- Text Size +

 

 

This is the second to last chapter. The next one that i'll be posting in a minute is very short. I have loved writing this story. I hope you all like this and don't hate me for doing what I've done.

On their last day in Bar Harbor, Brian had a surprise for Justin. So when Justin showered after putting the kids to bed, he got everything ready. Just because he usually wasn't romantic didn't mean he couldn't be. Maybe he wasn't the champagne and roses kind of romantic but this was better.

"Oh. My. God."

Brian smiled at his husband's lust-filled voice. He was laying on the rug without a stitch of clothes on. There were lit candles surrounding him. He knew what it looked like. The whole thing was hot as fuck.

"Brian, the kids could wake up."

"They won't."

"How do you know?"

"Well even if they do, they wouldn't come down here."

"How do you know?"

"I told them if they stayed in their room all night tomorrow they can eat ice cream for breakfast."

"Brian."

"So, do you like what you see, Sunshine?"

The fight left Justin's eyes as he started to devour Brian with just a look.

"I have a question for you before the night festivities start."

Justin just looked at him with a comical look. Finally, he said, "You want to talk while your naked and surrounded by candlelight?"

"Yep." He shifted onto his knees and grabbed Justin's hands.

"What's going on?"

"Justin Taylor Kinney, will you marry me… again? Now before you answer, just remember we've seen each other at our very worst and our best. I think it would be fitting for us to be stuck with each other."

Instead of answering with a yes or no, Justin just nodded his head. Brian knew it was so he wouldn't blubber like a giant baby.


Once they were back home life got in the way of planning the renewal. But Justin would see something he liked and would make a note of it. It was three days after they got home that he got a call he wasn't expecting.

"Hello," he answered the phone without looking at who was calling.

"Yes, I would like to speak to Justin Kinney," a prim female voice said.

"Yes, this is him." He started to go through the mail Brian had put on the table.

"I'm Dr. Rivera. I don't know if you know but I'm Daphne Chanders' doctor."

"Yes, sorry." He talked to Daphne every couple of months and they wrote letters to each other.

"Ms. Chanders has made tremendous progress in the last five years. Because of her work, therapy and medication she'll be released at the end of the year. To prepare her for the outside world we are hoping to have family and friends come in and acclimate her to them again. I was also hoping that you would bring her daughter in."

Justin knew Daphne felt major guilt about what happened. She hadn't been well and he had forgiven her. But there was a difference between forgiveness and trusting her with his daughter. Briana knew that her mother is in the hospital. She also knew her mother was sick. But she didn't know that she tried to have her killed. She's just a little girl for crying out loud. There was another problem with taking her. Brian would never allow it. He didn't like the few times Justin had gone, there was no way we would let her go.

"Listen, Doctor. I will do whatever I can to help Daphne. I'll come to as many appointments you want me to but I can't put my daughter through this."

"It would be good for your daughter too. She must have questions about her mother."

"She knows what she needs to know."

"Please, just think about it. Daphne would love to see her daughter in person. She shouldn't be punished for being sick. She was found innocent."

"Because of temporary insanity. That's not the same thing as innocent." He blew out a breath. "I'll talk to my husband about it. But if he says no, the answer is no."

"I really don't see why your," she paused. "Your husband would have any say in it."

"Because legally he has that right. He has more rights to Briana than Daphne does. He adopted her years ago. And you saying 'husband' like it's a dirty word is no way to talk me into it." He hung up on the woman.


Brian knew something was up when he got home. Justin was slamming kitchen drawers shut, quietly cursing and both kids were parked in front of the television. That was only done on rare occasions.

"What's for dinner?" he asked. It was an innocent question, no way that could get him in trouble.

"Why don't you cook dinner for once? Why does it always have to be me?"

"I cook dinner," he defended himself. Every Friday he made dinner for the kids and Justin, just so Justin could work into the night on his art.

"Oh, I forgot, salad and two bites of salmon," Justin said snidely.

Now Brian was getting a little pissed. Cooking wasn't something he did because he liked it. He only did it for Justin, now it was being thrown in his face.

"Are you fighting?" Briana asked from the doorway.

"No, I'm just having a bad day and Daddy is letting me vent to him. You go finish your show. I'll call you when dinner is ready." Briana nodded and was off.

Walking up to Justin he circled him in his arms. "Want to tell me what that was all about?"

"Daphne's doctor called. She wants me to bring Briana in to meet Daphne."

"No fucking way," he snapped, letting go of Justin. "That's not going to happen."

"But Brian, I've been thinking about it. I think she should."

"She tried-," he said then stopped. Briana was only in the other room. Justin didn't need to be reminded what that woman tried to have done.

"I think we need to close this chapter of our lives. It's just been left open. I need closure, she needs closure. And most importantly Briana needs to meet her mother, at least once. It will be only once though. I will make sure both Daphne and Briana know that. When she's a teenager she can make her own decisions to talk to her if she wants. But for now it's only this once."

Knowing this was something Justin wouldn't budge on he had to concede. "I don't like this."

"I know."

"I'm going with you two, I hope you know that."

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

"It's the only way this is happening."

"Are you saying I can't take Briana do see her mother?"

"I'm saying that if the situation was reversed would you be all for me taking Gus to see Lindsay?"

Justin's head dropped but Brian could see the slight blush. He had busted his husband on this point. It didn't matter who her biological parent was, she was their daughter.

"Is she coming home with us?" Briana asked from the backseat.

"No, she's going to stay in the hospital for a bit longer," Justin told her.

"She's still sick?"

They had gone over all this already but it seemed she still didn't understand. Justin wished that Brian would have stayed at home. As it was they left a confused Joshie at Mel and Lindsay's. He didn't understand why he couldn't go on this trip.

"Not as sick as she used to be but she's still getting better." That was a good answer, right?

"I wonder if she looks like me," she said with a sigh.

"You look more like your papa," Brian said.

"Oh, yeah," she said with a giggle.


This was the moment she had been waiting years for. To see her daughter, see her in person. She understood why Justin hadn't brought her before. Just the thought of all the things she had done when she was sick made her want to vomit. This was a one-time only thing, she knew that. After she got out of the hospital she was starting her life fresh, this time healthy. Being a doctor was not an option any more but she had a cousin in California. The plus with moving out there she was moving in with her cousin, she'd have someone to help her out if things got too much.

The door to her room opened and in walked her doctor followed by Brian, Justin and Briana. Her breath caught at the sight of her little girl in person. She was absolutely stunning. Her dark blonde curls were brushed back and hung down freely to her mid-back. She was also wearing a dark purple dress with white leggings. Black little Mary Jane's on her feet. She really did look so much like Justin, she was so beautiful.

As soon as the little girl saw her she hid behind Brian. Daphne tried not to let it hurt her, Briana didn't know her after all.

"Hello, Briana," Daphne said softly. The little girl hid further behind Brian.

"She's just really shy around…sorry," Justin said quietly.

"It's okay, I get it. Maybe if we just talk she'll get used to me."

Justin smiled at her and they sat on the bed together. She watched as Brian took a seat in the chair by the door, Briana climbing in his lap and burying her face in his chest.

They talked about life, he told her about them going to renew their vows. She told him about California and the kind of job she was looking for. The need to help others like her was important. Maybe she could become some kind of advocate. She had her whole life in front of her after all.

Picking up the scarf she had been knitting she held it up to Justin.

"You're making something? How domesticated of you?" he joked.

"I know can you believe it? My mother can't stand the idea of something so…dull as she put it. But I don't find it dull, after years of staring at the walls when I was allowed this bit of freedom, I jumped at it."

Justin laughed lightly. She didn't mind, it was something she wouldn't have done before. The new Daphne was much more a simple girl.

"That's pretty," a quiet voice said from beside her.

Daphne looked over, just beside her knee stood Briana. She was running a small finger over the unfinished scarf.

"You like it?"

"Yes. I like green. It's my second favorite color."

"It is? I love green too. My favorite though is red. What's yours?"

"Magenta."

"Wow, I guess you take after your father and like art."

"I like art but I'm not very good at it. I'm more like Daddy. We both like clothes and both really smart. I get that from him. I get my hair from Papa. What do I get from you?"

The question surprised her. It wasn't something she expected. Justin said that he told Briana who she was but he wasn't sure what she understood.

"I don't really know; you look like a girl version of your papa. So I just don't know what you get from me."

"Your hair," Justin said. "It might be blonde but the curls are all you." Daphne smiled at him.

"And her loyalty. Justin always says she has your determination too."

"Oh, well, the teenage years will be fun for you," she said with a chuckle.

All of the sudden it felt like a dark cloud fell over them. She had crossed a line that she forgot was there. Talking about the future with Briana. Not that it was what she meant.

"Brian can you take Briana out into the hallway for a minute."

Brian picked Briana up and carried her out, shutting the door behind them.

"You don't even have to say. I know this is a one-time shot. I know." She looked at him trying her best not to cry.

"I'm sorry but I have to think of what's best for Briana."

"And that's not me," she agreed.

"I'm not saying ever. Just not until she's old enough to understand."

"How can she understand, I don't."

"She knows you were sick. But she doesn't know what happened. I don't want to lie to her but she is way too young to know what happened."

"How old is old enough?"

"I was thinking fourteen, maybe earlier if she asks. I won't keep you a secret but no more visits. You can send birthday and Christmas cards. I'll make sure you get pictures but no writing personal letters or phone calls until she's older."

Tears started to roll down her face. She had been hoping to at least be able to talk to her on the phone when she got out.

"Please, don't cry," Justin begged.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to just blubber on like this."

"I'm being unreasonable aren't I?"

"No."

"If I were sick, would you let me see her?"

"Not if you told your lover to kill her. I understand why. Never think I don't understand."

He grabbed her hands and put them to his lips. The kiss was gentle and made her remember when they used to practice kissing on their hands.

"I'll allow letters but I'll read them first. She can write you back, if you'll allow them."

She jumped up off the bed and threw her arms around him. Never in her wildest dreams would she expect such kindness. She was a murderer after all. The death of a man was on her head. Not only that but her daughter's life would have ended barely after it started. Then there was setting up Justin for all the horrible things that had happened to him, and working with Craig. How could he let her have this wonderful link to their daughter?

"Really?" she asked, not daring to believe her ears.

"Really."


"Cynthia, where is the contract for the McMillian account?" Brian snapped into his intercom.

"I believe Ted took it home with him to look over. He was worried about the wording on the last page."

"Well, is Theodore here yet?"

"No, actually he's late."

Just then his private line rang, only a few people had the number.

"What?" he snapped into the phone.

"Brian?"

The voice was strained but Brian recognized it. "Blake? If you're calling me to tell me Ted is too sick to come into work tell him to get off his ass anyway. We have work to do."

"Ted's dead," Blake sobbed.

The rest of the day was just as hectic as ever, but now it was all done with a somber tone to it. When Blake had called him at first he thought it was a joke, that was until he realized Ted and Blake didn't have a sense of humor.

It then really hit him, Ted was gone. This wasn't like before when he was in the coma. He was gone, really gone, never to come back. Sometime during the night Ted's house burned down. The house was fully aflame when the firefighters got there. They didn't find the body until the next day. They said it would take a couple weeks to get the ID. They didn't need it though; Ted was in the house alone. Blake and he had split up again and he wasn't seeing anyone else.

Debbie, Lindsay and Justin went over to Ted's mother's to help her out. That left Brian, Mel and Carl to sort through what had really happened. Michael and Ben took the kids so they wouldn't have to worry about them.

Later that day they found out there was another body in the house. When the cops asked if they knew who it could be they were just as clueless as the next guy. Blake seemed to take it the hardest that Ted was with someone new.

"Brian." Looking up he saw Carl standing in the doorway of his office at work.

"What are you doing here Carl?" It was out of the ordinary for Justin's father to visit him at work.

"We have an I.D. on the other person in Ted's house." It had been a month since they lost Ted.

"Who?"

"Brandon Collier, age twenty-eight. It looks like they had been cavorting for a while. We found Collier's car down the street. It had some papers from Kinnetik in it."

Just like that Brian knew who the mole was. Ted. One of his most trusted friends and employee's was the one who was working against him. The betrayal ate at his gut. Why would he do that? Was he trying to score with the younger man? Did he blackmail him like he did Justin? Fuck, he wished Ted was alive so he could ask, and so he could kill him himself.


Weeks past and everything seemed to slowly get back to normal. Brian made sure that Ted's mother was taken care of even if Ted had backstabbed him. Life went on but really he didn't feel much of anything. Sure he joked with Ted about the man being pathetic but never in his life would he think he would just be gone like that. That one day he would wake up and find out that one of his friends would just not be there. And that was what Ted was - his friend, he didn't even care if Ted was giving information to Brandon. Knowing Ted, Brandon either tricked him or blackmailed him. Brian was a little pissed Ted didn't come to him but it wasn't something where he wished Ted was dead.

It reminded him of when Ted met Blake. He thought he had gotten so lucky that Blake even looked at him. Then the man had left Ted on the floor of his apartment convulsing. The group had forgiving Blake because of his addition and recovery. But a little part of them still couldn't get over it all the way. Sure Ted went through his own struggle. He did horrible things: stealing and hurting Emmett. Maybe it was bias on their end but it was what it was.

"We don't have to go through with the ceremony. We're already married, this doesn't matter. I don't feel like celebrating anyway."

"Are you sure?" Brian didn't want to admit it but neither did he.

"Yeah, it doesn't feel right with Ted being gone."

Justin was setting the table for the kid's dinner. Brian was finishing getting everything ready for a business trip. He was leaving in a few minutes to fly to Chicago. The kids were being little cusses because they didn't want him to go. At least now Justin didn't have to plan a renewal party without Brian, not like he would help anyway.

"Daddy, can I come with you please?" Joshie asked.

"Sorry buddy, I'm going to be working all week." Brian didn't say that he had more work to do now that Ted was gone.

When they told the kids that Uncle Ted was dead they all had different reactions. Joshie, who had been through so much death in his life took it the hardest. Briana almost showed no reaction at all, Brian's influence. Then there were J.R. and Gus. J.R. cried off and on for about a week but Justin was sure that was because Michael took the death so hard. Gus had been sad that he wouldn't see Ted again but didn't seem to be broken up that much about it. It was understandable, Joshie and Briana spent more time with Ted than Gus and J.R.

"I'll be really good, I promise," Joshie said.

"I can't." Brain looked at Justin pleadingly.

"You can't go Joshie, remember? Peter and Steven are taking you to SplashDayz." Brian's teenage nephew and his boyfriend were taking all four kids to a waterpark the next day. Two other friends were going with them, two girls their age who were dating.

"It's going to be so fun," Briana squealed. Brian rolled his eyes.

"I've got to go."

Both kids gave him a kiss, Justin followed him outside to give him a more private kiss. If they kissed in front of the kids Briana would make a retching sound.

"Papa, can we watch a movie."

"Yeah, go for it."