- Text Size +

 

 

Brian was jolted out of sleep by the incessant ringing of Justin's phone. He knew it was Justin's because everyone on his contact list had a corresponding song for their ringtones. The song filling the loft now was ABBA's Mamma Mia. The song was one he had gotten used to in the past weeks, he heard it day and night. Justin thought it would be perfect for Daphne's ringtone.

He grunted when Justin's elbow connected with his rib; the kid was leaning over him reaching for his phone.

"Get the fuck off me," he grumbled.

"Oh, sorry," Justin giggled before crawling the rest of the way over him and grabbed the phone. The phone stopped playing the blasted song before Justin could answer it.

"How hard would it be to walk around the damn bed?"

"Not as hard as it is now," Justin said, seductively rubbing his hands over Brian's hard length.

The phone started back up again and they both groaned. No fun would be had at the moment. Since he was up and running with nowhere to go, he jumped up to go shower. Maybe he would head out for an early morning at the gym. He left Justin answering the phone to talk to his neurotic baby mama.

The water had just began to get hot when Justin barged in.

"I need to borrow your jeep," he said, almost shouting. He had his shirt halfway on and he had paint stained cargo shorts on. He was also wearing his tennis shoes without socks.

"What the hell, Sunshine? Did you just get a callback for Rent?"

"Daphne's in labor!" he shouted excitedly. "I'm going to be a father." His face paling at the declaration. "I'm going to be a father."

"Calm down. It's not too late, you can still find someone else who wants it. Someone who will appreciate having a kid and wants to take care of it." He was raised by a man who never wanted him, it wasn't fair to do that to a child.

The argument for keeping the baby was that he had to keep the baby, no other reason - he just had to. He wouldn't tell Brian why but it was the only time they ever fought. He really didn't know where Justin's head was anymore. The new Justin was stubborn and secretive, and really good at it at it. Besides being pigheaded about the baby, Brian really liked the kid. Maybe more than he should, he already knew the kid was his undoing but what could he do, this was his life.

Brian sighed. "Justin, what if you get your wish and she doesn't sign over her rights? Let's say you raise the kid for three years. Feed, love and clean the snot off his face then she shows up and wants him back. You said yourself that you don't want a partinety test, what if ones done then and he's not yours. You won't have any legal action to keep him."

"Daphne would do that," Justin argued.

"Get real Justin, she's a straight woman. She'll find a nice cock and settle down. When she does that she'll want her kid back. Hell, she might even get the kid calling him daddy. You'll be history and never heard from again. If you are so dead set on this, have the paternity test done."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore. This is my baby, I don't care who the sperm donor was. I need to do this."

"That's it, that's it right there. You don't say you want this - you say you need to do this. It's clear you don't want this baby."

"Never mind, I'll get a ride somewhere else."

"Stop being such a drama princess, I'll take you."

They didn't say anything else as Brian quickly showered and headed to the jeep. The drive was icily quiet, he could feel Justin stewing over their argument.

"I know you think I don't want this but I do. I want to see my son every day, hold him whenever I want. It's a miracle, I haven't been taking this as lightly as people think. My family thinks that it's because of my injury but it's not. It's just something that I have to do."

Brian thought about it for a minute, from Justin's point of view. Only being able to see Gus again just in pictures, and if he was lucky annual visits for a few minutes… it wouldn't ever be enough. He could not blame the kid for wanting a connection to his child- if it was his child.

They were met by an older couple in the waiting room of the maternity ward. The man seemed to be holding himself back from whatever he was feeling. But the woman had tears running freely down her face.

"What's wrong?" Justin asked, voice panicked.

"Daphne didn't want us in the room with her. She said when you got here to let you in," the woman said, she wasn't looking at Justin.

"Thanks for the ride Brian," Justin said before going back to the nurses' station.


Justin couldn't believe it, after all the screaming and cussing the baby was finally here. Daphne had held her for only a few minutes. She tearfully told him that she couldn't do it again. Her heart was breaking and she couldn't let her go again. Justin told her she didn't have to, the papers giving up her rights were to only be filled out after the baby was born. He told her he would help out if she wanted to keep the baby, they could even raise her together. But Daphne said it was for the best, things had to be this way. She said that Justin was going to be a great father to their daughter.

That was another surprise, Daphne was so sure the baby was a boy when the doctor asked if she wanted to know she said she already did. So Lucas Rea turned out to be Briana Rea, and he could just see Brian when he found out about his namesake. When Daphne asked what her name was she laughed when he told her, until he told her the middle name, then she cried. Rea was a family name from Daphne's father's side. When they were little every time she would give her future kids names they always had the name, Rea, in it.

Before he left the hospital with Briana he tried to convince Daphne not to sign the paperwork. She was clear she was signing and not going to change her mind. Her parents had already packed her stuff to send to Providence, Road Island. They had gotten her an apartment and wanted her far away from Justin and the baby they thought would ruin her life.

He tried not to blame them, they were thinking of their child. Just like he was thinking of his. But he also remembered the people that were like his extended family who looked at him with disgust now. He had his daughter though, he would be there for her. It still felt weird to think she was here, living breathing proof of that angels existed.

He hadn't called Brian or even his dad. He didn't call anyone, he didn't want anymore drama. Unluckily, he hadn't found a place that he like enough to move. Truth be told he liked living with Brian, he knew Brian would want him out now because of the baby. He just needed a couple more days, Brian's loft was the securest place he knew. They still hadn't caught the man who attacked him, and that was more terrifying with a innocent baby involved.

Then there was the secret he had been keeping from everyone. His memory had slowly been coming back over the past week. At first they were just fragmented pieces but soon he was able to put them together. They still didn't feel real to him, he didn't feel like the person those things happened to. Maybe that was the reason he hadn't told anyone, they didn't happen to him. He knew they happened but it was like they happened to someone on a TV show. It filled the blanks in his life but they felt false, and he wasn't about to make them feel real. It was better this way, he told himself. This was his rebirth along with his daughter's birth.