- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

A/N: OK well here it is! The Diner scene! I wanted to do this to work Debbie in and then when I finally got there, I totally blocked up! It didn't turn out at all how I wanted and I'm very disappointed with it. Sorry, if it is not very good. Let me know! PLEASE REVIEW!

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST


Chapter 8


17 days later...


Justin Remembers


PART 3: The Diner



   It was déjà vu all over again.


   The door opened, the little bell ding-a-linged and Justin walked into the Freedom Diner that was...mostly empty. This time a few booths were occupied and a few stools were taken but otherwise it was not too busy. And behind the counter, pouring coffee with one hand and watching the TV with one eye, dressed in that same green and white uniform, her frizzy red wig all over the place was...


   "Beddy! How are you?" asked Justin.


   "JUSTIN!! IT'S YOU! You're still alive! Oh thank God! I was praying so hard!"


   Beddy finished pouring the coffee and dropped the carafe onto the counter. The customer lifted the cup to his lips...


   Beddy lifted open a section of counter and dropped it without looking as she ran towards Justin. The counter whacked the customer in the shoulder and knocked him off the stool. The coffee cup went flying and smashed somewhere.


   The counter section slammed down and dinged against the coffee carafe. It went sliding toward the edge of the counter where it teetered...teetered... Justin winced. At this point, Beddy had flown into his arms.


   The carafe fell, splashing hot coffee all over the downed customer and smashing into a zillion pieces.


   "YOOOOWWWW!!!!!" screamed the customer.


   "Thank God you're alive," Beddy sobbed.


   "Of course I'm alive. Why wouldn't I be?" asked Justin, "Uhhh....shouldn't we..."


   "Oh, that's just Earl! Tell me! How? How did you escape?"


   "Oh yes, don't mind me! I'm just fine thank you! I especially like being doused in scalding coffee and surrounded by broken glass!" broke in Earl.


   Justin ran over to help. "Hmmmmm, stay still sir. I think it would be better if we swept some of the glass away first. Are you injured?"


   "I don't think so," answered Earl. "Except for a slight, horrible BURNING SENSATION!!"


   "Sorry sir. Anyway Beddy, I didn't escape from anywhere. Brian and I are friends."


   "Glad to have that clarified. Although I did think we were getting to a stage that was a bit more than friends," came a deep voice, "Why on earth would you think I needed escaping from!?" Brian asked Beddy. He had come in without a sound; he must have stopped the bell with his hand.


   Everyone whirled. (Except Earl.)


   "Brian! I thought I told you to wait outside! I was going to introduce you!" Justin said.


   Beddy's face had gone white as a sheet.* She held her heart. "Oh Lord! The Beast! In my Diner!" She hid behind Justin. Oh, it's the B...the B...the B..."


   The name's Brian Kinney. I'm afraid the name is not pleasant to you," Brian said, coming towards them and holding out his hand. Beddy only cowered further behind Justin.


   "I came in...because I was watching through the window. I saw that it would probably take a while to be "introduced" and by that time someone might end up in intensive care," Brian said in his dry way. He gave up on Beddy and strode over to Earl. He grabbed him by the back of the collar and lifted him bodily out of the glass and onto his feet.


   "Oh thank you Sir! Thank Y - Y - Y - Yaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!! It's the BEEEEAASST!!!!" he screamed as soon as he saw the shiny black mask of the one who had helped him. And still screaming, he ran out of the Diner and down the street.


   "Such friendly, grateful townsfolk! And you wonder why I hold them in such high esteem," Brian said sarcastically as he sat down at a booth.


   "Now Brian! You know you only have yourself to blame," Justin reproved gently as he sat across from him.


   Brian made a face. Justin made a face back at him.


   "Oh! Are you wanting to eat here!?" Beddy asked in surprise.


   "What else does one do in a Diner? Get their hair done?" Brian quipped, already bored with the whole thing.


   "Brian! You promised!" Justin scolded. Then to Beddy, he said, "Yes, we're here for breakfast and then repay you for whatever I ate when I arrived."


   "Oh you don't have to do that!" Beddy said quickly.


   "I know," Brian said, still bored, "But he wouldn't let me out of this godforsaken town if I didn't." He jerked a thumb at Justin. "You know, you never did answer my question: WHY would I need escaping from?"


   "Well...If you're going to be so insulting, maybe I just won't answer you!" said Beddy defiantly. She had finally taken in that Brian was dressed elegantly, if not downright mouth-wateringly handsome and not just scary like usual. Besides if Justin wasn't scared of him, why should she be?


   "GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!" the Beast growled at her like a dog.


   "EEEEEPPP!" she squeaked, and jumped lickety-split back behind the counter. Now that they were hidden, she let her knees knock together freely.


   "Beddy, after you get a mop and broom to clean up the glass, can you please bring us a couple of menus? I'm going to have a talk with Brian." Justin asked her gently.


   "OK, Justin...Sure thing...right away!"


   As soon as she was out of earshot, Justin leaned in. "HEY! What's going on here? I thought we had an agreement! No more scaring the locals! And apologize! You promised!"


   "Yes Dear...Whatev..."


   Justin slammed on the table before he could finish.


   They were still staring daggers at each other when Beddy came back with two menus and a mop and bucket. She handed the menus over and said: "Why don't you boys have a look see and choose what you'd like while I have at this."


   While she did that, Brian hid behind a menu and Justin made clearing his throat noises. Brian ignored him.


   Finally, Justin said, "Beddy, I believe Brian has something to speak to you about."


   The menu dropped and if Brian had been staring daggers before, now he was staring Ginsu knives.** Justin just stared back smiling beatifically.


   Beddy approached hesitantly. "Yes, Mr. B...uh, Brian?"


   Brian sighed hugely, as if this were a HUUUUUUUUUGE imposition. "He spoke mechanically, as if he were reading off a card.


   "I want to apologize for scaring you in the past. I want to apologize when I came in here in any especially scary outfits and was mean and nasty in the past. And right now. Old habits die hard. I was...uhh...self conscious about my masks and face and didn't want to make any friends."


   "Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!! I knew it! I just knew you weren't so bad!" And Beddy threw her arms around Brian as much as she could and gave him a hug. "Oh my! You certainly are all hard and muscle under that suit! Which isn't scary at all! But why do you wear the mask?"


   Brian was looking more and more uncomfortable by the second. Justin jumped easily into the void.


   "Brian was in an industrial accident. He has acid burns of part of his face and the rest was horribly burned. He wears the mask because he's self conscious about his looks and doesn't want to scare anyone unnecessarily especially small children who might not understand," he explained untruthfully.


   Brian's brown and golden eyes widened behind his mask.


   "Oh, I see. Well, do you boys see anything you like?"


   "Yes, I think I will have the pancake special.  Brown toast, sausages and poached eggs. Brian?"


   Justin didn't know there was a combination of wonder and disgust, but somehow Brian found it behind his mask. "Uh, yeah...egg white omelet...brown toast...some hash browns are ok, I guess."


   "OK, comin up!" Beddy put the order in the window and got to work mopping up.


   "Say!" she said as she worked, "Now that we're all acquainted like...how bout we plan a party!? A big gala over at the mansion to get the stigma of haunted house off your mansion, Brian! Or...maybe...just a barbeque....or something."


   Brian was staring furiously at his counterpart and pointing and making "MMMMMM---MMMMMM," type noises as if to say, "You see!? You see!?"


   "I'm sorry, Beddy," Justin replied, smoothly, "Brian is an agoraphobic. He's getting therapy but that's why he chose that house up there in the first place. He needs his space and seclusion for the most part but he's getting better. In fact, these visits to town are his therapy. Isn't that right, Brian?" He smiled sweetly.


   Brian stared at him, unable to believe how easily and convincingly the lies slipped off his boy's tongue.


   "Yes," he ground out between clenched teeth. "That's right."


   "Oh my goodness! First scarred and an agoraphobic too! My poor little lamb!" She rubbed his shoulders comfortingly oblivious to the look on Brian's face, which was a good thing. "Well, don't you worry!" She began talking in what she thought was a soothing voice but was one of those slow and enunciated, I'm talking to a disabled person, voices. "This-is-a safe-place! Anytime-you-want...you-come-here! You'll-be-safe-here-and-we'll-give-you-half-off!"


   "We most certainly will not!" yelled a voice from the kitchen.


   "Awww, SHUT UP Randy!" yelled Beddy with righteous anger. "We got a disabled here! I swear if you give me any grief over this, I'll knock your block off!"


   "Brian spoke and it was with great disdain but it held no vitriol as before, "My dear lady, I may be a little phobic but I am hardly disabled. Also, I'm exceedingly wealthy. This...half off thing...will not be necessary."


   "Oh...of course sugar! Of course...Well, I'll get your guys' food now, Kay?" She rubbed his shoulder soothingly, which had no effect and she again totally missed that Brian's expression that was as sour as a lemon as opposed to sweet as the sugar she named him after.


   "Great!" he said dourly, as she ran off. "Now she thinks I'm sort of invalid, thanks to you."


   Justin had been biting his tongue to keep a straight face this whole time. Now he couldn't stop giggling. "Oh relax, Brian! You got what you wanted. Thanks to her and the gossip grapevine, no one will ever come to the house now! Well not without our permission anyway. You'll be ...left alone," he amended, mimicking Brian from that first breakfast.


   Brian opened his mouth to argue, paused, then closed it again. The little twat was right.


B&B&B&B&B&B&B


   It was a little while into their breakfast. Beddy had mopped up; all the while giving Brian watery, awww, ain't he a brave one-type looks. These made Brian gnash his teeth and Justin want to giggle.


   But at last she was done and for a while there was relative peace as Justin wolfed down his huge breakfast and Brian picked at his low carb, low calorie shit. They had the place to themselves now because shortly after Earl had fled the premises, everyone else had ponied up and left as well. And every time there was a dinging of the door bell the person or persons would catch one look at Brian's black and yet tasteful mask, turn right around and head back out again in fear/revulsion. But Brian was unconcerned so Justin followed suit.


   "Hey, I know what!! yelled Beddy, making Justin jump and Brian nearly swallow his fork. "I'm going to Skype with my cousin and introduce you to her!"


   "Madam," said Brian haughtily, "I really don't thing that's..."


   "Yeah, it'll be great!" enthused Beddy, not even hearing Brian as she overrode him. "Justin, I e-mailed her all about you like I said and she told me to contact her if you ever came back! She'll be thrilled that you're still alive!"


   "Of course he's still alive!" Brian strangled his fork in frustration. "Why would he NOT be alive!!!?"


   "Ahem! Ahem!" Justin cleared his throat noisily.


   If it had been alive, the fork would have been turning blue. Brian took a huuuuuugge breath and closed his eyes. There was a pause.


   "Beddy!" Brian burst out in this overly bright and happy voice, "What I meant to say was...now that we're both such good...friends..." he forced out, as if there were a large stone in his throat, "Maybe you could tell me why you seem perennially surprised that my boyfriend is...still alive?"


   Of course, Beddy overlooked anything out of the ordinary. She answered, "Oh, well, I'm sorry, Brian but for the longest time you were only "the Beast" ...boy I sure feel a little silly calling you that now..." She gave a little nervous giggle and petered out.


   Brian just waited in stony silence. Pointedly, he expertly raised one eyebrow.


   "Oh...yes well..." she twttered and hemmed and giggled some more, "Well anyway there were all those other boys who came looking for you and well, none of them ever came back and well, you know, I kind of feared the worst for a while. But since you're here now and Justin's OK, everything else must be OK with those other boys too...right Mr. Brian?"


   "Uh...right...Of course. Everything's fine about them. I was just looking for someone who could be a companion to me in my disabled condition. However, no one measured up until Justin here." Brian said.


   "Oh of course...of course," twittered Beddy, "It's just...well...I never saw them again and we're the closest town and all and...and well....a few of us were wondering...what happened ...to them...." She was twisting a dishcloth in her hands and her face was bright red. You could tell it was taking every ounce of her courage to ask this question from the forbidding  "Beast" himself.


   At the moment, though, Brian felt anything but forbidding. He had no idea what to say. He looked at Justin in horror as she asked her question because before it was halfway out, he knew what it was going to be. And while he was very good at telling people what they needed to believe, it most came out as bossing and directing people at what to believe. He rarely needed to make anything up so he never learned to lie. I mean there was the small stuff like: How are you doing? Oh just fine thanks...But none of the real whoppers.


   Justin caught on to Brian's distress and gave a kind "Oh, that's so silly you're going to laugh too when you hear it" kind of laugh. Then he said with a cheer he didn't feel, "Oh Beddy, well, of course! When you get to know Brian, you'll see just how generous he can be! Every time it didn't work out, Brian sent the young man off in his own personal limo, straight to the nearest airport and then off back home to their hometown lickety split! That's why no-one stopped back here afterwards. Isn't that right...Brian!?" He finished pointedly.


   "Uh....yeah!" Brian wagged his head like a bobble head doll, "Yes that was exactly it!"


   "Oh thank goodness! Oh thank heavens! All those boys, safe and sound! My cousin will be so pleased! And I'm texting with her right now! She's taking a break so you can meet her!" At this point, Justin saw that she was twiddling around with a silver laptop whose brand name he could not quite make out. And then she was lifting the thing and carrying it over to their table. There was a built in webcam at the top of the screen.


   "Who's your cousin?" Brian asked like he didn't really give a cat's crap.


   "Her name's Debbie! She's a waitress just like me! She works in Pittsburgh at the Liberty Diner!" Beddy gabbled,


   Brian nearly swallowed his fork again.


   "That's why I asked the boss here to make the Diner here, the Freedom Diner! It's pretty informal here so he agreed. I want to be just like her in every way!" She pressed the call button.


   "NO!!" yelled Brian.


   But it was too late. The Skype was making its calling noise and then it was being answered and then another red wig was filling the screen.


   "Hiya punkin!" came a familiar screech, "How are ya!? You keepin' all those homophobes out there in the sticks in line for me?!"


   "Hi Debbie! I sure am! There's a lot of that attitude here but they're not allowed to bring it into my place!"


   "Good girl! So where's this Justin? And his man!"


   "Hey that's right! I got my first gay couple to take care of! And just like you Deb, I'm fixing to make this a safe spot for them to come!" She turned the screen toward Justin first. "This is Justin. I thought he was in danger but it turns out I was mistaken! And all those other boys got driven home to their mamas in a limo to the airport! So everything's all right!"


   Justin was faced with red bewigged 50-ish woman who looked kind of plump but otherwise good for her age. She wore too much bright red lipstick and smacked gum noisily as she bent too close to the cam on her end. She was in constant motion and when she moved back he saw she was wearing a rainbow vest and under that a shirt that said: EAT...GAY...LOVE.


   "That's great sugar! So Justin! I almost feel I know you; my cousin was talking about you so much!"


   "I'm flattered. It's good to meet you too. Beddy really looks up to you."


   "Well, thanks sugar! So I hear you're part of the only queer couple in the area! OK, well I shouldn't talk long so I'll keep this brief..."


   "Yeah, that'll be the day!" yelled someone off screen. "How bout some service!" yelled someone else.


   "I'm on a break! If you two queens are hungry why don't you partake of a little protein in the bathroom! You whiners are sure suited for each other!"


   "Now, don't be intimidated where you are! I know there'll be a bunch of homophobic yokels out there, but you just stare ‘em down! And if the heat gets too intense, just head to Beddy's Diner! She'll take care of you and protect you! And don't take any guff from your partner!"


   "Oh don't worry Debbie! I never take guff. And he and I have an agreement regarding any abuse. Don't we, uhhhh....sugar?" Justin was momentarily confused as Brian was making violent slashing motions across his throat. Cut! Cut! Quiet! He was silently screaming.


   "Ohh?? Your partner there? Well, he's a lucky guy! Gorgeous blond hunk like you, must be like having a constant ray of sunshine round the house!"


   "He tells me every day," Justin said sappily, causing Brian to gag violently. And it wasn't exactly untrue. If you considered his scorching hot kisses, him telling him that.


   "Well, let's meet him! Let's have a peep at this paragon!"


   Several things happened at once. Beddy obediently turned the laptop towards Brian who was making increasingly panicked motions not to do so. At the last minute, he made an undignified dive onto his booth seat below the level out of sight. At the same time, there was an outraged shriek from the computer. It was too late.


   "BRIAN!!? BRIAN KINNEY!!? Is that you!? Get your ass out here!!!"


   "Take it easy cuz! He's agoraphobic. He might be shy meeting you!"


   "Agorawhatsa!!? Bullshit! He's been dancing in the crowds of Babylon ever since he could fake an ID! Get your ass out here, Brian!"


   Sheepishly, Brian rose up and faced her. "Hiya Deb!" he said.


   "Don't you hiya me! Where the fuck have you been!!!?"


   "I've been...right here, Brian breezed, as if it were no big deal.


   "Yeah, after taking off in the middle of the night like that! Scarin' everyone half to death. And why are you wearing that mask? Take that damn thing off!"


   "Sorry Deb, the mask stays on. That's non-negotiable. I'm...having some work done. If everything goes ok, I should be back in about 3 months."


   "He was in an accident!" Beddy supplied unhelpfully.


   Deb looked sceptical. Brian winced.


   Bed, hon..." he ground out through clenched teeth, "Do you mind if I have a few minutes alone with your cousin...to catch up?"


   "Oh sure! Sure Mr. Beas...Uh, Mr. Brian! Take as long as you need!"


   "OK, look! Here's the deal!" Brian whispered furiously, once they were alone. "I wasn't in an accident but there are certain things we're telling the locals here to make it...easier for them to understand. As far as they know..." he outlined their cover story. "The truth is, something did happen to me, something...supernatural. No, I can't explain...Not even to you Deb, and no one can see my face...NO-one!" he emphasised until Debbie was convinced of the seriousness of the situation. "And we can't have just anyone coming up to the house, especially unannounced! That's why Justin came up with the agoraphobia angle! It's also better that you don't let on that you've talked to me or tell any of the gang where I am Deb...especially Michael! He'll just want to hunt me down and if he does, he may not live to tell the tale!"


   "It's that serious!?" asked Debbie.


   "Yes. By the way, speaking of Michael, how's my loft?"


   "Oh, don't worry! You're precious Italian furniture is fine!"


   Brian breathed a sigh rof relief.


   "It's Michael I'm worried about. Ever since he moved in there, he's been acting about as snooty as if he were best buds with Robin Leach! Even Ben's getting fed up! If you don't get home soon...."


   "Hey, you know who's not getting fed up? Me!" yelled a voice.


   "Eating's overrated!" screamed Debbie.


   "This is a Diner!" yelled the voice.


   Debbie rolled her eyes. "I'll be right back." They watched her move to the order window, take three plates of food and disappear for a minute. Then: "There! Happy?"


   This isn't my order, you gave my stuff to him!"


   "And he has my order!" yelled two other voices.


   "Deal with it!" yelled Debbie. And then she was back.


   "As I was saying, he's making himself awfully comfortable there. If you don't come home soon, you might have a fight on your hands."


   "Hmmm..." Brian considered this new development.


   Then he shook his head. Sorry Deb, I can't worry about that right now. I'll be back as soon as I can. For now you've got to keep quiet about me. Oh, and you can't let on to Beddy either. Stick to our cover story and don't let on!"


   "But she's a smart gal! Surely, if you just explain..."


   "I can't explain the unexplainable. I just had to dig myself out of a hole to prevent becoming a poor man's Sweeney Todd for Chrissakes! It's imperative that everyone stay away!"


   "Brian that's not true and you know it!" Justin spoke up to everyone's surprise.


   "Whadd'ya mean, Sunshine!?" asked Debbie, smacking her gum noisily.


   "Brian, you're letting your own fear cloud your judgement. With a little planning and preparation, we could easily have a party,"


   "Now, I like this one! Don't screw this up, asshole! And I'll be calling back, so if I hear you've broken his heart, I'll break your balls!"


   "Yes, mother," Brian snarked, "Besides, you needn't worry. The moment I saw his picture, I knew he was the one. The best and most beautiful thing I ever saw. And I deserve only the best!"


   Justin's face did a strange thing, a kind of hitch, a gasp, his smile faltered a bit. But then it was back, as sunshine bright as ever.


   "OK, Deb, back to work," someone said.


   "All right, I gotta bolt..."


   "Bout fucking time!" Someone yelled.


   "Oh, shut up! I'm coming!" To Brian she said, "Tell Beddy, I'll call her later, when things have died down here. OK, Brian, I'll keep your secret for now but I expect to see you back here in three months or at least hear from you! If not, I'm calling out the troops!"


   "Deal!" Brian said quickly. He'd take what he could get and besides, if the worst happened, no manner of "troops" would find him.


   "All right, who's first!? Yeah, yeah, I see you! Hey you, I saw that! I'm getting to you last and if you don't like that, you can KISS MY..."


   Justin disconnected.


B&B&B&B&B&B&B


   After breakfast, with Beddy doubly paid back, Brian made one more stop and went into a store by himself. He claimed it was a surprise. When he came back, he presented Justin with a shiny, black cell phone. He showed him the one he had gotten for himself as well.


   This way, if I need you, or you want to stay upstairs painting, or you want or need me or miss me at any time, we can keep in touch," Brian explained.


   "If I want you?" Justin asked for confirmation.


   "Yes."


   "If I need you?"


   "Yes."


   "If I miss you?"


   "Yes. Justin, what's the problem?"


   "It's just....I might never want to get off the phone then," Justin said coyly.


   Brian growled and moved in for a killer kiss. They both moaned.


   Brian's hands got a little careless. They moved up and down and then up and seriously down south.


   Justin slapped his hands away. "Hands above the waist, mister!"


   "Rats!" Brian said.


B&B&B&B&B&B&B


   The cell phone rang and rang and rang in the silence. Finally it stopped.


   There was a few minutes of silence. Then: Riiiiing.....Riiiiiiing....


   Justin sighed. He knew if he did not answer it, the beast would just keep calling and calling and calling and then eventually show up at his door banging on it as if to beat the devil, even though...


   Justin sighed. Even the "even thoughs" didn't matter now. The Beast would find a way to him no matter what.


   Justin gave a weary sigh. He reached over and picked up the phone off the bedside table. He answered it in mid ring.


   "Hello?" he answered in a weary, disdainful voice.


TBC


 

Chapter End Notes:

PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!!!

A/N: OK, the total word count for this entire chapter excluding notes and titles was.....9, 975! Phewwww! Which is why I split it up! So...how am I doing in the mysterious elements dept.? I have been learning from my fellow writers and have been fighting temptation to put in any clues or allusions and have even had to take some out so I hope you guys are properly stymied about things. Next chapter will be about Brian's memories about the past 17 days and will include IT....stay tuned!

 

*This joke/wordplay happened at the last second. I didn't plan it but when it did, I couldn't resist.

 

**I'm sure most of you do, but in case you don't know, Ginsu knives are a special brand of knives that you have to order by mail and are advertised and renowned for their extra and even extreme sharpness and precision.