- Text Size +

 

 

The phone ringing woke Lindsay up. She fumbled with it trying to answer it before it woke the kids. They had stayed up late playing board games. Just as her hand closed around the phone she eyed the clock. Three in the morning. Who would be calling that time of the morning?

"Who the fuck is calling this early in the goddamn morning," Mel growled before covering her head with her pillow.

Finally, she hit the connect button on the phone. "Hello?" Even at three she had to be the perfect little WASP; Brian always made fun of her for it.

"Princess," a voice she thought she would never hear again said. She shot up, her back straight as an arrow.

"Daddy?" she said quietly, she knew it was him but she didn't trust her own ears.

The bed moved and she saw Mel sitting up, looking at her intently.

"Oh how I've missed your voice, princess." A sob escaped him.

"Daddy. What? How? Where?"

"I know you must know about the plane by now. Your mother called Lynnette, I wanted to be the one to call you."

"This really is you? You really are alive?" she asked fearing her sanity.

"It's really me. The rescue ship picked us up hours ago. They just now are letting us call our families. I can't talk long; in fact, I'm being told to wrap it up. Do me a favor and get a hold of Brian. Justin said he tried to call him but his phone was off. Justin used up all his time trying to get ahold of his husband."

"Justin's alive," she said looking at Mel. She saw her wife visibly relax. They had been so worried about Justin too.

"Is Melanie with you?" her father asked. She recoiled some at the question. Where else would her partner be at three in the morning?

"Yes," she said quietly.

"Good, tell her Leda is okay too. She used her call to phone her brother but she wanted Melanie to know she was alive and well."

"Leda was on the plane?"

Mel looked at her shocked. The list of the missing was made public weeks ago but they hadn't noticed Leda's name. But then again they weren't looking for it like Justin and her parents.

"Yep, she's a real spitfire. Look, I have to go now, they don't know when we'll get home. There is a lot of red tape they need to get through. Hopefully I'll be able to call you tomorrow or the next."

"Okay, Daddy. I love you. I can't wait to see you and mother again," she said brushing tears off her cheek.

"I can't wait either. Just know, a lot of things are going to change when I get back home. I want to get to know my family. I want my grandchildren to know me. There is so much I need to make up for. I love you, princess."

"I love you too, Daddy," she choked out.

"Goodbye, princess."

"Bye, Daddy."

After the phone call ended she fell into Melanie's arms. Then she just cried, from sadness and from joy. "They're alive," she whispered into her wife's shoulder.

Another few minutes passed before she remembers what her father said. Justin had tried to reach Brian but his phone was off. Since the plane went missing anytime Briana was somewhere else for the night Brian would get bombed. Picking the phone back up, she tried to call him but there was no answer.

"I need to go and tell Brian," she said, getting off the bed.

"Can't this wait until morning?"


Mel asked.

"If it was me, would you want to know as soon as possible or the morning?"

"Okay." She paused of a minute. "I can't believe Leda was on that plane. I thought Richard would have called me."

"Who's Richard?"

"Her brother. We all used to be so close. But I guess he may take the word ex to heart."

"Daddy said she was a spitfire. He sounded so different, he said he wants to get to know us as a family. To know his grandchildren, not just his grandson. I can't believe it Mel, they're alive."

Mel got out of the bed and wrapped her wife up in her arms. "Be careful," she told her wife, not liking the idea of her out driving so late.

"I will, promise."

"Brian, wake up," someone said while shaking him.

Brian opened one eye and saw Lindsay looking down at him. He was regretting giving her and Michael keys to the house in case of emergency now.

"What?" he choked out. His mouth felt like he had cotton balls in it. His throat was dry also.

"I've been trying to call you. The plane was found." She was beaming at him, it made his heart hurt worse. When it was clear he wasn't going to say anything else she continued. "Brian, did you hear me? Daddy just called me. He and mother are fine. He said Leda is okay too, I didn't know she was on the plane. He told me Justin used up his time on the phone trying to call you.

"Justin?" Brian asked, the fog clearing a little from his brain at the name.

"Yes, Daddy said he used up all his time trying to call you."

"Justin's dead."

"No, he's not. Daddy has been talking to him. I promise you Brian, I'm not lying."

Brian looked into the eyes of one of his oldest friends and saw the honesty mixed with worry. "He's really alive?"

"He is, I bet he's left some type of message on your phone."

After hearing that he pulled himself up. It was then he realized he had passed out on the floor of his kitchen. Shit, his back was going to pay him back for that the rest of the day. He staggered over to the counter where he had dropped his phone earlier. Turning it back on he waited until it chimed, telling him it had messages.

First message was from Colin Savage telling him there was a mix up. Travis and Justin both were on the ship and alive.

Second message was Colin again repeating the earlier message.

Message three and four were Mikey checking up on him.

Message five was Justin, his voice was hoarse like he had been crying. "Brian, I love you. I was beginning to think I would never see you again. There has been so much that has happened in the last month. I know before I left we were having problems, but I really want to work through any we were having. Oh yeah, I need you to get a family lawyer as soon as possible. A woman named Barbara Carmichael passed away the day of the crash. She left her grandson in my care, she wanted me to raise him, there is no one else in her family. Please Brian, I can't lose him now. His name is Joshua James Matthews, Ron said he would help if we ran into any big problems. They're telling me to wrap this call up. Tell Briana and Gus I love and miss them. I love you Brian, bye."

Brian felt Lindsay behind him rubbing his shoulders. Everything that Justin had said, he had needed to hear. He felt like kicking himself for turning his phone off last night. And what in the hell was that Justin said about a kid? They had another child now. The kid's only family had died in the crash or after, he was unsure.

"I can have Mel refer you to one of the other attorneys in her firm."

"No, I'll fine one. If Justin is attached to this boy, I bet the boy is attached to him too. I have a lawyer in mind already, we shouldn't be fighting anyone. You heard Justin the boy doesn't have any family left."

"Be real Brian, you've heard Mel. Gays in Pittsburgh never get a fair shake."

"Who said anything about Pittsburgh?"

"I'm not following."

"Justin got on that plane in New York. Who the hell knows where this boy and his grandmother were from. I just hope it's not Arizona or Georgia, or really any fucking place like them."

"Just think about it, another boy for Gus to play with."

"Justin didn't say how old the boy is, maybe he's a teenager. Don't start getting your hopes up, he might be closer to Hunter's age than Gus'. I just hope Sunshine knows what the hell he's doing." Brian stopped and turned to look at Lindsay. "He's alive," he whispered.

Tears brimmed Lindsay's eyes as she nodded. Brian couldn't contain his joy. He ran to her and lifted her up, spinning her around.

"Okay, you can put me down. I have to go back home," she said laughing.

"Have you told Briana?"

"No, I just got the call and came here to tell you. I didn't think you'd want me to wake her up and tell her. I was thinking next time he called you could put her on the phone with him." It wasn't a bad idea. That way she could hear his voice and know that he was okay.

"Yeah, okay. I'm going to pick her up at eight. Okay?"

"Sure." She gave him a peck on the mouth and left.

Looking around the house he realized he had a lot to do before Justin got home. First, he needed to clean out the guest room. He would wait until he talked to Justin before he bought furniture and clothes for the boy. He hoped the boy wasn't a teenager, he didn't think he could handle an older child. He also hoped it wasn't a very small child, he didn't think he could handle diapers again.


"So where do we go from here?" Ricki asked Lt. Palma.

They had been on the large ship for almost two days and had yet been allowed to call their families again. They had no idea where they were even headed.

"Since the flight originated from the states that's where we are headed back. For those that are not from the states they will be given emergency passports and can get home as soon as they are issued," Lt. Palma said in a monotone voice.

"What! I want to go home. How I'm I supposed to get there? Board another plane? Not very fucking likely," Olly ranted.

They were all seated in a large room on the ship. The injured were still in the infirmary. There was no way this was going to end well. Too many emotions were in this room. Francisco and Boris were both sedated in the infirmary, so at least they didn't have to worry about them.

"Papa, when are we going home?" Joshie asked.

Since they were rescued no one really questioned him about Josh. He hoped that Brian would have a lawyer, and a plan waiting for him by the time they got there.

"Soon," he told the boy.

A tall man in a business suit walked to the podium and tapped the mic. Justin couldn't explain it but he was getting a bad vibe from the guy. It might be because his face and glint in his eye reminded him of Craig. Some people in the world were just not good people. After that thought Justin started to feel bad, he was jumping to conclusions. He didn't even know this guy, judging a book by its cover and all that.

"Excuse me," the man said. The survivors quieted down. "My name is Mike Seisler, I work for Liberty Air." Murmurs filled the room.

Justin tried to listen to the man talk and keep a squirming preschooler entertained. There wasn't much success on either end. Before he knew it the meeting was over, and he had missed what it was about.

Luckily, he was in-between Leda and Ron. "I missed what he was talking about. What's going on?"

"It was their fault," Leda said, her face pale.

"What? They said it was their fault?" He had never heard of a company taking the blame, even if it was their fault. This one resulted in deaths, that was going to make the news big time.

"In a roundabout way that's what he said. Something about making this transitioning time as easy on us as possible," Ron said.

"I'm not following." Wishing now he had listened better.

"They are going to pay us and the dead's family off. They're saying they know what the problem was, it was their fault so instead of going to court and suing that could last for years we should take the settlement."

"Did he say why the plane went down?"

"No, but they'll tell us right after they have us sign a non-disclosure contract."

"What?"

"Yeah, it's a deal of the settlement."

"Come on, I'm getting sick being in this room," Ron said.

"Fuck," Justin whispered.


"FUCK!" Brian yelled, throwing the phone across the room. It had been two days since the call from Justin.

He had done everything Justin wanted. The lawyer was ready and waiting. He also went through the victim log and found two boys on the flight. One a ten-year-old named Logan Masters. They didn't believe it was him though because his father had been on the news talking about his son. The other boy was Joshua James Matthew, newly four years old. He was in the care of his grandmother, the only living relative he had. It seemed to match what Justin had told him. He would deny it to anyone who asked but he was excited about having another child.

The lawyer couldn't find any family for the boy, and he did look. It was looking good for them; the boy was from Connecticut so it didn't look like they would have problems from the state. His lawyer said that with the plane crash and relying on Justin for a month, that it would most likely be in the boy's best interest not to be ripped away from him. Brian hoped he was right.

The room was almost ready for furniture. The painters had just finished the walls in the room. When he was picking a color for the wall he thought blue. Gus had begged for his walls to be blue. But then he remembered not every little boy wanted blue walls. He might have gone a little over the top. But he wanted it to look perfect. The room is a pale yellow, if he wanted it changed Justin could arrange it. Before he bought the furniture he was going to have to confirm with Justin that it was the four-year-old. He had already bought the preschool section out at the toy store. If it wasn't the four-year-old, then a shit load of toy donations was going to be made in Briana's name.

"Daddy?" Briana's voice shook him out of his thoughts.

She was looking at his broken phone; it was broken at the mouth of the fireplace.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he said, usually he was better keeping his temper in check when she was around.

"You didn't scare me but Papa is gonna be so mad at you."

He smirked. "Why would he be mad at me?"

"You broke another phone."

"Sue me. Are you ready to go to Claire's?"

His sister had invited them to dinner. Although their relationship was much better now, this was unusual. The last time he was invited over like this it was to tell him she was pregnant. He didn't think that was going to be the news this time, at least he hoped not.

"Steven?" Briana asked shyly. Everyone knew about her massive crush on her cousin's seventeen-year-old boyfriend. The boy was cute in the boy next door way, he reminded him of Michael, when they were that age. Thankfully, Peter seemed to escape the Kinney curse. He was able to love and be loved before the age of thirty.

"I don't know if Steven is going to be there. Why don't you go get dressed and we'll see?"

"I'm so glad you could make it," Chris said, greeting them at the door.

"Hi Uncle Chris," Briana said giving him a big hug.

"Hello to you sweetpea. Claire's just finishing dinner, come in and have a seat."

As they walking into the well decorated open space he heard a noise from upstairs.

"You kids come on down and greet our guests."

The loud thundering of teenage feet stomped down the stairs. Peter was quickly followed by Steven. Then Chris's two daughters Rose and Azalea were behind them. Azalea had Simone in her arms. Chris wanted a flower name for Simone but Claire always wanted to name her daughter Simone. So they compromised on Simone Lily. Could be worse, her name could be Buttercup.

"Uncle Brian," was yelled by three of the kids. He tried to ignore the way his nephew's boyfriend checked him out. It was just creepy on so many levels.

They all sat around the living room and he listened to the endless chatter of teenagers. He wasn't fond of teenagers even when he was one.

Standing up he left them there, Briana was too busy giggling at everything Steven said. As he walked into the kitchen to see what Claire was doing he was followed by his youngest niece, leaning down he picked her up.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked.

She just giggled. He realized a while back that Simone was a little delayed in the speech department. She was smart as far as he could tell, she just only said a couple words. At two and a half both Gus and Briana chatted a lot, Briana more than Gus.

"So what do I owe the invitation to teen hormone central?" he asked Claire.

She was over the stove stirring something that looked like a heart attack in a pot.

"Brian, I didn't hear you arrive." She walked over and they had an awkward hug. It helped that he was still holding Simone.

"What's going on?" he asked, cutting to the chase.

"John wants the join the marines."

"Good."

"That's all you have to say?"

"What do you want me to say?"

"That it's a stupid idea. You know him he would end up getting his ass kicked before the first day is over."

"Maybe that's what he needs. Discipline."

"I know he's a loud mouth, and takes after Mom too much but he's still my son."

"Then you should be happy. Maybe now his life goal won't be to have the least amount of brain cells on is cell block. Is this what you really wanted to talk to me about?"

"Mostly," she hedged. He wasn't getting a great feeling about this. The worry about her asking for money wasn't really there anymore, Chris owned his own store, in truth he owned five of them. Sports stores.

"What do you want Claire?"

"I've got a house full, with four kids and Chris."

"So." The bad feeling started to get worse.

"Mom can't stay at her house alone."

"Why the hell not?"

"She's sick, she needs someone to take care of her."

"This is the same woman who told me I deserved cancer. The same woman that told you that you're going to hell for marrying a woman."

"Chris isn't a woman."

"We both know that but it doesn't change her mind. I'm not having my children around that woman. Mine are younger and more impressionable than yours."

"Brian…please," she started.

"I'm going to say this slowly so you understand. Fuck. No. If you want her in someone's house, take her. Or you could hire her a fucking nurse. Because that's the only way someone will deal with her is if they are being paid."

He didn't stay for dinner, picking up Briana right in middle of her conversation and left.

The house phone was ringing when they arrived home. It was then he remembered breaking his cell phone. He carried his sleeping daughter into the living room and laid her on the couch. Grabbing the phone, he answered it.

"Kinney."

"I was starting to think you didn't remember me," Justin's sweet voice said.

"I could never forget you, Sunshine."

"I love you."

"Me too."

Brian heard Justin sniffle. "God, I've missed you so much. How's Briana?"

"Good, she's sleeping right now on the couch. We just got back from Claire's."

"What were you doing there? Is she having another kid?"

"No, she wants Joan to move in with us."

"Like hell. The woman ruined your childhood, she won't be allowed to ruin our children's childhood. I especially don't want her to around you. I've seen what you're like when she's around."

Brian laughed a bit as he relaxed some. For a moment he thought Justin would tell him to let her move in. He shouldn't have worried Justin was always wanted the best for him.

"I've missed you so much, Sunshine. This house is so empty without you here."

"I was leaving you." Even though Brian thought that was the case it still hurt hearing it.

"I know."

"I left to find out who I really am."

"Did you?"

"Yes."

"Who are you?" Brian held his breath waiting for Justin's reply.

"Justin Taylor Kinney, father of Gus, Briana and Joshua. Struggling artist. Husband of Brian Kinney, the love of Justin Kinney's life." Justin voice broke at the last part of his sentence.

Trying not to break down on the phone with his husband Brian decided to change the direction of the conversation.

"So, we have another son now?"

Justin laughed. "Yes, he's amazing. His name is Joshua but we call him Joshie. He just turned four and lost his grandmother. Barbara asked me to raise him like my own."

"Christ, how long did you know the grandmother?"

"I chatted with her for about an hour before the plane went down. Did you get a lawyer; I won't give him up."

"Yeah, yeah. He said there shouldn't be any problem. He's going to start the process tomorrow."

"That's wonderful."

"I've started on his room. What does he like?"

"Animals, he's been terribly sad that the only ones he saw on the island turned into food very quickly. Polar Bears are his favorite at the moment because Logan gave him a stuffed one."

"Logan?"

"The other boy here, he's a sweet boy. Luckily, both of them survived."

"Do you know when you'll be home?"

"That's why I'm calling you. We'll dock in New York in a few hours. I was wondering if you could come and get us."

"I'll pack an overnight bag and we'll be there soon."

"Drive don't fly."

Brian decided not to argue with his husband about planes being safer than cars. He didn't think his husband would appreciate it after his ordeal.

"We'll be there in the morning."

"Listen, my time is up so, I'll see you later."

"Yeah, later."

Brian quickly packed bags for Justin and Briana. Then he went and got some of the clothes he bought for Joshua. By tomorrow morning his family would be whole again. But could he really handle three kids, he hadn't been sure about the first, the second just snuck up on him, now the third is being thrown at him. He hoped he wouldn't fuck everything up like he was prone to do.

Brian was an hour out of Pittsburgh before his phone rang. Briana was asleep in her car seat and that was the way he wanted to keep it. He pushed a button, and then the call was hands-less.

"What?"

"Brian, I'm glad you're still up. I got a call from Daddy a while ago, they are going to be in New York by morning. We're headed up there now."

"So are we," he said passing a slow as hell semi.

"We're going to be staying with Mel's cousin Imogen. What about you?"

"A hotel, like a normal person." He couldn't imagine sleeping on someone's guest bed or worse their couch. It was an unappealing thought.

"Daddy said he is leaving Mom. He wouldn't tell me why but said it was a long time coming. I'm sad their getting divorced but I'm happy that she won't have him under her control anymore. Is that wrong?"

"Of course it's wrong. You're a horrible daughter."

"Brian," she said with a laugh. "That's not funny."

"Then why are you laughing."

She sobered. "I just don't want him to hate me."

"He's called you twice already right?"

"Yes."

"How long has it been since he called to that many times this close together?"

"Not since college."

"Well, you have your answer right there."


Justin grinned as he laid down on a real bed. He had a shower on the ship but it was a very short one because they were to save water. The hotel the airline put them up in was swank. They were really trying to sweeten the pot but Justin had told the lawyer guy he wasn't signing anything until he talked to Brian.

A whole four levels were blocked off just for them. Too bad Justin couldn't find a vending machine on those levels that had the chips he wanted. Joshua was laying on the bed watching some cartoon that seemed to be written for adults instead of kids. Justin didn't turn it off though the kid needed something funny to watch.

He looked at the clock, it read two in the morning. Deciding he wanted something to munch on he grabbed the key to his room. He didn't want to wake up any of his friends to watch Joshie so he just picked the boy up. Josh had woken up a few minutes ago too. Being in the hotel was too strange to him.

"Where are we going?"

"To the lobby and see if they have any good chips in their vending machine." It seemed like they had been there forever even though it had really only been a few hours. The press conference was at noon but he tried not to worry about that.

Joshie laid his head down on Justin's shoulder as they took the elevator down to the lobby. He was too anxious to sleep, in a few hours he would be seeing his husband and daughter. It was a dream come true.

"I don't fuck care about your rules," a loud familiar voice roared.

Justin blinked at the slight in front of him. Standing in front of the reception desk was Brian. He had Briana in his arms and a scowl on his face. The man had yet to notice him because his attention was focused on the woman with the name badge.

"Please, sir, you have to calm down. As I explained we are booked solid for tonight."

"Even the fucking presidential suite?"

"Sir, that suite needs to be booked at least a day ahead of arrival."

"Is it book?" he growled.

"No, sir but-

She was cut off by Brian. "So let me get this straight instead of making thousands of dollars for a few hours you would rather have the suite empty making no money?"

"Sir, I'm going to have to call security if you don't calm down."

Justin not wanting to see his husband get thrown out of one of best hotels in the city decided to intervene.

"Brian," he called softly.

Brian turned around quickly, their eyes locked and it was like they both were in a trance. That was until Briana noticed him.

"Papa!" she yelled, making Brian put her down.

Justin was glad he has showered and shaved now. He didn't want Brian to see how slovenly he looked before.

Kneeling down he sat Joshie down on his feet just at the time Briana hit him full speed. Tearing up he hugged her tightly. He didn't admit it until this moment he was broken without her.

"I've missed you so much," he whispered into her hair.

"We've missed you too, Sunshine," he heard Brian say.

Looking up he saw the man brush a stray tear off his cheek.

"Come on up to our room," Justin said, refusing to break down in the lobby.

"Sure."

It was a quiet ride back up to his room, chips forgotten about. Briana would let him put her down. He noticed Joshie was being oddly quiet and followed sullenly.

As Brian shut the door of the room Justin laid Briana down on one of the queen beds.

"It's time for us all to be introduced. I'll start, for those who don't know, I'm Papa." Justin smiled when both Briana and Joshie giggled. "This tall guy over her is Daddy."

Joshie gasped. "Daddy?"

Knowing he was treading on shaky ground he went lightly. "Yes, remember we talked about it. We're all family. You. Briana. Gus. Daddy. Me."

"Are we going home?" the boy asked quietly.

"Justin," Brian warned. Justin knew Brian was worried about getting the boy's hopes up.

"Yes, we're going home tomorrow." Justin looked up at Brian. "What did the lawyer say?"

"He'll be here tomorrow. The social worker is going to meet us at ten."

Justin nodded his head. "Okay, I think it's time for bed."

"I'm not sleepy," Briana said followed by a large yawn.

"I not sleepy," Joshie said adding his two cents.

"That means no doughnuts in the morning," Justin said. He had only a few dollars he got from an airline rep. But now with Brian they would eat like kings.

Both kids laid down on a bed each. "Nope, everyone under the age of five sleeps on this bed," Brian said picking up Briana and laying her down beside Joshie. "And everyone over the age of twenty can sleep on this one." Pointing at the newly empty bed.

"Brian, it'll just be sleeping you know."

"I'm not an idiot, Sunshine."

Justin was surprised when Brian made no attempt to hug him or kiss him, in fact the man hadn't gotten near him.

After a few minutes the kids both had nodded off to sleep. Even being in an unfamiliar place being so late they couldn't stay awake a second more.

"I'm going to shower," Brian said, breaking through Justin's thoughts.

Brian flipped the extra lock on the door to make sure the kids couldn't get out if they were asleep.

Justin watched as Brian disappeared into the bathroom. Maybe Brian had found someone else. Maybe he didn't want him anymore. Maybe it was him telling Brian that he had been leaving him the day of the crash. His mind was going crazy with horrible thoughts. Not being able to take it anymore he went to the bathroom. He turned the knob, luckily it wasn't locked.

As he opened the door and walked in he felt himself be lifted up. Before he knew what was happening he found his body being pushed up against the now closed bathroom door. Brian's mouth locked on to his and Justin wrapped his legs around the man's waist.

Brian pulled away just long enough to pulled Justin's shirt off. Then he plundered Justin's mouth again. Suddenly, he was lowered to the ground.

"Take your pants off," Brian growled.

Doing what he was told he quickly shed his clothes, Brian losing his also.

"You didn't bring in your bags," Justin pointed out.

Brian shoved his hand in his pants pocket and pulled out several packets, condoms and packets of lube both. He then picked Justin up and sat him on the sink. After hurriedly preparing him he quickly sheathed himself. Justin wanted it quick and hard and he wasn't disappointed. The hardest part was trying to keep quiet so the kids wouldn't wake up.

Brian lifted him back off the sink and pushed him up against the door.

"I've missed you so fucking much," Brian said as he continued to slam him into the door with his thrusts.

"Never again, Brian. I'm never going to be apart from you again."

"I won't let you," Brian growled now thrusting even harder. Justin closed his eyes and enjoyed knowing that he would be feeling Brian for days. He was never letting his husband get as distant as he was before the crash again.