- Text Size +

 


 


 


Justin was so excited he could barely sit still. He still couldn't believe his dad agreed to let him go. Molly had wanted to come too but she was still too little. He didn't want to tell his dad but he was happy about that. He liked the thought of having C.J. all to himself this week. He was excited to see his niece for the first time too. His dad had went to visit for a week when Tabby was born. But he and Molly stayed at Daphne's house that week.


C.J. had told him on the phone all about what they would be doing. He had a friend that was going to teach Justin how to surf. The thought of surfing was a little scary but also exciting. They were also going to go snorkeling and to a real luau.


Once the plane landed the flight attendant had to go with him to the designated area where he was to meet C.J. His dad had him flying as an unaccompanied minor. His dad said that way was the safest. His father thought there were bad guys around every corner. That made Justin laugh, nothing was going to happen to him except having the best week of his life. But he hated that they were treating him like a child. He could walk from the plane to meet C.J. alone. No one was going to jump out of a dark corner and attack him.


He pushed a strand of hair behind his ear. His hair was longer than it had ever been. His blonde hair reached his shoulder blades now. His dad had been after him forever to cut it. That wasn't going to happen because he liked having long hair. At the moment his hair was longer than Molly's. She had hers cut short for soccer camp. It was a day camp but she was excited about it. The one time he went to camp, he refused to go back after the first day. He would never go to a sleepaway camp, he didn't do well in strange places. The only reason he could handle this trip was because he had C.J. there for him. C.J. was the greatest big brother that ever was.


When he rounded the corner to the area he was supposed to meet C.J. he saw them. It was C.J. he recognized but from the laughing he guessed the two guys with him were his friends. Justin felt nervous, he wanted C.J.'s friends to like him.


"C.J., I'm finally here," he squealed in delight, stamping his feet a little with excitement.


C.J. looked up to see him, Justin saw as his brother's smile faded.


"I thought your brother was coming not your sister," a huge guy said. The guy was bald with a menacing presence.


"Caveman, shut the hell up," the other guy said. He was shorter and lean. His hair was blonde, cut in military style, like C.J.'s.


C.J. showed the airline worker his identification but hadn't said anything to Justin yet, he then signed a piece of paper. C.J. started to walk towards the exit of the area, Justin quickly followed. They went to the baggage claim.


"There it is," he yelled pointing at his bag. His bag was bright orange, he was quite proud of his pick. His dad had laughed but couldn't argue with Justin's line of thinking. Justin had told his father that with all the luggage around a bright orange bag would be noticed. He was right he saw it as soon as they neared.


"Fuck!" C.J. said angrily. Justin was taken aback but his brother's reaction to just a bag.


Justin went to grab his bag. C.J.'s friend beat him to it, not the mean one. "Thank you," he said to the man.


The man smiled kindly at him. Justin thought he was really cute, Daphne was just die if she saw him.


C.J. yanked his bag away from his friend and started to carry it away.


"I guess that's our cue to leave," the blonde friend said.


"I guess," Justin said.


They quickly followed C.J. and the big guy. It was hard to keep up because they had long legs. Once they were outside, a van stopped a little in front of them.


C.J. walked to the van and opened the back; he threw in Justin's bag, not too lightly either. The big guy who apparently was called Caveman got into the passenger's seat. The other friend slid the door open, he waved Justin in. Justin climbed in the very back row. He sat and buckled up. C.J. and his blonde friend sat in the middle.


"So how was your flight?" the blonde friend asked…after five minutes of silence.


"Oh, it was really nice. I sketched most of the trip." His sketch pad was in his backpack. He drew a picture for C.J. but he would give it to him later.


"C.J. said you're an artist."


Justin preened at his brother calling him an artist.


"He just doodles," C.J. said snidely.


It was like being stabbed in the heart. C.J. knew how much drawing meant to Justin. Then just to put it down to just doodling. It hurt more than words could say.


"Fairies usually do something faggoty like that," Caveman said.


Justin waited for his brother to tell the man to shut up. But he didn't say anything, just ignored that Justin was in the van at all. It wasn't the first time Justin had heard things like that. His father's friends were like that, but lately his father had yelled at them when they talked that way. Justin thought maybe his dad might know that he liked guys instead of girls.


"Shut the fuck up, would you," the blonde friend said. He then turned and looked at Justin. "I'm Kurt, Ravi is driving, that's Caveman in the passenger's seat. My kids are excited to meet you. Owen is thirteen and Kimmy is eleven. I'm the one that's going to be teaching you to surf. I grew up in Santa Cruz, I've been surfing since I could walk."


Justin really liked Kurt, he couldn't wait to meet his kids.


"Change of plans, I don't want Justin to learn how to surf. He's too delicate for it," C.J. snapped.


"I'm not, I can do it. I promise," he said, feeling the chance of doing something cool slipping away.


"Shut up, Justin." C.J. said. It was the first thing he said directly to him.


Justin watched as his fun trip started to go up in smoke. His only hope was that it would get better when they got to C.J.'s house.


"You're going to have to go back sometime," Daphne said as she lifted her head off of his chest. He had been thinking of when it all had started. He knew as soon as he got off the plane that something was wrong with C.J., but he never would have believed in a million years that he would turn his back on him.


The week he had spent at Daphne's parents was coming to an end. They told him that after today that they would tell anyone who called that he was there. It had been a short reprieve but one he needed.


He had gone to class but didn't see any of his family. Term was going to be over in a few weeks. Daphne had already found a new roommate in Providence.


Daphne shot up and ran to the bathroom. She had been sick a lot during the week. She also looked more tired than he ever remembered her being.


"I think you should go to the doctor," he said when she came back into the bedroom.


"I'm fine," she snapped.


"What's going on Daph? You know everything about me. You never used to keep secrets from me."


She popped a piece of gum in her mouth, "I think I'm pregnant."


Silence filled the room while he processed what she had said.


"That's not possible. You're on the pill," he pointed out.


"Yeah, about that. I forgot a couple of days, I took them… but at different times. That decreases the efficiency. I need to find Brad if I am, he has to know that he is going to be a father," she said quietly.


That brought Justin up short. "Umm… Brad wasn't the only one you had sex with," he reminded her.


"But he is most likely. I would have been more fertile those days and we were together twice. You and I were only together once."


"That's all it took last time," he reminded her.


"And that's another thing. The chances that the only two times we have sex we get pregnant is improbable. That's not how the reproductive system works."


"Were you at all fertile during the time we were together?"


"It's not as simple as that," she said.


"What does that mean?"


She didn't say anything else. Looking at her, he tried to figure out what was going on. Daphne had never been a good liar, she wasn't telling the whole truth at the moment.


"Okay, say we find Brad. What happens next?"


"Well, he was a senior, so he could get a job in Providence, and we'll live together and raise the baby. We might even get married."


He stared dumbly at his best friend. She couldn't possibly be as delusional as this.


"He left when you asked to just visit him during the summer." Tears started to brim in her eyes. He sighed. "Okay, I'll help you find him. But please don't get your hopes up. This guy just used you and ran off, you are better than this"


"Like you're so fucking better," she said, seething now. "You spend all week here to get away from your dad but all you talk about is Brian. The man fucks anything that moves… your words. Let's not even go into your work at Babylon. You were willing to have sex with a near stranger for a paycheck. Why the hell would I want you to be the father of my baby? You're just going to end up some old man's kept boy. That is until you're too old for that. Then who the fuck knows what you're going to do."


Justin stared at her as she screamed and ranted at him. Many would think he would be hurt by her words. But he had knew her too well and too long to be hurt by this. When she had the miscarriage she told him she wished she never met him. Then she called him every name in the book. If anyone else talked to him like Daphne did he would have been hurt. But that's what best friends were for, to rant and rail against and still be there. She had been on the wrong end of his angry words too. After calling her a fucking spoiled princess once she spent the night trying to cheer him up. Friends fight and make up, that's them except they never stopped being friends so they didn't need to make up.


He sat quietly at her desk, and logged into her computer.


"Okay, did he say what school he went to?" he asked her.


She sniffled some then composed herself. "UT Knoxville. What are you going to look for?"


Truthfully, he had no idea. It wasn't like typing guy who got my friend pregnant in Panama Beach would get the results he would need. He searched around for a Brad who was senior and graduating from UT Knoxville. He wasn't having any luck.


"Do you know his last name?"


"Of course I do, it's Levine."


They looked for two hours before they had a break. They were looking at a social media site and saw a familiar face. But they were puzzled about what they found. They were on Brad Levine's page but the profile picture was not of Daphne's Brad. This guy was some musclebound black guy. He was a senior at UT and going into the engineering field. Daphne's Brad was a tall, white guy that was thin with wire glasses.


They were about to start over when something caught his eye. It was a party picture that had a group of friends smiling at the camera.


"Daph, does this guy look familiar?" he asked pointing to a thin, nerdy looking guy in the picture.


"That's Brad," she said, excitedly.


He could tell what kind of picture it was without making it larger, Daphne hadn't yet. He clicked on it and prepared for the fallout. It was the first of a set of pictures, the first one a party in a club, clearly a bachelor party. The next was a smiling older woman with one arm around Daphne's Brad and the other around real Brad. It went on and on until the picture that Daphne couldn't deny.


Standing in middle of a beautiful church was Daphne's Brad, clearly marrying a beautiful raven haired woman with bright green eyes. The real Brad was standing to the side as the best man.


"He's married?" Daphne said brokenly. The date the wedding picture was added was a year ago.


Playing devil's advocate Justin said, "Maybe they're divorced now, it was a year ago."


"Click on that name… Logan Jennings."


He did, seemed Daphne's Brad was really Logan. Lots of stupid posts about comic books. But the latest one was a post and picture. It was the same raven haired woman in a hospital bed, holding a little chubby faced baby. Logan was leaning over kissing the woman's hair and smiling down at the baby. The picture was posted several days ago.


The meltdown wasn't long in coming. He held her and did everything he could think to calm her down. "This isn't good for the baby," he said brushing her hair out of her face.


"I hope I'm not pregnant," she cried.


"I thought you knew," he said quickly.


"No, I just said I think I am. I'm late, like really late. Like a month late."


"Has that ever happened before, without being pregnant?" Please say yes.


"Yes, once before I think something was off with my cycle and I didn't ovulate."


"Okay, this is what's going to happen. I'm going to go get a test. We'll straighten this out right now," he told her.


She grabbed her car keys. "Take my car, it will take less time. My parents are both working late and Rick is at a friend's tonight." Rick was Daphne's twelve year old little brother.


"Okay, you lay down and get some rest. I'll be back as soon as possible."


A/N Please forgive my Daphne, she is flawed too.