- Text Size +

 

 

Brian groaned and groped for the phone. He had to move, which cause Justin to move off him.

Without looking at the caller I.D. he answered, "What?"

"Brian, you need to get to the hospital as soon as you can," Mel's panicked voice said.

Fully awake now. "What the hell is going on, Mel?" he almost screamed into the phone.

"That psycho attacked Lindsay when she told him she wanted a divorce. We're at Allegheny General. She is in surgery now, it's bad."

Fear filled Brian at the thought of Lindsay being attacked. Lindsay was the gentlest person he had ever met. Yes, she made mistakes, she was human after all. But it now looked like one of her biggest mistakes had almost killed her.

"Where's Gus?" he asked as he jumped out of bed.

"He's here with me. They are talking about having a social worker come and get him. Legally only you and Lindsay have rights to him. Get here as soon as you can."

"I'm own my way," he barked out and disconnected.

He was already halfway dressed when he saw Justin getting dressed also.

"What's going on?" Justin asked as he slid his shirt on.

"I need to get to the hospital."

Brian grabbed his keys and wallet then headed for the door. He didn't have time to argue with Justin, who was following him. If he wanted to follow along, he wouldn't stop him. He had too many other things to worry about.

Brian unlocked the jeep and they both got in. He drove like a maniac to the hospital; Justin apparently knowing what was good for him kept his mouth shut. After parking, he hurried for the emergency room. There was only Ted in the waiting room.

"Where are they?" he demanded.

Ted shot Justin a confused look before leading them threw the double doors. They were led to another waiting room. This one Mel was waiting in with Gus on her hip as she paced. Emmett was there trying to calm her down.

"Mel," Brian said.

Melanie, who Brian had never seen even cry, broke down at that moment. Emmett took Gus out of her arms as she latched on to Brian. His first instinct was to push her off, but it turned out he was feeling a little lost at that moment too.

Justin watched the scene in front of him. He had no idea what was going on. He could piece somethings together. Something had happened to either a friend or a family member of Brian's. The short brunet woman had seen Brian and practically ran for him. There were two other people obviously with the group, not including the baby. One was a tall dirty blonde man with colorful clothes. The other guy reminded him of his old economics teacher.

Before Brian and the woman broke apart two other men entered the small waiting room. Justin had noticed on his way in, it was just for people waiting to hear about people in surgery.

The two new men were very different. One was tall and built with short hair. The other one was just a hair taller than himself, he had short dark hair and dark eyes.

"Brian, what's going on?" the smaller guy asked.

Justin recognized him as one of the guys at Babylon that Brian was friends with. He vaguely remembered seeing the other three, but only because they were with Brian.

Brian pulled himself away from the woman and turned towards the new people.

"I just got here," he said before walking over to the tall guy with the baby. Brian took the baby out of the man's arms. "Sonny Boy, don't you worry you mom is going to be just fine."

Justin watched in awe as the indestructible Brian Kinney cried while clutching a baby to him.

"Brian, let me hold Gus," the tall, dirty blonde said.

Justin remembered the night he met Brian that he talked about someone named Gus. To learn Gus was a baby was a little shocking. He wondered what relationship Brian had with the baby.

"He's my son, I'm not handing him over," Brian snapped.

Now that he knew, he could see the resemblance in father and son.

"Maybe it would be better for Emmett to hold Gus."

"Michael, just fucking drop it okay."

Brian sat down in one of the chairs, Justin quietly sat beside him.

"What the fuck is a go-go boy doing here?" the man, Michael, yelled.

"Shut up. He came with me, so just fucking be quiet for a while," Brian said rubbing the baby's back.

Justin didn't know what to do to help, so he was there for Brian. They weren't friends, in truth they were just barely better than strangers that had sex more than once. He wasn't a part of Brian's life. Hell, his dad would kill him if he knew he had been with someone like Brian. Brian was everything he had warned him about when Justin told him he was gay.

The woman sat on the other side of Brian and kept kissing the baby's hand.

Justin didn't miss the glare the one man kept sending him. Everyone else seemed to be lost in their own little world.

After a few more minutes, Brian calmed down enough that Justin felt okay to go to the restroom. He quickly did his business; while he washed his hands he heard the door open. He looked in the mirror to see Michael standing behind him.

"You can go back to where you came from now."

"I want to stay here for Brian."

"Brian doesn't need some one night stand to follow him around," Michael sneered.

"We've been together more than once. He helped me out a time or two, I just wanted to be there for him. This really is none of your business."

"Everything that involves Brian concerns me. I'm his best friend, I look out for him. And on the not so rare occasion when a trick thinks he's more than he is, I kick him to the curb." With that Michael turned and stomped out of the restroom.

Justin considered going back in the waiting room for Brian. But then he remembered that Michael was right. He was nothing to Brian, Brian needed his friends with him. He didn't know Brian's relationship with whoever was in surgery. Not wanting to be the reason for any bad feelings he decided to go back in and just say goodbye to Brian.

The waiting room that had been almost empty when he arrived, it was now fuller. There were two uniformed cops, he also saw Detective Marquez. Detective Marquez had been his father's partner for a few years.

"We have him in custody, sir," Detective Marquez said to an agitated Brian.

Not knowing what to do, he walked up behind Brian, placing his hand on Brian's shoulder. The touch made Brian flinch and looked at him. That was when Marquez saw him. Any plans to keep that his father was a police detective quiet was quickly bashed.

"Justin what the hell are you doing here?" Marquez asked.

Brian looked between Justin and the detective that he was arguing with. Right after Justin went to the restroom the police had come. They kept asking questions about arguments he had with Lindsay. Mel had told him to keep his mouth shut, she then told the cops she had witnessed the Frenchman attacking Lindsay.

When she had arrived at the house for a scheduled meeting about Lindsay's divorce she found the man choking Lindsay. That was after he got done beating the hell out of Lindsay. When he saw Mel, he ran out the back door.

The cops had caught the man close to the house. But now it was all about collecting evidence. Brian knew this but they were starting to piss him off, Linz was still in surgery with a collapsed lung and her spline needed to be removed. She still wasn't out of the woods because of blood loss.

When Justin came back in Brian felt glad the younger man hadn't just left. But then he heard the detective's question. He was trying to figure out in what context Justin and the cop know each other.

Before Justin could answer any questions Debbie and Carl came through the door. Debbie looked frantic and Carl had his game face on. That was until his eyes locked on Brian's little blonde friend.

"Justin?"

"Dad."

"Dad?" Brian and Mikey said simultaneously.

"Brian?" Debbie asked noticing where Justin's hand that was still resting on his shoulder.

"How's your friend?" Justin said quietly. He was trying to divert attention off of him, it worked for Brian.

"She's still in surgery," Melanie answered. She was holding a sleeping Gus now.

"I guess I should be going home. Oh," Justin said pulling keys from his pocket. "You left these in your jeep." He handed them to Brian. He must have been in too big of a hurry to notice.

"What were you doing in his jeep?" Carl asked coolly.

Justin looked like he debated something before answering. "I was with him… in bed when he got the call."

Brian could see the challenge in the boy's posture and hear it in his voice. His dad may have known he was gay before, but now was the time to see it and accept it.

Carl's angry eyes latched onto Brian. He didn't care what Debbie's man thought. He didn't ever apologize for fucking who he wanted. They both were legal and willing participants.

Something nudged at the back of his mind at that thought. He couldn't really think why though. It just seemed to him he was forgetting something, but it couldn't be that important or he would have remembered.

"Justin get your ass home, and I mean my house. I want to talk to you," Carl said, barely holding onto his temper. Debbie watched the interaction with wide eyes.

"Sorry Dad, I can't. I have to spend the rest of the day looking for a new job. I'm lucky I don't have any classes on Monday."

"What happened to the great job you told me about. You even quit working at the bowling alley to work there. Why would you quit working his new job so soon after starting it? I didn't teach you to be a quitter?"

Brian could feel the explosion coming. Ever since he had met Justin he could tell the kid repressed everything. You can only do that so much until it overflows, which was just about to happen.

"I'm so fucking sorry. I guess I'll go back to Gary and beg him to take me back. This time I won't fight back when he and his two slimy friends try to force me to have sex with them." Brian watched as Justin's whole demeanor changed. "I didn't fight back when I was twelve but I'm not twelve anymore. I won't let anyone take my choice away from me again," Justin was screaming at the end.

Justin's face went from red to white in the matter of seconds. He must have realized what he had said. Brian remembered what he had so stupidly forgot. He forgot what Molly had told him. If this was Carl's youngest son, he was the boy she had talked about. The same kid that he had sex with in Florida and kicked out so heartlessly.

Before Carl regained his speech Justin took off. Brian watched helplessly as the blonde ran off. If it wasn't for Gus and Lindsay he would have followed him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid. But he had other responsibilities at the moment.


Lindsay smiled at him when he walked into her room. She had been in the hospital for almost a week. She was getting better every day.

"So when are we springing you?" he asked her.

"The doctor says only a few more days," she said excitedly.

He grabbed a chair and pulled it closer. Ever since Lindsay was put in the hospital they had split up taking care of Gus. After work he would pick him up from Mel to give her a break. She was able to take leave because she had the time. It was crazy how well they had gotten along while Lindsay was in the hospital. He hoped that ended soon, it made him feel dirty.

"Has anyone heard from Justin yet?" she asked softly.

It was still a sore subject to him. After Lindsay was out of surgery they said she should make a full recovery. For one glorious second he was happy until Carl started in on him. He badgered him until he told the man how they met. He was as honest as Justin was. He told him he met Justin and took him back to his hotel room and fucked him the same night. Carl was less than impressed. Brian had been forbidden to have anything more do to with the blonde.

But that wouldn't be such a problem because Justin had disappeared. It was like he had fallen off the face of the Earth. There was nothing really Carl or anyone could do. Justin was an adult and had left on his own. The only one he told was his roommate. The kid said Justin packed a bag and was out the door within ten minutes. All Justin told the kid was he needed time to think.

Brian was sure the running away was because he let his secret out. The blonde had held onto it for almost seven years. Then he goes and screams it out in a full waiting room. Carl questioned Brian about what Justin was talking about. Brian didn't say anything, it wasn't his secret to share the details. Molly and Debbie both seemed to stay true to Justin and didn't say anything either.

"Don't worry, he'll come back," Linz said, her tone understanding.

"Who says I care," he retorted but it felt hollow, he knew he was full of shit. He just wanted to see the blonde with his own eyes to make sure he was okay.