- Text Size +

 

 

The noises started first, sometimes it was people talking, even though what they said made no sense to him. Then it was the beeping or a humming sound. He tried like hell to open his eyes but just didn't have the energy to do it.

The next time he woke he heard his sister, Molly talking to him. Really, it was more like her reading something to him. He tried to listen to her but fell back asleep before he could let her know he was awake.

"So, what are you going to tell him?" he heard Brian ask the next time he woke.

"I'm going to give him the option to keep it," Daphne said, coolly.

"What if it's the other guy's?" He heard Daphne gasp, he had no idea what they were talking about but it seemed important. He tried to open his eyes again but failed.

"How do you know there was someone else?" Daphne asked.

"Justin is a regular Chatty Cathy when he's drinking. He told me all your spring break love story, then about his and your drunken fuck."

"Do you have to be so vulgar?

"It wasn't me who fucked some other guy and my best friend, and now trying to pass of a kid on the only one around. Who cares if he just had his skull bashed in? Right. Why should it matter to you that he'll throw away the rest of his life taking care of a kid that might not be his." Justin could hear the anger in Brian's voice.

"I'm not. It would be best for both of us if we put the baby up for adoption. I have to let Justin have the choice of keeping it though. Laura, his nurse, said that she has been noticing signs of him waking up. I'm almost eight months now. He should know about the baby."

Baby? There was a baby? Justin's brain started to hurt when he tried to think about why a baby would be involved in his life. Nothing they were saying was making any sense.

"What about the other guy? Did you give him the same chance?" Brian's voice was bitter sounding.

"That man lied about everything. The chances that he is the father is really low. Both times with him we used protection, with Justin we didn't use anything." Daphne sounded close to tears, Justin tried to open his mouth to tell her he was there. He didn't like Brian being so mean to her, even though he didn't understand what was happening. He and Daphne had only had sex once, and that was in high school. She had gotten pregnant and then had a miscarriage, it was cold of Brian to be talking about a baby that never was going to be born.

"So the guy doesn't deserve to know his kid because he's a jerk?"

"Why are you saying all these things? I've been living in hell for months and you just want to hurt me."

"Get off the cross. It sucks that you were kept in that room by that psycho but that doesn't give you the right to ruin Justin's life."

"I would ruin it if I didn't give him the choice to raise his son," Daphne said so quietly Justin had trouble hearing her.

Nothing they said was making any sense to him. Every time he tried to think about why he was in the bed, he could only guess was in a hospital, he came up blank. The last thing he remembered was Brian and him fucking in the shower at Brian's loft. He had been staying with Brian since he moved out of his apartment, he didn't know why he moved out. It was probably because Brian offered him a place. He would much rather be with Brian than in empty apartment, he couldn't remember why it was empty though. Everything was so fuzzy, and he couldn't really put what they were saying together enough to make sense.

When Justin was finally able to open his eyes, the room was dim. He was able to move his head to the side a little. It was when he saw him asleep in the chair beside the bed. It couldn't be comfortable sleeping in the thing. Smiling a little he lifted his hand, trying to reach for him. It was no luck, he was too far away.

"Dad," he said, it come out hoarsely. "Dad." This time it was stronger.

He watched as his dad shook himself awake. His eyes widened as he looked at Justin.

"Hey, buddy, they said you were trying to wake up. I missed you. I'm so sorry for setting you up with Vas, I didn't know you felt so strongly towards Kinney."

"Who's Vas?" Justin asked, confused.

His dad blanched. "Hold on, let me get the nurse." Justin nodded but after his dad left he fell back asleep.


Brian got the call when he was at work. Justin had woken up. He thought about going over there but it wasn't like he could help the kid. It was best for him to be around his family. It would be for his own selfish reasons for going, not for the good of Justin.

Continuing to work he lost himself in his job. It wasn't until days later and an irate Debbie arriving that he had to face the music.

"You little asshole, all he's been asking for is you. Ever since he woke up, and I know Michael called you."

"Deb, it's not like he needs me there. I wouldn't be able to help him, I'm not a doctor."

Debbie puffed out her chest and looked like she was about to breath fire. He steeled himself for whatever she was going to yell but then she stopped. Her eyes bore into him and he thought she could see what he was thinking.

"Brian, I know you're scared to see him. I also know you'd rather cut off your right hand than admit it. This kid means something to you. I don't know how but Justin has some way wiggled into your stone-cold heart. But Brian, he didn't wake up the way they hoped."

Brian raised an eyebrow. "What the hell does that mean?" Worry filling his mind.

"They were worried about his motor function before he woke up. Surprisingly, everything they thought would happen didn't. He has no trouble using his hands, legs or anything. But something happened they weren't expecting. His has memory loss."

"You're kidding me?" What was this? Some kind of soap opera?

"No, he woke up and his memory is scattered. He remembers you, me and the rest of us. But then there are people like Vas, he has no idea who the man is."

Brian didn't blame the kid for putting that asshole out of his head. "So he wants to forget about his ex, so what. Unless Justin doesn't consider Vas he ex."

"You don't understand, Justin doesn't remember him. Carl even brought Vas into the hospital room hoping it would jog his memory. Nothing happened. Then there is Daphne and the baby, he doesn't remember having sex with her over spring break. Do you think she is lying about sleeping with Justin?" Deb twisted her hands together in agitation.

As much as Brian thought Daphne was hiding from reality herself, he didn't want people to think badly of her, Justin wouldn't want that. "No, Justin told me he had sex with her."

Deb nodded. "That's not the only thing he has forgotten." This time her eyes showed anger not concern.

"What? Fuck, Deb just tell me," he said when she hesitated.

"The whole thing with Truman Bach isn't there. He also doesn't remember C.J. being an asshole to him in Hawaii, in fact he doesn't remember going to Hawaii."

Brian stood there stunned, he had never heard of someone's memory being that select. It seemed like Justin's brain was suppressing every bad thing that ever happened to him.

"Does he remember what happened when he was little?" Justin's abandonment played a big part in how he acted as an adult, so did the attack.

"No, Carl and the doctor were very gentle when asking him questions. The doctor doesn't want anyone to fill those holes in. If Justin remembers them than that's one thing but he thinks it'll be a mistake to tell him. He did say if Justin figured out that we are hiding something and demanded answers we could tell him about the repressed memories just not what they were of."

Yeah, that's going to go over swell for Sunshine. "Hey, we know stuff that happened to you but you don't get to know, bye."

"Thanks for the update Deb but now I want to go even less." Liar

"Just go and settle him down. He's getting very aggravated there and wants to see you. Don't stay if you don't want to but at least let him see you with his own eyes. No matter what we say he thinks we are keeping you from him. Be prepared though, he's a little different now. More – I guess the only way to explain it is – suspicious."

After all that Justin had been through how could he not be suspicious. There was someone out there that had tried to kill him, one in jail for kidnapping his best friend – the same one who had attacked him at the age of twelve. He had his hero older brother turn his back on him, but now he seemed not to remember that either. Brian suspected it was all bull, Justin was pulling one over on them all. That was the only reason he was going, to prove the little twink was fine.

A/N I know this is very farfetched but I couldn't stop. I hope everyone is still okay with it. I don't have anyone to run the story by in case it's too out there. Oh I know almost nothing about the medical field and I'm making all this up as I go.