- Text Size +

PART XIII ~DO NOT PASS GO~


“So how do you want to play this?” Craig asked his wife. They had been stuck in the same hotel suite since the previous evening. Neither got much rest as they had laid awake planning their revenge on Justin and the man he was with. Craig refused to believe that there was more than a passing acquaintance between the two men.


“Well, with that little whore being preggers, that puts a new light on everything, doesn’t it? Do you think Laurent will trade targets? I mean, by all accounts he is bisexual, and the main goal all along is that he has your child as payment. What if he instead focuses on Justin? Unlike Molly, he doesn’t have the clout of well-to-do people backing him like she does. If Molly goes missing, it will point to us without doubt. But with Justin… well he hasn’t been around for a long time. It would be nothing for everyone to assume he’d gone to ground again, right?”


Craig weighed Marlene’s opinion carefully. There was no doubt that Craig held Justin responsible for all of their plans being thwarted where Molly was concerned, and that he should accept some responsibility for that. But to give him to Laurent in Molly’s place? “What assurances do we have that Justin hasn’t amassed his own network of high-powered friends? I mean, like you said, he’s been gone a long time.”


“But Darling, he was just a lowly dancer in a traveling dance troupe. Granted, the boy must have had some talent to be part of that particular set, but I can’t imagine that outside of those wretched Sheltons and Donaldsons, that Justin has managed to make any other notable friends.”


“Are we forgetting about the Chartrez family? And from what I’ve been researching about that buster, Brian Kinney, he isn’t a slouch in the political clout department either!” Craig took a deep breath and sighed. “Let’s face it, Marlene, Justin and Malinda are well out of our reach. To go after them now would be committing suicide, both financially and socially.”


“Puff and nonsense, Craig! Where is the man I married? The man who didn’t play by anyone else’s rules? The man who intended to rule his kingdom, especially that bitch’s litter, with an iron fist? If Molly wasn’t pregnant, we could have her marriage annulled. As it is, the man was her professor at one time. Isn’t there some kind of ethics code within universities that frown upon that sort of thing. A comment to the right people will have that little bitch cowed, and basically in the position she was destined for in the first place- as some man’s live-in whore, even if it isn’t Laurent’s. As for Justin… well, if Laurent is bi as we think he is, then this would be the perfect trade off. Undoubtedly the boy is as beautiful as his sister, and probably as effeminate, too. He’s probably submissive even now to Kinney. Which is probably the only reason why the brunet would want him. He would certainly make the prime candidate to work off our debt to Laurent.”


Craig’s response was interrupted by a forceful knock on the door just before it was opened by a card in the lock. The ready protests from both the occupants died on their lips as the police flooded the room. Craig narrowed his eyes as a familiar shadow darkened the doorway, although he couldn’t place the face of the man making his way towards them.


“Craig and Marlene Taylor, you are both under arrest for violation of restraining orders issued in favor of Justin Taylor and Malinda Taylor-Callahan.”


“What the hell is the meaning of this? And who the fuck are you?!” Craig spewed, even as Marlene hid behind him.


The laugh that burst forth was hearty but there was no mirth in it. “I’m surprised you don’t remember me, Craig. After all, my ex-wife was Jennifer’s cousin.” He smiled wide at the gasp that burst forth at his pronouncement. “But to refresh your faulty memory, I’m Detective Carl Horvath. I was also the arresting officer some years ago of the she-wolf hiding herself behind you.”


“Then, I will be appealing to your superiors. This is a blatant conflict of interests on your part,” Craig said, all bravado.


“On the contrary, Craig. I’ve already spoken to my superiors regarding this matter, and they agreed that I was the right one to make the arrests since I am familiar with the inner workings of this case as well as the others pending against the both of you. Now, you have the right to remain silent…”


“Bullshit! We will not remain silent! This is clearly harassment!” Marlene shrieked, causing all movement within the hotel room to stop.


“Really? Were you or were you not informed of the restraining orders upon your release from the Women’s Correctional Facility some years ago?”


“Of course I was, but shouldn’t those have been lifted by now? I mean, Justin and Malinda are adults and not the helpless children they claimed to be when they had me falsely imprisoned.” She narrowed her eyes at Carl.


“Age had nothing to do with it then, and it certainly doesn’t now. Every year since they left your care, they have had the order renewed. So to answer your nonsensical question, no, the orders weren’t lifted, and by your antics both last night and the conversation we overheard, it’s a good thing they weren’t. So, as I was saying… Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be provided to you. Do you both understand these rights?”


“Wait! You said that you overheard our conversation?” Craig questioned.


“Indeed, we have. In fact, it’s all on tape, including a phone call that you placed, Marlene.”


“Phone call? What phone call?!” Craig exploded.


Her face flushed and she bowed her head, allowing herself to be handcuffed in the process. “I think I will take that option to remain silent now.”


“Marlene?”


“Craig, not now. Just remember that I love you, and that’s why I made that call.”


Carl laughed. “Funny, but didn’t you say the same thing to Antonio Laurent not even three hours ago? I guess a woman’s love is truly fickle when it is as self-serving as yours, huh Marlene? Get her out of here.” Carl then turned to Craig after watching his wife be led away. “You know, I would almost feel sorry for you. After all, you were so close to letting your useless and wrongful vendetta against your children go. But the fact that you were willing to sacrifice their well-being for your own selfish reasons… well, my inclination towards sympathy just isn’t set up that way. A charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and unlawful detainment is also being added to both yours and Marlene’s list of charges. Congratulations, Craig. You’ve finally hit rock bottom. Take him away.”


Carl watched in silence, letting the relief flood him at sight of Craig Taylor’s retreating back. The problem with Justin and Molly’s parents was resolved for the moment, but the advent of a new problem was only just beginning. Although Marlene’s suggestion of trading Justin for Molly was out there, for now it was only that… a suggestion. They would have to watch and see what moves Laurent would take in either direction before deciding how to proceed; whether the crime boss would acknowledge that the contract between him and the idiotic Taylors was now null and void, or if he would be desperate and stupid enough to go after Justin Taylor in exchange for Molly’s freedom. So even though he was going to go against protocol and warn Justin, Brian, and their supporters of the impending danger, it was still a fucking waiting game. And if nothing else, Carl hated those with a passion.


~LS~


Lindsay looked upon Michael’s downtrodden expression smugly as he sat down heavily on the bench beside her. “I thought you were posting bail?” she smirked, barely suppressed a chuckle at the baleful look he threw her.


“Obviously not.”


“Well why not? I heard Ben was here to see you. Surely, he’s forgiven you by now?”


“No. And I really don’t want to talk about it or hear your bitchy comments right now, okay Lindsay?”


“Sorry,” she said, even though she was anything but. “I was just trying to make conversation.”


“Yeah, well don’t. Especially since this is all your fault!”


“My fault? What the hell are you talking about?” Lindsay exploded, all pretense of patience and sympathy gone.


“The fact that your bitchy, butchy ex is representing Ben!”


“Representing him, how?”


“He’s suing me for eighteen grand!”


“But you don’t have that kind of money! What the hell did you do?”

 

He rolled his eyes at her before looking away. “I bought into your bullshit about hiring that fucking private eye, that’s what. I had to send minimal support to Jenny to join you in keeping tabs on Brian...”


“That was your choice, not mine.”


“Yeah, but if you hadn’t suggested it in the first place…”


“Oh no you don’t, Michael. You will not put this all on me and pretend that you didn’t benefit from it as well.”


“I didn’t say that!”


“No, but you are implying it.” She narrowed her eyes at him, staring him down until he looked away. “So what did Ben say?”


“What was left to say after he handed me the civil litigation papers, but that the Canadian divorce decree came in the mail yesterday?”


“Oh Michael, I told you that was a bad idea until you were sure of your back-up plan. But surely now your way to Brian is clear…”


“No, it isn’t. Instead, it’s stuck up the ass of that fucking blond he was with earlier. While I was still sitting in the interrogation room after Ben hightailed his tall ass out of there, I heard whispers.”


“Whispers? What kind of whispers?” Lindsay asked, barely keeping the shrill out of her voice.


“Apparently, Brian is involved heavily with Justin Taylor, and according to the rumors, they’ve been involved for some time.”


“But that’s impossible. Surely we would have heard as much from the private detective before now.”


“I don’t know, Lindz. I mean, he was taking a lot of out of town trips, saying that it was business. But was it really? You saw them together… it’s like neither of us existed, or anyone else for that matter, except for the two of them.”


“Michael, Michael, Michael… it was a game. Only just a little game Brian was playing. It had to be, otherwise…” Lindsay trailed off, replaying the two scenes with Brian and the blond in her mind.


“Otherwise, we’re in here for nothing!”


Lindsay shook her head. She refused to believe that. “Look, I’ve called Sam at the hotel. I hope he’ll be along to post bail soon. Once I’m out of here, I’ll make some inquiries as to the history of the blond. I don’t know where I’ve seen him before, but it certainly wasn’t around Brian. Besides, he’s not his type.”


“Yeah, he normally goes for brunets like me, who just happen to be gym bunnies. You know, I’ve always thought…”


“I know exactly what you thought, Michael,” Lindsay said, her voice full of disdain. It always amazed her that Michael continued to believe he was some sort of prized catch. Sure, he was attractive in that boy-next-door sort of way, but Brian had never been attracted to that type. He'd always lusted after the physique of a man. In truth, the men he usually favored resembled himself instead of Michael's awkward build. But when it came to coherent conversations and not those involving comics, he'd always preferred talking with her as opposed to Michael of the Mickey Mouse voice. Clearing her throat of the tone, she softened her features. “But now, he’s gone for someone more like me, in a sense.”


Michael laughed. “What the hell are you talking about?”


“His latest find is more refined in features than well... you. Sure he’s young, but I would bet this baby I'm carrying that the boy is WASP. Hmm… maybe a call to my parents is in order. I mean, they certainly know the who’s who of our set. If he was born and bred Country Club, they would know.”


“And what does that have to do with anything?”


Lindsay shook her head. Could the man be any more dense? she thought, as she mentally answered her own question in the affirmative. Taking note of his expectant look, she decided to answer him. “The first rule in any war, Michael, is to know your enemy. If it is as I suspect, then that boy, Justin, has secrets. And those secrets, placed in the right ears, will destroy any association with Brian faster than we can blink. After all, Brian Kinney is all about appearances, isn’t he?”


A slow smile curled Michael’s lips, and suddenly Lindsay was reminded of the Joker from the Batman cartoons that Gus used to favor. She shook her head of the thought, thinking that it was high time to get out of the moron’s presence. Sure she was saying all the things Michael longed to hear for now about how Brian would be his. It kept her main rival close to her. But as soon as she was able to find out what she needed about Justin Taylor and removed him from Brian’s orbit, then and only then, would it be time to take care of the imbecile beside her. For now though, she needed Michael as an ally, so she would bide her time and play into his fantasies that he would ever be the one for Brian Kinney. But first, it was time to take care of the little asshole who thought he could out-WASP her.


“Peterson, you’ve posted bail,” the guard called out from the cell doorway.


“Be strong, Michael. I’ll be back to visit when I can.” She jumped up as fast as her burgeoning belly would allow her. “And for the love of God, keep your ears open, but your mouth shut! If this is going to work, we need the element of surprise. Don’t fuck it up before we’ve even started. Understand?”


“Yes, Lindsay. Meanwhile, can you tell my mother I’m here? I’m sure she will post bail for me.”

 

“Will do,” Lindsay lied easily as she alighted from the cell. She smiled upon hearing the satisfying clang behind her. Oh poor little Justin, your days with my husband-to-be are numbered. Don’t get too comfortable!