- Text Size +

 

 

Justin couldn't wait to tell Daphne about the job he got. He took a shot and went to the club, Babylon. A guy from his history of modern art class set him up with an interview.

Gary Sapperstein was a creep, but the job would pay well. Josh, his friend from class, had said not to get offended about anything the man said or did. The man hadn't done anything but he still gave Justin the creeps. But it was going to be a club filled with people, it wasn't like anything could ever happen to him there.

At first the man hadn't wanted to hire him. He didn't have the same build as most of his dancers, but he gave in. The man had admitted not all of his clientele went for the big buff guys, some liked young, thin guys. Not to mention he had a great ass, Brian talked about it at length on their night together.

He was going to be able to make up all the money they had lost. He might even keep the job if he liked it, maybe he would meet the man of his dreams. Well, he already had, but maybe there was someone better than Brian Kinney. There had to be, right? At least in the personality department.

He decided to grow up and live his life a little. That meant being okay with being seen on Liberty Avenue. His father would have to get used to this part of his life anyway. His dad already made a big step and went to a PFLAG meeting. They really hadn't talked since he had gotten back; it was because he made an excuse every time his dad called. He was worried his dad would ask for the money back.

He knew his dad would understand about spending the money, but it was the principle of the matter. They didn't want their parents to always think they needed them to bail them out.

It had been eight years since he could really talk to his father. Several times he had found himself wanting to talk about what was really bothering him. He wasn't the broken little kid that he was once upon a time anymore. That was a long time ago but nothing could change the past anyway. It was a part of him, it always would be.

His phone rang, bringing him out of his depressing thoughts.

Pulling his phone from his pocket he answered. "Hello?"

"I just got fired," Daphne cried into the phone.

"What? Wait. What happened?" He was trying not to panic.

"They said I was stealing. They told me I was lucky they were just firing me and not calling the police." She was breathing heavy.

"That's bullshit, you haven't ever stolen anything. You're their scapegoat, it's as simple as that. Listen I just got a second part-time job. I get to keep any tips I make, we'll be okay." He hoped he was telling the truth.

He was technically a millionaire, except he wasn't. The man he once thought was his grandfather left him and Molly his entire estate. He was supposed to get money for school but Craig Taylor had contested the inheritance, all the money was still tied up. Luckily, his father didn't want him depending on the money and encouraged him to go for a scholarship. It covered his tuition, everything else was his responsibility.

Daphne's parents were big on her paying her own way. They would help if it was dire but she really hated to ask. His dad was still paying off his private school loans. Molly had decided at eight she wanted to go to public school, so most of the debt was because of Justin. Just the thought of that much of a burden on his father had guilt filling him. Maybe if the job at Babylon worked out he could start giving his dad money to help the debt.

"How is a part-time job going to make up for my part of the expenses?" She sounded a little more like herself.

"I'm going to be a dancer at Babylon. You'll get a new job, I know it. Just let me take over for a while," he pleaded with her. She always had so much on her shoulders. Being pre-med was starting to wear her down.

"A dancer?" she asked, he could tell she was trying not to giggle now. At least she wasn't crying anymore.

"What you don't think I'll be any good?" He knew he was a great dancer, even his new boss said so.

"I'm sure you're going to be great. Who knows maybe you'll meet Mr. Right. Like Richard Gere when he met Julia Roberts," she said, giggling.

"I'm not a hooker, I'm a dancer," he told her. He was not Pretty Woman-ing with anyone.

"When do you start?"

"Tonight, I don't get off until two though."

"Okay. Oh yeah, your dad called me earlier. He wants us to meet his new lady friend. We are to meet him at 7pm at Ruby's tomorrow night."

The idea of his dad dating again didn't bother him as much as he thought it would. When he was younger his dad had a girlfriend. Justin didn't get along with her. He hoped this one was a nicer.

"Sounds good, I'll call if I'm going to be longer than 2:30," he told her.

"Fine, but if you don't call I'm going to call your dad." He knew she meant business.

 




 

The diner was filled with the regular Saturday lunch crowd. Sitting down in his regular booth, he ordered a coffee from Debbie who was with someone else.

"Just hold on," Debbie bitched. Michael and Ted came in at that moment, sitting opposite of him.

"I tried to call you last night, you weren't answering," Michael said, looking over the menu he knew by heart.

"I was busy." Since he got back from Florida a week earlier, he had been on edge. That meant he was tricking even more than usual.

"Are you going to Babylon tonight?" Michael asked.

"Is there anything else to do on Saturday night in this Burg?"

Michael gave him one of his goofy smiles and he couldn't stop from smiling back. Since they were fourteen, Michael had always been there for him, along with Michael's mother, Debbie. When things got too much at home, he would camp out at their house.

Brian didn't even want to think about where he would be without them. Mikey kept him grounded when he needed it, and Debbie gave him the ass-kicking only a mother could do.

When Michael started dating Doctor Dick, he didn't want to admit he was jealous. For the longest time he was the most important person in Michael's life, he didn't like giving up that title. But then it became obvious that he still was, David had only been a passing fancy.

But then Ben came into the picture, it was different. Michael was head-over-heels for Zen Ben. Ben was everything Michael needed in his life. Where Michael had a flair for the dramatic, Ben was calm, cool and collected. He was there to pull Michael back from the ledge anytime he got too close. That only made Brian realize he didn't have that person for him, it wasn't right for that person to be Michael anymore.

"Ben's feeling better now, Ma even seems to be accepting him." Debbie had not been very happy with her son dating a HIV positive man. She had been taking care of her brother Vic for years after he was diagnosed, she didn't want the same to happen to her son. Brian was also worried but he couldn't remember Michael ever being happier.

"So does that mean you're staying home and playing nursemaid?" he asked trying not to sound put out.

"Nope, Ben said he wanted me to go out and have fun. Hanging out in a hospital for almost a week was emotionally exhausting. Ma's going to check in on him, even if he doesn't want it." Michael laughed and it sounded good. The past week Michael had been upset about Ben's condition in the hospital, but now Ben was recovering and Mikey could take a night to relax.

Debbie came over and took their orders. She had been quieter than usual today, he was suspicious. Once she was putting their orders in he decided to do something he hated…make small talk.

"What's up with your mother?" he asked Michael. The man scowled in return.

"She's seeing that cop again. Apparently they are going to dinner tomorrow and she is going to meet two of his kids."

"Why aren't you going?"

"I passed on the festivities. I don't see any reason to make nice with the homophobe. If she wants meet his kids and have a grand ol' time, that's her problem."

Brian let it go, he wasn't going to point out that Michael wanted Debbie to accept Ben but he was refusing the cop at every turn. That was something he would have to work out himself.

"How's the business, Theodore?" Not that he really cared, he just wanted Michael to stop pouting.

"Good, I'm thinking about expanding the site. Since Emmett left for George, I need another draw," Ted said blandly.

Ted could even make porn sound depressing, it was his gift. He had almost lost his business before it started but Emmett had saved him. Then Emmett met George and retired. It was really sickening to watch, Emmett fawning all over the crypt keeper. He just hoped to be long gone before he could get that old.

Brian turned the trick so he was facing the wall. Babylon was packed as usual though the backroom seemed to have less regulars in it. The trick moaned as Brian pushed the man's tight jeans down. He quickly put the condom on, the guy's moans started to annoy him. He took the guy quick and fast, he wanted to get back out on the floor. He needed to be seen, it was all about show. If there were fewer people in the backroom there were fewer watching him. On the dance floor he'd be worshipped, he loved the feeling of that kind of admiration. If he saw a shrink they would say it was because he felt like his parents never validated or loved him. Since he already knew that he saved the money and spent it on clothes.

He went to the bar to get another drink. Michael, Ted and Emmett were leaning against it. Emmett seemed to making the best of his last few nights before leaving on his trip with George.

"He doesn't even look legal to be here," Ted said.

"That's the way of twinks, they look young but he's probably old enough. Maybe," Emmett added.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Brian asked.

"The new go-go dancer," Michael said, pointing to one of the raised platforms.

All Brian could see was the dancers bubble butt in tight white shorts. The guy had a headful of shaggy blonde hair. For a moment he thought the guy looked familiar. But all he saw was the back of him, but what he did see was gorgeous. He could tell the guy was short and thin, with pale skin shining from the lights. He wasn't muscular or built but compact, he almost reminded Brian of someone.

All the air rushed out of his lungs with the kid turned around. He was met by the familiar angelic face of a kid he left behind in Florida. He didn't know how or why the kid was here. One thing he was sure of, he might break his no-repeats rule to have him again.

He watched the kid sway and dance while guys watched him. There wasn't a lot of guys watching him because he was on a platform and not the bar. But he had garnered some because of his youthful, innocent face while dancing like he was made for it. His body moved with ease and style. Brian's eyes locked with the kid's when the kid looked down into the crowd. For a second Brian felt his heart sped up, then the kid's face went blank and he turned around again. Well, that was that.