- Text Size +

 

The adoption of Joshua was finally over. A month after Justin's release from Branchwood it was finally over. Joshie was officially Joshua James Kinney. After they left the courthouse Joshie kept introducing himself to everyone with his full name.

"Papa, is it time yet?" Joshie asked him.

After all the shit that they had been through in the past year, they planned a vacation. It was going to be amazing, best yet. No planes.

Brian had told Justin he wanted to leave before the sun came up. They had quite a drive ahead of them. Justin's doctor gave him the all clear to go. He hadn't lost any time since his hospitalization. Thank God for that. Once he got out and saw the kids again, he learned how forgiving children could be. His kids forgave him, even though he didn't think he deserved it. Brian told him that there was nothing to forgive, he didn't want to be sick. It wasn't a choice like to pick up a drug or a bottle.

Justin poured coffee into two large travel mugs. He was wearing black sweat pants and a Nike tee. He wanted to be comfortable. Most of this first day would be driving.

"Can I bring my princess dresses?" Briana asked from the kitchen table. She was eating cereal, so was Joshie.

"What did Daddy say last night?" he asked her.

"That I could only bring one," she murmured. "But I need all of them."

"Daddy said only one then it's only one. Everything has been packed into the SVU last night anyway."

"Where's Daddy?"

"Daddy is making sure everything is ready for us to be gone for two weeks."

"Like what?" Briana asked.

"Like making sure no child left water on in their bathroom," Brian said as he came into the kitchen, looking at a guilty faced Briana.

"Sorry, Daddy."

"It's okay. That's my job to make sure you rugrats don't flood the house."

Briana glared at him. Justin bit back a laugh. He loved times like this with his family.

"Is that what you're wearing?" Brian asked Justin, looking at his clothes with evident distaste.

"We are going to be in the car almost all day. I want to be comfortable."

"You look homeless."

"You look like you're dressed for a casual business party."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"What it means is that you're dressed like your trying to impress someone." And he was, he was wearing an electric blue silk shirt and black dress slacks. Not to mention his leather Gucci shoes. Hell he looked like page nine on the fall issue.

"Can I wear jammies like Papa?" Joshie asked.

"I'm not wearing jammies," Justin said, a little perturbed.

Brian and Briana laughed at him. He knew he was right in naming her. She was Brian Jr. after all.

"Okay, let's all get in the car, we have a long drive ahead of us," Brian said.

"Here's your coffee. Just let me wash the breakfast dishes really quick."

Brian grabbed his travel mug. "Just put them in the dishwasher, it's what it's for."

Fifteen minutes into their drive the bitching started up. Not surprisingly it was from Brian.

"This is why I wanted to leave early. Look at all this traffic."

"Do you mean that one car all the way up there," Justin said, smiling at the grumpy man.

Brian didn't really want to go on the trip, because he was still dealing with the mole. But he didn't want the family to go without him. So he left Ted and Cynthia in charge, with instructions to call him immediately if there was a problem. He had locked down Martin Lumber and for that Justin was glad. It was disconcerting that they hadn't heard from Brandon since Justin slept with him. It seemed that Nichols being killed was his last hold over him so he didn't get in touch with him again.

Thankfully, they were in the clear with Nichols death. It was still unsolved but their alibies were airtight. Justin just wished that he hadn't spoken to the man at all. They still didn't know what he talked to Nichols about when he was sick.

"I'm hungry," Joshie said, not thirty minutes on the road.

"You just ate before we left," Brian growled.

"I have snacks in my bag," he said grabbing the bag at his feet. It wasn't his first trip with kids.

"They just ate," Brian said again.

"But I'm so hungry," Joshie said, he was rubbing his belly to emphasize his point.

Brian rolled his eyes as Justin handed two baggies of goldfish crackers back to the kids.

"I'm not hungry," Briana whined.

"Well, just hold it until you are," Brian said, grip tightening on the wheel.

This was going to be a long freaking drive. Soon both kids quietened down, playing with their PSP's (PlayStation Portable.) Brian had rented a darling little house in Bar Harbor, Maine. Just looking at the pictures of the town and area, Justin fell in love. If most of his family and friends didn't live in Pittsburgh, he might try to talk Brian in to moving there. But Brian would have to move Kinnetik, he probably wouldn't like that.

"When is Gus and Jenny coming?" Briana asked out of the blue.

"They are coming next Saturday, and they'll spend a whole week with us," Justin answered.

Lindsay and Mel were flying into Bangor where Brian and Justin would pick the kids up. Then from there, Lindsay and Mel were flying to Hawaii for their long awaited honeymoon. Justin was nervous for them to be flying but knew it was stupid; just because his plane went down didn't mean theirs would.

It was around noon when Brian pulled off an exit to get lunch. Both kids had fallen back asleep and napped for about an hour. But after they woke up they had complained every few miles. They also seemed to have to pee every thirty minutes. Brian called a stop to peeing. That seemed to make Justin need to go, but he knew better than to poke an irritable Brian.

Once they were all seated in the small restaurant a new type of complaining started. Not brand new, just new for that day.

"I don't like it," Joshie said, poking his spaghetti with his fork.

"That is what you said you wanted," Brian growled.

"It's doesn't taste like Grandma's."

"Of course it doesn't. This cook makes about as much as a chicken wrangler. Grandma Deb makes food for you because she loves you. This cook couldn't care less about you."

"Brian!" Justin admonished.

"What?" he asked. "It's true."

"Well I don't like him either." Joshie stood up from the table.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm going to kick him in the balls."

"Kick who in the balls?" Brian asked. Justin could see him covering said body part.

"The cook." The boy was looking mighty intimidating; you know for a four-year old holding a stuffed panda bear.

"What if it's a woman?" Brian asked.

"Then I'll kick her in the balls."

Justin was shocked that his little sweet boy was talking that way. He needed to fix that mouth of his. Brian was no help because at the moment he was laughing his ass off.

"Brian, you're not helping," Justin snapped. Looking back at his son Justin lowered his voice. "We don't hit people. It's not nice."

"Daddy hit Uncle C.J.," Briana pointed out.

Justin rolled his eyes. Of course his kids would remember that. A week after he got out of the hospital Brian was still pretty high strung. C.J. came over to the house and told both of them maybe it would be better for him to have the kids for a few months. Their dad kept the kids while he was in the hospital but gave no problem when they came to get them. Justin was still always supervised with kids, his own rule. But they were a family, and C.J. coming in and telling Brian what should happened pissed the hell out of him.

Brian told C.J. that he wouldn't trust him with an artificial plant. Things were said by both parties until finally C.J. went too far. He called Brian a slut and said he hoped they were using protection because he was probably infected with every STI known to man. C.J. with all his military training went down with one punch. Justin still hadn't talked to his brother.

"Daddy's very sorry he hit Uncle C.J." Justin glared at Brian. "Aren't you?"

"Not fucking likely."

"Brian!"

"Fucking fine already. Josh, you can't hit anybody until you're forty."

"Are you forty, Daddy?"

Justin nearly spit his soda out. The look of horror on Brian's face was priceless. It was too funny when the tables were turned on the older man.

"So very old," Justin said, shaking his head.

"I'm not forty, I'm only thirty-seven."

"Oh, that's verrry old," Joshie said with a look of admiration, like it was obvious Brian must be magical to reach such an age.

"Sit down and eat your gross spaghetti," Brian said to Joshie.

Muttering that he would like to kick Brian in the balls, he got back into his seat and ate. Justin wondered where he got the whole kicking someone in the balls. He didn't use that phrase and he hadn't ever heard Brian say it. Finally, curiosity got the best of him.

"Joshie?"

"Yes, Papa?" Joshie was drinking the last of his milk.

"Where did you learn about kicking people in their balls?" Soon he would have to explain that women didn't have balls…well most women.

"Oh, Grandma."

"Grandma Deb?" he asked just to make sure.

"Yep." He was kicking his feet back and forth.

"When did she say this?"

"She said if Unca C.J. makes Daddy cry again she'll kick him in the balls."

Justin's head shot up and looked at Brian. "When was this?"

"At my 'doption party."

That had been last week, a week after C.J. showed up at the house. The next day after they dropped the kids off at Lindsay's and Justin went to his doctor's appointment, Brian went off on his own. When he came back to pick Justin up he thought he looked like he had been upset. The big, strong, tough as nails man must have gone to Deb. She was his mother for all intent purposes. She was the only one beside Michael and Justin allowed to see Brian that vulnerable.

Knowing Brian like he did he knew it was time to change subjects. But first. "Don't threaten to kick or actually kick anyone's balls."

"Fine," Joshie huffed.

"Okay, we need to get back on the road. First bathroom breaks while Daddy takes care of the bill."

"Why do I always have to pay for things?" Brian asked in mocked annoyance.

"Cause you're the daddy," Briana pointed out.

"Why doesn't the papa have to pay?" Justin asked.

"Cause it's the papa's job to just look pretty."

Justin's eyes widened. He had never heard such bull in his life. He worked just as hard as Brian. Maybe his job wasn't out in the world like Brian's but he worked. And it wasn't just to sit around looking pretty. "Where did you hear that?" he asked. It must have been C.J. or Michael. While he loved Michael because he was his brother, the man could get on the nerves of a saint.

"From Daddy," both of them chirped.

Justin narrowed his eyes at his husband. The man in question didn't look one bit guilty.

"What? This was weeks ago. They asked me if you were going to work outside the house like I do. I told them no, your job is to look pretty for me. I was joking. It's not my fault your kids take everything as serious as you."

Huffing he stood up and grabbed Joshie's hand. "Come on kids, bathroom time." He didn't even give Brian a glance on the way past.

It wasn't that he was really mad but he had to keep the man on his toes.

They stopped a couple more times for the restroom. Then once more for dinner. Finally, they were in Bar Harbor. They picked up the keys from the woman renting the house out.

Both kids were asleep when they pulled up. Justin carried the kids in while Brian brought in the bags. Once everything was in and the kids were sleeping in the double bed upstairs they went to sleep themselves. There wasn't even any energy for any fun, but they would make up for it on their vacation.


It was the end of their first week there. Tomorrow they would go and pick up the kids from the airport. Tonight Justin had a surprise for Joshie. He hoped he liked it because it wasn't just one for him but Justin as well.

The plan was to not even tell Brian until it was time. That was only because he knew Brian would freak out if he told him about some of their guests on their way.

They were all going to meet at Ceely's on the Wharf. It was a nice looking restaurant with a nice looking party room. They needed room to walk around, sit eat and just have a good time.

Justin got there early, Brian was bringing the kids at six. He didn't tell Brian it was so he could meet everyone, and get the surprise ready.

"Justin," a quiet, strong voice said.

It wasn't until he saw Gishi that he remembered how much he missed the man. Rushing over he hugged the man tightly.

"I'm so glad you could come, Joshie is going to go nuts when he sees everyone."

It had taken months but he was finally able to get several of the survivors to come at the same time. Joshie would talk about them, and how he missed them. So Justin got the idea to bring them all together again. Some wanted to forget the whole thing, or their lawyers were against it but mostly he got positive feedback. One person was coming and he wasn't one of the survivors. Justin hoped Brian didn't hit the roof when he saw him.

"I'm so glad you could make it. Truthfully, I'm surprised you didn't go back to Ireland."

Pulling himself away he looked up at his friend. They talked bi-weekly, he knew why the man stayed. It made him so happy for both men.

"As if I could leave after finding the love of my life."

"I'm glad to hear that," a familiar southern accent said.

"Vas!"

The man rushed to Justin and lifted him up in his big, strong arms. It had been a month after he got back that he ran into Vas. He was visiting some of his friends that he made in Pittsburgh. Told Justin about cutting the toxic Trevor out of his life. Vas confessed how lonely he was. Justin knew Gishi was still in town, so he invited him out to lunch with him and Vas. Never in his life had he thought that love at first sight was possible. But when he saw Gishi and Vas look at each other for the first time, he knew it was real.

"You two are the first to arrive. So how is life?"

Vas wrapped his arms around Gishi's shoulders from behind. They were the same height so it didn't look awkward, but it was hot. He was so happy for both of them, and he was glad to claim his part in them being together.

"We wanted you to be the first to know. We're getting married, and moving."

"Oh, that's great. Where are you moving?"

"I got a job in D.C., it's a pretty good job."

Gishi huffed. "Don't let him downplay it. He has been accepted to the ATF."

"Oh my god, that is amazing." Justin hugged both of them.

"What about you?" he asked looking at Gishi.

"I'm working on my citizenship at the moment. It looks really good. You get a lot of sympathy for being in a plane crash."

Justin laughed.

"I thought this was a party."

"Leda!" Justin yelled before turning to see the woman. "Oh my god."

"What you look like you haven't ever seen a pregnant woman before."

Leda looked to be about six months pregnant. She talked to him regularly but never mentioned having a baby. In fact, she would talk about not being ready for kids.

"Get that look off your face, it isn't mine."

"Whose is it?"

"My sister and her husband. Beth couldn't have her own, she's been wanting this for years. I'm not getting any younger. I wanted to help while I still could. The crash helped me put my priorities in order."

"I can't believe it." Justin hugged her. "Maybe after this you'll want one?"

"I wouldn't go that far. But maybe if I meet someone who wanted kids I wouldn't be against it."

"I wonder is Ricki is still single," he said suggestively.

She rolled her eyes as they all laughed. More people showed up. Ron and the new woman he was dating. Travis and his partner, Greg. Next were Lucy with her son Logan, who had a growth spurt since he'd last seen him. Then Racine and Kimble showed up, looking tall and beautiful as ever. The last two to arrive were Isaiah and Ricki. It got a little awkward after that because Ricki was wearing a wedding ring. She wouldn't tell them about her partner though.

At six on the dot Brian came in with the kids. Justin waited for Joshie's reaction. It wasn't long in coming.

"Izzy!" the boy yelled before throwing himself at Isaiah.

He then slowly worked his way through the room. Justin tried not to pay attention to Brian in the corner talking to Vas and Gishi. The man didn't look very happy. Briana was chatting with Opa and his new lady friend.

"I need to talk to you," Ricki said quietly, standing beside him.

"What?"

"I made a mistake four months ago."

"What mistake?"

"I slept with someone who didn't want me. And I didn't want them. It was just a mistake all around. But I got pregnant."

Justin looked down and he could see a very small baby bump.

"Hold up, you slept with a man?" That was unexpected.

"Yes, I'm bi. Anyway, I married him because he said the child couldn't be born a bastard. That was two months ago. Before the ink was dry on the marriage license he was in the wind. I have ten more months to go before I can get a divorce for abandonment. I can't find him to send divorce papers to him."

"Wow. That's really bad but what do you need me for?"

"Talk to Leda for me. Tell her I'm sorry. I just freaked out after the rescue and ran away like a dog with my tail between my legs. I know it's too late, she's found a woman she wanted to start a family with."

"No, she's a surrogate for his sister and brother-in-law."

"Oh."

"I can't talk to her for you but I'll be here for you if she doesn't accept your apology."

"Lot of help you are," she grumbled before standing up straight. "I can do this."

"You can. You've been through war and a plane crash. You are one of the strongest women I know."

"You can't sweet talk me that much." She gave him a small smile before walking over to Leda like she was walking to her execution.

By the time the last of the people left he felt it was a success. He didn't say anything when Leda and Ricki left together. Brian actually shook Vas' hand when he and Gishi left. Ron and Lily were staying at a bed and breakfast and would visit with all the kids for the weekend.

"You mad?" he asked Brian when they got back to the small house.

"No, it was a great thing you did for Josh. Of course you're going to be punished for inviting your ex without telling me." The look in Brian's eye told him he would very much enjoy the punishment.

"Bring it on."