- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

OK a short note to my fans and those destined to become my anti-fans: After reading a few of the QAF fairy tales by Tigerdust on fanfic.net, I got inspired to do one of my own. However, again, READER BEWARE! This is NOT the Disney version but a re-telling of the original Hans Christian Anderson version. It ends sadly. Also, my writing tends to be more plot driven than most I’ve read on this site so my apologies if there is not enough introspective/angst etc. I do feel it will build in intensity in further chapters. Still with me? Then, may I present:

Disclaimers: For entertainment purposes only. Not to be used for commercial gain or profit of any kind. This is meant as fanfic only. No copyright infringement is intended. No copyright infringement or insult is intended toward Hans Christian Anderson or his family. This is merely my attempt to re create a version of his superior work.

 

 

THE LITTLE MERMAN

 

Chapter 1

The Rescue

 

Copyright@ June 2010

By Bryton4ever71

 

 

Far away, somewhere on the high seas, beyond the reach of mortal men, there is another world.

No, I don't mean the surface, where the sea is grey or green or black and angry when the hurricanes and typhoons rage, or blue and glittering with a million diamonds when the sun is fierce and hot all day. That is a fickle world, ever changing, almost as fickle as the hearts of mortal men.

Somewhere where the waves of water reach the horizon at every compass point, where sharks are plentiful, and riptides lurk, the ocean dives deep, deeper, deepest.

Fathoms below, in this deepest part, in ages past, there was a vast kingdom and in the center a great golden city. In the center of the circular city was a giant golden palace. In this kingdom, lived the merfolk Perhaps they live there still. There is no way to tell.

However, what I do know is that long, long ago, in this kingdom, in this great golden city, and in the giant golden palace lived a widowed queen with her 5 sons. She was Queen Jennifer and her sons were called Ted, Emmett, Blake, Cody, and Justin.

Each of her sons had their own qualities and gifts. Ted could sing opera and entertained the court daily with beautiful arias. Emmett had a swishy tail. Well, they were all swishy but Emmett was definitely the swishiest. Blake had the whitest, most beautiful teeth in the kingdom. It gave him the smile of an angel. Cody had long, thick hair that reached down to his butt.

But Justin....Justin was Queen Jennifer's definite favorite. She knew she shouldn't play favorites but she couldn't help it. You see, Justin was the youngest and he had the gift...of sunshine.

Justin was the kindest, most compassionate, sensitive, and charitable prince that the merfolk kingdom had ever known. He was artistically gifted and had bright short blond hair that could shine with an ethereal light. Everybody loved him and he loved everyone back. Justin had bright blue eyes and a slim but defined frame with nice pecs and a flat tummy. From the waist down he had a beautiful, long, shiny, green tail with wide, well formed fins.

The day came when Justin turned 18 years old. He was given a lavish birthday party and he invited everyone in the city. Eventually, there was no room in the palace but they made sure there was plentiful food and music to keep the overspill entertained and every so often Justin decreed that handfuls of money were to be showered about where the poorer subjects were celebrating.

Meanwhile, in the throne room, a brand new golden throne had been set up for the newest of age prince. He sat happily, knowing he could now sit in court from now on and be part of decision making judgments from now on. Each of his brothers gave him a special gift according to his talents. Ted sang an aria that brought tears to Justin's eyes. Emmett did a series of the swishiest underwater acrobatics that he had ever done to date. Cody and Blake worked on their gift together. Blake had used his angelic grin to seduce the oysters into giving up their most beautiful pearls and Cody had worked a chain of gold with links so tiny and delicate that it was a shining string. They had strung the pearls on it spacing them about 2" apart. One pearl was twice as large as the rest. As Cody reverently placed the circlet over Justin's head it fit him like a crown and the large pearl sat regally in the very center of his forehead. Cody kissed him on both cheeks. "Happy Birthday Justin."

Everyone cheered.

Now it was Justin's turn. Taking center stage, he turned on his shine to top power and began to sing. He was alto, it was wordless and haunting. It was a song of thanks, of acceptance, of love.

At last it was done. Slowly, Justin lowered himself down to the seat next to his mother. They hugged fiercely.

"Now my son, it is done. You are of age and a man. The diadem Blake and Cody have made for you is a symbol of your station. You may go anywhere in the kingdom and even to the surface, which as you know, you have not been allowed to do before."

"That's true. I've been waiting for a long time. Why have I been forbidden?"

"My son, the surface world is vast and dangerous. You needed to have the age and maturity to handle the responsibility. Besides that, you must avoid the hooks of the mortal men who live above the surface of the water."

"Hooks?"

"Mortal men throw curved metal attached to strings into the water in the hopes of catching fish and aquatic life. They will kill you if they can."

"That's terrible! How do they live above the water? Do they float there above the waves?"

His mother and brothers laughed.

"No, silly," Blake said affectionately, "They build great houses and ride on the top of the water. They're called ships. Haven't you seen the sunken ones on the seabed?

"Yes. But I didn't really understand how they got there. I still don't. Why are they there if they are supposed to float?"

"Sometimes there are accidents," explained Cody, "If the ship is smashed and fills with water, they will sink."

"There are also places where there is no water," added Ted, "It's called "dry land". Mortal men also live there."

Dry land?? No water?? No water at all? Justin couldn't fathom such a thing.

Seeing his confusion, Emmett swished over to him and spiraled around him, giving him a tight, brotherly hug. "Oh sweety, this is why you needed to wait. There are so many things you don't understand. So many things you don't know and weren't ready to learn."

"Well, I'm ready now," Justin declared. "When can I go?"

"You can leave at dawn tomorrow," replied his mother, "You will have one day and night before you must return to us. Explore and learn what you must but be sure to be back in the water on your way home by dawn of the next day. Above all, my son avoid the hooks of men."

"I understand. I will. Thank you mother." said Justin.

And so, the next day as dawn broke, the little merman swam up and away from the golden city for the first time in his life. As he swam up and onward with his powerful tail, the brighter and brighter it became. Almost frighteningly bright. But the little merman was more curious than frightened so he continued on. And finally his head broke the surface.

It was dazzling bright. Brighter than anything Justin had ever seen. Under the sea the daylight was always varying shades of blue and green and sometimes downright dark, but here, there was none of that here. The sun was a yellow disk too bright to look at. Above the sea, was a blue bowl covering it, so beautiful that Justin wanted to touch it but he knew he couldn't. He knew that this was the "sky" as Ted had told him.

Justin spent the day exploring the surface seas. He swam with a pod of dolphins. He saw seals. He explored a coral reef he'd never seen before. And he swam farther and farther from home. He didn't mean to. It was just he wanted to see everything he possibly could before he had to go home again.

The sun was setting nicely, turning the sky all sorts of pinks and reds and oranges, colors Justin had never really seen before. He was making up his mind to paint something that the merfolk would not believe when he saw something coming toward him on the water. It was brown and huge and there were large white squares decorating it and in the distance he could hear a roar of voices coming from it.

That must be a ship! thought Justin, There must be mortal men there! How exciting!

Jumping in huge arcs, he came toward the ship very quickly. Then he moved just under the surface and used his powerful tail to shoot through the water like a torpedo.

In no time, Justin reached the side of the ship. It was huge and towered over him. Across the back of the ship in huge golden letters was the name of the ship BABYLON. High above him Justin could hear a dull roaring beat. He had to hear more.

Justin swam around until he saw slats of wood built into the side of the ship like a ladder, built in there for construction purposes. He pulled himself up with his arms realizing for the first time what a handicap his tail was out of the water. But he persevered until he reached the top and found a decorative perch next to a window in the deck railing. It really was one of those drain openings but Justin didn't know that. All he knew, this was the perfect place to sit and watch without being seen. He peered through the opening and his eyes widened at what they saw.

The roaring beat was much clearer now. It was a dull thumpa thumpa thumpa beat mixed it with deep, wild music. It was primal. Justin could feel the thumpa thumpa deep in his stomach and it filled him with a wild excitement. This was so different than Ted's operas.

On the deck were dozens of men, all of them huge and muscular from hard physical labor. Many of them were in uniform, black leather boots, white pants, blue striped shirts, with blue ascots. Many of them had their shirts half unbuttoned or taken off altogether and tucked into the back of their pants. All of them were dancing wildly, single, with a partner, in groups. Their hips gyrated, turned and twisted, their huge, full pecs and large arms glistening with sweat. All over the deck they danced, and in the center of them all was the most beautiful mortal man Justin had ever seen.

Smaller than the other sailors but perfectly proportioned, hard and muscular, the man had strong legs, full pecs and a flat tummy. He had dark, short hair, and green eyes and a beautiful nose. His cheeks were a little hollow but he had a strong chin. He had a half sneer on his lips that was sexy as hell. I want you...but I don't need you. they said. He was wearing white pants but different than the uniformed ones, a light white shirt and a plaid shirt that had its sleeves ripped off making a jagged vest. He was dancing harder and faster than all the rest and it seemed as if all the sailors were vying for his attention but receiving none. Faster and faster, he vested man danced, almost manic in his actions. Justin was mesmerized.

At last, the time came where the man could dance no more. After nearly collapsing right there on the dance floor, he was automatically caught by the nearest two sailors who bore him up and carried him over to the railing, right over Justin's perch. They hung him over the side where he hung on heaving in great lungfuls of fresh air. The two attendants respectfully retreated and went back to dancing.

Justin pressed himself against the side of the ship. If the man looked over and down a little, he'd surely be caught. The fear that thrummed through him as the thumpa thumpa beat went on was exhilarating. But the man was more interested in looking out to sea angrily than he was in looking down. Eventually an older man in the full uniform came over and handed the man a glass of wine.

"Had enough?" the elder man asked.

"Fuck, no," the demigod said, "Just taking a breather."

"Prince Brian....You must stop this. Just because you turned 30 years old, it's no reason to..."

"It's the perfect reason to. I'm still young. I'm still beautiful. I'm not ready to get married. And I don't want to marry that bitch princess you got lined up."

"But..."
"Don't you get it!" Brian exploded. He gestured toward the crowd. "I don't want to get married to any princess. I'm queer..."

A strange, wild joy rose in Justin's breast that he'd never felt before.

"...and queers don't get married. They don't fall in love. They fuck." He swigged the wine down. "Look, Uncle Vic..."

"No, YOU LOOK! Thirty is still beautiful and young. You have a lot of time yet. Look at me. I'm quite a few thumpa thumpa beats older that 30 and..."

"That's for sure," Brian muttered.

"...and I'm still here. OK, so you prefer men...Fine. My point is, wouldn't you rather attract one now when you still can, then continue this....this behavior...and wait till you're my age...and still be alone?"

With that Vic left and Brian continued to look over the dark sea in anger. He carefully considered Vic's words...

For about two minutes! Then he thumpa thumpa thumped his way back to the dance floor where Justin watched him whisper into some shirtless sailor's ear. Then they both wandered over to a door and disappeared through it.

Justin wondered where Brian was going. Wherever it was, Justin was the one who wanted to be led about by the nose by the handsome rogue prince.

About ten minutes later, Brian re-appeared and went back to dancing. Then he whispered to another man. Then another. Justin longed to hear what he was saying. Each time Brian whispered, the man walked away from whatever he was doing and followed him blindly.

But Justin knew he couldn't follow him blindly or anyway else. He was a merman. He couldn't even show himself, or talk to Brian or offer any comfort whatsoever. But as he watched Brian come out onto the dance floor a third time, Justin vowed he would. Justin lifted himself over the railing.

Their eyes met.

Lightning flashed flowed by a low growl of thunder.

"Hurricane a comin!!"

The music was quenched and everyone including Brian ran for battle stations. The wind picked up and suddenly the air was full of water. They pricked and stabbed him like bullets. The ship lurched violently and Justin was thrown overboard. He hit the water and swam eagerly downward. Then he turned and watched the giant shape of the troubled ship turn in the water above him.

Justin swam quickly a safe distance and surfaced just as another crack of lightning smashed down and hit the mast. The mast caught fire and spread downward quickly as the sails caught. The sailors panicked and began to evacuate.

Justin had to keep his distance so he didn't really see what happened next but in the end the lifeboats were lowered and the sailors were being saved. In spite of his talk, Brian was masterful, in charge, and he refused to evacuate until everyone else was safe.

However this turned out to not work out in his favor when the ship exploded.

KABOOOOMMMM!!!!!

One second, lifeboats were being lowered and the next a blast and a gulf of fire ripped the ship in two. The force of the explosion catapulted Brian up and over the side. Everyone who was not so near the sides of the ship were not so lucky. They either fell into the sea and were pulled under by the ship or consumed by the fire.

Justin was terrified. He watched Brian's form as it fell into the sea. He could see Brian try to grab a plank of wood but it was too slippery. He tried to yell for help but a wave sloshed water into his mouth. He made a desperate grab for another piece of debris but it was no use. He slipped below the waves.

Justin dived. He searched desperately in the dark and finally saw the prince slowly sinking a short distance away. The blond merman easily intercepted him and grabbed his body. He pulled him up and broke the surface and began swimming away from the wreck as explosion after explosion tore Babylon to bits.

BJMBJMBJMBJHMBJM

Hours later, Justin finally came in sight of a turreted castle and a stretch of beach of what could only be "dry land". After what seemed like ages of swimming in the opposite direction of where Babylon had been sailing, he had come across a friendly dolphin who had given him directions. Wearily, Justin held his precious cargo above the waves and swam slowly on. He rested then put on a burst of speed and finally carried his prince to safety. He dragged him up onto the sand and examined him more closely.

It was not good. The prince had a blue tinge to him and Justin could not tell if he was breathing.

"Come on...don't give up on me now," muttered Justin.

He placed his palms on Brian's chest and concentrated with all his might. His hair fluttered and glowed the brightest he could make it. His head glowed like a candle as Justin poured every bit of his sunshine as he possibly could into the prince. He pushed down on his chest and squeezed the water from his lungs. Brian gagged and spat out a gush of water. The blue tinge started to fade and he began to breathe shallowly.

Still glowing, Justin looked down at his prince with thankfulness and love. He had done it! He had saved him!

God, he was so beautiful! All that arrogance, all that worry, was all swept away as he slept showing only his sculpted features in perfect peace. Justin leaned over and kissed him gently on his soft lips and breathed into him a gift of his warmth, his sunshine.

And instinctively, as if in a dream, Brian responded. He kissed back, opening his eyes slightly, seeing only a cherubic young man lit up, as if with a halo of light. Who wouldn't kiss an angel?

For several seconds, the two men remained fused, lip locked, tongues dueling. And in those few seconds, Justin lost his heart completely to the vain prince. Then, Brian fell back, passed out cold.

At that moment the sun cracked over the edge of the world. It was dawn.

Justin let his sunshine dim to make way for the real thing. He checked to make sure the prince was still breathing. He looked back at the rising sun, now a quarter of the way up. He looked back at the prince. He was loath to leave him. He smoothed back his sea soaked hair, finger combing it into neatness.

The sun was half up. He had to go. He was already going to be late.

Brian's chest rose and fell deeply now. His color was better and he seemed all right. His shirt was gone and his pants were ripped and jagged at the calves. He was the most gorgeous thing Justin had ever seen.

"Good-bye my prince. I love you. I don't know when.... I don't know how but I'll make my way back to you."

Justin dragged himself over to sea by his elbows. Then he pushed himself into the water and swam out to sea.

BJMBJMBJMBJHMBJMBJM

A few hours later, a dark haired man with a sweet face and a spade and bucket to dig oysters wandered along the beach and found the unconscious prince.

"Oh, my God!" The spade and bucket were cast aside as the man sprinted toward the prone figure. "Your Majesty! Prince Brian! Prince Brian!"

The dark haired man bent over the prince, checked for a pulse and breathing and found both. He lightly slapped Brian's cheeks to rouse him.

"Prince Brian! Prince Brian! Wake up! Please wake up!"

Brian's eyes fluttered and he came to. He focused on the handsome face above him. "What happened?"

"I don't know. What's the last thing you remember?"

"I was on my ship Babylon. There was a storm. There was an explosion. Then nothing."

"My goodness! A shipwreck! And you've washed up from it and survived! You're lucky to be alive!"

"Yes. I guess I am." Brian seemed to be thinking.

"Come on. We should get you home."

"I guess so." Brian reached up and ran a hand through the man's short, straight hair. He felt the man shudder in pleasure.

"Come on now," the man said again, as he grabbed Brian's hand and pulled him up. Brian hated being weak but he couldn't fight the dizziness that threatened to make him collapse back onto the sand. He leaned against the smaller man and grabbed his shoulder.

"Don't worry, your highness. I'll help you. I'll take care of you." He grabbed Brian's waist and supported him. Together, they began making their way back toward the castle.

"Thank you so much for helping me. What's your name?"

 

The man smiled his sweet smile. "I'm Michael," he answered.

TBC