- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Dedicated to my six dwarves, TAGgy, Yummy, Flossee, JAZZY, David R-sey, and Dec.<2> Anyone else wanna pipe up and make this an even seven?  Or more than seven? That'd be super!



Chapter 15

Love is Strength

   The next day...well...the next day...they were off! Our four heroes awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed as they realized...Yes! They had acquired all four objects they needed and they could at last leave this dangerous and oppressive forest environment.

   And so, as soon as they had woke and washed and dressed in their finest, they vacated the little store room. Well, that is, after they had hunted down Todd, the Muffin Man and asked where he got his leather cleaned. Todd was very tired but he managed to give them directions to his dry cleaners (well, you know, one of those magic ones) before toddling back to bed that had the blond and lean candlestick maker in it. (He'd had a VERY late night<wink>).

   Fortunately, the dry cleaners were top notch and when they were done, the suit was clean as a whistle and somehow even sexier. Brian, of course, wriggled his rump right into that ‘ass-tacular' suit and they left to meet up back at Ben's. They all had a nice breakfast and again thanked Ben for his hospitality. However, Ben wouldn't hear anything about that because they had returned his wayward son to him, a dream he had long ago, set upon a dusty shelf and given up on.

   They were also able to talk about the pregnancy issue. It seemed to Justin like he'd had to keep his mouth shut forever. However, the White Fairy had honored her part of the agreement and had come in the dream and Gus and Randal had agreed! They had decided Gus was to be the bearer. They all rejoiced anew.

   And soon after that, and with all of them helping, they were packed and parceled and Arrow was saddled and bridled and everything was just...ready.

   They trotted down the length of Main Street. It was packed and lined with the villagers. The whole town had come out to see them off.  They threw flowers and laughed and cried a little as they would now be sorely missed and Arrow very much so as well. Justin sat first in the saddle, then Brian where he could leisurely feel him up in a languid, constant kind of way that was driving Justin crazy in a good way. Holding onto Brian's waist was Gus and behind him was Randal.

   They waved to everybody and trotted slowly down the length of the town and when they reached the end they all turned and waved again. The whole town was there with the spherical mayor and Deb at the front, a red-headed figure they would never forget. A great cheer rose up and they waved madly. They all waved back and then turned forward to road that had been made infinitely easier to ease on down.

   Justin took out the aquamarine stone and said in a firm, clear voice, "To King Carl's, that is, Gus' father, castle please...as fast as lightning!" And he threw it down on the ground before them.

   Instantly, a friendly blue portal opened up before them. It rippled and waved in front of them, like waves of water upon the shore. Through it, they could see a vague image of the ramparts and spires of a castle.

   And just like that, Arrow stepped through, the air rippled around them, and they were stepping out the other end and the other end was King Carl's courtyard. The portal closed and vanished behind them.

   For two weeks the flower crown had served them well and truth be told, they had learned to wear it well and otherwise take it for granted. It had stayed green and fresh and limber throughout their stay.

   The instant they had stepped through the portal and beyond the borders of the forest, the crown turned black and brittle and every flower instantly died. Justin could feel it happen atop his head and he quickly took it off to have about a 5 second look as it continued to die and more over broke into pieces and then dust in his hands. He turned tortured eyes toward Brian.

   "Oh Brian! I'd forgotten! I wish I'd..."

   But they never got to know what he wished for that relentless spell caught up with them at last and he was silenced in a white flurry of feathers.

   "NO!!" yelled Brian.

   But alas, the spell was cruel, and a moment later there was a white swan strutting around the courtyard, honking softly and Brian was sitting in the saddle with his arms empty and useless.

   He did not cry. He was Brian Fucking Kinney for Chrissakes and he didn't do tears. However, he did take a very long and slow deep breath there on the saddle. Then he quickly dug through the saddlebag and found the leather collar, almost forgotten. He jumped down, caught up with the swan and snapped it on with practiced ease. Immediately, Justin the swan perked up a bit and rambled back over near Arrow. He picked something up out of the dirt with his beak and gave it to Brian.

   It was his ring. Of course, it wouldn't fit a swan.

   Brian took another huge cleansing breath, fisted the ring, and then put it in a pouch for safekeeping.

   "Uhh....Brian....You gonna be OK?" asked Gus carefully.

   "I'm cool. Why don't you and Randal go say hi to your dad while I go to the stable and get the cow. You're welcome to come with me but I'll be leaving as soon as I get her, maybe about fifteen minutes or so."

   "Of course we'll come with you, we won't leave you now! Not like this! Will we, Randal?"

   "No, of course not! Besides, remember, I've got a witch after me as well now!"

   "Well then, say your hello's and goodbyes boys! We've got places to go and witches to KILL!"

@@@@@@BJGR

   The cow was doing well. Two weeks and a bit of good stable living had done her a world of good and she had left painfully thin long behind and was fast approaching fat. The stable keeper, who was a lot nicer this time since he had been paid regularly for a while now thanks to her, let Brian know that he had been milking her regularly and that the milk was now very sweet and good.

   To avoid the long trip they had endured on the way here, Brian procured a small cart, loaded the cow onto it, along with a large quantity of food that she could munch on the way. He then hooked this cart up to Arrow.

   Arrow gave him a reproachful stare but Brian was used to him by now.

   "Oh, now stop your complaining! Did you want to wait while that fat lump walks? Or refuses to because she's hungry? This is just easier and besides you're strong enough to carry three of her!"

   Arrow rolled his eyes and blew a shot of flame out of the corner of his mouth. He was now clearly saying: "Geez what - tever! What a drama queen!

   The twinks showed up right on time but all was not well. Gus was hopping mad and Randal was trying to comfort him.

   "What's the matter Gus?" asked Brian.

   "My father, that's what's the matter!" Gus seethed, "Seems he's been enjoying "empty nest time" quite a bit more than he realized and he didn't even offer us hospitality. I know we have to go and we'd have had to refuse but it would have been nice to be asked! But no, nice to see you....when are you off again...rubber stamp...next in line..."

   "Now Gus, it wasn't quite as bad as all that..." Randal tried to play good cop. "Besides...we do have to get going..."

   "That's not the worst of it!" Gus insisted, ignoring him, "He also had gotten a visit from two old men who were peddling some sort of...of religion or something and he won't pay or help or support our wedding in any way! He says it was bad enough he was tricked into getting Melanie and Lindsay married and he wasn't supporting another gay marriage. He's SEEN THE LIGHT, or so he says. He just kept using that as an excuse...Oh..I've seen the light....seen the light...Ohhhhhh!!!" Gus growled. "I'm so mad I could bite through nails!"

   "Hnmmmm.....I wonder what these douche bags looked like," mused Brian.

   "Wonder no more! They were both old men. Shriveled. One was bald and had glasses and had a round head and the other looked like he was always sucking on a lemon," said Randal.

   "Ohhhhhhh...gotcha! Come on boys we know exactly who these guys are! Bald...probably a round head...glasses..."

   "Oh, of course!" Randal was disgusted, "Walter!"

   "And the other one has to be...Craig...!" Brian spat out the name like it was a disease on his tongue. "As soon as we deal with them, I'm sure your father will snap out of this...thing he's into. It's most likely a spell."

   "You're probably right," Randal agreed. He shuddered. "Uhhhggghh! Dealing with one of those old coots was bad enough! It's going to be a real challenge taking them on now that they've teamed up!"

   "We can do it!" Brian declared, "But first we gotta get there! So climb aboard! Time to get going!"

   Everyone climbed on Arrow, except for Justin who flew up and alighted on the cow's back, which was now more than ample and settled in. The cow moo'ed a little in surprise but otherwise did not object.

   Then they were off, and somehow Arrow managed to put up a fast but normal pace that would be ok for wagon pulling. However, he could feel his young master's contempt and as a ‘screw you!' to that castle, just as they left he delicately lifted his tail and let a patty drop. This one smelled like full on skunk spray and was so strong that all the big strong guards standing in the courtyard retched and/or puked and/or passed out. It would be quite some time before it could be removed and disposed of.

@@@@@BJGR

   Summer was nearing its zenith. They didn't really realize the passage of time besides the two weeks they had to wait but it seemed as if there must have been some unaccounted days because the summer was at its height. With a bit of a jolt, Brian realized he hadn't been keeping track and had no idea how many of the 104 days they had left or even if they had any days left.

   It was sultry and hot during the day and mild during the night. All this had been muted in the almost perpetual shadow and shades of the forest. On the open road and in normality at last, summer hit them with full force. Bushes were heavy with berries and fields were heavy with nearly, or totally ripe crops. Haystacks were gone and cornfields were high. Dawn was early and sunset was not until 10 pm or so. In the days that followed Brian frequently got Gus and/or Randal to steer Arrow while he slept in the cart since now that the flower crown was gone he was once again a night owl. Literally.

   Thanks to Arrow and the carted cow, the return trip was a lot faster but it still took about 4 days or so.  But at last they were at the crossroads where Brian had...ahem...appropriated the cow. Far in the distance off to one side was a huge stalk that had been chopped down. It was green and ragged and unevenly chopped and looked totally alien. They kept going.

   And then they were at the picnic site. They were re-entering the woods. They could see the tower. And suddenly Brian was calling a halt.

   "Are we there?" asked Gus excitedly.

   "We are, or as near as I can remember before getting caught in that evil dick's trap. For now we better stop. And don't go any further forward or you'll be frozen and at his mercy. And he has none. I'm going to have a hunt around for that flower."

   And this is what he did. He began a long, slow, careful circuit of the tower, looking careful under bushes and around trees. He took his time and didn't get too near the tower but looked as far in as he dared but he often wondered if he was too far away or he was doing enough.

   He needn't have worried. About halfway around, on a grassy copse, exactly halfway between two willow trees, was the flower. It looked exactly like the one the White Fairy had showed him, although maybe a little larger. But it had the five wide petals of bright, distinct colors, one of silver, one of blue, one of green, one of orange, and one of white. They all glowed a little with an unearthly sheen.

   Brian gave a grim, triumphant smile, the one where his lips curled inside over his teeth and he hastened over to pick it and put it in his buttonhole. Then he practically ran back to the others.

   "I found it! I found it! At last, I think we've got those sonofabitches over a barrel!" Brian yelled, as he returned to the camp and Gus and Randal were in sight.

   They didn't answer and moreover looked positively woe-be-gone.

   "Hey! What's the matter, boys? You look like you've seen a gh-OHHH, MY SWEET GOOD GOD!!!"

   He turned a bit of a corner and there was Walter standing a few feet away keeping them covered with a strange, gnarled wand.

   "Well, well, well! Looks like midsummer's long past! And so's your magic! Now I'll have my revenge!"

   "Good grief! That is the scariest, ugliest mask I've ever seen! You nearly gave me heart failure!"

   "You fool! This is my face!" Walter yelled furiously.       

   "Really! I couldn't tell! Sucks for you!" quipped Brian, smiling viciously.

   "GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!" Walter was speechless with impotent rage.

   "That magic may be passé! But I was told of a new talisman! Get back, demon!" Brian held the flower aloft.

   "Fool! That's for the other witch! That has no power over me!" Walter waved his wand and an orange beam of magic streamed out. It hit Brian in the chest. The flower partially protected him but he was still thrown back 50 feet and against a tree. The magic beams wrapped themselves around him like iron and suddenly he was tied inescapably to the tree.

   "NO! You fucker! Let me outta this! Leave them alone!" Brian yelled ineffectively.

   Walter just laughed horribly and waved his wand and turned Arrow into a tiny, black puppy dog.

   "And now! At last I'll have my revenge! I'll find another tower and lock you up and away and this time, there you'll stay. You'll be my son, my lover, my toy, and do whatever you're told, just like a good little boy should!" he told Randal smugly and crazily, with his eyes rolling randomly in their sockets with madness.

   "No! Don't you touch him! Besides, I'll just rescue him again!" yelled Gus.

   "Not with your ride turned into a puppy dog you won't. You'll never find us again! It'll be just you...and me....forever!!" Walter gibbered madly.

   "I will never...ever...do anything...you want again!" Randal declared bravely, "We are not related and when we were together...you were a terrible father! I'll never do anything you say again!"

   "Oh yes you will! I'm going to reach into your core and take your heart! The magic core of you and when I have it in my hands your life will belong to me! You will do what I say, say what I tell you and otherwise be my puppet and property. You'll never be free again!"

   "NO!! YOU FUCKER! YOU SADISTIC SHIT!!!  When I get outta this...!" Brian yelled, straining against his bonds. It was no use.

   "You monster!" yelled Gus.

   Walter only cackled horribly. He shuffled forward. He lunged.

   "NO!" yelled Gus, and launched sideways in front of Randal. At the last minute he blocked Walter from Randal and Walter's hand was thrust inside of Gus' chest.

   "Well, well, well!! Two twinks for the price of one! I guess I can make this an unholy trinity! Just think of all the delicious threesomes we'll have!"

   "You disgusting pervert! That will never happen! We've agreed on a monogamous relationship unless we decide together and I think we can both agree...that means, not you!"

   "You'll change your tune once I take your heart!" Walter pulled his hand. He frowned. He tugged but it wouldn't pull out of his chest.

   "I can feel you in there, you know," Gus said conversationally, "Feels...quite nasty actually."

   "But why...can't I..." Walter pulled frantically.

   "Because I'm not ready to let you go yet," Gus said in this spooky yet totally Dom way that went straight to Randal's dick.

   "Wha...What are you talking about?" Walter finally started to sound a little scared.

   "I would never let you near his heart. His heart belongs to me. And mine belongs to him. That's why you can't pull free, Walter. You've put your hand into a very dangerous cookie jar, witch!"

   "But how!!? How did you do...how did you know to do this!?" Walter tugged his hand with all his might but it was indeed like a boy caught in the cookie jar and he could not get loose.

   "I knew the instant your diseased digits entered my chest. You were after Randal but I took his place and was glad to do so. I love him. I love him and you never did. You used him. You will never come near him again."

   "Love!" Walter scoffed. "Don't make me laugh!! What do you know about love? Do you think because you say it that you feel it? Do you really think that's going to make him stick around forever? Do you really think a wedding is going to change anything!? Hate to break it to you, sweetcheeks! Vows are broken all the time! Loving is hoping and never getting. Love is having your heart broken. Love is realizing nothing lasts forever! Love is weakness!"

   "No it isn't!" Gus declared, "It's strength!"

   Walter burst into flames. He was pushed away forcefully. And as soon as he was away from them he exploded in a combination of fire and magic. He was disintegrated into dust and magic dust particles.

   The orange bands binding Brian vanished and he was free. There was a puff of black smoke and the little black puppy dog transformed back into Arrow.

   There was a moment of well-deserved silence.

   "He's gone! He's really gone! My God!...My love!...My hero!"

   The last was said very sultry and Randal grabbed Gus into his arms and dipped him deep into a kiss that curled their toes and warmed their stomachs.

   "You saved me...again. Thank you! I love you so much Gus!"

   "I love you too, Randal. And no thanks necessary. You know, I'd rescue you a thousand times over!"

   "Only a thousand?"

   "More than a thousand then! How many times you plannin' on getting into trouble!?" Gus asked, all mock gruff.

   "I'm planning on getting YOU into trouble some very soon!" Randal declared with a lascivious leer.

   Gus gave an excited hitch and kissed Randal with an absolutely hard and all-consuming killer kiss. Randal gave back as good as he got and soon the babes in the woods were practically humping each other's legs.

   "You know, I'm going to scout ahead..." Brian murmured to no one in particular, since the twinks weren't listening. He began to wander away.

   "You know, that was really hot the way you talked to Walter," Randal said shyly

   "You have to know he was totally full of shit right?" asked Gus concernedly; hoping this incident wouldn't trigger another nightmare later.

   "Oh, I've always known that!" Randal said, "But there was nothing I could do about it before. No...I mean that whole...I'm not ready to let you go...thing..." Randal blushed adorably.

   "Oh, really? Interesting....Well that's good. Because that goes for you too," Gus said in that same, hot, Dom voice, "I am never letting you go either! Not for a second!"

   Now Randal gave an excited hitch and ‘sprrooiingggg!!!' his dick stood very stiff to attention like a good little soldier does.

   "Oh Gus! I want you so bad! No...I need you...now!"

   Gus gave a feral kind of growl and picked Randal up fireman carry style and rushed behind a few trees. He spread out his and Randal's cloaks and then laid out Randal on top of them. Randal's shoulder length hair fanned out around him. It was neater now but he had never cut it shorter than this.

   "Mmmmmmm! Just like the first time!" Gus said. He lowered down, framed Randal ‘s face in his hands and kissed him deeply. The two of them began frenching wildly.

   And then coherent thought...or clothes...ceased to have any meaning for a little while.

TBC