- Text Size +

 

 

"Jerry, I'm home," Justin said, laughing at his goofiness.

He had spent the night at Brian's, again. He stopped even trying to tell himself that it was 'just this one more time'. Now he had finished his last exam, he was ready to leave.

His money had finally been released to him for his first year of school. Because he had gotten a scholarship, Mr. Jamison, his late grandfather's executor, said that the money could be used anyway he wanted. That's why he told Ethan last night that he would be moving out. He paid his last month's rent but told the landlord also that he wouldn't be staying. The whole place now reeked of Ethan and Tevye.

Most of the stuff he told Ethan he could have. He didn't want it after all the unimaginable things they had done on it. He was taking his bedroom set, the flatscreen television that had taken him and Daphne months to save up for. Also most of his kitchen things, he didn't want to leave anything his dad or sister had gotten him. That also meant moving Jerry and his huge tank.

"Did you miss me, Jerry?" he called out.

He pulled out the fresh cricket in a bag he had gotten Jerry. The poor thing was probably traumatized after watching Ethan and Tevye getting it on. Justin made sure he spent most of his time at the apartment to keep Jerry company, but he refused to stay nights. That was when they seemed to be trying to make him vomit the most.

Walking over to the tank he looked for Jerry. Usually the frog was on one of his rocks. Justin looked over every part of the tank but couldn't find him. The top of the tank was off, which was unusual. Starting to panic, he called out to the frog.

Idiot, like he's going to answer you or run to you like a dog.

"Jerry!" he called again after telling the voice to shut up.

For the next hour Justin tore the apartment up. He left no box unturned or closet alone. But he still couldn't find Jerry. The only place he hadn't looked was Ethan's room but it stayed locked when he wasn't there.

Looking at the clock he saw that Ethan's next class wasn't for another hour. Grabbing his phone he quickly dialed, hoping that he knew where Jerry was.

"What?" Ethan sounded pissed off.

"Do you know where Jerry is?"

"Why would I know where your fucking frog is?"

"Can I check your room? He may have gotten into there."

"He can't get out of that damned tank. He is not in my room." Now Ethan was sounding downright hostile.

"The tank was left uncovered, he's a bullfrog. Bullfrogs have amazing jumping abilities. Please just let me check your room."

"NO! Fuck off." Ethan had then ended the call. Justin didn't understand the anger Ethan had adopted in the last month but he didn't like it. He thought about looking in Ethan's room anyway, but that would be a breach in privacy. He just hoped later Ethan would let him look, at least to ease his curiosity.




Brian groaned as he watched the twink walk into the diner. He was doing so well not thinking about him. Justin had left this morning going on and on about his last exam. He was excited to spend the summer working on paintings that he wanted to do, not ones forced on him.

"Great," Michael muttered.

Brian's eyes left Justin, who was now talking to Debbie at the counter, and he looked at Michael.

"I thought the two of you were best buddies now?" Brian asked, adding his trademark smirk.

"He's fucking everywhere. I go to Ma's, he's there stuffing his face. I go to Babylon, he's there dancing with any guy who asks him. I go to the shop and he comes by and pesters me. I've just have had enough of the kid."

Brian didn't know what was going on. Last he heard Justin and Michael were getting close. But he had a suspicion, and it all had to do with the green-eyed monster.

"Aww, is wittle Mikey jealous? Does mommy have a new baby to smother? I'm sorry, she's got two new babies to love and kiss and mother."

"Shut up," Michael hissed as Justin approached them.

"Hey," Justin said but his usual smile was gone. Debbie called him Sunshine because of that smile.

"Hi," Michael grunted.

"What are you doing here?" Brian asked curiously.

"I'm trying to find my dad. He's not answering his phone. I need him to get Ethan to let me look in his room. Jerry's missing."

"The frog?" Brian asked. He thought the idea of that thing missing was a blessing.

"Yeah, I'm sure he's really scared by now. I don't know how he got out of the tank. I guess, I must have accidently left the top off." Brian could see the shame on the kid's face.

"When is Ian supposed to be home?" Brian asked. He couldn't believe he was really considering helping him out. He hated the damn thing.

"Now, I think. I usually stay and watch TV with Jerry before going out," Justin said as it was the most natural thing in the world.

"You watch TV with your frog?"

"Of course I do. He likes the wildlife shows the best."

"Have you lost your ever lovin' mind? Your frog doesn't care about what you're watching on TV."

Brian was getting a little tired of Justin's obsession with his damn frog. He turned and glared at Mikey, who looked just as shocked as Brian that Justin was gaga over the damn thing.

"Frogs are near-sighted," Ted said as he slid into the other side of the booth. "So unless you have him right up there, he can't see it. But their hearing is phenomenal."

Justin actually looked crushed for a minute that the frog wasn't watching the shows with him.

"Seriously, what is the deal with you and this frog?" he finally asked.

"He needs me," Justin whispered. "Ever since I was a kid people have been taking care of me. My dad took care of me and Molly. Then it was Daphne always looking out for me. I only got to return the favor with they would allow it. But Jerry really needs me, and if I don't find him he'll go hungry."

"Jerry's a bullfrog right?" Ted asked.

"Yeah."

"Listen kid, if Jerry is alive and you fed him last night, he'll be fine for a while. Also bullfrogs will eat anything, it'll be a while before he would starve. Why don't I come over to your place and help look for him," Ted volunteered.

"Ohh, what are we looking for?" Emmett said as he sat beside Ted.

"Justin's frog Jerry has escaped. I just told him that I would come and help."

"I'll come too. Frog legs are a delicacy in Mississippi," Emmett said. But on Justin's horrified face he added, "Just kidding, baby."

"I'll help too," Michael volunteered. Wasn't he just saying that he spent too much time with the kid?

All eyes seemed to land on him. "Sorry, got places to see, people to do."

Justin nodded his head. "It's okay, Brian. Thank you guys for helping me. Maybe without you there Ethan and Tevye might leave me alone."

That simple sentence had Brian wondering what it meant. He knew from just talking to Justin that he didn't like his roommate. He also had told Brian that his roommate's new boyfriend was a little skeevy. He said once that Ethan was late coming home and Tevye had arrived. After leaving the man in the living room to wait for Ethan, Justin went to finish a project in his bedroom. A few minutes later Tevye was sneaking into his room.

Justin told the fucker to get out. When the guy only palmed his crotch and told Justin they had time before Ethan arrived. Justin's only answer had been to throw the complete works of Oscar Wilde at him. It had been the only thing close to him at the time.

When Justin attempted to tell Ethan what his boyfriend had said and done, the asshole called Justin a liar and slut. That was three days ago and Justin had spent that night and every night since at Brian's.

Brian couldn't believe he was doing this. "I'll go too." Mostly he wanted to see the two slime balls. After knowing what Justin had gone through before he didn't want some overrated, big-headed fiddle player hurting him again.

Justin felt nervous bringing not only Brian but his whole gang back to the apartment. He didn't want to deal with Ethan and Tevye alone though. Tevye was starting to weird him out and Ethan was growing more hostile by the day. Right now all he wanted was Jerry and to get out of there.

He had more money now than his father made in a year and a half. He would have given every penny to his dad if he wanted but he wouldn't take it. Now the plan was for him pack and move out. After he left Brian's this morning he stopped by his lawyers. He had gotten the call as soon as he stepped out of the loft. Seventy thousand dollars was at this moment being transferred to his bank account. Apparently, his late grandfather didn't think him or Molly should ever do without, even in college.

The only person he had told was his dad. He guessed Molly would know since she was a part of the case. Now that Craig Taylor had lost his last appeal, he was officially out of their lives.

Justin always took the stairs because he was only on the second floor. He could hear Emmett and Ted complaining about that choice.

"If I wanted exercise I would have gone to the gym," Ted grumbled.

"It's only one flight up," he told the man.

The others laughed as they walked down the hallway. He pulled out his key to unlocked the door but when he touched the doorknob it slowly opened. What he saw the inside made him freeze.

"What the fuck, move," Brian bitched.

Numbly, he moved from the door into the apartment.

"What. The. Fuck?" Brian bellowed.

Everyone was standing just inside the door looking at the same disaster he was. Everything was turned over and/or broken. His flat screen had a hammer through it. The walls where covered in paint, with the words Ugly Whore on them. His clothes were all over the floor, cut to shreds. There was also broken plates and glasses all around the living room. Paint was also covering the hardwood floor. Jerry's tank was shattered, with water dripping from it, ruining the hardwood floor beneath it.

"What the hell happened here?" Emmett said. He was the first one of them to come out of their shocked state.

Before anyone could say anything else there was a pained gasp from behind them. Justin turned to see Ethan's bloodied face. He had his right hand curled into his body. His left hand he was clutching his broken violin.

"What happened?" he asked as he ran to Ethan. He didn't like the guy but he was clear the man had been attacked.

"Tevye has lost his mind," Ethan croaked out. "I came home earlier and he was trashing the place. I grabbed my phone to call the police then he attacked me. Fucker beat me with my own violin." Ethan slid down to the floor and leaned against the wall.

"Why?" Ted asked.

"Because I'm stupid and didn't see what was in front of my face."

Justin crouched down in front of Ethan. "What do you mean?" He could hear Michael talking quietly on the phone.

"It was all a lie. He didn't like me. Apparently he's been obsessed with you since he first saw you at freshman orientation. He by chance saw you dancing at Babylon and started following you. When we moved in I thought maybe there was something between us. But it was clear you didn't like me that way.

"It was like a sign from the gods that I met Tevye. I didn't think someone like him would ever look at me. But he always wanted to come over here, never his own place. Then he said that he liked the danger of being caught in the living room. I was dumb enough to believe him. It was all just a lie, he just wanted you to see him. I told him last night about you moving out. I thought he would be happy, he could move in. He broke up with me last night. This is how happy he was about it. When I came home and he was here, he keep yelling at me, telling me that I was useless." He was silent for a minute. "Oh, and I found Jerry."

"Where is he?" Justin said looking around for any signs of the frog.

Ethan pointed at the only thing still right side up. A big pot sat on the stove burner.

Brian got a very bad feeling when the fiddler pointed to the pot. When Justin went to stand up Brian waved him off. "I'll go look."

Dread filled him the closer and closer he got to the pot. When he reached it his hand rested on the lid. He could feel every eye in the room on him. Slowly he lifted the thing up and peered inside. Not surprising Jerry was inside. His legs were severed from the rest of his body. Brian wished he'd had just stayed at the diner.