- Text Size +

Chapter 7


Flight of the Arrow



   After Gus came back to himself, he had a confident air and a sexy glow about him that hadn't been there before.


   He bowed to his mother and father and formally took leave of them. Then he strode out of the throne room without a backward glance and summoned his valet. He commanded him to pack a bundle for him with the idea in mind that he might not be back for a good long while.


The valet snapped his heels in understanding and hastened away to obey.


   "Uhhh....Gus?"


   "Hmmm? Oh, hey Brian. Are you still here?"


   "Yeah Gus. I'm still here. Look Gus, I...I have to...I mean I...geez, this is awkward..."


   "Look Brian, I'm over this. I have to....well you were there, you know what I have to do.  And I'm going to do it. I'm leaving in an hour so if there's something you want to get out, now's the time.  But Michael's right. I've apologized, tried to make amends and that's all I can do. I'll still make sure your cow's looked after. But I'm not going to beat myself up about it or let you..."


   "Michael was right," Brian said quietly, "I was abusing you. And for that, I'm sorry."


   That shut Gus up. He waited.


   "I still don't understand what happened. Both with you and Justin and with myself. I didn't realize I was so angry until it was too late. But I shouldn't have berated you like that or been so unforgiving."


   "OK..." Gus said and waited for the other shoe to drop.


   And drop it did. "Well, look Gus...as I said this is awkward. But I'll eat as much crow as I have to...Because the thing is....I think I have to come with you."


   Gus narrowed his eyes. "Ohhh I see! So that pretty speech...that apology...was just eating crow huh? Did you even mean that apology? And why would you need to come with me?"


   "Yes, I meant the apology! And I only meant I'd do whatever I could to make things right. But right now I don't know what that is! But I did mean it!"


   "OK. So you meant it. So what?"


   "So I think you and I are looking for the same guy."


   "Oh?? Now who should be jealous here?"


   "It's nothing like that. It was when Michael mentioned pickles.  One of the next ingredients we need is a pickle not used for eating. I think your guy is the one we need to find."


   I see." Gus fidgeted uneasily. "So....what are we going to do?"


   "Well look...you apologized to me and I just apologized to you. Why don't we just shake on it and call it a truce?"


   "Because this isn't just about apologies and forgiveness! A minute ago you were ready to tear me a new asshole! There was only resentment in your heart and then Michael came and changed everything. Now you've changed your tune but the song is still the same, Brian! What about when we're on the road and alone? Are you still going to be so forgiving two days down the road? What about three?" Gus gasped. "Brian....what about tonight?"


   And Brian's eyes widened as he realized it would be as quickly as that when he would transform and Justin would be back and it would be he and Gus traveling alone together all night while he was off hunting rabbits and rats.


   He slumped a little against the castle wall and groaned softly, "Ohhh...I don't know!"


   Gus rolled his eyes. "Oh for...this is ridiculous! And completely unnecessary! This must be resolved...NOW! Brian, you have nothing to be jealous over! Down there in the caves, there was a moment...a moment that I let myself feel...something I shouldn't have. But I didn't have all the information. And once Justin set me straight, he became my friend, my mentor, my hero...and my brother. And that's how I love him now. And how he loves me too. Oh, Brian, do not begrudge me that! Oh God! I have wanted a brother for my entire life!"


   Brian had to smile a little at that. If it was anyone who needed a brother, it was a boy with 11 sisters!


   "I guess I can understand that," Brian said. "But what about at night around a campfire glowing and I'm off flying around, helpless to stop..."


   "Brian! There is nothing to stop! I keep telling you and telling you...Look Brian, you said before we should kiss and make up right? Well, down there in the caverns, I thought it was you there too! So technically, half that kiss was yours!"


   Brian frowned in confusion. "Meaning what, Gus?"


   "Meaning this, you stubborn fool!" And darned if Gus didn't grab him by the lapels, yank him down to his level, and kiss him hard!


   Brian tried to pull away but Gus was 18 years strong and he merely cupped a hand around Brian's neck to hold him in place and kept going. The kiss itself was hard, proprietary and closed mouthed but it lasted long enough to settle things. There was a decided smacking sound as Gus finally pulled away and ended it.


   "There! You're even! Now, you're free to tell Justin and you can both be jealous together or....you can realize I love you both the same and....not be. Whatever the case, get your shit together and meet me in the courtyard if you are coming with me. I leave in thirty minutes with or without you!"


   And with that, he strode away to his room to oversee his valet and gather his personal treasures that were a sure bet his man would overlook.


   Brian was left staring after him, his eyes wide and (although he'd never admit it to save his life) his lips tingling.


@@@@@@@


   Thirty minutes later, Gus strode out of the castle and smiled. In the courtyard, by the huge, black, supernatural horse, Brian was waiting, basket in hand, and a bag of supplies over his shoulder, and in short, all shit gotten together.


   "Are you ready then? Really ready?" asked Gus.


   "Yes Gus. I'm sorry."


   "That's all right. Let's just get this party started! Oh, and you better call Justin! I brought this for him...for both of you to ride in, if he doesn't stop. Gus presented a large and deep basket that would fasten onto a snapped fastener on the huge saddle. The saddle itself came with the horse and was so big; four men could have ridden on it with ease. And this can tell you how supernaturally big this monster of a horse was!


   Gus and Brian packed their bags onto the horse, like saddlebags and climbed aboard. The horse was fine when Gus climbed on but when Brian climbed aboard the horse gave a decidedly affronted snort and then turned his head so that one red eye was trained on Brian. He gave a dangerous whinny and snort of flame that was easily translated as: "What the FUCK!?"


   Gus petted his soft mane and soothed the horse. "It's OK. He's with me. Oh and a swan will be riding with us in the basket. At night it will be an owl and a blond man instead of this fellow. I'll introduce you to him. It'll be all right. You'll love him."


   The horse snorted and nodded to say he understood. The resulting flame rolled across the yard and lit the stocks on fire. He looked at Brian square with that one red eye and narrowed it. "I'm watching you!" it said. Brian gulped.


   The horse leapt forward and they were off. Gus grabbed the saddlehorn and the reins desperately and Brian grabbed onto Gus desperately. They both gripped with their knees very hard and they both thanked any and all gods they were fags at that moment; they both had very strong thigh muscles.


   Brian blew on the whistle and didn't let up until he saw a patch of white coming toward them. And by the time he did they were on the road.


   The horse had crossed the courtyard in two jumps and was out the huge doors in a trice. Gus could tell he wanted to really let loose, to gallop at his highest speed, which would have been a very high speed indeed. Gus was pulling the reins, whispering in his ear and the horse had decided to humor him and keep his pace at a medium trot. Of course, this translated into a high gallop of a normal horse.


   Brian blew again so that Justin could get his bearings. Justin was flying after them at top speed and still it was like a person running to catch a train.


   "Slow down...slow down..." whispered Gus, "Once we get Justin...the swan squared away, we'll go as fast as you want. Faster. Just...a little slower now!"


   The horse slowed to a light canter that was actually a fast trot.


   Justin flew and flew and finally began to catch up.


   "Hurry Justin, hurry!" yelled the two boys.


   "HOOONNNK!!" came a very pissed off honk that was easily translated into: ‘I'm hurrying assholes!"


   Finally, Justin was flying abreast of them and then a little ahead. But he was flapping hard and Brian knew he couldn't keep that up for long. He reached out and made a grab and found himself with an armful of feathery, fluffy, flapping, frustrated, and otherwise baffled, bedeviled and beleaguered blond boy...uh...swan.


   "HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK!" cried Justin, flapping madly, trying to adjust to the air current. Brian tried his desperate best not to let go, despite Justin flapping his large wings in his face.


   Somehow....later all three of them couldn't figure out exactly what happened...but somehow at last they managed to get Justin ensconced in his basket. He was fretful at first but soon settled in and then looked up at Brian as if to say: What the HELL is going on here?!!


"It'll take a while to explain," Brian yelled, "But let's just say, I owe you a loooong letter!"


   And then there wasn't time to get anything else out because they were off! As soon as the horse saw that Justin was safe, he let out a great whinny, pawed the air and took off and this time nothing could or would stop him.


   It was like being an arrow shot from a crossbow. The countryside flashed by in a blur and still he seemed to go faster and faster. And it was at this point that Gus decided to call this amazing animal, Arrow.


   They became aware of a wet sucking noise. From out of the horse's sides its fur was changing, and then a whole section of it detached. Then there was another wet, sucking, popping noise and another section attached to the first...SCCHHHHTOCKK!! That detached and unfolded and it wasn't fur but wet feathers! However, Arrow, spread them wide and his speed and the wind made short work of them and they were dry in a few moments. And next moment after that, Arrow gave them a hard flap and then another and then they were airborne!


   Gus and Brian gasped in surprise and excitement and instinctively Brian tightened his grip around the young prince's waist. Both of them were overcome with the joy of the moment. Of course, Brian knew what it was like to fly but that was as an animal and under his own power. It was another experience altogether to be atop a vehicle, a steed heading for parts unknown, with the wind in your face and your cares flying away behind you and then falling to be dashed to pieces on the earth below.


   Best of all, the ride smoothed out altogether and it became much more enjoyable. Arrow flew higher and higher, glided, turned a few times and then straightened out and zoomed away, knowing exactly where he was going.


   The entire world spread out before them like a magic carpet. Fields and forests, towns and roads, swamps and mountains, all had lost their power over them and they flew over them all. Once, in the far distance, Brian saw a thin, crooked spire, jutting up into the sky, taller than them, taller than anything, reaching all the way up into the clouds. It looked suspiciously like a beanstalk.


   However, Arrow cared nothing for that and turned westward; his wings beat out a strong and steady rhythm that carried them swiftly on toward their destination that only he knew.


   A few hours later, they came to the start of the Wild Western Woods and to say it was vast was an understatement. The forest started suddenly, a line of green trees that stopped every field, every meadow, every road, and every town dead in its tracks and then continued on like a green carpet as far as the eye could see. Arrow flew over the carpet and soon the carpet became a green sea, a vast wilderness as far as the eye could see in every direction.


   The Wild Western Woods was a wonderful place, an enchanted place, and a dangerous place. It was wonderful because it was largely unspoiled, overgrown and given over to the creatures that lived there. There were the occasional self-sustaining village here and there but otherwise it was given over to the thick and fast growing wilderness. Much game, foxes, rabbits, deer, bears, stags, reindeer, moose, squirrels, wolves, beavers, raccoons, badgers, and many other woodland animals roamed and lived within the vast forest. The sparkling clear lakes that dotted the Woods were full of fish and water fowl that lived among the bulrushes. The clearings and meadows were full of long wild grasses and brightly colorful wildflowers.


   It was an enchanted place because many spells and enchantments, both recent and terribly old, held their power over many sections of the forest, both small and large. You never knew which step would turn you to stone or wood, trap you in an endless time loop, change you into an animal, turn you 60 years older or worse yet, 60 years younger, which meant if you were under 60 years old you would blink out of existence. Witches of all ilk lived in hermitage, far apart but in many parts of this huge forest and anyone of them would not hesitate to turn you into a frog or salamander or spider or a rat, or take you prisoner to eat you or something else far more unpleasant, if you were unlucky enough to cross their path and get on their bad side.


   It was a dangerous place because of said witches and enchantments and just because it never ended. Getting lost and then falling into a trap was easier than blowing out a candle. Moreover, the woods were dangerous at night. Certain spots were ruined and wasted away. Giant spiders, werewolves, snakes, evil satyrs with the mange, chimeras, and many other horrible creatures also called the Western Woods home. There were trolls who in spite of their large and ugly ears were practically deaf because of all the disgusting mucus-ey, waxy build up in them. They were blowhards and bullies and set up home under the bridges that spanned the gullies and forest streams and preyed on anyone who tried to cross them with stupid riddles. However, if you used your noodle for something else than a hat rack, you could easily figure them out.  Carnivorous plants, and sentient vines that would crush you just for the hell of it, grew everywhere. And so, for these reasons, it was a feared place as well as wonderful.


   However, Arrow knew of none of these things and cared even less. He flew over it all, hill and dale, stone and wood, villages and waste, witches and beasts. All day he flew, toward the afternoon sun that grew lower and lower and more and more into the men's eyes. At last, at about 2 hrs before sunset, Arrow veered off to the right a little and dropped down toward a small lake in the middle of nowhere. He landed on the shore as graceful as a dove. He stood there, waiting until they dismounted. Justin jumped out and flew into the lake, skimmed it, and then flew in high circles around the lake for a little while exercising out his cramped muscles. Gus and Brian did the same, walking around the shore a bit.


   As for Arrow, there was another wet, sucking noise as his wings folded in and disappeared against his body. He lifted his tail gracefully into the air and dropped out four large patties that smelled of strawberries, orange blossoms, peppermint and beer, respectively. Then he trotted down to the lake and walked part way in and drank for a good long while. Then he made his way over to a grassy area and started eating and pretty much ignored the other three from then on.


   When Brian and Gus felt a little more like themselves, Gus ran over to Arrow and pulled out a couple of crude fishing rods and Brian made a circle of stones and used a piece of deadwood to scoop the poop and put them in the center. (He wasn't touching them no matter how good they smelled!) Then he added the wood and a few other small pieces of wood from around the edge of the forest. By unspoken agreement, none of them ventured any deeper into the forest.


   When Brian was done, he joined Gus who was waiting for him shyly with the other pole.


   "It was only yesterday but it seems so much longer when you took me fishing," Gus said, as shyly as he looked. "Much has happened but it cannot excuse my behavior. I ask again, can you find it within yourself to forgive me? Can we find some common ground so that you can take me fishing, once again?"


   And Brian looked into Gus' eyes and saw that he was contrite and truly repentant. He took a long shuddering sigh and took the second rod and then gathered the younger man into his arms. Gus rested his head on his chest and Brian rested his chin on the top of Gus' head. They both stood there for long minutes and Brian felt a surge of...something....protectiveness, affection, and...something else he could not identify. It was not bad but he wasn't sure it was entirely good either.


   "Oh God, this is so fucked up! But we are here, both alone and far from home. Both separated from partners who are held at bay with magic. If that's not enough common ground for right now, I don't know what is. And yet, it's still a little worse for you since you have to deal with the two of us!"


   "It'll be better now since I know the truth," said Gus, "And besides...I only have to deal with one of you at a time," he observed with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.


   Brian spun him around and gave his butt a playful swat. "Twat! Let's go fishing! As for what's past, let's leave it exactly there. In the past. Your mistake was made because of our trick and you're sorry and I'm sorry because I shouldn't have gotten so angry with jealousy. OK?"


   "Oh yes! That's what I've been wanting forever!" They hugged again and then went to go fishing. They were careful not to splash the placid waters too much.


   In the center of the lake, making the waters seem even more serene, the swan floated and slowly swam.


@@@@@@


   Brian and Gus made short work of the fish, easily catching 3 each, making that 2 fish for all of them; Justin would have his when he transformed.


   Gus went to Arrow, and pulled out a frying pan from his saddlebag (his valet really had done a marvelous job) and then whispered into the huge horse's ear. The enormous equine sucked in a looooong, slow, affronted breath and then let it out even more slowly. The whole thing conveyed: The things I do for you humans!...and...You are damned lucky I do them too!


   Then he slowly, majestically walked his regal self over to the stone circle, lifted his bushy tail and squeezed out two more turds next to it for later. These ones smelled of roses and lilacs. Then he gave a quick snort, a breath, like the one gives to blow out a single candle. The resulting flame lit the kindling and uh...fuel in seconds and next moment there was a merrily blazing campfire.


   "Oh thank you, Arrow!" whispered Gus, and gave his face a pat. Arrow gave a rumble and a nuzzle back.


   "Yeah, thanks Horse-Head," said Brian flippantly. (He had been gutting and cleaning the fish all this time.) Arrow snorted and looked at him with slitted eyes like he was looking at someone who had stolen the crown jewels. Then he tossed his head in what should have been a playful manner but was rather like a lion trying to use a cat's scratch post. Then he trotted away to graze some more and then fall asleep in the grass at the edge of the forest.


   "Why does he love you and hate me?" grumbled Brian.


   "Perhaps it's because he was created for me. Not to mention that he just carried you around all day and you just called him Horse-Head!" answered Gus, pouring a little oil into the frying pan and holding it over the fire as it received two of the fish Brian had cleaned and deboned.


   The smell of frying fish soon filled the lakeside and within a few minutes they were ready.


   "Hurry and eat, before you transform. It's nearly time," said Gus curtly. He didn't want to think about what was going to happen.


   "Yes Gus. And you're right. I'll apologize to Arrow. But maybe tomorrow, once he's had some rest...and space."


   "Good idea. But I'm not upset about that. Well, not just that. I don't like it when I have to lose one of you!"


   "I know. I don't like it either. I hate it when I can only see Justin for a second at a time. And I miss him...and now both of you when I'm off and about. He reached out and cupped Gus' chin and lifted it to look in Gus' eyes. "And make no mistake. I will miss you. We both do. I can feel it." That strange feeling came again, in spades and Brian dropped his hand. But the feeling stayed and so did Gus' happy smile.


   "Speaking of which, you are right. It is almost time. Justin! Justin hon, it's time to come in! It's my time for the collar!"


   The swan came, honking and flapping like crazy, skimming the water. Then he was at the shore and then at the campfire.


   Brian took the golden chain from his own saddlebag and replaced it with the collar. As he placed the collar on his own neck, he charged Gus: "Be sure to take this off of him after he has transformed. There is magic on it to keep a wild animal placid so it's a cruel thing to keep it on a man. Promise me!"


   "I promise," said Gus.


   "Good boy," said Brian as he felt that strange feeling again, but it was too late to figure out what it was because it was time.


   The sun disappeared taking with it Justin's feathers. Gus, quick as thought, drew off the chain. Justin blinked and smiled up at Brian's handsome face.


   "I love you," they said as they touched palms. They got better at this every time they did this.


   Brian smiled and then stiffened as he felt the feathers fly. Then he was covered, and an owl was there and taking off across the lake.


   "Not too far, my love!" yelled Justin after him.


   There were five quick hoots in response. And then he was gone.


@@@@@@


   Justin looked after the disappearing owl for a long minute and then turned toward Gus. He held out his arms and Gus rushed into them.


   "I missed you! I missed you so much!"


   "Gus! Gus! It's only been a day!"


   "I don't care!" grumbled Gus rebelliously.


   Justin just laughed.


   "Well, I haven't missed you at all," he said, casting a sideways look at the young prince.


   "Why not!?" yelled Gus, turning to him and falling for it completely.


   "Because, my little monkey, I have been with you all day! And with the collar on, I understood and was with you the whole way. You have some explaining to do. Where on earth are we and why are we here?"


   "We're on a quest to save a prince from a tower," explained Gus, "To get there, we need to ride that horse," He pointed at Arrow. "And right now we're deep...very deep within the Wild Western Woods."


   "Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Why would Brian agree to go on that kind of quest? And where did that horse come from? It's obviously conjured magic. What happened today, Gus? Did Brian leave me a letter?"


   "No, there's no letter," replied Gus. When he saw Justin's crestfallen face, he quickly continued, "There was no time! We were very busy today and the horse....I call him Arrow, only put us down two hours ago. We've been setting up camp and cooking dinner since then." Gus grasped Justin's forearm. "You're all he talks about...all he thinks about. He loves you very much."


   Justin's smile was tremulous. "Really?"


   "Really. Come on. I'll explain everything from the beginning. I will be your letter."


   And so, Gus put on the remaining four fish and began to talk. He told him about Brian finding out they kissed and his terrible consequential anger.


   "Typical queen out!" Justin commented.


   He told him about his encounter with the fairy of Puppy Love as he served up the fish and the dramatic rescue from the chopping block as they ate. Justin was wide eyed and forgot to eat and it wasn't till Gus started in about Michael that he started to fork in more mouthfuls of cold fish. When he heard about the pickles of pleasure, he had a good long giggle fit. When he told Justin he'd kissed Brian to even the odds and pull Brian out of his funk, Justin was done his fish, stopped giggling, and was not pleased, but to his credit, he did not queen out as bad as Brian did. After that there was nothing more to tell him except that they started their journey on Arrow and had been flying all day over the Western Woods. And when he was done, it was deep night and the stars were out.


   "So....tell me about this kiss again," he demanded sternly.


   "Close mouthed. Prefunctory. Non romantic. I swear." Gus said, holding up a hand.


   Justin started giggling. "You can stop swearing. I'm sure Brian did that enough for the both of you today. Just...no more kissing...either of us, OK? You can't solve all your problems by kissing them away."


   "I know that! That's not what I was trying to do! There just didn't seem to be....I mean....Arrrgh! He wouldn't listen!!"


   Justin held his hand. "It's OK. I understand. I went through 5 years of that shit. Perhaps I still am and just aren't noticing anymore. But I understand what you're going through. And remember, he's going apeshit without....well, without being with me for so long."


   "I guess I can understand that," said Gus.


   "Good. Now let's get some sleep. I have a feeling we'll need it."


   And that's what they did. They put the extra patties on the fire. Then, Justin rolled himself up in the red and white checked blanket they had meant as a picnic blanket so long ago and Gus snuggled into his bedroll on the opposite side of the fire. That valet had really done a marvelous job. And unbeknownst to Gus, he had done such a good job because the valet had been half in love with the young prince. But when he had packed Gus off to seek his fortune, the valet had given up all hope and decided to have one more drink before ending it all. However, down at the inn, at that very moment, the valet bumped into the biggest, darkest skinned, strongest piece of beefcake they'd ever had as a bouncer there.


   The valet's dick sprang instantly to attention.


   "Oyy! Watch where you're going!" yelled the bouncer.


   "I'm very sorry. Buy you a drink to make up for it?"


   "D'uuuuuuhhhhhhhh........." replied the bouncer, who was unclear on the concept of conversation.


   The valet closed his eyes, clenched his fist and reached deep, deep, and desperately down into his past where he conjured the one very little piece of magic his old granny had taught him. He opened his fist and blew and a strange dust blew into the bouncer's face.


   "You do. You want to have a drink with me. A drink will make up for everything," the valet said quickly.


   The bouncer's eyes cleared and focused on a pair of the bluest eyes he'd seen.


   "Yes. A drink would be good. You can make up for bumping me."


   And with that, the valet and the bouncer went into the bar and talked long into the night and somehow ended back at the bouncer's place. The bouncer stripped to display every rippling, huge muscle to the salivating ex-valet. The ex-valet dropped to his knees to worship the muscle and began to reverently run his hands all over his....


   Well.....ahem.....Well, that's another tale and shall be told another time.


@@@@@@


   A loud screaming woke Justin from a sound sleep. He jackknifed up to a sitting position and looked around blearily. It was before dawn and just beginning to be light. The fire had gone out.


   "WHEEEEEE - HEEE - HEE - HEE - HEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!" The screaming came again and this time, he realized it was Arrow, very loudly waking them up.


   There was a large, brown owl sitting on a log, facing away from him, looking at the forest. As Justin focused on him, the owl turned his head all the way around so that he was looking directly at Justin. "HOO! HOO! HOO! HOO!!!" he said.


   "Good morning to you too, show off!" Justin replied.


   Gus stirred and began to wake up. "It's so cold!" he complained.


   "Maybe Arrow will help us with another fire," Justin replied.


   Brian fluttered on his log and then took off. That's when Justin saw them. Laid out in a neat row, their necks crushed but otherwise intact were two rabbits, two squirrels and 3 mice.


   "Ugghhh! What's that?" said Gus.


   "I think that's my partner's idea of helping us for food," said Justin.


   Said partner was now flying out over the lake. He glided, turned, turned....and dived straight into the water. Then he was out and coming toward them and dropped a large fish near the camp. He took off to try again. And he did it again.


   However, when Brian came back with his second fish, Justin stopped him.


   "Hold up, Mr. Man! Squirrels and rabbits are one thing but we ARE NOT eating mice or rats! You got me?"


   The owl looked up, his yellow eyes blinking impassively up at his partner's irate blue ones. Then he gave a few hoots, fluttered over and picked up each mouse by its tail, threw it up into the air and caught it on the way down and swallowed it whole. He did this right in front of them!


   Justin and Gus were properly and vocally disgusted. The owl gave a sort of shrug and flew off and caught another fish.


   Meantime, Arrow proudly showed them where he had pooped out a few more poots. These smelled distinctly like gingerbread and peanut butter. These were shoveled over into the fire pit and Arrow lit them on fire for them.


   The sky was distinctly brighter in the east but it was still cold. They stayed by the fire and cleaned the fish as best they could.  The fire dried the dew off their blankets.


   They managed to cook a fish for Justin to eat before he said, "That's all I have time for I think. The time is soon. I shall eat the rest of my meal as a bird, I think."


   Gus rushed into his arms. "Not yet! Not yet!"


   But Justin was right and sunlight was creeping onto the eastern shore. And they, on the western, watched it come. The owl came back with one last fish. He dropped it and touched down on the shore just as the sunshine touched it. Feathers flew and there was Brian back.


   Justin edged miserably away from that line. Oh, how could one hate the sunlight so much!?


   Brian plucked at the collar and took it off. He tossed it to Justin still in the shade.


   Justin caught it, put it on. Slowly advanced to the shade line. They stood on the barrier.


   "I love you," they both said.


   Justin choked. "I have so much to say. Now I can't think of anything."


   The sun line advanced. Each man took a step. It was a strange and careful dance.


   Brian put a hand through into the shade. Where it exited the sunlight, it was a wing. He pulled it back.


   "I wish I could touch you! So much!" he said brokenly.


   Each man took a step.


   "Try this," Justin said. He reached out into the sun. Brian reached into the shade. Brown stroked white and each pulled back.


   "Love you, Bri. Try not to bring us any more mice, OK?"


   "Deal. Love you too, Sunshine."


   Justin smiled as bright as his name and then surrendered to the real thing that would inevitably conquer him. He let the light shine on his face, in his eyes, blinding him so he wouldn't have to see the moment of transformation or what it was doing to his lover.


   "HONK!! The powerful white wings lifted him enough to skim and then sit on the middle of the lake.


   "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Brian pounded the sand with his fist in frustration and grief.


TBC


 

Chapter End Notes:

PLEASE REVIEW AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!! IT HELPS ME WRITE A LITTLE FASTER AND MAKES ME HAPPY!!

 

A/N: BLAAARRRGHH!!!! I really tried to get them to the tower and the pickles but it was just no use! This thing just keeps going! Next chapter for sure, I promise!!