- Text Size +

 

 

I hope everyone enjoys this new chapter. Remember because this is a AU Justin hadn't seen Lindsay's parents or met ANYONE else. I know it's all pretty far-fetched but I hope it goes together well. R&R

 

The first thing Justin heard when he came to was a child crying in the distance. In his hazy brain it sounded like Briana. He opened his eyes and looked around for his daughter. It took a few minutes for him to realize where he was. He knew then it wasn't Briana crying.

 

He was still in the fuselage, at first he thought he was alone in there but then he saw he had been wrong. Most of the seats were in different places than they started in. There were bodies around him, the man that bitched at him earlier for being too slow was one of them. His neck was in a horrible unnatural position.

 

That was the moment he remembered Barbara and Joshua.

 

"Barbara," he called, his voice raspy.

 

He smelled smoke and knew he needed to get out but he wasn't going to leave them if they were in the plane still.

 

"Joshua."

 

There was no answer from any one of the bodies inside the plane. His eyes adjusted to the darkness inside the fuselage but still didn't see Joshua or Barbara. The back of the plane was open, it looked like someone took a can opener to it.

 

Once he was outside, he was blown away with the level of panic that was around him. People were walking around stunned, some were over bodies on the ground sobbing. His eyes burned in the sudden sunlight. He also noticed something wet running down his face. Wiping it away he saw that it was blood.

 

As soon as he sure of what he was doing, he started looking for Barbara and Joshua. He heard the child's cry again and looked for the source. It was then he saw Joshua, he was curled up to a body lying on the ground. He stomached dropped; it was Barbara, and she didn't look good.

 

He rushed over to them as quickly as he could. His leg ached as he did.

 

"Joshua," he called to the little boy.

 

Josh looked up at him and then back down to his grandmother. Justin saw her face then; she was still alive but only just. Kneeling down on the other side of Barbara he grabbed her hand.

 

"Barbara," he whispered her name.

 

Her foggy eyes landed on him. "Justin, you're alive." Tears started to fill her eyes.

 

"Yes, ma'am. Can I do anything for you?"

 

"Joshua."

 

"What about Joshua?"

 

"I'm not going to be here when help comes."

 

"Yes, you will," he lied.

 

"We both know that I can't overcome this." He knew she was referring to the piece of metal sticking out of her abdominal. "I need you to take care of Joshua. That means when you get rescued also. He needs a family; I don't want him in the system."

 

"Barbara, you don't know me," he pointed out.

 

"Like I said earlier, I believe in signs. There is a reason both you and he are alive. There is a reason we were seated together. I believe that is the same reason I was able to tell you about my past. I think it was meant to be. You are meant to be Joshua's father. "

 

"What!" he shouted. He looked over at Joshua who had fallen asleep against his grandmother's uninjured side.

 

"He needs a father not just someone to watch him. You said you have a daughter and stepson. He will have a brother and sister."

 

Justin stared at her in shock, not knowing what to say. He knew he would do it because he couldn't deny a grandmother's dying wish, and Joshua did need someone.

 

"I will protect him with my life." It was the only thing he could think to say.

 

"Good, that's really good. I need you to treat him like he is your natural child. If you can't-

 

"I can, I promise. I will love him like he is my own."

 

Barbara nodded and her eyes fluttered shut. He watched as she took her last breath. He stood back up and walked around her until he was by Joshua. Gently, he picked up the small boy. Joshua whimpered but soon settled into his arms. Looks like he left to find himself and found another child instead. He would make sure that Joshua never forgot his grandmother. When they are rescued, he hoped he wouldn't have any problems with the government on Joshua. All he had was his word that Barbara wanted him to raise Joshua.

 

"EVERYONE, PLEASE CALM DOWN!" a man yelled. He was in the outfit Justin recognized as a flight attendant's uniform. It was then he noticed the nose of the plane was trashed. The pilots most likely didn't make it. "Thank you," he said when it quieted down. "I need to know if we have a doctor or medical personal here.

 

"I'm a cardiologist," an older man said stepping up. He had been wearing a suit that was mostly in shreds now.

 

"I'm a EMT," a small woman with long black hair spoke up.

 

"Anyone else?" the flight attendant asked.

 

"We're nurses," a tall, blonde man said, pointing between him and an equally tall and blonde woman. He didn't know if they were twins, married or some weird mix.

 

"Good, I need you to go around and see who's in most need of help. My name is Francisco Fadega, I'm the only one of cabin crew to make it through the crash. I expect help to come soon, the only way that we won't is if the pilots went off course."

 

"What are the chances of that?" an older woman asked, she was standing with the cardiologist.

 

"Truthfully, there was a lot of turbulence, I can't be sure we didn't go off the course to try and get around it, but if we did it shouldn't be by much." Justin could see the man was more hoping he was right than speaking the truth.

 

The medical people took off in different directions. Justin was surprised that Francisco was able to take control so easily. While everyone else was freaking out, including him, Francisco was cool, calm and collected.

 

"Okay, next I need someone to do a head count. I need a number of people alive total, and people seriously injured. And for someone with a stronger stomach, I need someone to count the dead. I need to know if we are missing anyone. Including cabin crew, we had one-hundred and six people. Who will count the living and injured?"

 

"I'll do it," the woman that had been with the doctor said. Justin guessed she was the man's wife.

 

"Your name?" Francisco asked.

 

"Nancy Peterson," she said slowly. The name sounded familiar to Justin but he couldn't place it.

 

"Thank you, Nancy. Now, who can count the dead?"

 

This time it took longer for a volunteer to speak up, he didn't want to do it but he would have volunteered if he didn't have Joshua.

 

"I'll do it." This was from a young woman. She had her red hair pulled up in a ponytail and a sever look about her.

 

"Are you sure you can do this?"

 

Justin knew right away dear Francisco had made a mistake. The woman looked to only be a few years old than him but Justin could see that she was years older than her physical age.

 

The woman reached under the collar of her shirt and pulled something out. Justin squinted to see what it was. When he did he knew why she was as calm as Francisco. She had pulled out dog tags. She then leaned down and pulled up her pants leg revealing a prosthetic leg.

 

"This is my job," she said shortly.

 

Francisco nodded and the woman started to walk away.

 

"What's your name?" Francisco asked her.

 

"Ricki." She then turned and went about her duty. Justin was in awe of her strength and confidence.

 

"Okay, I'm going to need one more strong stomach, I'm going to be assisting this one. We need to move all the bodies away from camp. We don't know how long we're going to be here and the bodies will start to decay.

 

"I'll do it." This was another woman. She didn't look as hard and sever as the other woman. She was wearing a plain white shirt and jeans. The shirt was stained red from blood; he didn't know if it was hers or someone else's. She had long light brown hair.

 

"Okay, let's go…"

 

"Leda," she said before following him into the fuselage.

 

Justin looked around at everyone else. It looked like the only ones not panicking and flipping out were going about with their tasks now. He felt guilty but he had promised to take care of Joshua, and that's want he was going to do.

 

It was almost sundown when they had finished with their tasks. After Joshua woke up, they had been tasked with getting firewood. First they had been tasked with getting the food and water out of the fuselage, but Joshua freaked out when he was asked to go back in. There was no way Justin was going to leave him alone outside even with the others, he didn't know any of them.

 

He had explained to Joshua the best he could about his grandmother. He told him that she went to heaven. When Joshua asked if she was with his mommy, he knew that had been the route Barbara had gone. He told him that yes, she had gone to heaven to be with his mommy. Since he had never seen his mommy Joshua assumed they couldn't come back from heaven. That had helped because Justin didn't think he could stand Joshua asking when she was coming back.

 

He didn't know how long it would take before they were found but Francisco said it could be a couple of days. They would be looking at the last place they got a reading but that didn't mean that it was where they were. The electoral system of the plane was a wash, but they did have a man named Tony seeing if he could get the emergency radio working.

 

It was colder than he thought it would be on a beach so he had bundled Joshua in clothes people had donated to him.

 

"I go to your house?" Joshua asked as Justin held him while they set around the fire.

 

"Yep, you have a new big sister who lives with us and a big brother who lives somewhere else." He didn't care if he was jumping the gun, the child needed stability right now, not a maybe or an if.

 

Justin wanted to make sure Joshua didn't get dehydrated so he only sipped a little from his bottle. He wanted Joshua to have most of it. They had raided luggage and found quite a bit of food. Justin had found his own carryon that had some cookies in it, Joshua was very excited.

 

Justin and Leda had first watch, it had been Ricki's idea. She said it was harder for two to nod off than one. Leda had the first flare beside her ready for action.

 

"Where were you going?" he whispered to Leda, not wanting to wake Joshua.

 

"I had an ex who wanted me to come to her in Amsterdam. She paid for the ticket and everything, so I said what the hell. Biggest mistake of my life, she wasn't even that great of a lay, I only went because I thought I could get some good pictures."

 

Justin snorted. "That sucks."

 

"Tell me about it. I was only with her in the first place because she looked a lot like the one that got away."

 

"Are you from New York?" he asked. He was started to feel tired, he needed to keep talking so he could stay awake.

 

"Nah, from Michigan originally, then went to University of Pennsylvania for five weeks. It's were I met Melanie, the one that got away."

 

Justin almost mentioned that he knew a Melanie but he didn't want her to laugh at him. There had to be tons of women named Melanie, maybe hers was only experimenting in college. Justin didn't even know what school Mel went to. It would be too much of a coincidence to be stranded on the same damn island and know people in common.

 

"So what happened to the one that go away?" He knew he was being nosy but that's how he is. Brian always made fun of him for it. He stomped down the thought of Brian; it hurt too much.

 

"She met the love of her life," Leda said sadly.

 

"Oh."

 

"I still talk to her, they have kids and everything. I visited once a long time ago but I knew I wore out my welcome."

 

Just like that he remembered sitting in Lindsay's house. Brian was away on business and the house was just too empty with him and Briana. Linz offered to have him over for the night. While the kids played upstairs they talked about past loves.

 

They all knew about Vas, so really he didn't have much to say. Lindsay went on a little too much about Brian for his taste. Then, it was Mel's turn. The wild, fun, sexy Leda. This woman was sexy, he wasn't sure if she was fun and wild because of the way they had met but believed it was one and the same.

 

"Leda, Melanie Marcus' Leda," he said, a little too loudly going by Joshua shifting in his sleep.

 

"Mel. You know her?"

 

"Of course I know her; she is my son's other mother."

 

"Justin, you're that Justin. The one who tamed Lindsay's Brian."

 

"I wouldn't say he was Lindsay's Brian. And I really wouldn't say I tamed him. But yeah, I'm that one. This is crazy, you know to meet someone that you already knew about in this kind of situation."

 

"Lindsay and Melanie?" a new voice joined them.

 

Justin looked over and noticed it was the cardiologist.

 

"Umm… Yes, they are my friends," Justin said.

 

"Lindsay Peterson?" Nancy asked from beside her doctor husband, Ron.

 

"Yes. How did you know?" he asked.

 

"She's our daughter," Nancy said.

 

"You're the assholes who treat Lindsay like she's gum on the bottom of your shoes," Leda accused. He guessed Mel vented to her on the phone a lot.

 

"I beg your pardon," Nancy said.

 

"I'm just saying, how many times have you been around your grandchildren? How many family dinners have you had with them?"

 

"What's that supposed to mean?"

 

"Well, you obviously don't know Justin is your grandson's other father."

 

"What does that supposed to mean. We've met the man who is Gus's father, and it's not him," Nancy said pointing at Justin.

 

"No, I'm Brian's husband," Justin said bitterly.

 

"Would all of you just shut up, some of us want to get some sleep," a deep voice yelled at them. Justin hadn't met that man yet but he didn't like him.

 

They had been lucky and unlucky at the same time. Out of the one-hundred and six people there was thirty-eight unaccounted for, those they suspected were close to the back. Justin felt guiltily about being alive just because he was sitting closer the midsection of the plane. They had fourteen dead; ten died on impact, four died during the next several hours. That left them with fifty-four people. Out of the fifty-four, six were badly wounded and three were in trouble if their medicine couldn't be found.

 

Instead of them all staying in the same area they broke up in to four smaller groups. Justin was with the group that included the wounded and people with children. There was only one other woman who had a child with her. The kid was ten and his mother was one of the injured, she only had a broken leg though, Dr. Ron said it was a clean break so that was good. Logan, her son was a quiet kid, he mostly just sat beside her and read a book he found in the debris.

 

The three other groups were further down the beach. It helped to keep the fighting and agreements down. It had only been one day and they were at each other's throats. The only people Justin could stand was Leda and Ricki. Leda reminded him of a female Brian and Ricki was quiet, strong and someone that Justin respected even though he had known her less than a day.

 

Brian had gotten a confirmation from the airline that Justin had been on the flight. Lindsay got it confirmed that her parents had been on the same flight. They had been shopping in New York when they decided last minute to fly to Italy.

 

It had been almost two days since Justin's plane went missing. Brian had taken Clay to the Dandelion House and made sure he was safe. He had been shocked that a place like it existed and he never knew about it. He talked to the house mother when he dropped Clay off. It wasn't just sexual abuse teen survivors they take. They also take kids who had been physically abused at home.

 

There were three levels to the house. Clay was going to be in the top and most restricted level. Since he was a risk to his own safety it was the one with its own medical staff, including a two doctors who volunteered there. The bottom floor was a starting out place for teens. They had shared bedrooms and place to stay while they finished school and got jobs. No one was turned away unless they hurt other kids at the facility, and then they just found another place for them.

 

It was a place that he thought could have helped him get away from Jack once upon a time. This was a place that could have helped Justin too. It was a nice but underfunded place. Brian made it his new personal goal to help them with getting more funding.

 

God, when did he become some "save-the-world" hero? Oh, he remembered now, it was about the same time he asked Justin to marry him.

 

He was running late and knew as soon as he got home Justin was going to queen out on him. He had been working long hours with Ted, Brown Athletics were demanding a revamp of the what they had done with a new line. It was taking most of his time just to keep up on all their changes. His junior execs were working on the easier accounts, but everything still needed to go by him for approval.

 

When he walked through the front door the first thing he noticed was how quiet it was. With an almost two-year-old it was never quiet. And he knew they were supposed to have Gus this weekend. There should have been giggling and playing but there was just a darkened house.

 

"Justin!" he called.

 

There was no answer. He sat his briefcase down by the front door and went in search of his family. The living room was dark, and more surprisingly there was no toys strewn about on the floor. He was always getting on to Justin about not cleaning up after the baby. She was always throwing her toys around and Justin would just leave them where they fell. After almost breaking his neck sliding on a toy Frisbee on the floor, they had a huge fight. Brian had moved having Clarence from cleaning once a week to three times. Justin hadn't been happy with that.

 

It seemed nothing he did made Justin happy, and he was about to give up trying.

 

Brian was started to get worried about not finding Justin or the kids when he noticed the note on the kitchen table.

 

It read, 'Brian, I tried to call you but your phone was off and no one was answering your work line. I guess since it's already five o'clock Friday night, you either decided not to come with us or you forgot. I have taken Gus and Briana to Philadelphia for the weekend, like we had planned to see The Nutcracker. We have a suite at the Royal Blue Inn, if you choose to join us. We won't be back until Sunday night. Love, Justin.'

 

He had forgotten all about the damned trip. Justin had been planning it for weeks. Brian told him how stupid it was to take a two-year-old and four-year-old to see The Nutcracker. Justin had told him that he was just being a spoilsport. He had finally agreed to go with Justin and the kids to Philly. It wasn't until he read the note that he had remembered though.

 

It seemed like all he was doing lately was messing up. He knew he would have to do something big for Justin to forgive him this time. He knew just the thing too. Packing his things, he went to his dresser and pulled out the small hidden box. The rings inside the box he had bought last month after his adoption of Briana was finally finalized. The rings were a spur-of-the-moment purchase but he knew he wanted to marry Justin, now he just had to convince the man to marry him.

 

Brian smiled slightly at the memory of his proposal to Justin. He had surprised Justin by coming to the Inn in Philly. The ballet was on Saturday night, Brian had been right, they had to leave early because the kids weren't interested. He had surprised Justin with champagne and roses. It was terribly sappy and romantic and Justin quickly accepted his proposal.

 

He kept calling Justin's cell phone. He knew it was useless but he just wanted to hear the man's voice, even if it was just his voicemail. Carl had called earlier and asked Brian to come by the house. Brian had forbid anyone telling Briana about Justin's plane. He didn't want to tell her until the plane was found. Even then he didn't want to tell her, it would make it real.

 

The first day after the plane went missing, he was too occupied with helping Clay and Lindsay. Ever since he dropped Clay off he had been watching the news non-stop. Briana, Gus and J.R. were still over at Deb's. He needed to bring his daughter home. Without Justin the house was lonely, but without Briana it was completely devoid of feeling like home. Justin was coming home…. there was no other option. And when he did, Brian was going to have Briana waiting for him.

 

He had mistakenly thought Justin was leaving him and wanted to throw the first punch, metaphorically speaking. It didn't matter what had happened before, the damage was done. But he was going to fix things. Just as soon as Justin comes home.

 

"Daddy!" Briana yelled from the open front door of Debbie's house. He was halfway up the walk when his arms were suddenly filled with his daughter.

 

"Well, hello to you too."

 

He had no excuse for what happened next. For the past two days he hadn't cried, he hadn't even thought of the possibility of Justin being gone for good. But having Briana in his arms brought everything home. Things started to flash in his head. Wonderful times that they spent as a family. A family that he thought he didn't deserve because of his parents.

 

Picking up Briana, he hugged her tightly. "Daddy, why are you crying?" Had he been?

 

"I'm just happy to see you."

 

Once inside Debbie invited him to dinner but he begged off. It wasn't that he didn't want to be around family, it was just that he needed his daughter at home now.

 

"Brian, can I speak to you?" Carl asked from his chair.

 

"Sure." Brian replied. "Where is Gus and J.R.?"

 

"Melanie picked them up a few hours ago. I'll just take Briana upstairs," Debbie said. He watched her and Briana go upstairs.

 

"So what did you want to talk about, Detective?"

 

"I think it would be best for all involved for Briana live here."

 

"I gotta tinkle," Joshua said loudly.

 

Justin smiled at the boy doing his version of the peepee dance.

 

"I'll take him," Leda volunteered.

 

"Thanks, Lee."

 

Justin laughed when Leda threw Joshua over her shoulder and stomped off with the giggling boy. He didn't know what he would have done without Leda. It was like having a piece of home with him, even though he had never met her before. She told the best stories though. He would have never guessed the stuff she and Mel got into when they were younger.

 

She had met Brian when Gus was a baby. It was funny when she said that if she ever did want to switch teams Brian would be her choice to play with. There was no denying Brian could even make lesbians a little hot under the collar. If Justin was being completely honest if he was straight Leda would be the kind of woman, he would want. She was the female Brian, so that made sense.

 

Standing up, he dusted his pants off. He was wearing Olly's sweat pants. He had to roll them up several times to walk. Olly was a native of the Netherlands. He had been visiting his girlfriend in Montana. When Justin couldn't find any of his luggage with his clothes, Olly offered him some of his. He accepted because he didn't want to just grab a bag and wear those clothes. It felt wrong to wear the clothes of the dead. People kept giving him clothes for Joshua, so he didn't have to worry about that.

 

"When you get back to the states you'll have to give him up."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. He usually tried his best to ignore Nancy for the most part. The sad thing was that Lindsay had told him she was getting along with her parents lately. But he couldn't see it, he couldn't say they horrible people because they worked from sun up to sun down on the sick and injured. He just wished they would see past his sexuality.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"That boy's family will take him when we go home," Nancy said smugly.

 

"He doesn't have any family and his grandmother's dying wish was for me to raise him."

 

"That's outrageous. Did she know you were a…"

 

"Yes, she knew I was a fag. I told her about my daughter, son and husband. So thank you very much for your concern but Joshua is my son and I will make sure he stays with me." He was so mad he didn't realize Leda was back with Joshua.

 

"Papa, I peed on a tree. Lee show'd me how."

 

Leda coughed loudly but it sounded like a laugh. "I think it's time for dinner."

 

Joshie jumped up and down and ran around in circles. "Can I help Izzy with dinner?" he asked.

 

"Isaiah?" Justin asked the tall, dark skinned man.

 

"Come on, rat," Isaiah said. Joshie giggled and ran to Isaiah. The tall man leaned down and Joshie wrapped himself around the man's thick forearm. It was funny when he lifted Joshie up like that, and Josh loved it.

 

"We need to move further down the beach or in to the trees," Francisco said suddenly.

 

"Why?" Nancy asked.

 

"The bodies. The smell is starting spread. It's not healthy for us to be this close. We need to move camp, and the injured."

 

"Shouldn't we stay close to the fuselage?" Justin asked.

 

"We won't be that far away from it. If we see a search plane, we can always run back. That and we have the flares. It's only been three days; they'll find us soon."

 

Justin nodded and they made plans to move camp in the morning.