- Text Size +

 

 

Ruby's was a small Italian restaurant near his childhood home. Justin had been there a lot for special occasions. He was nervous about meeting his dad's girlfriend or whatever she was. His dad deserved to be happy. The man worked overtime and second jobs just to put him through school.

Daphne was dressed in a simple blue dress. It wasn't her usual way of dressing. She was more a jeans and blouse kind of girl. She had told him they were going to wear their best clothes. So he was in a light blue button up shirt with black dress pants. When Daphne saw him she had rolled her eyes. He wasn't the most fashion forward person but he wasn't a complete hopeless case.

"Justin," Elaina, the hostess, gushed when she saw him.

"Hey, Elaina. Is my dad here yet," he said as he gave her a hug.

Elaina was the owner's mother, she always had a ready smile for everyone. Her son Daniel had bought the restaurant from his father. Justin never cared for the senior Turano. They got divorced about the same time as Justin started driving.

Elaina led them to a table where his father and sister were already seated. His sister was in jeans and a green and silver top. He started to feel overdressed, and for that he sent a glare at Daphne.

"You're on time," Molly, his sister said.

"Your faith in me is astounding," he said playfully.

"So where is the mystery woman?" Daphne asked.

"She just called me, she is running a little late. I want all three of you to be on your best behavior," his dad said sternly.

All three of them burst out laughing. If anyone was going to stick his foot in his mouth it would be his dad. The man had a knack for it.

"So tell us about her," Justin prompted.

"Well, I met her at the PFLAG meeting. She is the chapter chairperson. She has a grown son, her brother lives with her." His dad paused and looked like he was debating something.

Whatever it was they didn't get to hear because they were interrupted by a flash of color. Justin froze looking at the colorful woman beaming down at them. Not only was her dress loud so was her hair. It was red, curly and big. He never pictured his dad with someone so…busy.

Daphne and Molly seemed to be just as stunned as he was. His dad on the other hand looked at her like she was his dream come true.

"Kids this is Debbie Novotny. Debbie, the strawberry blond is my daughter Molly, and the blond is my son Justin. The one that looks like she is biting her tongue is Daphne, she was over my house so much growing up she is an honorary family member."

Debbie laughed. "I got one of those too."

She took the seat to the right of his dad and the left of Molly.

"So your dad tells me you run track," Debbie said to Molly.

Molly had always been into sports. She had many medals and trophies, they joined C.J.'s and Vicky's. C.J. was a cornerback and his team to state his senior year. Vicky's team went to state with softball, all three years she participated. Justin was the only one without sports trophies. But he did have many awards from his art work.

"Yeah, my best in the 440 in 61 seconds but I hope to break a minute soon," Molly boosted.

Justin rolled his eyes, jocks always were a little full of themselves.

He tuned them out and starting thinking about a piece he was working on. The work was still in his studio at school. He was brought out of his thoughts by Daphne snapping her fingers in his face.

"He does that sometimes when he doesn't have interest in the conversation," Daphne said.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, feeling guilty about being caught zoning out.

"Justin, your dad tells me you're going to Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts. That's amazing you must be really talented," she gushed. It made him feel a little uncomfortable. He was good at what he did but no one talked about it so highly, especially someone who hadn't even seen his work.

"What does your son do?" he asked to get attention off of him.

"Michael owns his own comic book store. His boyfriend is a professor at Carnegie Mellon," Debbie bragged.

"Really? What does he teach?" Daphne asked enthusiastically.

"I'm not really sure, hon. His name is Ben Bruckner."

"Oh, I don't know him," Daphne said dejectedly.

"Aww, poor Daph, thought she had an in with a professor." His best friend was the perpetual teacher's pet.

"So did I pass the test?" Debbie asked near the end of dinner.

"Anyone would be better than your predecessor," Justin muttered.

He felt the air grow tense in the room. He had never made it a secret that he didn't like his dad' ex.

The woman also didn't make it a secret she didn't like him. It wasn't until an argument that led to her smacking him, hard, on the face. His dad had come in just at the right moment. Now he wasn't a saint so he didn't tell his dad he called the woman a pathetic piece of trash who would open her legs for anyone. In truth, he was trying to provoke her to act out. He didn't have a good feeling about her and wanted her gone. Once his dad saw the hit, she was gone. Justin didn't in the least feel bad or guilty that she was gone.

"Justin," his dad said warningly.

"Sorry," he said quickly apologizing.

"Shit, kiddo you don't need to keep apologizing," Debbie said loudly.

Justin gaped at her. He looked at his dad, who never allowed foul language, but his dad was smiling at her.

When he recovered he laughed for the first time that night. He had to admit he liked the woman's brusque way about her.

"Holy shit, Sunshine," she said suddenly.

He looked at her a little confused, unsure what she was talking about.

"What?"

She just laughed and started talking about the diner she worked at. The rest of the dinner went well. Debbie kept calling him Sunshine, which soon he got used to. When he started to try and pay for his and Daphne's meal his father waved him off. When he tried to insist Debbie told him to put his fucking wallet back in his fucking pants; it cut off any argument he had.

He left feeling better than he thought about his dad's new relationship. The woman was brash but truly a sweet and kind person. He hoped things worked out for his dad this time, the man deserved his happily ever after.

 




 

Justin didn't know Babylon would be so busy during a weekday. It was Tuesday night and the crowd was almost as big as it had been Saturday. It was his third day of his new job. He felt empowered for the first time, it was strange to think that. But it was true, for once in his life he felt in control; he chose who got his attention, and he chose who didn't.

That that led to him purposefully ignoring a certain tall brunet with hazel eyes. The man hadn't come up to him and to try and talk yet. But there were times he could feel someone staring at him, more than usual. That's when he would lock eyes with Brian before the older man took another trick into the backroom. It was almost like a game to the man, or at least a fuck you to Justin.

The first time he saw Brian he thought he was imagining the man. It was the second time he saw him, he knew then he wasn't a figment of his imagination. Brian seemed to be in his element at the club. He had guys all over him, most he turned down. He only went with the hottest, brawniest guys Justin had ever seen. That meant the night he was with Justin he must have been really slumming it.

He groaned when he saw Gary waiting for him in the dressing room. Justin still thought the man was a perv, he just didn't have any proof. The only good thing was that he didn't really seem to care one way or the other about Justin. But he did see how the man treated his other dancers, it was vile. When he talked to another dancer about it the guy said it was just business. That was never the kind of business Justin wanted.

"Taylor," Gary called to him.

At work he went by Taylor, he didn't want his last name to get around. The only one who knew his real name was Gary because of his paperwork. Gary was okay with calling him Taylor though.

"Hey, Gary," he said giving his best fake smile.

"I need you to work tomorrow night. I know it's your day off but Kyle quit today. I need you to cover."

"I get to dance on the bar?" he asked excitedly. Dancing on the bar was the best place to dance. You could make hundreds in one night.

"Don't be stupid. I'm moving Lee from a platform to the bar. It's still the same job just more hours, which means you'll get more pay." Justin couldn't argue with that.

"Sure, I'll work." Daphne wasn't going to like it. They had barely spent any time together in the last week.

"Great, kiddo," Gary said as he ran a hand through Justin's hair. Justin did everything in his power not to grimace at the gesture.

As he left Babylon he could hear footsteps behind him. He sped up his pace but the footsteps sped up too. Before he knew what happened a jeep pulled up beside the sidewalk; it came to a screeching halt.

"Wanna ride?" a familiar voice asked. It was a voice that haunted his fantasies.

Stepping to the passenger's side window he leaned down. "What are you doing here Brian?"

"Driving home," Brian answered with a devilish smirk.

"I mean here in Pittsburgh," he clarified.

"I live here, you?"

"Same. What are the odds?" Justin said more to himself.

"You need a ride home?" Brian asked. Justin was about to tell him to fuck off until he remembered the footsteps.

"That would be really nice of you," he said, trying to be polite even though he wasn't feeling it.

Justin opened the car door and slid in. After telling Brian where to drive they settled into awkward silence. He really didn't know what to say to the man who not only broke his heart but eviscerated it. It was only one night but it had been the best night of his life. He knew he sounded juvenile whining about one lost night.

Once they had reached his apartment, Brian shocked him by following him up without an invitation. As soon as the door was open Brian pushed him up against the door before moving him inside and shutting it.

Justin didn't fight it, didn't even consider pushing the man away. What he did was wrap his legs around Brian's waist. Brian devoured his mouth, rutting against him, pushing him hard back into the door.

Brian pulled his mouth away and started to kiss down Justin's jaw. He was slowly lowered to the floor and his clothes taken off by the older man. Justin was moved to the couch where he was soon bent over it. Brian was still wearing his clothes but Justin could hear a packet being opened.

Justin was quickly prepared with the lube from the small packet. It was nothing like the time prior where Brian took his time doing everything. He turned his head to see Brian undoing his pants. It took everything in him not to groan in ecstasy at the sight. Another packet was opened, this time it was the condom.

They weren't even close to quiet in this coupling. They weren't as loud as Justin had heard some of the guys in the dressing room at Babylon. But they weren't church mice either.

They had just found their releases when a gasp from the hallway caught his attention. Daphne was standing in the hallway with wide eyes. His face reddened at being caught in the act by his best friend.

Justin didn't know what to think. A half hour ago he was having the time of his life with Brian. Brian had quickly taken off after Daphne ran out. Now he was waiting for Daphne to come back home or at least call. Then it dawned on him that she didn't take her phone. She had just run out in her pajamas after grabbing her car keys, she didn't even have shoes on.

He knew it was rude to have sex in the living room, but really she had sex with him five feet away. Too worried to even sketch he just sat and waited. The sun was peeking through the blinds when the keys finally jingled in the lock.

Jumping up he met Daphne coming through the door.

"Where were you?" he demanded.

"We need to talk." Her voice was calm and steady.

Panic and fear started to build in his chest. He wasn't ashamed to admit he was afraid of what she was going to say. He knew all of her faces and the emotions that match. Whatever she was going to say was going to hurt, and nothing he could say was going to change it.

She walked over to the couch, looked down at it and scowled. Then she walked to the other side of the room and sat at their small kitchen table. Following her, he sat in the other chair.

"I want the truth, the complete truth. Why did you have sex with me in Alabama?"

The question shocked him, he wasn't expecting to talk about it. The whole thing was over and done with, at least he thought it was.

"We were drunk," he said slowly.

"No, that's not why. What did you feel when I brought Brad to the hotel room?" Her voice was solid.

"Nothing, I thought it was a little rude." He knew now he was being a hypocrite.

"Did it make you jealous?"

He thought about it. Did Daphne having sex with Brad make him jealous? That was easy. No. Her being connected at the hip with the guy for two days was another thing.

"No."

"Did you sleep with me just to keep me trailing behind you?" Her face was a mask of anger.

"What? Of course not," he answered hastily.

"I'm going to talk and you're going to listen. Okay?" He nodded his head, he knew better than to argue with her. "This is what I think happened. I think a year ago, I asked my best friend to have sex with me. I wanted to my first time to be with someone who mattered, someone who would always be in my life. After that things got a little confused in my head. I saw you being able to perform as a sign that maybe you weren't as gay as you thought. You know like maybe you were bi or something.

"But then I found out I was pregnant. You were there for me and even said you would go with whatever I decided. When I had the miscarriage you were there for me again. It took months for our relationship to get back to normal. To where I wasn't waiting for you to love me like I wanted."

Justin started to feel uncomfortable about the direction this was going. He didn't want to talk about it. It all was over and done with.

"Then we go on spring break. I met someone who likes me, wants me. At least he did for a while. I'll admit that I was with Brad in the room with you to see if you would get jealous. You didn't and you did, I know that. You don't care who I sleep with. It was the fear that I would have someone special in my life, someone more important than you. You were scared I would leave you. Weren't you?" she demanded.

He glared at her, he wasn't going to confirm or deny. If she wanted to have a rant-feast that was up to her. He didn't have to add into it.

"You can't even admit it can you? Did you or did you not sleep with me to keep me hanging onto you?" Her voice had lost its calmness.

There was no way he was going to admit anything to her. If she wanted to think that, it was her problem.

"Are you attracted to me?" she asked in a quieter voice, almost a whisper.

He wanted to lie, he wanted to make everything right again. To have her there for him. It was wrong and he knew it but he was so scared of losing her.

"No," he answered honestly.

"Are you attracted to any women?" she asked making a grab for his hands that were resting on the table.

He shook his head. He wasn't attracted to women. There were women he knew were pretty or beautiful, Daphne being the best but he didn't have those feelings for any woman. Men were attractive to him, Brian at the top of that list. Sex with Daphne had been just sex, and the whole time it felt so wrong, both times.

"You are terrified of being abandoned again. It didn't start with Craig Taylor. First it was your mother dying, following by the only other loving presence in your life, your grandfather. Then Craig abandoned you at a park with an order to take care of your baby sister. You were only four years old and abandoned by everyone you ever known, even if most was from death. Then C.J. turned his back on you when you needed him the most. His abandonment probably was the most damaging.

"You are so scared that I'm going to abandon you too, that you betrayed both of us in the process."

He couldn't keep his mouth shut anymore. She was bringing up things better left alone. "You initiated sex both times, not me. In the hotel room you jumped me. Instead of pushing you away I gave in. We had both been hurt. I'm so fucking sorry that I thought it would make you feel better," he shouted.

"Feel better?" she screeched. "You think that having my mind played with by my best friend made me feel better? You are delusional, you know that right?"

Daphne was standing now, he was too. They were facing off against each other. Both breathing heavily, the anger in the room was palpable.

"You felt me slipping away. You knew it might not have worked out with Brad but it may with the next guy. Hell, I may move in with the next guy. You can't handle not being my one and only. There is only one problem, you don't want me like that. I can't handle this anymore; I thought I could. But then I walked in on you and some random guy."

"We're not a couple," he said in his defense.

"I know that, and I accepted that. But you can't keep playing this game when you feel like you're losing me." Her voice was quieter now, tears running freely down her face.

"But I am, aren't I? That's what this talk is about, you're leaving me?" He wasn't in love with her like she needed someone to be, but he did love her. She was his best friend, confidant and biggest supporter. He had held on to her too tight, betrayed both of them in the process. He knew it was his fault, he knew at the time he was crossing a line. He wanted to blame it on the alcohol but he knew it wasn't. It was his need not to be abandoned again.

"This isn't a healthy situation for either of us. You have to see that. You're gay and I'm straight. That wouldn't matter except we've been playing with the line here. I'm transferring to Brown, I got accepted but chose to stay with you. I think we need this separation for us both to grow. We are too dependent on each other. I'm not abandoning you, I promise, I'll be back."

He stiffened when she threw her arms around his neck. Everything he was afraid would happen, was happening.

"School year's not over yet? So you'll stay here until end of the school year?" he asked, clinging to the glimmer of hope.

She shook her head. "I think it's best if I stay with my parents until summer," she said sadly.

"How will I afford the apartment?" he asked, hoping get her to see leaving would be a mistake.

"You're making enough now to cover both our halves, remember? You can always get another roommate. Please, fourteen years is long enough. It's time for us to grow up."

"You mean grow apart," he said.

"Maybe that's for the best, you'll always be my best friend," she whispered into his ear.

The next day he watched as her dad and brother came over to move her stuff. He didn't say anything to them, and they didn't try and talk to him. Whatever she had told them it was obvious she was taking the blame. Even now after what he had done, she was still protecting him.

He knew he really would need a roommate to make it work. He quickly wrote roommate ad and posted it on the board at school.

Hopefully she would find what she was looking for, and still want to be his friend when she found it.