- Text Size +

THE RED HOODY

 

PART 2

 

Chapter 8: The Woodsman

 

 

 

   For a minute Gus remained on guard and unsure what to do. The light was dim and green and he could not see the huge man clearly. He did not know if he was friend or foe. He might have been Jackson Wolfe come after him, although Gus was unsure how this could be possible.

 

   Lucky continued to bark. Gus reached out a hand mindlessly and took hold of his collar which stopped him somewhat. But he too remained on high alert and growled deep in his throat.

 

   The woodsman walked out of the woods and toward them until Gus held up a hand and said: "That's far enough! Stop!"

 

   The woodsman stopped. His face was deep in shadow.

 

   "Who are you?"

 

   "That is difficult to explain," said the man.                                                        

 

   "Try..." ground out Gus, "Or I'll set my dog on you and while he's chewing your face off, I'll make my escape."

 

   Lucky growled and gave a hopeful, malevolent bark.

 

   "I am the Ward of the Wood. I take care of the trees and animals and set the souls of confused men onto the right paths again before they get too horribly lost in my forest."

 

   "You don't look like a forest ranger."

 

   "I'm not. But I suppose....I suppose our job is similar." Even though the man was deep in shadow, Gus could hear the smile in his voice.

 

   Gus frowned sceptically. "Come into the light," he requested softly, "And tell me your name. Tell me who you are!"

 

   The sunlight was filtered and green to be sure. At another time, it would be rich and full of the promise of growth but now...somehow it just looked sickly and creepy to Gus. There were patches where the sun managed to pierce through, creating a dappled effect on the ground. It was to one of these patches that the woodsman stepped up to now. His face slowly came into view. He opened his mouth to speak.

 

JBJBJBJBJBJBJ

 

   Back at Opa's house, Timothy was having a much more unpleasant time.

 

   Wolfe dragged him by the throat up to the bedroom and threw him on the bed like a sack of garbage.

 

   "STAAAYYY THERRRRREE!!!!" Wolfe roared in a feral voice that was the scariest he could muster. Timothy was sufficiently scared into submission. As it was his old man's heart was having trouble keeping up with him. He desperately tried to take deeper breaths.

 

   Wolfe rummaged around in Timothy walk in closet and found a bedsheet, and as many ties as he could get. He used the ties to tie up the old man hand and foot and quite a bit around the torso as well. Then he tied two together and gagged the old man with the knot. All the roping was cruelly tight.

 

   Then he stuffed the old man in the closet and shut off the light, leaving him in inky blackness. Sure it was a walk in, but the sensory deprivation was terrifying.

 

   "Stay quiet and you may yet live through this! Try warning anyone in any way and you both die instantly!!" the wicked Wolfe said before he slammed the door.

 

   Wolfe went back through the house and put everything he could back in order. He put anything knocked over right way up and straightened the pictures on the wall. The front door was another matter; it hung forlornly by one hinge. Wolfe wasn't worried; it all played perfectly into his plan.

 

   He went back up to the bedroom.

 

BJBJBJBJBJBJ

 

   The Ward of the Wood was gorgeous.

 

   His nose was classic and fit his big face well. His eyes were sparkling and blue, his forehead high, his chin square and cleft. His cheekbones were high and strong. In short, his face fit his ripped bod perfectly.

 

   "My name is Le--..." he hesitated.

 

   "Yes?" Gus asked.

 

   "Lee. Just Lee. And you, Red Hood, who are you and where are you going?"

 

   "I am the firstborn of the Patrons of Britin Castle. I'm Gus. I'm on my way to my mothers' house."

 

   "You have breached the borders of Britin Castle. Your title means little to those who dwell in the forest and even less if they are evil of heart or do not know you. As it is, I do know who you are and you have nothing to fear from me, Gus."

 

   "I've never met you before," said Gus, "How do you know who I am?"

 

   "I met your grandfather when you were 5 years old. It's too far back for you to remember, but I remember you now that you have identified yourself."

 

   "I see. You say I have nothing to fear but that axe tells another story."

 

   "What, this?" asked Lee, examining his axe and then put it back over his shoulder, business end away from both of them. "This is simply the tool of my trade. I thin out the trees so the others don't feel crowded and then sell the firewood. Also, you wouldn't begrudge a man self defence against a wolf or cougar, would you, Red Hood?"

 

   "I suppose not." Gus was unable to suppress a shudder.

 

   "What's the matter, Red Hood?" Lee asked kindly.

 

   "That's kind of why I'm on the run right now. Only it's a man named Wolfe. At least...I think he's a man...my Opa...that's grandpa, he says he's a great evil... but I've done nothing...nothing to him....Why? Why does he want to kill me?" He began to shake uncontrollably.

 

   Lee leaned his axe against a nearby tree and approached Gus by a few steps. Lucky snarled and bared his teeth.

 

   Lee smiled. "Ahhhh, I forgot about you. Lucky, Lucky, what a good dog! From here to forever, you will bring good fortune to whoever owns you. And though you will not live forever, a long life you will have! Look what I have for you!"

 

   Lee reached into his pockets and pulled out such a mass of beef, chicken and turkey jerky that Lucky thought he'd died and gone to heaven. He approached warily; he wanted to protect Gus but the meat was calling to him like a siren.

 

   Lee laughed and pulled out even more and gave everything to the dog.  There was a small pile on the ground. Lucky was now definitely in heaven and decided the stranger was all right. Anyone with this much meat in his pocket had to be a good friend and master. He barked joyfully and chowed down but kept a wary eye on Gus.

 

   Lee was now able to approach Gus all the way and enfolded Gus into a protective and consuming hug. Gus relished the strength and body heat, unaware how cold he was even in the Hoody. He realized there seemed to be ice in the very marrow of his soul. He began to cry.

 

   For a long time, they stood there, Gus weeping softly at the unfairness of it all, and Lee rocking him, letting him absorb his protection and strength. And slowly, the ice melted and Gus felt warm and safe again. His dads were great. So were his moms but...oh, but Gus hadn't felt like this in forever, not since...

 

   He pulled back and looked up with shining eyes. "Your name....your name's not Lee, is it?"

 

   The Ward of the Wood smiled with shiny eyes of his own. "Nope."

 

   "Leo??"

 

   "Hi Gus. I've missed you...so much."

 

   "You...you're the one my Opa told me about? The one that protected me as a kid?"

 

   "I am."

 

   "I don't remember you."

 

   Leo reached out and slowly pushed back the hood onto Gus' shoulders. He stroked his hair and then cupped his cheek in a huge strong hand and Gus unconsciously leaned into it. God help him, this felt...so...so good.

 

   Leo smiled. "You remember enough. And anyway...I remember you."

 

   "I don't understand. Why did you say you were Ward of the Wood?"

 

   "It is who I will be."

 

   "I don't understand."

 

   "I know. It's all right Gus. What you do need to understand is that I have come to you to help you...one last time. I saw the evil one drop the wool of sheep's clothing he has been wearing for so long and attack you. I left my duties to follow you and keep an eye on you and keep you on the right path."

 

   "Will you get into trouble? I thought the Bright Men were only at the castle."

 

   "I haven't done anything...horribly direct. I will be all right. Now, listen carefully, little Gus. I have the power to help you one more time....just one last time....and then you shall never see me again. I want you to take this." He opened a ham-sized fist and there was a shining, silver whistle in his palm.

 

   "Very soon, the evil one will engage you. If you absolutely cannot defeat him, at the last possible peril, it is then you must blow this whistle and I will come to you and help you. But only in the most dire of emergencies and it is only for one use so use it wisely. Do you understand, Red Hood?" Leo handed him the whistle and took hold of Gus' hood and drew it up again lovingly.

 

   "I understand. I will use it wisely. Thank you for all your help Leo. Now, I should hurry though. Come on, Lucky!"

 

   Lucky found he was on the last piece of jerky. Sighing, he got to his feet and he and Gus began to run on.

 

   "Wait Gus! Where are you going?" Leo called.

 

   "I'm getting help from my moms! That's where I was headed."

 

   "Your moms cannot help you now," Leo said sorrowfully.

 

   "Why!? What do you mean?" Gus asked alarmed.

 

   "They left for France, three days ago, remember? They are not there. You must go back."

 

   "Oh no! And it's twice that far to the castle now! Oh what am I going to do?"

 

   "Come with me. Follow closely."

 

   Leo strode off the path into the woods for a bit. Gus and Lucky followed.

 

   After a few minutes of bush trekking, they came across a thin trail. Leo pointed back the way Gus had come and said, "I told you, one of my jobs was to set lost men on the right path. Follow this trail back to your Opa's house and it will take you half the time. But take care...do not stray from this path at all costs and do not take your Hoody off....no...matter...what. This is all I can do for you now, little Gus. Now, hurry!"

 

   Gus looked down the narrow trail which was also green and creepy and curved very quickly on to the left.

 

   "Thank you, Leo! Thank you for everything! And don't worry! I won't stray or use the whistle unless I have to. "I'll never for-"

 

   "Hurry...." Said a voice softly, as if it were being carried on the wind.

 

   Gus looked around startled. Leo was gone.

 

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJB

 

   Wolfe shut off all the lights and made his way to the bedroom. He checked in on his captive who was still petrified with fear. Wolfe just laughed and slammed the door again.

 

   He took the bedsheet he had selected and made a slit with a claw near the middle and poked his head through it so he was wearing the sheet like a bedgown.

 

   As it was, he was only wearing his ripped, ruined pants. With this on, it would seem he was wearing the semblance of normal clothes. At least...it would seem like that...until it was too late.

 

   Chuckling evilly, he shut off the light and got into bed.

 

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJ

 

   The path curved left, then right, then left again. Then, as if it suddenly decided to make up its mind, the path went straight as an arrow through the trees.

 

   Lucky ran on ahead and Gus ran obediently down the path, his Red Cape streaming straight out behind him. He did not stray to the left or the right.

 

   And in what seemed like no time at all, he ran out into his grandfather's clearing, quite close to the fence, near the back.

 

   Keeping close to the fence he ran around to the front. He saw the door hanging on one hinge Alarmed, he buzzed in at the gate frantically.

 

   "Hello..." wavered a weak voice.

 

   "Opa!! Opa!! Are you all right!?"

 

   "No! Wolfe broke in right after you left!  I was so scared! I'm in my bedroom, but I'm still scared! I feel cold! Help me Gus!"

 

   "I'll do what I can. Buzz me in."

 

   "Right...OK..."

 

   BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

   Gus let Lucky in and then was in like a shot. He ran up to the ruined door and cautiously passed through.

 

   It was creepier than last time. All the lights were off. Opa never turned off all the lights. Something was definitely off.

 

   Very worried now, Gus made his way to Tim's bedroom. Reluctantly, he reached out and knocked.

 

   "Opa?" he asked.

 

   "Come in Gussy," said a wavering yet raspy voice.

 

   Gus slowly turned the knob. Even more slowly, more reluctantly he opened the door.

 

   The bedroom as well, was shrouded in darkness, almost pitch black.

 

   "Opa? You in here? Why's it so dark?"

 

   "Come in, my child. Please Gus...leave the light off...After my ordeal...I need to rest my weary eyes."

 

   "Oh. OK then.' Fighting a deep sensation of foreboding and fear, Gus slowly pushed the door open and then...slipped inside.

 

   "Oh Gussy! Thank heavens you're back! He tortured me and threatened to eat me if I didn't tell him where you were. He ran off into the forest! Thank heavens you didn't cross him!"

 

   "That's the truth! Are you OK, Opa? You sound a little...weird."

 

   "I'm just weak...so weak....and cold. I can't seem to get warm."

 

   "I can try to get a hot water bottle..."

 

   "Oh...uh....I have one. It's not working....Ohhhh....so cold..."

 

   "Oh! Well, what should we do?"

 

   "Well...I know it's asking a lot....But I did have this idea....Oh Gus, please...If you took off your Hoody...and your clothes you could snuggle with me...just for a bit...just for body heat."

 

   "Uhhhhh....hmmmmm...well, I guess that'd be OK...If it's for body heat," decided Gus, "Just a sec."

 

   There was a pause as Gus disrobed and then he climbed into the bed, spooning "Opa" from behind.

 

   "I feel your bedclothes. But something feels different," said Gus.

 

   "What do you mean, my child?"

 

   "Your body...and your arms! They're so big Opa!"

 

   "All the better to hug you with Gus."

 

   "And...your eyes have nightshine! They're so big, Opa!"

 

   "All the better to see you with, my dear," rasped Wolfe.

 

   "Your ears! They're hairy! And simply enormous!" said Gus.

 

   "All the better to hear you with, my dear!"

 

   Gus' hands traced downward. "And Opa! What a big nose you have! And it's damp!"

 

   "All the better to smell you with, my dear," rasped "Opa" raggedly.

 

   "Oh dear!" Gus went very still.

 

   "What's the matter kinder?"

 

   "Opa...what big teeth you have!!"

 

   "All the better to eat you up with!" Wolfe yelled in his real voice and Gus screamed. There was a scuffle in the dark as he tried to escape but it was no use. Those huge arms went around him squeezing painfully, pulling him back.  And then those big teeth closed over his head and all he could smell was warm and fetid wolf breath.

 

   And with that, Jackson Wolfe ate him alllllll up.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: It's official...Yes, I AM satanically evil! However, I like to reiterate this is TBC and NOT The End. But that's all I'm saying.