- Text Size +

 

 

Justin listened to that last voicemail what seemed like a million times. He stopped calling Brian every day about a month back. He would turn his phone off when he was drinking and painting so it would be more difficult to call him drunk again. He painted scenery and different things that made him think about Brian, but not obsess over him. He used the colors they were planning for their wedding with golden gardenias painted across the canvas.

They were happy memories of home and the life he almost had. He wanted it back, but knew Brian was right and he had to really move on. Not just say he was going to and then call him again. But first a trip home was in order. He missed everyone there. His mom, Daphne, Michael, Debbie and the diner. He wanted to be in Pittsburg again.

"Brian Kinney. Leave a message."

"Hello," Justin said softly, "I know I said I wasn't going to call anymore and I think I've been doing a good job. It's been a few weeks since I left a message. I started turning my phone off while drinking so I wouldn't call you.


This isn't one of the 'I love you so much' messages. I just wanted to call and tell you that I'm heading back to Pittsburg in a few days for a week or so. Not going to beg you to get together, but it would be nice to see you. For nothing other than to really say 'goodbye.' I think it will help both of us just one more time. 


I feel like I need to apologize for turning your life upside down all those years ago. If I hadn't wandered off or gotten hit by a baseball bat we probably wouldn't be here. But I know you'd tell me to shut the fuck up and never apologize. So I won't. Again.

But I thought I'd give you a heads-up that I was coming into town, but now that I think about it you may not be there. Please don't run away because I'm flying in. Okay, I'm gonna go because I'm making a fool of myself again, but I'll hopefully see you in a few days. Bye, Brian."

Brian was amazed that Justin was going to be able to come home. He knew that Justin wasn't exactly well off living in New York and since they're not together it wasn't like it was Brian saying 'come home I want to see you' and giving him some frequent flier miles to use on the trip home.

He went to call Justin back but decided against it. He didnt need to leave a message or talk to him right then. He needed to be drunk and dancing at Babylon.

"What's up with him?  Emmett asked Ted.

"Justin;s coming home," Ted responded. "He'll be here in a couple days. He said he needed to not know what he was doing for a little while."

"Have they talked?"

"No, but the entire office knows he sits and listens to voicemails from Justin practically all day," Ted confessed to Emmett.

Emmett was shocked; that didn't sound like Brian Kinney. Normally he would have shaken it off and try not to feel, but with Justin, it was definitely different. So Emmett felt a need to talk to Brian about Justin coming home.

Emmett made his way down to the dance floor and pulled Brian away. "Honey, you need to talk."

"No, I need you to fuck off," Brian said going back to dancing with the sea of men.

"Brian," Michael said coming up and standing next to Emmett.

"He's coming home. Who gives a shit?"  Brian said not turning his attention to them.

Brian had realized that he truly had lost Justin. It was over between them. He knew that he pushed Justin to live his own life, but he had hoped that, as usual, Justin would ignore Brian's wishes and continue to bother him and call him daily.

Brian kept replaying the message Justin had sent him informing him he'd be in town soon. Brian contemplated leaving on an unexpected business trip to avoid having to get 'closure' like Justin wanted. He didn't really want it all to end. But he didn't leave. He continued to do his work and maintain a professional image.

Cynthia had noticed a little difference in him since he got back from New York, but she wasn't sure if it was a good change or a bad one just yet. He didn't come back and scream at her or fire her so something must have happened for him to be calm after returning. She knew that he had seen Justin, but they didn't speak. Maybe just seeing him made Brian remember how he was a little more empathetic to others while Justin was around.

"Justin Taylor. You know what to do."

"Hello," Brian started very softly, "um, just calling to say I got your message. You know I hate the coupley things that people do when they stop being one. Not that we were ever a normal pairing. But if that's what you need, to talk, I can try, I guess.

I'll see you when you get here. I mean you'll probably track me down through Michael or Debbie so there's no point in trying to avoid you.

Justin."

There's a knock at the door. "Fuck," Brian said hanging up the phone quickly. He walked over to the door and slid it open.

"Hello," Justin said.

The End.
TaylorMUnd is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Hello also liked 690 other stories.