- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Shorter Chapter but pretty important. There may be a second part to it...

BTW... This is un-Beta'd so any mistakes are mine. 

Part III: Who's Your Daddy Now?   

 

Brian and Justin arrived at the resort. He had been briefed on the situation concerning Gus during another phone call from Ted and Emmett. Brian was beyond pissed upon hearing from Gus' lips that Lindsay had the gall to let Sam speak to Gus in the manner he had. He was tempted to call Lindsay back to just to yell her fucking ear off; something that Ted, Emmett and the blond beside him strongly advised against.

 

"Brian, you need to meet with Harry before you take even the slightest action. It's true that Lindsay has been derelict in her care of Gus in favor of her lover- her male lover- but right now, Melanie holds your rights. I'm sure that there won't be an issue with you getting them back especially since she told me to block Lindsay's access to Gus' college fund," Ted's calm voice came through over the speaker of Brian's cell phone.

"That's another thing that I can't understand, Ted. Melanie nearly dropped her uterus because I wanted to maintain sole control of that money in the first place. Why the sudden change of heart?" From Ted and Emmett's sudden silence over the phone, he knew that he wasn't going to like what they had to say. "Spill it and don't leave a fucking thing out!"

Ted inhaled sharply, an action not lost on either of the men. Since working for Brian, Ted had learned to discern what Brian needed to be told immediately from what could wait until he was in a more reasonable state of mind. Unfortunately, Ted could neither wait to tell Brian nor could he wait for King Kinney to reign himself in. Shaking his head, he began to speak. "Brian, she has been having you followed by a PI, whom she hired with money from Gus' college fund."

"WHAT?!" Brian exploded. "The bitch has been having me followed?!" Brian was having trouble reconciling the Lindsay he befriended in college to the scheming, conniving harridan she had obviously become. "Why?"

Ted was about to answer but a small voice answered him, instead. "Why do you think, Dad? For months, you were all Mom talked about- mostly while she thought Jenny and I weren't listening. Sometimes she would speak out loud to no one. You know, sort of how Uncle Ted does when he is working on a b..b.. Budget, yeah that's the word! A budget and then other times she would be on the phone with someone. I remember that she almost accidentally called Sam by your name more than a few times on the way to Pittsburgh. But she stopped herself from doing it. I really wish she had so that he would have left."

 

All of the older men were silent as they processed what Gus said. This thing with Sam Auerbach had really taken its toll on Gus, something they could all see clearly. It was a wonder why Lindsay couldn't. But then again, Lindsay was proving herself to be a selfish bitch, even where her child was concerned. Emmett broke the silence.

 

"Brian, you owe it to yourself- to Gus- to speak with Harry Donaldson before you make any sudden decisions."

"And to talk with Mel, Brian," Ted cut in. "She actually might surprise you."

"I seriously doubt that but whatever. One more thing though. I think I better call Horvath. If anyone can run interference with Debbie, it's him. She's already called but I didn't pick up."

"You think she's talked to Michael?" Ted asked.

"I'm pretty sure she has. She left a message but honestly, I don't want to hear it right now."

"I'll call her," Emmett volunteered. "You have enough to worry about already tonight. But- um- how much do you want me to tell her?"

Brian thought about it a moment. He knew that the fact that he hadn't picked up immediately when she called was going to be a sore point with her. And if Mikey was true-to-form, he had only given her what he wanted Deb to know; the things that only affected him. Michael was if nothing else, predictable. "Tell her all of it, Em, including what she doesn't know about Michael."

"You mean--"

"All of it, Emmett. And yes, that includes about my return trip from Chicago but only if it's necessary."

"I know that Deb knows you've been busy with Kinnetik, Bri, since I told her that myself," Ted reassured him.

"Yes, but we all know how Debbie gets when there's about to be blood in the water- so to speak- and it involves bursting Michael's perfect little bubble."

For the first time during the entire conversation, Justin spoke up. "I agree with Brian. I've known Deb a long time and although I've never met Michael until today, I know how she is with everyone else. If she's that over-protective of the gays on Liberty Avenue, what do you think she'll be like when her own son feels threatened?"

"Tell her all of it," Brian confirmed. "This way she can't say that she wasn't told and that she didn't know. Just make sure that Ben isn't around when you're on the phone with her. The last thing I need is to be blamed for putting a stop to Michael's foray into hetero-mania."

"I don't think you'll have to worry too much about blame being placed on you this time Brian. Ben found the sheets," Ted told him.

"What?" Brian closed his eyes. How could Michael have been so stupid?

"He called me earlier while we were at the diner. Remember that call I went outside to take? That was Ben. He didn't want Debbie to overhear until he had all the facts. I'm just glad that you told me about it the night it happened."

"What? What happened?" Justin asked.

Brian reached over to ruffle his blond hair. "A lot that we don't really have time to talk about now. But suffice it to say that my married ex-best friend thought that it was a good idea to let himself into my loft and make himself way too comfortable."

"Understated much, Brian?" Emmett said. "Justin, Brian never sleeps on anything other than silk sheets unless he's planning for a night of extreme pleasure in which he owns several of the Si Exxxtreme sheets, which are made of supersoft rubber and waterproof, if you get my meaning. Let's just say that the silk sheets are of the finest quality and hold certain odors prior to washing. They are imported and matched the duvet perfectly. You'll get to understand this about Brian, if you haven't already. He never does anything half-assed. Consequently, a certain someone's whole ass sans drawers was romping around in his bedding, which cost well over a thousand dollars when he arrived home from his last trip to Chicago."

Justin burst out laughing at the scene that Emmett painted in his head. Looking over to his companion's look of reminiscence and subsequent fury, Justin laughed harder. "No...wonder...he is so obsessed with you," he gasped out.

"Yeah well, glad I could provide you with this evening's entertainment. Remind me to take it out of your pay."

"Bullshit," Justin retorted. "If this had happened to Ted or Emmett, you can't tell me that you wouldn't be laughing, too."

 

Brian rolled his eyes at the young man unable to force back the chuckle that escaped him. It still amazed him how at ease he felt with Justin. He felt as comfortable with him as he did with Ted and Emmett, only there was more. Before he had a chance to stop himself, he grabbed the younger man, pulling him onto his side of the limo and connected their lips. The melodious sound of Justin's laughter quickly made music of a different sort. The moan which vibrated against Brian's lips went straight to his cock. Breaking the kiss, he watched as Justin's long dark blond lashes rested against his pinkened cheeks and Brian couldn't deny that Justin was a beautiful sight to behold. As Justin lifted his eyes slowly to rest on Brian's, the older man could see the sapphire blue they had become with Justin's sudden arousal. Brian smirked at the thought which flitted through his mind: The look of an angel with the lust of a devil. He was looking forward to testing that theory before the night was through.

 

They were interrupted by Emmett clearing his throat. "So where were we? Oh yes, Brian, are you sure you want me to tell Debbie everything? And by everything I mean about Gus being with you instead of missing?"

Brian sighed. This shit was getting even more complicated by the second. "You can't tell her that part, Emmett. You remember what almost happened with that Montgomery woman and the courts? If the judge had her way, the littlest hustler, Hunter would be back out tricking and all because some narrow-minded twit thought that he should be with his mommy," Brian adopted a high-pitched sanctimonious voice at the end of his spiel. "I will not let go of my son the way his mother apparently has for sake of an invisible umbilical cord that judges seem to think every woman who gives birth has. My own fucking mother didn't and Lindsay doesn't either. But the rest, you can tell Debbie."

"Now that's a woman who should have cut the cord long since," Justin muttered, which earned him a light smack in the back of the head. "Ouch...but it's the truth."

Brian chuckled. "I know it is but you can't say that. You don't know Michael."

"Well from what I've seen of him so far, I don't want to either. All he needs is a diaper and a pacifier and he would be a two year old." Justin rolled his eyes even while he heard snickers from the other end of the phone's receiver.

"It looks like Justin knows Michael very well, Brian," Ted said. "We're on the way to the manor now. Does Gus have clothes there or do we need to make a stop?"

"Gus has the last suit that I bought him at the house. There shouldn't be too much adult stuff happening there tonight so it should be safe for you and Emmett to bring him. I expect you both front and center in less than an hour."

"Don't worry Brian, we'll be there. Plus Cynthia is coming too. She figured that since her flight gets in at about seven, there's no point in her going to the office. I think it's a good idea for her to be there, especially since you have to be able to split your time in three different directions tonight. Plus you have to introduce your partner to people."

"I don't have a fucking partner. I thought we agreed that this wasn't going to work."

"No Brian, YOU agreed with yourself that it wouldn't work. Emmett and Ted agreed that it would. As for me, there's no harm in playing make believe for now and it can only help your case," answered Justin with a smile.

Clearly outnumbered Brian said, "Alright. But does that mean I get ALL the rights and privileges a partner gets, too?"

Justin leaned over and kissed Brian hungrily, leaving the man breathless as he finished. He put his tongue to his upper lip as if tasting Brian there and then smiled as he looked at Brian dazed expression. "Only if I get those same rights, Brian." The small wink he added on the back of his statement spoke volumes.

 

They disconnected the call with Ted, Em and Gus upon arriving at the resort. Upon entry Brian inspected each setting asking Justin what he thought. With a few well-placed suggestions and minor changes, Brian had to admit that Justin was going to fulfill his role as intern admirably. With the young man's artistic vision coupled with Brian's, the night was sure to be a success for Kinnetik. They were just rounding the corner to another section of the ballroom that would serve as a dance floor when Justin stopped abruptly, halting Brian in the process.

 

"Let's go back to the other side," Justin stammered, never taking his eyes off the couple at the far end of the large space.

"What's the matter?" Brian grabbed the younger man around the waist, turning him around so that they were face-to-face.

"N..nothing. I just don't think that there is anything we can do in here."

"Uh-huh," Brian uttered noncommittally. "Who are they?"

Justin didn't need to know who he was talking about The only other people in that end of the ballroom were the serving staff setting out wine glasses and champagne flutes to be filled upon request. "They're nobody."

Brian took note of the suddenly rigid posture and Justin's downcast eyes and knew beyond doubt that the younger man was lying to him. "Justin..."

"No, Brian. I don't want to talk about this now."

"Just now instead of later as well?"

Justin shook head. "I....I " Fortunately as he was about to answer Brian's question, they were interrupted by a newcomer.

"Justin, my boy! How the hell are you?" Harry's booming voice reached them.

Justin breathed a sigh of relief even as he smiled genuinely at the man who had been like a second father to him. "Harry! It's so great to see you." They embraced tightly, happy in the knowledge that they were once again reunited. "How are things?"

"Well now that you are home, maybe Molly will come up for air. She's been at the lab both day and night, working on something but she won't tell us anything beyond that. Personally I think that Professor Callahan is driving her too hard."

Justin smiled. "Well you know Mollusk, Harry. Tell her she can't do something and she'll spend every waking minute proving them wrong."

Harry nodded. "That's true, son, but this time it's more than that. I feel it and I'm never wrong."

Justin nodded in return, flashing back to a time when Harry's theories regarding his own life had been dead on. "What do you think it is then?"

"I don't know exactly, Justin. But I do know that she is hiding something."

"I'll ask her when I can finally catch up to her."

"Make sure that you do. Now I would like to meet your Brian," Harry deftly switched the subject to the man who was hovering near Justin.

"He's not MY Brian, Harry." Justin laughed.

"Oh, so that's why he's standing so close to you and I interrupted what could have become something more except for my ill-timing." He laughed at the sudden stain of embarrassment on Justin's cheeks before extending his hand. "Harry Donaldson, Esquire."

"Brian Kinney," the tall brunet answered back smiling. During the brief exchange that he had witnessed between Justin and the older gentleman, Brian had decided that he liked the plain-speaking man. "Thanks for agreeing to meet with Justin and me."

"No need to thank me. There isn't much that I wouldn't do for Justin."

Justin looked out of the corner of his eyes, noticing that they had drawn the attention of the couple at the end of the ballroom. "How about we move this back to the front office? Brian, your briefcase is there, right?" Without waiting for an answer, Justin began to make his way around the corner when the most dreaded voice in his memory reached him.

"I thought that was you, Justin. What the fuck are you doing here?" the newcomer said, spite laced in every nuance of his voice.

Justin rolled his eyes heavenward before drawing himself up to his full-height. Displaying a confidence he didn't feel, he turned around. "Craig. I would say that it is good to see you, but I would be lying through my teeth and you aren't worth that."

"I thought you were dead," Craig sneered.

"Why aren't you dead yet? I would have thought that the she-wolf you married would have eaten you by now."

"Do not talk about your step-mother that way!" Craig raised his voice, causing all the action within the room to cease. "You will give her the respect she deserves, unlike yourself!"

Justin laughed, the bitterness he felt towards the man before him seeping through the sound. "The only thing that bitch deserves is a 9x9 cell in jail or a spot reserved in hell. But maybe she has it already since she's still married to you."

Craig grabbed him by his arm as Justin turned away. "Listen here, you ungrateful little..."

Craig's sentence trailed off as his wrist was abruptly grabbed and twisted, causing him to release Justin's arm with a grimace at the man touching him. The angry hazel eyes which looked upon him with contempt startled him.

"If you ever want to use this hand to eat with or jerk off, you won't touch Justin again," Brian said, growling quietly.

"Look pal, I don't know who the fuck you think you are but this doesn't concern you," Craig gritted out as he detached his hand forcefully from the strong grip holding it in an uncomfortable position.

"On the contrary, Craig. It concerns me a great deal."

"Brian, let's just go." Justin requested.

"You aren't going anywhere, Justin! Not until I'm through with you!" sneered Craig.

Brian laughed. "Justin, who is this clown? We should sign him up for tomorrow's entertainment."

"He's someone who no longer matters. Truthfully, he never did," Justin answered. "Come on, Brian. I think it's time we took care of our business and try to enjoy the rest of this evening."

"You will do as I say! Do you hear me, Justin? You will stand there and..." Craig's sentence trailed off as the wrist of his right hand was abruptly grabbed and twisted again, causing him to release his grip on Justin's arm.

Harry, who had remained silent throughout the entire exchange, looked from Justin's shocked expression to the pain mirrored in Craig's watery blue eyes. But the fury in Brian's eyes, which had turned a glittering green, caused Harry to believe that it was time to put a stop to this contretemps now. "Brian, release the idiot, if you please." Harry said calmly although he was on the brink of laughter when the tall brunet narrowed his eyes before fulfilling the request. Turning to the sputtering man before them, he said, "Craig, this is neither the time nor the place for your bullshit. All that wasn't said between you and Justin the day he left your house is a moot point and wouldn't make a difference now that he is a full-grown man."

"I don't give a fuck if he is fucking twelve or a hundred and twelve! He's my fucking son and I'll say whatever I want, whenever I want to him and neither you nor the buffoon that's with him will stop me!" Craig had moved closer to Harry, trying to intimidate the well-bred lawyer into obeying his will.

Instead of backing down, Harry applauded. The echos of his palms began softly until the noise reached a crescendo magnified by the acoustics within the near empty ballroom. Harry waited until the final ‘clap' of his hands finished reverberating off of the walls, causing the deafening silence to once again reign supreme. "Are you finished with your drama king moment, Craig? Did you get the ultimate pleasure with all eyes being on you; all ears listening to that drivel you spat? All you succeeded in doing was showing yourself as a petulant child, who hasn't and still won't get his way. You should be somewhere in the corner with a dunce cap on since you appear to be too stupid to know when to let go. Justin and Molly have made it more than abundantly clear that they want NOTHING to do with you. In fact, if Justin wanted to, he could still summon the police to take you and your sorry bitch of a wife to jail since the restraining orders against the both of you have never been lifted. So a word of advice, Craig....stay the fuck away from Justin."

"And if I don't?" Craig spat through gritted teeth. He was angry because his plans for Justin would, once again, be thwarted. Because of the fucking pissant he'd created with that bitch Jennifer, Craig's former lucrative business had gone down the drain.

 

When Justin and Molly had his wife arrested for child endangerment and abuse, Craig Taylor was also held up to public ridicule for endangerment and neglect, which grossly affected his business. It didn't matter that he had cut a plea bargain, which earned him probation and community service instead of jail time. All that the public- his WASPy community- had seen was a man who sided with the abuser of his children. It was an open secret that Craig had kicked Justin out without a dime to his name- a situation that Harry and those fucking Sheltons had rectified at Craig's expense. Although he was allowed to keep his store, the operating costs alone kept him in debt. The only reason that he was allowed at the Chartrez opening was because Marlene had won a contest that afforded them a week's stay at the all-inclusive resort. Considering it was an opening with many of the nouveau-riche instead of those with old money attending, Craig and Marlene had figured that it was a good way to drum up business.

But with the arrival of his out-of-control and ever-belligerant son, that opportunity looked to be slipping through his fingers as well. He knew that Justin was a dancer with a stellar reputation. His name had always been bandied about whenever Craig was within earshot of those wishing him to know that he hadn't destroyed the younger man. As far as Craig was concerned, Justin owed him for the very air he breathed and it was time that he share his wealth with his old man since Justin had wantonly destroyed his.    

 

Harry had stood silent, watching all of the emotions play over the countenance he had grown to hate for many years. He knew that Craig's motives were all about greed and supposed guilt that he intended to heap upon Justin for his own failures as a man. Harry Donaldson was not about to let that happen! "If you don't, I will happily have your ass removed from the facility right now."

"You can't do that," Craig sputtered.

"He's right, Harry. You can't," Brian said with a small smirk on his face. "But my partner and I can."

"What the fuck are you talking about? Harry, who is this fucking partner he is talking about?"

Brian grabbed hold of the partner in question. "Craig Taylor, meet my partner, Justin Taylor. But then I guess you kind of already figured it out." Brian leaned down and kissed the blond locks that neatly tucked under his chin as if it automatically knew where it belonged.

"What the fuck? My son is gay? There's no fucking way I spawned a faggot!"

All three men laughed at the histrionics of Craig and the subsequent looks of disgust on Marlene's face. Justin answered for them all. "Since technically ‘faggot' means bundle of sticks, I don't suppose you did spawn one, Craig. But then again you may have since you've had a stick up your ass as long as I can remember. Now if you're asking if you have a homosexual for a son, then the answer is yes. Which means I like cock, just like the many that have been fucking your wife's ass, pussy and throat. I'm sure there have been many MANY more to do the same since the day I left home, but that's beside the point. The only one I'm interested in is Brian's." He shrugged even as he threw a proprietary arm around the Armani-clad slender hips.

"That's disgusting!" Craig exclaimed.

"Then why are you here? The Chartrez family are very liberal and they don't tolerate bigotry of any kind," Brian said.

Harry smiled at that point. "Which means, Craig, that you and Marlene had better watch yourselves and the viper tongues in your heads. I doubt that you can withstand any more hits to your nearly non-existent clientele as it is. The last thing you would want is to be tossed out of here on your asses without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Have a nice stay. Gentlemen," Harry concluded, turning his back on the unwanted couple in favor of Brian and Justin, who he was there to see.

 

As they moved off, Justin felt a little uneasy about the whole situation. He didn't want to start the week off on the wrong foot. "Brian, I'm sorry."

The older man stopped beside him. Turning the blond's downcast eyes upward to face him, he smiled gently. "There isn't any need to be, Sunshine. I too have had my share of experiences with parents. It's a fate worst than death."

Justin burst out laughing, which relieved both Brian and Harry but then grew serious again. "I suppose you have questions..."

Brian nodded. "Plenty of them, but that's for you to tell me when you're ready. I mean I am your ‘partner' after all, so I guess I should know about these things." Brian made the universal signs for air quotes to emphasize his point. They entered the business office at the front of the resort where Brian's briefcase was waiting along with Harry's wife.

Before Justin could answer, Harry did. "It's true that the two of you have a lot to talk about. In fact, we all do. First though, I'd like to introduce you to my wife..."

 

"Ava!" Justin ran over to embrace the petite red-head in the glittering emerald green ballgown. "It's been much too long."

She wrapped her arms around him as well. "That it has, Elf. My let me look at you," she said, her southern accent thick. "I can't remember the last time I've seen you in a suit. Boss or Armani."

Justin laughed. "Ever the fashion queen even though you were born in Mississippi. It's Armani. Brian picked it out."

Ava turned eyes the color of her dress onto the tall man standing next to her husband. "My, my, Justin. I leave you alone for a few years and look at what you bring back. That sure is a tall drink of water, son. Are you sure you want a drink?"

"What makes you think that I haven't taken a sip already?" Justin wrinkled his nose cutely.

She lowered her voice to keep this portion of their conversation private. "Because you don't bottom for just anyone, Justin. In fact, you've never bottomed for anyone. And that man is a top through and through."

"Okay so you're right but..."

Ava shook her head. "No buts, baby boy. If you are ever going to give up your ass, I would suggest that it be to the legendary Brian Kinney."

"How did you... How do you know him?"

She smiled brightly. "My brother was the one who initiated Brian into the joys of gay sex- as Allen terms it- when he was in high school. After that, I would always hear bits and pieces of the man's life through him. Allen has never forgotten his favorite student, even though he hasn't seen Brian in many years and lives his life firmly in the closet. Brian, on the other hand, has always been bold and brash even as a teen; never one to rest on his laurels or accept the mediocre when there is something better out there. You would do well to remember that when dealing with him."

"Who says that I want to deal with him past this week?"

Ava laughed again. "Oh Elf, you're not fooling me! That man has got his hooks into you already. And from where I'm standing, it's not one sided." She giggled even further at Justin's horrified expression from being called the nickname she had given him when he was just a small-statured kid with his blond hair and piercing blue eyes. Now, his hair was longer and his eyes, still that piercing shade of blue, were now a little more worldly. But although he now towered over her, to Ava, Justin would always be her little Elf.

 

They both looked over to the other end of the small space. Justin felt the shock of awareness the moment his and Brian's eyes met. As Brian crossed the room over to them, Justin couldn't help but lick his lips in response to the sudden dryness assaulting his mouth. Brian was truly beautiful, but it was so much more than that. He thought back briefly to how the brunet had quickly reacted to Craig touching him. Part of him protested that Brian stepped in to protect him, but a larger part was secretly thrilled. He could feel the arousal thrum deep within his body as he heard the low growl in Brian's voice as he first issued Craig a warning and then when he was asked to let the annoying asshole go. Justin decided that Ava was right. If there was ever a man Justin wanted to bottom for, it was Brian Kinney.

Justin snapped back to the present in time enough to hear the conversation between Ava, Brian and Harry, leaning into the long, strong arms that had encircled his waist from behind. He felt so comfortable there, as if Brian's body was the most enticing pillow for his back to rest upon. Justin could feel the steady beat of Brian's heart just above his shoulder blade and feel his warm breath just above his ear lobe. It was taking everything in Justin to remain still instead of turning in the man's arms and kissing him senseless. But this wasn't the time for such overtures.

 

"I took the liberty of calling Melanie, Brian," Harry said. "She and I had a long talk about the things you and Justin told me."

"Oh? And what did the she-wolf have to say?" Brian asked with a single eyebrow raised.

Harry chuckled. It wasn't the first time he had been a witness to the name-calling between Brian Kinney and Melanie Marcus. "She said that she was on her way to Pittsburgh."

"What? Why?"

"Apparently, she talked to your accountant. I know that Ted is supposed to bring certain documents regarding your son's college fund with him, but do you have copies of the cancelled support checks with you?"

 

Brian reached out, never fully letting go of his hold on Justin and grabbed his briefcase. He pulled out two large folders containing the copies of cashed checks that he had given Lindsay and Melanie over the years. Ava took hold of them, opening them carefully before sitting down at the desk with a calculator in hand. Brian and Justin watched in amazement as Ava's hands flew across the keys without looking as she began to tally up all of the sheets. She placed them into two piles- one for child support and another for what Brian had termed ‘Incidentals.' The incidental payments was money that was supposed to be paid back to him at no interests for things that pertained to their house in Toronto. Brian hadn't thought much about loaning them the money since it benefitted Gus. But the fact that Michael hadn't been paying anything for the care of Jenny, who he still retained his parental rights for, put everything in a whole new perspective financially.

 

"Who asked you for all of the incidental money, Brian?" Ava asked as she kept going over the figures.

 

"Lindsay did," he answered without hesitation.

 

"Did she ever send you a receipt showing where the money was going?"

 

As Brian was about to answer, Ted walked in with a briefcase of his own, as well as Emmett and Gus. The little boy ran to his father and without a shred of hesitation or dignity, Brian picked up his son, closing his eyes as he inhaled the sweet scent of his Sonny boy. "Gus. God, you've grown so tall. Let me put you down and look at you."

Gus allowed himself to be put down, but he stayed close to his dad. It was as though he was afraid Brian would disappear if he let go of him. "Uncle Ted says that I must have grown about four inches since you guys last saw me," the little boy said proudly.

Brian nodded. "Well Ted is the accountant so I guess he would know. This is Justin. Justin, this is my son, Gus."

 

Justin smiled at the little miniature Brian and held out his hand. He was surprised when the little boy shoved his hand away and instead, embraced him as he had done to Brian. At first, Justin wasn't sure what he should do, but catching Brian's eyes for permission, Justin hugged the little boy back. As Gus pulled back, Justin couldn't help but ruffle the soft auburn hair. It was amazing to him to be welcomed by the son of a man he had only met a few hours ago. Justin felt that his life was drastically changing. For better or worse he wasn't sure yet, but so far he was enjoying the ride.

 

"So you're daddy's boyfriend. I can see why he picked you," Gus said in a sure voice.

 

"Oh really? Why do you think he would pick me instead of Emmett? After all, they're both...tall." Justin laughed.

 

Gus laughed too. "That's silly, Jus. Dad and Auntie Em are like brothers in a sort of weird, alternate universe sort of way."

 

"You mean like a fairy tale, video game, play sibling sort of way?"

 

"Yeah... that's it. They could be brothers on a video game but in real life, they would probably kill each other."

 

The whole room, including Brian and Emmett, erupted in laughter. "Leave it to you and Gus to condense my whole existence down to a video game, Sunshine," Brian said.

 

"Well you would make a good superhero, Mr. Kinney. But first, you need another good sidekick to do his job," Justin replied. "So tell us, Harry, does Brian have a case?"

 

Harry looked up from the stack of papers he was holding that Ted had handed him upon arrival in the office. "Yes, he does, and a very strong one. But first, we have to find out what Lindsay has been doing with the other money that you sent her beyond the child support. I know that Mel said that she hired some sort of private detective to follow you around, but with the sum of money that you have been giving her, even before she left Pittsburgh for Toronto, there has to be something else that we are missing."

 

"I guess we'll have to wait until Melanie gets here to find out."

 

"Mama's coming here? Dad, you aren't going to send me home with her, are you?" Gus' panicked voice rang out. "She'll make me go back to Mom and I don't want to. Not now, not ever especially while she's with that Sam asshole!"

"Gus, language!" Brian chastised sternly although he could understand his son's sentiments. "Now as for the rest, we'll see what happens. I don't think your mama is going to make you go back to Lindsay but if she does, we will handle it."

"You promise?" Gus asked, tears in his eyes.

Brian had never heard his son sound so small, even when he was a little boy. There was definitely more to this than met the eye to make the normally self-assured boy become unconfident in the adults around him. "Yes Gus, I promise."

 

Brian's cell phone rung at that moment. He looked down at the caller ID and rolled his eyes. Lindsay was calling again. Debating with himself on whether to answer it, he was surprised when the phone was snatched out of his hands. Before he had a chance to register what was happening, Justin had pressed the phone's speaker button and held his index finger to his lips for everyone to be quiet.

 

"Brian's phone, who is this?"

 

"Yes, this is Lindsay Petersen, his son's mother. I want to speak with Brian right now." Lindsay's tone was as proper and stinging as it always was when she was having a bad day.

 

"I'm sorry Ms. Petersen, but Brian isn't available. May I take a message?"

 

"No, you may not! I want...wait who are you?"

 

Justin chuckled softly. "That's an easy question, which deserves an equally easy answer. I'm Brian's partner and as I've said, Brian is busy. If you would like to leave a message, I'll give him the message as soon as he is finished with his clients. In the meantime, we have a business to run."

 

"We? Look I don't know who you THINK you are, but you are NOT Brian Kinney's partner!"

 

"And what makes you so sure that I'm not?"

 

"Because I'm Brian's WIFE, therefore you cannot possibly be Brian's partner!" Lindsay sneered.

 

Justin laughed and clapped his hands much in the same way that Harry had done to Craig earlier in the evening. "Bravo, Ms. Lindsay, excellent performance. But here's the thing sweetheart... Unless you've grown a nine-inch cock and have a nice ass, your act needs work. So that said, I'll let Brian know that you called when he's finished with our clients. In the meantime, I would concentrate my efforts on my own partnership, if I were you. I'm sure your WIFE wouldn't have been too happy with you thinking that you are Brian's main squeeze. Looks like you have a lot of apologizing, or should we call it apolo-lying to do since we both know that you're definitely a sorry person, but not in an apologetic kind of way. Gotta run...Ta Ta, for now!" And with that Justin hung up the phone on the sputtering voice, who was trying to deliver a scathing retort.

 

Justin turned around to face the room full of stunned people. He wished he had a camera to capture the looks of each and every facial expression. He couldn't deny that he had taken pleasure in putting the bitch in her place, even if it brought the wrath of Brian Kinney down on his head.

 

Brian cleared his throat after gathering his bearings. "Sunshine, remind me never to piss you off."

 

Justin smiled his full-on smile then. "I promise."     

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

TBC Soon!!