- Text Size +

 

 

Brian didn't want to admit the real reason he came to the party. He tried to tell himself it was because Deb wouldn't let up, but that wasn't it. The truth was he wanted to see Justin. He also wanted to see the bastard who failed at protecting his own little brother. See the man that all but handed his baby brother over to a pedophile with a red bow tied around his neck.

When he walked into the house it was full of people. It was C.J. and his family's homecoming. In the living room Emmett, Ted, Lindsay and Mel were talking to a tall blonde woman. He assumed that was Cathy, C.J.'s wife. Ben and Michael were talking with Vic on the couch.

There were two kids running up and down the stairs. He assumed they were Justin's niece and nephew. When he walked into the kitchen he saw an attractive interracial couple sitting at the kitchen table. Brian knew from what Justin had told him that the leggy brunette was his sister, Vicky. Brian couldn't remember her husband's name but he was a good looking black man with a trim beard. Deb was chatting loudly with the woman about trying to talk Carl into something. Brian didn't care enough to pay attention.

Walking to the backdoor, he was stopped by an odd sight. Just outside the door was an anxious looking Carl and Vas. Brian did his best not to glare at Justin's boyfriend.

Ever since he started dating the cop, he stopped hanging out at Babylon or even Woody's. Justin had said Vas was worried because Tevye was still out there. Brian thought it was bullshit, Justin wouldn't be out of their sight at all times. But he didn't say that out loud, he wouldn't go around sounding like a jilted ex. He was glad the kid was out of his loft, he just hadn't expected the kid would be out of his life too.

Brian looked to see what the two were looking at. It didn't take long, on the far side of the yard, which wasn't very far with Deb's backyard being small. Justin was standing, holding onto Gus like he was a lifeline. He was looking at a taller man with brown hair. They didn't seem to be fighting but Justin still looked very uncomfortable.

He started to walk towards them when a hand on his arm stopped him. He looked over at the owner of said hand. Dudley Do-Right.

"Leave them be," Vas said darkly.

"Take your hand off me. I'm going to get my kid, he's not going to be in between - whatever the hell that is." He jerked his arm away from the man and headed over to Justin.

"Thanks, I don't deserve this second chance but I'll gladly take it," the older man said.

Justin looked like he was about to respond when he saw Brian.

"Brian," he said softly.

"I just came to get Gus," he said, opening his arms for the baby. Gus went instantly to his arms, probably feeling the tension in the two other men.

"Of course, sorry. I was playing with him when C.J. came in."

Settling Gus on his hip, he then really looked at C.J. for the first time.

"So this is the infamous Brian," C.J. said with a smirk. Who does this asshole think he is?

"So this is the man who handed his baby brother to a sexual predator," Brian responded.

How dare this man judge anything he did? Brian couldn't stand his sister but he would never do anything like that to her. Hell, when she called about her husband hitting her, he had moved them out himself. He also paid for her lawyer.

"Brian," Justin said sharply.

"Listen here. I don't give a fuck who you are. This is between me and my little brother," C.J. growled.

"Because you were too much of a bastard to tell his father you neglected him and then let him be abused right under you roof. You made sure he never got the help he needed. Too much of a fucking bigot that you gave him to your friend."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Those are mighty big words from a man hiding behind a baby."

"I don't have to hide behind anyone. That seems to be better your style."

"Fuck, would you two stop your pissing contest," Vas roared. Brian saw him grab Justin and lead him inside. Brian felt like shit, he had seen the tears in Justin eyes as Vas pulled him away. He didn't want to make it any worse on the kid. There was just something about C.J. that pissed him off, probably his complete failure in protecting his brother.



Justin was shaking as Vas led him upstairs. He opened Michael's old bedroom and pushed him inside, closing it behind him. Vas didn't deal with crying very well. Molly jumped up from the bed, she was holding a book to her chest.

"Fuck, you scared me." Noticing something was wrong with him she rushed over. "What's wrong?" Her eyes took a dangerous look.

"It's okay, Mol. I just need some time to compose myself. Vas is outside the door guarding it. C.J. and Brian looked like they were going to start fighting." He brushed the tears out of his eyes and started to calm down, his sister had that effect on him.

"You would think Brian was your boyfriend because of the way he acts." Molly walked back to the bed and flopped down.

"What do you mean?"

"Come on, Justin. You have to see the way he still looks at you, even though you're not around much. Every time I see him he always asks about you, though he tries to sound nonchalant about it."

Justin looked at her for a moment. "When did you become an expert on Brian Kinney?"

"Just because you're not allowed to spend time with anyone doesn't mean I am. I work at the diner. Emmett and I have a standing appointment at Milena's for our manicures. Ted helps me with my math homework when I'm on break. I help Michael with inventory when he needs it. Ben is helping me prepare what I'll need to get into a good school. He said that I need to act now and work on my extracurricular activities, and not just track. I've also baby sat Gus a few times. Brian and I talk about a lot of things but most of the time it circles back to you."

Justin looked at Molly, shocked that she had such a great relationship with everyone. He knew her and Debbie were getting close.

It had been two months a since he started dating Vas. In that time he felt further away from his family than he ever had. He had only talked to Vicky once since moving in with Vas. The way she had told him not to rush into things. If that wasn't the pot calling the kettle black. Vicky always rushed into relationships, she had no room to talk.

Then there was his dad, he had agreed that Justin was rushing into things. Justin had only stayed at his dad's house a few days until Vas talked him into moving in. There wasn't a lot keeping him anywhere else, and Vas really liked him. It was still too early for him to say he loved Vas. Love at first sight or touch didn't happen in the real world, at least not usually. Brian had been the exception to the rule. But he hadn't wanted the same things as Justin did. There was no way he could stand by and watch Brian with others. It just wasn't in him to be that sharing. Vas on the other hand was very committed and didn't need anyone else.

Really, it had been great from the start. The only thing Justin would change if he could was Vas's jealousy. When he told everyone the reason for not hanging out anymore, he had to lie. Vas didn't like for him to go out to Babylon or Woody's. Vas said he would prefer if Justin didn't go to the diner either. Being friends with the gang wasn't very important to Vas. When Justin told him that he wanted to ask Ted to be his accountant, he lost it.

It was going to help both Ted and Justin out. Ted needed something to do since being arrested and losing his porn website. Justin needed someone to help him keep his money and not waste it.

When Justin heard about Brian getting Ted off by using his relationship with Police Chief Stockwell, he was relieved. Vas was still pissing and moaning saying that Brian was a traitor; not only for working for a homophobe, but because the man helped Tevye get away with what he had done. He didn't point out that Vas worked for the same homophobe. Justin hadn't seen it that way, he knew Brian didn't want to support the man but it was his job. Just like it was Vas's job to patrol Liberty Avenue.

For the most part Justin and Vas got along, it was just when it came to other people there were problems. Now, it seemed that he was the only one of his family that wasn't a part of the gang. He knew his brother and his family would become part of the group. He had promised to forgive C.J. and give him a second chance. The anger had left him, now he was just sad. Hopefully this was a new start for that relationship. Vas was always telling him that forgiveness was for the best. Knowing that Vas had forgiven the man who tried to kill him was eye opening. The man had a huge heart, most of the time.

"Earth to Justin," Molly said loudly, snapping her fingers in his face.

"What?"

"You like zoned out. Is everything okay?" She had a worried look, he hated to see her like that.

"Nah, I'm great now." He smiled at her. "Let's go downstairs and get something to eat."

"You're going to have lots to eat. Since you haven't been to a family dinner in forever Deb has gone overboard. Not to mention with C.J. and Vicky along with everyone else. It's going to be so fun." She jump up and grabbed her backpack. "Did I show you what Vicky and I got today?" She was almost bouncing.

He walked over to where she was knelt on the floor. "No, what?"

He was stunned when she pulled out a very expensive looking camera. It was black and sleek, he didn't even want to know how much it cost. It looked like it was more than someone would give a sixteen year old.

"Wow."

"I know, I just mentioned to her that I was joining the Photography club. Then we went out and she bought it for me. Can you believe it?" she squealed.

Justin could, when Vicky had gotten him the aquarium it was because she felt guilty for not seeing signs of abuse. This was only a guess, but he would think this was because she's not been around when Molly wanted a woman in her life most. But now Molly had Debbie and Vicky was feeling left out.

"That's amazing, Mol. Maybe we should go to the park soon. You take pictures and I'll sketch."

Molly gave him a sad little smile. "Maybe, if Vas lets you." She quickly left before Justin could even process what she had said.

Brian was trying to ignore the glare he was getting from Vas. There was something off about the man. He could feel it. Not one to be fooled very often, he read people very well. Everything he read from Vas made him uneasy. Not seeing Justin very much was troublesome also. Hearing from Carl and Debbie, he knew that Justin hadn't been around them as of late either. No one besides him seemed to think Vas was the cause. It was the reason every time he did get a glimpse of the twink, he paid attention to everything. He was going to figure out what was wrong.

"Ben, Vas would you two please set up the tables and chairs outside."

The cop seemed to hesitate before he followed Ben to the backyard. Molly came downstairs and headed right out the front door. While he was thinking about going to see what was wrong, Justin came downstairs. The kid's face was paler than usual and he was looking around the room, probably for his boyfriend.

"What's up, Sunshine?" he said when Justin hit the bottom step.

"Have you seen Molly?"

"She just went out the front door."

Justin headed to the front door and Brian followed him. When they got outside Molly was nowhere to be seen.

"Fuck," Justin cursed.

"What's your problem?" Maybe he could have sounded a little less harsh.

Justin turned abruptly and looked at Brian. "Do you think Vas tells me what to do?"

"I ah-

"Well, he doesn't. I'm the one who chooses what I do and don't do. Just because my life doesn't revolve around my family or you guys all the time doesn't mean I'm some programed little twink. I'm perfectly capable to running my own life."

Nothing turned Brian on more than this defiant, mouthy Justin. It was incredibly hot. He grabbed Justin and pulled him into his arms. Justin just melted into his him, like he knew he would. It felt amazing to have him back in his arms. He lowered his mouth and captured Justin's lips in a passionate kiss.

"What the fuck!" an angry voice yelled.

Justin almost leapt out of his arms at the yell. Brian looked over to see Vas, the look in the man's eyes screamed danger. Vas made a grab for Justin but Brian knocked his hand away.

"Justin, get in the car," Vas said, seething.

"He's an adult, he can choose what he does. His whole family is inside that house, you can't just take him away."

"Justin," Vas said, darkly.

"It's fine, Brian. I need to get home anyway. We couldn't stay for the whole party anyway, Vas has to be at work soon." Justin's eyes kept darting between Brian and Vas, worry evident.

"I'll give you a ride home. Just because he's leaving doesn't mean you have to go."

"I want to go home with him. Don't you understand? I want to be with him; get that through your head." With that, Justin took off for Vas's car. Brian may have believed him, if he hadn't seen the scared look in Justin's eyes.

"Stay away, if you know what's good for you, Kinney." Vas turned on his heel and marched to his car. A moment later they were gone.

"That's not right, is it?" a soft voice said.

Brian saw Molly coming out from beside the porch. She must have saw and heard the whole thing.

"No, that's very wrong."