- Text Size +

I hope you've enjoyed this story. Thank you for reading.

A year after Ted's death everything had settled down. Brian had a new accountant for Kinnetik, but that's all he was. They didn't hangout and he wasn't a part owner. For the longest time he kept Cynthia in the dark about Ted being the mole. He'd finally told her a few months back.

The kids were doing great, Josh had just graduated kindergarten. Justin had to fight the school board because Josh was fifteen days' shy of their age cut off. Thankfully, they tested him and he was allowed in. His teacher told them that Josh should probably skip a grade but Josh wanted to stay where he was.

Justin seemed to make a full recovery. He hadn't had another incident since the hospital. Not only that but their sex life was finally getting a little more adventurous again. Even without the multiple partners. But there was sometimes that something seemed to lurk behind Justin's eyes, then in a flash it was gone.

Then there was Daphne. She did in fact move to California. In her last email to Justin and Briana she said she met a man. Justin hoped it was true love. Even after everything Justin wanted her happy. Brian pointed out she didn't need a man to be happy. Justin just said that she had been alone for too long, she needed this. Brian wondered how the man would take learning that she killed her last boyfriend.

Justin had left earlier with Emmett to put flowers on Ted and Brandon's graves. They were at different cemeteries so they had a bit of driving to do. It was a little surprising him how much he missed the dull accountant.


"Hey, Jake, look what I found," Benny said, holding up a tabby kitten.

"No cats," Jake said, looking at the disgusting little thing.

Benny just rolled his eyes, he would be keeping the cat. He sat the little guy down. The kitten ran off under the coffee table, he would let him be while he explored.

"You're not even going to listen to me are you?" Jake asked.

"Why would I? It's not like we're a couple or anything," he snapped.

They had been sleeping together for over six months but Jake still refused to admit there was anything going on between them. At first he didn't think much of it because he knew what he looked like. He wasn't tall, blonde and gorgeous like Jake. No, he was average. Completely average. The first time they had sex he thought it was just a fluke. They had been stuck in their house for a full month after they had been reassigned.

"Do you miss home?" Jake asked, changing subjects.

"I miss my mom and my friends. My job. My nieces and nephews."

"I thought you were an only child?" This was something they never talked about. Their life before they were Jake and Benny.

"I mean my friends' kids. Brian and Justin's kids. Also Lindsay and Mel's kids."

"Brian Kinney. God, I fucking hate that guy. If it wasn't for him I would be home, fucking my latest trick. Not to mention working on my next account. But no, I'm in fucking Montana with his dopey, loser friend."

Those words stung even though he suspected Jake felt that way about him. He was just a convenient fuck.

"No, you're here because you tried to blackmail a hitman. Now we're both stuck here until they catch him and we can testify. I'm here because I was unlucky enough to have been confronting you about using that poor intern to get inside information. I'm sure everyone thinks I'm the one who did it. I hate you so fucking much right now."

"You are so fucking hot when you're pissed off."

And just like that they were rutting against each other on the ugly patchwork couch. Most of the times he missed being Ted Schmidt but right now having Brandon AKA Jake kissing down his jaw, it wasn't too bad.

The End.
SLHR is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Falling Out of the Sky also liked 683 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Detective's Son series. The previous story in the series is The Detective's Son.