortable.

         Nevertheless, Ian did his best to be a perfect host. He was stingy with nothing. Dinner was vegetarian fare, of course, soup rice and fresh vegetables, beans and lentils, with cheese and homemade bread.  They all enjoyed themselves as best they could but Bri's shadow lingered like a third guest.

         Ian had picked a vase full of roses to brighten the table but it only served to dim Justin's mood.

         "Oh, my! They're beautiful! I was going to surprise Bri with a dozen roses for Christmas! He would say they were sappy and ridiculously romantic and lesbionic but he'd keep them around. I know he'd like them anyway," said Justin.

         "Really! How sweet!" said Ian. It was too late to take them away right away but as soon as dinner was over, he dumped them in the composter and standing on the porch he made a quick magical gesture and all the roses sunk beneath the Earth so that they would be out of sight and out of mind. He was growing attached to both Gus and Justin and he was starting to want them to stay with him. And the first way to make that happen was to remove all remembrance of Brian and make them forget him.

         Dear Reader, you mustn't think that Ian did this out of an evil heart. The truth was he was young and despite saying he was all right with spending much of that young life alone and as a recluse he was actually desperately lonely and after meeting Justin and Gus, he wanted them to stay. A great longing for a husband and child had sprung up in his heart. Justin's accepting nature had only strengthened Ian's longing. And so he had decided to fight.

         After dinner, and when the summer sun had gone down, the three of them settled down in the living room and Ian set a small fire in the fireplace. Then he opened a case and brought out...you guessed it...a violin.

         Justin stiffened visibly at the sight of the instrument. "Ian! No! Uh...where did you get that?"

         "I have played it since my infancy. It has been an heirloom for 50 generations. Is there something wrong?"

         "No, I suppose not. It's just...It's just, I don't listen to violin music anymore. There was an incident in my past."

         "Justin, Justin, it's just an instrument. This has nothing to do with what happened before. I thought I'd play your boy some Christmas carols. It is near Christmas, you said. Maybe soothe him to sleep." Ian spoke in a soothing voice.

         Justin felt oddly calmed. "No, you're right. I'm sorry Ian. I shouldn't blame you for another's mistakes. Still...maybe a few carols and then we'll hit the hay. How does that sound buddy?"

         "Yaaayyy! Do Jingle Bells!" "Gus yelled.

         And so, Ethan did a rousing rendition of Jingle Bells. Then Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Then Frosty the Snowman. Imperceptibly he drew a few of those notes out slowing the carol down a little bit.

         Justin tried to overlook the screeching notes and see the beauty beyond. Ethan had ruined this instrument for him forever, but this...this was tolerable. And Gus seemed to like it.

         Oh Christmas Tree. A little more drawn out. A little slower. Away in a Manger. Slower and softer. Ian began his own music, blending and weaving his own style around the carols, making them even more elaborate.

         In the middle of a song, he quickly scooped up a pinch of powder from a small box on the mantelpiece and threw it into the fire. There was a WHHOOMMP!!! and the flames flared and turned a bright pink before settling back to normal. The room was filled with a woodsy, heavy smell, pine, cinnamon, chocolate, peppermint, gingerbread, eggnog and pumpkin pie all rolled up together. It smelled like pure Christmas. It was wonderful but it made it hard to think. Ian kept playing, playing.

         Gus stared into the fire. He listened to Ian playing and smelled the Christmas smell and suddenly three birds made out of fire detached themselves from the flames and flew around him. They trailed smoke from their fiery tailfeathers and it smelled wonderful. Why! They were the little birds from earlier only these ones could talk! They alighted on his shoulders and they weren't hot at all. They did acrobatics for him and whispered sweet nothings in his ear that only a special little boy like him could hear.

         Justin stared into the fire and suddenly the flames reformed into Bri's face. Justin smiled. God, he loved him so much.

         Ian began O Holy Night.  I was full of long drawn out notes and was slow and heavy with Ian's own, special, strange music. Slowly, slowly, Ian switched over to his own music. He danced around, serenading Justin and Gus. But Gus and Justin didn't notice. They stared happily and glassily into the fire. Ian played and played, his strange notes twisting around themselves, sounding soothing and medieval.

         "Are you comfortable, Gus and Justin?" Ian asked as he played.

         "Yes," they answered together.

         "Are you happy, Gus and Justin?"

         "Yes," they answered again together.

         "Did you like my garden, Gus?"

         "Oh yes! I loved the birdies!"

         "Would you like to stay with me, play with the birds some more? I know they want to play with you again."

         "I do...but..." Gus was troubled.

         Ian played on. "Have no fear, Gus. Tell me."

         "I'm shy. You're new and big and scary. I don't want you to be mad at me."

         "Why would I be angry?"

         "Because I ate too many strawberries."

         Ian chuckled. "Ahhhh! Is that why you threw up?"

         "Yes."

         "Ahh Gus, I am not angry. Not at all. You are the cutest, most delightful little boy I have ever met. I should very much like to have a little boy stay with me and plant seeds and gather eggs and play with the chickens and birds and grow flowers and be a son with me and your Papa. Would you like that?

         "Yes, I'd like that. But..."

         "But what?"

         "I was looking for something. Something important. I can't...can't quite remember..."

         "It's all right Gus. Don't worry right now. Just relax. It's ok. Everything's ok." Ian played on and on.

         "Yes. It's OK,' Gus whispered.

         "Justin, do you like my garden?"

         "Your garden is like Paradise."

         "Stay with me. With you here, it is Paradise."

         "I cannot. I live in Pittsburgh. I live with Bri."

         "Pittsburgh? And where is this Pittsburgh?"

         "I - I don't exactly know. South of here. The North Wind brought us."

         Ian played his music. "Justin, that's awfully vague. Are you sure this place even exists?"

         "I - I think so. It's winter there."

         "What is winter?" Ian asked silkily, playing, playing.

         "Well, winter is...winter. It's dark and it's cold."

         Ian laughed musically. "But it's neither dark or cold. It's summer. There is no winter."

         "There is no winter." Justin repeated woodenly.

         "There is no Pittsburgh."

         "There is no Pittsburgh."

         ‘There is only summer."

         "There is only summer," repeated Justin.

         "There has only been summer with me."

         "There has only been...Justin struggled..."There's Bri."

         Concealing his irritation, Ian asked, "And where is this Bri?"

         "With the Ice King."

         "Ian played on. "Justin, the Ice King is only a fairy tale. If Bri is with him, he too must be a fairy tale."

         "But...no...I was sure..."

         Ian played on. "The Ice King is a fairy tale."

         "The Ice King is a fairy tale."

         "There is no Ice King."

         "There is no Ice King."

         "There is no Bri."

         "There is no Bri."

         "There is no winter."

         "There is no winter."

         "There is only me and my Garden of Summer."

         "There is only you and your Garden of Summer," Justin repeated

         "There has always been only me and my garden of summer."

         "There has only been you and your Garden of Summer."

         "Gus, do you hear? There is nothing to find. There is only me. You need not be scared anymore. There is only me and my beautiful garden."

         "There is nothing to find. There is only you and your garden."

         "There always has been just me and my Garden of Summer."

         "There always has been you and the Garden of Summer," they both intoned.

         The flames flared for Justin and Bri's face was replaced with Ian's in the fire. Justin smiled. God, he loved him so much.

         Ian smiled. And played. And played.

         Slowly and skilfully, he switched back to O Holy Night. He played a slow throbbing last verse.

         "Time for bed, my beauties," he said.

         Two faces shook themselves, awoke. Two faces looked up at him and smiled. Ian smiled back at his family, his heart full at last.

****      ***     *****      ******

         A week passed. And for that week, everything was perfect. Ian was blissfully happy with new family and his new family was blissfully unaware that anything was wrong. In the day they worked the Garden and at night they enjoyed a big dinner and Ian would play for them and then Gus would be sent off to bed and Ian and Justin would talk or enjoy a midnight stroll through the fragrant gardens in the sultry night air.

         Gus was given simple jobs like gathering the eggs, berry picking, harvesting easy vegetables and fruits. The rest of the times he was allowed to run around the Garden, nap and play with the birds. The only place he was warned away from was the beehives and once he learned what was there, he wisely stayed away.

         Ian knew he had to tread carefully regarding his magic so he did not press Justin into anything overtly sexual but let him come to him. The first and second night Justin slept with Gus but on the third night he followed Ian into his room.

         "Justin, are you sure?"

         "Oh, I think Gus has been handling himself on his own. I think he could use a bit of privacy now anyway. I thought he seemed a little insecure so that's why I've been staying with him for a few days. But he seems all right now." He gave Ian a soft, lingering kiss. "In a garden where it is always been summer, how could he not be?"

         Ian smiled and drew Justin in for a deep, passionate kiss and kicked the door shut.

         And then, on the seventh day, it all ended quite unexpectedly.

         It was just after dinner and they all gathered together on the porch in the light twilight.  Gus was regaling them with a story of something that had happened with his birds in the garden that day and Ian and Justin were sitting there, listening with half and ear and kissing.

         "AND THEN - andthenandthenandthen - AND THEN...Evan told me that worms were the best thing he ever tasted.! Isn't that GROSS?!  Well!? Isn't it?...Papas!!! You're not listening to me again!"

         "Ian and Justin pulled apart. "Ian smiled adoringly and said, "Of course we're listening, my sweet Gus. It's gross to us because worms aren't people food. But to Evan and his friends worms are as tasty as...as...as pumpkin pie!"

         "OHHHHHHHH!" drawled out Gus in new understanding.

         Ian turned back to Justin and smiled. Justin smiled back. Ian gave Justin a slow deliberate wink in parental conspiracy.

         Justin's smile froze.

         Ian immediately saw that something was wrong. "Justin? Justin, what is it? What's wrong?"

         "Someone else used to wink at me like that..." Justin whispered in horror.

         "What! Oh no! Oh Justin, forget I did that! Just forget I said or did anything!" Ian grew quite incoherent in his panic.

         But far from forgetting, Justin remembered. First a little, and then all the memory blocks came crashing down, like a sandcastle being demolished by a wave.

         "Bri! Bri would wink at me like that! He would right after he said something that said I don't give a shit, but then he ‘d smile and wink at me just like that and I would know it was the opposite! Bri! Oh, God, what have I been doing here! I have to find Bri! Something was wrong! He was taken! Taken by the Ice King!"

         As soon as Justin spoke Bri's name and mentioned the Ice King, Gus too started to remember. He started to cry and yelled, "I want my Daddy! I want my Daddy!"

         And Ian could only stand and stare as his beautiful dream evaporated like a snowball under a July sun. His face was terrible mask of consternation, disappointment and heartbreak. But he knew, like that snowball, it was over.

         Deftly, Justin scooped up Gus and comforted him, "Don't cry Gus! Don't cry! We'll find your Daddy! We'll find him!" As Gus quieted a bit, Justin turned to face the warlock. "What have you done to us!? My God, how long have we been in this place!?"

         "I did nothing!" Ian denied, "Oh Justin, I only wanted you to stay! I only wanted you to be happy here...and so I...removed ...a few things from your memories. That's all. You've been here a week."

         "That's all! You made me forget my husband! Oh my God! All those things we did! You made me unfaithful to him!"

         "What did you do, Papa?" Gus asked curiously.

         "Never mind!" Justin said, a bit harsher than he meant to. "I want you to go upstairs and pack your Elmo suitcase and take only the things you can carry. We're leaving as soon as we're packed!"

         After Gus had run off, Justin faced the warlock grimly, "So what now? You going to erase my memory again?"

         "No Justin. The spell only works through stealth. It cannot be forced onto you. I suppose what now is simply that you must leave now. Although it's getting dark now. And there is no road leading away from the garden. It will be hard enough going in the day. Wouldn't you rather start in the morning?"

         "I've lost seven mornings thanks to you! We leave now!"

         "Very well." Ian followed him up to their...his room and even helped him pack before he tried again. "Justin, you mustn't feel you were unfaithful. As far as you were concerned Bri didn't exist. If he did, we never would have done anything. That's why I sent him out of your mind. So you could have a chance to be mine. And when you were my husband, you were faithful to me. I can see it within you, Justin. For a thousand lives and for a thousand more, whoever you are with, you are always faithful. It was my interference and my fault. And I'm sorry."

         "Then why? Why did you do this!? God, I still love you a little! I'm so confused!" Justin cried.

         "The feelings you have will fade in time and the memories of us will fade to those of a favorite wet dream. As for why I did it, I did it because I realized I wanted more, I needed more in my life. I will miss you when you are gone."

         "What about all that, I'm a hermit, I prefer my own company bullshit, then?"

         "It was not bullshit. It was what I was used to. What I had grown used to. Having you with me made me want more. I changed. Now I must change back. I do not know if I can do it. The Garden will be silent and empty without you."

         Justin finished stuffing things into his backpacks and made to go downstairs. He turned and saw that Ian was truly remorseful. Impulsively, he went over and hugged the warlock. "You need to find a husband of your own. Your very own Bri, who you can be faithful with for a thousand lifetimes. Someone whom you don't need to use magic on."

         "I expect you are right," Ian said, "Although, I will still miss you greatly." He squeezed tightly before releasing him. "Gus!" he called, "Kinderling! Are you ready to resume your journey?!"

***     *****    ****

         Gus soon was, and in what seemed like no time, they were downstairs and ready to go. Ian stepped onto the back porch and gestured briefly. The rosebushes that flanked the porch steps burst back up out of the ground. Ian clipped a thornless red rose and gave it to Justin.

         "Here. This is so you do not forget me and dismiss me entirely as a dream forevermore. As well, it will stay fresh and intact, no matter how it is stored. It needs no water or food for I have linked its life-force to Bri's. Wherever he is, wherever he goes, as long as he is alive, so this rose will be too. And if you plant it, it will multiply and grow into a bush of its own."

         "Thank you. I'll check it every day. And when we get home, I'll plant it on our rooftop garden and let it grow. Bri will say it's ridiculous and too much work, but I know he'll love it too." Justin put it into the backpack and zipped it up.

         "Good. I know it is a pale gesture to say how sorry I am, but believe me, I really am sorry."

         "I know Ian. I forgive you. It's OK. But we do have to go now. So how do we get out of here?"

         Ian gestured again, and all over the garden the rest of the rosebushes popped up in a fabulous display, one after another, on and on, deeper and deeper into the garden.

         "Just follow the rose petals and you will come to the gate," he said.

         He flattened his palm face up and blew lightly across it. He kept blowing and blowing without taking a breath. A warm wind kicked up and blew across the garden. Rose petals from all different bushes were blown from their flowers and landed on the path making a trail.

         "Good bye!" they called a final time and together Justin and Gus ran town the steps and down the fun, meandering paths, following the petals. As they ran, more and more petals danced and fluttered in the breeze ahead of them marking the right way to go.

         They reached the orchard. There was no path here but the petals danced and fluttered ahead of them, drawing them on and on.

         At last they reached the back fence where a short path made up of a single line of bricks led them to the back gate. Justin looked back. The house was lost to view.

         The gate was locked with a rusty bolt. Justin had a hard time of it but he jiggled it hard back and forth till it finally came free. He pushed hard and opened the gate.

         Both of them were unprepared with the blast of cold air that blew in. It was bitterly cold. The rose petals that were hit by the winter wind instantly curled, withered and died. Justin made sure Gus' muffler was well over his face and everything was secured.

         The summer of the garden was still light with deepening twilight but outside it was pitch black and dark and the snow was a few feet deep. Ian was right, there was no road, no trail. Justin was going to have to do it himself. They pushed their way out of the garden and the spring-loaded gate swung closed behind them. There was a SCREEEE! As the rusty lock magically slid back into place and Justin saw there was no handle or latch on this side of the gate. There was no return.

         "Follow me and walk right behind me!" Justin yelled to Gus over the noisy wind. Gus nodded to show he understood.

         Justin began icking the snow, breaking a trail straight away from the gate and fence. It was painfully slow going. And the wind chill was terrible. It dulled the senses and made it hard to think. Justin began to regret giving up Ian's offer to start in the morning but it was too late now.

         A half hour later and not much progress later, Justin decided this was getting them nowhere fast. Gus as well was feeling the cold and was quickly flagging. He couldn't go on much further.

         "OK, change of plans!" Justin yelled to Gus, "We're going to roll some snowballs, like we're going to build a snowman, K?"

         Gus clapped his hands. They started. With Gus' help, Justin quickly rolled four enormous snowballs and placed them in a square. Then Justin placed Gus in the center and joined the four snowballs with more snow.

         "Stay inside! It'll be cold but it'll keep you out of the wind until I can get a proper shelter up! Is that better?" Justin asked. Gus gave him a thumbs up and curled up out of the wind.

         And so, Justin began the painfully slow process of cutting snow blocks to make an igloo. But he did it. He checked on Gus constantly and made sure he was all right. He cut and cut and cut and placed a round of blocks in a circle and was starting a second round on top of the first when he heard a voice.

         "What on earth are you doing? And where have you been?" the voice said curiously.

         Justin turned and his face lit up with a sunshine smile that almost lit up the night when he saw who it was.

         "The North Wind! Thank heavens! I'm trying to make a shelter and get Gus inside. But it's terribly slow going! Will you help me? Can you help me?"

         "Of course little mortal! But where have you been? The Ice King has been waiting impatiently! He sent me out to look for you days ago but I have not been able to see you anywhere until tonight."

         "We found shelter with someone. It was...well, it's complicated but it was summer there. We got sidetracked." Justin explained.

         "Ahhh, well, that's why I couldn't see you. I can't be anywhere warm."

         "I'm sorry, did you say you could help us? I have Gus out of the wind but I'm still terribly worried!"

         "Right! I can take you a little further. Since you've had a taste of me, you should be able to last a little while longer but I still won't be able to take you all the way."

         "I remember the last trip and the cold so I can't believe I'm saying this but yes! Yes please! Please help us!"

         "HA! HA! HA! Of course little mortal! Of course!" And the North Wind was upon him. He scooped Justin up in a burly right arm and quick as thought scooped up Gus in a burly left arm and away they went.

         Again there was the biting, penetrating cold, the swirl and spiral of white and the rush of a great wind. On and on they went, faster and faster, farther and farther.

         But, of course all good things must come to an end. In what seemed like no time, Justin went completely numb. He could feel himself start to pass out. And then he was flying through the air.

         "HA! HA! HA!" came the voice that was everywhere and nowhere at all. "This is as far as you go! The Ice King awaits, little mortal! Try not to get...sidetracked again! HA! HA! HA!!!!"

         And then there were two soft WHUMP! WHUMP!'s as Gus and Justin landed in the snow.

TBC