- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

A/N: I'm back! Sorry this took so long. Again was very hard to write and boring (for me) to boot. Next one will be better. Warning: Evil cliffie ahead! PLEASE REVIEW and give me feedback if you like or hate anything about the story. It helps me a lot. Thank you.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Chapter 14

Back at Home

Back in Pittsburgh:

   "Justin! How are you darling!? I wish you had let me come pick you up!"

   "There was no need, mother. The gallery had arranged everything days ago. The limo ride was most pleasant." Justin said as he let himself be enfolded into her embrace and then led into the house as if he were a guest rather than a long lost family member.

   "Well come in! Come in! You have to tell me all about it! How on earth did you escape!? MOLLY!!!" she screamed suddenly, right next to his ear. "Your brother's home! Come say hi!"

   "Mother! Geez! Take it easy! And it was rough at first. But I didn't escape. He let me go. Practically shoved me out the door," he said regretfully, in remembrance.

   "Let you go? But I don't understand! He made such a big issue about having you? Why would he let you go?"

   Good God! Had she always been this shrill, this grating? What had happened? It had only been a few months. Had he been the one to change in that time? Or maybe a short time away from what he was used to had opened his eyes to what he had been used to as the status quo.

   "Mother, please! I just got in! Give me a little while to unwind and besides Molly's coming! We'll talk about this later, ok?"

   And then there was a thumping and clumping down the stairs and next moment there was squealing and flying hair and his arms were full of little sister.

   "Mollusk! It's good to see you too! Of course I brought you something! You know I wouldn't forget you!"

B&B&B&B&B&B&B&B

Later:

   Justin had taken a shower and changed from his travel worn clothes and unpacked a bit. Molly was outside playing with a friend.

   Justin and his mother sat down in the living room where they could talk in comfort and privacy.

   "SO!?? What happened? How have you been doing? WHAT have you been doing all this time? How did you esc - uhhh - get here? And why would he let you go!?"

   "Mom, please! I can only answer one question at a time! And to answer one of them, I'm fine! I've been doing fine. He treated me very well. He made it quite clear he wanted me as lover but I made him wait till I was 18. And since then, we've gotten very close. He's changed a lot from the man who was threatening to you. He's a lot kinder nowadays...gentler. He's made me...very happy."

   "But then why leave? You said he made you leave. After all that fuss, why?"

   "It's not permanent. I have a week. I've been painting a lot up there and Brian used his connections to send my work off. I have a show coming up at the Sidney Bloom gallery. Would you like to come to it?"

   "Oh Justin, that's wonderful! I'm so proud of you! I'd love to come!"

   "That's great Mom! You're support means a lot to me." They embraced warmly.

   "What a touching picture you two make! Did I hear something about an art show? I hope I'm allowed to tag along?" said a male voice behind them.

   Justin had leaned forward and grabbed the nearest weapon and then vaulted over the sofa in one jump before he had realized he had moved. With a few well placed kicks, he relegated the intruder onto the floor on his stomach and had his knee pressed into his spine. The fire poker was pressed against the back of his neck. (Hey, you don't live with a Beast for a few months without picking up a few moves!)

   "Justin, NO!" Jennifer shrieked.

   Justin ignored her. "Lie still stranger, if you value your life!" His voice came out, snarling, menacingly, in a most Brian-like, Beastly way, "I'm placing you under Citizen's arrest! Now...who the hellare you and how did you get into my mother' house uninvited?"

   The man on the floor was dressed in a charcoal grey suit with a red tie and a matching kerchief in the breast pocket. He hardly looked like the break-in type.

   "Justin, stop! Please stop! It's all right! Really! It's all right! This is my business manager for the company! I hired him after you left! He comes over all the time! Please don't hurt him!"

   "Is this true!?" snarled Justin.

   "Ummmpphhh...Oooooggg...." said the man who was currently face first into the ground and munching a lot of carpet.

   "What?" asked Justin, removing the poker slightly so the man could turn his head.

   "Yes. That's right. It's true!"

   "Oh. All right then! I'm sorry then." Justin helped the man to his feet and brushed him off a bit.

   "Oh that's no problem. If I had to be taken captive by anyone, I was glad it was someone as handsome as you. Are you the artist of the show you mentioned?"

   Justin ignored the obvious come-on. "Yes, I am. I'm Justin Taylor. And you are?"

   "The man smiled widely, His teeth were white and even, his face young and handsome. He held out a hand and Justin shook it.

   "I'm Ethan. Ethan Gold."

B&B&B&B&B&B&B

   It was a while later.

   After Ethan arrived, things changed drastically. Justin did not feel comfortable discussing Brian or the castle and the Wards with a stranger, so he just became very quiet and withdrawn as he waited for Ethan to leave.

   But Ethan didn't leave. He plunked himself right down on the other sofa and was right at home in seconds. And Jennifer felt no such discretion and proceeded to tell Ethan all about Brian and the strange house in the middle of nowhere somewhere in West Virginia, at least from her point of view. She went on to tell her experience at great detail, much the way as I've told it to you. Ethan found it all quite fascinating.

   "And you've been living with this terrible man ever since? How dreadful for you! Are you glad to be home?" he asked.

   "Actually..." Justin ground out between clenched teeth, "Before you got here (strolled in like it was your own home, just who the HELL do you think YOU are?) I was just telling my mother that he's changed quite a bit. He's a wonderful man now. He even saved my life."

   "Darling, how thrilling! You must tell us all about it!" said Jennifer.

   "I will tell YOU about it! But not tonight! Another day but soon!" Justin said with a small smile of remembrance. "So Ethan....Why are you here?"

   "Justin...Manners!" simpered Jennifer in a way that Justin had never heard before. Just who was this creep?

   "I came to discuss a business matter about the company with your mother," replied Ethan.

   "Then I'll leave you to it and go take a nap and take my personal matters with me," Justin said pointedly.

   "Justin, you're right, of course. Ethan, why don't you stay for dinner? That way we can take care of business matters now and discuss things in a more relaxed atmosphere later. Justin how does that sound to you?"

   Justin sighed. He was halfway out of the room when he turned. He said stiffly and made no attempt to hide his hostility. "Whatever, you want, mother. It's plain I have no say in the matter. However, be advised I will not be discussing Brian or the house in West Virginia as part of this "relaxed atmosphere" Some details are sensitive and are a family matter. Ethan, I hope you understand."

   And he left the room without another word.

B&B&B&B&B&B

   Well, of course he didn't go take a nap.

   As soon as Ethan and his mother were ensconced in the kitchen looking over reports and financial statements, Justin snuck back downstairs and listened through the swinging door.

   "I'm afraid there's still no change," Ethan was saying, "The market's still down and we're still feeling the losses from that ship. Production is in full swing in the factory but we're still in the red. We had to shut down another couple of outlet stores."

   "Oh dear! Isn't there anything we can do!? All those people losing their jobs! I feel terrible! What can we do?"

   "Nothing really. We just have to soldier on and try to get out of this debt. Do you have the monthly payment?"

   "I do but I won't be able to keep up with that much longer. I was given some resources but this is depleting them faster than I thought. This is the last payment I can make before I'm completely broke. And there's still Molly to think about. I don't know what I'll do!"

   Ethan said, "Well, I suppose I could write the remaining balance for the month myself. That is...if..."he paused dramatically.

   "If? If what?" asked Jennifer in puzzlement.

   "Your son is quite a dish. Set me up with him over dinner and I'll write the cheque."

   Justin's mouth was a perfect O of astonishment over the man's audacity. Was this never to end? Was he to be sold like a jar of pickled pig's feet yet again?

   "Oh Ethan, I can't do that! I know he feels that I sold him off to that...that man once even though it wasn't intentional, I can't do it again! Especially since this time it IS like I'm brokering him like some sort of meat we sell in the shops. I can't do that to him again!"

   "Oh, all right then." Ethan sounded disappointed but unconcerned, and started shuffling papers. Sounded like he was getting ready to leave.

   Justin counted. One....two...three....

   "Wait!" said Jennifer nervously. (‘Bingo!' thought Justin) "Well, you're staying for dinner anyway, right? Well, how about I seat you next to him and you can get acquainted like that on your own. Try and get invited to his art show. I'm sure if you guys spend enough time together, you'll hit it off."

   "Hmmmm, well I guess that sounds all right. How about this? I'll write out half the amount right now. When and if Justin invites me to the art show, I'll come through with the other half. OK?"

   The only sound in reply was Jennifer's muted sobs but Justin could imagine that she was nodding as well.

   Justin could stand it no longer. He retreated quietly and went back upstairs to the safety of his bedroom. He locked the door and lay down.

B&B&B&B&B&B&B

   Dinner was predictable.

   Justin was predictably paired up with Ethan on one side of the table and Molly and Jennifer sat on the other side.

   Ethan was predictably smarmy and sleazy in his constant come-ons. His hand found its way onto Justin's leg with a kind of tiresome regularity and, with an equal regularity, Justin picked it back off with his thumb and forefinger as if he were handling a rat by the tail.

   At one point, Justin asked: "Would you like some more Brussels sprouts, Ethan?" He dipped into the serving dish and dumped out a spoonful onto Ethan's plate without waiting for an answer. He used his left hand and made sure his ring was prominently displayed.

   "Oh my Gawd!" Jennifer squealed, seeing it immediately, "Justin, is that a wedding ring!?"

   "No Mom, not yet. But it is a promise ring. We exchanged them to each other. I gave one just like it...to my boyfriend," he invented, speaking meaningfully to Ethan.

   "Ahhh well! You're not married yet! You can still have a bit o' fun! And I'm very fun!" Ethan said squeezing his thigh again.

   Justin rolled his eyes. The man had the smarts of a speed bump! "Are you really?" Justin answered batting his baby blues, ignoring the pain where Ethan was squeezing his leg too hard.

   "Oh yeah...loads of fun," answered Ethan, stroking down to his inner thigh, encouraged at last.

   "Well then, why don't you take your hands off me..."he said, practically needing a crowbar to pry Ethan's hand off his leg, "And go play with yourself!"

   "Justin! Think of Molly!" gasped Jennifer.

   "Good point Mom," said Justin, "And stay away from my sister!" he yelled at Ethan.

   "Arrrgh! That's it! The deal's off! And I quit! I hope you all enjoy bankruptcy and starving in the streets for all I care!" Ethan snarled. He pushed off from the table angrily and stomped out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

   "Oh Justin! Couldn't you have tried to like him? Just a little bit. For a little while? Oh, you don't understand what you've done!" Jennifer said mournfully.

   "Mother! The man was a complete creep! I told him repeatedly I had a boyfriend. I even waved a ring in his face and he wouldn't back down! What was I supposed to do? And why are you on MY case about it?" Justin feigned ignorance about the deal.

   Jennifer was forced to come clean. "Well...oh dear....well....well, the thing was, Ethan was going to help us out...if...if you hit it off. Now, we're on our own, the company's in huge debt and there's no way to pay it off with what we have left. He's right! We'll be bankrupt soon."

   "Mother!" Justin said sternly, "Didn't Brian give you something when you left to help with expenses?"

   "Yes," sniffed Jennifer, "But I guess I overspent a couple of times and I sold nearly everything. Besides...the company...it's been a huge drain..."

   "Those cups weren't for the company! They were for you and Molly to live on until the next ship came in! Figuratively as well as literally! And to live frugally! That means cheddar cheese, not havarti! That means tuna, not caviar!"

   "Justin really! Tuna?" Jennifer worked it out around her tongue like a bad word. "Be reasonable!"

   "I am being reasonable Mom! Lots of people live on tuna every day! And if you are going to survive, you are going to have to economize. Now...what do you have left of what Brian gave you? Give it to me!"

   "Give it to you! But then we'll have nothing! We`ll be completely broke!"

   "You'll just have to trust me. I won't let that happen. Hand them over."

   Regretfully, Jennifer reached into a pocket and pulled out a ruby, an emerald, a diamond, and a sapphire, each one about the size of a pea. That was all that was left of the beautiful cups Brian had given her. She had dug everything out, sold the gold to a reputable dealer and sold all the other gems as well.

   Justin took them away and went upstairs for a few minutes. Then he returned and gave the ruby back to his mother.

   "OK, sell this and use the money to buy the groceries and mortgage for the next three months. If I see that you are not being excessive in your spending, I'll give you the emerald to liquidate as well. If things go well, I'll give you enough to pay off the company and more but this time you'll have to be careful because when I return to Brian, it's likely, I will not return for a long time. This will be your last chance."

B&B&B&B&B&B&B

   And so, this is what they did.

   The next day, the family went to the jeweller's store that Jen had been using and sold the ruby for a fair and generous sum. Then he let them loose at the mall but had to leave and go to get things ready at the gallery.

   "He warned them: "Get receipts for everything you buy. If I don't like what I see, I will be returning it." Then he drove away.

   It turned out, letting Jen loose alone in a mall with a wad of cash was a huge mistake. Jennifer was a shopaholic. One that had expensive tastes. She went to all the specialty stores and bought Edam and Havarti, and Gouda cheeses, and specialty spiced deli meats and fresh vegetables. She bought a spice rack worth of spices. On the way to the next item she saw a dress she "couldn't pass up" and of course she had to get matching shoes and the a purse to match the shoes. Poor Molly was dragged along and had to watch all this with a quiet sort of horror as she did every time Jennifer went and spent all their money. But there was nothing she could do. She had long ago given up trying to beg and plead and reason with Jennifer that she didn't need to spend $100 on spices from the Orient or that she didn't "just have to have" the newest style of shoes. Once Jen got that look in her eyes and went into that zone there was no stopping her.

   At 6:00 PM, Justin got home. He walked in the door.

   There was a pause.

   At 6:05 Mount Justin erupted. There was a screaming, yelling fight that could be heard for a block radius for a good 15 minutes. Then there was deathly silence for the rest of the night.

Next Day...

   Justin walked a kind of grim death march kind of walk through the mall returning all the cheeses and spices and other foods he could and the clothes that he was appalled to find had come from those really expensive boutique stores; those small ones who look down on you until you break out the green whereupon they serve you champagne. Jennifer walked silently and meekly behind with Molly who had a kind of mixture of awe, relief, and thankfulness about her. Finally, there was someone who could curb her mother's overspending. She had never seen her brother yell so loud or get so angry. And even though he was youthful and small, it was clear who the head of the house was, now that he was back.

   Fortunately, Jennifer had indeed kept receipts for everything. He couldn't take back the fresh vegetables but Justin went from store to store and took almost everything else back and apologized/explained in a kind of rehearsed speech that he eventually learned and performed by rote. Jennifer gave a kind of physical flinch every time she heard "cut back" and "mistake" and "in debt".

   When Jennifer had finished yesterday, she had about enough left over to pay the mortgage for one month and that's it. After Justin was finished getting refunded, he had enough to pay it for 3 months and $500 besides. He carefully folded the mortgage money into a separate pocket and took them to the other end of the mall to a large all purpose store called the Q-Mart.

   "Oh my Gosh! Why is it so bright in here?" complained Jennifer.

   "It's fluorescent lighting Mom. It's completely normal light," answered Justin crossly.

   "Well there's too much UV for me! It's giving me a headache," complained Jennifer loudly, slipping on sunglasses.

   "Mom! Lower your voice! You're embarrassing us! Now come on! There are groceries over here."

   The ordeal continued as Justin carried out his thre - uh...promise and introduced them to the world of Hamburger Helper, macaroni and cheese, tinned tuna and salmon and other fish, canned vegetables and meat and other cheaper groceries, mostly freeze dried, canned or frozen which could be stored for a few months.

   "How are you supposed to get the food out of these things?" his mother asked densely at one point inspecting a can of peas.

   Justin rolled his eyes. "With a can opener mother. You know, that shiny, square appliance on the counter you never use?"

   His mother laughed. "Oh that old thing! I wondered what that was! I thought it came with the house. How do we know these are peas? Or the carrots? They could be anything!"

   "That's not how it works mother! What you see is what you get. Now come on!"

   And later: "Justin how are we going to pay for all this?"

   Tiredly: "With money, mother!"

   "But dear...all these weird prices...2.99....5.99....6.99...I've searched my purse and I never remember having a 99 cent coin in my life!"

   Justin closed his eyes, sighed hugely and fought off the stress headache. This was turning into a very long day.

B&B&B&B&B&B&B

   When they were finally done and home, they had a full freezer and pantry that would last them for three months at least.

   Justin said, "Tonight is my show. Let's just forget all this right now so I can focus. Tomorrow, I'll sell the emerald and that money will be for living expenses, utilities, heat, water etc...for the next while. Mother...this is not mall money. No new clothes until the company starts doing well again. You have a lot of nice clothes. You don't need any more."

   "But Justin..." his mother was tearful.

   "No, mother! You need to learn the difference between wants and needs! My God! When did you become such a snob!?"

   "I'm not a snob! I'm rich!"

   "Not for a while you're not! You need to get that through your head and adjust."

   "Yes Justin," answered Jennifer, since that was the only answer to give at the moment. But other thoughts were going through her head as well.

B&B&B&B&B&B&B&B

   The Sidney Bloom Gallery was in full swing. Every light blazed, and the noise of a thousand conversations thrummed out to where it could be heard across the street.

   A pair of cold, calculating and cruel eyes emerged from the alley across the street and watched the party. The art show seemed to be doing well. The cold eyes homed in on the handsome blond man sipping champagne, shaking hands, accepting congratulations, and allowing their hands to linger on him slightly longer than needed to be. The eyes narrowed. Slut!

   The owner of the eyes took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. When they opened they were no longer cold but dancing with happiness and playful mischief, like a person dancing through an ice cream commercial. This was going to be so much fun. Justin would be so glad to see him and he didn't suspect for a moment he was coming.

   The owner of the eyes walked across the street and entered the gallery. He waited at a respectful distance while Justin finished schmoozing with whatever bigwig who had his hands all over him. Eventually, Justin eyes roamed and fell on him.

   "Ethan! What are you doing here?"

   "I came to see your show." Ethan smiled warmly as if he were doing Justin a favor.

   "I thought you made your position perfectly clear when you quit your job and left my house. Sorry, I'm not "starving in the streets" as you hoped. Besides, this was an invitation-only party. How did you get in?"

   "I slipped the doorman a 50. OK, so I crashed! Sue me! I wanted to see you again. I'm sorry for what I said. Plus I looked you up online and was very impressed. I wanted to see your work. Maybe buy a piece." Ethan worked that back in his head and smiled. Sure, that sounded plausible.

   "Well, I'm very flattered, I'm sure, Ethan, but I'm still not interested in you personally and as you can see, your patronage is not needed. I'm nearly sold out. So, I'd be happier if you would just leave."

   "Oh, Justin! Don't be like that!  I came a long way. Why not have one glass of champagne with me and then I'll leave."

   "Fine!" snapped Justin, who was put in a rather bad mood now. Well, it was one drink and then he'd be rid of odious man.

   Ethan grabbed a couple of glasses from a passing server and handed one to Justin. "I'm very proud of you Justin. Here's to all your success." They clinked glasses.

   As Justin drank, he wished a tall, dark, muscular, masked man were speaking the words instead.

   Ethan pretended to look at some of the paintings but he was instead drinking in the sight of his blond boy ass which he kept in his line of sight at all times.

   Within a few minutes, Justin was blinking and shaking his head, his steps seemed heavier and slower than they were a minute ago. Ethan kept close. Any minute now...

   A minute later, the champagne flute slipped out of Justin's hand and smashed onto the floor.

   "Ooops, I think we have a tipsy artist. Make way! Make way! The artist feels sick! He needs some air! Queasy artist coming through!" Ethan supported him around the waist and "guided" him out the door onto the street.

   Justin groaned and gurgled but by this time, his whole body including his face and jaw muscles felt incredibly heavy. He couldn't get up the energy to talk or yell for help, which is what he was doing. And then everything went black.

   Ethan smiled down at his charge, now sleeping, took a quick look around and then scooped up the young man in a cradling position and quickly carried him across the street, through the alley to the next street where his car was and then buckled him into the front seat. Moving quickly but not hurried, he got into the driver's seat and then drove away into the night.

TBC