- Text Size +

Chapter 4

 

The First day

 

Part 2

 

 

 

When Brian went back downstairs, he found Michael in the dining room, needlessly bossing the servants around and generally being underfoot with a pinched, pissed off look on his face.

 

His face a thundercloud, Brian strode over and grabbed Michael by the collar and dragged him out of the dining room, down the hall, and through the nearest door.

 

"Brian, what the HELL is wrong with you?" Michael mewled.

 

Brian said nothing. He dragged Michael through the door and into the book lined study it contained. He slammed the door with his heel and threw Michael into a leather armchair.

 

"No, Michael, what the HELL is wrong with YOU!?" Brian yelled.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"You know very well what I'm talking about! How could you be so insensitive, so RUDE to a new guest, especially one who is disabled?"

 

There really was no excuse so Michael just shrugged.

 

"Is that all you have to say for yourself?!"

 

"Geez, Brian, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry."

 

"Don't tell me that. Tell him," Brian said, coldly.

 

"What!?" Michael screeched.

 

"You will apologize to him. At dinner."

 

Michael was so outraged at this he could not even get out another screech. He folded his arms and sulked like a punished child.

 

"Also, there are some things you should be aware of. He is intelligent. He can communicate and has done so already using basic sign language. And...he's developed some sort of instant attraction to me."

 

"What! No FUCKIN' way, Brian! There is no WAY I'm going to put up with..." Michael descended into a jealous hissy fit tantrum.

 

Brian expected this and allowed it. He sat down in another leather armchair and settled in to watch the show. Absently, he examined his manicure. He made a mental note to make an appointment for a touch up. Eventually, Michael wound down like a tired clock.

 

"Are you done yet? Good. Then, if I might continue... Yes, he's attracted to me. I'm chalking it up to rescuer's gratitude or something. Kinda like how you and I met, isn't it?"

 

Michael had nothing to say to that.

 

"So, are you attracted to him too?"

 

Brian thought back to the mind-blowing kiss on the beach.

 

"A little. But it's nothing I can't handle. But he's younger and less.... experienced than us. His feelings are stronger, more powerful. Mine are more protective, almost parental. And I admire him."

 

"But you're not his parent, Brian! You're not his father!"

 

"Maybe I could be..." Brian whispered.

 

"What was that?"

 

"Look, Mikey, he's alone in the world. He was in a shipwreck. From what he's told me, I'm pretty sure his whole family was lost. I could make him my royal ward. Our ward," he amended, grasping Michael's hand.

 

Michael pulled his hand away. "I don't like it. And what do you mean he told you?"

 

"I told you. When I found him, he signed out that he had been in a wreck. He's a smart little guy."

 

"Oh, my God! You do! You actually like the little freak!"

 

"Michael! That is exactly the type of attitude I don't want to hear! You are NEVER to call him those types of names or use them in my presence. Understand?"

 

"Yes, Brian," said Michael, sulkily.

 

"As for adopting him, we'll table that for now. He's needs recovery time and we both need to think about it and talk about it some more. In the meantime, he is our GUEST and you will treat him as such!"

 

"All right, Brian," Michael could see he was not going to get any further in this argument. For now.

 

"All right, I think we should both get on with our day. I have a million things to do and I still need to assign a valet to the sea...to him."

 

"Why don't you let me do that, Brian? You're busy enough," Michael offered.

 

Brian shot him a look.

 

"Just call it my way of making up...for all that stuff I did. Besides, I know the perfect man for the job."

 

"All right. I guess that would be all right. I've got to go." Brian strode to the door. "You're still apologizing though."

 

"Of course, Brian."

 

Brian looked back thoughtfully. "You know you have nothing to worry about, right? YOU'RE my partner. I love YOU! OK?"

 

"Of course, Brian. I love you too."

 

Brian looked back a moment longer. He thought about saying something, then thought better of it, and let himself out.

 

Michael waited until he heard the door click shut. Then he got up and carefully walked over to the window. For a long time he looked out at the sea and the beach.

 

Then, slowly, he reached behind him and picked up a paperweight. Testing its weight, he let forth a long, wild, feral cry and threw the paperweight through the window. The paperweight made a loud, satisfying smashing sound as it broke the glass and fell, down, down, down.

 

In the dim reflection of the window, Michael watched his face relax and show his true emotions. His face grew blotchy red and then purple and he scowled deeply. His features formed a mask of intense jealous rage and murderous hate.

 

BJMBJMBJMBJMBJMBJ

 

Justin slept peacefully until midday. He awoke slowly, in stages. He lay in the semi-darkness of the curtained room, against the sensual silk sheets and stretched languidly. He remembered where he was and what had happened to him and smiled happily. His mind was at peace at last and he could feel that his bone weariness from his days and days of sleepless nights was gone.

 

He got out of bed and walked over nude to the window. He pulled back the drapes and let the sun wash over him and light up the room. He went into the bathroom and drew a bath. When it was full, he stepped in and lay in the warm water. He washed the stickiness of sleep from his body and washed his hair. Then he just sat for a while luxuriating as the water cooled. He loved how it felt, almost as if he were a merman again.

 

He wondered idly how he was going to communicate better with Brian. And it was clear that Michael didn't like him. He rather expected that but he wondered what to do about it. He wondered if there was anything he could do about it.

 

After his bath, he got out, drained the bathtub, and dried off. He went to the wardrobe and looked at what he had there. Suits, all kinds, formal, dressy, and casual. Sweaters, a few hats, strips of silk that he couldn't figure out. Shoes and socks. He looked over everything and quickly lost interest. He knew that the humans loved to, even needed to cover their bodies with these clothes but as a merman, Justin had never worn them. He loved the free feeling of being naked and the air caressing his skin. Why would anybody want to cover that up?

 

He wandered over to the desk and looked at the paper and pens and pencils. He sat down and looked out the window and began to draw idly. He drew a sunny sky with a horizon and the sea below. The waves were gentle and there were a few abstract birds here and there.

 

Justin drew for a few hours. When he saw that the sun was low in the sky, he thought he'd better bite the bullet. He went over to the bed and pulled the bell pull and waited for something to happen.

 

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door.

 

Justin got up and answered it. At the door stood a young man in a tuxedoed type uniform. He was rather surprised to see a nude man answer the door but he recovered quickly.

 

"Good afternoon sir. I have been waiting for you to ring. I've been instructed to help you dress for dinner. I'm to be your valet. My name is Hobbs."

 

Justin nodded slightly and moved back to let Hobbs enter.

 

Hobbs was a young man, only about 18 or 19 years old. He was a little taller than Justin with an athletic build, a wide, deep chest, thick arms, powerful legs and thin hips. He had sandy hair and was handsome enough but there was a kind of hardness in his eyes that made Justin uneasy. He backed away carefully, keeping his distance. He suddenly didn't feel quite so good about being nude.

 

To fill the void, Hobbs kept up a steady stream of conversation. "Now, sir, I've been apprised of your being mute, so don't worry about that. The Majesties assigned me to you because they thought that the similarities in our ages might make you more comfortable. Also, I'm strong, so if walking becomes too much for you, I can carry you." To demonstrate, he flexed his powerful biceps.

 

Bashfully, and a little alarmed, Justin shook his head and backed up even further. He stepped deliberately, one, two. He ignored the biting pain.

 

"Very good, sir. I understand. You prefer to walk. Well, anything else you'd like, I am at your service. Ring anytime you like for whatever reason."

 

Justin nodded and bowed slightly. I understand. Thank-you.

 

"Did you just wake up?"

 

Justin shook his head. He pointed at the bath, then toward the desk at his sketch. He pointed at the sun and traced its path upward in the sky to about two hours ago.

 

"I understand, sir. So, you're washed. Very good." He looked at the sketch. "VERY good, sir. Would you like it framed to present to Prince Brian?"

 

Distraught, Justin shook his head and turned over the sketch. He mimed closing his mouth, locking it, throwing away the key.

 

"Very good, sir. Mum's the word, sir."

 

"Well then, let's get you dressed, shall we? Oh, and just to let you know, it's not exactly customary to answer the door completely nude. Oh no, sir, don't worry about me, but if the Majesties or anyone else comes to your door and you're not...uh, dressed properly, just put on this robe. I'll make sure there's a clean one hanging on the inside of your bathroom door at all times."

 

He showed him and Justin nodded his thanks and understanding.

 

"All right, then!" Hobbs clapped and rubbed his meaty hands together. The noise was like a shot in the dark.

 

Justin flinched.

 

Hobbs didn't or pretended not to notice.

 

"What shall we dress you in? Something classy. Not too formal. But handsome, to make your debut in. This...this...this...nice shoes...here we go..."

 

Hobbs began tossing clothes out of the wardrobe onto the bed. He was so engrossed in his work that at first he didn't notice the activity behind him. Eventually, he became aware of a scuffling noise on the bed. He turned around.

 

Justin had managed to get his shirt on, although it was unbuttoned. But the real problem was that he had put his arms through the trousers legs and now his head and arms were thoroughly trapped. He was rolling around on the bed in a panic. Hobbs hurried to help.

 

"No, sir, the trousers go on your legs," he pulled them off and was further amused to see that Justin had put on a pair of tighty whiteys over his head like a hat. "As do your underwear. Haven't you worn pants before? Well, never mind, just let me take care of everything. Put your underwear on like this...bend your knee. That's the way...now your pants...put your leg through here...that's the way...that's the way..."

 

BJMBJMBJMBJMBJMBJ

 

An hour later, at exactly 6 o'clock, Justin was ready and approaching the top of the stairs He was nervous and butterflies were in his tummy. He felt in his pocket where a small pad of paper and pencil lay within. He had picked them up on impulse on his way out and they proved to be a source of comfort to him.

 

Despite his determination to walk, the cutting pain became such a problem that he decided to compromise and held onto Hobbs' big bicep for support. At the top of the stairs, though, he gave Hobbs' arm a gentle squeeze and a pat. I'll take it from here.

 

"Very good sir. Your sheets will be changed and a fire burning when you get back. Good night."

 

Hobbs turned to go. Justin took a deep breath and looked down the stairs. When he turned back a few seconds later, Hobbs had disappeared completely.

 

On legs, shaky from pain and nerves, Justin started down. At the bottom, he could see Brian talking to a courtier. Justin stopped a moment, waiting for the butterflies of nerves and pleasure of seeing Brian again to subside. This was his first appearance as a normal human being and not as some naked invalid. He wanted to make a good impression.

 

He continued down the stairs.

 

Brian finished his conversation with the courtier. The courtier left and Brian glanced towards the stairs idly. Then he did a sharp double take and his breath caught in his throat. His gaze roamed over Justin, searingly hot. Justin was gorgeous.

 

He wore black slacks that hugged his bubble butt. He had a white, cotton shirt buttoned up the front and a dressy but not too formal, black blazer. He wore black leather dress shoes, and a leather bolo tie with a silver cow skull on the end of it that went with his silver conch shell necklace nicely. His golden crown gleamed in the light like a halo and the large pearl was in the precise center of his forehead. His blond hair had been combed into a handsome part to the right.

 

Justin became aware of Brian's attention and tightened his shoulders and smiled shyly. Here I am, he seemed to say.

 

Brian was also dressed classy in black with a white shirt. His crown and red ruby were also perfectly placed. He gave a wide smile and held out his hand.

 

Justin made his way down the rest of the staircase and grasped Brian's hand. Brian pulled him to him and kissed him on the cheek.

 

"You look so handsome, Sunshine," he said.

 

NOW Justin's face cracked open into his wide, signature smile.

 

Brian's gaze grew hotter.

 

"Aw, hell," Brian looked around and ducked in for a quick peck on Justin's red, cupid bow lips that was swift but so, so hot.

 

"No," Brian whispered, "More than handsome. You look hot!"

 

Justin's sunshine smile was so bright that if it weren't for the fact he had been made mortal and his power was gone, he would have sworn his face and hair had lit up with the power of a thousand suns.

 

"Shall we go to dinner?" asked Brian, taking Justin's arm.

 

Still smiling, his eyes shining, Justin nodded.

 

And so they did.

 

But someone was watching.

 

TBC