- Text Size +

 


 


"She's so little," Molly gushed as she sat on his bed holding Briana.


"I know, I still can't believe she's here."


He was still setting up his childhood bedroom. It wasn't that he planned on staying that long but it was better to be organized with a newborn, he had learned that at Brian's.


"I can't believe I'm an aunt," she cooed at the baby.


"You've been an aunt since you were six years old," he pointed out.


"I know but I've only seen them much. I'm not going to let Briana out of my sight. You're going to miss a lot of school," he teased.


"I'll be out for winter break in a week anyway."


Briana started to whimper, she was working herself up to a good cry.


"Okay, time for you to go back to your daddy," she said, handing Briana over like she was a bomb.


"She just probably needs her diaper changed. Don't you want to try that out?" He laughed out loud as Molly ran out the door.


"Aww, Briana, don't cry. Let's get you changed, maybe see what the chef has for dinner. I bet formula for you and cold pizza for me."


After moving back into the house the first thing he did was piss off his father and Debbie. When he walked into the house Debbie tried to take Briana out of his arms. He might have yelled and scared them. It was just that he didn't want her to be taken from him as soon as he walked in. It had been a fear when he agreed to move back in until after the first of the year.


His dad bitched him out and then went to Debbie's house with her. Apparently, he was supposed to be meek and stupid. But he hadn't been that since he woke up, even with his regained memory. He refused to be that sad sack again, if there was anything he learned from Brian it was to be his own man. There was an innocent baby that depended on him, he wouldn't fail her. He knew he overrated with Debbie but he was going on almost no sleep. He thought they would come back but it had been almost a week.


So now it was just him, Briana and Molly at the house; not that he was complaining. It was quite harmonious in the house with just them. Molly left him alone for the most part, just when she would want to get baby cuddles she would come in.


As he was considering calling Debbie and his dad to apologize his phone went off.


"Hello," he said without looking at who was calling.


"Can't you tell me why there are diaper wipes and two baby sleepers in my loft?" Brian asked.


Justin closed his eyes as he heard the man speak. He had no idea why the man had such an effect on him.


"I'm sorry, I was really stupid. I went back to your loft after the baby was born. She and I stayed there for a week."


"Where the hell are you then?"


It almost sounded like Brian wanted him there. Almost.


"My dad's, I realized I didn't have your permission to stay there with her."


"Her?"


"Yep, it wasn't a boy. She is gorgeous, Brian."


"So who does she looks like?" There was the Brian he knew and loved.


"She looks like a baby," he bit out.


"Whatever, so you coming to Babylon tonight?"


Justin pulled the phone away from his ear and blinked at it. Was Brian really serious?


"Brian I can't, I have a baby to take care of."


"So what that means you can't have a life anymore?" Brian sounded pissed, why Justin know.


"She's only a little over two weeks old," he tried to explain.


"I thought you would have people bending over backwards to watch the baby. Debbie told me herself how excited she was to have a grandchild."


If that didn't make Justin feel more like a heel. He really would have to apologize for being so over-emotional.


"I kind of pissed my dad and Debbie off. She wanted to take the baby as soon as I walked through the door, I sort of blew up at her," he admitted guiltily.


"Sunshine, Sunshine, Sunshine what I'm I going to do with you. You should have expected her to want to steal the kid." He didn't miss the disappointment in Brian's voice.


"Okay, you can't go out but why don't you just bring the rug rat here for the night."


"Brian, you don't have anything for her there."


"Just pack the stuff you'll need tonight, I get Gus's crib from storage."


"You have a crib for Gus?" That surprised him.


"Of course I do, but I'm not going to leave it up when he's not here." The duh was a given.


Another thought occurred to him. "What about your boyfriend?"


"What the hell are you talking about?" Brian asked darkly.


"You have a message from him on your phone."


Justin listened as Brian went to his machine and pushed the play. He heard the message that tore him up inside again.


"What. The. Fuck."


"Brian?" Something hit the floor with a loud crash.


"MOTHERFUCKER!"


Justin kept quiet while Brian ranted and raved for a good five minutes. Soon everything went deadly quiet.


"Brian?" he said again when he heard Brian's breathing on the other end again.


"Listen carefully, are you listening?"


"Yes."


"I fucked up and fucked the son of the CFO. I didn't get the account and now this fucker is calling me constantly. I don't know how he got my home number because I never gave him a card. I'm probably going to lose my job. So want to come over?"


Justin knew Brian needed someone, why he didn't call Michael he didn't know. He worried about bringing Briana over, but maybe baby cuddles would be good for Brian too.


"I'm packing an overnight bag for us. I'll be over in an hour."


"Do you need me to pick you up?"


"No, I bought my own car. I needed one now I have the baby."


"Okay, see you in an hour."


Brian disconnected with Justin, cursing himself he started cleaning up the mess he made. That asshole Fallon was ruining his life. One stupid fucking mistake, letting his dick make decisions for him. He had already heard from Gardner, he was as a good as fired.


Why did he invite Justin and the brat over? Well he knew why he wanted Justin. There he went again thinking with his dick. He should call Justin back and tell him not to bother. Instead he grabbed his keys and headed for his storage unit.


Justin was just finishing up packing a bag for him and Briana when his dad came home. He was so shocked to see him he forgot to apologize right away. It was the look his dad gave that reminded him of his need to say he was sorry.


"Look, Dad, I'm really sorry about how I acted. I hadn't sleep well the whole week. I overacted, I'm sorry."


"It's alright, kid. Both Deb and I have had newborns. You can't really been held accounted about snippy attitudes until they are at least six months old."


Justin sighed in relief. "If you didn't hate me why have you stayed gone?" He tried not to be hurt by their abandonment.


"You're a new father, a new father that seems to want to do it all himself. We didn't want to be in your way. I feel better with you here, so I tried to make it as welcoming as possible. That seemed to mean that we shouldn't be here. If that was the wrong conclusion than I'm sorry."


He knew that everyone was walking on eggshells around him. They did that before he took a bat to the head and they still did. The only person who never treated him with kid gloves was Brian. Maybe that was why he was so drawn to the man.


"Where are you going?" his dad asked when he noticed the bag.


"Brian invited us over to spend the night. I think he really needs me tonight."


"Justin, you're a father. You can't just run off to your boyfriend's house on a whim."


"You ran off to Debbie's for a whole week. Molly is still a minor."


"Molly is sixteen and had her older brother here. Briana is a baby, a newborn at that. She doesn't need to be dragged around."


"I'm not dragging her around. I'm spending the night with a friend. I'm an adult now." He knew it was juvenile to say as soon as it came out of his mouth.


"You will follow the rules as long as you live under my roof."


"Well, I guess that's all there is to say," Justin said calmly. The Justin before the head injury would be crushed at his father's words. "I'll be back tomorrow for the rest of our things."


"Now, what a minute Justin. Don't act in the heat of the moment. Go to Brian's tonight, calm down and we'll talk when you aren't so emotional."


He looked at his father with shock. He had calmly told his father that he would leave. His dad was the one yelling and carrying on like a maniac.


Instead of continuing the fight he just felt done. "Bye Dad."


With one hand he picked up the bag he packed and with the other he picked up Briana who was in her carrier. He was out the door and driving towards Brian's loft before he realized he forgot his phone. But he'd be damned if he turned and went back now.


Brian had just put the crib back up when he heard the lift. He had gotten good at taking the thing apart and putting it back together. He wondered who the baby did take after, but Justin had been too pissed to tell him. That probably meant she was the spitting image of the other guy.


He walked to the door to let Justin in; it wasn't easy to maneuver a baby and an overnight bag. Justin put the carrier and bag down as soon as he was through the door.


"I have to piss, can you get her out of there? She is working herself up to a good cry."


The kid didn't wait for a reply he shot off to the bathroom. Brian looked down at the whimpering baby in the carrier. She was just a tad lighter skinned than Daphne. She had blue eyes but so did Gus when he was a baby, he had hazel now. She was a cute thing, just like her father. He had a knack for seeing through the bullshit to the truth. In that moment he knew who the child's father was. He just didn't have it in him to tell Justin.


"Sorry about that, I was going to use the restroom before I left. That was thrown out the window when my dad came home."


"What happened with the good detective?" Brian asked, the baby was sniffling into his shoulder. He was glad he changed into a t-shirt and jeans when he came in.


"She seems to like you," Justin said smiling.


"Everyone likes me, I'm likable."


"Sure, that's what everyone says. Brian Kinney the most likable guy in Pittsburgh."


Brian smirked at the blonde. "Take your brat back."


Justin playfully scowled at Brian before holding Briana close. "I fed her before I packed. She should be good for another hour or so."


"God, she's got your appetite already. So what did you name the thing?" Brian grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge.


"Oh, where are my manners. Brian Kinney, I'd like to you met Briana Rea Horvath."


Brian spit the water he just had in his mouth out. "You've got to be fucking kidding me?"


"Nope, met your namesake."


Brian just stared at the blonde like he was crazy, naming his kid after Brian maybe he was.