- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Kind of a tame ending so I added a Sneak Peek just to mess with you!

THE RED HOODY

PART 2

Chapter 3: The Red Hoody

 

Five years later:

 

 

   Britin Castle continued to prosper.

   The resort became popular beyond imagination. All the amenities were used to their full capacity. Tennis and horseback riding was popular, so much so that they expanded to three large courts and 75 and then 100 horses. Arjax was kept very busy and indeed had an army of stablehands at his command.

   Jackson Wolfe hired on a team to help him take care of the maze. Soon, he was in charge of that team. Soon he branched out into the other duties of groundskeeping. He was hired to take care of them. Soon he was named head groundskeeper and was overseer of all.

   The maze itself became very popular. It was very difficult and no one was ever really ever able to solve it. The only way to reach the center was completely by accident or if you had another group coach you from the balcony where you could look down from above. However, even then it was a difficulty. However, if you managed to reach the center you were allowed to stay in the house for three days free of charge. However after that it was $1000 a night and somehow Jackson always knew and would appear at the door on the morning of the fourth day to remind the guests. Nobody knew how he managed to find his way through the maze so effortlessly but he did and was the only one who could.

   The hospital and hospice wings were also extremely prosperous but in a different way. It took a while but many prominent doctors and research scientists came to work there and soon it became as prominent as such places as the Mayo Clinic or the like. Because of its remote location, Brian and Justin decided to put in a helipad and have an airlift standing by that included a few helicopters. Somehow, they managed to come up with the money.

   They set aside a space that became a Research and Development Dept. Well, of course, they never found a way to cure AIDS. There are some things even the Bright Men's magic couldn't do. But they kept trying, never seemed to need fund drives, and kept working with the cocktail drugs to find new and more efficient ways for them to be administered. Of course, the drugs were always on hand for the patients and they never ran out. All the hospice patients were kept safe and happy and warm, each one with their own room. They were treated with kindness, love and dignity right until the very end.

   Debbie, Beddy, and Emmett lived in a kind of euphoria from which they never awoke. Debbie and Beddy had, in their opinions, the best jobs in the world. They got to work (play) with food all day long, not just serve and sling it but order it, be in charge of it, plan menus, and be the bosses of everyone who did serve it. And if it took their fancy to sling the hash and give the guests some of their special brand of sass back, (especially to difficult diners) then that's what they did. Or conversely, sometimes they would hear of a hospice patient who was in a special depression, or a lot of pain or weakness and they would serve the special needs meal personally to them, sit with them and offer a comforting presence with them for as long as they were eating that would make any mother hen proud. Then they'd leave with a mock admonishment like: "Now you get better, you hear or else, I'll be back with the Tabasco sauce!" Of course, this never happened.

   Emmett was in seventh heaven. He walked around as if his twinkletoes never touched the ground. He was given free rein to reno, decorate, and plan parties and he had four huge ballrooms to do just that. Balls were frequent. Everyone who wished it got a gala birthday party flowing with booze and cake; and sometimes cake with booze in it. The throne room was given over to him to renovate and as soon as he had done away with the thrones, had decided that the room would make a wonderful chapel/synagogue/mosque. A few set changes, a different flag on the wall, exchange a menorah for a cross, and the room could be easily switched to whatever the persons wished. It was a huge hit and the occupants and visitors of Britin Castle had a worship center for whatever they wanted. Weddings became plentiful. Everyone loved it except for Brian who kept a wide berth of it.

   Melanie and Lindsay lived happily in their pink house in the woods. They followed Brian's advice and Melanie started her own law practice. This prospered gradually over the five years. Oftentimes, it would take her out of state or even out of country and during these times Lindsay would stay in the castle or else go with her. At any rate, Brian and Justin loved both these scenarios because that meant they'd have more time with Gus living with them. And they loved that little boy more and more with each passing day.

   Michael and Ben lived happily in their own lovely suite that put the loft to shame. Michael had his own comic shop in the mall and prospered and Ben...well Ben did what he pleased. He wrote, he worked out, he offered his services as a nutritionist and personal trainer but never had to work because he had to ever again. He made love to Michael constantly. All in all, this was their happily ever after.

   Ted really lived up to his name of the Golden Goose and over time it became a badge and name of honor instead of the derision that Stockwell had meant it for him. He commanded a company of accountants, was a wizard of the accounts, and was given chief and ultimate authority of the duplicating box. Thanks to his keen and cool headed logical thinking, he never abused it and he never forgot the story Justin told him about when it was. He used it to duplicate a vault room full of golden eggs. He used it to duplicate a chest full of rubies, one of emeralds, one of sapphires and one of diamonds. Two more vault rooms were given over to coins, one for quarters and one for dimes and Ted filled them both up to Scrooge McDuckian proportions. Every egg, jewel, quarter and dime was accounted for and spent and it wasn't until they were down to the wire or close to it that he would duplicate more. Eventually, he invested until they had actual and honest money as well.

   Of course, the IRS eventually came calling and they were directed to Ted, who was dressed in an impeccable tailored suit that hid a deceptively thin yet hard body that was honed with ropy muscles and infused with four years of kung fu ability. Ted would be ready for them with all the proper paperwork with dotted i's and crossed t's and a huge check. Britin Castle paid several millions of dollars per year in income tax and the IRS agents who came were always astounded at the ease and nonchalance that Ted exuded when dealing with them.

   Brian and Justin, quite honestly, preferred to stay out of the whole mess entirely and spent most of their time in the Family Wing. Justin painted a lot, Brian posed a lot, and this usually led to them fucking a lot. After the birth of their first, they added to their family with another boy, a cherubic girl, and another one on the way. They continued to be the Patrons (kings) of Britin Castle and judges for disputes but otherwise chose to keep out of the day to day workings.

   Their first child, the one conceived in the White Tower grew up exactly as Justin had foreseen in his vision. He was now a healthy 5 years old. He had tight curly blond hair, rose red, cupid bow lips and eyes that mimicked Brian's. One day they would be brown with gold flecks and the next gold with brown flecks. He was so cute and handsome that everybody who saw him loved him and his disposition was so sweet, if he talked to you for 5 minutes, you wanted to be his friend. It became very clear to his fathers that he had inherited their gift of beauty, something which his younger siblings did not, although they were all beautiful in their own way as well.

   Above it all, was Jack. He and then several other subordinates, ruled over it all. He was the one who signed off on the orders, met with all the Heads of all the departments, saw to piffling little repairs, took the reservations for the White Tower, made sure they didn't overstay, and...was generally in charge of everything. He held the keys to the kingdom. In all ways, like Joseph of old, he was in command and only Brian and Justin were over him.

   Now you may think that this was a daunting prospect and temptation to rule unfairly or stage a coup, or embezzle and run would run rampant within Jack's mind and possibly drive him insane. But not Jack. He was a wise and fair ruler, he was always on the go and if a selfish thought did flash through his mind, (and they did, I mean what honest man's mind doesn't?) he would go for a walk in the sunshine and feel the sun on his face and remember...He would remember the dark time when he was a lowly guard standing in the cold and endlessly dark night, bored with no reprieve. And he'd remember a dark and dangerous Brian Kinney pressing a gun to his back and whispering: "Don't move a muscle or I'll blow your kidney out through your stomach!" and: "One false move, one hint of betrayal and you are dead. Got it!"

   And he'd realize he'd be a fool to give up his sunshine and warmth and security and golden eggs and what a dead man he would be, if he ever betrayed his Patrons and unleashed the dark and dangerous side of Brian Kinney. And soon the bad thoughts would pass.

   Timothy discovered a talent for spinning, weaving and sewing that he never knew he had. He started small, knitting a few things for family members but when he realized he could knit very artistically and quickly, he asked for a spinning wheel and then a loom and created many scarves, shirts, pants, and the like. He made all of Justin's children's baby clothes, took pictures of everything he made and with Ted's help, set up a website. He also set up shop intermittently in the mall but only when he felt he could make it and only with a small kiosk cart. And because at first it took every ounce of his tenuous courage to do so, he called his site and little shop The Brave Little Tailor.

   One day, Timothy was at his kiosk cart and Gus cam running down the mall corridor wearing his signature red hoody that he had made for him. Gus carried the bottomless basket over one arm.

   "Opa! Opa! It's time for lunch! You promised! Auntie Debbie and Auntie Em sent me with our lunch! You promised! You promised!"

   Timothy watched him approach and felt the underlying panic that always threatened to bloom out of control fade away. Only in Gus' presence did it ever truly go away in public. He loved that little boy to distraction now.

   Lucky heard the exuberant voice and stirred from his spot under the kiosk. He yawned and then barked twice happily but did not get up and run around. He had been very well trained.

   "I know...I know, kinder! Give Opa a hug!" Gus laughed and threw himself into Tim's arms and Tim treasured the moment. His gnarled had stroked over the soft hoody and remembered when he had made it. How he added to it every year. And why he must......

BJJBJBJBJBJJBJBJ

Three years ago...or two years later....however you decide to look at it.

 

   Afterwards, Timothy could not figure out if it was a dream or a vision or real or a kind of mix of everything. All he knew is one minute, he was sleeping and the next there was a man made out of yellow light standing at the foot of his bed.

   The man was faceless and huge. He was easily 7 feet tall and musclebound, if light could be musclebound. His legs were like tree trunks and his chest was wide and deep. He was bright and shiny as the sun but it didn't hurt to look at him. Timothy was frozen where he was in his bed. When he spoke it was like he pushed thoughts directly into Timothy's head and they were whispery and echoed a lot. But I will forego all that and let you imagine the effects for yourself.

   "Hail, aged one! Do not fear!"

   "I wish you were switched places with me! That's not easy advice to take," Timothy replied, shaking in his nightcap.

   "Tomorrow is Gus'...the one you call kinder.... 6th birthday," the bright man said solemnly.

   "I know what his name is and what tomorrow is!" snapped Timothy querulously.

   The bright man stood there silently. His shoulders were slumped in definite sorrow.

   "So....what do you want? And why you standing like you lost your best friend? It's a birthday tomorrow, not a funeral!"

   "My name is Leo. I am a self appointed guardian to little Gus and his constant companion. He...he is my best friend."

   "Okay," Timothy said.

   "Tomorrow, he will not see me anymore. His brain is developing...he is growing up. He will not see me anymore and eventually the memories of our stories and adventures will become flights of fancy, memories of fantasies of a little boy. Eventually, he may not remember me at all. Or if he does, it will be memories of a imaginary friend. So in a way...I will be losing my best friend."

   "Oh..." Timothy answered, "Well....sorry about that. I didn't know."

   "It is the way of the world. It is OK... I will still see him from time to time. But I do need your help. I have received word from the Power. Since I will not be seen, there is no reason for me to bodyguard him 24/7. I am to be re-assigned to other duties around the castle tomorrow."

   "What is the Power?" And what does this have to do with me?" Timothy asked.

   "The Power...is what we call the force that holds the universe in his hand. "He is in essence...my Boss."

   Timothy gulped. "I see."

   "Yes. Well, what they are refusing to see is that Gus still needs constant protection. That is why I appointed myself a constant guardian. But I must move on. I cannot defy the Power. If I do, I will be Warded. I cannot let that happen. Britin Castle is my home and I must continue to see it flourish and grow. And....and I cannot leave Gus, even if it is just to see him from the sidelines. But, more importantly, Gus still needs protection. So I have come up with a clever plan. But I need your help."

   "What can I do? And what is wrong? Why is the little kinder...uh...Gus in such trouble?"

   "Britin Castle was created in love, it is true. But on that day, a creature of evil thoughts and intents wandered too close to the edge of the forest and it too was caught and transformed. It looks like a man and he ingratiated himself into the Castle life. But he is NOT a man! He remembers his old nature, which was cunning and cruel and heartlessly predatory. He wishes with all his heart that he could get back to that life. But he does not know the way. He feels trapped between his old nature and his new life. And this makes him angrier, more vicious, and more dangerous than you can possibly imagine! And he has set his sights on Gus as his prey! The first born of the King of Britin Castle would be his ultimate revenge for his indignities as he views them. But with me around, he dares not approach. But this will all change tomorrow. Gus will be defenceless and ripped to shreds by the sunset of his birth festival. That is...unless we can outwit them and the powers that be!"

   "But who is this creature? What is he? And what can we do!?"

   "Stay close to the boy until all is ready. Do not let him go off alone with anyone unless it is his mothers, fathers, or yourself. Trust NO-ONE else within the castle! I do not know who he is! He is trapped within his mortal body now and I only can sense his malevolence. It is all around me...all the time."

   "And what is your plan? Surely skirting the rules of this...this...Power...cannot be easy."

   "It's not. In fact, it is impossible. However, if we do not actually break any rules, then we will be OK. And I have a plan. I have seen that you have become proficient as a tailor. That is why I come to you now. I will leave you with some of my essence. A part of me that I can leave as a kind of legacy to Gus. It will be like having me there...without me being there."

   And so saying, the entity began to expel out of its chest, a thin line of light. The light wrapped around his hand a few times and then around that and then became a ball. The light transformed into a golden thread. The light kept coming and coming and coming and the ball kept growing and growing and growing. Soon it was as big as a coconut. Then twice as big as that. At this point, the golden man stopped and bent, holding his knees, exhausted.

   "That's all I can do for now. I will come again tomorrow. Two balls should be enough for our needs."

   "But what needs? What should I do?"

   "You must weave the boy a garment that he can wear out of this thread. Or even with this thread mixed in with another to make it last longer. He will love it regardless but it should be something he can wear all the time, like a cloak or a jacket. Make sure you include a hood."

   "Hmmmm, cloaks aren't really the style nowadays. But I'll think of something," said Tim.

   "The boy will grow. Make sure you add to it, year by year. As long as he wears it, he will carry me with him and no harm will come to him. I will come again tomorrow. Good night, Son of Man." Leo faded away.

   After that, Timothy woke up. Which is why he couldn't be sure if it was a dream or not. But what was not a dream was the huge ball of shining gold thread sitting at the foot of his bed like a giant ball of spun gold.

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJ

   The next day, Timothy pondered on how to stay close to Gus. Finally, at the last minute and devoid of any other ideas whatsoever, he scrawled out in a curly script, a kind of gift certificate that stated that Gus be given on shoulders travel all day by him. And he gave it to the child along with his real gift as well.

   The other adults were concerned and unsure that Timothy could succeed in such a feat. But Timothy brushed it off like it was no big deal and did it. When Gus was not riding him, he stood a respectful 10 feet away but never took his eyes off the boy. As for Gus, he loved it. He whooped and hollered and rode his Opa in joy. And Timothy swore he could feel an invisible hand on his back, bearing him up all the day long.

   Timothy bore his burden in silence but it was not without cost. The next day, all day, he was bedridden with muscle spasms and pain. He took hot showers, muscle relaxants and slept.

   Leo came the next night as well, that is, the night of Gus' birthday. He confirmed he was the one holding him up all day thanks to his crazy scheme and before he left ran a healing finger down the length of his spine. He warned this would not fix the problem, that the next day would be bad but that this would stave off death. Timothy felt the warming hand of the Fairy run down his spinal cord from his brain stem to his buttcrack. A burning sensation ran over his spinal column and back like fire before subsiding and letting him fall into a deep slumber.

   Before this however, he again spun out from himself a huge golden ball of thread and declared that was all he could do. He would need to make the best of what he had there. He also assured Timothy that he could dye it any color he wanted as a golden cloak or jacket would be too flashy and attract a lot of unwanted attention. At Timothy's request, he also agreed to bodyguard Gus for one more day while he was incapacitated.

   "Thank you Leo. Thank you for everything you've done for the little kinder...And for me."

   "You're welcome, Son of Man," said Leo.

   Then he faded away and vanished from Timothy's and Gus' life....forever.

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJB

   The day after his day of rest, Timothy got to work. He knew he had not a moment to lose.

   He took to his loom and started to weave. He took some thick, white, cotton thread as well and for every 5 threads he wove in, he wove in a line of the thread Leo had left him. Somehow, the golden thread matched up with the look and feel of the cotton exactly except for the color.

   He called Justin, who he still knew to have the strongest bond with him and would indulge him, even if he sounded a little wacky. Besides, he believed in the bright men implicitly. Tim warned Justin about keeping Gus near them and under no circumstances was he to be left alone...even if it meant he was shadowed. Justin promised.

   Tim wove and wove and wove. He was like a man possessed. Every waking moment was devoted to this task and far into the night as well. He told no one about it. If anyone came over, he covered the loom entirely. As it was he reverted back into his hermit ways almost completely.

   Soon a white and gold bolt of cloth emerged. Timothy kept going feverishly.

   The bolt grew longer and longer and after about a week Timothy cast off a substantial amount and measured it. Satisfied, he began again and wove another bolt. And then, just to make sure, one more.

   He was left with 15 feet of the softest, most beautiful cloth you had ever seen. White with gold threads running throughout, it was fit for a Prince of old. But alas, this was not olden times and he did not want to embarrass Gus, so after admiring the beauty for a few moments, he sighed and found a large metal wash basin, added some water and then added the right amount of dye.

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJ

   At last it was done. The finished product was almost as beautiful as the bolts but in the end, Timothy didn't really care. If this is what would protect Gus, then this is what he would do.

   It was a hoody made of the softest, most comfortable cotton imaginable. It would breathe. It was zippered so it could be pulled on like a jacket. It was warm in the cold and cool in the summer. The hood was tightenable with a drawstring and somehow the darn thing was waterproof.

   Timothy had dyed the cloth a deep, scarlet red. It would be glaringly visible among the trees of the forest and be seen a mile away otherwise. The color of a robin's red breast he had seen one year, 40 years ago and/or a cardinal.

   He still had plenty of Leo's thread left. He wrapped the remaining balls in plastic and hid them deep in a closet and never told a living soul about them. He knew secrecy was paramount.

   Timothy accepted a dinner invitation that night and during dessert made the big reveal. Everyone ohhh'ed and ahhh'ed over it and predictably, Gus loved it. Adored it; almost to the point of needing it.

   "Is that mine!? Really mine, Opa! Can I wear it now? Right now!?"

   "Gus! Manners!" worried the blond WASP-y carpet muncher.

   Timothy took great pleasure in pretending he was temporarily deaf.

   "Yes, my kinder! Yes, right now! I made it just for you and I want to fit it on you and see how it looks, right now!"

   And Gus hopped right over and Timothy slipped it on. It dipped a little too far past his waist and a bit too long in the arms but that's just how Timothy planned it.

   "Oh...it's too big Opa!" Gus said, a little upset.

   "Nonsense! You'll quickly grow into it, my little dandelion! And in no time, you'll come to me saying it's too tight. And when that happens I will alter it and make it bigger for you! So as long as you love it!"

   "Then I'll love it forever!" Gus declared. And he climbed right up on Timothy's lap.

   Timothy breathed a huge sigh of relief and felt a knot of worry that he had gotten so used to that he had forgotten was there, finally untie and float away from his insides. He hoped somehow Leo could see them.

   "I know you will, kinder," he said, softly stroking his feathery soft hair, " I know you will."

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJ

TBC

REVIEWS ARE LOVE!!

 

A Sneak Peek! Next Time on The Red Hoody....!!

 

Five years ago....day of the Birth of Britin Castle...

 

   The beast was hungry. The beast was his stomach and it ruled him utterly.

   He always seemed to be hungry. He roamed the forests constantly, hunting always hunting. His favourite was deer for that at least was a decent meal; rabbits and the like were useless, nothing more than a bite sized tease. But he was always hungry so he didn't turn his nose up and besides they were kind of fun to chase as they ran...as if they really thought they could get away.

   He snarled and sniffed the air. Something...something was coming.

   He trotted toward it. He thought it might be an especially juicy deer, already killed and ready for him. That was always the best. He loved it when he didn't have to chase them down first. Although...he really did like the chase as well.

   The thing was coming. It was fetid and rotten and smelled of death. The creature stopped, confused. He whined. This was no deer. It was too strong. He didn't know what it was...but he liked it.

   He bounded forward his voice coming out in a yelp. Whatever this thing was...he wanted it! He wanted to be a part of it! He heard the crashing and smelled the earth unheaving rather than seeing the trees uproot. He ran on, closer and closer to the thing.

   He hit the shockwave head on. He felt the energy, the power flow into him and still it was too much and he was knocked back a few feet. He flipped over twice backward and was astonished when he landed on his hind legs.

   GRRRRRRAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRR!!!!" he roared. He continued to transform.

   His fur grew thicker, greyer, and longer. His muscles grew huge. His front legs turned into hairy arms with bulging biceps . His back legs transformed, his knees reversing with a sickening snap. He yelped in pain but it was quickly over and then he found he could stand up....up...up...

   He was huge. Easily 8 feet tall, he towered over all life in the forest. His hands were still paws but the claws were now twice as long as sharp and pointy like daggers. He felt his teeth with his tongue. They were likewise as long and sharp as knives.

   His hearing had improved and so had his smell. He could now detect that wily old man who always eluded him 2 miles away. However he could now detect that the man was old and tough and unattractive to eat anymore. He looked and sniffed elsewhere. There was a horse in the forest. Ahh yes, the man-beast's Clydesdale. The creature was tempted but decided not to bother with the horse's deadly hooves for the sake of what would now be a very unsatisfying meal.

   But the man-beast! The man-beast was a different thing altogether! The monster (for that's what he was now) had always wanted to fight him, to kill him, to beat him up if not just for the sake of becoming his Alpha. Or maybe just to rip his throat out. But as predatory as he was, he always knew he would he would come up short. He flexed his biceps, his huge, wide chest and gave a short triumphant roar. Now....now might be the time to change all that.

   With a second, satisfied snuffling snarl, he began to push his way through the forest to where he knew to be the man-beast's lair. He could smell them. He could tell they were very near....Their blood....it smelled so....so sweet.....